PDA

View Full Version : Load or Reload?

brutal_descent
05-31-2012, 01:21 AM
...because I think that once you take the fact that they're by Metallica out of the equation, they're pretty good alt metal/alt rock albums ;)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfaggcqm3L1qcnfxk.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_S59hgOqwLUs/Sm0Okrodi6I/AAAAAAAAA8M/rzIw7AHrOe0/s400/Metallica+-+Reload.jpg

Edit: What the fuck? I clicked add poll, put in the options, and no poll showed up :hecho:

kalfitegrdan
05-31-2012, 01:24 AM
There's a good possibility that I hate Reload even more than St. Anger.

brutal_descent
05-31-2012, 01:26 AM
There's a good possibility that I hate Reload even more than St. Anger.

This is basically how I see it.

Load:

>Ain't My Bi-CHA
>2 x 4
>King Nothing

Reload:

>Gimme FU Gimme FAI Gimme JABBAJABBAJABBA
>Devil's Dance
>Carpe Diem Bay-BEH
>Low Man's Lyric

MPF
05-31-2012, 01:31 AM
Load has bout 1-2 songs that are just meh, and the rest is awesome. One of my favorite albums of the 90s.

Reload has 3-4 songs I can tolerate with a bunch of shit covered shit.

treghet
05-31-2012, 01:38 AM
I've never bothered to listen to Load, Reload, or St. Anger, because I don't care to find out which one I hate the most.

brutal_descent
05-31-2012, 01:41 AM
I've never bothered to listen to Load, Reload, or St. Anger, because I don't care to find out which one I hate the most.

Granted, all three albums are the lowest on my 'best of Metallica' list, but Load and Reload do have some decent songs; mainly the ones I listed above.

MPF
05-31-2012, 02:01 AM

You are doing yourself an injustice by not checking out Load at least once.

kalfitegrdan
05-31-2012, 02:04 AM
This is basically how I see it.

Load:

>Ain't My Bi-CHA
>2 x 4
>King Nothing

Reload:

>Gimme FU Gimme FAI Gimme JABBAJABBAJABBA
>Devil's Dance
>Carpe Diem Bay-BEH
>Low Man's Lyric

I haven't actually listened to either of them in years, but I probably like Load more because I heard it first back when I was first getting into music/Metallica, whereas Reload I heard like 3 years after that when my tastes had branched out and went more to the extreme side, so Reload just kinda pissed me off on first listen.

Plus, I think King Nothing is better than any song on Reload. Although, honestly I don't remember either record too well.

NickLed19
05-31-2012, 02:15 AM
Load is not awful, Reload is.

OraclesofAgony
05-31-2012, 03:15 AM
Load has some decent songs.

Reload sucks.

brutal_descent
05-31-2012, 05:13 AM
I haven't actually listened to either of them in years, but I probably like Load more because I heard it first back when I was first getting into music/Metallica, whereas Reload I heard like 3 years after that when my tastes had branched out and went more to the extreme side, so Reload just kinda pissed me off on first listen.

Plus, I think King Nothing is better than any song on Reload. Although, honestly I don't remember either record too well.

I love the lyrics to King Nothing, but the music to it is pretty lame. Here's my ranking of the songs I listed as good:

1. Ain't My Bitch
2. 2 X 4
3. Low Man's Lyric
4. Devil's Dance
5. Fuel
6. King Nothing
7. Carpe Diem Baby

ravenheart
05-31-2012, 05:15 AM
...because I think that once you take the fact that they're by Metallica out of the equation, they're pretty good alt metal/alt rock albums ;)

Truth.

And 'Load' all day long, but there are some songs I love on ReLoad too.

ravenheart
05-31-2012, 05:19 AM
Good songs as I see it (no order):

Load
All of them. Ranging from good to awesome.

ReLoad
Devil's Dance
The Unforgiven II
Better Than You
Low Man's Lyric

The rest ranging from average to good. In particular 'Memory Remains' is just good on here, but it elevates to great on 'S&M', which is still one of my favourite live albums/DVDs of all time.

brutal_descent
05-31-2012, 05:27 AM
In particular 'Memory Remains' is just good on here, but it elevates to great on 'S&M', which is still one of my favourite live albums/DVDs of all time.

Like King Nothing, the only thing I like about The Memory Remains is its lyrics. The music itself irks me.

mastodon421
05-31-2012, 05:35 AM
They both suck really hard, but Load is a better album for sure.

mankvill
05-31-2012, 05:48 AM
Load. ReLoad has Fuel, one of my favorite Metallica songs, but cmon. LOAD.

ravenheart
05-31-2012, 06:42 AM
They both suck really hard, but Load is a better album for sure.

No.

ravenheart
05-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Load. ReLoad has Fuel, one of my favorite Metallica songs, but cmon. LOAD.

Go to Texas already!

BloodoftheKings
05-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Both are pretty bad but Load sucks a little less.

ravenheart
05-31-2012, 07:25 AM
I smell people who can't get over the fact that it doesn't sound like old Metallica...

treghet
05-31-2012, 07:27 AM
I smell people who can't get over the fact that it doesn't sound like old Metallica...

Or maybe they just don't like alternative rock/metal? Not that hard to understand really.

makethemsuffer12
05-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Load has more good songs, so I'll go with that. But ReLoad does have some good ones, as well (Fuel, Memory, Dance, UII, Better Than You, Slither, CDB, Bad Seed, Prince Charming).

ravenheart
05-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Or maybe they just don't like alternative rock/metal? Not that hard to understand really.

