PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden -- Atlanta, GA -- June 23rd, 2012

Fates Guardian
06-23-2012, 11:56 PM
The setlists for both bands were the same as opening night in Charlotte. But since this was my first time seeing either band, I'd like to make this thread. Alice Cooper sounded fantastic, especially considering his age. Unfortunately, I missed the beginning of his set because I was in line for a shirt. (By the way, please correct me if I'm wrong about the first couple of songs of his setlist.) I'm not too familiar with his music, but I think I'll have to remedy that now. Really glad I got to see him.

Iron Maiden were... phenomenal. Every bit as great as I hoped they'd be. I've been waiting for years to see them, and I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get to. The last time they were in Atlanta was in 1997 with Blaze Bayley (I believe). When I heard they were finally returning, and focusing on songs from my favorite album of theirs, there was no way I could miss it. Everyone was in top form and put in an energetic performance. Bruce undersang sometimes, but I can't fault him for it, seeing as he's 53 years old, and was running around the stage like a madman the whole time. Eddie came out during 'Run to the Hills' wielding a giant sabre. Janick threw his guitar and twirled it around like a true showman. Adrian and Dave were as cool as ever, nailing every solo. Steve was the commanding presence he always is, and it was a treat to finally see the 'machine-gun bass' in person. And lastly, Nicko was precise and powerful on the drums, kicking ass and never missing a beat. I could hardly be happier with my first Iron Maiden live experience, although I did miss 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' and maybe 'Wrathchild' or something from 'Killers'. Oh well, small fries. Maybe it won't be so long until they return to Atlanta (or wherever I happen to be), and I'll be sure to be there. Now for the setlists:

ALICE COOPER

1. The Black Widow
2. Brutal Planet
3. I'm Eighteen
4. No More Mr. Nice Guy
5. Hey Stoopid
6. Billion Dollar Babies
7. Feed My Frankenstein
8. Poison
9. Wicked Young Man
---I Love the Dead excerpt
10. School's Out

IRON MAIDEN

1. Moonchild
2. Can I Play with Madness
3. The Prisoner
4. 2 Minutes to Midnight
5. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
6. The Trooper
7. The Number of the Beast
8. Phantom of the Opera
9. Run to the Hills
10. Wasted Years
11. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden

Encore:

15. Aces High
16. The Evil That Men Do
17. Running Free

DisposableJustice
06-24-2012, 12:04 AM
The setlists for both bands were the same as opening night in Charlotte. But since this was my first time seeing either band, I'd like to make this thread. Alice Cooper sounded fantastic, especially considering his age. Unfortunately, I missed the beginning of his set because I was in line for a shirt. (By the way, please correct me if I'm wrong about the first couple of songs of his setlist.) I'm not too familiar with his music, but I think I'll have to remedy that now. Really glad I got to see him.

Iron Maiden were... phenomenal. Every bit as great as I hoped they'd be. I've been waiting for years to see them, and I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get to. The last time they were in Atlanta was in 1997 with Blaze Bayley (I believe). When I heard they were finally returning, and focusing on songs from my favorite album of theirs, there was no way I could miss it. Everyone was in top form and put in an energetic performance. Bruce undersang sometimes, but I can't fault him for it, seeing as he's 53 years old, and was running around the stage like a madman the whole time. Eddie came out during 'Run to the Hills' wielding a giant sabre. Janick threw his guitar and twirled it around like a true showman. Adrian and Dave were as cool as ever, nailing every solo. Steve was the commanding presence he always is, and it was a treat to finally see the 'machine-gun bass' in person. And lastly, Nicko was precise and powerful on the drums, kicking ass and never missing a beat. I could hardly be happier with my first Iron Maiden live experience, although I did miss 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' and maybe 'Wrathchild' or something from 'Killers'. Oh well, small fries. Maybe it won't be so long until they return to Atlanta (or wherever I happen to be), and I'll be sure to be there. Now for the setlists:

ALICE COOPER

1. The Black Widow
2. Brutal Planet
3. I'm Eighteen
4. No More Mr. Nice Guy
5. Hey Stoopid
6. I'll Bite Your Face Off
7. Feed My Frankenstein
8. Poison
9. Wicked Young Man
---I Love the Dead excerpt
10. School's Out

IRON MAIDEN

1. Moonchild
2. Can I Play with Madness
3. The Prisoner
4. 2 Minutes to Midnight
5. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
6. The Trooper
7. The Number of the Beast
8. Phantom of the Opera
9. Run to the Hills
10. Wasted Years
11. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden

Encore:

15. Aces High
16. The Evil That Men Do
17. Running Free

Great review, I am glad they are touring places in the US that they haven't done in a long time and I am sure the response will have them coming back to Atlanta and others again and again

I cannot wait for August 13th this setlist is pretty much tits (If I was to change it, I would switch out Running Free for Hallowed, and Wasted Years for Stranger in a Stranger land; yes Stranger wasn't played in 1988 but fuck it) I've seen them twice and they put on a great show, even at their ages

Oh, I guess I am a little sad that Still Life didn't make it;:flame:

Fates Guardian
06-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the compliment! This is the first time I've ever posted a setlist here, so I was a tad reluctant. You're gonna have a blast at this show. I'm with you on 'Stranger in a Strange Land'; I'd love to see them play that. 'Caught Somewhere in Time' is my number 1 'man I wish they'd play this song' song, but they only played it in '86/'87 during Somewhere on Tour. A man can dream though... a man can dream.

DisposableJustice
06-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the compliment! This is the first time I've ever posted a setlist here, so I was a tad reluctant. You're gonna have a blast at this show. I'm with you on 'Stranger in a Strange Land'; I'd love to see them play that. 'Caught Somewhere in Time' is my number 1 'man I wish they'd play this song' song, but they only played it in '86/'87 during Somewhere on Tour. A man can dream though... a man can dream.

Ah yes Caught Somewhere in Time, another one I'd like to hear to; in fact I would have no problem with them playing the entire album: time, wasted, Sea of Madness, Stranger, Runner, Alexander:drool:

zekeyou
06-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Actually, Cooper changed his set last night, axing I'll Bite Your Face Off and playing Billion Dollar Babies in its place.

Maidenmagic
06-24-2012, 05:19 AM
Surprised that Maiden didn't make any adjustments to the set.

Sanitarium78
06-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Surprised that Maiden didn't make any adjustments to the set.

I think on the 2010 tour they made some changes after the first three or four shows. So over the next week we will find out if any changes are being made. The setlist is really good and they can keep it the way it is. Anyone who complains about this setlist is just being an ass.

Butcher of Birth
06-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Was at the show aswell! Interviewed twice by IMTV, so that was fun. I'll link to photos and a video when I get back home in Florida.

PlaysWithKnives
06-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Great review, dude. Theres nothing like a Maiden show. There are some songs id like to hear them play too, but this set is gold, so no complaints here. Cooper opening is just a bonus. He is one of the very few that can come close to Maiden live. Cant wait to see them in a couple weeks.

PlaysWithKnives
06-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Ah yes Caught Somewhere in Time, another one I'd like to hear to; in fact I would have no problem with them playing the entire album: time, wasted, Sea of Madness, Stranger, Runner, Alexander:drool:

I would lose my mind if they played the entire album. My favorite Maiden album. These songs have been very underplayed over the years.

bigguytoo9
06-24-2012, 07:55 AM
It's a wonderful setlist from Maiden for sure. I DONT miss Wrathchild in the set at all, since ive seen it 3 times live. The first three songs on this are an explosive way to open the show. :D

snowdog2112
06-24-2012, 08:18 AM
How long are the sets for both?

Zla Vydra
06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
How long are the sets for both?

Maiden played for 1 hour 45 minutes. I didn't keep track for Alice, but I would guess around an hour. Maiden went on at exactly 9:00.

This was my first time seeing Maiden since the Somewhere in Time tour (so, yeah, I've actually heard "Caught Somewhere in Time" live - 25 years ago). Bruce was wrong when he said it was their biggest crowd in Atlanta. I'm pretty sure we packed the Omni back in the mid-80s, but I don't blame him for not remembering.

Highlight for me was "Aces High." Lowlight was Bruce not shutting the fuck up during the leads in "Phantom of the Opera."

snowdog2112
06-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Maiden played for 1 hour 45 minutes. I didn't keep track for Alice, but I would guess around an hour. Maiden went on at exactly 9:00.

This was my first time seeing Maiden since the Somewhere in Time tour (so, yeah, I've actually heard "Caught Somewhere in Time" live - 25 years ago). Bruce was wrong when he said it was their biggest crowd in Atlanta. I'm pretty sure we packed the Omni back in the mid-80s, but I don't blame him for not remembering.

Highlight for me was "Aces High." Lowlight was Bruce not shutting the fuck up during the leads in "Phantom of the Opera."

