PDA

View Full Version : Beastie Boys co-founder Adam Yauch dead at 48

Steev
05-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Adam Yauch, one-third of the pioneering hip-hop group the Beastie Boys, has died at the age of 48, Rolling Stone has learned. Yauch, also known as MCA, had been in treatment for cancer since 2009. The rapper was diagnosed in 2009 after discovering a tumor in his salivary gland.

Yauch sat out the Beastie Boys' induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April, and his treatments delayed the release of the group's most recent album, Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2. The Beastie Boys had not performed live since the summer of 2009, and Yauch's illness prevented the group from appearing in music videos for Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2.

Yauch co-founded the Beastie Boys with Mike "Mike D" Diamond and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horowitz in 1979. The band started off as a hardcore punk group, but soon began experimenting with hip-hop. The band broke big with their first proper album, Licensed to Ill, in 1986, and further albums Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication cemented the band as a true superstar act.

In addition to his career with the Beastie Boys, Yauch was heavily involved in the movement to free Tibet and co-organized the Tibetan Freedom Concerts of the late Nineties. In 2002, he launched the film production company Oscilloscope Laboratories.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beastie-boys-co-founder-adam-yauch-dead-at-48-20120504#ixzz1tvCTbtHd

Chris_M_S
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
He was in my trifecta prediction a few weeks ago with Dick Clark and Levon Helm, but someone else took his spot. I guess we now have Yauch and Junior Seau and ???

Steev
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
of course you go on MTV's site and not only no mention but several meaningless articles on kanye and bieber

GarageMetal468
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Damn... I remember buying Licensed to Ill years ago. I'll have to give that a spin again, it's been a while. R.I.P.

powerslave_85
05-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Guess he didn't fully recover from the cancer. Man, it's been a while since a celebrity death hit me this hard :( :(

http://m.tmz.com/article_head.ftl?id=http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/04/beastie-boys-adam-yauch-dead/

ravenheart
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20295

ShatteredFlame
05-04-2012, 10:26 AM
A Tragedy :(

ShatteredFlame
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
First celebrity death in the past few years to make me sad :(

JRA
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Guess he didn't fully recover from the cancer. Man, it's been a while since a celebrity death hit me this hard :( :(

http://m.tmz.com/article_head.ftl?id=http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/04/beastie-boys-adam-yauch-dead/

Holy fucking shit!!

I'm not even that big of a fan and this is rough for me too.

elturtleboy
05-04-2012, 11:01 AM
My favorite BB. I'm fuckin bummed. RIP

smearCampaign
05-04-2012, 11:26 AM
A true legend. RIP

mankvill
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Beastie Boys are probably the most consistently good hip-hop group of all time. RIP

Sepultura69
05-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I bought two tickets to go see the Beastie Boys with my ex girlfriend in 2009, we were suppose to go see them in september of 2009 at the Rose bowl in Hollywood. I still remember when I first found out adam got cancer, I was devastated, and then I returned my two tickets for a refund. I still remember buying those tickets back in 2009, we were huge beastie boys fanatics and counting down the day that we both go together to see them at the Rose bowl in hollywood. After refunding my two tickets I always wondered time to time(even up till about last week)how adam was doing and when the beastie boys would be back in full force.

I am in total shock to say the least. I can't believe this. Wow..

just, wow..

I'm pretty bummed...

:(

Steev
05-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I saw them once at a radio festival in 2004(where they for some reason went on before The Strokes) the Beasties totally stole the show

may not have agreed with all their political statements, but a nevertheless a huge talent and a loss that will be felt

MPF
05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
:( R.I.P.

BloodoftheKings
05-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Seriously bummed about this. When my friend texted me this a few hours ago I kept trying to tell myself he was just fucking with me. Similar to when Dio died this comes as a complete shock to me because in the past year it seemed he beat cancer and was doing fine.

R.I.P. :(

Sepultura69
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Seriously bummed about this. When my friend texted me this a few hours ago I kept trying to tell myself he was just fucking with me. Similar to when Dio died this comes as a complete shock to me because in the past year it seemed he beat cancer and was doing fine.

R.I.P. :(

yeah, i remember back in 2009 adam said they caught it early or something, and that it was very treatable, things were looking good. Makes me think of Tony iommi now... :eyes: :hecho::hecho:

Dextrimental
05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Serious bummer.. First verse of Fight For Your Right was me during my last year of secondary school (your high school).. I never researched too much into their music, but they were on my gig bucket list, and I always respected what they did for rap and hip hop back in the day.. R.I.P dude!

Travis The Dragon
05-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm in total shock and sadness right now. R.I.P.

DisposableJustice
05-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Damn

That sucks, I am not a huge BB fan but I always enjoyed when their songs came on the radio, and like Wizard in Black 666 said one of the best hip hop groups imo

RIP

SirLardsAlot
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
So sad. :( All I can think is it's nice that he got to see his group immortalized through their Rock and Roll Fall of Fame induction last month. R.I.P. MCA.

mastodon421
05-04-2012, 05:43 PM
R.I.P MCA, he is a legend and he will be sorely missed in the hip-hop community.

anomynous
05-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Beastie Boys should do one more tour w/ MCA's parts played as a backing track, then retire.

I feel like that would be a fitting way to go out while paying tribute to MCA (who was my favorite)

electrocute1031
05-05-2012, 04:48 AM
RIP MCA :(

John The Drummer
05-05-2012, 08:26 AM
RIP :(
I remember my brother had a Beastie Boys CD back in the day and I'd always take it and listen to it.

In honor of MCA, me and my friend want to start a blackened rap group and call it "Bestial Boys"

300%_Density
05-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I will flip out if I even hear of a rumor of a hologram of MCA IF Beastie Boys even attempt a tour to honor MCA.

