PDA

View Full Version : Primus -- Bridgeport, CT -- July 21st, 2012

MetalMarkLI
07-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Primus headlining the Vibes fest on Saturday night playing a late Saturday set. STS9 played afterl till like 3AM. I was lookin for a :roll: smiley but we dont have one. Must've been a sick show. Your not getting any Hamburger Train's but for a festival I would've been damn pumped with this setlist.

American Life
Prelude to a Crawl
Last Salmon Man
Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers
Groundhog's Day
Frizzle Fry
Over the Falls
Tragedy's a' Comin'
Lee Van Cleef
Mr. Krinkle
Jilly's on Smack
Drum and Whamola Jam
Eleven
Jerry Was a Race Car Driver
My Name Is Mud
Over the Electric Grapevine

Encore:
Tommy the Cat

brutal_descent
07-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Where da format at

Coma323
07-24-2012, 01:48 AM
It was a good show, even with a typical setlist Primus still bring it. Nice to be up front for a show of their's and not have to worry about a pit.

I'd love for them to start playing Hamburger Train.

ShatteredFlame
07-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Did they seriously move a Primus set because it's not metal? :lol:

brutal_descent
07-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Did they seriously move a Primus set because it's not metal? :lol:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/tags.php?tag=primus Doesn't make sense.

TonyD
07-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Woah woah woah... Reel Big Fish belongs in General but Primus?

mankvill
07-25-2012, 02:55 PM
http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQALM10i1z_JCIgT&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi3.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F2uQ76qrlK78%2 Fmqdefault.jpg

MPF
07-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Who is really getting a hair up their ass about what setlists get posted in the Setlist and Gig Reports section? It doesn't say METAL setlists for that section, just setlists.

THis isgoing to get annoying very quickly.

John The Drummer
07-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Didn't someone post a Paramore, or something along those lines, set once upon a time?

mankvill
07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Didn't someone post a Paramore, or something along those lines, set once upon a time?

I posted a Warped review that included Paramore.

christopher
07-25-2012, 04:24 PM

I think treghet posted one when he went to Warped Tour in San Diego last August.

hot_turkey_ed
07-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Who is really getting a hair up their ass about what setlists get posted in the Setlist and Gig Reports section? It doesn't say METAL setlists for that section, just setlists.

THis isgoing to get annoying very quickly.

It is. ;)

Do I really need to explain www.METALsetlists.com?

Dogman
07-26-2012, 01:14 PM

You could explain what is considered metal. That would be a help.

MPF
07-26-2012, 02:12 PM
It is. ;)

Primus isn't Metal? Since when?

hot_turkey_ed
07-26-2012, 07:58 PM
You could explain what is considered metal. That would be a help.

Look at the home page.. top 100 tags... plenty of examples, esp the more popular / bigger tags. Yes, there are names in there that are less metal than others. There a couple names there that aren't listed as metal in my iTunes but I can stretch an argument to why they might included here. The list isn't perfect.

Primus isn't Metal? Since when?

When was it ever? One could describe Primus a lot of ways but I'm not sure metal would really be one of them. As a bassist myself, I'm a huge Les Claypool fan.

Bottom-line: This isn't about defining a metal orthodoxy. It's our editorial discretion as to what thread goes where. We've allowed non-metal in the discussion in the past, and will continue to do so at our discretion. There are times when such threads may get moved. Some got moved today.

If someone is truly upset about a move, make a constructive post or pm me.

ShatteredFlame
07-26-2012, 11:43 PM
When was it ever? One could describe Primus a lot of ways but I'm not sure metal would really be one of them. As a bassist myself, I'm a huge Les Claypool fan.

http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Funk+Metal/

hot_turkey_ed
07-27-2012, 03:59 AM
http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Funk+Metal/

Fair enough, constructive.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_metal)"Funk metal is a subgenre of funk rock that fuses elements of heavy metal and funk. Allmusic has claimed that "funk metal evolved in the mid-'80s when alternative bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fishbone began playing the hybrid with a stronger funk underpinning than metal." Interesting in same introduction... "Primus, a band that has never had a clear genre, ...".

