14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
Encore
16. Battery
17. One
18. Seek & Destroy

dimmudan
06-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Sweet setlist. Really wanted to see Ride the Lightning in its entirety.

:rocker::rocker:

Sanitarium78
06-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Sweet setlist. Really wanted to see Ride the Lightning in its entirety.

:rocker::rocker:

Well, it doesn't look like you missed out on much considering they didn't play the album in proper order. Sorry, I just cannot make sense out of why they did this with both RTL and TBA? I can't speak for everyone else but I don't listen to the albums backwards, that's not how I learned to love those albums. Play them in the right order or don't even bother. Playing them backwards is just asinine.

MetalIsArt
06-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Well, it doesn't look like you missed out on much considering they didn't play the album in proper order. Sorry, I just cannot make sense out of why they did this with both RTL and TBA? I can't speak for everyone else but I don't listen to the albums backwards, that's not how I learned to love those albums. Play them in the right order or don't even bother. Playing them backwards is just asinine.

I'm not bothered by that, but it should've been nicer if they'd started with the RTL album, because FFWF is one of the best "opening album tracks" ever.

Sanitarium78
06-24-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm not bothered by that, but it should've been nicer if they'd started with the RTL album, because FFWF is one of the best "opening album tracks" ever.

Yes.

Something just doesn't sit right with me with playing the albums backwards, especially with RTL. With the black album i'm not as bothered by it becuase it's an album that divides the fanbase, so them goofing around and doing it that way isn't as bad. It's still stupid though. But doing that with RTL? One of the best metal albums of all time, one of the albums that most fans agree is one of the untouchables in not only Metallica's catalog but of all time in the metal genre. It's great that Escape finally got played, but doing this album backwards is just plain wrong in my book.

El Gordo
06-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Yes.

Something just doesn't sit right with me with playing the albums backwards, especially with RTL. With the black album i'm not as bothered by it becuase it's an album that divides the fanbase, so them goofing around and doing it that way isn't as bad. It's still stupid though. But doing that with RTL? One of the best metal albums of all time, one of the albums that most fans agree is one of the untouchables in not only Metallica's catalog but of all time in the metal genre. It's great that Escape finally got played, but doing this album backwards is just plain wrong in my book.

I completely agree. It's not like I'm outraged by it or anything, but just why? What's the point of playing it backwards? If you're going to do it, do it right. I didn't care when they did it with the black album either, but that album's not sacred. RTL is fucking sacred, it's as sacred as Metallica gets. It'd be like Maiden playing Powerslave backwards. Start with Rime of the Ancient Mariner? The fuck? I know Metallica gets shit on for a lot of things that don't really warrant it. Hell, most of the time I'm one of those people, but I just can't make sense out of this one.

jd091
06-24-2012, 07:29 AM
5. Hell and Back

Since when have they started covering Terror? ;)

PlaysWithKnives
06-24-2012, 07:29 AM
The set is good and hearing RTL live would be awesome. It is kind of strange playing it backwards. Its one the most celebrated metal albums ever. Thats Metallica for you though. Always doing something to bust our balls. Im actually more irked that they did 3 songs from TBA. I get doing Sandman, but the rest could wait. since they are doing it all tonight. I was actually supposed to go to both shows with some friends and make a weekend of it, but circumstances did not permit. Would have been cool to see some of the other bands and some of the other goings on there.

John The Drummer
06-24-2012, 07:57 AM
It's too bad they didn't actually play the album BACKWARDS. I'd love to hear the "YE-HAH"s spoken in reverse :D

MetalIsArt
06-24-2012, 08:11 AM
It's too bad they didn't actually play the album BACKWARDS. I'd love to hear the "YE-HAH"s spoken in reverse :D

That's for next year :lol:

bobbie solo
06-24-2012, 10:12 AM
if they dont play Orion tonight.....well, that's just fucking stupid. I would think you would play the song you named the fest over at least at some point during the initial run of the fest.

christopher
06-24-2012, 10:26 AM
if they dont play Orion tonight.....well, that's just fucking stupid. I would think you would play the song you named the fest over at least at some point during the initial run of the fest.

I think they are going to play Frayed instead since Lars got the crowd chanting that right before they played Escape.

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-24-2012, 10:35 AM
It's stupid that they played any songs from the Black album at all yesterday, because they're playing the entire thing tonight, they need to change it up a bit.

Also it was funny watching Lars about to keel over durin Battery :lol:

Also WHAT THE CRAP LARS, STOP CHANGING THE DRUMS TO SONGS.

bobbie solo
06-24-2012, 10:55 AM
what do you expect from him at this point. He's completely sloppy and clearly isn't in shape at all. he hasnt taken his craft seriously for years. any song that's even remotely fast, and he looks like he's about to lose the whole thing and pass out. he's become a joke of a drummer and it's just sad. The parts he changes or skips are done just so he can stay on beat.

also, stop fucking standing up when you play the drums! he does it so often during the show that it kinda loses the effect.

And how funny are James' wardrobe changes? real rock n roll dude.

tenchimyo
06-24-2012, 11:10 AM
How did they sound?

MetalIsArt
06-24-2012, 11:32 AM
what do you expect from him at this point. He's completely sloppy and clearly isn't in shape at all. he hasnt taken his craft seriously for years. any song that's even remotely fast, and he looks like he's about to lose the whole thing and pass out. he's become a joke of a drummer and it's just sad. The parts he changes or skips are done just so he can stay on beat.

also, stop fucking standing up when you play the drums! he does it so often during the show that it kinda loses the effect.

And how funny are James' wardrobe changes? real rock n roll dude.

Playing the same over & over is easy, and you obviously haven't seen them live these days, Lars was on fire @ Werchter. He's been standing up for years, I'm guessing he did that in the days when you found them to be "troo to reel methul, hair, drumz & tuningz" as well.

And who gives a rat's arse about James his "appearance"? Do you have a crush on him or what?

MetalIsArt
06-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Dey are totally DERP when dey won't listen to ya.

bobbie solo
06-24-2012, 11:50 AM
what? way to be coherent.

christopher
06-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I watched the stream of the show until halfway through Battery. It was weird seeing RTL played backwards, but it worked out really well starting the main part of the see off with Call of Ktulu. They all sounded pretty good except for Lars, but we all should expect that from him. I noticed at one point in the stream, they did a close up of his feet. His legs were moving up and down but he was clearly missing the kick pedals :lol: I think this was during Creeping Death. Then they finally played Escape!! I thought it was funny that James clearly hates that song and covered his ears when the crowd shouted Escape. It was interesting to see Lars getting the crowd to chant Frayed right before the started Escape.

El Gordo
06-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Playing the same over & over is easy, and you obviously haven't seen them live these days, Lars was on fire @ Werchter. He's been standing up for years, I'm guessing he did that in the days when you found them to be "troo to reel methul, hair, drumz & tuningz" as well.

And who gives a rat's arse about James his "appearance"? Do you have a crush on him or what?

Your blatant fanboy attitude disturbs me.

TonyD
06-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Playing the album backwards makes more sense for the set list but yeah, it kinda ruins the whole special feeling of them playing the album.

And I didn't notice the wardrobe change thing, but that's pretty funny. It's one thing to do it if you're trying to make it part of the show like you would see Bruce Dickinson do, but it's almost embarrassing to see Metallica doing it.

Not that it's worth anything, but it's kinda cool that a lot of people on here got to see the show and that we can nitpick and discuss things other than the set list :lol:

bobbie solo
06-24-2012, 04:34 PM
props to James for doing his best with Escape. His voice can NOT hit those notes anymore, but he sounded about as good as can be expected considering how old he is. That first verse is a bitch.

christopher
06-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Playing the album backwards makes more sense for the set list but yeah, it kinda ruins the whole special feeling of them playing the album.

And I didn't notice the wardrobe change thing, but that's pretty funny. It's one thing to do it if you're trying to make it part of the show like you would see Bruce Dickinson do, but it's almost embarrassing to see Metallica doing it.

