PDA

View Full Version : Favorite PANTURRRUUUHHH Album

John The Drummer
07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Since it's the 4th of July, I figured "What is more 'murican than PANNTURRUHHHH!?" So... which album is your favorite?

:light:

Sepultura69
07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
The Great Southern Trendkill. Floods is one of the greatest songs ever created.

Although far beyond driven is right behind it.

DementedX14
07-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Vulgar Display of Power

mankvill
07-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Sacrament

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
There's no "none of them" option.

brutal_descent
07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Sacrament

:lol:

mastodon421
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Sacrament

:finger: Vulgar Display of Power with Cowboys From Hell and Far Beyond Driven are right behind it though.

BloodoftheKings
07-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Power Metal.

John The Drummer
07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Power Metal.

good man.

:horns:

ravenheart
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Too difficult. Anything but the first 3.

elturtleboy
07-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Great Southern. The title track is just so aggressive and pissed off. Plus Seth Putnam guest vox :D

IrritatedTrout
07-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Metal Magic.:clown:

daimonos
07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Far Beyond Driven, by far.

Dextrimental
07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Vulgar Display of Power is very close to Cowboys From Hell, but I got to give the vote to Vulgar. Absolutely perfect 1-2 punch of albums, great song-writing, good lyrics (complete with a couple of dodgy moments, which I find just add to the character of the album!), and great energy. I think that part makes them really stand out to me is the fact they sound like an actual band, it sounds like they're actually jamming, in your stereo. Far Beyond Driven, Great Southern Trendkill and Power Metal are right behind them too. Reinventing The Steel is next in line, then the other three.

mankvill
07-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Slaughter In The Vatican

Fates Guardian
07-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Slaughter In The Vatican

:party:

JRA
07-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Slaughter In The Vatican

I gotta be honest, I tried listening to that album and I got bored about 3 minutes in. Great riffs, but no sense of song construction.

My pick is for Vulgar, though I think it's an album that ultimately ruined heavy metal.

mankvill
07-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I gotta be honest, I tried listening to that album and I got bored about 3 minutes in. Great riffs, but no sense of song construction.

Which is why Pantera copied it.

BOOYAH

christopher
07-04-2012, 05:53 PM
GSTK :D

adamclark52
07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
It's tough between Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven and the Great Southern Trendkill but I chose Far Beyond Driven.

Vulgar Display of Power may be the quintessential Pantera album but I've listened to it so much that the songs are tired to me. The Great Southern Trendkill has some of their best songs but also some that do nothing for me.

The first time I ever smoked hash was listening to Use My Third Arm and that shit was FUCKING AWESOME!

ravenheart
07-04-2012, 07:07 PM
I always found Vulgar Display a bit tiresome by the end.

BloodoftheKings
07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Slaughter In The Vatican

:lol: 10/10

jhdeity
07-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Very entertaining thread. Floods is one of the greatest songs ever penned but Vulgar start to finish is Top 5 all time to me. Truly a flawless piece of work

makethemsuffer12
07-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I really wanted to choose Power Metal, but I had to go with CFH.

JRA
07-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Which is why Pantera copied it.

BOOYAH

Oh please. I'd rather listen to Domination over Death In Vain anyday.

SomewhereInTime72
07-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Cowboys is pretty much the only one I can listen all the way through nowadays.

hellawaits77ny
07-05-2012, 04:58 AM
GSTK for me. Very underrated. Such a great range of metal in that album.

ravenheart
07-05-2012, 05:16 AM
GSTK for me. Very underrated. Such a great range of metal in that album.

My first Pantera album, actually. Always liked it.

Sanitarium78
07-05-2012, 05:34 AM
I went with Vulgar. That album just blew everyone away at the time and it was one of the lone shining beacons of light in the dying metal scene in the 90s. In fact, i'll go as far as to say that if this album wasn't released, the future of the metal genre would've have been in serious trouble. I know some of you youngins might not understand that, but if you were around at that time you know exactly what i'm talking about.