RIP: Very sad

TonyD
05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of him being 47, 48, and 49.

treghet
05-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of him being 47, 48, and 49.

Same here. :lol:

DementedX14
05-05-2012, 05:30 PM
R.I.P. MCA. :(

Sepultura69
05-05-2012, 09:02 PM
:( :( :(

"Celebrities are taking to Twitter to mourn the loss of The Beastie Boys’ Adam Yauch, who lost his battle with cancer on Friday.

Here are some of the thoughts stars are sharing about “MCA” and his musical legacy:

Cypress Hill : "Beastie boys embraced us & took us on our first major tour. We have nothin but love, respect & appreciation. We'll always remember r bro MCA"

Snoop Dogg: “RIP MCA U are a Legend and a pioneer. #BeastieBoys4Life.”

Justin Timberlake: “Crushed to hear the news of Adam Yauch’s passing. A true pioneer of art. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.#RIPMCA.”

Fred Durst: “A very sad day indeed. Adam Yauch RIP.”

Cypress Hill: “Deepest condolences 2 the family of Adam Yauch & the Beastie Boys. Adam was the coolest dude ever& will b missed but memory will live on.”

John Favreau: “#RIPMCA.”

Benji Madden: “This news hits hard. The Beastie Boys are 1of the reasons I do music&MCA was the captain. Thanx for everythin MCA. Rest in Peace.”

Nina Garcia: ”I thank everyone for your patience, and letting me speak my mind.” Adam Yauch #RIPMCA.”

Michelle Branch: “Just heard about Adam Yauch. Beyond bummed. So so so sad.”

Lance Armstrong: “Crushed to hear the news of Adam Yauch’s passing. #RIPMCA.”

Josh Groban: “Oh no. This just sucks beyond measure. RIP MCA.”

Ice T: “Another very sad day in Hip Hop. #MCARIP.”

Duran Duran: “Rest in Peace Adam Yauch. Our condolences to your friends and family.”

Q Tip: “RIP Yauch and thank u Mike and Adam n Adam 4 all of your help, the tours, the bball games, n great times. a humanitarian a tru friend.”

Common: “God Bless the soul of Adam Yauch aka MCA of the Beastie Boys. RIP.”

Boy George: “Such sad news about Beastie Boy Adam Yauch. A fellow Buddhist and part of hip hop history!! R.I.P!”

Carson Daly: “God Bless his family.”

Russell Simmons: “Adam was incredibly sweet and the most sensitive artist who I loved dearly. I was always inspired by his work. He will be missed by all of us.”

Bryan Greenberg: “SAD! The Beasties helped mold me. As a teen my bedroom was covered with their posters. R.I.P.# AdamYauch the Buddhist Beastie Philosopher.”

Eli Roth: “RIP Adam Yauch.”

will.i.am: “#restinpeaceMCA 1 of my favorite hiphop groups…hiphop raised a lot of us & now we have to wake up because are hero’s are dying too younge.”

Run DMC: “R I P Adam… I’m devastated. Praying for Adam Yauch’s family from the legendary Beastie Boys. Youll be missed!”

Milla Jovovich: “We lost one of our greatest talents today. my prayers and thoughts go out to the family and friends of Adam Yauch. Beastie Boys for life.”

Pete Wentz: “Beastie boys paved the way for so many who came after.”

Rainn Wilson: “RIP Adam Yauch (MCA of the Beastie Boys). He was a super-genius, a visionary and, most importantly, a really good person.”

Adam Shankman: “Thank you MCA and rest in peace. Ill always fight for my right to party.”

Mandy Moore: “Sending energy and light to Adam Yauch’s loved ones.”

Samantha Ronson: “Wow- RIP Adam Yauch- #MCA.”

Jamie Kennedy: “Rest in Peace Adam Yauch. He made everything a little more Beastie. No MCA, no B-Rad.”

Lenny Kravitz: “Rest in peace MCA. You are a legend. No sleep ’till Brooklyn. Lenny.”

Jonah Hill: “I’m filled with so much sorrow to hear about the world losing Adam Yauch. He was such a beautiful person and artist. My heart is broken.”

Mindy Kaling: “Such sad news about Adam Yauch. What an artist, in every discipline.”

Ben Stiller: “So sad that Adam Yauch is gone. A truly great musician & filmmaker. He stood for integrity as an artist. What a loss. He was a very good man.”

Zachary Quinto: “An artist and a seeker has departed us. peace to adam yauch. now i will go pandora the shit out of the beastie boys. and be grateful.”

Gwyneth Paltrow: “MCA Forever.”

http://www.gossipcop.com/celebrities-react-adam-yauch-death-beastie-boys-reactions-twitter/

:(

powerslave_85
05-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Beastie Boys should do one more tour w/ MCA's parts played as a backing track, then retire.

I feel like that would be a fitting way to go out while paying tribute to MCA (who was my favorite)Never happen. Never.

Gwyneth Paltrow: “MCA Forever.”Shut the fuck up, Gwyneth Paltrow.

kalfitegrdan
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Shut the fuck up, Gwyneth Paltrow.

:lol:

hellawaits77ny
05-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Such a shame. RIP MCA

Natrlhi
05-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I've been out of the loop for about a week and a half or so (ironically, part of it was due to the passing of a close family member due to cancer), and I just heard about this. RIP MCA, and prayers & love to his family. :light:

I'll always have fond memories of seeing them live at Lollapalooza in '94. They were my favorite performance of the day, and that includes Smashing Pumkins, who were the headliner for the evening. The Beasties were off the fucking chain, and the crowd absolutely loved the hell out of them. :lovedup: