PDA

View Full Version : BTBAM "The Parallax II: Future Sequence"

DisasterPiece120
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Didn't see a thread yet so I made one. New BTBAM album out 10/9/12. Source is the gauntlet. I'm pretty stoked since BTBAM is one of my favorite bands.

Globally celebrated progressive rock / cutting-edge metal innovators BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME (aka BTBAM) has announced the name of the upcoming full-length album as The Parallax II: Future Sequence. The new album, which clocks in at approximately 72 minutes, will be released October 9 and features artwork from Charlotte, North Carolina artist and designer Chandler Owen (Underoath, Shai Hulud, and Hopesfall). The group - TOMMY ROGERS (vocals / keyboards), PAUL WAGGONER (guitar), DUSTIE WARING (guitar), BLAKE RICHARDSON (drums / percussion) DAN BRIGGS (bass) - are currently preparing for their direct support slot on the Summer Slaughter tour that kicks off in Los Angeles, CA at the House of Blues on Friday, July 20.

The Parallax II: Future Sequence was recorded at The Basement Studios in Winston-Salem, NC with longtime friend of the band and producer Jamie King. Jamie engineered, mixed and mastered The Parallax II: Future Sequence, which makes this the sixth release Jamie and BTBAM have worked together on.

Regarding the concept of The Parallax II: Future Sequence, the new full-length album picks up where the 2011 EP, The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues, left off. "The two main characters of the story take on a journey through space and time with the unenviable task of having to cure the flaws of humanity by any means necessary. While the EP served mostly as an introduction to the characters, Future Sequence contains the action of the story. The lyrics are written in the stream of consciousness style, which really helps to capture the perspective and emotion of the characters. We really enjoyed the challenge of writing this record, and I think we were all pleasantly surprised with how well the music and lyrics jived with one another. I couldn't be happier with how Future Sequence turned out," comments guitarist Paul Waggoner.

Vocalist and keyboardist Tommy Rogers adds his thoughts on the musical direction of The Parallax II: Future Sequence. "This album is BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME on steroids. I feel like we have created an album that perfectly mirrors the band we've been trying to create since day one. An album that has sounds that will stimulate many genres and music fans alike. A conceptual journey that takes the listener to worlds that seem familiar and worlds that make you scratch your head. From start to finish this is music we want to create, not music we think people want us to create. We create songs that keep us (and hopefully you) excited about heavy music. Keep listening… something new will be there each time. Enjoy the music… we enjoyed writing it."

The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues (released 4/12/11) is a three-song strong, 30-minute tour de force of modern heavy music. Produced and engineered by the Grammy award–winning David Bottrill (Tool, Muse, King Crimson, Dream Theater, etc.) with BTBAM, the record soared to #54 on the Billboard Top 200 chart in its first week of release while landing the #5 spot on the Hard Music chart, and #8 on the Independent Albums chart in its first week of release. The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues also debuted in Canada charting at #62 on the Top 200 Current chart, #6 on the Hard chart, and #14 on the Independent chart.

mastodon421
07-16-2012, 10:25 AM
FUCK YES. If this as good as I think it will be, This will be a 1000000000000% lock for album of the year.

electrocute1031
07-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Well now this will be awesome. I can't wait to hear it.

brutal_descent
07-16-2012, 10:44 AM
:drool:

W0unds
07-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Really excited for this. I wonder if we will hear any new songs on Summer Slaughter...one can hope.

mastodon421
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Really excited for this. I wonder if we will hear any new songs on Summer Slaughter...one can hope.

They posted on Facebook yesterday that they will be playing a new song on Summer Slaughter.

slapguitarer
07-16-2012, 03:53 PM
72 minutes? My body is ready. Album of the year contender.

MPF
07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Damn I wasn't expecting this till 2013.

My top 20 of the year thread is going to be impossible to make in December.

anomynous
07-16-2012, 10:09 PM
They debuted a new song in St Louis tonight, it was epic.

XDoomsayerX
07-16-2012, 11:45 PM
This should be good. Honestly, if they play Swim to the Moon at Slaughter I'd be satisfied.

hiddenzombie013
07-17-2012, 12:33 AM
YES! I've been anticipating this album more than any other in recent memory, and it sounds like it's going to be just as amazing as I'm used to from them. They have one of the most consistently great catalogs of any band I can think of. They somehow seem to top themselves and push the boundaries a little farther with each album. If this continues to push them even farther (which it sounds like they are), this will easily be album of the year.

I can't even believe I'm going to see them at Summer Slaughter in two weeks. I know it'll be more a preview of their inevitable headline tour (which I hope comes too), but anything is good honestly. I'm just glad to know they're playing a new song!

BloodoftheKings
07-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Stream 'Telos' + pre orders (http://www.metalblade.com/btbam/order.php)

lol @ the BTBAM space suit.

ShatteredFlame
07-23-2012, 08:14 AM
ahh space ice cream, I now remember why my gnc whey protein taste so familiar :lol:

electrocute1031
07-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Love the new song. Honestly if I had the money I'd probably buy the space suit.

mastodon421
07-23-2012, 04:03 PM
The space suit is honestly the funniest piece of band merch I've ever seen.

slapguitarer
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
The new song kicks ass! This album is gonna be so good. :rocker:

RampinUp46
07-23-2012, 07:58 PM
The space suit is honestly the funniest piece of band merch I've ever seen.

It's interesting, but I still cast my vote for Tenacious D's "cumrag" and The Atlas Moth's "Smoke it All" shirt.

Also...BTBAM has, for some reason, been a band that's sort of hard for me to get into (I listen to Sunn O))) and Opeth, so long songs aren't a problem) and I'm looking to change that.

