PDA

View Full Version : Craziest/most insane shows you've ever seen?

brutal_descent
06-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Should be based on the crowd/show experience itself, but can also be about the band itself. Feel free to post stories.

For me, I'd have to say either Suffocation, Napalm Death, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Black Dahlia Murder (first time I saw them), or Exhumed :rocker:

adamclark52
06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Probably Slayer in April 1999 at the Warehouse in Toronto. Smaller venue (3000 capacity) than Slayer plays these days. My friend Will went into the pit and came out five minutes later with blood dripping from his mouth, a ripped T-shirt and three broken ribs. I saw a lot of people get hurt that night. Probably due to the crowd being a lot of casul metal fans who didn't know a lot about "pit-ediquite", just going out with the intent to kill thinking that's what you're supposed to do.

I stayed away from the pit.

brutal_descent
06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
I stayed away from the pit.

I guessed that from you still posting here ;)

TiradesOfTruth
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
The Black Dahlia Murder when I saw them last october in this small club with support from Cannabis Corpse. I have never seen people going as crazy as I did at that show. The pit was fucking brutal after the show blood was everywhere it was crazy. Plus all the crowd surfers and stage divers.

John The Drummer
06-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Probably one of the three times I saw Asesino. The venue was smaller and full of crazy drunk Mexicans. At one point one of them took off his studded belt and wrapped it aroud his fists ready to fight anyone who bumped into him in the pit.

....yup.

treghet
06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I think the craziest show I've seen was Terror playing at a house right down the street from me. They were playing in the living room and it was packed wall to wall. There were lots of people in other rooms of the house who couldn't get in. It was so hot in there that the windows and mirror in the corner were fogged up. The room had a high ceiling with two large beams going through the center, so naturally people (myself included) jumped off of them. It was total chaos in there. Unfortunately there are no videos of it.

Someguy89
06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Origin in 2011 with hate eternal was clearly the craziest show i've ever seen ! It was the first time I heard of them and i'm addicted to their music ever since.

Here's some footage of the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1r8dbZLxNI

So brutaaal :rocker:

ravenheart
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I know the answer I want to give to this... but for some reason I'm drawing a total blank on which show it was where the crowd went the craziest I've ever seen... it'll come to me...

MPF
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Meshuggah back in May was the most violent crowd Ive seen, Nevermore on Halloween 2010 was right up there as well.

I got knocked out during Haste The Dayw hen they opened for As I Lay Dying and All That Remains (a couple years before ATR made it big). But thats because I never heard of pit ninjas before nor did I know how to avoid them.

That's about all I got for wildest crowds that actually mattered.

ravenheart
06-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Not quite the same thing but I tell you the loudest crowd I've ever seen was Evanescence in London. Holy fucking shit teenage girls love screaming at people on stage for no apparent reason... (this was going to be worded differently, but this was the only version I could come up with that wouldn't lead immediately to a paedophile joke... which is fine, because if someone else had said it, I'd have made one ;))

Crionics
06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Municipal Waste at their typical hometown venue (enough said).

powerslave_85
06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Even most of the punk and metal shows I've been to have been pretty tame, haha. The most raucous crowd I've seen was probably Lamb of God. They just completely went off, and it was cool to watch (until some guy tried to climb on my back to crowd surf). Oh, and one time I saw a girl who was like 8 or 10 crowdsurfing at an Against Me! show.

GarageMetal468
06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Cannibal Corpse headlining 2 years ago, the two Black Dahlia Murder shows in a coffee house in DeKalb (bumfuck nowhere), and Lock Up. That's all I can think of at the top of my head.

dcmetal108
06-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Black Dahlia Murder at Bottomlounge for sure.

Either that or Summer Slaughter last year. That crowd never fucking stopped.

slapguitarer
06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Other than some local punk shows where people mosh during the breaks in between songs and wrestle dudes to the ground for no reason, Dillinger Escape Plan.

mankvill
06-04-2012, 10:06 PM
As far as general crowd interaction, I don't think I've seen anything as nuts as Ceremony's set from yesterday. Non-stop stage-divers off the stage, off the amps, off each other. Lots of pitting, lots of crowd-surfing, lots of singing along. I've never seen anything like it. But I wasn't in the pit for that.

For one that I was actually in the craziness for, it was probably Origin's homecoming show a few weeks ago. I've talked about it before, and anyone at an Origin show knows what I mean.

BloodoftheKings
06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Either Exodus when I saw them on the tour with Arch Enemy in 2010 or Primus last year.

makethemsuffer12
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Meshuggah at Terminal 5.

TonyD
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Lamb of God :eyes:

makethemsuffer12
06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Lamb of God :eyes:

:lol: Nothing wrong with that. LOG shows are always amazing.

dcmetal108
06-04-2012, 10:30 PM
:lol: Nothing wrong with that. LOG shows are always amazing.

I hear crowds for LOG shows are just crazy violent.

kalfitegrdan
06-05-2012, 05:00 AM
Cannibal Corpse headlining 2 years ago, the two Black Dahlia Murder shows in a coffee house in DeKalb (bumfuck nowhere), and Lock Up. That's all I can think of at the top of my head.

All these, except Lock Up was somewhat eclipsed by Nasum.

The bloodiest pit I have ever seen was for some shitty hard rock band, Local H, in like 2008. Dudes were just streaming out of the pit, all bloody and beaten. When I saw Whitehcapel play at the aforementioned coffee house in my hometown, DeKalb (bumfuck nowhere). they had to call an ambulance during Whitechapel's set.

The craziest I've ever seen a band get was definitely The Ocean and Enter Shikari. Also, Bill from Decrepit Birth is a crazy stage diving motherfucker.

Some bands where the pits got pretty fucking nuts were Rotten Sound, Children of Bodom (House of Blues w/ TBDM, the Witch), TBDM any and every time I've seen them headline, Magrudergrind Scion Show seemed pretty intense, Decapitated (w/ Decrepit Birth, Fleshgod) got pretty nuts, Cannabis Corpse at a small ass bar was ridiculous, Paganfest a few months ago got pretty rowdy for Alestorm, not including the shows that GarageMetal mentioned above.

The shows that I personally have been the craziest at are any of the shows at the coffee house in my hometown because it's nice knowing that home is only a three minute drive away and Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel. I was pretty much in the pit for Anthrax's entire set, plus a bunch for Testament and at the end of Death Angel's.

The shows that were crazy/insane in a bad way were Molotov Solution/King Conquer :pissed: and Whitechapel/The Acacia Strain.

John The Drummer
06-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Anyone familiar with Kettle Cadaver? My guitarist always talks about the shows they used to play with them. Their singer was attempting to be GG Allen and would cut himself and pound nails through certain body parts :eyes:

....not everything has to do with the crowd...................

mastodon421
06-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Lamb of God at The Paradise in January. Lamb of God in a 900-person club nuff said'. I doubt I will ever see another as crazy as this one in my entire life. I was on the side and I was still getting fucked up from the crowd movements of the pit (I even lost one of my ear plugs:mad:) I'm surprised no one got severely hurt in all honesty.

Hatebreed at The Palladium December 19, 2009. With the exception of Lamb of God, I've never seen crazier pits at a show than Hatebreed. They took up the whole floor and did not die down from start to finish. The fact that there was a 40-something lady wearing a Christmas sweater crowd surfing non-stop only added to the insanity of the evening.

Killswitch Engage at the House of Blues Boston February 4, 2010: Massachusetts has a lot spawned a lot of metal bands and being from there means I have been fortunate enough to see a lot of hometown shows from a lot of great fucking bands. I have seen Unearth, The Red Chord, Revocation, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, Cave In, Death Before Dishonor, Dropkick Murphys, and some other play hometown shows, but none were crazier than Killswitch Engage. The crowd was going completely apeshit the whole time. There was a really fun crowd movement from start to finish, the pits were huge, crowdsurfing was pretty frequent, and the crowd was singing the words so loud they drowned out Howard Jones at times. I hope Killswitch plays another club show here with a non-shitty lineup sometime soon.

MetalIsArt
06-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Death Angel @ GMM 2006:

I was right at the front just behind the bars, headbanging & smiling the whole time, pits going on everywhere. Mark Osegueda running around on stage with a bottle of wodka & a BIG grin. :rocker:

Metallica @ Werchter Boutique 2012:

Not THAT crazy in terms of "physical" stuff, but the singing from the audience was the loudest I've ever experienced. I couldn't even speak properly for a while, luckily nobody heard me properly because my singing sucks to say the least...

dcmetal108
06-05-2012, 11:58 AM
All these, except Lock Up was somewhat eclipsed by Nasum.

The bloodiest pit I have ever seen was for some shitty hard rock band, Local H, in like 2008. Dudes were just streaming out of the pit, all bloody and beaten. When I saw Whitehcapel play at the aforementioned coffee house in my hometown, DeKalb (bumfuck nowhere). they had to call an ambulance during Whitechapel's set.

