PDA

View Full Version : Mastodon -- Portland, ME -- April 4th, 2012

detuned
04-04-2012, 09:13 PM
The Heritage Hunter Tour (opening night)
Venue: The State Theatre

MASTODON (10:00-11:20)

Black Tongue
Hand Of Stone
Crystal Skull
Capillarian Crest
Dry Bone Valley
Thickening
Octopus Has No Friends
Blasteroid
Stargasm
The Hunter
Crack The Skye
All The Heavy Lifting
Spectrelight
Curl Of The Burl
Bedazzled Fingernails
Aqua Dementia
Blood And Thunder
Creature Lives

OPETH (8:20-9:35)

The Devil's Orchard
I Feel The Dark
Windowpane
Slither
Burden
The Lines In My Hand
Folklore
The Grand Conjuration
Deliverance

GHOST (7:30-8:00)

Con Clavi Con Dio
Elizabeth
Prime Mover
Death Knell
Satan Prayer (extended)
Ritual

kept track on my phone and am 99% sure these are accurate (admittedly I'm bad with Opeth song titles)
edit: ok should be 100% now with confirmation that it was Burden not Harvest

InFlamesOfBirchmen
04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I can't thank you enough. I've been checking the site habitually for the past 3 hours hoping for updates. Pretty standard setlists by all (though I love the inclusion of Capillarian Crest early in the set) but I still can't wait to see the tour! Also, longer Ghost set, please.

BloodoftheKings
04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
The Mastodon set is very standard but I cant complain cause I haven't seen them since The Hunter came out.

detuned
04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
whoops, forgot blasteroid

that wasnt a standard set at all

every hunter song except for the sparrow

dont think they have played hand of stone in forever

no remission at all. have they ever NOT played march of the fire ants?

im sure itll piss many people off, but ive seen these guys so much at this point that i welcome drastically different sets, so i absolutely loved it

MPF
04-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I can't complain about any of these set.s Its perfect in my eyes. Every song I wanted to see live.

bigguytoo9
04-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Pretty boring Mastodon set IMO, im not a huge fan of Crack The Skye or The Hunter. Saw them twice for Leviathan and I dont think another viewing is an order. As for Opeth's set it's nothing special either, Deliverance is a treat though. Not a Ghost fan so no comment on that. Glad im skipping this tour.

Kataklysm420
04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
They played Burden and not Harvest

Phil709
04-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks for these set lists!

I think Ghost should be able to play their entire album in their allotted set time. I was really hoping for the Here Comes the Sun cover but oh well. I suppose they can always play it in future shows. I really want to buy their t-shirt with the album cover on it; did you see it at the merchandise stand by any chance?

No complaints about Opeth. I am more of a casual fan and not too familiar with their albums or songs but I pretty much love everything I hear by them, even the stuff from Heritage. They have this aura of musical professionalism onstage so I'm sure I'll be happy with their show.

And as for Mastodon, I couldn't be more happier that they are playing almost all of The Hunter (12/13 songs), which is one of my favorite albums from 2011. I hope the set list doesn't change too much on the dates when they aren't headlining, though I doubt it will since Opeth and Mastodon seem to play for the same amount of time either way.

Can't wait for this show!

MetalIsArt
04-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't care for Mastodon, but that Ghost is on every tour bill amazes me a 1000 times more.

DisasterPiece120
04-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Them playing Octopus and Stargasm makes me upset I'm missing this monday

detuned
04-05-2012, 03:50 AM
were you there? this is exactly why i said 99% sure, thought it was burden during the show, got home and referred to the set lists last week, both were played, and when listening back to back i felt it was harvest.

IrritatedTrout
04-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Great Mastodon set! If it stays the same I'll be choosing this tour over Megadeth on May 9th.

ravenheart
04-05-2012, 04:57 AM
Will be pretty happy if Mastodon keep that setlist through the Summer.

