PDA

View Full Version : M3Fest Day 1 -- Columbia, MD -- May 11th, 2012

tenchimyo
05-13-2012, 05:07 PM
My Buddy Tony and I were pumped for M3 coming back to Merriweather Post Pavillion. We vowed to go both days this year. First up, the Kix-off party with the Kix band, Night Ranger, and Enuff Z'Nuff. Tony's a big Enuff Z'nuff fan. I'm a bit lukewarm on them. I've seen them open a couple of times. Kix I love. Night Ranger I'd never seen live before. Scalped tickets for $20@. Didn't get a chance to check out any of the merch

We got there around 6:30, hang around a bit and roll in around 6:50, when Enuff Z'Nuff was supposed to be playing (6:45). Things seemed to be running a little late- Tony theorized because of the mic/drum kit set up for Night Ranger- not many other bands have a singer/drummer.

Enuff Z'Nuff came out and was very Beatles-esque. A few of their songs would totally be hits on the radio if it was another band who did them and Chip or whomever wrote it for them. The singer looked like he was channeling John Lennon. They were alright, but I really could have done without the Beatles cover. I really dislike that song. A fun fact was that Tony was more enthusiastic than the band about their set. jeez.

Night Ranger came on and played a couple songs that I didn't expect them to (ex: Eddie..). They sounds very good. My favourites of the set: "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" and "HIGH ENOUGH." Mr Nugent and Mr Shaw and Mr Blades need to talk about a tour.

The Kix band finally came on and like always, did NOT disappoint. Something was wrong with the mix for the first couple of songs, but then it got straightened out. Pretty standard setlist from Kix. no complaints, but it would be nice to hear a deep cut :3 Steve had the bucket, the umbrella, and then the balloons all at the right times/songs. Totally worth going to see Kix and Night Ranger was a nice bonus. Enuff Znuff...well we could have just napped in the car a bit.

Enuff Z'nuff

Heaven or Hell
Kitty
Baby loves you
We're all alright
?
?
There goes my heart
Fly high Michelle
Come together (Beatles cover)
New Thing

Night Ranger

Lay it on me
Send me away
Rumors in the air
Growing up in California
The Secret of my success
Midnight madness
Keyboard interlude
Sentimental street
Eddie's comin out tonight
HIGH ENOUGH (Damn Yankees)
4 in the morning
When you Close Your Eyes
Don't Tell Me You Love Me
Sister Christian
You can still rock in America

Kix

Hot wire
Heartache
The Itch
Same Jane
Cold shower
Girl money
Don't close your eyes
No ring around Rosie
Lie like a rug
Midnight Dynamite
Cold blood
Drum soloish
Blow my fuse
Solo
Yeah yeah yeah

sarsip
05-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Great Night Ranger set. Rumors in the Air is awesome!

Nater
05-13-2012, 09:14 PM
man I have been hoping to see a DY for a few years now. they just need to do it. It's not gonna break any of their balls.

MPF
05-13-2012, 09:16 PM
I just wanna make sure I got this right......Kix HEADLINED over Night Ranger?

What Kix song is bigger then Sister Christian?

Henryperezrocks
05-13-2012, 10:54 PM
So Kix Played Blow My Fuse Twice?:lol::lol::lol:

The Ghost at Number One
05-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Not a single thing wrong with Enuff Z'Nuff. Grossly underrated band, in my opinion. How'd they sound?

gilpdawg
05-14-2012, 01:38 AM
I just wanna make sure I got this right......Kix HEADLINED over Night Ranger?

What Kix song is bigger then Sister Christian?
I think Kix is pretty big in that part of the country, relative to their anonymity everywhere else.

tenchimyo
05-14-2012, 04:27 AM
So Kix Played Blow My Fuse Twice?:lol::lol::lol:
ooops they must have really played it after cold blood. I guess I had more drinks than I thought!

tenchimyo
05-14-2012, 04:30 AM
I think Kix is pretty big in that part of the country, relative to their anonymity everywhere else.

100% correct. At least in NOVA/MD Kix is a pretty big draw. I remember last year at outlaw jam Brian Setzer headlined over them...horrible choice.

I enjoyed Night Ranger but I don't think in this area they would be a better closer than Kix

tenchimyo
05-14-2012, 04:31 AM
Not a single thing wrong with Enuff Z'Nuff. Grossly underrated band, in my opinion. How'd they sound?

I thought they sounded fine - if you like them and their beatlesesque sound then you woulda been the second most excited person there for them.

Sanitarium78
05-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Not a single thing wrong with Enuff Z'Nuff. Grossly underrated band, in my opinion.

I don't know, this is just a thought but this maybe the reason why nobody can take this band even slightly serious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-greVjUEdc

tenchimyo
05-14-2012, 07:19 AM
I don't know, this is just a thought but this maybe the reason why nobody can take this band even slightly serious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-greVjUEdc

LOL I will have to say a lot of bands have ridiculous or um...straight up bad videos like that. It was the 80s, tho

Sanitarium78
05-14-2012, 08:40 AM
LOL I will have to say a lot of bands have ridiculous or um...straight up bad videos like that. It was the 80s, tho

It's not just the bad video, it's also the bad song and the even worse image the band had for themselves. It's like they made every wrong decision they possible could. There's just no way they can ever live down how embarrassing the whole thing was.

The Ghost at Number One
05-14-2012, 10:52 AM
It's not just the bad video, it's also the bad song and the even worse image the band had for themselves. It's like they made every wrong decision they possible could. There's just no way they can ever live down how embarrassing the whole thing was.I think it's a great song, and regarding image, they were hardly the worst of the '80s hair bands.