PDA

View Full Version : Integrity -- Pomona, CA -- May 19th, 2012

treghet
05-20-2012, 04:16 AM
At Scion Rock Fest last year I was really excited about seeing Integrity, but they were unfortunately playing during Morbid Angel, so I passed on the opportunity. I was worried they might not be back here again for years, but I was thinking the same could be possible for Morbid Angel. I was ecstatic when Scion announced they were bringing them back to Southern California for a third time. Needless to say I would not be missing them this time around.

Since Scion has moved their shows to The Glass House, a much larger venue than The Roxy, the RSVP list didn't fill up, so I wasn't worried about showing up an hour early to get in. I walked inside about a minute before the first band, Young and In the Way. I listened to one of their songs before the show, but otherwise I was unfamiliar with them. From the looks of it they were like any other hardcore band, but their performance proved otherwise. I noticed they had incense all around the stage, which I thought was odd until I figured out why. On each side of the stage they had a skinned animal head on a stand. It made me feel like I was at a black metal show, and they were actually more of a blackened crust band than a hardcore band. Their music really impressed me and the vocalist had a ton of energy on stage. Near the end of the set he took one of the animal heads and threw it into the crowd. I'm not sure what they played because they didn't announce any of their songs, but I will definitely be checking them out now.

Next up was The Love Below, who I honestly didn't care for. The vocalist was annoying me, so I walked around outside during their set. I came back inside for Seven Sisters of Sleep. I hadn't heard of them before, or listened to them, so I didn't know what to expect. They turned out to be pretty good, but nothing too impressive. I thought it was funny that the vocalist kept saying "Turn out the fucking lights please" but nobody did for the whole set. It actually wasn't even that hot compared to some other shows I've seen there.

Soon after Ringworm was on stage. They definitely got a better crowd reaction than any of the previous bands, but I thought more people would be going crazy for them. Either way, they still put on a great show. They were unbelievably heavy. Unfortunately they had to cut some songs from the set since they only had a half hour to play. I thought it was really cool to see them before Integrity, since both bands are from Cleveland. Unless there was some festival or tour I'm unaware of, I assume this is the first time they've played together in years.

Amputee
The Cage
Birth Is Pain
The Promise
Justice Replaced By Revenge
I Can See
Leviathon
Likeness of Vanity
The Ninth Circle
Numb / Blind to Faith

My excitement built up as Integrity was doing their sound check. After having to miss them last year I was eager to finally see them live. Without any intro they busted into "Judgement Day" and the crowd exploded. Although the venue was only about half full, those who were there showed their appreciation. They continued on with a plethora of old songs, including one of my favorites, "Diehard". Since the Glasshouse has a barricade in front there was no stage diving, but people were still climbing on top of each other to scream along. Dwid's throaty vocals sounded angry as hell, and watching Rob nail the solos up close was incredible. Aside from two new songs the entire set was material from 1995 and before. It was awesome to hear so many of the old classics, and the two new songs they chose were actually my favorites from the recent EP.

After "Hollow" Dwid went up to the rail for the introduction speech to "Micha: Those Who Fear Tomorrow" and stayed there to let the crowd scream the lyrics with him. After the song the house lights came on, but the band continued on with "Abraxas Annihilation". The sound guy seemed kind of irritated, but he didn't cut them off. Once they finished it he turned off Dwid's mic. He stood there, still on the rail, as the crowd chanted for one more song. One of the staff was signaling to the band that they were cut off and the sound guy said "There's no way I'm turning them back on." People were yelling at the sound guy and he walked out of the venue. As one of the staff was on stage telling the band they had to pack up the other sound guy got on the PA and said "Give 'em one more. Make it worth it." Dwid's mic was turned back on and they started the melodic intro to "Jagged Visions of My True Destiny". It was one of those concert moments I think I will always remember. Due to the extra songs and waiting to be turned back on, their set ended up going fifteen minutes over the allotted time. It was a remarkable show to say the least.

