PDA

View Full Version : Death To All -- San Francisco, CA -- June 22nd, 2012

slapguitarer
06-23-2012, 01:03 AM
After the tradition of having dinner at Mel's, I, along with my dad and friend Alex, hopped on over to the regency for a celebration of one of the best musicians to have ever roamed this earth, Chuck Schuldiner. We arrived after doors had opened, but there weren't too many people, so we were able to snag some rail to the left of the stage. After talking it up with some fellow concert attendees, Gorguts started at about 9.

As I've already mentioned on here, I really wasn't that big on Gorguts walking into the venue. In my opinion, their first couple albums are good, but nothing grand, and I can't for the life of me get into their aclaimed album, Obscura. But when they started, I couldn't resist bobbing my head and getting into it. They sounded pretty great. Their heavy and frantic sound was pulverizing and I couldn't help but bang my head. It could've been because the bass was high in the mix or because I was in front of the bassist, but I could hear the bass loud and clear and the tone was delicious. All the musicians were really impressive, and Luc's vocals were top notch. After seeing Gorguts tear the place apart, I may have to revisit theirs studio works

Gorguts
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z394/slapguitarer/Gorgutssetlist.jpg

After more waiting, the lights dimmed and the old school Death logo came from the projector and everybody showed their excitement vocally. The first batch of musicians came on and once they played the first few notes of Zombie Ritual, the place blew up. Hearing Leprosy was also a treat, as I got to show of my disco moves during the shuffle beat in the song. Eveybody on the stage played with full enthusiasm and were obviously having great fun. They obviously really cared about making this a great ode to Death and put in their all. When they weren't giving the metal face, a smile was present on every single musician's face. As mentioned, the first four musicians on stage were Charles Elliott, Steve DiGiorgio and the dudes from Cynic. I think Paul was probably my favorite musician the whole night to watch because he was just full of energy and was happy as could be to be playing these songs. He was running all over the stage, getting close to the crowd and shredding his way through the songs with a smile on his face the whole time. Everybody sounded great and did all the song justice. When Gene Hoglan hopped on drums for Suicide Machine, the crowd went wild. There was lots of love for Gene, and for a good reasonl; he's fucking incredible. I saw him in 2009 with Dethklok and was really impressed, but this performance blew that out of the water. He played like champ! Charles Elliott was also really good. Sure, his vocals are really guttural and aren't all that similar to Chuck's, but he was giving the songs a little of his own personality and he sounded awesome while doing it. Also, he's a kickass guitar player. A nice treat was Danny Walker playing drums on Secret Face along with Shannon joining the band. Wattching Steve was exciting, because he's one of my favorite bass player. The way he works that fretless beast is nothing short of magical. He sounded awesome the whole time he was up on stage, and his solo during the Philospher was one of the highlights of the night for me. And it was during that song that they switched vocalists. Although I was bummed that the guy from Obscura couldn't make it, Matt Harvey was an excellent replacement. He's an awesome guitar player and his vocals are great. When Scott joined in on bass for the second time, I knew they'd start playing material off the last two albums, and starting that portion of the show with Bite the Pain was great! That's one of my favorites songs of TSOP. The rest of that part of the set was fucking magnificent for obvious reasons(Symbolic and The Sound of Perserverance kick dicks!). Busting out Voice of Soul was really cool, not only because the song is beautiful but it was a much needed break from the insanity of the crowd during the set prior to that. There was a constant crowd push and and crowd surfers were abundant. They brought Charles and Steve back out and Craig from Forbidden joined them to play Living Monstrosity, which was sweet! That's one of the best songs from the Death discography. Then everybody got back on stage to play one last song. Although I was hoping it'd be Spirit Crusher, Pull the Plug was nice. It was cool they ended the set with one of the songs from the earlier portion of Death's discography. Overall, the set was probably one of the coolest things I've seen live and a great experience. Seeing some of my favorites musicians among other awesome ones playing some of my favorite music was an absolute pleasure. I'm so glad I got to experience this because I'm not too sure it'll happen that often after these five scheduled dates.