The craziest I've ever seen a band get was definitely The Ocean and Enter Shikari. Also, Bill from Decrepit Birth is a crazy stage diving motherfucker.

Some bands where the pits got pretty fucking nuts were Rotten Sound, Children of Bodom (House of Blues w/ TBDM, the Witch), TBDM any and every time I've seen them headline, Magrudergrind Scion Show seemed pretty intense, Decapitated (w/ Decrepit Birth, Fleshgod) got pretty nuts, Cannabis Corpse at a small ass bar was ridiculous, Paganfest a few months ago got pretty rowdy for Alestorm, not including the shows that GarageMetal mentioned above.

The shows that I personally have been the craziest at are any of the shows at the coffee house in my hometown because it's nice knowing that home is only a three minute drive away and Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel. I was pretty much in the pit for Anthrax's entire set, plus a bunch for Testament and at the end of Death Angel's.

The shows that were crazy/insane in a bad way were Molotov Solution/King Conquer :pissed: and Whitechapel/The Acacia Strain.

Duh! Any show with The Acacia Strain is beyond violent. My friend went to the show they did at Mojoes with Terror and said during Acacia people were being knocked out and a few people went into seizures from being hit. And at Warped Tour last year they had to call ambulances in to carry out a few people from the pit during their set.

slapguitarer
06-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't get the appeal of that. How does any of that sound like fun? Last thing I want to happen at a show is to be carried out because of an injury.

IrritatedTrout
06-05-2012, 12:11 PM
The 3 craziest (read: worst) crowds I've ever seen were for the Saturday of MDF 2009, Megadeth in Norfolk, VA in 2010, and Motorhead in Stuttgart, Germany last November. Motorhead and Megadeth were just squishy and rough to the point of extreme distraction from the show, but it didn't completely ruin it. At MDF the crush was so intense during Bolt Thrower that I really couldn't enjoy the set it hurt so much. It was pretty much impossible to get out though. It sucked. At least it made since at MDF and at Motorhead to an extent given the size of the hall, it was just fucking stupid at Megadeth.

masterguy49
06-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't get the appeal of that. How does any of that sound like fun? Last thing I want to happen at a show is to be carried out because of an injury.

This, being someone who loves moshing, the last thing I ever want is an injury that will make me have to miss the rest of the show. My friend lost all his front teeth at Hatebreed in Mayhem 2010 and he wasn't even moshing, he was trying to get out of the pit that formed around us. Not cool.

Napalm was pretty crazy at MDF. Toxic Holocaust and Dillinger were probably the craziest though.

dcmetal108
06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
This, being someone who loves moshing, the last thing I ever want is an injury that will make me have to miss the rest of the show. My friend lost all his front teeth at Hatebreed in Mayhem 2010 and he wasn't even moshing, he was trying to get out of the pit that formed around us. Not cool.

Napalm was pretty crazy at MDF. Toxic Holocaust and Dillinger were probably the craziest though.

Yea I mean I love moshing and crowd surfing more than most haha but I don't want to be hurt or purposely hurt others. Thankfully 99% of people I see at shows are the same way and always helping.

When I saw Trivium a few weeks ago the crowd was insanely nice. Everyone picked each other up and everyone would help get the crowd surfers up. Like one time I asked I had like 10 people come up and lift me just to make sure I got up there safely.

treghet
06-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Since I doubt Wizzbang will post in this thread, skip to the paragraph starting with "Call the Paramedics"

http://metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=210879&postcount=6

dcmetal108
06-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Since I doubt Wizzbang will post in this thread, skip to the paragraph starting with "Call the Paramedics"

That sounds like something I would like to see from a safe distance.

brutal_descent
06-05-2012, 12:56 PM

...holy fuck, what did I just read? :eek:

XDoomsayerX
06-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Da Fuck!? This is just dumb though. Like that guy who wiped shit on himself and whatnot.

slapguitarer
06-05-2012, 01:07 PM
...holy fuck, what did I just read? :eek:

This is pretty much how I feel. ._.

XDoomsayerX
06-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Craziest shows I've attended are Origin( someone got knocked out, ambulance came, they became conscious and asked to come back in! Moshing, stage diving was stopped and a security guard stage dove), The Chariot ( Chain Reaction+ sold out crowd enough said), and Enter Shikari/ Letlive ( letlive. was a nice warm-up, the singer is bat shit crazy stage dives, threw stuff onstage, and all that fun stuff. During Enter Shikari there was human pyramids, singer was all over the arena which the crowd ate up and the usual nonstop crowdsurfing and moshing)

DementedX14
06-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Children of Bodom in 2009.

makethemsuffer12
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqk6ZyCgOwc

Damn...

