PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

adamclark52
05-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Not sure if there are any fans on this site but here's a thread anyway.

I watched the first seven episodes of season 2 today. It doesn't have quite the 'wow' factoir that the first season had but it's really like any other HBO series; awesome first few minutes, plods along for forty five minutes and then gets really hot for the last five minutes. There's been a few storylines I've been interested in (Arya's story, anything with the Wall, and Peter Dinklidge in general) but really I'm to the point in the show where I'm just watching to see a few characters I hate die, even though I know that won't happen until at least season 3.

So far the best part of the series is the first fifteen minutes of the first episode. The White Walkers shit is cool yo, too bad I have to wait probably at least five years before anything really happens with them.

No, I've never read the books.

Dextrimental
05-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Following it intently, really enjoying it. I have the books on my to read list, but that list is currently at around 50 something with my constantly reading, so I won't get to them for a while. That said, I'm very happy with just following the tv show for now!

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Never read the books but I do watch the show. I like it.

This season has kind of dragged a little, though.

mankvill
05-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Love it! I'm currently reading the third book and watching along with the Season 2 episodes.

I heard that book three will be split up into two seasons, which is good. The book is massive.

:D Who's your favorite character so far? I mean, besides Tyrion.

Jhaqen is such a badass.

(sic)&disturbed
05-27-2012, 09:14 AM
I was going to read the books but one day I seen an interview with Martin and he said he hasn't finished writing them and he could keel over at any moment with a massive heart attack and you would never get to the end of the series. So I will wait till he either finishes them or dies!

mankvill
05-27-2012, 09:32 AM
I was going to read the books but one day I seen an interview with Martin and he said he hasn't finished writing them and he could keel over at any moment with a massive heart attack and you would never get to the end of the series. So I will wait till he either finishes them or dies!

I will say I think the first season follows along pretty well with the first book. The second one does too for the most part, but there are a few big changes. Not enough to completely alter the story or its outcome, but still pretty big.

powerslave_85
05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Of the first three books (the only ones I've read so far), the 2nd is by far the least exciting/shocking, so it doesn't surprise me that the second season of the show is the same. The last two episodes should be awesome, though.

Of all the storylines this season, I think the one that got screwed over was Davos.

adamclark52
05-27-2012, 04:24 PM
I don't know many characters names but my favorites have to be:
-Tyrion
-Arya
-Jaqen H'ghar
-Jorah Mormont
-Bronn
-the hound (the scene where he saves Sansa from being raped was awesome)
-Khal Drogo
-Viserys Targaryen
-Syrio Forel
I did like Jon Snow but the last sequence I saw with him and the Wildling girl he held captive made me shake my head.

I'd say Jaqen H'ghar is my favorite.

Least favorites; Geoffery (obviously), Sansa and Theon Greyjoy. Geoffery and the other guy I'm supposed to hate, Sansa I don't think I'm supposed to.

adamclark52
05-27-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't know many characters names but my favorites have to be:
-Tyrion
-Arya
-Jaqen H'ghar
-Jorah Mormont
-Bronn
-the hound (the scene where he saves Sansa from being raped was awesome)
-Khal Drogo
-Viserys Targaryen
-Syrio Forel
I did like Jon Snow but the last sequence I saw with him and the Wildling girl he held captive made me shake my head.

I'd say Jaqen H'ghar is my favorite.

Least favorites; Geoffery (obviously), Sansa and Theon Greyjoy. Geoffery and the other guy I'm supposed to hate, Sansa I don't think I'm supposed to.

I got all those names off wikipedia, you could ask me in 20 minutes who Jaqen H'ghar is and I'll have no idea.

Butcher of Birth
05-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Almost done with the first book, but as far as the second season is concerned I've loved it.

kalfitegrdan
05-28-2012, 03:30 AM
I'd only saw the first two episodes of the second season until today when my friends and I power watched all the way up to the episode that aired tonight. The violence in the new episode is like "holy fucking shit awesome."

The books are on my list to read, but I'm a little apprehensive to read a book before that season airs because that's ruined a bunch of TV shows for me lately. (Because of all the major changes made, not because of knowing what is going to happen.)

