PDA

View Full Version : ANTHRAX to release covers EP

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Charlie Benante: To commemorate the first year of Worship Music being out, were putting together a little companion EP with some fun shit on it. It started out as what I call The 70s EP. Its made up of some cover songs from our favorite bands consisting of RUSH, THIN LIZZY, BOSTON, JOURNEY. Were still working on it now, but I think its gonna be really cool.

Songs reportedly due to appear on the EP include 'T.N.T.' (AC/DC), 'Keep On Runnin' (Journey), 'Anthem' (Rush) and 'Smokin'' (Boston).

Sanitarium78
06-21-2012, 05:23 AM
The Rush cover should sound pretty good, really don't care about the rest of them though.

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 05:26 AM
The Rush cover should sound pretty good, really don't care about the rest of them though.

I find that's the wrong attitude to have to covers. The most worthwhile covers are the ones which turn bad songs into good versions. Case in point, almost every cover of a Beatles song ever.

MetalIsArt
06-21-2012, 06:19 AM
I find that's the wrong attitude to have to covers. The most worthwhile covers are the ones which turn bad songs into good versions. Case in point, almost every cover of a Beatles song ever.

So, you don't like the Beatles? :D

I don't hate them, in fact I have several songs of them on my Ipod, but there the most overrated band to ever walk the planet.

I'm sick of all the over the top attention whenever something is released or whenever McCartney performs.

Nater
06-21-2012, 06:25 AM
I'm excited to hear the cover of Smokin. I don't know how good it will be but it will be kinda fun atleast.

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing all of them, because Anthrax sound good. How the original band sounds doesn't really matter.

charbyno
06-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Hopefully they will include their cover of Neon Knights, which they did live a few days ago

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Hopefully they will include their cover of Neon Knights, which they did live a few days ago

They covered Heaven & Hell live too.

300%_Density
06-21-2012, 07:24 AM

I keep finding myself agreeing with more that you say. I hate the Beatles as well.

BloodoftheKings
06-21-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm not too crazy about the choice of songs here. I'd rather hear them do more punk covers.

Sepultura69
06-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Whats with all The Beatles hate?!?! This is preposterous! Sgt. PEPPER is one of the greatest albums of our time, end of discussion. And yes this is the part where Raven man says that i'm laughably incorrect or something to that extent, oh well, so be it.. To each, his own:hmm:

anomynous
06-21-2012, 11:36 AM

That's for the Dio tribute album

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm not too crazy about the choice of songs here. I'd rather hear them do more punk covers.

Zzzzz.

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Whats with all The Beatles hate?!?! This is preposterous! Sgt. PEPPER is one of the greatest albums of our time, end of discussion. And yes this is the part where Raven man says that i'm laughably incorrect or something to that extent, oh well, so be it.. To each, his own:hmm:

Incredibly average songwriters and performers whose fame was purely a product of the times. Luckiest motherfuckers on the planet.

marker
06-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Not a huge Beatles fan, but you're saying that Lennon and McCartney were average songwriters?:lol:
It was a different time back then.

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Not a huge Beatles fan, but you're saying that Lennon and McCartney were average songwriters?:lol:
It was a different time back then.

They were. Everything was simple and boring; they barely even bothered writing lyrics. McCartney certainly got better, but never really all that great.

Obviously I've not listened to everything they ever did, but I've heard a good portion of it, and I've never heard anything remotely interesting or clever. Most of it is only even catchy in a children's-TV-show-theme kind of way.

300%_Density
06-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Similar thought process. I think there could have been any number of bands who could have came an made it big. You are only as good as your competition. And what competition was there back then? Compared to what was going on they were earth shattering.... But compared to what?

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Similar thought process. I think there could have been any number of bands who could have came an made it big. You are only as good as your competition. And what competition was there back then? Compared to what was going on they were earth shattering.... But compared to what?

Precisely. They were a product of the times and are now revered only because they're "supposed" to be.

elturtleboy
06-21-2012, 01:00 PM

This. They covered Discharge so good I'd want to hear more.

300%_Density
06-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Precisely. They were a product of the times and are now revered only because they're "supposed" to be.

I enjoy the Beatles argument with guys in their late 50s who live in the was, not in the now. It's fun & sad @ the same time.

Jochen
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Whats with all The Beatles hate?!?! This is preposterous! Sgt. PEPPER, Abbey Road, Revolver are some of the greatest albums of our time, end of discussion. And yes this is the part where Raven man says that i'm laughably incorrect or something to that extent, oh well, so be it.. To each, his own:hmm:

That's more like it.

mankvill
06-21-2012, 02:11 PM
So obviously Radiohead is better than The Beatles, right?

300%_Density
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
So obviously Radiohead is better than The Beatles, right?

Just go home. ;)

Sepultura69
06-21-2012, 02:31 PM
That's more like it.

Revolver is my favorite Beatles Album :D

elturtleboy
06-21-2012, 08:11 PM
The Ramones > Beatles :finger:

NecroRob
06-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I enjoy the Beatles argument with guys in their late 50s who live in the was, not in the now. It's fun & sad @ the same time.

I'm 21 and I think the Beatles are great. It's hard for me to understand anyone who calls them-self a music fan and not at the very least appreciating the Beatles; and calling them a bad band is just fucking asinine.

And btw if you want people in their 50's to live in the now, what do you suggest they listen to? Dubstep? Rap? Metal? They listen to the music they grew up with, which is what every generation does. When you're 50 some dumbass ignorant kid on the internet will be saying this exact same thing about you, that you're "living in the past" still listening to the music that you enjoy today.

WOLVERINEKILLS
06-22-2012, 11:39 AM
The ep comes out in Sept. i hear unconfirmed rumors that the Thin Lizzy cover is going to be Jailbreak or Cowboy Song.

Steev
06-22-2012, 11:49 AM
The ep comes out in Sept. i hear unconfirmed rumors that the Thin Lizzy cover is going to be Jailbreak or Cowboy Song.

If that's the case I really hope its Cowboy Song

300%_Density
06-22-2012, 11:53 AM

Lame. Not like they didn't do Cowboy Song as a B side on White Noise album.

marker
06-22-2012, 12:03 PM

That's funny, some people think the same thing about Sabbath. I just think it's retarded. And no, I'm not in my 50's.

anomynous
06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
They already did Cowboy Song................

TonyD
06-22-2012, 03:09 PM

The guy who invented the wheel had no competition, its no wonder all the caveman babes wanted to blow him.

BloodoftheKings
06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Turns out this is bull. (http://www.allaxess.com/guitar-blog/guitar-news/scott-ian-denies-rumors-of-an-anthrax-cover-album?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=scott-ian-denies-rumors-of-an-anthrax-cover-album)

EDIT: Scott didn't deny that they recorded these songs, he just said they're not putting out a covers album. The covers mentioned before probably were recorded but being saved for b-sides or something.