Only complaints about the show are (concerning band) lack of Spirit Crusher), and the Regency once again having stage left too low in the mix. I often couldn't hear solos too well unless the solos were really high up on the mix. Also, bass could've been higher in the mix. The more Steve I hear the better.

Death
Zombie ritual
Leprosy
Within the mind
Torn to pieces
Left to die
Suicide machine
Lack of comprehension
Flattening of emotions
Secret face
The philosopher
Trapped in a corner
overactive imagination
Bite the pain
Zero tolerance
1000 eyes
Crystal mountain
Flesh an the power it holds
Symbolic
A moment of clarity
-------------------
Voice of soul
Living monstrosity
Pull the plug

Source is me and pic of first 9 songs.

After that I got a Death To All poster and Sean Reinert came out to sign shit so I got my poster signed by him :D.

Gorguts: 8.5/10
Death To All: 10/10

Sepultura69
06-23-2012, 01:05 AM
fuck me i wish was going to this tomorrow(as well as the Free Scion show which is a couple of hours before this show). :flame: :flame: :flame: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville:

How was Gorguts????? :rocker: :rocker:

slapguitarer
06-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Gorguts surprised me. I wasn't really that into them going in but they impressed me. I'd definitely catch them again, which might be a while. They said it was their first show in Cali in like ten years!

Sepultura69
06-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Gorguts surprised me. I wasn't really that into them going in but they impressed me. I'd definitely catch them again, which might be a while. They said it was their first show in Cali in like ten years!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhck....

Now i'm really pissed if I miss this show tomorrow. :flame: :flame: :flame: :( :( :( :(

Onioner
06-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Fucking phenomenal show. 2 hours and 15 minutes of nothing but Death! Where were you at slap? Either I didn't see you or I forgot what you look like haha.

Oh and I briefly talked to Zetro after the show, just mainly talked Hatriot stuff. Also ran into Chris Kontos at Tommy's Joynt afterwards, amazingly nice guy! Gotta love living in the bay.

slapguitarer
06-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Oh shit I didn't even realize you were back in town. I was in left rail. I saw Tony. He was right behind me by the end of the show.

treghet
06-23-2012, 01:24 AM
LEPROSY, LEFT TO DIE, LIVING MONSTROSITY, AND TORN TO PIECES. :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker: I am shitting my pants. I hope they play the same set in Hollywood.

treghet
06-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhck....

Now i'm really pissed if I miss this show tomorrow. :flame: :flame: :flame: :( :( :( :(

It's sold out.

christopher
06-23-2012, 01:49 AM
meh no Scream Bloody Gore. That's my favorite song by them...

Sepultura69
06-23-2012, 01:54 AM
It's sold out.

I hate myself.

treghet
06-23-2012, 01:56 AM

But look at all the other awesomeness! I'm surprised at how evenly balanced the set is. I was expecting it to be mainly focused Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance.

christopher
06-23-2012, 01:59 AM
But look at all the other awesomeness! I'm surprised at how evenly balanced the set is. I was expecting it to be mainly focused Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance.

I'm not a big Death fan, never been. I only recognize a few songs there. Its not a big deal for me to pass on this so I'll just hit up the free show tomorrow and call it a day haha

slapguitarer
06-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Other things with mentioning before I go to bed.

Sean Reinert injured himself during the show somehow so Danny Walker of Intronaut/Exhumed filled in for a song and will probably do more during the rest of the tour. Dude from Obscura couldn't get into the US or some shot so Matt Harvey of Exhumed took his place. Don't know if they're on the whole tour, but they both played excellently for being sorta last minute.

kalfitegrdan
06-23-2012, 02:11 AM

This. :(

treghet
06-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Other things with mentioning before I go to bed.

Sean Reinert injured himself during the show somehow so Danny Walker of Intronaut/Exhumed filled in for a song and will probably do more during the rest of the tour. Dude from Obscura couldn't get into the US or some shot so Matt Harvey of Exhumed took his place. Don't know if they're on the whole tour, but they both played excellently for being sorta last minute.

