http://www.steveharrisbritishlion.com/

album out sept 24 th

wow, what a surprise, I'm floored

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

ravenheart
07-18-2012, 08:07 AM
What?

The failure to mention who is singing concerns me.

PowerMaiden
07-18-2012, 08:31 AM
The failure to mention who is singing concerns me.

me too

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
07-18-2012, 08:51 AM
This is the only part of the article linked in the first post that mentions the singer:

"From the growling riffage of opening salvo This Is My God to the heavy forlorn balladry of follow-up Lost Worlds which showcases Richard Taylor’s soaring vocals, it’s clear that ‘British Lion’ is an altogether different beast from Maiden"

I have no clue who Richard Taylor is, maybe ravenheart can help us out there?

ravenheart
07-18-2012, 08:56 AM
This is the only part of the article linked in the first post that mentions the singer:

"From the growling riffage of opening salvo This Is My God to the heavy forlorn balladry of follow-up Lost Worlds which showcases Richard Taylor’s soaring vocals, it’s clear that ‘British Lion’ is an altogether different beast from Maiden"

I have no clue who Richard Taylor is, maybe ravenheart can help us out there?

Good spot, missed that. I'll look into him. My immediate reaction is it's the guy who toured with Screamin' Lords for a bit... but that might be wrong.

EDIT: Nope, different guy. That was Richard Frost. Shame, because he was fucking awesome. Only likely Richard Taylor seems to be the guy who played guitar in Bandits with Alvin Lee... doubt it's him.

IrritatedTrout
07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm excited to hear this. But I hope this is an album of tunes that have been written for awhile that wouldn't necessarily work on a Maiden album. I hope he isn't using up good ideas for this instead of Maiden.

Travis The Dragon
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
I am very surprised and excited for this! I bet it will sound like Maiden as far as Steve's bass playing is concerned, but it will also have it's own sound as far as the guitars go. Either way, I can't wait for this!

powerslave_85
07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm excited to hear this. But I hope this is an album of tunes that have been written for awhile that wouldn't necessarily work on a Maiden album. I hope he isn't using up good ideas for this instead of Maiden.
The stuff he's been writing for Maiden lately have been his "good" ideas? Yikes.

IrritatedTrout
07-18-2012, 06:13 PM
:tp:

When The Wild Wind Blows, For The Greater Good of God, No More Lies, Blood Brothers.

All fucking great songs. And that's only mentioning the ones written solely by him.

SirLardsAlot
07-18-2012, 06:32 PM
:tp:

When The Wild Wind Blows, For The Greater Good of God, No More Lies, Blood Brothers.

All fucking great songs. And that's only mentioning the ones written solely by him.

I'll give ya Blood Brothers and No More Lies...

EvilCheeseWedge
07-18-2012, 06:53 PM
The stuff he's been writing for Maiden lately have been his "good" ideas? Yikes.

:light:

JRA
07-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Yea....yea. It's a bit harsh (and a stretch) to say this, but Harris has kind of become George Lucas.

Although now that I think about it, a "remastered"* version of the first album wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

*with the Killers guitar tone of course

also, LOL @ ECW's timely resurfacing.

powerslave_85
07-18-2012, 07:20 PM
His songwriting has just gotten really lazy on the last couple album, and some of his lyrics make zero sense grammatically.

Travis The Dragon
09-19-2012, 07:48 PM
We have a treat lined up for you! Tomorrow (Thursday 20th) you'll be able to hear the whole album online! Stay tuned for details...
Hell yes!!!

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
It's as if they know there's gonna be a lot of people who are gonna need to hear it before they decide to buy it. :tongue:

Spiner202
09-20-2012, 05:03 AM
I've only listened to one song but the vocals on this are just not good :(

hot_turkey_ed
09-20-2012, 05:09 AM
Streaming the album:

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/steve-harris-british-lion-full-album-streaming-exclusively-on-metal-hammer/

ravenheart
09-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Totally digging it musically, but yeah, those vocals aren't up to much, and the mix is horrible.

ravenheart
09-20-2012, 05:12 AM
It's as if they know there's gonna be a lot of people who are gonna need to hear it before they decide to buy it. :tongue:

Most bands stream their new albums before release now. I think it's a good thing.

hot_turkey_ed
09-20-2012, 05:23 AM
I've only listened to one song but the vocals on this are just not good :(

The vocals don't particularly strike me. After listening to a few of the songs, I don't fucking hate him either. The internet is going to be far less kind to him today.

This album will be one of those that I'll look forward to hearing on shuffle. It probably won't be something I play for hours on end on repeat.

IrritatedTrout
09-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Going to check it out in a minute.

ravenheart
09-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Going to check it out in a minute.

I'll be right here on the edge of my seat.

IrritatedTrout
09-20-2012, 07:13 AM
This album is really not that good. :( The vocals and the riffs are weak. It's decent, but there are no real great tracks. And Karma Killer and Judas just suck. Hell, if someone put this album on without me having heard it or known what I was listening to I would have no idea Steve had anything to do with it.

I need to listen some more but I think this falls on the Primal Rock Rebellion side of Maiden side projects as apposed to the Bruce Dickinson side. Largely forgettable.

IrritatedTrout
09-20-2012, 07:14 AM
I'll be right here on the edge of my seat.

Didn't have to wait long.

ravenheart
09-20-2012, 07:18 AM
This album is really not that good. :( The vocals and the riffs are weak.

The riffs are the only part of it I really like.

Hell, if someone put this album on without me having heard it or known what I was listening to I would have no idea Steve had anything to do with it.

Apart from the horrible mix where the bass drowns out the vocals? That's Steve's trademark ;)

IrritatedTrout
09-20-2012, 07:29 AM
I can't hear the bass that much because I'm listening on computer speakers right now. But hell, with vocals like that I'm fine with hearing too much bass.:lol:

Seriously though, this guy isn't that bad but he's just sort of bland.

IrritatedTrout
09-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Listened to it about 3 times now. Hate to say it but I don't think I'll be buying this. Steve's my favorite musician and good for him for doing something he's been wanting to but I'm not a fan. I'll wait for the new Maiden album.

Fe Maiden
09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't think I'll be buying this. I'll wait for the new Maiden album.Ditto

Travis The Dragon
09-20-2012, 02:08 PM
I just started listening and am on the 2nd song. It's not too bad. It sounds like an above average 70's rock album with somewhat above average vocals. Maybe after a few listens, it will kind of grow on me.

ravenheart
09-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I just started listening and am on the 2nd song. It's not too bad. It sounds like an above average 70's rock album with somewhat above average vocals. Maybe after a few listens, it will kind of grow on me.

Above average?

PowerMaiden
09-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I just started it ...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

SomewhereInTime72
09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Above average?

Yeah, what. The vocals are definitely one of the weakest aspects, being pretty much as bad as vocals can be without being unacceptable.

I have a lot I could say about this, but I'm tired and can't organize my thoughts very well so I'll just say that I am not impressed.