Part of the reason is due to the fact that I don't know where to start...and my friend that's really into BTBAM hasn't told me all that much about them since we don't meet up that often). I'd like to know what I'm getting into before Summer Slaughter and hopefully enjoy the fuck out of them (properly) at Fun Fun Fun Fest this year.

...Any help? Anyone? :eyes:

slapguitarer
07-23-2012, 08:03 PM
I'd say start Alaska, then just go in chronological order.

mankvill
07-23-2012, 08:29 PM
It's interesting, but I still cast my vote for Tenacious D's "cumrag" and The Atlas Moth's "Smoke it All" shirt.

Also...BTBAM has, for some reason, been a band that's sort of hard for me to get into (I listen to Sunn O))) and Opeth, so long songs aren't a problem) and I'm looking to change that.

Part of the reason is due to the fact that I don't know where to start...and my friend that's really into BTBAM hasn't told me all that much about them since we don't meet up that often). I'd like to know what I'm getting into before Summer Slaughter and hopefully enjoy the fuck out of them (properly) at Fun Fun Fun Fest this year.

I used to hate BTBAM because I'm dumb, but then I picked up The Great Misdirect and I loved it. HOWEVER, get Colors. Colors is a goddamn masterpiece. Or if you want just one song from it, get Sun Of Nothing.

mankvill
07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Stream 'Telos' + pre orders (http://www.metalblade.com/btbam/order.php)

lol @ the BTBAM space suit.

This shit is really good.

hiddenzombie013
07-23-2012, 08:40 PM

All of my friends who are big fans of them have all started by listening to Colors (including myself), so I recommend that. It's truly a phenomenal album in every way. You may not 'get' it at first, but once it does grow on you, you will be addicted.

If you want to start with songs specifically, Prequel to the Sequel (which is on Colors) is the first one I really got into. It's a mid-length song by their standards (8-ish minutes), and it's a solid introduction to them. Other popular songs from them but not too long are Selkies, Obfuscation, and Mordecai. Finally, if you just want to know all the songs they play on Summer Slaughter, they play (in order) White Walls (closing track on Colors), Specular Reflection, Telos (new song), Sun of Nothing (also on Colors), and Fossil Genera. What I find awesome, is how only a band like BTBAM would have a co-headlining set with only 5 songs (pretty much every song is 10+ minutes).

Anyways, so far I love the new track. I've only heard it once, but it sounds just like I had hoped it would: completely unpredictable and awesome. So excited for the new album. On a side note, it's really scary how seriously I'm considering one of those spacesuits. It'd make a great Halloween costume, and getting a signed album would sweeten the deal. I also thought about the collector's bundle, but I could do without the flag or the shirt (although I wouldn't mind me the LP or some space ice cream...).

masterguy49
07-23-2012, 08:59 PM

I started off with Colors, then Alaska, then the Great Misdirect. For Summer Slaughter it looks like they're just playing off TGM, Colors, the EP they put out last year, and the new album.

mastodon421
07-24-2012, 03:58 AM
I'd say start Alaska, then just go in chronological order.

Coming from a BTBAM fanboy, This.

RampinUp46
07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm currently listening to the Colors album. It's rather odd, I must admit. There's so many "influences" in these songs...and they all blend together quite well. The death growl is definitely prominent, along with clean vocals, some stuff in between, complete dicking around on the instruments...if I had to give it an "X meets Y" analogy, I'd probably say "Rush meets death metal" or "Dream Theater and Opeth with a slight "modern" influence vocally (I have no idea how to describe it without saying "like Whitechapel, except I don't toler-hate it" :lol:).

Sun of Nothing just began, by the way.

...I really, really like this so far. I can only guess that it'll grow on me over time.

Thanks guys! :D

electrocute1031
07-26-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm currently listening to the Colors album. It's rather odd, I must admit. There's so many "influences" in these songs...and they all blend together quite well. The death growl is definitely prominent, along with clean vocals, some stuff in between, complete dicking around on the instruments...if I had to give it an "X meets Y" analogy, I'd probably say "Rush meets death metal" or "Dream Theater and Opeth with a slight "modern" influence vocally (I have no idea how to describe it without saying "like Whitechapel, except I don't toler-hate it" :lol:).

Sun of Nothing just began, by the way.

...I really, really like this so far. I can only guess that it'll grow on me over time.

Thanks guys! :D

Just gets better and better from Sun of Nothing onwards. First time I heard Ants of the Sky, and White Walls they completely blew my mind. Especially since the first time I heard them it was live so I had no clue what to expect.

DisasterPiece120
08-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Song samples are up. Many of them sound pretty bad ass. Quite a few interludes on this album as well. Also the song Bloom reminds me of Mr. Bungle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Parallax-II-Future-Sequence/dp/B008YQQA0G/ref=sr_shvl_album_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345494439&sr=301-3

hiddenzombie013
08-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Song samples are up. Many of them sound pretty bad ass. Quite a few interludes on this album as well. Also the song Bloom reminds me of Mr. Bungle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Parallax-II-Future-Sequence/dp/B008YQQA0G/ref=sr_shvl_album_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345494439&sr=301-3

So we've got three tracks over 10 minutes (one of which is over 15), and two that are 15 seconds or less from being 10 minutes? Ohhhh man this will be juicy.

mastodon421
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
:drool:

InFlamesOfBirchmen
08-23-2012, 05:09 PM
I listened to Colors in its entirety twice today, which, given my short musical attention span, is saying something. How I've neglected to listen to these guys is beyond me. BRING ON PARALLAX II!

zgodt
12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
This album is ridiculously good.