Gasoline Dream :rocker:
Necroshine
Old School
Wish You Were Dead
Wrecking Crew
Deny the Cross
Rotten to the Core
Fuck You

"Oh look at that BrutalN00dle went to another Overkill show". You're god damn right I did. Fifth time. Yes I'll go again, don't be stupid.

Anyway, got to the venue about an hour before doors, socialized with some internet friends (and it wasn't even creepy!), doors opened early for Jaxx*cough*Empire standards, we got in at like 6:30, show started promptly at 7. First band, Spiral Fracture, if memory serves. Passable, the joke among my friends and I was that they should introduce themselves as "We are ____, and we're better than Krass Judgement". That reminds me, Krass Judgement played too. I don't even know why, I've never personally met somebody that enjoys their music. They seemed to have completely changed their lineup since the last time I suffered through them, new lead guitarist, drummer and bassist. The unnecessary extra vocals guy still present though. I do want to point out that the bassist dude was totally fucking awesome at bass. Their music however, sucked as usual. Moving on.

Diamond Plate kicked off the tour-package, and this was their best performance I've seen (previously seen on the Warbringer headline tour). Apparently their usual frontman had a family emergency so they had a friend filling in, who performed admirably. Highlight of DP's (lol) set was the one-two punch of Relativity into Metallica's Seek & Destroy, crowd went nuts for that.

After that was Suidakra, who were just on the wrong tour. I won't say they were bad, they performed well, I just don't care for folk/"celtic" metal at all, so it did nothing for me.

God Forbid, also on the completely wrong tour. I thought they were boring as shit, but all the people that didn't have long hair or a battle-jacket seemed to disagree. Whatever.

OVERKILL. Yadda yadda Blitz was awesome, dat setlist (no Horrorscope :confused:), shred shred kill kill.

Highlight: Blitz tripping over the monitor during Elimination and totally eating shit on the fall. Fucking hilarious. He sounded fantastic though, in better health than the last Jaxxpire show and was screaming and headbanging with a vengeance. I gave my spot on the rail to some kid that had never seen Overkill before, during Rotten to the Core. Had to reap in some metal-karma as it were.

Overkill > Your favorite band. No other band combined has as much energy and power on stage than Bobby Blitz himself.

Fuck you!

street_burial
05-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Did Empire update the sound system from Jaxx? From the pictures I've seen the renovations looked fantastic. Your thoughts?

BrutalN00dle
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't think they changed much with the sound system; though I could hear Blitz rather clearly, in hindsight. I'm indifferent to the renovation except for that sheet-metal shit they stuck in front of the rail, so now there's no spot to rest your leg.

mankvill
05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
You know, I absolutely loved them and I prefer Overkill to just about every other classic thrash band, but I can't help but think that if their set was better, it'd catapult their performance from great to the best.

Edit: oh and I liked Suidakra just as much as Overkill :O

Astennu
05-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Was planning on going to this but was unable to thanks to work. How was the crowd? Decent number of people show up?

BrutalN00dle
05-12-2012, 06:18 AM
I'd say the show was nearly sold out. Crowd was actually pretty solid, there were a few dicks on my right, but it looked like they were the only ones really causing a problem.

mastodon421
05-12-2012, 06:31 AM
You know, I absolutely loved them and I prefer Overkill to just about every other classic thrash band, but I can't help but think that if their set was better, it'd catapult their performance from great to the best.

Edit: oh and I liked Suidakra just as much as Overkill :O

I disagree, but Suidakra was pretty cool. I did think God Forbid was as good as Overkill though:tongue:

mankvill
05-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I disagree, but Suidakra was pretty cool. I did think God Forbid was as good as Overkill though:tongue:

:hmm:

camby118
05-13-2012, 02:59 PM
.. did they really not play Wrecking Crew? Or are you just forgetting it?

I went to the NYC show last night and they played that set, plus Wrecking Crew as the song before Deny The Cross

tenchimyo
05-14-2012, 03:42 AM
Damn this show for conflicting with my predilection for hair bands

BrutalN00dle
05-14-2012, 02:02 PM
.. did they really not play Wrecking Crew? Or are you just forgetting it?

I went to the NYC show last night and they played that set, plus Wrecking Crew as the song before Deny The Cross

Whoops forgot it, same spot.

JRA
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Old School really needs to go.

El Gordo
05-14-2012, 03:53 PM

Yes.

Wrecking Crew
05-15-2012, 08:47 AM

Agreed. I was annoyed at first having to miss this tour after seeing the last two but the setlists are getting too similar so I don't feel as bad now. I think Overkill is getting the Rush syndrome, hopefully they will shake it up a little bit for the November tour with Megadave. If it had come to my town I still would have gone though.

camby118
05-15-2012, 08:43 PM
I always loved Old School. Highlight of the set for me, lol. I definitely prefer it to It Lives or Gasoline Dream