I saw the CSIT Tour in the 80s They opened with CSIT I remember Bruce wearing the jacket that would light up and Dave had these big ass red spaceboots on:D

NickLed19
06-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Cooper played 45 min
Maiden like 1 hr 45 or 50

Show was amazing, maybe the best show I have ever seen. Wasted Years, Phantom, and Evil That Men Do were highlights for me.

Christen
06-24-2012, 10:44 AM
I think on the 2010 tour they made some changes after the first three or four shows. So over the next week we will find out if any changes are being made. The setlist is really good and they can keep it the way it is. Anyone who complains about this setlist is just being an ass.

Agreed. I could see passing on it if you've heard the songs live 5 or 6 times but since my first Maiden show was back in 2010 I'm pretty stoked about this set.

Travis The Dragon
06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
I really hope they keep in ATSS. And I never dreamed in a million years that they'd do Aces again! That's my most favorite vocal performance ever! OMG! WOW! July 21 can't get here fast enough!

toolfansat
06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
I can't wait for this show on Tuesday! I've seen a million concerts, but this is my first Maiden show!

BTW - who gripes about setlists more? Maiden fans or Metallica fans? :D

InFlamesOfBirchmen
06-24-2012, 12:21 PM
I wanted to write a review last night, but I was too damn tired. I feel like this was an excellent first Maiden show experience. I don't have anything to compare it to, but there's no beating Seventh Son. The highlight of the night for me was either the 1-2 punch of The Trooper/Number of the Beast, or Aces High. Since Aces was my first Maiden song, it made it all the more amazing.

Zla Vydra
06-24-2012, 01:36 PM
I really hope they keep in ATSS. And I never dreamed in a million years that they'd do Aces again! That's my most favorite vocal performance ever! OMG! WOW! July 21 can't get here fast enough!

Forgot to mention that there was a very impressive exodus to the men's room during "Afraid to Shoot Strangers." I got back to my seat just in time for the opening riff to "The Trooper."

Fates Guardian
06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
I've corrected the Alice Cooper set. Thanks!

Man, what a night. Now that I've slept and can look back on it, I still can't believe I really just saw Maiden. I'm thinking about flying out to New Mexico or Arizona in August to see them with my best friend, the one who got me into Maiden in the first place. By then, I expect they'll have changed up their set a bit, but even if they don't, it'll still be awesome. I've been wanting to make my way back to that part of the country for years now anyway. =]

Thanks again for the encouraging replies. Now I won't be so reluctant to post setlists in the future. Up the irons! \m/

NickLed19
06-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Forgot to mention that there was a very impressive exodus to the men's room during "Afraid to Shoot Strangers." I got back to my seat just in time for the opening riff to "The Trooper."

I noticed that and laughed.

TonyD
06-24-2012, 03:28 PM
So lame that we're not getting Alice out west...
http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/slowpoke.jpg

marker
06-24-2012, 05:38 PM
So lame that we're not getting Alice out west...
http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/slowpoke.jpg

Agreed. He's doing some headlining shows in November, so that will make up for it. He will be in L.a. 11/29 and I think your area two days before.

PVH5150
06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
BTW - who gripes about setlists more? Maiden fans or Metallica fans? :D

VH has both of them beat. I (& everyone else I know) could care less if we ever heard Pretty Woman, Jump or You Really Got Me live ever again.

NickLed19
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
VH has both of them beat. I (& everyone else I know) could care less if we ever heard Pretty Woman, Jump or You Really Got Me live ever again.

Agreed.

PowerMaiden
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Pretty much the general consensus is that it's a great set but the omititon of Infinite Dreams is unacceptable.

Put Infinite Dreams somewhere in that set and we have a hell of a party

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

NickLed19
06-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Take away Run to the Hills.

Sanitarium78
06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
I was reading through the thread for this show on the Iron Maiden forum and somebody posted that they ran into Rod Smallwood at a bar after the show and talked to him about the setlist.

Here are some of the things Rod said:

1. Infinite Dreams was rehearsed and originally in the setlist but for reasons he didn't say, the band decided to go with ATSS instead:confused:

2. Hallowed Be Thy Name will not be back this tour. The band just decided to drop it for once.

3. Caught Somewhere In Time will never be played again because the band thought it sounded like shit live.

I'm not sure if this means Infinite Dreams won't be brought in at some point but if it isn't a "for sure" song on this tour then the likelyhood of them playing it again is not very good. Maybe if ATSS doesn't go over too well after a few shows they'll put Infinite Dreams in it's place.

toolfansat
06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks to whoever mentioned getting a tour shirt at Hot Topic!
Got mine today for $20.50!!! Sure as hell beats $45 at the venue!!

treghet
06-25-2012, 10:18 AM
I was reading through the thread for this show on the Iron Maiden forum and somebody posted that they ran into Rod Smallwood at a bar after the show and talked to him about the setlist.