IrritatedTrout
04-05-2012, 04:58 AM
What was merch like? Did any of the other band members come out for Creature Lives?

detuned
04-05-2012, 05:06 AM
haha, was really hoping ghost would come out in their cloaks for creature lives, but no one came out

didnt pay too close attention to the merch since i never buy shirts, but my dad remarked that they were cheaper than the last tour. i do remember mastodon having a hoodie for $50. there was maybe 4 different shirt designs?

detuned
04-05-2012, 05:21 AM
oh and also, i dont know if it was just a random thing or something they intend to do regularly, but i got in line about 45 minutes before doors, and a few minutes later a woman came out and randomly pulled people out of line to go in and meet mastodon.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
04-05-2012, 05:33 AM
oh and also, i dont know if it was just a random thing or something they intend to do regularly, but i got in line about 45 minutes before doors, and a few minutes later a woman came out and randomly pulled people out of line to go in and meet mastodon.

They usually hang around the venue before the doors open. When I saw them on the BlackDiamondSkye tour, Brann and Brent were just hanging in front of the gate watching the people in line.

detuned
04-05-2012, 06:08 AM
well yeah, not incredibly difficult to meet them otherwise (ran into brent on my way to the venue, brann walked through the crowd before ghost), but if you want to meet them all at once, get a poster, autographs and what not, the possibility may be there if you are in line early.

RampinUp46
04-05-2012, 07:49 AM

:mad:

DementedX14
04-05-2012, 08:01 AM
The Opeth setlist is too short!:flame: Where's The Drapery Falls??

VoidFlame
04-05-2012, 08:21 AM
:boohoo:The Opeth setlist is too short!:flame: Where's The Drapery Falls??

THIS!!! :boohoo:

RampinUp46
04-05-2012, 08:48 AM
The Opeth setlist is too short!:flame: Where's The Drapery Falls??

You have to remember that this is the Mastodon headlining setlist. Opeth headlines a few of these dates as well, so the setlist is bound to be longer for them.

DementedX14
04-05-2012, 08:55 AM
You have to remember that this is the Mastodon headlining setlist. Opeth headlines a few of these dates as well, so the setlist is bound to be longer for them.

They are not headlining here in Chicago.

detuned
04-05-2012, 09:11 AM
its co-headlining, both bands are supposed to do about 70 each, regardless of who closes. both of them going over last night could have been just been because it was the first show and misestimating what they could fit into the allotted time. or maybe they changed their mind and decided to give whoever closes a little more. we shall see after tonights show, which is opeth closing.

petrovar
04-05-2012, 09:16 AM

They are both headlining sets though. The set times are basically the same. Plus Opeth's songs are longer. Deliverance and Grand Conjuration combined are basically the length of six songs or so.

IrritatedTrout
04-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Plus a lot of The Hunter songs are short. I really hope the sets don't change when Opeth closes. I sure as fuck don't wanna miss any of that Mastoset (except maybe Aqua Dementia) for freakin Opeth.

MetalIsArt
04-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Plus a lot of The Hunter songs are short. I really hope the sets don't change when Opeth closes. I sure as fuck don't wanna miss any of that Mastoset (except maybe Aqua Dementia) for freakin Opeth.

Omg, am I the only one here who can't stand Mastoverratatodon? :violin:

mankvill
04-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Aqua Dementia is one of my top live Mastodong songs :mad:

petrovar
04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Aqua Dementia is one of my top live Mastodong songs :mad:

Word

Kataklysm420
04-05-2012, 11:10 AM
were you there? this is exactly why i said 99% sure, thought it was burden during the show, got home and referred to the set lists last week, both were played, and when listening back to back i felt it was harvest.

According to Setlist FM. It shows Harvest as being played and then 3 minutes later it was edited and harvest was edited out and burden was changed into his place. The setlist for this thread dosent show BOTH harvest/burden being played nor does it on Setlist Fm. Burden was played and not Harvest. I wish it was the other way around but it's not.

detuned
04-05-2012, 11:55 AM
already taken care of, actually was unknowingly commenting on facebook along with the guy who corrected the setlists.fm entry, realized he was the guy, and then made sure he was sure. apologizes for the initial mistake.

excellent photos from the night: http://photos.tomcouture.com/120404

Polock91
04-05-2012, 02:50 PM
these sets are awful. Clean Opeth is cool and all, but Grand Conjuration is the worst song they've ever written, by far, and Deliverance, as much as I love that song, is WAY too overplayed to be one of TWO heavy songs they play.

