PDA

View Full Version : The Black Dahlia Murder -- Chicago, IL -- March 27th, 2012

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Well this is the greatest set and show I've ever seen from a band. Also without a doubt one of the happiest nights of my life. Also booyah , JD and I got to see the last Black Dahlia Murder show at the Bottomlounge! (More on that later)

I ended up getting to the venue around 4:40 or so. Got there earlier than expected but there was already around 50 people in line. So got in line and during my time outside met some random metal heads and discussed everything from all the summer festivals, new death metal bands, Italian death metal, the best female vocalists in metal, and how great this show would be. Also got to watch as various members of Skeletonwitch and Nile walked around outside.

So at 5:30 the doors finally opened and everyone was starting to be let inside. The second I got in I went to look at merch and was pretty disappointed. Only band that had patches was Black Dahlia and there's was $5.00. So I bought that then continued looking. Skeletonwitch had some cool shirts for $20 I think and they had all their albums on the newly released limited edition vinyl for $20.00 a piece. Nile had their latest album and latest EP for $10 a piece and one vinyl for $20. Hour of Penance had their new cd for $12 and shirts for $15. Or both for $25. Their shirts weren't that great.

So after my merch adventure I got a text from Garagemetal (Dan) saying that him and kalfitegrdan (Zach) were there. So I went back and met them and we hung around till Hour Of Penance started.

So at 6:00 we see Hour Of Penance come on stage and everyone moves to the stage. Note that the venue is barely packed yet. Now they were good and all but fall victim to the opening slot syndrome where no one was really in the venue yet. There really wasn't any pits for them, a few people slamming for 15 second intervals. Their lead singer/guitarist though is bone skinny and needs some food though it appears. Also in between songs he would banter random things and songs titles but his accent was so heavy you could barely understand him. They were good though and I know they'll be around again soon. Also the entire time they were playing I have JD texting me worrying he was going to miss them and how he really wanted to see them. Now me being a good friend I sent him a picture and he did make it for them, just right as they were walking offstage. He missed them by maybe 2 minutes max.

So after talking to JD and Zack for a bit it was time for the witch! Skeletonwitch that is. Surprising their lead singer wasn't completely wasted. I stayed dead center about 10 feet from the stage and they put on a great show. The lead singer has great energy and stage presence and was constantly high fiving, clapping, raising his beer with others, and even giving people the mic to scream into. The pits were decent and I got into them some but mainly stood and watch. Of course for me though "Beyond The Permafrost" was my greatest part of their set.

So after them it was back to talking to JD and Zack, and Dan and since Nile was next up we got on the topic of them and JD told me about the band, its members, how their sound is, what to expect. I had only recently listened to them so his words about them helped. Garagemetal also pointed out how their one member kinda looked like Devin Townsend. Onto the band though they started late because they couldn't get the guitars working or something along that line. Plus their drum set took up about half the stage. That kit is monstrous. Now Nile might be the heaviest sounding band I've ever saw live. Also they made me into one big fan. For their music being so technical and such they all make it look so easy. Their screams and growls sounded brutal and they were all having the time of their life. I really look forward to hopefully seeing them again soon. Also when they were over they had to have the crowd move from the stage since the drum kit was so big they had to take it down by lifting it off the stage. On a side note too, the second Nile started I just see JD run into the crowd and practically spear some guy to get the pit started. He's crazy.

When they were over though it was time for Zach and Dan to leave (man they missed a show) and JD and myself prepared for what we thought would be a crazy show but was something I never expected.

Quick note : Bottomlounge has a very strick NO STAGEDIVING / NO CROWDSURFING rule. It's horrible but they throw you out if you do it. Only recently did they enforce that rule also.

