Crack The Skye
All The Heavy Lifting
Spectrelight
Curl Of The Burl
Bedazzled Fingernails
Aqua Dementia
Blood And Thunder
The Sparrow

I wasn't planning on going to this show but my brother called and said he scored 9 free VIP passes so I decided to blow off class and check it out. Ghost were pretty cool, Opeth were pretty dull, Mastodon were pretty "CHECK OUT OUR NEW ALBUM"

Best part of the show was meeting this chick in a Mercyful Fate shirt and scoring her number.

Natrlhi
04-11-2012, 05:26 AM
"The Sparrow" as a set closer? That's just fucked.

As an album closer, sure. Why not. It fits.

But as the last song of the night at a live show? Really? For that matter, why even play the song live at all?

:baffled:

IrritatedTrout
04-11-2012, 05:33 AM
Great Mastodon set, just wish they'd either find the time to add Creature Lives or drop Aqua Dementia for it so we have the whole album being played. Plus Hand of Stone is a great deep cut.

girnny777
04-11-2012, 06:01 AM
I should also mention that the crowd was dead the entire night until Blood and Thunder was played. Then they died again during The Sparrow.

Kataklysm420
04-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Harvest was not played, Windowpane was in that spot. I'm not sure how people can keep making this mistake, Make sure you know what song's were played if your going to list them.

ShatteredFlame
04-11-2012, 06:11 AM
I should also mention that the crowd was dead the entire night until Blood and Thunder was played.

:lol: Pretty much what I was expecting. Not a fan of Ghost, Heritage or the last three Mastodon albums but I figured I'd go nuts for Blood and Thunder. I almost went with a friend who wanted to go but he decided that we better save our money so I stayed home.

Windowpane would've been nice to hear though.

girnny777
04-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Harvest was not played, Windowpane was in that spot. I'm not sure how people can keep making this mistake, Make sure you know what song's were played if your going to list them.

Shit, you're right, I'm fucking retarded. That's what I get for not looking before I copied and pasted.

girnny777
04-11-2012, 06:24 AM
:lol: Pretty much what I was expecting. Not a fan of Ghost, Heritage or the last three Mastodon albums but I figured I'd go nuts for Blood and Thunder. I almost went with a friend who wanted to go but he decided that we better save our money so I stayed home.

Windowpane would've been nice to hear though.

You made the right choice. Did I mention $9 beers? Ugh...

Also, you aren't a Blood Mountain fan? That album kills.

Coma323
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Was nice to finally hear Windowpaine but other than that I preferred Opeth's set last fall, even though I'm not a big Heritage fan. Deliverance is always fun to hear live but I could go without The Grand Conjuration. Esp last night as it sounded like shit from where I was.

Mastodon were also way better the last time they played Boston. Not too mention the crowd was terrible.

MPF
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I swear I'm the only guy who isn't disappointed by the setlists on this tour so far.

Thanatos88
04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
The more I look at that Mastodon set list the more disappointed I get.

I know this is a minority opinion here but at least I dig the Opeth setlist.

DrPogo
04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
I swear I'm the only guy who isn't disappointed by the setlists on this tour so far.

Like usual, you and I are in agreement.

When those albums came out, we heard those songs, people bitched.

Next album cones out, we heard those songs, people bitched.

Next album comes out, we DON'T hear those songs, people bitched.

For fucks sake...I love metal.

Everyone: Tonight on XBox 360 Live: Revolver Golden Gods Awards...Free.

larvtard
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Like usual, you and I are in agreement.

When those albums came out, we heard those songs, people bitched.

Next album cones out, we heard those songs, people bitched.

Next album comes out, we DON'T hear those songs, people bitched.

For fucks sake...I love metal.

Everyone: Tonight on XBox 360 Live: Revolver Golden Gods Awards...Free.

You're off to a great start here, buddy.

IrritatedTrout
04-11-2012, 05:32 PM

I don;t know anything from Opeth except Face of Melinda and The Lotus Eaters so I would have liked to hear those but I'm not too worried about it. I am with you on the Mastodon set though, I'm stoked for it. A 17 song set with 13 songs I've never heard before? Yes, please. Just disappointed Sleeping Giant isn't in there. I've yet to see that one.

DrPogo
04-11-2012, 08:16 PM
You're off to a great start here, buddy.

Well, not sure if your breaking my balls or not, but either way I appreciate it lol, if alone for the reason that you didn't fanboy/blabbermouth my opinion, haha.

Yeah, I read Blabbermouth ...sometimes daily...talk about people bitching!

Fuck...I love metal.

UPDATE: Golden Gods Awards are also streaming on facebook. You just have to hit "Like"

MPF
04-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Well, not sure if your breaking my balls or not, but either way I appreciate it lol, if alone for the reason that you didn't fanboy/blabbermouth my opinion, haha.

Fuck...I love metal.

UPDATE: Golden Gods Awards are also streaming on facebook. You just have to hit "Like"

Pretty sure it's ballbusting, but since we agree, so fuck it!

TonyD
04-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Shit I just broke down and looked at Mastodon's set... wish I hadn't now, Hand Of Stone came from out of nowhere, and The Sparrow as a closer is a huge surprise.

masterguy49
04-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Fuck...I love metal.

Fuck.

I love metal.

DrPogo
04-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Fuck.

I love metal.

Your email address tells me something different: JPOPSTARLEEKSPIN@LIVEJOURNAL.COM!

And don't give me that crap about you made it when you were 12, like I tell people when they question smacknotsic12, either!