Looking at Funk Rock ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_rock), there is clearly something else more ( a lot more) going on in terms of influences than metal.

I consider a lot of these bands against the context of normative metal culture, and it results in them being placed in macro categories -- fair or not -- outside Metal. It's not a judgment on the quality of their music, only on their place in the musical universe as I see it. In my iTunes, Primus is tagged Alternative -- even though to me, Primus is just Primus / unique.

Forget for a moment that Funk Metal has the word metal in it. And screw what others think it is. Consider the music and scene. Is that really metal? Formative years of many of these bands? Primus in particular? Was that really metal?

What do you think? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

treghet
07-27-2012, 04:09 AM
Fair enough, constructive.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_metal)"Funk metal is a subgenre of funk rock that fuses elements of heavy metal and funk. Allmusic has claimed that "funk metal evolved in the mid-'80s when alternative bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fishbone began playing the hybrid with a stronger funk underpinning than metal." Interesting in same introduction... "Primus, a band that has never had a clear genre, ...".

Looking at Funk Rock ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_rock), there is clearly something else more ( a lot more) going on in terms of influences than metal.

I consider a lot of these bands against the context of normative metal culture, and it results in them being placed in macro categories -- fair or not -- outside Metal. It's not a judgment on the quality of their music, only on their place in the musical universe as I see it. In my iTunes, Primus is tagged Alternative -- even though to me, Primus is just Primus / unique.

Forget for a moment that Funk Metal has the word metal in it. And Screw what others think it is. Consider the music and scene. Is that really metal? Formative years of many of these bands? Primus in particular? Was that really metal?

I've never thought of Primus as a metal band, and funk metal really isn't metal to me. Same goes for rap metal. The genre does have a little bit of metal influence, but it's so minute that I don't think it's enough to warrant calling it "metal".

ShatteredFlame
07-27-2012, 05:40 AM

Forget for a moment that Funk Metal has the word metal in it. And screw what others think it is. Consider the music and scene. Is that really metal? Formative years of many of these bands? Primus in particular? Was that really metal?

Personally I don't really care if something makes an impact on the metal scene in order to be considered metal. Metal can mix with many different musical styles and even if it's not completely metal, I wouldn't take a metal tag away from. Many avant-garde metal acts like Maudlin of the Well can range from mixing classical tracks to straight up death metal tracks, or mix both in the same track. Regardless if they belonged to a particular scene or not, or if their albums aren't completely composed of metal riffs, people are still going to consider them metal.

IrritatedTrout
07-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Primus isn't metal.

But they're pretty close.

And they're good.

It's not hard.:lol:

John The Drummer
07-27-2012, 12:23 PM
THATS IT, IM POSTING A SOULJA BOY TELL 'EM SET!!!!

Natrlhi
07-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Primus headlining the Vibes fest on Saturday night playing a late Saturday set. STS9 played afterl till like 3AM. I was lookin for a :roll: smiley but we dont have one. Must've been a sick show. Your not getting any Hamburger Train's but for a festival I would've been damn pumped with this setlist.

American Life
Prelude to a Crawl
Last Salmon Man
Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers
Groundhog's Day
Frizzle Fry
Over the Falls
Tragedy's a' Comin'
Lee Van Cleef
Mr. Krinkle
Jilly's on Smack
Drum and Whamola Jam
Eleven
Jerry Was a Race Car Driver
My Name Is Mud
Over the Electric Grapevine

Encore:
Tommy the CatI guess I'll be the first person in several pages to make an on-topic post (;)):

Nice setlist. If they're gonna play a balanced set with some new stuff and mostly old, I'm glad they picked these particular tracks from Green Naugahyde - especially "Jilly's on Smack". That's one of my favorite songs of theirs, ever. :bowdown: