PDA

View Full Version : Baronness - Cake Frosting Diarrhea Discussion Thread

JRA
07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
I have not bought this yet but I have not heard good things about it. Shit like they got way too flowery and what have you. Fans opine here. Is this worth my time or should I turn my back and hope the voice of Ghost's singer grows a pair of balls?

IrritatedTrout
07-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I like it. It's mellow for sure but unless you're a slave to the stupid mentality that brutality and heaviness is the only redeeming quality of music then you should try it out.

powerslave_85
07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
I fucking love it.

mankvill
07-18-2012, 06:24 PM
From what I've heard, it sounds amazing.

JRA
07-18-2012, 07:05 PM
I like it. It's mellow for sure but unless you're a slave to the stupid mentality that brutality and heaviness is the only redeeming quality of music then you should try it out.

The thing I loved about Baroness (or at least their first two records) was they were a modern metal band but with all the classic metal trimmings: singing over Randy Blythe vocals, guitar solos etc. I didn't really like alot of the soft flowery moments on Blue Record but there were just enough so the whole thing tipped over. From what I gather the album is 3/4 that and 1/4 of actual metal (or at least Red Album style metal).

InFlamesOfBirchmen
07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
If you listened to the Blue Album, you could tell they'd be heading in a different direction, so personally, I don't understand the surprise about the style change. Its still distinctly Baroness, its just a bit different from their previous output. Personally, I love it.

JRA
07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
If you listened to the Blue Album, you could tell they'd be heading in a different direction, so personally, I don't understand the surprise about the style change. Its still distinctly Baroness, its just a bit different from their previous output. Personally, I love it.

True. It's just when I read shit like this from critics:

If you enjoy your doom/stoner/groove rock spoon fed to you, well, get ready to scratch your heads and stare at Yellow & Green like a dog that has been shown a card trick.

That's a red flag indicating the album is going to suck hard.

There's also this quote from a former member from a long time ago:

The rendition of "Steel That Sleeps the Eye" they did reminded me of Staind. Staind is not what I want to be thinking about at a Baroness show. :hecho:

InFlamesOfBirchmen
07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Ah, jeez...yeah, some of the reviewers don't get it. Just go into it with an open mind and make up your own opinion. You may love it, you may hate it. On the bright side, if you hate it, you still have the old albums.

BloodoftheKings
07-18-2012, 08:20 PM
It's my favorite Baroness album. Come at me fagets.

JRA
07-18-2012, 08:32 PM
:lol: I don't quite think that candor is necessary.

XDoomsayerX
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Hmmm I dug what I've heard so far. Seriously March to the Sea. Love that tune!

MPF
07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
How can real music fans hate this? If you don't dig this style of music, I get that, but if they only reason is because they are not as sludgey and more mellow is just retarded.

This is a damn killer album and even I would say this is my favorite Baroness album.

XDoomsayerX
07-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Almost done listening to it and it's great. This band is just amazing. Fucking love the mellowness to it. Who knows what the band will do next, I appreciate each album for what they are. I mean bands/artists write music depending on what state of mind they are in and this is a great one!

powerslave_85
07-19-2012, 03:12 AM
How can real music fans hate this? If you don't dig this style of music, I get that, but if they only reason is because they are not as sludgey and more mellow is just retarded.

This is a damn killer album and even I would say this is my favorite Baroness album.
Exactly. And really, there's maybe two songs on here that are a total departure for them. If you've been listening to Baroness all along, this stylistic shift shouldn't surprise you at all.

mastodon421
07-19-2012, 04:19 AM
I have given it multiple tries and went in with an open mind, but I think this album is god awful. I was bored as all hell listening to this and the distinct lack of emotion or originality on this album makes it painful to listen to. Yellow isn't too bad (outside of Eula and Little Things), but Green is nothing short of an abomination imo. John Baizley doesn't have the vocal chops (I'm not saying he is a bad vocalist because he is far from it, but his voice is way better suited to be singing progressive/sludge metal indie folk not to mention that music is extremely bland. I have no issue with change in sound, It's just that Baroness's new sound fails on just about every level. If they don't want make metal albums anymore fine, but they have no business making indie folk shit either imo. It really pains me to hate a Baroness album this much considering how much I love their other material, but I just can not get behind their new sound at all.

Cross Face Chicken Wing
07-19-2012, 04:23 AM
If you like metal, and only metal (mostly), you're not going to like this record. I've read reviews and interviews talking about how Baroness is redefining metal and what's considered "heavy" with this record. That's complete bullshit because this record is not metal and it's not heavy. Just because a band goes from playing heavy metal to not playing heavy metal doesn't mean they're redefining the entire genre.