My favorite characters would include: Tyrion (obviously), Jorah Mormont, Arya, Samwell Tarly, Bronn, The Hound, Salladhor Saan (only in one episode so far, but might be one of my favorite characters), Osha. A lot of cool characters in the show. :tongue:

Butcher of Birth
06-03-2012, 06:24 PM
WOW! What a season finale that was! Thoroughly pleased.

adamclark52
06-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I just made it through Episodes 8 and 9 tonight. The battle was good, nice to see something finally happen. But one thing I will say is that I wanted to jump through the screen and high-five the Hound.

I'll catch the season finale sometime next weekend.

jd091
06-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Episode 10 was pretty sick, cannot fucking wait for season 3. Book 3 was actually batshit insane.

adamclark52
06-17-2012, 09:13 AM
just made it through Season 2 Episode 10. It served as a good closer to an okay season. I think my main problem this season was just too much going on and not enough time spent on it. Season 1 was was definatly the better of the two but this year did have some good parts.

My favorite part of Season 2 is very much like my favorite part of Season 1. I LOVED the last five mintues of Episode 10. It's a good reminder that all these petty arguments are going to mean nothing when (hopefully) the greater evil comes to town.

brutal_descent
06-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Halfway through episode three of season one. Loving the show so far, but holy fuck, do I want to see Joffrey have to reenact a Cannibal Corpse song :mad:

adamclark52
06-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Halfway through episode three of season one. Loving the show so far, but holy fuck, do I want to see Joffrey have to reenact a Cannibal Corpse song :mad:

I've read some info on the books, and needless to say I'm looking forward to what Season 3 should have in store for Joffrey.

brutal_descent
06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I've read some info on the books, and needless to say I'm looking forward to what Season 3 should have in store for Joffrey.

Good to hear! That little bitch deserves whatever's coming to him. Wouldn't hurt for the same to come to his whore of a mother, too ;)

mankvill
06-17-2012, 11:21 AM

A Storm Of Swords is actually being split up into two seasons. And I don't blame em.

mastodon421
06-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Four episodes into Season 1 right now and I love it. Can't wait to see how the rest of the season unfolds!

jd091
06-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Everyone should be required to watch this show.

dcmetal108
06-17-2012, 06:28 PM
I have never seen it. Want to , yet haven't.

brutal_descent
07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Reading book one right now. Very surprised at how little is left out on the show. A few things did come to my attention, though:

1. Daenerys' psychological transformation into a Khaleesi is much shorter in the book than on the show.

2. In the book, Catelyn tells Ser Rodrik of her history with Littlefinger en route to King's Landing. I don't recall this happening on the show... Were it to be included, it'd make the importance of Littlefinger's monologue to the two prostitutes easier to understand. I myself failed to realize Littlefinger was talking about Catelyn when I first watched the scene.

Incredibly stoked for season three :rocker:

maidenpriest
07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Reading book one right now. Very surprised at how little is left out on the show. A few things did come to my attention, though:

1. Daenerys' psychological transformation into a Khaleesi is much shorter in the book than on the show.

2. In the book, Catelyn tells Ser Rodrik of her history with Littlefinger en route to King's Landing. I don't recall this happening on the show... Were it to be included, it'd make the importance of Littlefinger's monologue to the two prostitutes easier to understand. I myself failed to realize Littlefinger was talking about Catelyn when I first watched the scene.

Incredibly stoked for season three :rocker:

Daenerys' role in general in the first two books has been extended in the show. She is a major character but at the same time, her storyline doesn't get any depth (imo) until A Storm of Swords. And while it would've been easier, Littlefinger's dialogue gave HBO an excuse to have a sex scene in the episode. I do wonder how they will introduce Edmure and the Blackfish in season 3 since their introductions will have to be quite different from AGoT

adamclark52
04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm bumping this because I think the new season starts soon, if it hasn't started already.

Feel free to discuss. I won't be watching until my brother-in-law rips me a few episodes but I don't mind spoilers.

Dextrimental
04-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm bumping this because I think the new season starts soon, if it hasn't started already.

Feel free to discuss. I won't be watching until my brother-in-law rips me a few episodes but I don't mind spoilers.

Started last night. I enjoyed the first episode, things are getting more interesting as the characters take on bigger, or smaller, roles.

Also, Dragons.

adamclark52
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I just did season three in one sitting. I didn't like it too much. It was a little slow and jumped around between too many characters. I guess seasons three and four are actually going to be the third book split in half, from what I've heard. And that makes sense since this season seemed like the start of a lot.

Not enough Whitewalkers either. Something tells me my desire to see more of that won't be fulfilled until season eight.

