PDA

View Full Version : Opeth -- Boston, MA -- April 5th, 2012

electrocute1031
04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Ghost was up first, and they sounded great. Seemed like only a few people in the crowd knew who they were before hand. However they got a pretty decent crowd response. For stage set up they had the three "satanic stained glass" backdrops.
Ghost:
Con Clavi Con Dio
Elizabeth
Prime Mover
Death Knell
Satan Prayer
Ritual

Up next was Mastodon. They had some slight technical problems, most notably when they had to restart Crack the Skye due to Brent's guitar going out. Otherwise they sounded spot on. I loved hearing most of the Hunter songs played live, and most of the crowd seemed into it as well. I only heard a couple complaints that they played "too much new stuff":
Black Tongue
Hand Of Stone
Crystal Skull
Capillarian Crest
Dry Bone Valley
Thickening
Octopus Has No Friends:party:
Blasteroid
Stargasm
The Hunter
Crack The Skye
All The Heavy Lifting
Spectrelight
Curl Of The Burl
Bedazzled Fingernails
Aqua Dementia:rocker:
Blood And Thunder
Creature Lives:bliss:

After Mastodon a few people cleared out near me, however looking around the theater everyone was sticking around for Opeth. They got the best crowd response of the night, with an Opeth chant when the lights went down. Opeth were great. Mikael's stage banter was great as always, including asking the audience if the band Boston was from Boston, and saying how Sweden won because they have ABBA. I was pleased with the Opeth setlist, I forgot how amazing Deliverance is to end a set with:
The Devil's Orchard
I Feel The Dark
Windowpane:light:
Slither
Burden:light:
The Lines In My Hand
Folklore
The Grand Conjuration:rocker:
Deliverance:drool:

Ghost:9/10
Mastodon:9.5/10
Opeth:9.5/10

mankvill
04-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Please only put the headliner in the thread title! :( <3 thanks!

slapguitarer
04-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Hand Of Stone
Octopus Has No Friends:party:
Stargasm
The Hunter

Why do I have to miss this?! I'm mainly upset about missing Hand of Stone. That song is killer.

makethemsuffer12
04-06-2012, 06:28 PM
So stoked for this show next week in NYC.

BloodoftheKings
04-06-2012, 06:29 PM

They're both the headliner.

mankvill
04-06-2012, 06:34 PM
They're both the headliner.

Whoever plays last of a co-headliner should be the one in the title. Two artists in the title mess it up when it goes into archiving.

electrocute1031
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM

sorry about that. fixed

electrocute1031
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM

sorry about that.

Pahkmycah
04-06-2012, 08:02 PM
The crowd response for Opeth was great when they first took the stage, but it seemed to diminish a bit as the show went on, people sitting down here and there. The crowd REALLY woke up once they started with The Grand Conjuration.

electrocute1031
04-07-2012, 05:51 AM
The crowd response for Opeth was great when they first took the stage, but it seemed to diminish a bit as the show went on, people sitting down here and there. The crowd REALLY woke up once they started with The Grand Conjuration.

That's true, my girlfriend and I sat down for most of the set, just chilling out listening to the music. I figured some of the people were doing the same thing as us.

treghet
04-07-2012, 06:02 AM
I was hoping Opeth would be able to add another song when they headlined, but I guess not. On the other hand, the LA date is extremely overpriced, so it's good I'm not tempted to go.

detuned
04-07-2012, 06:54 AM
ghost's entire boston set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq6XDX47Acs
same user also has mastodon and opeth vids

and then this user has a great angle of a few mastodon songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/moussecasey

dcmetal108
04-07-2012, 07:56 AM
ghost's entire boston set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq6XDX47Acs
same user also has mastodon and opeth vids

and then this user has a great angle of a few mastodon songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/moussecasey

:party::party::party::party::party:

Frankthetank727
04-07-2012, 09:37 AM
That's true, my girlfriend and I sat down for most of the set, just chilling out listening to the music. I figured some of the people were doing the same thing as us.

When I saw Opeth at the Palladium for that first leg of the Heritage tour in the fall, this happened do but even to a worse degree. People started out enthused but once everyone figured out (after like 4 songs or so) that they were only playing not interesting songs, people could not figure out how to react. They were all like "should I mosh?" "do I head bang?" "Do i dance?" It was really strange. It's upsetting to see that they haven't even shifted their set to include about half and half of heavy/non-heavy material. They still seem to be doing that 70/30 ratio. Oh well.