Anyway, I like the album. It's frustrating at times because you don't get many of those powerful moments that you know Baroness is capable of, but the album moves you in other ways. The other negative is that it's a little too much. A single album with 12 or 13 songs might have been the way to go during this transitional phase.

w00tasaurus
07-19-2012, 05:18 AM
I love it. I prefer their heavier sound, and hope they return to it on their next album. However, it's still definitely Baroness and I'm glad they made this album.

dcmetal108
07-19-2012, 05:58 AM
I've listened to it a good amount now and there are a few songs I like but I just feel like a good 85% of the album is filler with no purpose.

BloodoftheKings
07-19-2012, 07:19 AM
I have given it multiple tries and went in with an open mind, but I think this album is god awful. I was bored as all hell listening to this and the distinct lack of emotion or originality on this album makes it painful to listen to. Yellow isn't too bad (outside of Eula and Little Things), but Green is nothing short of an abomination imo. John Baizley doesn't have the vocal chops (I'm not saying he is a bad vocalist because he is far from it, but his voice is way better suited to be singing progressive/sludge metal indie folk not to mention that music is extremely bland. I have no issue with change in sound, It's just that Baroness's new sound fails on just about every level. If they don't want make metal albums anymore fine, but they have no business making indie folk shit either imo. It really pains me to hate a Baroness album this much considering how much I love their other material, but I just can not get behind their new sound at all.

I've listened to it a good amount now and there are a few songs I like but I just feel like a good 85% of the album is filler with no purpose.

http://filmgenius.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/no-country-for-old-men_tommy-lee-jones_josh-brolin_javier-bardem_91.jpg

slapguitarer
07-19-2012, 07:46 AM
While I really do like this record, it isn't even close to the same level of awesome as Red or Blue.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
No business making indie folk shit? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but go back and listen to the Blue Album. Half of that shit was indie folk.

BloodoftheKings
07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
they have no business making indie folk shit either imo.

go back and listen to the Blue Album. Half of that shit was indie folk.

Do you guys know what indie folk sounds like? I've heard Baroness' whole discography and they don't have one song that sounds like indie folk.

slapguitarer
07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Also, it's Blue Record.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
07-19-2012, 01:46 PM
^ yup, my bad.

At the very least, Steel That Sleeps the Eye and Twinkler can be considered indie folk shit. I'm not talking Devendra Banhart or anything, but in my opinion, at least a few songs can be considered indie folk.

llama lom
07-19-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm absolutely in love with this album. I can understand why fans of Baroness are comparing this to their older material in terms of quality, but that shouldn't detract from the fact that this has the signature Baroness style of writing and dynamic, just with a different mentality going into it. Like it's been said, if you go in with an open mind and don't go in expecting same ol' Baroness, you'll probably get a better experience.

mastodon421
07-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Do you guys know what indie folk sounds like? I've heard Baroness' whole discography and they don't have one song that sounds like indie folk.

Fuck yes I do, The Green half of this album sounds like a bad Fleet Foxes or Neutral Milk Hotel cover band you would hear at any hipster bar in the country. You like this album cool that's your opinion, but if you don't the Green half of this album sounds like indie folk (especially "Foolsong" and "Collapse") your fucking high.

BloodoftheKings
07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Fuck yes I do, The Green half of this album sounds like a bad Fleet Foxes or Neutral Milk Hotel cover band you would hear at any hipster bar in the country. You like this album cool that's your opinion, but if you don't the Green half of this album sounds like indie folk (especially "Foolsong" and "Collapse") your fucking high.

http://filmgenius.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/no-country-for-old-men_tommy-lee-jones_josh-brolin_javier-bardem_91.jpg

mankvill
07-19-2012, 07:30 PM

whadafuck. i gotta hear this now.

XDoomsayerX
07-19-2012, 07:42 PM

So you're saying check these artists out if I dig the new Baroness. Weird way to approach this but I see.

mankvill
07-19-2012, 07:43 PM
I checked out those two songs. Doesn't sound like indie folk at all. :tp: (although you should still check out NMH)

Honestly, it just sounds like they're doing their progressive thing. I didn't like Collapse that much, but I was really digging Foolsong. Sounds like Explosions In The Sky with lyrics, or maybe even a mellower/jammier part of a BTBAM song. Me gusta.

XDoomsayerX
07-19-2012, 07:54 PM
I checked out those two songs. Doesn't sound like indie folk at all. :tp: (although you should still check out NMH)

Honestly, it just sounds like they're doing their progressive thing. I didn't like Collapse that much, but I was really digging Foolsong. Sounds like Explosions In The Sky with lyrics, or maybe even a mellower/jammier part of a BTBAM song. Me gusta.

Yup who would funk it. Another peeps bitching led me to discover a good band. Haha

HugeRockStar
07-19-2012, 08:31 PM
I enjoy it quite a bit. Everyone shits on the Green side but the song Board Up The House is probably my favorite on the album. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the heaviness but I'll continue to follow them cuz I think they're great songwriters and musicians.

Rocco44
07-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I still have to listen to this a few more times but this album just bores me for the most part. I dig about half of what I've heard but the other half just sounds like uninspired crap to me.

TonyD
07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Well they've gone from using softer material as preludes and interludes to the heavy songs to making it part of the main attraction. I can't be mad or call it teh gay but it's a little bit of a letdown.
I'm totally in love with the beginning and end of each record, but it especially drags for me in the middle of Green. Still haven't had a chance to totally absorb everything yet so I'll give it a few more listens. I'm also disappointed with what a song titled "Cocainium" ended up being on what's supposed to be the heavy disc.
Part of me wants to say "should have just made it a 50 minute album" since Yellow, Bones, March, Little Things, Sea Lungs, Eula, Green, Board Up, The Line Between and the outro are all killer.

jd091
07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
While I really do like this record, it isn't even close to the same level of awesome as Red or Blue.

Replace that with First, Second, and the the Unpersons split, and then you're talkin'.

zgodt
08-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I love the Blue Record, but I love this a lot more than I would if it were another Blue Record. I've still got the Blue Record to be the Blue Record.

Blue Record Blue Record Blue Record.

Seriously, "Psalms Alive" may be my new favorite Baroness song. And the least expected. The Green Record kicks ass.

I could see comparisons between "Foolsong" and "Collapse" to some strands in indie rock, but indie folk? They sound nothing like Fleet Foxes or Neutral Milk Hotel. (Is Neutral Milk Hotel "indie folk"?) More like Pink Floyd, really, or maybe certain songs by Flaming Lips. Whatever. Genre dogma is boring. It's a silly argument, and I already regret having picked it up. I'm gonna go back to listening to Baroness now.

zgodt
08-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Okay, in fairness, "Twinkler" actually sounds a LOT like Fleet Foxes. But that's on the Yellow disc.

And also, it's beautiful. I'd take it over, say, "Steel that Sleeps the Eye" anyday.

jd091
08-05-2012, 07:42 AM
The needle drop did a pretty well-articulated review of this, if any of you are into Anthony Fagtano :tongue:

WOLVERINEKILLS
08-12-2012, 09:52 PM

/\ /\ /\ I agree 100%

illuminatus917
08-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Seriously, "Psalms Alive" may be my new favorite Baroness song. And the least expected. The Green Record kicks ass.

I really like the Psalms Alive > Stretchmarker sequence.

I wish they'd put a few more instrumental tracks on this album.

Blackened12
08-20-2012, 07:47 PM
The needle drop did a pretty well-articulated review of this, if any of you are into Anthony Fagtano :tongue:

:lol: I find most of his reviews to be very informing and articulate. Won't lie though, I've bought records on his recommendation and been underwhelmed though.

JRA
10-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Burned a friends copy of Yellow & Green onto my computer. Yellow blows. Glad I didn't pay for it.

mastodon421
10-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Burned a friends copy of Yellow & Green onto my computer. Yellow blows. Glad I didn't pay for it.

:party:

Natrlhi
10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Yellow blows.That's what I thought at first, too. Then, after having some patience and litening a few more times, I realized that I was wrong. :finger:

illuminatus917
10-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Remember when Fa Zhou told Mulan that the latest blossom would end up being be the most beautiful of all?

That's the Baroness album.

brutal_descent
10-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Remember when Fa Zhou told Mulan that the latest blossom would end up being be the most beautiful of all?

That's the Baroness album.

:lol:

JRA
10-06-2012, 03:19 PM
That's what I thought at first, too. Then, after having some patience and litening a few more times, I realized that I was wrong. :finger:

:lol: I always give an album a 3-4 listen window of understanding, and I intend to do the same thing for Yellow. Well, maybe 2-3. ;)

Natrlhi
10-06-2012, 04:39 PM
:lol: I always give an album a 3-4 listen window of understanding, and I intend to do the same thing for Yellow. Well, maybe 2-3. ;)Well in all honesty, it may take longer than that. I'm not gonna lie - despite the things I've said around here lately, I almost gave up on Yellow & Green myself - but it's fucking Baroness. Lukcily for me, they have enough cred in my book that I hung in there longer than I would have for most other bands, and I'm so glad I did.