Sean Reinert injured his achilles tendon a few weeks ago, but decided he still wanted to do the tour. So I imagine he just made his injury worse by pushing himself too hard. That really sucks that Steffen couldn't make it, but Matt Harvey is great vocalist.

elturtleboy
06-23-2012, 02:35 AM
Holy crap that set is a great mixture of all.
And Matt Harvey is singing!? Damn it... oh well.

Onioner
06-23-2012, 02:42 AM
Oh shit I didn't even realize you were back in town. I was in left rail. I saw Tony. He was right behind me by the end of the show.

My bad, I never mentioned it here, but yup I'm back until Septemberish. I started out in the middle of the floor, but my stomach started acting up so I retreated to a seat on the balcony for most of the set. After seeing so many half and third capacity shows at the Regency, it really made me happy to see such a packed house for this show. Hopefully I'll see you at Tidal Wave (if it actually happens:eyes:)!

TonyD
06-23-2012, 02:43 AM
Here's what I've got on the lineups, I can't remember when they changed singers or who the hell that guy was.

Death
Charles Elliott on guitar and vocals
Paul Masvidal on guitar
Steve DiGiorgio on bass
Sean Reinert on drums

Zombie Ritual
Leprosy
Within the Mind
Torn To Pieces (Scott Clendenin on bass)
Left To Die
Suicide Machine (Gene Hoglan on drums)
Lack of Comprehension (Steve on bass)
Flattening of Emotions
Secret Face (Shannon Hamm on guitar, Danny Walker on drums)
The Philosopher (Gene back on drums, I believe)
Trapped In A Corner
Overactive Imagination (Bobby Koelble on guitar, singer off guitar)
Bite the Pain (Scott on bass)
Zero Tolerance
1000 Eyes
Crystal Mountain
Flesh and the Power It Holds
Symbolic
A Moment Of Clarity
-------------------
Voice Of the Soul (Shannon, Bobby, Scott on acoustic guitar)
Living Monstrosity (with Craig from Forbidden, Charles Elliot)
Pull the Plug (with everyone)

Onioner
06-23-2012, 03:07 AM
Dude the other singer was Matt Harvey from Exhumed! I thought Matt did an amazing job doing Chuck's high pitched vocals, and his solos with Shannon and Bobby were beyond awesome especially if he was a last minute replacement. My gut is telling me he came in on The Philosopher, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I know he was definitely there for Overactive Imagination. I know for sure that he ended up singing all the songs that were on Individual Thought Patterns and after. If you don't know Exhumed, check out their newest album, All Guts No Glory. Their studio stuff is good, but they seriously destroy live.

NecroRob
06-23-2012, 03:34 AM
BITE THE PAIN!

I'm so fucking jealous of all the people that get to see one of these shows.

dimmudan
06-23-2012, 05:05 AM
I can't wait to see your Gorguts setlist. Thanks for posting Death. Going on Tuesday in Chicagoa and it looks amazing!!:party:

redven
06-23-2012, 05:05 AM
The show was beyond amazing. I was in the middle holding on to the rail. It was pretty sweet.

I was beyond impressed with the setlist. For some reason I thought they would play the same set from the Live in LA show, but man was I wrong.

It shows that they put a lot of thought and effort for tue show and one of my main concerns going into this show was how much energy would the band members have? But I'll say this, they were all into it and full of energy. It seemed like they were genuinely doing this for Chuck which is awesome.

Hope everyone else that's going enjoys it as much as I did. It's worth seeing.

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 08:45 AM
So only half of the musicians are even playing? Or does that mean the last show(Orlando) would probably be Gene Hoglan, Scott Clendenin, Bobby Koelble, Shannon Hamm?

slapguitarer
06-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Every musician played. If you read the song titles, you'll see when some musicians switch out and stuff. Everybody advertised to play on Death To All, minus the dude from Obscura, played.