That's about as disappointing of a Mastodon set as I could have seen. I'm honestly not a big fan of the Hunter. I'm not really sure how well it'll transfer live. And to play nothing from Remission is ridiculous. I understand not wanting to play March anymore, but PLAY SOMETHING ELSE. Crusher Destroyer? Mother Puncher? C'mon. 2 songs from Leviathan is also absolutely unacceptable. The last time I saw them was on the Crack the Sky tour. The only song I've heard them play from that record for the last 2 shows is Aqua Dementia. I love Aqua Dementia, but for FUCK'S SAKE, give me SOMETHING that isn't that or Blood and Thunder. This is just getting ridiculous...

I remember seeing them on the Blood Mountain tour and they played Hearts Alive. No one will probably every hear that song live again, unless, somewhere down the road, they decide to do a Leviathan anniversary tour and play the whole album.

Thanatos88
04-05-2012, 02:54 PM
According to this photo: http://photos.tomcouture.com/p1071698285/e164a2ca7 Ghost also played Stand By Him. :party:

So it seems like they are only cutting out Genesis and Here Comes The Sun from the headliner set they were playing. Not much by any means but it hurts a little since those are amazing songs. I'll never get over missing their headlining run :bawling:

On another note, I am disappointed in the Mastodon setlist. I think there is a handful of weak songs on The Hunter and unfortunately for me they are playing them all. Would it have killed them to throw in some Remission songs?

detuned
04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
hmm, i really dont think they played stand by him, but fuck, these songs are so ingrained in my memory plus the show was just nonstop mindblowing awesomeness, that im not even sure if i can trust what i think i remember. of course i already deleted the notes i was taking.

Rocco44
04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Pretty boring Mastodon set IMO, im not a huge fan of Crack The Skye or The Hunter. Saw them twice for Leviathan and I dont think another viewing is an order. As for Opeth's set it's nothing special either, Deliverance is a treat though. Not a Ghost fan so no comment on that. Glad im skipping this tour.

This pretty much. Glad I saved my money.

MPF
04-05-2012, 07:11 PM
I guess seeing Mastodon in 2009 and the set they played was what made me happy about this set. It's entirely different which is what I want out of a band. And with Opeth. There isn't any shitty songs being played. Also, Ghost is GHOST so there's not complaining involved.

treghet
04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
And with Opeth. There isn't any shitty songs being played.

:eyes:

MPF
04-05-2012, 07:23 PM
:eyes:

The only thing close is Folklore. Otherwise I like all those songs from Heritage.

Again I'm spoiled with Opeth, I saw them twice (2006 and 2008) so except for the song Deliverance, I've seen almost all the songs I want to hear live. and since they are doing Deliverance, I'm a happy guy.

(I do wanna hear Hope Leaves though)

treghet
04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I saw them on the 20th anniversary tour, so I'd say I'm a bit more spoiled than you. :tongue:

MPF
04-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I saw them on the 20th anniversary tour, so I'd say I'm a bit more spoiled than you. :tongue:

Touche. But regardless. I'm happy with this setlist. I couldn't complained if I tried.

Mastodon, Opeth and Ghost, all in one night. Yup. Triple Dip Cream Dream for me.

masterguy49
04-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Touche. But regardless. I'm happy with this setlist. I couldn't complained if I tried.

Mastodon, Opeth and Ghost, all in one night. Yup. Triple Dip Cream Dream for me.

....wat :lol:

Too much Hunter doe

MPF
04-05-2012, 09:14 PM
....wat :lol:

Too much Hunter doe

I See what you did thar!

Rocco44
04-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Oh yeah, I was at that show too and I'll raise you the Chronology show :tongue: haha

Cross Face Chicken Wing
04-06-2012, 04:08 AM

I assume you're going to the show at the Brick? Hopefully we can actually see the bands. I've heard nothing but horror stories about that place, especially about the horrible sightlines and overcrowding.

MPF
04-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I assume you're going to the show at the Brick? Hopefully we can actually see the bands. I've heard nothing but horror stories about that place, especially about the horrible sightlines and overcrowding.

Yup I'll be there. Ive heard those stories as well. but only about the Jane's Addiction show that happened, where they actually refunded back everyone's ticket.

Haven't heard any since.

They should have known better when they converted a Christian Music venue into a mainstream venue.

Kataklysm420
04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Can someone touch base on what merch was all there?

InFlamesOfBirchmen
04-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh yeah, I was at that show too and I'll raise you the Chronology show :tongue: haha

Seriously man, screw you :bouville: