PDA

View Full Version : Favorite (two) songs on Ride The Lightning

JRA
05-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Yep, I'm goin all the way to the Black Album.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B6qjBcHUOHc/T4l-0pZGRYI/AAAAAAAAAJM/G2OvlLRgoCY/s1600/ride.jpeg

Its hard, but I whiddled it down to Fight Fire With Fire and Creeping Death.

brutal_descent
05-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Fade to Black, man. Fade to muthafuckin' Black :lovedup: The one song that I can genuinely say has gotten me through some shit.

mankvill
05-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Fight Fire With Fire and Creeping Death.

Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls and Trapped Under Ice are close runner-ups.

John The Drummer
05-13-2012, 10:56 AM
This is hard since the entire album is full of amazing tracks. Obviously I must begin with "Fight Fire".... second pick was hard.... but "Creeping Death" will take it, one of the first songs I learned how to play!

Dextrimental
05-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Fight Fire With Fire and Fade To Black, definitely. Fade To Black was my teen angst bible and Fight Fire With Fire just gets me going every time. That said though, every song on there is top class, ending with Ktulu!? :drool:

slapguitarer
05-13-2012, 11:11 AM
First two tracks.

MPF
05-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Fight Fire With Fire and Fade To Black, definitely. Fade To Black was my teen angst bible and Fight Fire With Fire just gets me going every time. That said though, every song on there is top class, ending with Ktulu!? :drool:

Everything I was going to say.

illuminatus917
05-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Fade to Black was the best song Metallica ever wrote.

elturtleboy
05-13-2012, 11:49 AM
For Whom The Bells Toll has to be my no.1

Ride The Lightning;Fight Fire are second. But ill pick Ride today.

powerslave_85
05-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Title track and "Creeping Death."

DementedX14
05-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Ride The Lightning and Fade to Black. Best Metallica album IMO.

slapguitarer
05-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Am I the only one surprised by the mass amounts of love Fade To Black is getting?

JRA
05-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Am I the only one surprised by the mass amounts of love Fade To Black is getting?

Why wouldn't it get that much? Despite the fact that it was the first time they "went Motley Crue" its a well executed song, even with James's lack of vocal emotion.

El Gordo
05-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Fight Fire With Fire and Ride the Lightning. Best 1-2 punch to start an album ever.

slapguitarer
05-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Why wouldn't it get that much? Despite the fact that it was the first time they "went Motley Crue" its a well executed song, even with James's lack of vocal emotion.

It's not a bad song, but I feel that there are other songs on the album that would be considered classics before Fade to Black was.

Crionics
05-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Fade and Creeping.

El Gordo
05-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll bet nobody chooses Escape.

I think it's a really good song however. Unfortunately it's outclassed by all the others on the album.

Indestructible
05-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Fade To Black and Fight Fire With Fire.

kalfitegrdan
05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Gonna have to go with Ride the Lightning and Trapped Under Ice, but the second could easily go to Fight Fire with Fire, For Whom the Bell Tolls or Creeping Death depending on my mood.

mastodon421
05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
The whole album is perfect, but my two faves are For Whom The Bell Tolls and Fight Fire With Fire.

adamclark52
05-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Fade to Black, just because it's still awesome after all these years and Fight Fire With Fire because it's the song that got me into Metallica.

In highschool I knew all Metallicas singles but had never heard a full album. In 1996 they released Until It Sleeps and I hated it as much as anyone. My friend played me Fight Fire With Fire and at first I thought it was Slayer, who I loved at that point. He tells me it was Metallica and I think, "man they suck even more now than I thought". I bought Ride the Lightning later that summer.

Really, I was always a member of the "Master Of Puppets is their best album" camp, but lately I'm starting to think that Ride the Lightning may be the better album. I find myself listening to any songs off it more often when they pop up on my iPod rather than the Master of Puppets songs which I fast-forward more often than not. I've pretty much killed that album over the years.

Epidemic Reign
05-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Creeping Death

...and...

it was a tough choice between FFWF and RTL but I went with the first one :rocker:

Sanitarium78
05-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Creeping Death, the best Metallica song ever and For Whom The Bell Tolls.

makethemsuffer12
05-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Hard as fuck, but I went with Creep and Escape, since it always had a special place in my heart.

SomewhereInTime72
05-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Creeping Death and the title track. I'm hoping the reason Call is so low is because it's just everyone's 3rd favorite. :bouville:

makethemsuffer12
05-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Barely any love for TUI, Escape, and Kthulu. :(

VoidFlame
05-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Trapped Under Ice and Fight Fire with Fire. Third would have been the title track.

brutal_descent
05-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Just noticed Indestructible voted for every song on the album... good to know you can count, buddy ;)

masterguy49
05-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Fade to Black and Fight Fire with Fire. FtB has a special place in my heart, while Fight Fire with Fire is just hands down one of their best songs ever.

Fe Maiden
05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Creeping Death and For Whom The Bell Tolls.My 2 choices as well although I could have chose Fade To Black on a different day

ravenheart
05-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Most of you picking Fight Fire and Creeping Death was the most laughably predictable shit ever.

TonyD
05-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Most of you picking Fight Fire and Creeping Death was the most laughably predictable shit ever.
Jesus tittyfucking Christ, maybe because those are everyones favorite songs?

Dextrimental
05-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Jesus tittyfucking Christ, maybe because those are everyones favorite songs?

This. They're timeless classics, and there are two songs on this record which wouldn't have been as predictable as being favorites, least in my eyes, and that's Trapped Under Ice and Escape, and even then, they'd be very much acceptable.

makethemsuffer12
05-14-2012, 06:28 PM

And you picking For Whom the fucking Bell Tolls is sooo much better. :tp:

JRA
05-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Stay the fuck out of my thread.

illuminatus917
05-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Ravenheart lights the light bulb, and the moths are flying.

TonyD
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm sick of him and his Comic Book Guy bullshit.

mastodon421
05-15-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm sick of him and his Comic Book Guy bullshit.

:lol::hug: This, it's getting really, really annoying. It seems like almost every thread is derailed by some stupid, condescending comments made by him.

IrritatedTrout
05-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Creeping Death and Ride the Lightning.

Sanitarium78
05-15-2012, 07:39 AM

So, what were we suppose to pick? The songs that aren't our favorites just because it might be predictable to vote for what our favorites really are?

I'm surprised Fight Fire is in second place actually. I thought the title track, FHTBT and FTB would have more votes. I'm not the least bit surprised Creeping Death is in the lead since it is the best song on the album.

sfhui
05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
For whom the bell & Fade to for me:party:

JRA
05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
So, what were we suppose to pick? The songs that aren't our favorites just because it might be predictable to vote for what our favorites really are?

I'm surprised Fight Fire is in second place actually. I thought the title track, FHTBT and FTB would have more votes. I'm not the least bit surprised Creeping Death is in the lead since it is the best song on the album.

Yea I'm shocked Fight Fire With Fire is second place too. I figured the top two would be Fade to Black and Creeping Death.

Call of Ktulu only having 2 votes is fucking depressing though.

GarageMetal468
05-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Yea I'm shocked Fight Fire With Fire is second place too. I figured the top two would be Fade to Black and Creeping Death.

Call of Ktulu only having 2 votes is fucking depressing though.

I was one of those 2 (well, now 3)!

The other one I put was Ride the Lightning. That solo is magnificent.

BlackDiamond
05-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Picking songs from this album a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I ended up picking Creeping Death and The Call of Ktulu. Creeping Death is just a power house of a song and I never get sick of hearing it, and although Fade To Black was almost my other choice I ended up going with Ktulu, I love instrumentals but I feel Ktulu is the perfect album closer.

ImmortalEmperor
05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Well, my first vote has to be for Ride the Lightning as its the first Metallica song I ever heard back in 1984 and my introduction to the band. I went to the record store and bought the cassette :eyes: immediately. Back then I definitely would have taken Trapped Under Ice with the second pick but now I have to go with Creeping Death.

Sepultura69
05-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Fight Fire with Fire.

It is not only my favorite song off ride the lightning, but it is also my favorite metallica song of all time. There was a time in my life when I thought this was the heaviest song ever created, hell, there was a time in my life when I thought this was the most brutal, most heaviest, bone crushing song ever created. It also should be noted that this was the first song by metallica that i had heard out side the black album. I got the black album about 14 years ago and love it immensely, i will admit that the black album was also my very first metal album that i ever purchased or heard, before the black album I didn't' even know what metal is or was… pretty cliche, I know, i know. Anyways, skip a couple years later and one of my friends lends me his copy of ride the lightning because he was really upset that the only stuff by metallica that i knew was the black album. He said that i deserve to the get the shit smacked out of me for not checking out the stuff that they are actually KNOWN for, so yeah, he lent me his copy, and a couple days later i decided to give the cd a nice spin. I still remember the first time I heard Fight fire with fire. That opening explosive riff that commences right after the lame acoustic had died down. not to sound cliche, but I was literally…Blown the fuck away. I thought Fight fire with Fire as well as the entire ride the lightning album was one of the most mind blowing record I had ever heard in my life. Hell there was a time in my life when I thought metallica were gods and everyone below them are nothing but pieces of shit. That of course, all changed once I got into the greatness of such bands like Kreator, Bathory, Slayer, Sepultura, Sodom, celtic Frost, the list goes on. But deny the greatness of this record is just blasphemy and as I before and I'll say it again, metallic was the first metal band that I ever heard or checked out and they definite opened the door for me with this record to move on to more greater, complex, and just around "some what" better bands. epic album, oh and JRA once you finish doing this metallica poll shindig, you should think about doing a Slayer Poll.

Oh yeah, and Call of the Kthulu being my 2nd favorite. That intro is just so fucking haunting and eerie.....

JRA
05-20-2012, 09:27 AM
epic album, oh and JRA once you finish doing this metallica poll shindig, you should think about doing a Slayer Poll.

I was going to until you said "everyone vote for Reborn", the most boring song on that album.

Sepultura69
05-20-2012, 09:34 AM
I was going to until you said "everyone vote for Reborn", the most boring song on that album.

I need to correct you on something my friend.

JRA should make a poll for Reign in Blood, cause we all know "Reborn" is your favorite song off the album. :D;)

I never said everyone should vote for Reborn. I said that YOU will vote for reborn because it is your favorite song on the album, and if you missed the sarcastic emoticons at the end, well I was just kidding man. Obviously you wouldn't vote for Reborn, I personally don't find the song boring but it is far from my favorite song off the album. :hmm:

JRA
05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I need to correct you on something my friend.

I never said everyone should vote for Reborn. I said that YOU will vote for reborn because it is your favorite song on the album, and if you missed the sarcastic emoticons at the end, well I was just kidding man. Obviously you wouldn't vote for Reborn, I personally don't find the song boring but it is far from my favorite song off the album. :hmm:

I knew you were being sarcastic, but I misjudged the scope of it,

DisposableJustice
05-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Fade to Black and The Call of Ktulu- my favorite instrumental by them

Although I will say Bellz was the first Metallica song I heard that started my interest in them, happened to be the S&M version

Natrlhi
05-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Title track and "Creeping Death."Yup. :agree:

hellawaits77ny
05-27-2012, 04:00 AM
FFWF is my all time favorite song by any band, and Lightning is one of my favorite Metallica tunes. Still tough to choose only 2, as Creep and Ktulu are right there as well.