Also, Gorguts setlist should be up in a matter of seconds

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Oh ok. My only SLIGHT complaint is the lack of Spirit Crusher, but those last 3 songs make up for it and then some.

slapguitarer
06-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Oh ok. My only SLIGHT complaint is the lack of Spirit Crusher, but those last 3 songs make up for it and then some.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. Only remotely negative thing I could say about the experience.

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Oh how i can't wait :D

I have like 4 shows in the next week, pretty pumped. :party:

anomynous
06-23-2012, 09:36 AM
So Stephen Krummer couldn't get into the US? I assume he's out for the whole tour then.

Why do metal musicians never seems to have their visas worked out when playing in foreign countries?

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 10:11 AM
So Stephen Krummer couldn't get into the US? I assume he's out for the whole tour then.

Why do metal musicians never seems to have their visas worked out when playing in foreign countries?

That sucks, I'd much rather see him than Charles Elliot, even though they're both great.

Zla Vydra
06-23-2012, 10:18 AM
They apparently cancelled the Atlanta date due to lack of ticket sales. Not too upset since I saw the real Death 5 times, including with James Murphy.

TonyD
06-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Dude the other singer was Matt Harvey from Exhumed! I thought Matt did an amazing job doing Chuck's high pitched vocals, and his solos with Shannon and Bobby were beyond awesome especially if he was a last minute replacement. My gut is telling me he came in on The Philosopher, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I know he was definitely there for Overactive Imagination. I know for sure that he ended up singing all the songs that were on Individual Thought Patterns and after.:hmm: If you don't know Exhumed, check out their newest album, All Guts No Glory. Their studio stuff is good, but they seriously destroy live.

That sounds about right. He was way better than the first guy because he was at least close to the same vocal style, the first guy was way too gutteral.

Spirit Crusher would've been nice.
So only half of the musicians are even playing? Or does that mean the last show(Orlando) would probably be Gene Hoglan, Scott Clendenin, Bobby Koelble, Shannon Hamm?
No, I listed the lineup they started with and where/who they changed with.

Onioner
06-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they're saving Spirit Crusher and Scavenger of Human Sorrow for New York when Richard Christy joins them. Also, Gene Hoglan gave one of the most crazy drum performances I have ever seen. I wasn't that impressed when I saw him with Dethklok, but he was mindblowing at this show.

redven
06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I was actually. Content that they didn't play Spirit Crusher but I would have loved Scavenger.

And yes everyone played except the dude from Obscura like you guys said but to be honest, I loved both vocalists that played last night.

dimmudan
06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks for posting the Gorguts setlist.

Pretty much what I expected based on past Gorguts shows :rocker:but looks good to me.

redven
06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fls64NSgosk&feature=plcp

Going to upload some more videos later today or tomorrow since I have the Dying Fetus/Six Feet Under show tonight.

RampinUp46
06-23-2012, 02:52 PM
That fucking setlist is epic.

I can't wait for the Dallas date to be rescheduled. The fact that they're opening with Zombie Ritual, the very first Death song I heard... :D

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they're saving Spirit Crusher and Scavenger of Human Sorrow for New York when Richard Christy joins them. Also, Gene Hoglan gave one of the most crazy drum performances I have ever seen. I wasn't that impressed when I saw him with Dethklok, but he was mindblowing at this show.

Oh i would love those 2 songs, Richard Christy is coming to the Orlando show too, but they said we are getting 2 guests so i wonder who the other is, i know LA is getting the Cattle Decapitation dudes, that just leaves the guys from Testament, TBDM and the guy from Chimaira.

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 03:14 PM
If anyone else goes to a DTA show before the Orlando one, could you please take a picture of the merch table?

Onioner
06-23-2012, 03:21 PM
If anyone else goes to a DTA show before the Orlando one, could you please take a picture of the merch table?

The merch was lame to be honest. The designs were pretty boring and none of them featured any of the classic Death logos. There was a pretty cool Chuck Schuldiner shirt though.

TonyD
06-23-2012, 03:22 PM
They just had a "Death To All" Shirt and a Chuck Schuldiner shirt for $30, a plain Death patch and basically posters with the t shirt designs on lightweight stock for $10. I wasn't too impressed.