Judgement Day
Lundgren / Crucifixion
Diehard
Kingdom of Heaven
Rebirth
Tempest
Detonate Worlds Plague
+Orrchida
In Contrast of Sin
Descent Into...
Darkness
Incarnate 365
No One
Systems Overload
Vocal Test
Hollow
Micha: Those Who Fear Tomorrow
Abraxas Annihilation
Jagged Visions of My True Destiny

As the band was gathering up their gear I went up to Dwid, who was giving fans hugs and taking pictures. I asked if he had a set list, but they were already taken. He offered to write it all down for me, but I said that was alright. Then after he gave me a hug and said thanks he told me that they were going over to Aladdin Jr., the venue next door, to play some more songs. They didn't announce this during the show and I hadn't even heard about it beforehand. I couldn't believe it. Another chance to see Integrity? Count me in. So, I hung around the train station for a couple hours just passing time before heading back over to the venue. When I got over there I asked a guy if he knew who else was playing and he told me there was already a local hardcore show booked for the night and that Integrity decided to get on it since they were already there.

After a little more waiting they opened the doors. It was only $5, and when I got inside I saw Integrity getting ready. In comparison to The Glass House, Aladdin Jr. is a much more intimate venue, with a tiny stage and no barricade. A few minutes later the band was ready. There weren't many people inside, but the room turned into wall to wall chaos when they started playing. Despite the crowd being much smaller than at the first show, there was way more energy this time. The band was more in their element here. This is what I had imagined an Integrity show to be like; people screaming all of the lyrics, stage diving, and destroying each other. I was really happy they threw in "Salvations Malevolence" and "Dawn of a New Apocalypse", two of my favorites that they didn't play at the first show. Due to them being the first band, this set was shorter, but still jam packed with their best material. It was well worth waiting around for. Afterward I thanked Dwid for playing a second show. Not many bands care that much about their fans. I was pretty exhausted after Integrity, so I decided to go home instead of watching the other bands. This day was an experience for sure. Sitting here now, I still can't believe I saw Integrity twice within just a few hours.

Vocal Test
Hollow
Psychological Warfare
Salvations Malevolence
Rise
Micha: Those Who Fear Tomorrow
Dawn of a New Apocalypse
Judgement Day
Systems Overload
No One
Jagged Visions of My True Destiny

elturtleboy
05-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Wtf! That's crazy! No idea they played twice. U shouldve stayed. That line up was cool but I wasted my money on Young And In The Way merch. I thought Integrity did a cool set.Young and in the way/ringworm did the best IMO.

Sepultura69
05-20-2012, 09:44 AM
That was an amazing review. I can't believe they played at Aladdin Jr!!! I can't even imagine how chaotic it got in that little tiny place. Tregh, I have also been to Aladin jr, I've only been there once but if i'm not mistaken Aladdin jr is that small little tiny venue that is upstairs while the food/sandwhich/diner area is down stairs, hell I wouln't even really call the upstairs room a "venue"..but if i'm correct, thats the venue you attended? And theres some diner/food section downstairs? i went to Aladdin Jr for a hip hop show last years, and one thing I remember is that it was really tiny as hell and very intimate. I'm just trying to mentally imagine all that chaos that went down in that tiny little fucker while you were there.

christopher
05-20-2012, 10:49 AM
That was an amazing review. I can't believe they played at Aladdin Jr!!! I can't even imagine how chaotic it got in that little tiny place. Tregh, I have also been to Aladin jr, I've only been there once but if i'm not mistaken Aladdin jr is that small little tiny venue that is upstairs while the food/sandwhich/diner area is down stairs, hell I wouln't even really call the upstairs room a "venue"..but if i'm correct, thats the venue you attended? And theres some diner/food section downstairs? i went to Aladdin Jr for a hip hop show last years, and one thing I remember is that it was really tiny as hell and very intimate. I'm just trying to mentally imagine all that chaos that went down in that tiny little fucker while you were there.

Aladdin Jr has only one floor. The room is about the size of the Blvd.

Sepultura69
05-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Aladdin Jr has only one floor. The room is about the size of the Blvd.

Really? I saw Planet asia at Aladdin Jr in Pomona last year, I remember going up a flight of stairs to get to the room that all the music was played at, and I remember downstairs was a diner for people to order food and eat. Weird...

treghet
05-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanks man. There are actually two of them. This is the one in downtown Pomona.

treghet
05-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Somebody uploaded the whole second set to YouTube. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8dfTh2AIKc

treghet
05-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Full Ringworm set for those who are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCc07tq_e0

jd091
05-27-2012, 02:13 AM
Awesome review, btw!

treghet
05-27-2012, 02:17 AM
Thanks bro. :cool: