PDA

View Full Version : RoadRunner Records Records to close UK and Canada offices and CEO steps down‎

DementedX14
04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Roadrunner Records is to close its UK and Canada offices, and is making huge cuts across its worldwide operation.

The label, home to artists such as Atreyu, Juliette Lewis, Korn, Murderdolls and Nickelback, will close UK offices in the next few weeks, with the label's Canada and Germany offices to suffer a similar fate.

This latest news comes as another huge blow to the rock music industry, following the loss of Sonisphere festival from this year's summer circuit.

The record label is said to be hoping to continue in a smaller form, but at inevitable great impact to the many artists on their current roster.

Roadrunner Records, which has been in operation since 1980, is a division of Warner Music and has long pioneered rock music and breaking new metal bands, including early releases from Metallica.

Also, In a changing of the guard at Roadrunner Records, founder/CEO Cees Wessels is leaving the label 17 months after the completion of its sale to the Warner Music Group. Concurrent with his departure, approximately 36 staffers worldwide were let go today (April 26), sources tell Billboard.biz. The exact number was unclear at press time.

Concurrent with his departure, the label is being realigned so that it will utilize the Warner Music Group for back-office and other support capabilities while retaining frontline label functions like A&R, marketing, promotion and publicity.

In the U.S., Roadrunner will continue to operate as a standalone frontline label, although 16 staffers in the States are losing their jobs.

Internationally, Roadrunner's staff will continue to carry out some label functions, such as marketing, promo and publicity. Other responsibilities, principally support functions, will be carried out by Warner Music teams, which means that 20 staffers will lose their jobs.

Roadrunner, which continues to be a strong brand in rock music, will continue to have personnel in every territory it does currently, with the exception of the Netherlands office, which is being shuttered. Wessels founded the label in the Netherlands in 1980.

Longtime label President Jonas Nachsin, who has served in that role since 1999, will remain on staff.

Two Sources:
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels/layoffs-at-roadrunner-records-founder-ceo-1006893352.story

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/industry_news/roadrunner_records_to_close_uk_and_canada_offices. html

MPF
04-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Very shitty but I did see this coming a mile away when Warner Brothers bought Roadrunner. Buy a smaller business then yours, let it carry on for a bit then boom, liquidize all you need.

Not much will change from this honestly besides some good people losing their jobs. The strongest bands will survive.

And to anyone who says this is about illegal downloading, as a man who is not in favor of Piracy, I know that's not what caused this at all.

mankvill
04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
The label, home to artists such as Atreyu, Juliette Lewis, Korn, Murderdolls and Nickelback,

haha

MPF
04-27-2012, 03:56 PM
^ In a sense, that's what helped Roadrunner downsize!

Nater
04-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Maybe this was part of the reason Devildriver decided to find a new label. They might have seen what was going on

treghet
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Roadrunner was a great label years ago, releasing now classic albums by King Diamond, Obituary, Sepultura, Pestilence, and many more. But I can't say I really care about this, as their current roster is pathetic. I do feel bad for the people who lost their jobs though.

ravenheart
04-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeah, that awful, awful roster which includes Dream Theater, Megadeth, KISS, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Opeth, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Rob Zombie... total crap :tp:

Nevertheless, I've felt Roadrunner have been a detriment to metal music for some time now, and I'm not sad to see them go at all.

And on a slightly unrelated point, what an appallingly written article. Is that seriously all it takes to be a writer at Billboard?

brutal_descent
04-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Yeah, that awful, awful roster which includes Dream Theater, Megadeth, KISS, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Opeth, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Rob Zombie... total crap :tp:

Not to mention Rush!

detuned
04-28-2012, 08:07 AM
first post is not the linked billboard article

and roadrunner isnt going anywhere

ravenheart
04-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Not to mention Rush!

I try not to ;)

ravenheart
04-28-2012, 08:14 AM
first post is not the linked billboard article

and roadrunner isnt going anywhere

Paragraph six of the first post onwards is the Billboard article verbatim.

