PDA

View Full Version : Onioner's Interviews Thread

Onioner
07-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Hey all, as some of you know I've been writing for Metal Assault for ten months or so now, and I've just started doing some interviews. Ever since Andrew Metalhead left for India, I've been doing the majority of concert reviews for Metal Assault, but now I'm finally giving interviews a shot. I'm starting out small with this first one, a local thrash band from Santa Rosa called Hatchet, but I'll be doing some bigger bands in the coming months. Check it out! If you like it, cool, if not, I'd love to know how I'd be able to improve the interview. That also goes for when and if I put up audio and video interviews in this thread.

This interview was tough because Hatchet have released only one album so far, and they've mainly been performing as an opening act for local concerts, so coming up with questions about the band and their material was a bit tricky. All four members also wanted to be a part of the interview, so that also made it tough to keep everyone involved. They're all really smart and pragmatic guys, and it doesn't really come out in the transcribed interview, but they're also a ton of fun to hang out with. Enjoy, and I look forward to your feedback guys! :)

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/07/15/in-depth-interview-with-hatchet/

P.S., if this should go in another section of the site, the mods are free to move the thread.

MPF
07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Will be checking this out soon! Glad to finally see a thread from you on this!

Onioner
08-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Here's an interview I did with a death/thrash band from San Jose, Speed. Now you can all hear my awkward fucking voice haha.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/08/22/speed-discuss-origins-influences-and-future-plans-audio/

I know I said this is in the other post, but I should be doing some pretty cool interviews in the fall, so hopefully those end up happening! I should also be interviewing Vektor when they drop by SF in a couple weeks.

Spiner202
08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Great interview with Hatchet. I've only had the chance to do one interview, so I know how hard coming up with questions is, but you did an awesome job. It's interesting to hear about the thrash resurgence because it seems like it was relatively short lived. I remember back in 2009 and 2010, thrash albums were coming out left and right, but now that seems to have slowed a little bit.

Hatchet are a great band, but much like Invection, they're another California thrash band that seems to have lost a bit of momentum in the last couple of years. I'm still interested in hearing something new from them though.

Onioner
08-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Great interview with Hatchet. I've only had the chance to do one interview, so I know how hard coming up with questions is, but you did an awesome job. It's interesting to hear about the thrash resurgence because it seems like it was relatively short lived. I remember back in 2009 and 2010, thrash albums were coming out left and right, but now that seems to have slowed a little bit.

Hatchet are a great band, but much like Invection, they're another California thrash band that seems to have lost a bit of momentum in the last couple of years. I'm still interested in hearing something new from them though.

Thank you for the compliment! You're right, the thrash resurgence really was a pretty short thing. I remember in high school, shows with really killer bills used to happen every weekend and now the shows that do happen are all over the place in terms of the music represented and have crappy turnouts.

Hatchet really are a damn good band, and they're always a treat to see live. It really is sad though that the peak of success that a thrash band can reach these days is the level of Warbringer or Municipal Waste, and from what I know those guys barely pay their bills. Hopefully now that Orchid signed with Nuclear Blast more labels will be looking for Bay Area bands to sign. There are some amazingly talented acts here, but I feel like no label wants to even check them out.

Speaking of local shows with weird bills and bad turnouts, here's my review of the show that Speed played on.
http://metalassault.com/gig_reviews/2012/08/12/bay-area-youth-show-their-skills-in-walnut-creek-bay-area-reviewer-scarred-for-life/

Spiner202
08-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Thank you for the compliment! You're right, the thrash resurgence really was a pretty short thing. I remember in high school, shows with really killer bills used to happen every weekend and now the shows that do happen are all over the place in terms of the music represented and have crappy turnouts.

I'm pretty jealous that you were right in the heart of it. In Toronto we pretty much only have Fatality (who are awesome, but not enough for tons of thrash shows).

Hatchet really are a damn good band, and they're always a treat to see live. It really is sad though that the peak of success that a thrash band can reach these days is the level of Warbringer or Municipal Waste, and from what I know those guys barely pay their bills. Hopefully now that Orchid signed with Nuclear Blast more labels will be looking for Bay Area bands to sign. There are some amazingly talented acts here, but I feel like no label wants to even check them out.

I think the problem is that thrash just can't be as big as it used to be with death metal around. The people that love thrash really love it, but it seems like most metal fans only like some of the old stuff, and even then, most of them don't dig too deep in thrash. I guess it makes sense; there's more extreme stuff in death and black metal, and more melodic stuff in power metal. Personally though, I don't see any genre being more intense or better than thrash. It's just unfortunate that none of those bands can make any money at this point.

Onioner
08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Here's my interview with Fog of War. These guys are probably one of the most badass live thrash bands around, I was really happy to interview them after pretty much worshipping them in high school.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/08/29/in-depth-interview-with-fog-of-war/

In the next few days I should have my interview with Impaled uploaded. I had to do a lot of editing for clarity and all, so I'm just waiting on the okay from Ross Sewage before it goes up.

brutal_descent
08-30-2012, 06:15 AM
In the next few days I should have my interview with Impaled uploaded. I had to do a lot of editing for clarity and all, so I'm just waiting on the okay from Ross Sewage before it goes up.

:fist: Looking forward to it!

Onioner
09-06-2012, 02:53 AM
Alright, I know I said these were going to be up a while ago, but they're here now so deal with it!

Hopefully you guys will like this one- the Cormorant guys were a real joy to talk to. They're all very intelligent and nice guys who are really united in their vision and their goals for the band. There isn't a single member of the band who puts in a lesser amount of love and effort into the whole thing, and I think this interview really shows that.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/09/06/cormorant-talk-in-detail-about-dwellings-recording-process-artwork-future-plans/

This interview with Impaled was easily one of the funniest conversations I've ever had with anyone- Ross Sewage had a silly response prepared for literally any statement or question I could ask. Hopefully some lingering questions that a few of you guys have about the band have been answered by this interview, but more than that I hope that you all laugh a little when reading it- I was seriously fighting the urge to crack up so many times throughout the talk itself.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/09/06/a-light-hearted-conversation-with-impaled/

This band, Hemotoxin, are a really small death/thrash band out of the East Bay.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/09/06/hemotoxins-michael-chavez-discusses-beginnings-slaughter-by-the-water-future-goals/

Last up is one that I think you all will like at least a little bit, VEKTOR! This is an audio interview, so once again you all get to hear my glorious (by which I mean extremely awkward) voice. Some details about the next album are unveiled, and David talks a lot about where he gets inspiration for the sci-fi themes on the albums.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/09/06/vektor-frontman-discusses-current-tour-sci-fi-themes-next-album-audio/

I hope you all enjoy these, and feedback is more than welcome. I'm still super new to this, so any criticism you all have for me will help.

treghet
09-06-2012, 03:23 AM
I loved the Impaled interview! Very funny and you also asked every question I was wondering about. :cool:

Onioner
09-06-2012, 03:26 AM
I loved the Impaled interview! Very funny and you also asked every question I was wondering about. :cool:

But were those questions actually answered is the real question hahaha. I'm happy you liked them dude! :D

brutal_descent
09-06-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm going to read the Impaled, Vektor, and Cormorant interviews in the next hour.

treghet
09-06-2012, 05:46 AM
But were those questions actually answered is the real question hahaha. I'm happy you liked them dude! :D

For the most part, yes. They didn't give a definitive answer about playing Southern California, but the fact that they said they're thinking of doing shows outside the Bay Area gives me hope. Your questions also shed a lot of light on the status of the re-recording of The Dead Shall Dead Remain, which seemed to fall off the face of the planet after being announced.

Of course, the Vektor interview was great too. I didn't really have any burning questions about them, but David gives some really elaborate answers. And props to mentioning Release from Agony. It is my all-time favorite thrash album. :D

Onioner
09-06-2012, 06:06 AM
And props to mentioning Release from Agony. It is my all-time favorite thrash album. :D

Fuck yeah dude! That record is one the most dark and evil thrash albums ever released, I think it's insanely underrated. Sodom kinda had the the straightforward brutality, and Kreator were kinda giving up their German-ness for a more American sound but Destruction just had this really creepy yet progressive thing going that was just awesome. The dual solo in Release from Agony has to be one of the most creepy and unnerving guitar solos I've ever heard.

treghet
09-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Yesss, I love that solo! I wish they would play more songs from it live, but I'm happy I at least got to hear the title track.

Onioner
09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Yesss, I love that solo! I wish they would play more songs from it live, but I'm happy I at least got to hear the title track.

Ah, that was on the 2011 tour right? I fell really sick when they came around that time, and I got screwed by the Whisky and/or Destruction's management for the last tour. Considering how horribly this past tour went for the band, I don't think Destruction will be returning to the States any time soon, meaning I'm probably not going to see them for a long time. :(

treghet
09-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Ah, that sucks man. :( Yeah, I have a feeling they won't be back for a while. They said they're not coming back at all, but Schmier is probably just overreacting. I'd be pissed too after what happened though.

Also, check out this set (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/destruction/2007/galaxy-theatre-santa-ana-ca-33d63031.html) from their 2007 tour. :drool: I wish I was there, but at that time I hadn't even heard of them.

Onioner
09-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Alright, here's an interview I did with Hell Fire, a classic/traditional metal band from San Francisco. These guys are probably my favorite young group coming out of the bay right now, every member is just awesome at what they do and they're all the sweetest guys you could ever meet. Their bassist is also Cliff Burton's Mexican doppelganger haha. Gary Holt is almost always at their shows and is pretty close with Tony, Hell Fire's guitarist. Aesop Dekker also recently plugged the band in his blog, Mark Osegueda wore a Hell Fire shirt in Sacramento and is having the band open for Death Angel in Oakland next month. I really think these dudes are gonna be successful in the coming years. Check out some of their live videos on YouTube (like the one embedded in the interview), their EP on Facebook doesn't do them justice one bit. Even those videos aren't a perfect indicator of their awesomeness since they just had a ridiculous new guitarist join the band.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/09/17/hell-fire-discuss-debut-album-new-lineup-bay-area-audiences/

MPF
09-18-2012, 03:09 AM
I don't say it enough, awesome stuff man. i will definitely be checking this one out when I wake up later today.

Onioner
09-18-2012, 03:36 AM
I don't say it enough, awesome stuff man. i will definitely be checking this one out when I wake up later today.

Says the guy who's set to interview Lamb of God when they do their headlining tour! But seriously though, thanks so much dude. I can't wait to see the stuff you've got up your sleeve with all the fall tours coming up, I think we're both gonna be super busy in the next two months haha.

This is my last interview with a smaller band from the bay for a good while now that I'm returning to LA next week. We have so many good bands up here that I feel like not nearly enough people know about. There isn't really a national metal press outlet in the bay, so I'm happy I at least got to give these bands some notice on a larger scale though I'm sure a lot of people got sick of these interviews haha.

Onioner
09-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm on my phone so I can't make the usual full post, but if you go to Kreator's facebook page my interview with Sami should be at the top. I'll post a link and whatnot tomorrow, but in the mean time enjoy!

Edit: looks like it made blabbermouth. Neat! Again, I'll post the links n things tomorrow.

Onioner
09-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Okay, here's my interview with Sami from Kreator. Dude was so nice to me and my friend despite us both being so young, and had a really humble yet informative response for all of my questions. Mille Petrozza does literally every Kreator interview, so I prepared two pages of really good questions to ask him. We get to the tour bus and the tour manager tells me that I'm interviewing Sami. Kreator are my favorite thrash band ever (and Sami is my favorite thrash guitarist), so it was easy for me to come up with the questions (everything I said was completely improvised, not a word was prepared in advance), but I was still freaking out all the way up until the interview. Afterwards my friend couldn't open the door out of the bus, so Ventor helped us. I geeked out and introduced myself to him, said his drumming was awesome then scurried out. I don't normally get all fanboy-ish, but meeting a musician that's genuinely inspired me always makes me like that haha. Anyway, enjoy! It's a video interview so now you all get to see my ugly mug in addition to hearing my weird fucking voice. As always, criticism is welcome and appreciated.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/09/29/kreator-guitarist-discusses-making-of-new-album-fan-loyalty-lineup-video/

MPF
09-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Congrats man! You guys deserve the coverage on Blabbermouth (Despite the people who comment there). Its a great interview as well.

Onioner
09-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Congrats man! You guys deserve the coverage on Blabbermouth (Despite the people who comment there). Its a great interview as well.

Thank you dude! I was hoping to get some mean comments on blabbermouth, but I had no such luck haha.

MPF
09-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Thank you dude! I was hoping to get some mean comments on blabbermouth, but I had no such luck haha.

No problem man.

Every time I get one up on Blabbermouth (11 times now) I always secretly hope for that, saying something like I suck or something. The only bad ones I have gotten so far was the quality of the video in my Devin Townsend interview, from just a couple people. Other then that its usually people posting their opinions about the band and probably never even checking out the interviews. :lol:

Onioner
10-15-2012, 11:51 PM
And the whoring resumes! This is an interview with Henry Montoya from Witchaven. At the Ghoul show last Friday I got to chat with Henry for the first time in a while (him, me and Lerby had one of those extremely deep and thoughtful 4 AM conversations at a friend's place over the summer haha). I mentioned that it would be cool to do an interview sometime soon, and Henry said "fuck it, we can do it right now!" So we went to a backstage area and did the completely improvised interview. The audio is hilarious, my friend is laughing the entire time and Ross Sewage makes an appearance! It was a little too casual though, so a transcription with some edits was necessary. Henry was pretty drunk, but he was really well spoken and gave some really well thought out answers to my questions. I think Witchaven fans will have a lot to like with this one!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/10/16/in-depth-interview-with-witchaven-frontman-henry-montoya/

Next one up is Death Angel on Friday, I'm really excited for that one. It's always great to hang with bay area musicians for a little bit, after living there for a few years, hanging at shows and working at Trakworx Studio I've ended up with mutual friends and acquaintances with a lot of the old thrash dudes and the John Cobbett gang haha.

Onioner
10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I didn't realize how bored I would be during breaks between classes without this site, glad to see it back!

Here's my interview with Ted Aguilar from Death Angel. Ted was so amazingly nice and chill to me and my friend who filmed the interview. We also live relatively close to each other back home, so it was cool to talk about the bay for a little. I also told him about how I met Andrew Metalhead at a DA show in SF- Andrew's done three interviews with Ted and the two are buds. I kind of derped a couple of times during the interview, most noticeably in the very first question, but otherwise I think the interview turned out well! Mark Osegueda was also really happy to see my Hell Fire shirt, and I talked to Will Carroll for a bit about Hammers of Misfortune (dude's their new permanent drummer, Chewy Marzolo's out again). Anyway, enjoy and criticism is welcome as always.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/10/21/death-angel-guitarist-talks-about-the-ultra-violence-us-tour-video/

This ended up on blabbermouth as well, but it showed up at like 2 AM on a Sunday morning so I don't think a lot of people saw it haha.

Onioner
11-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Here's my interview with Marc "Mad Dog Duce" Deleon from the Mentors. This was probably the most over the top and ridiculous conversation I've ever had with a musician. Dude just kept going on, I wouldn't even have to ask a question- I could just say a short phrase and he would talk for minutes as a response! If you guys don't know the Mentors already, they're basically the most awesome band in the world. They wear black hoods onstage, their drummer sings and their songs are the most vulgar and offensive I have ever heard.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/11/06/in-depth-interview-with-the-mentors-drummervocalist-mad-dog-duce/

My next interview is with Craig Locicero from Forbidden. He's playing wih his side project SpiralArms, so it'll be an interesting chat to be sure.

Onioner
11-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Here's my interview with Craig Locicero from Forbidden. Craig was a very laidback and cool dude to talk to, and talking about home with him before and after the interview was really fun. He also made sure that my friend who filmed the interview had her ticket taken care of, which was super nice of him to do. The band he played with on this night, SpiralArms, is fricken awesome. They're heavy blues rock with B3 organ like Beale Street/Robot Hive-era Clutch, and they are just an incredible live band. Anyway, enjoy!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/11/10/craig-locicero-discusses-spiralarms-video/

Edit: Looks this one made blabbermouth too, sweet!

energymetal14
11-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Here's my interview with Marc "Mad Dog Duce" Deleon from the Mentors. This was probably the most over the top and ridiculous conversation I've ever had with a musician. Dude just kept going on, I wouldn't even have to ask a question- I could just say a short phrase and he would talk for minutes as a response! If you guys don't know the Mentors already, they're basically the most awesome band in the world. They wear black hoods onstage, their drummer sings and their songs are the most vulgar and offensive I have ever heard.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/11/06/in-depth-interview-with-the-mentors-drummervocalist-mad-dog-duce/

My next interview is with Craig Locicero from Forbidden. He's playing wih his side project SpiralArms, so it'll be an interesting chat to be sure.

This is insane! That part about the Browntooth Grin was so fucked up :lol:

Onioner
11-16-2012, 09:18 PM
So I got a couple more interviews for you all, here's my chat with Barney from Napalm Death. I had no idea dude was so soft-spoken and chill, especially since he is such a screwball onstage. He was also super polite to me and my friend, constantly thanking us for the interview before and after. I kinda derped a little when I needed to look at my questions, but other than that I think it was a good talk!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/11/17/napalm-deaths-mark-barney-greenway-talks-touring-utilitarian-more-video/

I should have my Exhumed interview up sometime later tonight.

Onioner
11-17-2012, 12:14 AM
And here is my talk with Matt Harvey from Exhumed. Matt actually grew up super close to where I went to high school around San Jose, so hearing him talk about how that area once had a little goregrind scene was super cool. It was a total mindfuck hearing how some of these quaint suburban towns with nothing but Asian Supermarkets and houses used to have tiny shows. He was also just a super laidback and chill guy, his burp in the middle of the video was epic as hell. People kept walking through the shot, including Chris Kontos from Attitude Adjustment who was at least fun about it by pretending to ninja his way through. Everyone else who walked through didn't even pretend to care or be sorry. Still a really fun interview though, and I'm beyond psyched for the next Exhumed record.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/11/17/in-depth-interview-with-exhumed-mainman-matt-harvey-video/

MPF
11-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Once again, great interviews. Both Barney and Matt Harvey were awesome to me during their interviews with them this year. I'm glad to see the same in yours!

Onioner
11-17-2012, 12:33 AM
Once again, great interviews. Both Barney and Matt Harvey were awesome to me during their interviews with them this year. I'm glad to see the same in yours!

Thank you dude! I actually used your Barney interview as a reference so he wouldn't have to answer the same questions again so thanks for the help haha.

MPF
11-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Thank you dude! I actually used your Barney interview as a reference so he wouldn't have to answer the same questions again so thanks for the help hana.

Glad I could be of service! :lol:

Onioner
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
This Queensryche interview already made the rounds on facebook and blabbermouth, but I guess I can post it here for posterity's sake. The guys were all really chill and funny, Scott, Parker and I all talked Call of Duty before the interview began haha. We only got like 10 minutes to talk when I thought we had 15, so that's why the interview ends so abruptly. I had a ton of questions prepared and I only got to ask about 5 or 6 of them. Our camera's memory card also totally died in the middle of the interview so we lost all the footage. Still a cool chat though, I'm so psyched for when I can do part 2 of this interview!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/11/26/in-depth-interview-with-queensryche/

Onioner
12-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Alright, here's my interview with Reed Mullin from Corrosion of Conformity. I was actually scheduled to talk to Mike Dean, but he was held up at the hotel when we were supposed to have our interview. Reed was very fun to talk to though, he was just really engaged and cheery throughout our chat. My voice probably sounds weird because I was freezing my ass off in the venue, Reed was fine because he had a big coat haha. Dunno if any new info came out of this interview, but I think it's a neat talk regardless. Anyway, enjoy! This is probably my last interview for a good while, but hopefully once the tail end of winter rolls around I'll have some cool stuff.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2012/12/20/corrosion-of-conformitys-reed-mullin-talks-about-new-releases/#more-1572

Onioner
01-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Okay guys, here's an interview I did with Away from Voivod. It was a phone interview- I accidentally knocked off my voice recorder from my desk when we started talking and I had to ask him to wait while I searched for the recorder. It was extremely embarrassing haha. Our talk was really fun though, for the first time in an interview I actually geeked out pretty hard. Normally I don't because a lot of musicians that I interview tend to be friends of friends and other folks I know, or I just happen to not be a hardcore superfan of the bigger bands I've interviewed like Queensryche and Napalm Death. Voivod are one of my favorite bands, so getting to talk with Away was just too cool. The evidence of my Voivod nerdiness can be seen in how a chunk of the interview is devoted to The Outer Limits, which I'm convinced is an insanely underrated classic haha. I think there's some new info in this talk, so at least I'm happy with that. Anyway, enjoy!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/01/25/voivod-drummer-talks-about-making-of-new-album-target-earth

Onioner
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
I guess this one's a little old now, but here's my interview with Joseph from Pallbearer. Apparently the dude from Profound Lore forgot to inform him of our interview, but Joseph was still cool about it and we wasted about 15 minutes just looking for a place to do the interview. Very nice guy overall. We only had until Royal Thunder went on before the venue became too loud to talk with each other, so that's why the interview is so short. Otherwise it was a fun chat.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/02/11/interview-with-pallbearer-bassist-jason-rowland/

That's it for interviews for a good while for me, school's really ramping up from here on out. I should have a couple really cool ones in late March though.

MPF
02-13-2013, 12:23 PM
As always, I'm really digging your interviews. i gotta catch up with a few of them, but i like them a lot.

Very understandable that school has gotta come first, but you've been kicking ass since you started, and you'll be back to kicking ass when you get back into it.

Onioner
02-13-2013, 07:55 PM
As always, I'm really digging your interviews. i gotta catch up with a few of them, but i like them a lot.

Very understandable that school has gotta come first, but you've been kicking ass since you started, and you'll be back to kicking ass when you get back into it.

Thanks so much dude! Yeah, school's kind of beating me to a pulp these days, but I basically dug my own grave by deciding to major in engineering at a public school in California. I'm hoping to do interviews with Clutch and the Metal Alliance bands, but we'll see how that all goes haha. Andrew Metalhead's coming back to LA pretty soon, so you should be seeing a lot more interviews from him in due time.

MPF
02-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks so much dude! Yeah, school's kind of beating me to a pulp these days, but I basically dug my own grave by deciding to major in engineering at a public school in California. I'm hoping to do interviews with Clutch and the Metal Alliance bands, but we'll see how that all goes haha. Andrew Metalhead's coming back to LA pretty soon, so you should be seeing a lot more interviews from him in due time.

He's moving back? That would be fantastic!

But I mean it man, I'm glad to see someone besides me post interviews here, and I'm glad that you do such a great job of it.

Onioner
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Well I didn't expect to be doing another interview so soon, but the timing was perfect and there was no way I could turn this one down. Yes friends, I got to interview the drummer for the greatest band in the world- Jean-Paul Gaster from Clutch. When I called and asked how long he could chat for and he said "You know I don't really have anything else going on, I can talk for a while!" I got so excited, you fools have no idea. Anyway, JP was a lot of fun to talk to, and I think I was able to reign in my fanboyness at least a little bit.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/03/07/interview-with-clutch-drummer-jean-paul-gaster/

Also when I received his phone number all I heard was:

I GOT YOUR NUMBER
I STEAL YOUR THUNDER
I GOT YOUR MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME TATTOOED ON MY ARM

300%_Density
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Well I didn't expect to be doing another interview so soon, but the timing was perfect and there was no way I could turn this one down. Yes friends, I got to interview the drummer for the greatest band in the world- Jean-Paul Gaster from Clutch. When I called and asked how long he could chat for and he said "You know I don't really have anything else going on, I can talk for a while!" I got so excited, you fools have no idea. Anyway, JP was a lot of fun to talk to, and I think I was able to reign in my fanboyness at least a little bit.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/03/07/interview-with-clutch-drummer-jean-paul-gaster/

Also when I received his phone number all I heard was:

I GOT YOUR NUMBER
I STEAL YOUR THUNDER
I GOT YOUR MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME TATTOOED ON MY ARM

I loved this interview. Great great information on there. I was quite excited when JP was talking about "maybe" doing that Evening With Clutch shows again. I kick my own ass for not knowing Clutch back in '04 when they did a show an hour away from me. Still got the bootleg but just not the same. :bouville:

Onioner
03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I loved this interview. Great great information on there. I was quite excited when JP was talking about "maybe" doing that Evening With Clutch shows again. I kick my own ass for not knowing Clutch back in '04 when they did a show an hour away from me. Still got the bootleg but just not the same. :bouville:

Thanks so much! That interview is what happens when you give a rabid Clutch fan basically unlimited access to pick JP's brain haha. I was probably 11 or 12 when they did the Evening With shows. Those were back in my Jpop days... :eyes:

And I dunno who stickied this, but thanks for the love guys! I honestly don't know how often I'll be doing more interviews, but I'll do my best for the coming months.

300%_Density
03-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks so much! That interview is what happens when you give a rabid Clutch fan basically unlimited access to pick JP's brain haha. I was probably 11 or 12 when they did the Evening With shows. Those were back in my Jpop days... :eyes:

And I dunno who stickied this, but thanks for the love guys! I honestly don't know how often I'll be doing more interviews, but I'll do my best for the coming months.

JP always struck me as the most personable out of everybody based on seeing the Live At the 9:30 Club where he went on some 15 minute diatribe talking about drums (pretty sure I got a contact high just listening to him). If it weren't for YouTube I don't think I'd believe Tim or Dan have ever actually spoken any words. I was like 20 or 21 for those shows. I just have no excuse. Other than I suck.

Onioner
03-08-2013, 11:13 AM
JP always struck me as the most personable out of everybody based on seeing the Live At the 9:30 Club where he went on some 15 minute diatribe talking about drums (pretty sure I got a contact high just listening to him). If it weren't for YouTube I don't think I'd believe Tim or Dan have ever actually spoken any words. I was like 20 or 21 for those shows. I just have no excuse. Other than I suck.

Andrew Metalhead did an interview with Tim at the same time as my JP interview actually. Tim was apparently very quiet and didn't have a whole lot to say, which made it pretty tough on Andrew's end. I don't think I've ever seen a word spoken from Dan, and I would imagine Neil would lay off interviews to save his voice. Andrew did get to interview him a few years back though, so you never know. I would probably derp so hard if I got to talk to Neil. I mean, the guy is basically God.

300%_Density
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Andrew Metalhead did an interview with Tim at the same time as my JP interview actually. Tim was apparently very quiet and didn't have a whole lot to say, which made it pretty tough on Andrew's end. I don't think I've ever seen a word spoken from Dan, and I would imagine Neil would lay off interviews to save his voice. Andrew did get to interview him a few years back though, so you never know. I would probably derp so hard if I got to talk to Neil. I mean, the guy is basically God.

I'm going strictly off perception, but Neil strikes me as not talking a whole lot. If you lined up guys in bands usually its easy to figure out who the lead singer is, but to me Neil doesn't strike me as a "typical" lead man. Obviously on stage he is one of the best, but off he's not as most frontmen usually are. Of course I could just be totally off as well. Just the impression that I get.

Onioner
03-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Alrighty, this is a little late, but here's my interview with Joe and Martyn from Orange Goblin. Both of them were very fun and jolly, and just a delight to chat with. They also kept offering me beer haha. Definitely a super fun talk!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/03/28/orange-goblin-bassist-guitarist-talk-north-american-tour-new-live-album/

Next up is my interview with Holy Grail that I did earlier tonight.

Onioner
04-03-2013, 03:23 AM
And as promised, here is my interview with Eli and Alex from Holy Grail. Both guys were really humble and nice, the total opposite of "rock stars" or whatever. They asked if I could wait a minute so that everyone who wanted photos and stuff signed would be taken care of, so of course I had to oblige them. We then went to a Starbucks across the street and for once I got to have a very calm and laidback in-person interview, definitely a really nice change of pace instead of being rushed in a loud or crowded environment. This was also a really fun interview for me after having followed them since their EP came out in like 09 or whatever.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/04/02/in-depth-interview-with-holy-grail-guitarists-eli-santana-alex-lee/

Next up is Sami from Ensiferum who I chatted with earlier tonight.

Onioner
04-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Alright, here's my interview with Sami from Ensiferum. So I haven't filmed an interview in a long time, so I forgot that I was supposed to record audio along with video (I did however remember to bring my audio recorder). This isn't in this written transcript, but right after the first question I realized I fucked up, brought out the recorder and asked the rest of the questions after apologizing for making such a stupid mistake. Sami then told a small anecdote about how he did a three hour long video interview for a documentary piece and the guy didn't have tape in his camera! He was super nice to me and my friend despite my colossal fuck up, and I think I got an enjoyable interview anyway. The audio turned out awful because of music blasting over our heads and the footage was dark, hence the transcript. It was a pain in the ass to type this one out haha. Well anyway, enjoy!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/04/06/ensiferum-bassist-sami-hinkka-discusses-paganfest-new-album-more/

kalfitegrdan
04-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Great interview as always, man. :fist: Congrats on the sticky too.

Onioner
04-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Great interview as always, man. :fist: Congrats on the sticky too.

Thanks dude! I got a real fun one in the morning, Ronny Munroe from Metal Church! I'm pretty stoked, Metal Church are one of my all time favorite bands, and I actually enjoy the new stuff with Ronny a good deal.

Onioner
04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
And here is my monstrosity of an interview with Ronny Munroe from Metal Church. They're one of my favorite bands ever, so there was no way I wasn't going to royally grill Ronny with this interview haha. If it had been with Kurdt Vanderhoof the interview would have never ended! Anyway, I think there's some cool info in here for Metal Church fans. Enjoy!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/04/09/in-depth-interview-with-metal-church-frontman-ronny-munroe/

Well, looks like this one made blabbermouth too. Cool! Not digging all the 'we want Mike Howe' comments though. Dude may have been the best Metal Church singer (and one of the best American metal vocalists ever IMO) but he has no interest in coming back, and Ronny is doing such a good job. Ronny can sing the David Wayne songs way better than Mike Howe ever did as well.

And I got my first mean comment! I made it guys, I finally made it! :lol:

Onioner
04-17-2013, 03:51 AM
This is my chat with Jon Leon, Jake Dreyer, Joseph Michael and Will Wallner from White Wizzard. I said this in another thread already but it deserves to be said again- these are some of the all around coolest and most friendly guys I have ever met. I haven't had the misfortune of interviewing a jerk yet, but most of the time my interaction with the artist effectively ends after the interview. Not these guys. After getting to know them and seeing how nice they treated me as not only a fan and a member of the press, but just as a person in general, I know that I really made a few friends after this show. Anyway, I think there's a bit of detailed insight into the lineup changes in this interview, and lots of cool info about the upcoming record. It'll kick your butts guys, I can damn near guarantee it after having been utterly floored by three out of its nine tracks.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/04/17/in-depth-interview-with-white-wizzard/

Onioner
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Alright guys, this is might be my last interview for the forseeable future. This was with Eric Dow, the lead singer of an LA pagan metal band, Helsott. They opened up the Paganfest tour this year. The interview was delayed many times over the last month due to his sicknesses, but when we finally got to talk he was in good spirits. Anyway, Helsott was a cool band to see, and Eric seems to really know what he's doing, so I can imagine these guys becoming a regular touring act in no time.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/05/11/in-depth-interview-with-helsott-frontman-eric-dow/

Anyway, so Andrew Metalhead has returned and is wasting no time in tearing shit up around these parts, so my services aren't too necessary anymore. We both agreed that he deserves to take the vast majority of the interviews and gig writeups for a solid while, so my stuff for Metal Assault will probably be limited to album reviews, a phone interview here and there and providing coverage for the Bay Area metal scenes when I can. Not to mention, school is ramping up to new levels of insanity, and my career as an engineer is slowly beginning, so I'm getting less and less time to do this stuff. I hope you all enjoyed the content, and hopefully I'll be able to do something cool sooner rather than later.

Onioner
07-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Hey everyone, I've got a couple cool interviews for you guys this weekend! First up is my chat with Rick Wartell from Trouble. So originally we were scheduled to talk on Tuesday morning. I called him and said "Hi Rick, we have an interview scheduled, are you ready to go?" He says "Um, I was not informed of this. I have literally left my house." Needless to say, what followed was me apologizing like a fool and we agreed to reschedule. Apparently Trouble's PR lady just totally spaced on letting him know we had an interview scheduled. We then talked the next day and I think we had a really fun conversation! This wasn't in the transcription since it's kind of tough to make readable, but when I mentioned that "The Last Judgement" was thirty years old, I heard a loud smacking sound come from his end of the line and he said "I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!" I think I accidentally made him feel old haha.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/07/19/in-depth-interview-with-trouble-guitarist-rick-wartell/

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the chat, I have an interview with Eric Wagner from The Skull scheduled for tomorrow morning and maybe an interview with one of the Orchid dudes tomorrow night, so those should be fun!

Onioner
07-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Alright, here's one doozy of a chat. This is with Eric Wagner, the original singer for Trouble and now he's in The Skull, a band that plays nothing but old and obscure Trouble songs. Eric's voice was absolutely nothing like I expected, it honestly might have been one of the lowest I've ever heard. And if you've listened to Trouble, you know that most of the time Eric does this high pitch screech thing. Personality-wise, Eric was everything I was expecting, saying dude and man all the time haha. Just a fun conversation overall, although I was afraid I might have bummed him out when I mentioned that The Skull-era of Trouble was a dark time in his life. Anyway, there's lots of random trivia and whatnot from all the eras of Trouble in here, so I think it'll be a fun read!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/07/22/in-depth-interview-with-the-skullformer-trouble-vocalist-eric-wagner/

Now here's my interview with Orchid. Now these guys are all friends of friends to me, so I didn't want to come off as some forgettable douchebag journalist guy, especially since I'll more than likely see them pretty often in the future. I straight up derped on a question or two, but otherwise I think this one is an enjoyable read. If you think I put in "laughs" a lot, that doesn't even describe half of the funniness that happened, I actually cut out a bunch of random quips and whatnot that resulted in even more laughter. Stuff like when guitarist Mark mentioned that the Moog was the only instrument he could play with his feet, I replied "Oh, well tell that to Geddy Lee!" Drummer Carter walked in during the interview, so Theo gave him the "shush" finger. In response I said "Well cool, we have Carter joining us!" and he threw in a few random jabs for the rest of the time he was there. There's nothing really revelatory, but I think it's a cool look into what fun and jolly guys the Orchid guys are.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/07/23/in-conversation-with-orchid/

Onioner
09-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Alright friends, here's another couple of chats for you all, Crag Dweller and Ovvl. I saw them both at a house show in Concord, was mighty impressed and offered on the spot interviews. Both bands ended up crashing at my apartment in LA when they dropped by on tour haha.

This one is Crag Dweller, a seriously sick stoner rock trio from Portland. They're all really cool dudes, their bassist Cliff is especially super nice. I think they'll really be a band to watch out for in the next couple of years. Apparently this was their first interview ever, so that's pretty cool haha.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/08/30/crag-dweller-talk-debut-album-touring-more/

Next up is Ovvl, an old school hard rock/classic metal band from the bay. I met their drummer Clint when I helped track some songs for his other (fucking awesome) band, Hazzard's Cure. Clint's always a really cool and cheery guy to talk to, and he's basically King of the Road. Dude's toured all over the country with a bajillion bands, despite only being like 30ish. Anyway, the chat was a little odd since those guys were a bit inexperienced with interviews, the long pauses of them thinking of answers to the questions obviously didn't make it into the transcript.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2013/09/02/ovvl-talk-family-upcoming-record-more/

My next project is something beyond awesome, a huge in-depth article on Impaled. The scope of it just keeps getting bigger and bigger the farther into it I get, so I really can't wait to share more with you all on that.

Onioner
10-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Hey all, so I've occasionally posted about an article I've been working on about Impaled and their re-recording of their first album, The Dead Still Dead Remain. Well, here it is!

http://metalassault.com/articles/2013/10/18/the-dead-remain-dead-an-impaled-retrospective/

The whole reason this article came to be was because I saw the band make a post about the album actually coming out on 10/29 over the summer and I was bored, so I sent an email to drummer Raul Varela about possibly doing the article. He said that everyone would be down to talk, and gave me info for contacting Leon del Muerte, who played guitar and sang on the first album, and sang on the re-recording.

I met with Leon first over in Echo Park. He basically went through his entire recorded career in our chat and gave me the bulk of the info for the article. He was just a total pleasure to chat with for an hour or so. Really nice guy, and super candid about his life experiences. I can't wait to run into him at shows here in LA.

Next was bassist Ross Sewage and guitarist Sean McGrath. I first met up with them over at Eli's Mile High Club in Oakland for a Ghoul show- there was this dumb mariachi band playing without any care, and they were even putting their food and beers on Ross' amp head. Fucking idiots. Poor Ross had to drag his cab out of the way and plant a backpack on top of the head so no one would think to put fricken food on it. Anyway, they realized that they needed a WWII helmet to play Ghoul Hunter off of Maniaxe, but Ross was too drunk to drive so I gave him a lift to their rehearsal studio. It was an interesting experience to say the least haha. When we got back, we basically got locked out of the back entrance to Eli's, so my way into the show was screwed. I went home, and from what I heard the show was insane.

I then met with Ross and Sean again at their rehearsal space after a Ghoul rehearsal- that's where the bulk of the material for the article came from. My recorder decided to be stupid and stop recording about halfway through the chat, so I lost about 20-30 minutes of material. It was probably the most embarrassing moment of my entire time doing interviews. Ross stayed for nearly an hour afterward basically saying the same stuff over again for me so I'd have it recorded, and Sean let me call him the next day and do the same thing. Nicest guys in the world, right?

Next was Raul. I had to talk with him on the phone since he was out of town all of the weekends that I was in the bay, but he talked to me for like 45 minutes just recounting all of Impaled's experiences in detail.

Last was guitarist Jason Kocol. He was really tough to get ahold of since he's been working like a dog on the new Rocksmith game, but I finally was able to talk to him for 15 minutes where we just tore through his time with Impaled and his videogame projects. We also talked studio shop a bit- I always love chatting about engineering with people in vastly different recording/mixing situations.

Throughout all this time I was trying really hard to get an interview with Paul Thind from Necropolis Records, Impaled's old label. I emailed him and he said he was down. I replied, "Great, when are you free?" Never got back to me. I called and left a voicemail, never got back to me. Emailed again, dude said "Sorry, been busy, I'll call you later." Never called. I called him again, Paul picks up, says he's busy and asks for me to email the questions, saying that he'd be able to get to them much quicker via email. I email him questions, and he never replies. That was basically it. I know that the article doesn't paint him or Necropolis in the most flattering light (there wasn't really any way to write it differently), but I gave the guy a ton of chances to offer his perspective and he just didn't take the opportunity.

So I spent about two months actually writing the article and hunting for neat photos. Impaled's website had quite a few, as did their facebook page. Leon ultimately sent me about a dozen really great photos of their tour with Nile and Incantation in 2000. I used a couple of them for the article, and I'm hoping to use more when and if I post the full unedited Q&As of my chats with the guys. I would also bother all of the guys again and again on facebook for clarification on stuff they said and all. They were all amazingly gracious and patient to a dumb 20 year old wannabe journalist, which still blows my mind.

Anyway, I hope you guys like the article. I've never put more time or effort into any other piece of writing I've done, so I'm really proud of this thing. I'm pretty sick of standard Q&As, and I had way more fun doing this article than anything else I've written. I have an idea or two for more articles in this style, but I have no clue when or if I'll do them.

Onioner
12-09-2013, 04:20 AM
What up people! I got another really fucking long article for y'all. This is kind of a history on Brocas Helm, a band that I consider to be among the greatest ever. After the Impaled article, I had no idea what I wanted to write about next. Then the Brocas Helm show got announced and I realized that the band is like a total fricken mystery, and that it could be fun to hunt these dudes down.

I first hit up Justin Weis, the mastering engineer for Black Death and Defender of the Crown, for the band's contact info. He directed me to our pal Mike Scalzi from Slough Feg. Unfortunately, Mike couldn't find a number for his friend in the band, guitarist/vocalist Bob Wright. So I remembered this article that Mike wrote for Invisible Oranges that said that Bob is an electrician, so I did some googling and found a random number online. I call it on a Saturday morning, and within one ring I hear on the other line this monolithic and commanding voice- "This is Bob Wright." I'm basically freaking the fuck out, and I introduce myself/explain the article/babble incessantly and somehow we schedule an interview and I get his email address. We eventually do chat on the phone and what follows is the most amazing interview I've ever done. Bob tells me so many cool Brocas Helm facts, stories and details that I just totally nerd out. He also starts grilling me, asking me what I want do with my life- best part of the interview:

Bob: So what do you want to be, a writer or an engineer?
Me: An engineer, but I like writing for fun.
Bob: Well, why didn't you go to college?
Me: I do go to college, I go to UCLA.
Bob: UCLA huh...? (Long pause) I bet the girls there are really hot, eh?!

I totally lose it and crack up like no tomorrow- that's something that happened so many times throughout the 70 minute long interview. Next was the rest of the guys. A few days later I found former guitarist John Grey on Facebook, added him and sent a message explaining myself and the article, and we did a phone interview right on the spot. John turned out to be a massive help for the article, he gave me lots of really cool info, access to old photos, and even got me in touch with the other former guitarist, Tom "T-Bone" Behney. John got really into the article, and was the only one to look over his transcript when I sent it and offer corrections. Super nice guy, and just a really cool dude in general.

Next was former guitarist T-Bone. I called him and left a voicemail on a random weeknight one day. Dude calls me on a Saturday morning while I'm asleep, I wake up, find my entire right arm asleep and I flop around like a beached whale to my phone to talk to him. My roommate got a kick out of watching me derp around haha. T-Bone was another source of good info, and turns out he really went out of his way to encourage his kids to get into music when he settled down. He even told me a really sweet story of how he played Limelight by Rush with his son on drums for a middle school talent show. Really pleasant guy to talk to.

Next was the show itself. The universe decided to say "FUCK YOU ONIONER" and gave me the shittiest possible week of school leading up the night I flew home for the show. Ended up pulling two all nighters in like 4 days or something like that, just because of homework overload. It was all worth it though, just so I could attend the show. I already recounted how that day ended up being one of the best and most awesome days in my entire life in my gig report, so you can read it there. In short though, Brocas Helm gave an unforgettable live show, and meeting Bob Wright was an experience I will always cherish. I have never met a man that loves life, the people who are good to him and the good things that come with it all more than Bob Wright- an amazing human being by any standard.

I interviewed drummer Jack and bassist Jim at the show, both were really chill and laidback to talk to. At the show, Jim gave me a CD with dozens of really cool photos of the band, some of which were over thirty years old. Most of the photos used in the article were Jim's. I did manage to hit up Brian Lew, the original Bay Area thrash historian and he found one old photo that I could use. My friend, ace photographer Ray Ahner, also took some choice shots at the show itself that I ended up using.

Once I transcribed all the interviews, I got cracking on the article itself. It ended up being less "journalistic" and more casual, just because there was less investigation to be done so to speak. These guys generally haven't had as much drama as Impaled had, so I injected more of my own opinions and such to make the article more interesting. After writing it was editing and re-writing like mad, then doing the layout. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy it! I have no clue what I'll write next, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

http://metalassault.com/articles/2013/12/09/defenders-of-the-crown-the-mighty-brocas-helm/

Onioner
01-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Hey dudes, got another article fer ya! This one's actually a reasonable length haha. It's on a hardcore punk band from Santa Cruz called Bl'ast! No real cool story here, this was just a standard press request for an interview and meeting the dudes at the show. Cliff and Mike were both real cool and down to Earth, and Bl'ast! killed later that night. Anyway, enjoy!

http://metalassault.com/articles/2014/01/10/a-blast-from-the-past/

I've got what I think will be a pretty cool article coming up, and it'll be really engineering-focused. Can't wait to get the ball rolling on that.

Onioner
02-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Moar article! This is a piece on Slough Feg and their new album Digitial Resistance. It's also heavily on Slough Feg's engineer, Justin Weis. As some of you may or may not know, I was lucky enough to assist with some of the sessions for the album. Well, I found out that my name won't be on the record (deservedly so, Justin did 99.9% of the hard work and this is one his best recordings and mixes ever) but I figured on the plus side that it would mean I could at least write an article without too much fuss or whatever. So I did.

I proposed the idea to Mike Scalzi months ago and he was stoked, so I reminded him and we got it rolling right away. I spent two hours on the phone with Scalzi just info gathering and shooting the shit. Scalzi is probably one of the most intelligent and genuinely cool people I know. He's the kind of guy that will take time out of his day to do something mentally stimulating like spend time with a friend even if it may inconvenience him. I really really wish more people my age or hell, more people in general were like Mike Scalzi.

I interviewed drummer Harry Cantwell next. He's just an incredibly cool and humble dude and a constant inspiration as a drummer to me, so calling him a friend is something I'm continually mindblown by. Our interview was via email, but it still worked super well.

Last was Justin Weis. He's a busy guy so it took a while to find a time to talk, but we eventually did and it was killer. He's been like a mentor to me in so many ways, which is again kind of a mindfuck since I worshipped the guy's work just two years back before I even met him. Hell, I still kinda do. Life's weirdly awesome like that right now. Anyway, here it is. I also threw in a fuckton of electrical engineering analogies and jokes and crap, I hope it ain't too enginerdy.

http://metalassault.com/articles/2014/02/10/slough-feg-and-the-digital-resistor/

Onioner
03-24-2014, 02:56 PM
This is a little old, but here's a short piece on Hazzard's Cure, a band I helped record last summer. To me, they're kind of like what the ideal bay area metal band would be like: unique, rocking and kind of weird. They're the nicest guys in the world, and true underground heroes. The EP they did also has Laurie Shanaman from Ludicra doing vocals on a song. Her performance in the studio was one of the most jaw-dropping and awe-inspiring musical performances I have ever witnessed. I remember she basically nailed the entire song in one take, and we were all just like, "Well shit, I think we're good." I think we got another take from her just for the hell of it. She is also a total sweetheart, which made her performance all the more striking haha. I did the interview via email, so I don't have any fun details to offer there unfortunately.

http://metalassault.com/articles/2014/03/17/hazzards-cure-heavy-metal-amorphous/

Next up is something that has the potential to be my masterwork when it comes to heavy metal journalism. It's a story that I can't wait to share when it's ready.

Onioner
06-03-2014, 11:25 AM
So I realized that I didn't update this thread with the last interview I did. This is with Scotty Heath from Tankcrimes Records, a punk/death/thrash label based out of Oakland, CA. This was conducted back near when the Brainsqueeze festival happened, and I thought I'd try and help out a cool fest/label/dude with an interview, so we did this over email.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2014/04/11/interview-with-tankcrimes-records-owner-scotty-heath/

I later met Scotty at the fest, very cool dude and an incredibly hardworking guy.

Onioner
06-03-2014, 11:28 AM
And here is Part 1 of what will probably be the best thing I ever write. This is basically how the the rad Bay Area metal scene that's been around for the past 17 years came to be.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/06/the-story-of-lucifers-hammer-part-1/

When the series is done next week, I'll do a post about how this thing came to be and the adventures that came with it. Needless to say, working on this article had a pretty big impact on my life the last few months.

Onioner
06-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Round two of this thing.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/06/the-story-of-lucifers-hammer-part-2/

Onioner
06-10-2014, 01:47 PM
And it's over.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/06/the-story-of-lucifers-hammer-part-3/

So this thing began months and months ago when I was interviewing Mike Scalzi for my Slough Feg article. I brought up social media as a possible means for Slough Feg becoming more popular these days, and he countered by telling me about the tape and flyer trading system back in the mid-90s. I asked if that system was what promoted Lucifer's Hammer. For those who don't know by now, Lucifer's Hammer was a metal night on Tuesdays at an SF bar called the Covered Wagon that featured metal shows, or even just metal playing on the PA. Scalzi then spent 45 minutes telling me about how John Cobbett used the Mission punk scene to start Lucifer's Hammer, and how John would intentionally throw together weird bills to kind of wean the punks into becoming metalheads. I thought that was the coolest story that no one had ever heard, so I decided to give a shot at documenting it upon Scalzi's encouragement. He suggested that I hit up Aesop Dekker and John Cobbett. We also nerded out over Raven super hard, I knew that they're one of the best bands ever and Scalzi reaffirmed that, so HA!

I then spent some time doing some small research online and talking to a few people I knew in LA and up north about Lucifer's Hammer, and asking what it was like. I then scheduled interviews with Aesop and Cobbett, and the latter pointed me towards Matt Shapiro as well. During this time, I also emailed the folks at Invisible Oranges and we got the ball rolling for hosting the article on there.

During my spring break, I went home and met up with the three of them at a coffeehouse in the Lower Haight, and we just talked about the history of Lucifer's Hammer and metal in the '90s for two hours. I barely had to say any words, the three would just talk and talk. Easiest interview ever haha. Cobbett went home, but Shapiro and Aesop and I went to a local punk bar after. Shapiro eventually went home, but I had the pleasure of hanging out with Aesop until something like 1AM, just talking about heavy stuff. Hearing about Aesop's life experiences really opened my eyes to how good I have it, and it ended up curing me of the burnout and got me over what I thought were kind of shitty times I had recently experienced at school. I've been totally stoked and excited for the future ever since. That same week I ended up getting lunch with Scalzi and I told him about all the progress on the article and seemed genuinely excited to see it. Then some kid recognized him in the taqueria we were eating at. Fan-"Hey man, I saw you guys at the Eagle a few weeks ago, you were awesome!" Scalzi-"Oh hey, thanks." Fan-"Sure! It's Alex, right?" Scalzi-"Uh no, I'm Mike..." cue awkward apology from kid and me and Scalzi cracking the fuck up when he walked away.

A few weeks after that, I found myself with the Ghoul dudes at a radio station in downtown LA (that's another story in and of itself). Basically, Leon del Muerte and I were hanging out in the lobby waiting for those guys to finish up and I mentioned that I was working on a Lucifer's Hammer article and he gave me a "Dude, what the hell?! I want in!" face/body movement. So we agreed to get him in there as well. I also realized that del Muerte was a cool choice to interview because he was actually underage during the formative years of the club and had to sneak in, and he also arguably ended up having one of the bigger impacts on metal out of all the Lucifer's Hammer alumni (original member of Intronaut, played in Exhumed, Impaled, Phobia, Murder Construct etc).

The week after that when I went home for the Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze festival, I told Ross Sewage and Sean McGrath about the article and they offered to send me photos. Cobbett had sent me some photos earlier, but they were very low-resolution, like only a little bigger than a thumbnail. So I met up with Cobbett that weekend, and picked up a handful of physical photos that he had from Lucifer's Hammer. I tried really hard to scan them and return them that same night (these are actual original photos from 15 years ago, it's precious stuff!), so I found myself literally running all over San Francisco on Easter Sunday looking for a copy center. I had no luck, so I offered to take the photos back with me to LA, scan them and mail them back. Cobbett was gracious enough to allow me to do that, and the scans came out great. Later that night, I ended up actually going to a Lucifer's Hammer show, Godflesh at the DNA Lounge where I got to say hi to Aesop, Shapiro and Laurie Shanaman from Ludicra among many other very friendly faces.

After that, I interviewed del Muerte at a bar across the street from the Echo in LA right before he played a show with Nausea and Nails. At one point, I once again found myself in the Bay Area for work for a few days and I went to another Lucifer's Hammer show, this time it was Floor at Elbo Room. Shapiro stealthed it up as the bartender, not revealing that he had put the show on (or owned Elbo Room entirely) and Cobbett was keeping the sound guy's seat warm. I then had the odd pleasure of nerding out with Cobbett over all things metal. Like, air-guitaring/singing the bridge to High Passage/Low Passage by Slough Feg nerdery here. It ended up being one of the most fun conversations I've had with one of the guys from the scene up north. During those few days, I went to like three shows in just a couple days, and there were shows that I could have caught but I ended up missing. That kind of affirmed for me how rad the bay really is for metal right now.