Nuki nuki nuki nuki nuki!!

masterguy49
04-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Your email address tells me something different: JPOPSTARLEEKSPIN@LIVEJOURNAL.COM!

And don't give me that crap about you made it when you were 12, like I tell people when they question smacknotsic12, either!

Nuki nuki nuki nuki nuki!!

:lol: I did it all for the NUKI. THE NUKI. SO YOU COULD TAKE THAT COOKIE AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR-

DrPogo
04-12-2012, 08:40 AM
:lol: I did it all for the NUKI. THE NUKI. SO YOU COULD TAKE THAT COOKIE AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR-

Lol, im glad you laughed at that and didn't start a whole cutthroat forum war with me where we exchange "u mad bro's" and "*insert band name of setlist one of us posts* suck, f4gg0t!!11!1!1!! Thought you liked m3t4l!'s"

Hmmmm...im undecided on the which emoticon/smiley to end this with.

DrPogo
04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
For masterguy...

Because you were nuki'd, you have to, nay YOU MUST endure The Great Experiment...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-07OFkPE97k&v=-07OFkPE97k&gl=US

masterguy49
04-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Lol, im glad you laughed at that and didn't start a whole cutthroat forum war with me where we exchange "u mad bro's" and "*insert band name of setlist one of us posts* suck, f4gg0t!!11!1!1!! Thought you liked m3t4l!'s"

Hmmmm...im undecided on the which emoticon/smiley to end this with.
Nah I don't care to do that shit with people on the internet :lol:

For masterguy...

Because you were nuki'd, you have to, nay YOU MUST endure The Great Experiment...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-07OFkPE97k&v=-07OFkPE97k&gl=US

...what?

mankvill
04-13-2012, 01:51 PM
For masterguy...

Are you that fucking asshole Frank Zappa freak who keeps coming back to insult people?

If not, carry on.

DrPogo
04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Are you that fucking asshole Frank Zappa freak who keeps coming back to insult people?

If not, carry on.

Lol, what? I like me thelike occasional Zappa, but I highly doubt it. I don't get in fights with people on the internet. Plus here, most like me, from what I've gathered lol.

rosettastoned729
05-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Excuse me for being a bit late to the party on this one, but I saw this thread and felt the need to reminisce about what would have very easily been "concert of the year" for me if it weren't for Tool...and Agalloch, if they live up to my expectations, but that's later in the year. Anyway, as the set's already been posted, I won't bother, but long review time:

Got to the venue about a half an hour to 45 minutes before Ghost went on. We had "Early Entry" passes, which were really a way for LiveNation or whoever the ticketing outlet was (can't remember) to make an extra $5. Basically, the wrong time for doors was printed on the tickets, so we get there "early" and people are already starting to pour into the venue. However, we were still early enough to buy merch and get up close in what was a very intimate, small, and rather nice venue anyway. On to the bands.

Ghost shocked the s*** out of me. The only thing I'd heard of them before the gig was a live video of "Elizabeth", where I'd thought the robes/costumes were cheesy and the music sounded straight out of the 80's, which I didn't like, as admittedly, I'm a 70's guy, and then a 90's-present guy, but more selectively and mostly with extreme metal in the latter period. Fact is, not only can they PLAY, but their music, if anything, has a 70's/Sabbath/Blue Oyster Cult vibe, which I began to appreciate after seeing them live. Plus, the costumes, which are in actuality disguises, did wonders for them from an appearance perspective in person. Made me appreciate their quest for retained anonymity that much more when I saw it "work". Weird how something can appear cheesy one place and have a totally different feel when looked at a bit closer. Also, I was indeed happy they played "Elizabeth" as they were cutting their set even shorter for some shows.

Opeth, to me, stole the night. I'm a huge prog nerd, so I guess I may be in the minority when I say I adore "Heritage". It was my favorite album for a long time and 2nd best of the year for me aside from Steven Wilson's "Grace for Drowning". So, personally, I didn't mind a proggier approach to the start of the set one bit. That said, "The Grand Conjuration" was probably the best live song I'd heard by any band...until I heard "Deliverance". Unreal stuff, and glad I got to hear a touch of the growls, seeing as this is only my 2nd time seeing these guys, with the last one being on the 2011 tour, which I also happened to enjoy.

Mastodon didn't do much for me. My family and friends who attended with me tried to stick it out through their set, but we all left during "Curl of the Burl". I do regret missing "Blood and Thunder", but their sound (musically) has just always been too "busy" for my tastes, and while Opeth and Ghost sounded phenomenal (sonically) Mastodon was muddy and loud. I go to metal shows all the time and they were not, under any circumstances, even close to too loud, or the loudest I've heard, but if a band wants to be mixed that loud and get my support these days, they also have to be mixed clearly. I think it has to do with how pristine the mix was when I saw Porcupine Tree at Radio City in 2010. Now I place every show next to that one and compare and analyze the hell out of the mix, even though I don't intend to. However (and I don't mean to upset any fans by saying this), I don't think Brann Dailor helps their case in the slightest. The other guys are amazing players, and his playing is just so busy. Way too busy. He overplays, and it showed live, too. I'm not bashing them or him, as he's their drummer and that's that, but with a different, slightly more groove-oriented drummer, I'd enjoy their studio recordings a bit more as well.

Overall, I'd give the night as a whole an 8.5/10, as Ghost needed to play a lot more (maybe even their full album, plus their Beatles cover), Opeth a bit more (though I was happy with the length for being co-headliners), and Mastodon less (just my opinion). But the first two bands were just f***ing perfect by my standards, so none of my nitpicks can affect my rating that badly.