So the lights dim and "A Shrine To Madness" starts playing and the crowd goes insane. Right away the pit goes insane. Just everyone pushing forward, moshing, slamming, and everything. I stayed about 10 feet from the stage dead center singing every word. After that I continued moshing and eventually found a place about 10 feet from the stage on the right side. Thats when it happened. Now remember how Bottomlounge has that terrible rule. Well security was horrible last night. They were constantly grabbing everyone by the throat and dragging them along to the point of hurting people. Not only doing this to people who were really doing nothing wrong but to girls as well as kids underage. Trevor and Ryan started noticing this so when they'd see someone crowdsurfing towards the stage and security would run up on stage to attack Ryan would jump in front of them and Trevor would help them up and let them jump. After a few times security started getting mad and the guy pushed Ryan and mouthed off it looked. No later did that happen that I see Ryan grab the guy by the shirt, punch him in the face, and actually throw him off the stage. Now that made the crowd insane. Also made the band insane as Trevor had the biggest smile on his face. After the song you could see management for the venue talking to the bands management and Ryan and Trevor got called over quickly. Trevor comes back and says "Well it looks like after this we'll never be allowed back. But who cares. Theres other venues that will love us and we'll always find a place to play for you". They then bust into their next song but oh wait Ryan isn't even playing. He's on the side of the stage going face to face with security. Now can we guess who won? Security ended up backing down and walking away. Which then led to the next few songs where I got to watch Trevor and Ryan flick security off and watch Ryan constantly mouthing FU to them. Throughout the set the guys constantly were poking fun of security and Trevor kept doing chicken dances near them. After that security refused to be on stage by him and the band took this as their chance to really just make everyone go over the top. Crowdsurfers and stagediving was nearly nonstop. Also during a song Trevor grabbed my hand and like held onto it.

Now during one of the songs Trevor gets offstage on my side and I look and he's heading right into my path. Now I'm about to scream like a school girl with him just being that close to be. Now he walks to be, pats my back, gives me a hug, and keeps his arm around me, next thing I know he puts the mic in my face and let's me scream a verse with him! OMG! I was almost in tears of joy. After that he gave me another hug and pat on the back on went straight into the pit. After a while he got back on stage. Also he stagedives a ton.

Also there a guy in on of those electronic wheelchairs doing the circle pit and eventually he was crowd surfing in it which had like tons of BDM's crew rush the stage to help and made the band crack up. Also show was suppose to be over at 9:30 but ran late and got over about 10:00. Ryan was like "Due to your legislator since alot of you are minors we were suppose to end a while ago, I know the rule is stupid, but we still have a few songs left so don't worry." After they got done everyone stayed on stage and I got high fives and grabbed hands with each member multiple times.

Overall BDM put on the most energetic show I've ever saw and with everything that happened this is the most fun I've ever had at a show. I got to shake hands with my favorite band of all time, I got to sing a verse with my idol, I got to mosh with him, and it was a great time. Only weird thing is they didn't play Statutory Ape!!!!

After the show I went back to merch and bought a BDM shirt with $15. It's like a baseball t-shirt thats says BDM on the front and has a cartoon picture of the statutory ape on the front and on the back it says "Blast Fiends" and the number 12. Overall a cool shirt. And I looked by the Skeletonwitch and the guitarists and drummer were hanging out there so I walked up to the drummer and asked for a picture. Handed some random my phone to take a picture and he's like "Oh I took a few" so I go to look and idiot didn't take any. Thankfully my good friend JD was with me and was able to take another picture and once I told the drummer what happened he was super cool and more than happy to take a few more pictures. Like I said before BDM gave the most enjoyable energetic fun show I've ever seen, and I've gained so many memories from this show.

Picture Of Me And The Drummer Of Skeletonwitch (http://dcmetal108.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/wp_000960.jpg)

I only have the Nile and BDM setlist since JD and I just remembered parts and put them together. Dan has the Hour Of Penenace set and Skeletonwitch set. Thanks to Dan for those sets!

Hour of Penance:

Sedition Through Scorn
Paradogma
Absence of Truth
Slavery In a Deaf Decay
Ascension
Decimate the Ancestry of the Only God
Misconception

Skeletonwitch:

Erased and Forgotten
Submit to the Suffering
Reduced to the Failure of Prayer
This Horrifying Force (The Desire to Kill)
Beyond the Permafrost
Of Ash and Torment
Crushed Beyond Dust
Shredding Sacred Flesh
Within My Blood

Nile :

Kafir!
Sacrifice Unto Sebek
Hittite Dung Incantation
Ithyphallic
Sarcophagus
Permitting the Noble Dead to Descend to the Underworld
Lashed to the Slave Stick
Black Seeds of Vengeance

BDM:

A Shrine to Madness
Moonlight Equilibrium
What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse
A Vulgar Picture
Malenchantments of the Necrosphere
Conspiring With the Damned
Necropolis
Den of the Picquerist
Carbonized in Cruciform
Everything Went Black
Miasma
On Stirring Seas of Salted Blood
I Will Return
Blood in the Ink
Deathmask Divine
Funeral Thirst

makethemsuffer12
03-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Well this is the greatest set and show I've ever seen from a band. Also without a doubt one of the happiest nights of my life. Also booyah , JD and I got to see the last Black Dahlia Murder show at the Bottomlounge! (More on that later)

I ended up getting to the venue around 4:40 or so. Got there earlier than expected but there was already around 50 people in line. So got in line and during my time outside met some random metal heads and discussed everything from all the summer festivals, new death metal bands, Italian death metal, the best female vocalists in metal, and how great this show would be. Also got to watch as various members of Skeletonwitch and Nile walked around outside.