I then spent my spare time writing, editing and doing final photo gathering. Ian at Invisible Oranges got super into the article, and edited the fuck out of it and took it to a whole new level of rad. A big reason why it turned out so great is because of his efforts.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the article. It was definitely a labor of love on my end. Onioner out.

Spiner202
06-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Awesome man! I really enjoyed the article and your writeup here. I shared the article on my 'zine's page. It is wicked that you were able to just hang out with all of these guys and get to know them, even beyond the interviews!

slapguitarer
06-10-2014, 02:37 PM
This is all awesome stuff man! :rocker:

Onioner
06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Awesome man! I really enjoyed the article and your writeup here. I shared the article on my 'zine's page. It is wicked that you were able to just hang out with all of these guys and get to know them, even beyond the interviews!

This is all awesome stuff man! :rocker:

Thanks guys, and I appreciate the share Spiner! I'm definitely a lucky guy in that everyone up there has always been so nice and cool to me. That's one of the most awesome parts about the scene in the bay, it's like everyone's just a total nerd at heart. No one's too cool to take public transit to go to a show and hang out with their friends, no matter if their album's sold 80,000 copies or 80.

MPF
06-10-2014, 03:45 PM
As always, killer, KILLER stuff man! Congrats on everything!

Onioner
06-10-2014, 06:51 PM
As always, killer, KILLER stuff man! Congrats on everything!

Thanks so much! Ironically after writing so much about the bay, I probably will be stuck in LA this summer unless I can make trips home for work or studio stuff. Summer should be pretty awesome though, if I'm allowed to tell you guys about the stuff I worked on, I'll definitely share it.

hb420
06-11-2014, 11:59 PM
This was such a fun read, love everything about this scene. It spawned such a shit ton of great bands too. Glad you had a fun writing this man, amazing piece of work. :party:

Onioner
06-12-2014, 03:06 AM
This was such a fun read, love everything about this scene. It spawned such a shit ton of great bands too. Glad you had a fun writing this man, amazing piece of work. :party:

Thanks so much man! Right now I think the scene going through a minor renaissance. It seemed like it kind of died down a tiny bit when Ludicra broke up, but now there are such an insane number of awesome bands and shows. Next week when I make a trip north I'm probably going to hit up 4 shows made up nothing but awesome locals in something like 6 days. I can't think of anywhere else where you can do that and have the bands be so good.

slapguitarer
06-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks so much man! Right now I think the scene going through a minor renaissance. It seemed like it kind of died down a tiny bit when Ludicra broke up, but now there are such an insane number of awesome bands and shows. Next week when I make a trip north I'm probably going to hit up 4 shows made up nothing but awesome locals in something like 6 days. I can't think of anywhere else where you can do that and have the bands be so good.

Which shows?

Onioner
06-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Which shows?

Sutekh Hexen at Lobot Gallery, Oakland on June 15th, Wild Eyes and Buffalo Tooth at the Knockout, SF on June 17th, Lecherous Gaze and Necrot at the Eagle Tavern, SF on June 19 and Midnight Chaser at Winter's, SF on June 21st. My folks axed the Sutekh Hexen show for me, but I'm definitely gonna make the others.

slapguitarer
06-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Sutekh Hexen at Lobot Gallery, Oakland on June 15th, Wild Eyes and Buffalo Tooth at the Knockout, SF on June 17th, Lecherous Gaze and Necrot at the Eagle Tavern, SF on June 19 and Midnight Chaser at Winter's, SF on June 21st. My folks axed the Sutekh Hexen show for me, but I'm definitely gonna make the others.

Guess I'll have to catch you some other time since I can't get into any of those show :lol:

:bouville:

Onioner
06-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Guess I'll have to catch you some other time since I can't get into any of those show :lol:

:bouville:

:( I know the feeling man, that was me until only three months ago. We'll hang again soon, I've learned that predicting my adventures too far in advance is an exercise in futility.

Onioner
06-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Well, apparently I'm already at work on another article. This might be the quickest turnaround I have ever experienced. I don't want to give away too many details just because what I think I will write may turn out to be completely different, but the comments in the last part of the Lucifer's Hammer article are a big clue as to what I'll be working on.

Onioner
08-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Got an interview for y'allz. This is with Midnight Chaser, a kickass NWOBHM-style traditional metal band from Oakland. Well, not Oakland anymore because two of the guys are moving to Pittsburgh. They've all been friends of mine for a little over a year, and they're collectively some of the nicest and coolest dudes you could ever meet. They just did a little West Coast tour before the move, and I ended up catching the Ventura and Pasadena dates. Giant pizza was eaten, beer was consumed, some backwater hick threatened to kill guitarist Steve (who may be one of the warmest, nicest and most fun guys I have ever met), and great times were had. I miss the guys so much already.

Anyway, this interview was actually conducted in two parts. The first chunk was in November 2013 at a Brocas Helm show in SF, and the second half was in Pasadena. I had to do a little bit of surgery to make the two halves fit together, especially since the album was released a couple months ago (and it fucking rules and every fool on here should listen to it). Enjoy!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2014/08/04/in-depth-interview-with-midnight-chaser/

I've got an article that will get published on Invisible Oranges on Thursday that I'm pretty stoked about, and then I've got a more grander scale project that is still in the works. Stay tuned dudes.

Onioner
08-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Got another article for these here interspaces. It's on Behold! The Monolith, an awesome stoner/NWOBHM/thrash band. Their singer died in a car accident about a year back, which I remember being a huge blow to the underground scene here in LA, and I ended up seeing their first show back with their retooled lineup. I talked with guitarist Matt, who I had met an earlier show, and offered to do an interview and the ideas for the article started flowing. A few days after, we met for the interview at a Coffee Bean like 10 minutes away from where I work and we knocked it out, then it was transcribing and writing. It's probably one of the most rapidly done projects I've taken on. Enjoy!

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/08/behold-the-monolith-reborn/

And as of this article, I guess I am now an official contributor to Invisible Oranges! :party:

Onioner
10-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Two more interviews, both done at Thee Parkside a month and some change back. Saviours, Pins of Light and Hazzard's Cure were on the bill and all three shredded faces.

First interview is Saviours. If you don't like them, you're probably just a really awful person. I basically found Sonny, asked if he wanted to do an interview and we knocked it out nice and easy. Nothing fancy.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/10/interview-saviours/

Next is Hazzard's Cure. I did already do a piece on them some time back, but IO's editor found out I was going to be at the show and asked for the interview. No complaints from anybody! These guys are some of the coolest dudes I know up north, and some of the most talented musicians the bay has to offer. Definitely a band that deserves more recognition outside the bay area.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/10/interview-hazzards-cure/

Interviews for my next major project are almost complete, so I'm pretty stoked to finish that up. Onward!

mankvill
10-17-2014, 03:46 PM
yay saviours! :party:

Onioner
10-17-2014, 05:56 PM
yay saviours! :party:

Austin asked me to remove 17 instances of the word "fuckin" from the transcript. What a G.

Onioner
12-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Hey people! I interviewed a really killer and kinda bonkershit Bay Area band called Dimesland. They're like if Voivod and Atheist had a baby and that baby had a horrible nightmare. They're awesome and 3/4ths of the band play in Wild Hunt, which is also awesome. I also got to set up a full stream of their new album, so you can listen and enjoy that.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2014/12/interview-album-stream-dimesland/