That's not hard to understand at all. But it makes any view they have one what makes a good album of that style worthless. I was working on the assumption that anyone who expressed an opinion on the quality of these albums either likes the style and thinks they're bad examples of it, or is stuck in "it doesn't sound like Metallica" mode. Otherwise having a "view" at all is stupid and most likely wrong.

It'd be like me saying what makes a good extreme death metal album.

treghet
05-31-2012, 08:09 AM
That's not hard to understand at all. But it makes any view they have one what makes a good album of that style worthless. I was working on the assumption that anyone who expressed an opinion on the quality of these albums either likes the style and thinks they're bad examples of it, or is stuck in "it doesn't sound like Metallica" mode. Otherwise having a "view" at all is stupid and most likely wrong.

It'd be like me saying what makes a good extreme death metal album.

That's true too. I can't judge whether or not those albums are good for what they are, I just know that kind of music makes me cringe. :hecho:

Chris_M_S
05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
I really like the closing tracks on both albums a lot. Also, give me Thorn Within, Carpe Diem Baby, Wasting My Hate, Bleeding Me...definitely some good jams across both. It's tough to pick, I like roughly the same amount of songs on each.

dcmetal108
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Good songs as I see it (no order):

Load
All of them. Ranging from good to awesome.

ReLoad
Devil's Dance
The Unforgiven II
Better Than You
Low Man's Lyric

The rest ranging from average to good. In particular 'Memory Remains' is just good on here, but it elevates to great on 'S&M', which is still one of my favourite live albums/DVDs of all time.

I finally agree with you on something.

brutal_descent
05-31-2012, 11:19 AM
I finally agree with you on something.

inb4 "hopefully it's the last time"

elturtleboy
05-31-2012, 12:05 PM

This. And mainly cause I don't wanna hate Metallica.

Indestructible
05-31-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't care a lot for Load and Reload but there are good songs on each album. Reload might be the better album, I like some songs from Load but there is something about that album I can't stand. The songs on Load I like are, The House Jack Built, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing and Hero of the Day. I like the heavy part in Bleeding Me(4:05-7:18), and The Outlaw Torn is alright. The songs I like on Reload are, Fuel, The Memory Remains, Devil's Dance, The Unforgiven II, Where the Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric and Fixxer. I listen to those songs, the rest of the album I don't care for.

kalfitegrdan
05-31-2012, 02:37 PM

I think that as Metallica albums they are horrible, but as just albums in general, Load is pretty okay and ReLoad has its moments, but overall falls short of being a decent album.

Sanitarium78
05-31-2012, 03:43 PM
I guess i'm in the minority here because I like Reload better. Maybe because i'm old enough to remember when Load was released and having to wait 5 years to get the follow up to TBA. Needless to say waiting five years for the garbage that Load had on it was a big disappoinment. That's probably why I like Reload better, my expectations were so low for it after Load that Reload actually exceeded them.

I think the singels off Load, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing and Hero Of The Day are some of the better songs on the album. The House Jack Built is good, Bleeding Me is OK but highly overrated by a lot of fans and The Outlaw Torn is good even though I think the song was dragged out too much and hurt the song a bit for me. The rest of the album is just forgetable garbage.

Reload I thought was a more consistant album and all around it's a solid hard rock album from begining to end. It had way less "what the fuck?" moments than Load which made if more enjoyable for me. I like the first four songs a lot and Where The Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric and Fixxxer are all very good songs that don't get the love they should and they easliy beat everything on Load.

El Gordo
05-31-2012, 05:09 PM
I guess i'm in the minority here because I like Reload better. Maybe because i'm old enough to remember when Load was released and having to wait 5 years to get the follow up to TBA. Needless to say waiting five years for the garbage that Load had on it was a big disappoinment. That's probably why I like Reload better, my expectations were so low for it after Load that Reload actually exceeded them.

I think the singels off Load, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing and Hero Of The Day are some of the better songs on the album. Bleeding Me is OK but highly overrated by a lot of fans and The Outlaw Torn is good even though I think the song was dragged out too much and hurt the song a bit for me. The rest of the album is just forgetable garbage.

Reload I thought was a more consistant album and all around it's a solid hard rock album from begining to end. It had way less "what the fuck?" moments than Load which made if more enjoyable for me. I like the first four songs a lot and Where The Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric and Fixxxer are all very good songs that don't get the love they should and they easliy beat everything on Load.

I know exactly what you're saying, man. I remember the exact day I first heard 'Until It Sleeps', my friends and I were in an uproar. "James Hetfield has turned into a fucking pussy!" Then the album just confirmed all our fears, there was nothing fast, nothing epic, can this really be the same band?

For Re-Load, the bar was set much lower. Sure, there was a part of me that wanted a thrash-gasm, but I knew I was just getting more of the same, so for a long time I liked it a hell of a lot more than that bastard of an album, Load.

These days I don't hate either album, but I don't particularly like them. I do however think that Load is slightly better than Re-Load now. It's just a stronger and more consistent album overall.

adamclark52
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
ReLoad

adamclark52
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM

I think the singels off Load, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing and Hero Of The Day are some of the better songs on the album. Bleeding Me is OK but highly overrated by a lot of fans and The Outlaw Torn is good even though I think the song was dragged out too much and hurt the song a bit for me. The rest of the album is just forgetable garbage.

this. I always liked ReLoad better. Load had only a few songs I liked; Hero of the Day, Bleeding Me and Mama Said. ReLoad had seven; Fuel, Memory Remains, Unforgiven II, Carpe Deim Baby, Where the Wild Things Are, Low Mans Lyric and Fixxxer.