A few tracks on Yellow hit me right away as being good, such as "Yellow Theme", "Take My Bones Away", and most especially "March to the Sea" (frankly, that's one of my favorite Baroness tunes of all time). Others took a bit longer, such as "Sea Lungs" and "Cocainium" (the end of this track is so good, I learned to live with the odd beginning simply because I knew what was coming later in the song whenever I listened to it). The true beauty of "Twinkler" took a while to set in because of my initial shock at how mellow many of the tracks were, but that's one seriously sexy tune right there. "Little Things" and "Eula" are just OK. I still can't stand "Back Where I Belong". I skip it every time.

Green was even more of a grower. "Green Theme" and "Board Up the House" are fantastic, and "Stretchmarker" might be one of the most beautiful tracks ever made by anyone, ever. However, "Mtns. (The Crown and Anchor)" and "The Line Between" took a bit longer. "Collapse" hit me the same way as "Twinkler" did - I thought it was WAY too mellow at first, but later I came to appreciate it. The outro track is a throw-away type thing. I still can't stand "Foolsong". The most controversial song for me on both halves of the album is "Psalms Alive", because at first I absolutely hated it, and for a while I was convinced they were actually singing off key. Just before the halfway point, though, the song turns on a dime and lunges for your throat. From there on in, it's fantastic - so I suppose it's a bit like "Cocainium" in that regard.

Overall, I think I prefer Yellow by a very slight margin. Now that the dust has settled from all the butthurt, false praise, hype, anti-hype, wailing & gnashing of teeth and so forth that took place when the album first dropped, I think I can say that it was a challenging album to love right out of the gates, but the more I listen to it, the more I appreciate it. I still prefer Red and Blue when I'm in a purely metal mood, and I've come to terms with the fact that Baroness may never make another album like those two. Their EP's are even better when it comes to the heavy-sounding stuff. So at the end of the day, I have enough ass-kickery from Baroness to last me for many years. If they want to go ahead and evolve their sound into something none of us ever expected - but which makes them happy - then who am I to complain?

JRA
10-06-2012, 07:03 PM
The problem with the "mellow at first but gets heavy" tracks is Baroness are already spending way too much time being mellow to begin with. If you're rocking 6 tracks in a row, then you're allowed to switch it up like that. But the problem is, they're spending so much goddamn time being "beautiful" that by the time one of the "epic" tracks comes up, I'm too pissed off to care.

BloodoftheKings
10-06-2012, 07:20 PM
The problem with the "mellow at first but gets heavy" tracks is Baroness are already spending way too much time being mellow to begin with. If you're rocking 6 tracks in a row, then you're allowed to switch it up like that. But the problem is, they're spending so much goddamn time being "beautiful" that by the time one of the "epic" tracks comes up, I'm too pissed off to care.

That's not a problem with the album, that's just your personal gripe with it.

powerslave_85
10-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Yep.

El Gordo
10-07-2012, 04:40 AM

I'm with JRA here. It IS a problem. It's fucking boring. And I get the whole thing where some albums take a while to click with you, but I HATE having to TRY and like an album. It has happened to me before, but generally if I don't like an album after say, 2 listens, I'm done. On to the next one. There's too much music out there for me to listen to to spend time on stuff I don't like.

BloodoftheKings
10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm with JRA here. It IS a problem. It's fucking boring. And I get the whole thing where some albums take a while to click with you, but I HATE having to TRY and like an album. It has happened to me before, but generally if I don't like an album after say, 2 listens, I'm done. On to the next one. There's too much music out there for me to listen to to spend time on stuff I don't like.

The album clicked with me on my first listen. I pretty sure Baroness made this album knowing that not everybody was gonna like it. If the new direction isn't your thing that's fine but I don't think it's fair to say they fucked up because it seems to me that they succeeded in exactly what they were trying to do.

El Gordo
10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
The album clicked with me on my first listen. I pretty sure Baroness made this album knowing that not everybody was gonna like it. If the new direction isn't your thing that's fine but I don't think it's fair to say they fucked up because it seems to me that they succeeded in exactly what they were trying to do.

I didn't say they fucked up. I said I don't like it and that it's boring. I'm sure they did expect that kind of reaction too, any time you have a metal band who is trying to break into a bit of a different genre, usually that means incorporating more mellow/acoustic/soft elements into the music, and when your fan base is made up of people who want heavy/fast/chaotic music, it's going to cause a divide. I, for one, know what I like. I don't like Yellow & Green. Does it mean I won't listen to another Baroness album? Nope. I just won't listen to this one very much if at all.