RR will end up being what they were always going to end up being once WMG bought them. A brand, not a label. This is just the next step towards that.

detuned
04-28-2012, 08:27 AM
hah, paragraph six on IS the billboard article, inexplicably omitting the first paragraph of it. some high quality message board posting right there.

treghet
04-28-2012, 01:09 PM

It really is when you consider 90% of the bands either suck or haven't been relevant for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roadrunner_Records_artists

ravenheart
04-28-2012, 04:23 PM
It really is when you consider 90% of the bands either suck or haven't been relevant for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roadrunner_Records_artists

Hardly. Especially given how out of date that list is.

Really, when stacked up against practically every other roster of labels of a similar size, it's really not that much worse. The whole "Roadrunner used to be awesome but now they suck because they have Nickelback" thing is getting as old and recycled as "Metallica sold out with the Black Album".

Roadrunner's problem has never been their roster. It's been pretending they're still indie when they've been bankrolled by majors for years (Sony before WMG), and promoting a culture of vacuous teen fans who know nothing and listen to who they're told to.

Dextrimental
04-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Roadrunner's problem has never been their roster. It's been pretending they're still indie when they've been bankrolled by majors for years (Sony before WMG), and promoting a culture of vacuous teen fans who know nothing and listen to who they're told to.

This. Swore by Roadrunner in my teens, but since really got sick about how 'metal' and 'true' they labelled themselves as, when they were CLEARLY a major label.

Their roster includes Slipknot, Megadeth, Lamb of God, Black Label Society and Nickelback. In other words, bands who sell to the mainstream metal scene. Pretty bummed to hear this, but those offices will go on to be re-used by WMG I'd imagine, those guys have plans to use that space.

adamclark52
04-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Roadrunner was a great label years ago, releasing now classic albums by King Diamond, Obituary, Sepultura, Pestilence, and many more. But I can't say I really care about this, as their current roster is pathetic. I do feel bad for the people who lost their jobs though.

That's pretty much how I feel.

JRA
04-28-2012, 05:50 PM

Nevertheless, I've felt Roadrunner have been a detriment to metal music for some time now, and I'm not sad to see them go at all.

And on a slightly unrelated point, what an appallingly written article. Is that seriously all it takes to be a writer at Billboard?

Billboard writers are only above dweebies and below retards on the intellect food chain.

treghet
04-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Hardly. Especially given how out of date that list is.

Really, when stacked up against practically every other roster of labels of a similar size, it's really not that much worse. The whole "Roadrunner used to be awesome but now they suck because they have Nickelback" thing is getting as old and recycled as "Metallica sold out with the Black Album".

Then you must have low standards. I'm not sure where you're getting that the list is out of date, I looked on the RoadRunner sites and it appears to be pretty accurate. And saying that Roadrunner isn't much worse than other labels their size doesn't really help your argument.

ravenheart
04-29-2012, 03:28 AM
Then you must have low standards. I'm not sure where you're getting that the list is out of date, I looked on the RoadRunner sites and it appears to be pretty accurate. And saying that Roadrunner isn't much worse than other labels their size doesn't really help your argument.

It helps mine far more than it helps yours. All estimations of quality of anything only have relevance when there's something comparable, otherwise good and bad don't mean anything. And compared to other comparable labels, RR's roster isn't that bad, and never has been. People just love hating on their flagship bands and laying the blame on those bands for the decline of the label. Also... I'm sure quite a few people had a little chuckle at someone suggesting I have low standards when it comes to music :lol: Kudos at least for the comedy.

Anyway, on the list out of date thing, Grand Magus, Pain, Gojira, Daath, Throwdown, Heaven & Hell (for obvious reasons), Dragonforce are all not with them anymore. That's just the ones I know off the top of my head and not including the ones who aren't actually signed to them and just license their stuff to make use of their distribution network (like BLS), or the ones I'm don't recall ever being signed to them (Alter Bridge). I'm sure if I researched the ones I don't follow I'd find more. Pretty sure I heard Megadeth are going to leave as well.

As for the quality of what's left, with a quick scan I counted around 30 bands I'd take from that list over most of what's on most other metal labels' rosters. Including several that are noted board favourites here.

I do find it amusing that people are only too happy to say "yeah, they suck, they don't have any good bands, fuck Nickelback, aaargh!! But my favourite band is with them."

As I said, I think Roadrunner have been a problem for a long time. But the problem isn't, and never has been, their roster. It was always more of an attitudinal thing with them, and the influence they exerted doing it.

treghet
04-29-2012, 05:31 AM
It helps mine far more than it helps yours. All estimations of quality of anything only have relevance when there's something comparable, otherwise good and bad don't mean anything.