Here are some of the things Rod said:

1. Infinite Dreams was rehearsed and originally in the setlist but for reasons he didn't say, the band decided to go with ATSS instead:confused:

2. Hallowed Be Thy Name will not be back this tour. The band just decided to drop it for once.

3. Caught Somewhere In Time will never be played again because the band thought it sounded like shit live.

I'm not sure if this means Infinite Dreams won't be brought in at some point but if it isn't a "for sure" song on this tour then the likelyhood of them playing it again is not very good. Maybe if ATSS doesn't go over too well after a few shows they'll put Infinite Dreams in it's place.

Well hopefully Infinite Dreams pops up soon then. Lame that they will never play Caught Somewhere in Time though. :(

SomewhereInTime72
06-25-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2010/03/05/suicide_hanging_by_captainbonedaddy_g1aBf_5453.jpg

NickLed19
06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
CSIT and Flight of Icarus are 2 of the best Maiden songs and they never wanna play them. Shit

IrritatedTrout
06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Great show, 2nd row in the pit on Steve's side. I loved the dick balloon Bruce found.:lol:

Would still swap 2 Minutes for Infinite and Fear for Die With Your Boots on but I'm loving every second of these shows. After two nights I gotta say that The Prisoner has got to be the highlight of the set. I've been really freakin digging the one-two punch of Moonchild and Madness.

Fates Guardian
06-25-2012, 05:07 PM
I disagree with them about 'Caught Somewhere in Time' sounding bad live. I've seen a video of them performing it back in 1986, and besides Bruce being rather off in places, the song sounded excellent. It's their song and they can choose not to play it, of course, but I think their reasoning is wrong. Oh well.

marker
06-25-2012, 06:09 PM
I disagree with them about 'Caught Somewhere in Time' sounding bad live. I've seen a video of them performing it back in 1986, and besides Bruce being rather off in places, the song sounded excellent. It's their song and they can choose not to play it, of course, but I think their reasoning is wrong. Oh well.

But watching some video doesn't always tell the whole story. And Bruce isn't the same singer he was in 86', although he is still really good. Might be why Where Eagles dare hasn't been in the set for so many years. That has to be a bitch to pull off live.

Onioner
06-25-2012, 06:30 PM
It's probably not so much the notes as it is the amount of sustain and pitch changing Bruce uses in the chorus that causes him to mess it up live. If I could enjoy Rob Halford singing Painkiller from 2004-2009 though, I sure as hell could enjoy Bruce doing Caught Somewhere in Time today.

Sanitarium78
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2010/03/05/suicide_hanging_by_captainbonedaddy_g1aBf_5453.jpg

Let's not overreact now:lol:

CSIT and Flight of Icarus are 2 of the best Maiden songs and they never wanna play them. Shit

This surely can't come as a surprise to you or anybody? If they were gonna play these songs anymore they would've done it by now. It's been known for many years that Steve doesn't like Icarus so there's no chance of that getting played again. If the band as a whole thinks CSIT sounds bad live then there's really nothing we can do about that. No band will play a song, no matter how good it is, if they think it doesn't work live. They played it back in '86 probably because they had to and that's it.

Fates Guardian
06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
But watching some video doesn't always tell the whole story. And Bruce isn't the same singer he was in 86', although he is still really good. Might be why Where Eagles dare hasn't been in the set for so many years. That has to be a bitch to pull off live.

That's what I meant though. I don't expect Bruce to nail it. The song is great enough in itself that it would still be amazing to hear live. I mean, listen to that buildup, that solo section, the transition back into the main melody - all amazing, and Bruce doesn't even have to open his mouth. I am a hopeless 'Caught Somewhere in Time' fanboy though (it's by far my favorite Maiden song), so maybe no one should listen to me. Except the band. Play it, you bastards! =D

converge241
06-26-2012, 03:21 AM
cant wait til tonight...cant concentrate @ work..

brutal_descent
06-26-2012, 03:49 AM
Anyone who complains about this setlist is just being an ass.

Yes, obviously. It can't be because Maiden aren't playing that person's favorite songs... it's just that they're an ass :tp:

Sanitarium78
06-26-2012, 04:49 AM
Yes, obviously. It can't be because Maiden aren't playing that person's favorite songs... it's just that they're an ass :tp:

I never sad anyone who's complaining is "an ass". I said they're just "being an ass";)

You know what though, Maiden isn't playing a lot of my personal favorites on this tour either, so what? I just accept it and move on. That's a strange concept I know, but it's really that simple. If the band doesn't wanna play certian songs anymore than there's nothing that can be done about that. I love Infinite Dreams and was disappointed it wasn't in the set, but if the band doesn't wanna do it then what's the point of bitching about it? It won't change their minds all of a sudden.

On the 2010 tour they completely ignored my favorite era of the band by not doing anything off POM-7th Son. Sure, a lot of fans including myself were upset with that. But what can you do about it? I just accepted it and moved on, went to the show and loved it. People just need to not take it as a personal shot at them when Maiden doesn't play this or that. When a band has as many great songs as they do, it's impossible to please everybody. Just be happy that they're playing a kick ass set this tour and enjoy the show:rocker:

VelvetHarry
06-26-2012, 06:17 AM
I really like this Maiden set.. Seventh Son is one of my fav's :rocker:

It'd be fun to see Alice Cooper too I've never had a chance to do so yet.. maybe I think this is coming to town Friday I should think about going

PlaysWithKnives
06-26-2012, 08:42 AM
That's what I meant though. I don't expect Bruce to nail it. The song is great enough in itself that it would still be amazing to hear live. I mean, listen to that buildup, that solo section, the transition back into the main melody - all amazing, and Bruce doesn't even have to open his mouth. I am a hopeless 'Caught Somewhere in Time' fanboy though (it's by far my favorite Maiden song), so maybe no one should listen to me. Except the band. Play it, you bastards! =D

Exactly why it's my favorite Maiden song too. Id love nothing more than for them to play it. We can still dream.

JRA
06-26-2012, 09:06 AM

:eek: :( :( :( :( :( :( :bouville::bouville::bouville::bouville::bouville: :bouville:

marker
06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
It's probably not so much the notes as it is the amount of sustain and pitch changing Bruce uses in the chorus that causes him to mess it up live. If I could enjoy Rob Halford singing Painkiller from 2004-2009 though, I sure as hell could enjoy Bruce doing Caught Somewhere in Time today.

I was talking more about Eagles, than CSIT.
Eagles would be a lot harder in my opinion, has to be one of the hardest Maiden tunes to sing live. And like you said the chorus for CSIT wouldn't be easy, but I think he could do that one.

gangrene
06-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks to whoever mentioned getting a tour shirt at Hot Topic!
Got mine today for $20.50!!! Sure as hell beats $45 at the venue!!

THANKS! :bliss:
Large has sold out, just since last night when I ordered mine!?

PowerMaiden
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Well, not that it's that big of a deal there (well to me it is) but it's not a real tour shirt if you ask me. I mean the back is not the same at all and the front is not exactly the same as the drawing is in a circle kind of.

Anyway, I know most of you guys are broken students so I guess this is better than nothing

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2r3gv2o.jpg
http://img.hottopic.com/is/image/HotTopic/916987_hi?$thumbnail_big$http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product_zoom_display4.jsp

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

hiddenzombie013
06-26-2012, 10:53 PM
I made it to this show, and sweet baby Jesus was it incredible. Easily my favorite show of the year (although Rammstein is still a pretty close second place).

The story of how I made it is ridiculous though. Originally, I had plans to see the opening night of this tour in Charlotte. I had tickets and everything, and planning on catching it on the way to Atlantic City for Orion. However, I had just recently taken off for a week at my new job for Bonnaroo (best week of my life btw), and just couldn't risk losing my job for missing too many days for this too. So I had to sell the tickets and I was saddened I couldn't see Maiden (or Metallica too, for that matter), since even if I missed Orion, I couldn't justify calling off and driving up to Charlotte just for Maiden.

I could justify driving to Atlanta though, despite it not looking possible. Once I sold the tickets, I figured all hope was lost. Seeing the setlist online, I was heartbroken, knowing I was going to miss this amazing, once-in-a-lifetime set. See, SSOASS is my second favorite Maiden song, after Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and POTA is my third. On top of that, SSOASS is also my favorite album, and they were playing tons of awesome other songs I hadn't seen them do before (they only played six of the songs on this set that they also played in Tampa in 2011). Now it was the day of the show, and I was going to work in the morning. Normally we stay open until around 3PM on Saturdays, but we actually finished at 1:45 this time. When I realized that I could actually make it to the show if I made it there in around six hours, I waited not a second more make my decision. I stopped home, grabbed a change a clothes (including my Maiden shirt I bought at the Tampa show :rocker:), and was on the road by 2:30.

What I didn't realize is that to make it in six hours, you have to speed almost the entire way. I knew what I had to do, so I sped most of the way, trying to look out to cops so I don't get a hefty tickets. Many obstacles got in my way, such as stopping for gas twice, two semi trucks crashed together on the interstate, and speed detection devices used on many of Georgia's freeways. I finally, to much avail, made it to Atlanta, and was parked at Aaron's Ampitheatre at 8:53. I ran to the box office (because it was going to take too fucking long to walk), and was pleased to not hear Maiden playing yet. Lawn was the best option available, so I took what I could. After all, any Maiden is better than no Maiden.

Side tidbit: Not only is Aaron's a Live Nation owned venue, but so is the 1-800-Ask-Gary Ampitheatre in Tampa, where I've attended a large number of shows over the last few years. Every time I've gotten pit tickets there, I started to notice that every time, they would give you the same red wristband to get in. After whatever my last show there was, I decided to keep my wristband because you never know. I brought the same wristband with me to this show too, on the off chance that they use the same wristbands. I also brought various wristbands from other shows too just in case. As I started to look around the food court area for anybody with a wristband, I started to hear the crowd cheering and the spoken word intro to Moonchild come on. I took the chance and just used the red one I mentioned, and I got in the fucking pit! :rocker: And I shit you not, less than ten seconds after getting in the pit, the band exploded onstage.

And oh man was it glorious. I've been to many, many shows, and this was the first time I ever teared up at a show. It was half in amazement that I was at a Maiden show, but half that I MADE A SIX AND A HALF HOUR DRIVE, AND MADE IT IN THE PIT WITH LESS THAN TEN SECONDS TO SPARE. It was unreal.

And the setlist is phenomenal. I would have changed some things myself, as many would. Infinite Dreams really was the only big omission, and should have been there instead of ATSS. I would have also liked to see Wrathchild in there, maybe in place of 2MTM, since Killers needed some representation. I also could do without Fear of the Dark (took a break for water here) or the song Iron Maiden (although the Eddie statue thing was fucking awesome and totally justified them playing that song). But when they played SSOASS, actually shed a tear or two, which has also never happened to me before. It was one of the best things I've ever seen, as that song was clearly the centerpiece of the show. Bonus points to the beast during TNOTB, and super bonus points to Eddie during RTTH.

During the whole show, I was tired, exhausted, hungry, dehydrated, and sweaty, but none of that mattered, because it was all worth it. I got a tour shirt while I was there (the one above, actually), which is very cool. Also, at the very end of the show, as the band said goodbye and threw out their picks, sticks, and I wristbands, I also happened to be lucky enough to catch one of Nicko's wristbands! It was incredibly awesome. I also tried to get the setlist itself after the show, but the crew wouldn't give it to anyone.

If you have the chance to see them this tour, DO IT! Especially if you live close, you must go to this. Make sure you see Alice too. I missed him obviously, but I also have seen him twice before (once in December, and again for a bit at Bonnaroo), so if you haven't seen him, don't miss that. I'm so glad I was able to see this, and it will be hard for another show to top it this year,

Fates Guardian
06-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Killer story man! I'm glad things fell into place for you. It was obviously your destiny to see Iron Maiden on that night, just as it was mine. (I almost couldn't go to the show either because my chain of command suddenly started being buttholes about me taking Saturday night off, despite it having been approved long ago. But I won that battle. The Battle for Iron Maiden.)

NickLed19
06-27-2012, 01:40 AM
What a great story.

rjturtle9
06-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Dude, that story was epic! I need a badass adventure like that.

IrritatedTrout
06-27-2012, 10:19 AM
That's fucking awesome. I'm impressed you'd remember to bring an old wristband.:horns:

Fates Guardian
06-27-2012, 02:40 PM
By the way, IrritatedTrout, you have the most hilarious name I've seen in a long time on the internet. u_sir_r_a_faggot makes me laugh too, but IrritatedTrout... hahahahaha. Well done, good sir.

IrritatedTrout
06-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Haha thank you. I actually had someone from the Iron Maiden forum say the same thing in Charlotte. I'm glad everyone likes it. lol