PDA

View Full Version : Queensryche Parts Ways With Geoff Tate (No Update - 4/21/14)

EvilCheeseWedge
06-20-2012, 09:26 AM
"Over the past few months, there have been growing creative differences within Queensryche. We want our fans to know that we hoped to find a common resolution, but in the end parting ways with Geoff was the best way for everyone to move forward in a positive direction," drummer Scott Rockenfield said in a statement. "We wish him the best of luck with all of his future endeavors. We can't wait to bring Queensryche to our fans with Todd behind the microphone." - Billboard (http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/exclusive-queensryche-parts-ways-with-geoff-1007371752.story)

girnny777
06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Lol @ Queensryche

IrritatedTrout
06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Kinda funny. :lol:

Wrecking Crew
06-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Does anyone care about Queensryche anymore? Mindcrime was pretty much their only good record although I admit I liked most of Rage for Order too. I saw the original Live Mindcrime and Mindcrime 2 tours which was really all I needed to see.

Chris_M_S
06-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Lol @ Queensryche

Beat me to it. I was just going to say "LOL" but you captured my sentiment just fine

Chris_M_S
06-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Does anyone care about Queensryche anymore? Mindcrime was pretty much their only good record although I admit I liked most of Rage for Order too. I saw the original Live Mindcrime and Mindcrime 2 tours which was really all I needed to see.

I thought Empire was pretty awesome as a kid, too, it's overblown and grandiose in a way that appeals to 13-year-olds.

ravenheart
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Does anyone care about Queensryche anymore? Mindcrime was pretty much their only good record although I admit I liked most of Rage for Order too.

Yes, and wrong :finger:

'The Warning', 'Tribe', and 'Queen of The Reich' in particular say "fuck you".

Nevertheless, this is the most shocking news ever :eyes:

Does this mean Rising West is over? ;)

Chris_M_S
06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Does this mean Rising West is over? ;)

Argh I wish I'd thought of this first

EvilCheeseWedge
06-20-2012, 10:19 AM
I think Rage For Order, Operation: Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land are brilliant albums. I know my opinion is in the minority, but it's an opinion I've held for years and I still find myself returning to those albums with frequency.

Queensryche has certainly been hit and miss since then, but for my money Tribe, Operation: Mindcrime II, and American Soldier are decent enough albums, and Hear in the Now Frontier & Q2K have a few decent cuts between them. Dedicated to Chaos, well....

I've seen Queensryche nine times since the beginning of 2005 (skipped tours such as the Cabaret...) and they've never disappointed me live. They're all friendly approachable guys too.

So yeah, they are definitely not for everyone, have certainly alienated plenty of metal fans (:tp:) and have certainly had better times than lately, but still, they were a solid band, and I can't help but feel this turn of events is a tad bittersweet.

ravenheart
06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Argh I wish I'd thought of this first

I make that 0 for 2 ;)

makethemsuffer12
06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Honestly, after watching Rising West live vids, I wanted this to happen haha. It'll be more true to the Queensryche name than what they've been doing recently.

MPF
06-20-2012, 01:00 PM
So happy about this.

I had a feeling that this was going to happen as Geoff would get pissed that they were playing the old stuff with a different singer and possibly, just gave in after all the shit that has been going on and left.

*Of course I could be wrong, so just an assumption*

Travis The Dragon
06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm truly glad about this news as well! Now, if only Chris DeGarmo would rejoin them. That would rule so much!

Breaking The Law
06-20-2012, 03:19 PM
I think Rage For Order, Operation: Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land are brilliant albums. I know my opinion is in the minority, but it's an opinion I've held for years and I still find myself returning to those albums with frequency.

Queensryche has certainly been hit and miss since then, but for my money Tribe, Operation: Mindcrime II, and American Soldier are decent enough albums, and Hear in the Now Frontier & Q2K have a few decent cuts between them. Dedicated to Chaos, well....

I've seen Queensryche nine times since the beginning of 2005 (skipped tours such as the Cabaret...) and they've never disappointed me live. They're all friendly approachable guys too.

So yeah, they are definitely not for everyone, have certainly alienated plenty of metal fans (:tp:) and have certainly had better times than lately, but still, they were a solid band, and I can't help but feel this turn of events is a tad bittersweet.