Not that it's worth anything, but it's kinda cool that a lot of people on here got to see the show and that we can nitpick and discuss things other than the set list :lol:

When did the wardrobe change happen? That's fucking funny haha

bobbie solo
06-24-2012, 04:49 PM
i watched the whole stream. he changed outfits like 4 times. ridiculous. makes sense that anybody would switch shirts at some point, you get real sweaty up there. but this was clearly an orchestrated thing. lame.

NickLed19
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Whats the deal with him wearing vests now? lol

bobbie solo
06-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Whats the deal with him wearing vests now? lol

that's part of my point. somehow I doubt James Hetfield is stiching band patches on his vest at his age and level of fame.

NickLed19
06-24-2012, 07:20 PM
I am pretty sure he had a Metallica back patch, wtf?

ravenheart
06-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Personally, I can understand why James doesn't like 'Escape'.

TonyD
06-25-2012, 02:07 AM

He definitely did.

treghet
06-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Pretty cool set. Honestly, I'm not too big of a Metallica fan, but seeing this would be rad.

It's stupid that they played any songs from the Black album at all yesterday, because they're playing the entire thing tonight, they need to change it up a bit.

Yeah, and weren't the tickets sold as a two day pass only? So anybody who bought them is going to see the black album set anyway.

Seems that it's you that has the crush, not him.

Out of curiosity I did a Google search for "James Hetfield vest" and unless he has multiple vests, the backpatch is Motorhead. I noticed he has a Tank patch on the front! That's awesome.

ShatteredFlame
06-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Yeah, and weren't the tickets sold as a two day pass only? So anybody who bought them is going to see the black album set anyway.

in the beginning they weren't but they eventually started selling day passes as the event drew near.

makethemsuffer12
06-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Out of curiosity I did a Google search for "James Hetfield vest" and unless he has multiple vests, the backpatch is Motorhead. I noticed he has a Tank patch on the front! That's awesome.

I've seen him with a vest that has a Sabbath back path and another with a Venom one. So either he has multiple vests or has devised a back-path-switcharoo system. :lol:

Sepultura69
06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
I think it's pretty fucking stupid that they would play one of the most legendary thrash albums ever made backwards. Black album was cool to do backwards, but the black album is no where near as epic or as legendary as Metallicas 2nd release. I would hate to see Ride the lightning played in reverse if i was an attendee at this show. There's nothing unique or cool about playing it backwards. If you're going to play it, perform it in the same way like how the album was intended to be played....

:hmm:

leglessmoof
06-25-2012, 10:24 AM
I was there (in the snake pit!) and I thought it worked fine being played backwards. Ktulu is better suited for the beginning/middle of the set rather than the end. And they had some cool transitions worked out between some of the songs. Not to mention, ending with the 1-2-3 punch of Bells, Ride, and Fire was awesome.

(sic)&disturbed
06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I was there (in the snake pit!) and I thought it worked fine being played backwards. Ktulu is better suited for the beginning/middle of the set rather than the end. And they had some cool transitions worked out between some of the songs. Not to mention, ending with the 1-2-3 punch of Bells, Ride, and Fire was awesome.

Did you go both nights?

treghet
06-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't get the issue with it being played backwards. Yeah, it's unusual, but why does that ruin the experience? You're still hearing all of the songs. Be thankful they still care enough to do something like this. They could have ended up like so many other '80s bands, just playing the same songs at every show for the rest of their career.

toolfansat
06-25-2012, 10:34 AM
mmmaybe... they are correcting an error!
Could it be that due to an alcohol-induced haze, that RTL was actually released with the songs in the reverse order from what was originally planned, and now that they are clean and sober, they can finally play them as they intended?
Yeah! That's the ticket!

leglessmoof
06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Did you go both nights?

Yes, although I was only in the snake pit on the first night. I was in MetClub Ultra (front GA) the second night.

IrritatedTrout
06-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Sweet set but it's freakin stupid to play Black Album songs when they did the whole Black Album the next night.

hellawaits77ny
06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I think Callof Ktulu fit in well after the intro video.

Both shows were great. Will have some vids up soon.

converge241
06-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Fight FIre With FIre is so damn good live, remember seeing it on the tail end of the black album tour w Danzig and Suicidal