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Well they said they were not selling Official Death merchandise at the shows, they were only selling Death To All shirts, patches and they said they would have 3 different posters. But was that it?

treghet
06-23-2012, 05:00 PM
I will be leaving to the Hollywood show in just a bit. Can't wait! :D

TonyD
06-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Well they said they were not selling Official Death merchandise at the shows, they were only selling Death To All shirts, patches and they said they would have 3 different posters. But was that it?

Yep. I think they had a Gene Hoglan instructional DVD too but that's all.

slapguitarer
06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
I got the Death To All poster with the Death logo and the dates and openers. Got it signed by Sean.

Nickweiser
06-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Ryan and Trevor from BDM will likely do the Chicago show considering Ryan lives in the Windy City

JRA
06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Left To Die! :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Yep. I think they had a Gene Hoglan instructional DVD too but that's all.

I'm assuming it was probably $20? Considering it's a DVD.

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 09:36 PM
So i saw a couple pictures, they actually have 2 drum sets on stage?

TonyD
06-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Yep

John The Drummer
06-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I have never been a huge Death fan, but this sounds insanely awesome to see, wish it was coming up North.

TheNobleFaceHumper
06-23-2012, 11:53 PM
This has me excited and anxious for the Orlando show.

"Lots of fan shot footage here... still tix for Chicago, NYC and Orlando available! Don't miss this, especially Orlando! It will be immense."

I can't wait :party:

slapguitarer
06-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Added my review to the initial post, if anybody would like to read.

treghet
06-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Nice review, man. And you should definitely check out Gorguts again. The Erosion of Sanity is my favorite, personally.

I'm going to start working on my review now. :D

slapguitarer
06-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks! Erosion of Insanity was my favorite from the albums I checked out by them.

Onioner
06-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Great review slap, although I still think that your Mel's tradition should change into a Tommy's tradition haha. I pretty much agree with everything you said except the sound. From where I was throughout the show (top balcony or center floor) it was absolutely flawless. Any time a solo was too quiet, it would be corrected within seconds. This is the main reason I don't go for the rail anymore. As cool as being up close is, I'd rather have the better sound. But man, what a show. I'm typing up my review for Metal Assault right now, I'll post a link on this thread when it's up. Hopefully no one will accuse me of whoring haha!

slapguitarer
06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
I've gone to Tommy's once before a Foo Fighters show and it was really good. I think my dad just prefer Mel's because the parking lot, which is understanble. Plus I've never disliked a meal there.

I think my main problem is I'm usually not in center rail, which is why some of the sound from the opposite side of the stage is covered up. I could usually hear them pretty faintly at most. I'd rather be closer to the experience that have the sound be absolutley perfect myself, but it's always cool when you can hear everything clearly. But the way I see it, I know the songs so well that if I can't hear the solo, placebo will kick in and I'll "hear it". :lol:

I'll definitely read your review bro! :D

Onioner
06-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Well, here's my review if anyone wants to check it out! :D
http://metalassault.com/gig_reviews/2012/06/26/legendary-musicians-pay-homage-to-the-father-of-death-metal/

Edit: Well, apparently Eric Greif really loved my review and reposted it on Death's Facebook page! Not a bad way to start my morning!

Natrlhi
06-26-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm so fucking jealous of all the people that get to see one of these shows.:agree: Yolp. :bouville:

slapguitarer
06-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Well, here's my review if anyone wants to check it out! :D
http://metalassault.com/gig_reviews/2012/06/26/legendary-musicians-pay-homage-to-the-father-of-death-metal/

Edit: Well, apparently Eric Greif really loved my review and reposted it on Death's Facebook page! Not a bad way to start my morning!

Nice man! It was a lot better than my large paragraph of "review" :lol:

kommie
06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
about what time did this end?

Onioner
06-26-2012, 02:59 PM
about what time did this end?

Doors were at 8, show at 9. Gorguts played from 9:00-9:45, and the Death set was from 10:15-12:30. Based on whatever time your date's doors are set to open, you should be able to figure out when the show will let out.