The Colonel
06-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Haha! The singer of Call The Paramedics is actually a friend of mine, and yes, he's fucking crazy! Only saw them once, at a small bar in Tempe and it didn't get too out of hand. Craziest shows I've ever seen, as far as crowd reaction goes: Converge and Unruh at a bowling alley back in like 1998, whenever Converge put out "When Forever Comes Crashing." Bands played on the floor, except the drummers, and the crowd was spilling into the "stage" area the whole time. Jake Bannon was bleeding profusely from his face almost their entire set, not sure if he got hit or what. I have pics from that show somewhere. The other one was about 5-6 years ago, Suicidal Tendencies and Municipal Waste at the Rialto Theater in Tucson. It's a pretty small theater, but it has a balcony and naturally a few people jumped off. That was just during Waste's opening set. I was recovering from a knee injury at the time, so when things got crazy during Waste I went up to the balcony to stay clear of the pit. Suicidal opened with "You Can't Bring Me Down" and watching the entire floor open up into a gigantic circle pit when the song kicked in was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

mastodon421
06-05-2012, 04:18 PM

This. Severe injuries aren't something to be taken lightly and really shouldn't be happening in pits. The Acacia Strain and Hatebreed have come a few times in this thread for having out-of control pits with a shitload injuries. I've seen The Acacia Strain 4 times and I've seriously only seen one fistfight (which was the only fistfight I had ever seen at a show before I went to blink-182 last summer) during their sets and no one has been carried off due to injury and these are hometown shows mind you. Same deal with Hatebreed, I've seen them three times and I've seen no fistfights and no serious injuries. People up here tend to be really good about picking people up in the pit if they fall (unless it's a show 100% full of scene douches, Thrash and Burn 09 and Warped Tour 2010 were the only times I've seen people down for more than a couple of seconds without getting helped up) It seems like you Chicago motherfuckers are doing it wrong:lol:.

dcmetal108
06-05-2012, 09:07 PM
This. Severe injuries aren't something to be taken lightly and really shouldn't be happening in pits. The Acacia Strain and Hatebreed have come a few times in this thread for having out-of control pits with a shitload injuries. I've seen The Acacia Strain 4 times and I've seriously only seen one fistfight (which was the only fistfight I had ever seen at a show before I went to blink-182 last summer) during their sets and no one has been carried off due to injury and these are hometown shows mind you. Same deal with Hatebreed, I've seen them three times and I've seen no fistfights and no serious injuries. People up here tend to be really good about picking people up in the pit if they fall (unless it's a show 100% full of scene douches, Thrash and Burn 09 and Warped Tour 2010 were the only times I've seen people down for more than a couple of seconds without getting helped up) It seems like you Chicago motherfuckers are doing it wrong:lol:.

Chicago crowds are usually a good band of people I've noticed you just get alot of accidents, the few bad apples, and then just everyone going so apeshit insane that whatever happens happens.

mankvill
06-05-2012, 09:57 PM
punk/hardcore crowds are much, much crazier than probably the best metal show crowd. sorry brehs :(

metallicbrian666
06-05-2012, 10:16 PM
punk/hardcore crowds are much, much crazier than probably the best metal show crowd. sorry brehs :(
Yep

Cro Mags were the craziest set I've ever seen

kalfitegrdan
06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Duh! Any show with The Acacia Strain is beyond violent. My friend went to the show they did at Mojoes with Terror and said during Acacia people were being knocked out and a few people went into seizures from being hit. And at Warped Tour last year they had to call ambulances in to carry out a few people from the pit during their set.

Yeah, the pit at Warped was crazy retarded. Adam from Oceano was just standing in the middle of the pit, being all big and black. :lol:

christopher
06-05-2012, 11:04 PM
I've seen a LOT of insane shows over the years. Most of the craziest shows I've seen have been at this tiny place called the Blvd when punk/grind bands played. The most memorable show I can think of outside of that place was Suffocation at the Grove of Anaheim for Summer Slaughter. HOLY FUCK! There was a gigantic mosh pit on each level of the place. It was insanity! I'll never forget it.

RampinUp46
06-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Hmm. I've been to some interesting shows in my time. From what I can recall:

Craziest crowd: GWAR at the White Rabbit in 2010. The fans literally pushed the security barrier back onto the stage at a forty-five degree angle and I wound up lying on it right in front of Flattus the entire time.

Craziest people: Children of Bodom fans. When I saw them in February, I was looking around the audience as a way to kill time before Eluveitie went on. "Normal" people pass around joints at shows. These motherfuckers passed around vials of coke and flasks of...something. I saw quite a few people leaving pretty fucked up.

Craziest audience response: Slayer and Cannibal Corpse when they both played at Fun Fun Fun Fest last year. During CC, the pit got fucking huge - about the size of the stage - and people started throwing each other across the dirt. I even saw a dude who was bleeding pretty bad after he had both of his gauges ripped out of his ears. No joke, the dude's earlobes had been split in half from what happened. I also got the fuck beaten out of me in the pit during Slayer and went to the back when it started hurting to breathe (I met Corpsegrinder and chilled with him for the latter half of the set - we played air guitar together during Black Magic. Totally worth it).

Special mention goes to D.R.I. and Eyehategod for their respective fanbases. I don't think I've seen either band without bleeding at one point or another.

Craziest shit happening: Seeing a nutjob preach about Jesus outside of a Behemoth show in 2010 talking about how "God is his junk". I turned the phrase "Snort a line of Christ" into an inside joke between me and a couple of guys in line.

...Can't think of anything else at the moment.

The Colonel
06-06-2012, 02:34 AM

This

kalfitegrdan
06-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Craziest shit happening: Seeing a nutjob preach about Jesus outside of a Behemoth show in 2010 talking about how "God is his junk". I turned the phrase "Snort a line of Christ" into an inside joke between me and a couple of guys in line..

:lol: I had something like that happen to me at Pestilence/Vital Remains. I bummed some homeless lady a cigarette and then she went on about how my Vital Remains shirt was possessing me and that I had to believe what she was saying because she was my elder.

It seems like you Chicago motherfuckers are doing it wrong:lol:.

The only times where the for that kind of stupidity ensues is at shows with scene kid douchebags. At regular metal shows (read: death, thrash, black), mosh pit etiquette is in full force.

Also, forgot to mention at Whitechapel headlining shows, shit gets pretty violent. Mostly because there's lots of metalheads (moshers) there and lots of scene kids (pit ninjas) and tempers run high. When I saw them with Monsters in West Dundee, there were multiple brawls, like 4 on 4 and shit, but after like 3 songs, security starting throwing out any hardcore dancer. :lol: Then, when they headlined in my town, there had to be two separate pits because not a one of the hardcore dancers could do their bullshit for more than a second without being knocked down. :lol:

makethemsuffer12
06-06-2012, 07:01 AM
(I met Corpsegrinder and chilled with him for the latter half of the set - we played air guitar together during Black Magic. Totally worth it).

You. I hate you.

adamclark52
06-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Being on the rail for the Melvins in 2010 was pretty crazy for me because it was the one time I was on the rail for a show that was packed. It actually got to the point where it wasn't fun. I wasn't expecting it either. Thank god for the huge, linebacker dude who was beside me clearing out people every once and awile. He wasn't having fun either.

Why didn't I move? I stood there for two hours (no opening band, just a long fucking wait) and me and the big dude agree that since we both stood there for two hours, no way were we moving. I doubt I could've gone anywhere anyway.

dcmetal108
06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
:lol: I had something like that happen to me at Pestilence/Vital Remains. I bummed some homeless lady a cigarette and then she went on about how my Vital Remains shirt was possessing me and that I had to believe what she was saying because she was my elder.

The only times where the for that kind of stupidity ensues is at shows with scene kid douchebags. At regular metal shows (read: death, thrash, black), mosh pit etiquette is in full force.

Also, forgot to mention at Whitechapel headlining shows, shit gets pretty violent. Mostly because there's lots of metalheads (moshers) there and lots of scene kids (pit ninjas) and tempers run high. When I saw them with Monsters in West Dundee, there were multiple brawls, like 4 on 4 and shit, but after like 3 songs, security starting throwing out any hardcore dancer. :lol: Then, when they headlined in my town, there had to be two separate pits because not a one of the hardcore dancers could do their bullshit for more than a second without being knocked down. :lol:

I notice now at shows like the real metalheads (including me) will make sure to create a actual pit and if some scene kid tries to dance he is taken out ASAP!

kalfitegrdan
06-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I notice now at shows like the real metalheads (including me) will make sure to create a actual pit and if some scene kid tries to dance he is taken out ASAP!

Yeah, that's how it always is.

I even do that at shows with scene kids sometimes. :lol: Warped Tour 2010 was some good times. I'll never forget my friend who's like 6"3, 300lbs clearing out a pit of like 50 hardcore dancers during Whitechapel's set.