PDA

View Full Version : Mayhem Festival -- Mountain View, CA -- July 1st, 2012

Onioner
07-02-2012, 12:28 AM
I had a great time, despite the overwhelmingly high ratio of poop to awesome. Got to hang with and see a huge amount of friends, and even made a couple throughout the day. I even ran into some kids from high school that I hadn't seen in a year.

Anthrax ruled. Their 40 minutes was an absolute blast, and honestly their setlist was a ton of fun, even if I'd heard all the songs before. Jason Bittner did an okay job on drums, he missed a lot of Charlie's signature fills and fell off time a couple of times.

1. Caught in a Mosh
2. Got the Time
3. Fight 'Em Till You Can't
4. Antisocial
5. Indians
6. Madhouse
7. I Am the Law

The sheer insanity from the set also caused this. Only some of the blood is mine by the way.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/562838_4197793465629_1333818924_n.jpg

Next for me was Motorhead, and they were fun as always. Mikkey Dee is still one of the best drummers ever, and Phil and Lemmy are still hilarious in between songs. I hadn't heard Bomber and The One to Sing the Blues before so that was a ton of fun. Bomber was pretty much as badass of an opener as one could expect. And yes friends, they didn't play Metropolis and Stay Clean wasn't the second song. It was amazing. :party:

1. Bomber
2. Damage Case
3. I Know How to Die
4. Stay Clean
5. Over the Top
6. The Chase Is Better Than the Catch
7. The One to Sing the Blues
8. Going to Brazil
9. Killed by Death
10. Ace of Spades
11. Overkill

Slayer's set was awesome as hell, Gary Holt has seriously kicked some life into these guys. He was running around everywhere and was generally being a badass throughout the entire set. On a random note, my friends and I were originally going to pregame in the parking lot with him, his wife and a bunch of other random bay area folks, but traffic affecting a bunch of us killed that plan. And yes, the band actually covered Strike of the Beast and it was sick. Tom flubbed some of the lyrics during the second verse, but no one cared because everyone was having a fun time. When they played the opening riff, my friends and I all thought Gary was just teasing the crowd, but then they actually did the full song and we went nuts. This friends, is why the bay area rules. Yeah we missed Die By The Sword because the band had to stick to the set times, but I'll personally take live Exodus songs over live Slayer songs any day. Also, Hell Awaits is such an amazing song live, I can't believe they didn't play it for a few years.

1. Disciple
2. War Ensemble
3. Hate Worldwide
4. Mandatory Suicide
5. Altar of Sacrifice
6. Jesus Saves
7. Seasons in the Abyss
8. Hell Awaits
9. Dead Skin Mask
10. Strike of the Beast
11. Angel of Death
Encore
12. South of Heaven
13. Raining Blood

My friends and I bailed before Slipknot to beat traffic. Who am I kidding, we just didn't want to see Slipknot. Regardless of the fact that the sets were killer, I loved seeing so many of my friends that I hadn't hung out with in so long, and seeing all the bay area regulars around really was very cool. Time to go to sleep and find out if I can get out of bed tomorrow morning!

Spiner202
07-02-2012, 05:01 AM
:drool: Strike of the Beast

tenchimyo
07-02-2012, 05:52 AM
LOL what's the story about the blood?

Sounds like you had a great time!

makethemsuffer12
07-02-2012, 06:11 AM
I would fucking love if they did Strike for the rest of the tour, but I'm assuming it was special for this show.

300%_Density
07-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Granted we are only 2 reviews in but I like the fact that pretty much all of the reviews start out that the first band they saw was Anthrax, and completely ignoring the rest of the 2nd stage which is the smart thing to do. Curious how many others will do this? I know if I was still going I'd be doing the same thing.

makethemsuffer12
07-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Granted we are only 2 reviews in but I like the fact that pretty much all of the reviews start out that the first band they saw was Anthrax, and completely ignoring the rest of the 2nd stage which is the smart thing to do. Curious how many others will do this? I know if I was still going I'd be doing the same thing.

I know I'm showing up to catch Whitechapel and As I Lay Dying, but that's about it.

Steev
07-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Im going early, Clown signs his book at 2 and Anthrax sign at 3

as for side stage bands I love AILD and want to see UABB

mastodon421
07-02-2012, 06:54 AM
I know I'm showing up to catch Whitechapel and As I Lay Dying, but that's about it.

Exactly this. I don't hate TDWP either, so I'll watch their set as well.

XDoomsayerX
07-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Nope I got there for As I Lay Dying, caught all there set minus one song I believe. Wouldn't minded to see Whitechapel but caught some traffic. And personally I enjoyed As I Lay Dying a lot more than Anthrax. :tongue:
Asking Alaxandria though avoid at all cost :barf:

makethemsuffer12
07-02-2012, 07:06 AM
I actually kinda wanna see Asking Alexandria for the lulz. :lol:

PlaysWithKnives
07-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Sounds like a fun show. Even though Anthrax does the same old stuff, they still put a a great show on. I thought they were getting more time from what I read. Oh well. Like the Motorhead set. That Slayer set is great. Nice throwing SOTB in there. Cant wait for our turn. If I had my way id leave before Slipknot. That was a good idea. I forgot about the shitty core bands. I have no interest in them. They should be good for a laugh or two though :D

John The Drummer
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Tomorrow is the "Seattle" date of the show, I am not going, but Slayer better not play SOTB or else I will rage.... hard!!!!

mastodon421
07-02-2012, 12:49 PM

Also this:lol:

Onioner
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
LOL what's the story about the blood?

Sounds like you had a great time!

Yup, it certainly was a fun time. No real story about the blood other than it being caused by pit shenanigans haha. I got knocked down three times, so that explains the knee, but I truly have no idea where the blood on the back of my shirt, my sock and the bottom of my jeans came from.

BloodoftheKings
07-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Also this:lol:

What lulz could possibly be derived from seeing Asking Alexandria? I get how Emmure could be pretty funny but Asking Alexandria just sounds like fucking torture.

wachan242
07-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Anyone take pictures of the merch booths?

makethemsuffer12
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
What lulz could possibly be derived from seeing Asking Alexandria? I get how Emmure could be pretty funny but Asking Alexandria just sounds like fucking torture.

Because scene kids are lulz. And if they get boo'd by the Slayer/Slipknot fans, it'll all be worth it.

street_burial
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Anyone take pictures of the merch booths?

found these online.

http://metalshowfame.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_20120630_160211.jpg?w=700&h=

http://metalshowfame.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_20120630_160041.jpg?w=700&h=

http://metalshowfame.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_20120630_160020.jpg?w=700&h=

http://metalshowfame.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_20120630_160002.jpg?w=700&h=

http://metalshowfame.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_20120630_155941.jpg?w=700&h=

http://metalshowfame.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_20120630_155921.jpg?w=700&h=

http://metalshowfame.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_20120630_151917.jpg?w=700&h=

http://metalshowfame.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_20120630_151913.jpg?w=700&h=

energymetal14
07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I agree, although I saw Emmure at NEMHF for the joke aspect, and it wasn't even funny, it was just horrendous. Now I probably won't see bands just as a joke anymore.

NickLed19
07-03-2012, 01:19 AM
I wanna see the Slayer shirts.

mastodon421
07-03-2012, 04:26 AM

I'm sure their performance will be torture, but seeing the crowd reaction for them on main stage should be hilarious and make it entertaining.

Steev
07-03-2012, 06:06 AM
I'm sure their performance will be torture, but seeing the crowd reaction for them on main stage should be hilarious and make it entertaining.

truthfully in the years Ive been at Mayhem the only Main Stage opener people really bothered showing up for was 5FDP(who had a bigger crowd than any main stage band)

last year even during Megadeth the crowd was pretty sparse and weak

TonyD
07-03-2012, 09:17 AM
5FDP(who had a bigger crowd than any main stage band)

Come on

dcmetal108
07-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Come on guys. Asking Alexandria aren't that bad. When I saw them there was 0 scene kids dancing. Just good ol' fashion pits and it ended with a huge ass wall of death.

slapguitarer
07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
You shoulda checked out one of the openers, A Band Of Orcs. They'd probably be really fun live.

XDoomsayerX
07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Come on guys. Asking Alexandria aren't that bad. When I saw them there was 0 scene kids dancing. Just good ol' fashion pits and it ended with a huge ass wall of death.

They just suck. Saw em with ATR a couple years ago and fuck that. BUT they did get a good reception at Mayhem, got the biggest pit of the day that went around the sound booth of second stage and asked for a Wall of Death. I was chilling by Rockstar tent getting my fix of free rockstars and witnessed this. If they opened main stage like TDWP then it would be different crowd response I'm sure. It was obvious all the -core fans booked it after main stage started.

dcmetal108
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I mean I can see why they wouldn't get a good reception on the main stage openers. Honestly I don't think AILD, AA, or TDWP will get good receptions on main stage but they will all kick ass on the side stage.

XDoomsayerX
07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
I mean I can see why they wouldn't get a good reception on the main stage openers. Honestly I don't think AILD, AA, or TDWP will get good receptions on main stage but they will all kick ass on the side stage.

Yup my thoughts exactly. TDWP would of tore shit up on second stage, instead I was surrounded by peeps just mocking them and making fun of em cuz their name. :tp:

Onioner
07-03-2012, 12:11 PM
You shoulda checked out one of the openers, A Band Of Orcs. They'd probably be really fun live.

Oh I'm gonna see those guys this Saturday with Coven, Witchaven and Hatchet. I figured if I'm gonna see A Band of Orcs headline anyway, no need to show up 4 hours early to see them.

brutal_descent
07-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Oh I'm gonna see those guys this Saturday with Coven, Witchaven and Hatchet. I figured if I'm gonna see A Band of Orcs headline anyway, no need to show up 4 hours early to see them.

Jelly! Tell me how it goes.

AnthG
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I still think people overestimate negative reactions from fans towards a band that is less heavy or from a different scene than most of the other bands on that tour. Maybe it's because people want to anticipate it because they hate the band so much, but on the day of the show nobody cares and just enjoys the bands they're there to see.

JRA
07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Covering Strike of the Beast is a cool idea but they shouldn't sub out a Show No Mercy song for that. Sub out Disciple or another newer song.

MPF
07-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Covering Strike of the Beast is a cool idea but they shouldn't sub out a Show No Mercy song for that. Sub out Disciple or another newer song.

No, never!

OraclesofAgony
07-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Definitely not Disciple. That sets the tone as the opener.

Sub out Hate Worldwide.

It would've been cool to see the Strike of the Beast cover but I'm glad I got to see Die By The Sword instead.

Steev
07-04-2012, 04:23 AM
Come on

I couldn't even get into the pit when they were on

Yet during LOG, Zombie, and KoRn I was able to pretty much walk up to the railing