PDA

View Full Version : Mayhem Festival -- Boise, ID -- July 4th, 2012

Wrecking Crew
07-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Venue: Idaho Center Ampitheater

I only went for Anthax/Motorhead/Slayer and the setlists were the same as has been previously reported, with Slayer playing Die By the Sword instead of Strike of the Beast which is a good thing as far as I am concerned. Joey also did a brief intro of The Ripper before launching into Madhouse, I am guessing that is happening everywhere.
It was a blazing hot day with temperatures in the 90s and not a cloud in the sky. But the crowds were great and I couldn't believe how many attractive women were crowd surfing down in the pit, I love Idaho! As an old person myself, it's good to see these three bands still going strong. As for the sets, I was very disappointed in Anthrax's set, two covers and no Among the Living?!? They had a overflow crowd on the side stage, they probably should have been on the main stage. Motorhead's sound wasn't well mixed and even though Mickey Dee is awesome, I don't think there should be a drum solo in a short festival set. I had never seen them or Anthrax before so I still had a good time.
Slayer absolutely dominated the show in my eyes, even my brother who had just come for Anthrax admitted they had the best live show of all 3. Even though the odds of Slayer not playing Dead Skin Mask appear to be the same as getting Rush to quit playing Tom Sawyer, I can forgive its appearance since they played Hell Awaits which they didn't play when I saw them last year. Their stage fire looked cool too, although the last thing this day needed was more heat. I will include pics if I can figure out how, a great day all around since Idaho is getting virtually no good concerts this year.

GarageMetal468
07-06-2012, 08:56 AM
with Slayer playing Die By the Sword instead of Strike of the Beast

:confused:

IrritatedTrout
07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Bay area date had the Exodus cover.

DisposableJustice
07-06-2012, 10:07 AM
2 days and counting for me:rocker:

Hey for those who have gone to the past 4 shows (LA, SF, Seattle, Boise) how are the shirts, any cool ones I should keep an eye out for? I am really only planning on getting a Slayer and Motorhead shirt

XDoomsayerX
07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
No one likes Dead Skin Mask? Da fuck? :confused:

Also crowd really seems divided this year at Mayhem. A bunch of peeps just there for Anthrax, Motorhead, and Slayer.

christopher
07-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I can't believe this tour hit Boise. If my girlfriend thought that was bad, imagine how much of a white trash bash this one was :lol:

Wrecking Crew
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Hey for those who have gone to the past 4 shows (LA, SF, Seattle, Boise) how are the shirts, any cool ones I should keep an eye out for? I am really only planning on getting a Slayer and Motorhead shirt

Shirts were $30 - $35 each depending on design. Motorhead's probably looked the coolest, I remember seeing the Slayer war helmet one too.

Wrecking Crew
07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I can't believe this tour hit Boise. If my girlfriend thought that was bad, imagine how much of a white trash bash this one was :lol:

One of my friends with me said it was the whitest crowd at anything he had ever seen :D. Hopefully more good metal will come here, a newspaper report the day before the festival said between 8-9,000 tickets had been sold, does anyone know how that compares to other stops? Both Motorhead and Anthrax said they had never been here before, hopefully they will stop by again :rocker:

christopher
07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
One of my friends with me said it was the whitest crowd at anything he had ever seen :D. Hopefully more good metal will come here, a newspaper report the day before the festival said between 8-9,000 tickets had been sold, does anyone know how that compares to other stops? Both Motorhead and Anthrax said they had never been here before, hopefully they will stop by again :rocker:

My brother moved up to Boise a few years back and its definitely the whitest city ever haha I heard that 26,000 people went to the one in San Bernardino. It's apparently the biggest crowd to attend the San Bernadino venue in years. Oh you should check out the Hank III show on September 2nd at the Knitting Factory in Boise if you want a good country/metal show. It'll probably sell out soon though.

TonyD
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
:confused:

It's ok to be confused, bro

velvetgrass
07-06-2012, 01:54 PM
How are Slipknot doing their shows without Jim Root? Is it like Paul Gray, where there is a guy playing bass not seen on stage (behind a curtain) or are they just winging it without a replacement?

Sepultura69
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM

I literally got to the show with my friend by 7:30 pm. Missing all the bands, and hearing motor head from the outside as we trek our way down to the entrance and into the show. By the time we got there it was like around 7:50ish so we just dashed to get a good spot for Tom Araya and Co. didn't have time to check out the expensive merchandise ;) ;) :cool: :cool: :cool:

slapguitarer
07-06-2012, 05:11 PM
How are Slipknot doing their shows without Jim Root? Is it like Paul Gray, where there is a guy playing bass not seen on stage (behind a curtain) or are they just winging it without a replacement?

They have some dudes from the other bands fillin in behind the curtain.

TonyD
07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I believe As I Lay Dying? Nick Hipa rings a bell.

TheNobleFaceHumper
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I believe As I Lay Dying? Nick Hipa rings a bell.

I think it's the other guy in AILD, not Nick.

mastodon421
07-06-2012, 09:01 PM
I think it's the other guy in AILD, not Nick.
It's both Nick and Phil actually according to Rolling Stone's review.

Onioner
07-07-2012, 12:31 AM
It's both Nick and Phil actually according to Rolling Stone's review.

Then again, Rolling Stone's review also said that Slayer opened up with "God Hates Us All." :rolleyes:

mastodon421
07-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Then again, Rolling Stone's review also said that Slayer opened up with "God Hates Us All." :rolleyes:

That's an understandable mistake considering that the lyric God Hates Us All is repeated a bunch in Disciple.

Chris_M_S
07-07-2012, 09:29 AM
It's both of the AILD guitarists

anomynous
07-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Antisocial and Got the Time hardly qualify as covers anymore, everybody knows them an Anthrax songs.

Plus have they ever not played Antisocial since it was released? I know they've only not played Got the Time once since Joey returned.

rgavz
07-23-2012, 01:43 PM
What time did Anthrax hit the stage?

NickLed19
07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
5:20

TonyD
07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
So Slayer only played Strike of the Beast in the bay?