Sanitarium78
07-01-2013, 06:00 AM
I just did season three in one sitting. I didn't like it too much. It was a little slow and jumped around between too many characters. I guess seasons three and four are actually going to be the third book split in half, from what I've heard. And that makes sense since this season seemed like the start of a lot.

Not enough Whitewalkers either. Something tells me my desire to see more of that won't be fulfilled until season eight.

Too slow and jumping around between too many characters describes this whole shows run, not just this season. This season I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it and still didn't feel like I missed anything by the end of it. There's too many characters and I've not been given one good reason to care about 90 percent of them. Remembering all their names is a whole other thing to. Besides Tyrion, Ned Stark, Arya, Daenerys and her dragons I find that I don't care about anyone else on the show. Jon Snow and Robb Stark are decent supporting characters but nobody else does anything for me . It's just too all over the place and needs to concentrate on just a handful of characters.

The "Red Wedding" episode this season was pretty awesome and should've been the season finale. It was funny seeing all over the internet how people freaked out over that episode. It's like they've never watched anything violent on TV or in movies before.

I do look forward to the inevitable wacking of King Geoffrey and please can we get some more damn White Walkers already. All this build up over winter coming and these creatures who come with it and we barely get anything out of it in three seasons:tp: When the show is at it's best it's tough to beat. It just takes so damn long to get to the good stuff.

adamclark52
07-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Too slow and jumping around between too many characters describes this whole shows run, not just this season. This season I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it and still didn't feel like I missed anything by the end of it. There's too many characters and I've not been given one good reason to care about 90 percent of them. Remembering all their names is a whole other thing to. Besides Tyrion, Ned Stark, Arya, Daenerys and her dragons I find that I don't care about anyone else on the show. Jon Snow and Robb Stark are decent supporting characters but nobody else does anything for me . It's just too all over the place and needs to concentrate on just a handful of characters.

The "Red Wedding" episode this season was pretty awesome and should've been the season finale. It was funny seeing all over the internet how people freaked out over that episode. It's like they've never watched anything violent on TV or in movies before.

I do look forward to the inevitable wacking of King Geoffrey and please can we get some more damn White Walkers already. All this build up over winter coming and these creatures who come with it and we barely get anything out of it in three seasons:tp: When the show is at it's best it's tough to beat. It just takes so damn long to get to the good stuff.

Yup, I pretty much agree with you on all your points. I hate almost every character on the show. I know I'm supposed to hate them but I'm not even rooting for anyone; save that Onion Knight guy, Arya, the Hound, Samwise and Hodor. Like when Catherine got hr throat slashed I was like, "yup".

Of all the characters this season I think I had the biggest hate-on for that girl who's marrying Geoffery. I know she's just playing him, but she's just such a moron.

It's building to a lot with the White Walkers and the dragon girl (who is looking like she will kick some ass) but I have a bad feeling it will be disappointing in the end.

And the nudity and sex is something I'm getting tired of. No girls back then were built like that, no way. It's almost like the author is living out all his fantasies in one fell swoop. But damn, Robb Starks wife had a great ass.

I watched it more out of duty. Doing it in one sitting wasn't a very good idea. The anticipation for the next episode was gone because it was coming right up. And the anticipation for next season was lost because I was exhausted.

CreptorStatus
07-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Yup, I pretty much agree with you on all your points. I hate almost every character on the show. I know I'm supposed to hate them but I'm not even rooting for anyone; save that Onion Knight guy, Arya, the Hound, Samwise and Hodor. Like when Catherine got hr throat slashed I was like, "yup".

Of all the characters this season I think I had the biggest hate-on for that girl who's marrying Geoffery. I know she's just playing him, but she's just such a moron.

It's building to a lot with the White Walkers and the dragon girl (who is looking like she will kick some ass) but I have a bad feeling it will be disappointing in the end.

And the nudity and sex is something I'm getting tired of. No girls back then were built like that, no way. It's almost like the author is living out all his fantasies in one fell swoop. But damn, Robb Starks wife had a great ass.

I watched it more out of duty. Doing it in one sitting wasn't a very good idea. The anticipation for the next episode was gone because it was coming right up. And the anticipation for next season was lost because I was exhausted.