So at 5:30 the doors finally opened and everyone was starting to be let inside. The second I got in I went to look at merch and was pretty disappointed. Only band that had patches was Black Dahlia and there's was $5.00. So I bought that then continued looking. Skeletonwitch had some cool shirts for $20 I think and they had all their albums on the newly released limited edition vinyl for $20.00 a piece. Nile had their latest album and latest EP for $10 a piece and one vinyl for $20. Hour of Penance had their new cd for $12 and shirts for $15. Or both for $25. Their shirts weren't that great.

So after my merch adventure I got a text from Garagemetal (Dan) saying that him kalfitegrdan (Zach) were there. So I went back and met them and we hung around till Hour Of Penance started.

So at 6:00 we see Hour Of Penance come on stage and everyone moves to the stage. Note that the venue is barely packed yet. Now they were good and all but fall victim to the opening slot syndrome where no one was really in the venue yet. There really wasn't any pits for them, a few people slamming for 15 second intervals. Their lead singer/guitarist though is bone skinny and needs some food though it appears. Also in between songs he would banter random things and songs titles but his accent was so heavy you could barely understand him. They were good though and I know they'll be around again soon. Also the entire time they were playing I have JD texting me worrying he was going to miss them and how he really wanted to see them. Now me being a good friend I sent him a picture and he did make it for them, just right as they were walking offstage. He missed them by maybe 2 minutes max.

So after talking to JD and Zack for a bit it was time for the witch! Skeletonwitch that is. Surprising their lead singer wasn't completely wasted. I stayed dead center about 10 feet from the stage and they put on a great show. The lead singer has great energy and stage presence and was constantly high fiving, clapping, raising his beer with others, and even giving people the mic to scream into. The pits were decent and I got into them some but mainly stood and watch. Of course for me though "Beyond The Permafrost" was my greatest part of their set.

So after them it was back to talking to JD and Zack, and Dan and since Nile was next up we got on the topic of them and JD told me about the band, its members, how their sound is, what to expect. I had only recently listened to them so his words about them helped. Garagemetal also pointed out how their one member kinda looked like Devin Townsend. Onto the band though they started late because they couldn't get the guitars working or something along that line. Plus their drum set took up about half the stage. That kit is monstrous. Now Nile might be the heaviest sounding band I've ever saw live. Also they made me into one big fan. For their music being so technical and such they all make it look so easy. Their screams and growls sounded brutal and they were all having the time of their life. I really look forward to hopefully seeing them again soon. Also when they were over they had to have the crowd move from the stage since the drum kit was so big they had to take it down by lifting it off the stage. On a side note too, the second Nile started I just see JD run into the crowd and practically spear some guy to get the pit started. He's crazy.

When they were over though it was time for Zach and Dan to leave (man they missed a show) and JD and myself prepared for what we thought would be a crazy show but was something I never expected.

Quick note : Bottomlounge has a very strick NO STAGEDIVING / NO CROWDSURFING rule. It's horrible but they throw you out if you do it. Only recently did they enforce that rule also.

So the lights dime and "A Shrine To Madness" starts playing and the crowd goes insane. Right away the pit goes insane. Just everyone pushing forward, moshing, slamming, and everything. I stayed about 10 feet from the stage dead center singing every word. After that I continued moshing and eventually found a place about 10 feet from the stage on the right side. Thats when it happened. Now remember how Bottomlounge has that terrible rule. Well security was horrible last night. They were constantly grabbing everyone by the throat and dragging them along to the point of hurting people. Not only doing this to people who were really doing nothing wrong but to girls as well as kids underage. Trevor and Ryan started noticing this so when they'd see someone crowdsurfing towards the stage and security would run up on stage to attack Ryan would jump in front of them and Trevor would help them up and let them jump. After a few times security started getting mad and the guy pushed Ryan and mouthed off it looked. No later did that happen that I see Ryan drop the guy by the shirt, punch him in the face, and actually throw him off the stage. Now that made the crowd insane. Also made the band insane as Trevor had the biggest smile on his face. After the song you could see management for the venue talking to the bands management and Ryan and Trevor got called over quickly. Trevor comes back and says "Well it looks like after this we'll never be allowed back. But who cares. Theres other venues that will love us and we'll always find a place to play for you". They then bust into their next song but oh wait Ryan isn't even playing. He's on the side of the stage going face to face with security. Now can we guess who won? Security ended up backing down and walking away. Which then led to the next few songs where I got to watch Trevor and Ryan flick security off and watch Ryan constantly mouthing FU to them. After that security refused to be on stage by him and the band took this as their chance to really just make everyone go over the top. Crowdsurfers and stagediving was nearly nonstop. Also during a song Trevor grabbed my hand and like held onto it.

Now during one of the songs Trevor gets offstage on my side and I look and he's heading right into my path. Now I'm about to scream like a school girl with him just being that close to be. Now he walks to be, pats my back, gives me a hug, and keeps his arm around me, next thing I know he puts the mic in my face and let's me scream a verse with him! OMG! I was almost in tears of joy. After that he gave me another hug and pat on the back on went straight into the pit. After a while he got back on stage. Also he stagedives a ton.

Also there a guy in on of those electronic wheelchairs doing the circle pit and eventually he was crowd surfing in it which had like tons of BDM's crew rush the stage to help and made the band crack up. Also show was suppose to be over at 9:30 but ran late and got over about 10:00. Ryan was like "Due to your legislator since alot of you are minors we were suppose to end a while ago, I know the rule is stupid, but we still have a few songs left so don't worry." After they got done everyone stayed on stage and I got high fives and grabbed hands with each member multiple times.

Overall BDM put on the most energetic show I've ever saw and with everything that happened this is the most fun I've ever had at a show. I got to shake hands with my favorite band of all time, I got to sing a verse with my idol, I got to mosh with him, and it was a great time. Only weird thing is they didn't play Statutory Ape!!!!

After the show I went back to merch and bought a BDM shirt with $15. It's like a baseball t-shirt thats says BDM on the front and has a cartoon picture of the statutory ape on the front and on the back it says "Blast Fiends" and the number 12. Overall a cool shirt. And I looked by the Skeletonwitch and the guitarists and drummer were hanging out there so I walked up to the drummer and asked for a picture. Handed some random my phone to take a picture and he's like "Oh I took a few" so I go to look and idiot didn't take any. Thankfully my good friend JD was with me and was able to take another picture and once I told the drummer what happened he was super cool and more than happy to take a few more pictures. Like I said before BDM gave the most enjoyable energetic fun show I've ever seen, and I've gained so many memories from this show.

I only have the Nile and BDM setlist since JD and I just remembered parts and put them together. Dan has the Hour Of Penenace set and Skeletonwitch set.

Nile :

Kafir!
Sacrifice Unto Sebek
Hittite Dung Incantation
Ithyphallic
Sarcophagus
Permitting the Noble Dead to Descend to the Underworld
Lashed to the Slave Stick
Black Seeds of Vengeance

BDM:

A Shrine to Madness
Moonlight Equilibrium
What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse
A Vulgar Picture
Malenchantments of the Necrosphere
Conspiring With the Damned
Necropolis
Den of the Picquerist
Carbonized in Cruciform
Everything Went Black
Miasma
On Stirring Seas of Salted Blood
I Will Return
Blood in the Ink
Deathmask Divine
Funeral Thirst
For those who want to read without the pic screwing everything up. ;)

EDIT: nvm you already fixed it :(

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Yea I fixed it right after I saw it screw up lol. Almost a 2000 word read.

TiradesOfTruth
03-28-2012, 04:21 PM
That sounds like a fucking sick show and I thought my show was crazy lol.

moobys37
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
That's a great Nile set for the time they had. So glad I got a headlining set though :D

kalfitegrdan
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Finally! And oh my god! So fucking pissed I missed Ryan decking a security guard.

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
This review took me like a hour to write lol.

GarageMetal468
03-28-2012, 04:28 PM
My god. I wish I could've stayed to see security at one of my most loathed Chicago venues get fucking rocked. Fuck Bottom Lounge and fuck all the people that work there. Hopefully word gets out that BL is indeed a shitty fucking place to not only see a show at, but play at as well and they never get shows again. No doubt about it, Nile's set got cut short thanks to Bottom Lounge's usual treating of any band that isn't the headliner like shit. And from the looks of it, they still treated BDM like shit! But yeah, it was awesome meeting you, man. I had a great time for Nile, Skeletonwitch (2 years to see them again, well worth the wait!) and Hour of Penance. I'm glad I made it to the show altogether!

Here are the other 2 sets:

Hour of Penance:

Sedition Through Scorn
Paradogma
Absence of Truth
Slavery In a Deaf Decay
Ascension
Decimate the Ancestry of the Only God
Misconception

Skeletonwitch:

Erased and Forgotten
Submit to the Suffering
Reduced to the Failure of Prayer
This Horrifying Force (The Desire to Kill)
Beyond the Permafrost
Of Ash and Torment
Crushed Beyond Dust
Shredding Sacred Flesh
Within My Blood

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Awesome meeting you too! We'll meet again at a show sometime soon.

And Yeah I'm actually thinking about emailing the owner of the Bottomlounge to tell him my 2cents lol.

And yeah for most of BDM's set they had their roadies doing all stage work.

AnataFan4Life
03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Wish this tour was coming near me =(

llama lom
03-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Goddamn I missed quite the show! Fuck BL anyways, I prefer Reggie's.

GarageMetal468
03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Goddamn I missed quite the show! Fuck BL anyways, I prefer Reggie's.

Atta boy!

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Atta boy!

Yea only bad thing is if they went back to Reggies then there is no stagediving or crowdsurfing at all. We need a venue that has no rules that isn't the POS that is Mojoes.

GarageMetal468
03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Yea only bad thing is if they went back to Reggies then there is no stagediving or crowdsurfing at all. We need a venue that has no rules that isn't the POS that is Mojoes.

That's fine seeing as how everything else that's awesome about Reggies, pretty much no other bigger venue in Chicago has.

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Yea Reggies is great but alot of the fun last night was how interactive the band was with the crowd. BEST SHOW EVER!

OraclesofAgony
03-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Good to see that only two songs were cut from the Hour of Penance set from the off dates, and that they still played Slavery in a Deaf Decay. Looking forward to next Thursday. :D

larvtard
03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
This guy Ryan has a fucking ego trip it seems. I'm all for stage-diving and crowd-surfing but you gotta respect the people doing their jobs.

GarageMetal468
03-28-2012, 06:09 PM
This guy Ryan has a fucking ego trip it seems. I'm all for stage-diving and crowd-surfing but you gotta respect the people doing their jobs.

No. You have no idea how big of pricks the people at Bottom Lounge are. It's understandable if they're doing their jobs, but grabbing people by the throat and hurting them? There's no justification for that.

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Ryan is extremely down to earth. Its just after security pushed him around and cussed him out on top of them grabbing a underage girl by the throat that he lost it. If he wouldn't have done it Trevor would have. And we've all seen Trevor knock someone out before.

BDM are the most down to earth people you'll ever meet and they have more respect for their fans than anyone.

Also theres a difference between doing your job right and abusing your power and purposing trying to hurt people. I've seen BDM at various venues so I know they treat security nice. At HOB Ryan was making jokes with security and giving them all high fives and handshakes. So it was clearly this security wannabe tough guy that made Ryan stand up for the band and the fans.

I mean the venue was treating the band like shit anyway.

larvtard
03-28-2012, 06:14 PM
No. You have no idea how big of pricks the people at Bottom Lounge are. It's understandable if they're doing their jobs, but grabbing people by the throat and hurting them? There's no justification for that.

Well, I assumed DC was being metaphorical. The security actually grabbed the people by their throats?! :eek:

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Yes, they were actually grabbing people by their throats. No fuckin' lies.

Thats why Ryan went apeshit on their ass.

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
So I decided to email many of the managers at Bottomlounge. Care to read.

Hi,

I'd like to write your venue (this email is being sent to the person in charge of production and marketing/publicity as well as general info) about the Black Dahlia Murder show that took place Tuesday night March 27th,2012. During the show (mainly Black Dahlia Murder) I'd like to address how unprofessional your security was. I know your venue has the no stagediving / no crowdsurfing rule. Every venue has that rule but from how your security handled the show was uncalled for and extremely unprofessional. During the show I saw your employees grab patrons by the neck and drag them, on top of being overly aggressive to patrons who were posing no threat at all. Now this is not pertaining to just grown men that they were acting this way towards as I saw them act this was towards young kids as well girls.