Your argument is saying that Roadrunner isn't that bad because other labels of their stature are bad too. You can compare horse shit to cow shit and one might smell worse than the other, but they're both still shit.

And compared to other comparable labels, RR's roster isn't that bad, and never has been. People just love hating on their flagship bands and laying the blame on those bands for the decline of the label.

You first said Roadrunner wasn't that much worse, now you're saying they aren't as bad? I'm not hating any specific band and I'm not blaming any of them for the decline of the label, so I don't know why you're bringing that up. It was somebody else who mentioned Nickelback and the other bands, not me.

Also... I'm sure quite a few people had a little chuckle at someone suggesting I have low standards when it comes to music :lol: Kudos at least for the comedy.

I didn't say for music, I meant for what constitutes a good roster. You mentioned some of the bands you enjoy on their roster, however those bands make up only a small portion of it. If having a few great bands and a plethora of weaker ones makes a good roster, then yes, those are low standards.

Anyway, on the list out of date thing, Grand Magus, Pain, Gojira, Daath, Throwdown, Heaven & Hell (for obvious reasons), Dragonforce are all not with them anymore. That's just the ones I know off the top of my head and not including the ones who aren't actually signed to them and just license their stuff to make use of their distribution network (like BLS), or the ones I'm don't recall ever being signed to them (Alter Bridge). I'm sure if I researched the ones I don't follow I'd find more. Pretty sure I heard Megadeth are going to leave as well.

That actually eliminates a lot of the stronger bands. I thought Gojira's new album was coming out on Roadrunner though?

As for the quality of what's left, with a quick scan I counted around 30 bands I'd take from that list over most of what's on most other metal labels' rosters. Including several that are noted board favourites here.

And we'll have to disagree on this. Yes, there are some board favorites, like Mastodon and Opeth, but there are many other metal labels I prefer.

I do find it amusing that people are only too happy to say "yeah, they suck, they don't have any good bands, fuck Nickelback, aaargh!! But my favourite band is with them."

I assume this is just a generalization, since I never mentioned Nickelback or any favorite bands.

As I said, I think Roadrunner have been a problem for a long time. But the problem isn't, and never has been, their roster. It was always more of an attitudinal thing with them, and the influence they exerted doing it.

I agree the way they market their bands is a problem, but to me the roster is as well. For the most part they're not thinking forward, they're just signing bands they know will sell albums. For example, of course I love Megadeth, but there's no denying they are well past their prime. I enjoyed a couple songs on Endgame, but overall I felt it was an extremely mediocre album, and thus not relevant to me. I feel the same way about recent Dream Theater. If they signed more bands like Gojira and Mastodon I think their roster would be good. Both of them are at the top of their game creativity wise and they are accessible to mainstream metal fans.

TonyD
04-29-2012, 06:49 AM
What did Roadrunner ever have to do with Metallica?

AnthG
04-29-2012, 08:36 AM
This is probably a really, really stupid question, but can someone explain to me what the closing of specific regional offices means to the bands that are on Roadrunner themselves? Does this mean that with the Canadian, UK, and German offices being closed that Roadrunner won't be able to distribute there anymore? That Warner Music themselves will just distribute there? That they can't just sign bands from those areas, or have to find some other means to sign bands from there? Or will this have no direct effect on the bands and just make it harder to promote, market, or just do any of their activities in those territories? (e.g. will Roadrunner US now have to handle promotion and marketing stuff in Canada, another European office having to help out in the UK, etc.)

The main reason i'm asking is because a lot of the bands mentioned only are signed to Roadrunner for distribution in certain territories. I know Roadrunner doesn't handle Nickelback in Canada. Bands like Lamb of God, Mastodon, and Shadows Fall have never been with Roadrunner for North American distribution (to my knowledge at least). For bands that are signed with Roadrunner for worldwide distribution, does that mean they have to sign with new labels to get their albums out in Canada and the UK, or do the other existing offices have to just do more work in order for that to happen (that's kind of the same question in the first paragraph, but yeah)?

What did Roadrunner ever have to do with Metallica?

Haha, beat me right to it. I thought they pretty much went from Megaforce right to Elektra after Ride the Lightning or something.