DethMaiden
10-08-2012, 05:27 AM
I, for one, know what I like.

I don't. I guess that's why I like it. :(

Natrlhi
10-08-2012, 09:31 AM
The problem with the "mellow at first but gets heavy" tracks is Baroness are already spending way too much time being mellow to begin with. If you're rocking 6 tracks in a row, then you're allowed to switch it up like that. But the problem is, they're spending so much goddamn time being "beautiful" that by the time one of the "epic" tracks comes up, I'm too pissed off to care.Oh no, I get it. That's why I posted the comments that I did - bacause I was once in your shoes.

However, after I accepted the fact that this was a completely different album from anything the band had done previously, then all I had to do was ask myself, "do you like this?" Plain and simple. Ask yourself - if it were an album by another band - would you like it? Once I freed myself of the expectations that had been built up by virtue of the band's previous work, it got a lot easier to appreciate Yellow & Green, because the fact is that there are some great moments on the album. Is it flawless? No. Is it chock full of awesomeness? No. Like I said, a few songs are awesome, several are good, a few are just OK. It also has some flat-out turds on it, but out of eighteen songs, I can handle a couple of warts.

I just think that if you're able to get to the point where you listen to it 100% independently of who made the album, you might find more to like.

Or maybe not. Yellow & Green ain't for everybody.

powerslave_85
10-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Like I said, a few songs are awesome, several are good, a few are just OK. It also has some flat-out turds on it, but out of eighteen songs, I can handle a couple of warts.Yeah. I mean, in the history of rock you can probably count on one hand the number of double albums that are masterpieces from front to back. Being, like, 90% awesome is a success in my book.

JRA
10-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Ask yourself - if it were an album by another band - would you like it? Once I freed myself of the expectations that had been built up by virtue of the band's previous work, it got a lot easier to appreciate Yellow & Green, because the fact is that there are some great moments on the album.

I will confess I do fall under that particular trap with certain bands, as some tend to succumb to weaknesses or trappings more than others. and that is a great idea about any other band.

However, I can for certain say, that if this was the new High on Fire or Van Halen album, I would still be fucking pissed. Probably even moreso than usual.

Natrlhi
10-08-2012, 01:08 PM
If any band Matt Pike was in were to release an album that sounded like Yellow & Green, I would be instantly and irrevocably convinced that Matt had either lost his fucking mind or was being controlled by aliens from another dimension.

JRA
10-08-2012, 02:18 PM
My point exactly. and it's not even based on musical personality, no band daring to call themselves a rock band should ever release something with 60% acoustic fluff.

Christ, I'm sure even Mikael Akerfeldt is laughing at these guys.

anomynous
10-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Let's not take it that far.

JRA
11-21-2012, 01:38 PM
So a lot of you are probably convinced that alot of my rigid standards are picked up from Ultraboris. Well let me drop a cold hard Ultraboris...ism on you.

"Ya know, the first time I heard it, I didn't like it at all. So I didn't listen to it for another two weeks. But then I went back to it, gave it another chance, and now I'm a better person for it. Let this be a lesson for you all, everyone. Give things another chance. That includes Drano. If you can survive drinking Drano once, I don't see why you can't survive it twice."

So about two weeks later, I gave it another chance. And another. and another.
Needless to say, I've come to like it. Not love it, mind you. I still think anyone who puts this at #2 on their albums of the year is overrating it (the new Van Halen, Rush, and High on Fire smoke the hell out of this, so at most it should be #4 ;)), and I still think having this be a double album was mistake, but I can't quite bring myself to hate it. I personally think it should have been an album composed of all the rock tracks and then take all the soft stuff, use Eula as a skeletal framework and build around that, especially since Eula is awesome.

hb420
11-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Yellow is flawless if they had just trimmed out almost the entirety of Green sans a few songs and just made one album. It would be unstoppable. As it is though they way I see it this is the experimental jump/phase to launch Baroness into greener pastures. Their next album which will probably their major label debut is the one to look out for.

El Gordo
11-21-2012, 05:14 PM
So a lot of you are probably convinced that alot of my rigid standards are picked up from Ultraboris. Well let me drop a cold hard Ultraboris...ism on you.

"Ya know, the first time I heard it, I didn't like it at all. So I didn't listen to it for another two weeks. But then I went back to it, gave it another chance, and now I'm a better person for it. Let this be a lesson for you all, everyone. Give things another chance. That includes Drano. If you can survive drinking Drano once, I don't see why you can't survive it twice."

You talk about Ultraboris waaaay too often... even though the last time was probably like six months ago.