Couldn't agree more. I thought they did a great job of mixing up the set from tour to tour, and thought they brought it live everytime. Got to meet them once back in '99 and thought they were very down to Earth. I liked Q2K and Now Frontier, and enjoyed both tours.
Listening to Rising West boots and they do sound very good, but I also agree that this news is a bit sad for me as well.

Steev
06-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Kinda awkward since Tate's daughter was married(barely) to the guitarist

SomewhereInTime72
06-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm with ECW but I also love The Warning. They... WERE a great band in terms of new material, and were still a great live band last I saw them (admittedly a while ago now). Kind of sad... I'm not sure I'm interested in a QR without Geoff, even if he was a big factor in their decline. It's kind of sad to see that a band I consider to be "top 5" material for me based solely on their older work has come to this point. :bouville:

street_burial
06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/0dd/07b/256/resized/spongebob-meme-generator-look-there-goes-the-last-fuck-i-give-41657b.jpg

ravenheart
06-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Kinda awkward since Tate's daughter was married(barely) to the guitarist

Probably the only reason he got the gig in the first place (as Tate's solo band guitarist first, wasn't it?)

They should definitely try to tempt DeGarmo back.

brutal_descent
06-21-2012, 02:10 AM
Kelly Schafer's son is the new singer.

MPF
06-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Kelly Schafer's son is the new singer.

lulwut?

Todd and Kelly are almost the same age. :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Couldn't agree more. I thought they did a great job of mixing up the set from tour to tour, and thought they brought it live everytime. Got to meet them once back in '99 and thought they were very down to Earth. I liked Q2K and Now Frontier, and enjoyed both tours.
Listening to Rising West boots and they do sound very good, but I also agree that this news is a bit sad for me as well.

I agree. I generally liked how they'd alternate from no real live show (just get on stage, and play) to something a bit different (Mindcrime tour) - it doesn't always work, like with Cabaret, but I appreciated their willingness to change it up.

I'm with ECW but I also love The Warning. They... WERE a great band in terms of new material, and were still a great live band last I saw them (admittedly a while ago now). Kind of sad... I'm not sure I'm interested in a QR without Geoff, even if he was a big factor in their decline. It's kind of sad to see that a band I consider to be "top 5" material for me based solely on their older work has come to this point. :bouville:

I like The Warning a lot too, it just never quite did it as much for me as the other albums ;)

Yeah, Rising West sounded good in the bootlegs, but it seems like without DeGarmo or Tate - even if he was responsible for a good portion of the general decline - it just won't be Queensryche.

In a way, I wish they'd just call the new band Rising West or whatever else and just retire the Queensryche name.

Onioner
07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
So for anyone interested in exploring this split further, Geoff has filed a lawsuit against the other guys in an attempt to stop them from using the name.

You can check out everyone's take on Queensryche's recent history (including the Brazil thing, looks like no knife was involved in that after all) in these legal declarations.
http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=2906.0

There's some pretty crazy stuff in there- Queensryche was being Spinal Tapped for a while by being managed (and ran into the ground) by Geoff's wife, Michael Wilton and Eddie Jackson had some parts rerecorded by other musicians on Operation Mindcrime 2, and Geoff tried to make an Operation Mindcrime movie and keep the income to himself among a whole pile of other crap.

MPF
07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Queensryche of Fire would be a great name. :lol:

DementedX14
07-11-2012, 08:29 AM
This looks interesting. :eyes:

QUEENSRčCHE Guitarist: GEOFF TATE Spat In My Face, Punched Me And Called Me A 'Pussy' (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176587)

ravenheart
07-11-2012, 08:44 AM
This looks interesting. :eyes:

QUEENSRčCHE Guitarist: GEOFF TATE Spat In My Face, Punched Me And Called Me A 'Pussy' (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176587)

Ergh, too long...

IrritatedTrout
07-11-2012, 09:16 AM
tldr:

Queensryche sucks.

rjturtle9
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Queensryche of Fire would be a great name. :lol:

:lol:

Travis The Dragon
07-26-2012, 06:35 PM
They have an all new website coming soon: http://queensrycheofficial.com/home.cfm Which means that Geoff and his wife must still have the rights to the original site which has been down for maintenance for quite a few days now.

SomewhereInTime72
07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Michael Wilton is a really cool guy and that story depresses me. :bouville:

Maiden33
07-26-2012, 10:45 PM
tldr:

Queensryche sucks.

What is wrong with you? :tp:

IrritatedTrout
07-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Nothing. Why?;)

:lol:

Travis The Dragon
08-15-2012, 02:04 PM
The new site is up and running! :D I've already joined the forum there as well. Come on over and party!

Sanitarium78
08-15-2012, 05:13 PM
The new site is up and running! :D I've already joined the forum there as well. Come on over and party!

I'll party only if Queensryche doesn't release a pile of shit album this time around.

MPF
08-15-2012, 05:22 PM
I'll party only if Queensryche doesn't release a pile of shit album this time around.

Pretty sure Todd won't allow a shitty Queensryche album.

Travis The Dragon
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM
This should help to put your mind at ease: http://www.billboard.com/features/q-a-queensryche-talks-lawsuit-plans-return-1007826952.story#/features/q-a-queensryche-talks-lawsuit-plans-return-1007826952.story

ravenheart
08-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Latest from Geoff:

Also keep an eye out for the announcement of the upcoming 2013 QUEENSRŸCHE Anniversary Tour featuring an All-Star lineup, starring Geoff Tate, "the longtime creative and driving force behind the band, whose vocals can be heard on every Queensryche song ever released!"

*sigh* This is turning into L.A. Guns level idiocy.

Travis The Dragon
11-14-2012, 08:25 PM
An album teaser of new songs are at QR's site!: http://queensrycheofficial.com/home.cfm

All I can say is WOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! From those samples alone, it is sounding like their best album since Mindcrime!

bennythedog
11-16-2012, 08:59 AM
I was just looking to see if someone posted that!!!

I feel like I got one of my bands back!! I can't wait now!!

Onioner
11-16-2012, 12:07 PM
An album teaser of new songs are at QR's site!: http://queensrycheofficial.com/home.cfm

All I can say is WOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! From those samples alone, it is sounding like their best album since Mindcrime!

Agreed in so many ways, the teaser rules. This whole debacle actually got me back into old school QR, I've been listening to the Warning and Mindcrime regularly since summer. I've never liked Empire much though. It's the first album where Geoff started sounding like ass and there isn't any awesome "metal" songs on there except for maybe the title track. Plenty of okay hard rock, but no metal.

ravenheart
11-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Not really hearing much to get particularly excited about in those samples. Just sounds like a bunch of ordinary power metal stuff.

Travis The Dragon
11-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Not really hearing much to get particularly excited about in those samples. Just sounds like a bunch of ordinary power metal stuff.

Compared to the last few QR albums, that's pretty damn amazing.

ravenheart
11-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Compared to the last few QR albums, that's pretty damn amazing.

Only compared to the last two.

Based purely on those samples, Geoff Tate's new solo album is (surprisingly) better. I hope the finished 'ryche album puts this teaser to shame.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-17-2012, 09:04 AM

This.

Glad they're getting back to their metal roots, though.

Travis The Dragon
12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
How Geoff Taint is handling things: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=183681

How the real Queensryche is handling things: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=3485.0

http://www.rockconfidential.com/inside/interviews/exclusive-interview-scott-rockenfield-from-queensryche/

bennythedog
12-18-2012, 02:04 PM
This comment on the GT article just cracks me up, "grow the fuck up you goofy looking baldy headed prick".

Travis The Dragon
04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Since Hot Turkey Ed closed my thread, I'm hoping this will be a good place to announce the results of the settlement once they are made available.

MPF
04-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Oh good lord man, i like Queensryche as much as the next guy, but let's just WAIT to see what the verdict is, then make a thread about it and be done with it.

Come on, Guy!

Travis The Dragon
04-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Oh good lord man, i like Queensryche as much as the next guy, but let's just WAIT to see what the verdict is, then make a thread about it and be done with it.

Come on, Guy!

Or since this thread has already been here for quite some time, why not let it be the place so I don't get shit for starting yet another QR thread.

BTW, I think you'll all find this (http://www.vindication156.net/index.php?topic=136.0) quite interesting.

hot_turkey_ed
04-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Since Hot Turkey Ed closed my thread, I'm hoping this will be a good place to announce the results of the settlement once they are made available.

You didn't get the hint. Now take the warning. It's easier to suspend your account while we all wait for the announcement than close threads.