As a reader of the books I agree with you the story is not translating well onto a TV format. While the first book had a limited cast of characters who were all relatively grouped together, every book after the characters and their stories become more and more separate and spread out. To be honest I have no idea how they are going to even do the show from Season 5 onward. I think it would be best if they completely gave up trying to follow the books.

Its too bad though because while reading the books you get such good insight into all the characters it really makes you want to root for all of them. They are unique and interested, some of my favorite characters are the "bad" guys like Jaime Lannister, Littlefinger, Roose Bolton, Stannis, etc. On the show they dont have nearly enough time to develop these characters fully.

And while the books have some sex and nudity, its HBO who is putting a tits and ass quota in every episode. The book is not nearly this filled with pointless sex. For example the scene with Rob Stark and his wife's ass was completely made up.

BUT the 4th season will be sick, provided they don't completely change the source material.

maidenpriest
07-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Book 3 was always going to be the biggest problem bringing to screen cause its too big for one season, but if not split right, is going to drag through 2 seasons. Like with Arya, I have no idea what she is going to do for next season, cause where she ended in the show, there is like 2-3 chapters of source material left in that book. I think there is going to be a much bigger focus on King's Landing and the Wall next season, which in my opinion was the best parts of book 3. And you guys who just watch the show, you think your wait for White Walkers is bad, try reading 5 books and still wait. lol

kalfitegrdan
07-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Book 3 was always going to be the biggest problem bringing to screen cause its too big for one season, but if not split right, is going to drag through 2 seasons. Like with Arya, I have no idea what she is going to do for next season, cause where she ended in the show, there is like 2-3 chapters of source material left in that book. I think there is going to be a much bigger focus on King's Landing and the Wall next season, which in my opinion was the best parts of book 3. And you guys who just watch the show, you think your wait for White Walkers is bad, try reading 5 books and still wait. lol

Yeah, seriously.

I'm worried about what they're going to do with Arya next season because her story is my favorite part of book three and as you said there really isn't much more source material left for her in that book. Plus, they already killed The Tickler. :flame:

adamclark52
07-05-2013, 11:14 AM
From what I've gathered in the show; Brann has some mystical power. What do you bet that just as the White Walkers are about to strike he stops them WITH HIS MIND!!!!!!!!

Sanitarium78
06-05-2014, 01:07 PM
So, anybody watching this current season? I think it's been pretty good so far and they've seem to cut down on the useless secondary characters a little bit which I do like. I still want more white walkers and dragons though. Really brutal but cool death scene at the end of the newest one. I hope Tyrion can find a way to get out of the predicament he's in now.

adamclark52
06-05-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm hoping to catch up this weekend, I haven't seen any get.

adamclark52
06-23-2014, 10:43 AM
I watched the first four episodes of season four today. It is less characters heavy than last year, which is nice. My problem is so many people from LAST season that I have no recollection of. A little too much talking though.

Arya and the Hounds parts have been fucking awesome. When she ran her sword through that guys head...that was fucking killer.

And Joffery's death...I waited four years to see that. That girl he was supposed to marry, whoever the hell she is, I can't stand her. Something about her. Not the character as much as the actress. She looks like someone punched her in the left cheek and she never reset her face. She was in a terrible Canadian show a few years ago and she annoyed me then too.

The dragon chicks story is just boring to me. How many slaves is she going to free and masters is she going to bring to justice before something big happens? I can see the dragons backfiring on her but it's probably going to take three or four more seasons for it to happen.

The Wall and Wildlings stuff is a little flat so far to me too.

I just hope something BIG happens soon.

adamclark52
06-23-2014, 11:31 AM
And I've grown to really like Jamie Lanister. But that scene when he fucked his own sister beside their sons dead body (yes, you heard that people unfamiliar with the show) pretty much summed up the whole series to me.

adamclark52
07-12-2014, 10:54 AM
I finished season four today. It was MUCH better than season three. There's an old saying,"less is more". This season proved it. If this have of been the last season it would have been a great ending. I'm actually excited for season five (after season three I was excited that the pizza I ordered arrived). It will be interesting to see where it goes with some major characters written out/dead.

I did groan a little at the Tree People (or whatever they are) that Brann ran in to at the end. And during the battle at the Wall, for only having one hundred and two soldiers...it looked like a lot more than that died. I felt bad to see the two supporting characters (I don't know their names) die during that battle. But I high-fived that little kid who put the arrow through the red-head. Bitch deserved it.

Now Lord McFatass better get to work finishing writing the series because we're catching up.