GarageMetal468
07-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Slaughter In The Vatican

:lol: I was gonna say that earlier but decided not to... so The Law!

ravenheart
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
I went with Vulgar. That album just blew everyone away at the time and it was one of the lone shining beacons of light in the dying metal scene in the 90s. In fact, i'll go as far as to say that if this album wasn't released, the future of the metal genre would've have been in serious trouble. I know some of you youngins might not understand that, but if you were around at that time you know exactly what i'm talking about.

Pah. All this "dying metal scene in the '90s" stuff is total bullshit. People need to stop repeating it like they're quoting Rolling Stone or something. Sure it wasn't as popular as it was in the '70s and '80s, but there were a fuckton of awesome albums and awesome tours throughout the whole decade. It was a great decade for metal.

JRA
07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Pah. All this "dying metal scene in the '90s" stuff is total bullshit. People need to stop repeating it like they're quoting Rolling Stone or something. Sure it wasn't as popular as it was in the '70s and '80s, but there were a fuckton of awesome albums and awesome tours throughout the whole decade. It was a great decade for metal.

The only thing more bullshit than this is the fact that Reinventing The Steel has zero votes.

treghet
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Power Metal for me. Also, agreed with ravenheart. Lots of great stuff happened in the '90s. No doubt that Pantera helped metal, but did they single-handedly save it? No.

makethemsuffer12
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I think the whole "Pantera saved metal" thing is really just about metal in the mainstream. If anything I think the '90s is probably the most important decade for underground metal, as that's when it really started diversifying, along with the end of the '80s.

slapguitarer
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I think the whole "Pantera saved metal" thing is really just about metal in the mainstream. If anything I think the '90s is probably the most important decade for underground metal, as that's when it really started diversifying, along with the end of the '80s.

Pretty much this. The 90's is when things like Stoner Metal, Black Metal and Death Metal were really taking off. But if you're talking metal in the mainstream, yeah, there were better times than the 90's.

SomewhereInTime72
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM

+1

hellawaits77ny
07-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Floods is one of the greatest songs ever penned

Fuck yeah :rocker::rocker:

Sepultura69
07-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Fuck yeah :rocker::rocker:

You should read my 2nd post on the first page of this thread. ;) ;) :D

John The Drummer
01-12-2013, 08:48 AM
not to necro post... but i dont see all the hype for vulgar display. that album bores me to tears. it has some good songs, but i really lose interest fast.

adamclark52
01-12-2013, 04:29 PM
not to necro post... but i dont see all the hype for vulgar display. that album bores me to tears. it has some good songs, but i really lose interest fast.

I'm bored by it now because I've listened to it so fucking much, but in 1992 that shit was awesome.

And that new song they released from it last year...that was terrible.

John The Drummer
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm bored by it now because I've listened to it so fucking much, but in 1992 that shit was awesome.

And that new song they released from it last year...that was terrible.

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

adamclark52
01-12-2013, 08:43 PM

exactly

Nausea
07-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Personally I think Far Beyond Driven is their best album. It might not have their top 3 hits, but it has their next 4-10 greatest hits. I use to think Vulgar was the best, but honestly just hasnt stood up as well though the years. I'd now say TGSTK is an easy second place pick, with vulgar coming in strong at 3rd place.

mankvill
07-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Either Sacrament or Ashes of the Wake, although As The Palaces Burn and Wrath are pretty good.

I may have made this joke already in this thread.

Nausea
07-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Either Sacrament or Ashes of the Wake, although As The Palaces Burn and Wrath are pretty good.

I may have made this joke already in this thread.

Yeah I think I saw this joke previously in this thread, and it's a fine joke for what it is... however curious if this is meant to be a dig at Pantera, or a dig at LOG? I think when Ashes of the Wake came out, my first thought was "YES! we have a new Pantera of the 2000's" :light:

mankvill
07-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Yeah I think I saw this joke previously in this thread, and it's a fine joke for what it is... however curious if this is meant to be a dig at Pantera, or a dig at LOG? I think when Ashes of the Wake came out, my first thought was "YES! we have a new Pantera of the 2000's" :light:

Both because they both SSSUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK

:3

JRA
07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Back in 2004 we already had way too many Panteras for the 2000s as it was. It made me boycott them for the longest time even after Dimebag's death.

adamclark52
07-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Can I just say one thing since this threads gotten necro-bumped:

Nausea
07-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Both because they both SSSUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK

:3

Metalheads are so fickle. I think that is probably one of the things I hate most about the metal community. Flash back to 2002-2007ish, Lamb of God was without a doubt the hottest act in metal. Everyone wanted to be apart of their monster pits and taking part in the walls of death. Find me one metal message board pre-2006 that was talking shit about LOG. It doesn't exist. Did LOG change their sound? Nope, not really. Sure some albums are better than others, but they haven't done much to bring the hate. It's just cool to hate on popular bands, and pretend like you're so much better than others cause you're elite. I'm done pretending I like some obscure band more to sound cool.... because liking obscure shitty music doesn't make the music not shitty.

I like Lamb of God. I like Pantera. I like Death. I like Bloodbath. I like Gojira. I like Bolt Thrower. I like Carcass. I like old Metallica. No amount of metal community hate for these bands is really going to change my opinion of their music. good music is good.

AnthG
07-02-2014, 07:40 AM
I don't think you're going to last long here.

Nausea
07-02-2014, 08:14 AM
I don't think you're going to last long here.

yeah probably not. :allan:

MetalIsArt
07-02-2014, 08:31 AM
yeah probably not. :allan:

Leave the cigar smoking to me, kid :allan:

Anyway, I rank them like this:

Vulgar Display Of Power
Far Beyond Driven
Cowboys From Hell
The Great Southeren Trendkill
Reinventing The Steel

adamclark52
07-02-2014, 08:51 AM
For the longest time I told myself that the Great Southern Trendkill was their best album because it's the kewl thing to do. It does have a few wicked songs but it has some stinkers too. After hearing a retrospective on Far Beyond Driven this past winter I came to realize that is their best album. The songs, the production, the attitude; all perfect.

moobys37
07-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Sacrament

:party:

Trendkill is the only Pantera record I can get through without laughing.

Natrlhi
07-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I like Death. I like Bloodbath. I like Gojira. I like Bolt Thrower. I like Carcass. I like old Metallica.
So do I. Not sure what your point was here.

I don't care much for Pantera or LoG, for reasons I already explained. It's got nothing to do with being fickle - I never really liked them in the first place.

Having said that, is the metal fanbase overall fickle? Probably. More fickle than for any other genre? Probably not. Changing tastes is the nature of the beast, and passing popularity is the way of consumerism in general - and make no mistake...music is both part art and part consumerism - especially these days. Hell, there's even a band out there now that call themselves "Into It. Over It.", which illustrates the point perfectly. Individuals tend to bandwagon sometimes, and the market as a whole even more so.

Does it mean there aren't loyal folks out there who stick to their guns? Of course not. I would say though, that being steadfastly loyal to a band in light of decreasing quality of output is a bit of a myopic view. Bands should lose fans if they start to lose that "je ne sais quoi" that made them awesome back in their earlier days - I hate to say it, but it's true. They especially deserve to lose fans if they stop trying altogether because finally having plenty of the almighty dollar allows them to get lazy. I'm not sure which of these has happened to bands like Metallica and Slayer, but let's face it - the quality of the work just isn't the same anymore. Look how hard Metallica had to try to squeeze out some good stuff on "Death Magnetic". Unfortunately, it's a sign of their eventual inevitable decline. It's OK, though. It happens to everyone.

There's nothing wrong with fans being honest about what they like and don't like - that's what keeps the quality of the music high. It may seem like a cold way to look at things, but competition among artists is good for everyone - it keeps the artists on their toes and it keeps the quality level high and incentivizes growth into new areas.

Will there be some sheep out there who just blindly listen to the latest directives from the masses and clamor in the direction of the next loudest buzz? Of course. Today's market depends on it. That, and people are stupid. There's no getting around it. Don't worry, though - we all know that not everybody is like that, and in particular the folks on here tend to be the exception to that rule more than the example of it. That's one of the reasons we all come here.

Nausea
07-02-2014, 10:17 AM
For the longest time I told myself that the Great Southern Trendkill was their best album because it's the kewl thing to do. It does have a few wicked songs but it has some stinkers too. After hearing a retrospective on Far Beyond Driven this past winter I came to realize that is their best album. The songs, the production, the attitude; all perfect.

I completely agree. mad props for what Terry Date did with the production quality of Far Beyond Driven. It's just so aggressive, and clean, and to not sound stale 20 years later is an amazing production feat. It also helps that every song on that album is great. There isnt a single song I would have pulled from that album, and I can't say the same about any of their other albums.

mankvill
07-02-2014, 10:24 AM
I also have never liked Pantera or Lamb of God :blaze:

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-02-2014, 10:33 AM
I like Lamb of God. I like Pantera. I like Death. I like Bloodbath. I like Gojira. I like Bolt Thrower. I like Carcass. I like old Metallica. No amount of metal community hate for these bands is really going to change my opinion of their music. good music is good.

You're not the only one, most of my favorite bands are the ones that are fun to hate. Except mine are probably the most hated of all. Motley Crue, Poison, Winger, Black Veil Brides, DragonForce, Amaranthe, Avenged Sevenfold, and heck of a lot more. I even love Nelson, so that right there should tell you all you need to know about me. And do I care that everyone hates them all? HECK TO THE NO!!!!

You get use to it eventually, I know I have.

Nausea
07-02-2014, 10:45 AM
I like Death. I like Bloodbath. I like Gojira. I like Bolt Thrower. I like Carcass. I like old Metallica.

So do I. Not sure what your point was here.

My point there was just simply these are bands I like, and I'm going to continue to like them even if popular opinion in the metal community changes. I am just not all that fickle. And really the main band this this was targeted at is Lamb Of God, because I'd be willing to bet that some of the people saying "LOG SUXXXS" were probably saying "OMG LOG BEST EVER!!!!" 7 years ago. Do I think everyone in metal 7 years ago liked LOG? No, I know that isnt true, nor do I think everyone should like them. Hate them and think they suck? Okay.

Having said that, is the metal fanbase overall fickle? Probably. More fickle than for any other genre? Probably not. Changing tastes is the nature of the beast, and passing popularity is the way of consumerism in general - and make no mistake...music is both part art and part consumerism - especially these days. Hell, there's even a band out there now that call themselves "Into It. Over It.", which illustrates the point perfectly. Individuals tend to bandwagon sometimes, and the market as a whole even more so.

I agree with this. although might question it being more fickle than others. I am probably just more sensitive to the fickle nature of Metal because that's the genre i follow more closely.

Does it mean there aren't loyal folks out there who stick to their guns? Of course not. I would say though, that being steadfastly loyal to a band in light of decreasing quality of output is a bit of a myopic view. Bands should lose fans if they start to lose that "je ne sais quoi" that made them awesome back in their earlier days - I hate to say it, but it's true. They especially deserve to lose fans if they stop trying altogether because finally having plenty of the almighty dollar allows them to get lazy. I'm not sure which of these has happened to bands like Metallica and Slayer, but let's face it - the quality of the work just isn't the same anymore. Look how hard Metallica had to try to squeeze out some good stuff on "Death Magnetic". Unfortunately, it's a sign of their eventual inevitable decline. It's OK, though. It happens to everyone.

There's nothing wrong with fans being honest about what they like and don't like - that's what keeps the quality of the music high. It may seem like a cold way to look at things, but competition among artists is good for everyone - it keeps the artists on their toes and it keeps the quality level high and incentivizes growth into new areas.

Okay so I don't disagree with this perse, however I assert that lessor quality later work shouldn't detract from the greatness of earlier work. Completely agree Metallica should lose fans after load, reload, st anger, DM... However making St. Anger shouldn't make MOP any less great/special.

Nausea
07-02-2014, 10:49 AM
You're not the only one, most of my favorite bands are the ones that are fun to hate. Except mine are probably the most hated of all. Motley Crue, Poison, Winger, Black Veil Brides, DragonForce, Amaranthe, Avenged Sevenfold, and heck of a lot more. I even love Nelson, so that right there should tell you all you need to know about me. And do I care that everyone hates them all? HECK TO THE NO!!!!

You get use to it eventually, I know I have.

\m/ Yeah I know I'm not the only one. And yes, you win the prize for most hated bands :D but I can appreciate you sticking to your guns

TheWildAndTheYoung
07-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Okay so I don't disagree with this perse, however I assert that lessor quality later work shouldn't detract from the greatness of earlier work. Completely agree Metallica should lose fans after load, reload, st anger, DM... However making St. Anger shouldn't make MOP any less great/special.

Should lose fans? Yes. Should not gain new ones? Absolutely not.

AnthG
07-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I just find it ironic that the person who's claiming people are fickle and just hate stuff that's easy to hate and change their opinion of a band is the same person who said "Fuck Green Day" in another thread, you know, another band that lost a lot of fans when they changed musically.

slapguitarer
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
I just find it ironic that the person who's claiming people are fickle and just hate stuff that's easy to hate and change their opinion of a band is the same person who said "Fuck Green Day" in another thread, you know, another band that lost a lot of fans when they changed musically.

yeah but he said fuck green day because green day always sucked because punk sucks. it was his 2,000th post, you should've read it better. it was quite the occasion.

Nausea
07-02-2014, 12:25 PM

That's not Irony or being fickle, because I've never liked Green Day. I don't necessarily hate punk either. Like I listened to Good Charlotte debut album once, and it wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard.

Also... I wasn't claiming anyone here was being fickle. Maybe people are, how am I supposed to know? Maybe people here always hated LOG, and they are just being consistent with their hate. My comments were only generalizations about the entire metal community which is much larger than this small message board.

In conclusion - Fuck Green Day. Especially Billie. I don't have a good reason for my hate, other than I'm no fan of his voice, guitar, or song writing.

AnthG
07-02-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm not a big fan of punk, but calling Good Charlotte "punk"? Lol.

yeah but he said fuck green day because green day always sucked because punk sucks. it was his 2,000th post, you should've read it better. it was quite the occasion.

That was TWATTY. I was referring to Nausea.

mankvill
07-02-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't necessarily hate punk either. Like I listened to Good Charlotte debut album once, and it wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard.

w

wat

Nausea
07-02-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of punk, but calling Good Charlotte "punk"? Lol.

They are often labeled that way from what I've seen. Okay Then how about Rancid or the Ramones? I saw both of them back at Lollapalooza 1996 and I enjoyed their sets. They weren't nearly as good as Soundgarden or Metallica that year, but the whole show was pretty awesome. Especially the Shaolin buddhist monks

JRA
07-02-2014, 01:58 PM
I absolutely agree with Nat on the "lose the spark = lose the fans" theory. It's pretty offensive that Metallica have gotten away with all the shit they have yet are still able to play arenas in this country. They should be playing 2000 seat clubs on a good night.

marker
07-02-2014, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=JRA;578747] They should be playing 2000 seat clubs on a good night.[/QUOTE

Ridiculous statement. Legendary bands who sell that many records will always be huge.
I get your point though.

John The Drummer
07-02-2014, 06:05 PM
WHY HAS GOOD CHARLOTTE AND GREEN DAY BEEN BROUGHT UP IN A PANTERA THREAD!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WALK ON HOME, BOYS!!!!

AnthG
07-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Pantera was brought up in the Green day thread so it's only fair!

MetalIsArt
07-02-2014, 11:57 PM
I also have never liked Pantera or Lamb of God :blaze:

But do you like SOMETHING?

;)

MetalIsArt
07-03-2014, 03:06 AM

Great Southern Trendkill contains one of the best solos ever (Floods), but for some reason the album will never grow on me as much as FBD did.

adamclark52
07-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Great Southern Trendkill contains one of the best solos ever (Floods), but for some reason the album will never grow on me as much as FBD did.

The solo was great but I always preferred the guitar work in the outro.

MetalIsArt
07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
The solo was great but I always preferred the guitar work in the outro.

That too. It gets extra chilling once you realise that he's no longer with us.