Now you wonder why the band in such a extreme manner towards your security as they watched not only your employees disrespect the crowd but also disrespect them. Logically what threat does a young girl have when trying to just have fun at a show that she has to be grabbed by the neck and dragged off stage. Now I wouldn't just send this email to you without having many experiences at not only your venue but many other rock venues around the city and state. From what I saw though during your show was shocking and appalling though to think that the Bottom lounge condones that kind of ruthless aggression onto their patrons from security. The patrons that are not only paying to be there and have a good time but the same patrons that you would hopefully like to come back in the future for shows.

From what I saw though at that show I'm doubtful to ever come back as well as many people I know. From what I've seen online already many people at that show are now doubtful to ever come back to the venue as well as the bands that were playing. Why want to come back to a place to experience a good time when you know that the people there won't treat you with respect. Take note from other venues on how to handle a crowd or don't have shows there where you know the crowd has the potential to be wild. Next month you have a two day hardcore fest titled "The Rumble" coming to your venue. How do expect to control all the fans coming to that show knowing that the majority of them will attempt to stagedive and that the bands will openly encourage it.

In the future please learn to either employ security that knows what to do in a situation like that or stop having metal shows. I'll say it again, what I saw that night was the most unprofessional thing I've ever witnessed. The venue and everyone associated with it should take notice of what happened and make 100% sure that it never happens again for not only the sake of the venue but for the sake of the patrons inside. What would happen if when one of your security members grabbed someone the wrong way or mistreated them to the point where they were hurt. That would be a major lawsuit.

Overall though I do hope after reading this letter you can notice what went wrong that night and attempt to fix it. As much as I'd like to come back for future shows and recommend the venue I just can't knowing that there is a chance that the employees will mistreat me or others. Why take the chance when there are so many other venues that are known for treated their patrons right.

Thanks,

Alex

GarageMetal468
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Excellent. And I don't think I'll be going to Behemoth anymore just so I don't support these fucks. A lot of people wonder why I hate the Bottom Lounge so much... this is a perfect example.

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I know I have to work during Behemoth so they don't get my money.

I really do want to see The Rumble and Oceano there though. Why do they have to suck!!!

And Garagemetal , have they always been like this?

GarageMetal468
03-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I know I have to work during Behemoth so they don't get my money.

I really do want to see The Rumble and Oceano there though. Why do they have to suck!!!

And Garagemetal , have they always been like this?

Never seen them do something as horrible as grabbing people by the throats but the other employees are total pricks. I got shit talked a lot when I asked if I could go outside to smoke when I saw Immortal last year, just because I was under 21. Not to mention they ALWAYS cut openers short.

dcmetal108
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Yea this is the worst I've saw the employees. But I remember I got kicked out after a show trying to use the restroom and buy merch because I wasn't 21.

Then I was told to get off their property when I tried to stand inside the doors waiting for my ride since it was 20 degrees and I didn't have a coat.

jd091
03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
They might get a lawsuit for their security hurting someone... but I guarantee you it's nothing like the lawsuit they could face for the incident of one of the stagedivers getting paralyzed from the waist down. Which did happen last year; hence them implementing the rule. STILL, I agree 100% with your assessment; I hate the security there now. I personally stagedove 3 times and crowdsurfed twice near the end of Black Dahlia's set, astutely waiting until the security were tied down trying to kick someone out so I could just jump up on stage on the side and run over. :lol: There's definitely been way more stagediving at that venue. And I'm debating what security I hate more: them, or Reggie's. A couple of the bouncers at Reggie's seem kind of cool though, not antagonistic when they have to enforce the rules.

For me, I showed up right after Hour of Penance (:mad:). #fuckclass #fucktheCTA. Really wanted to see them. Anyway, nice meeting with all you guys again, and nice meeting Zach for the first time. Wish my boy Daimonos could have been there too; oh well. I bet we'll all be at Nasum or something. Skeletonwitch were definitely better this time than when I've seen them in the past; but they still didn't excite me a lot. Whatever, there seemed to be a lot of people enjoying them.

Nile were fucking excellent, as always. Yeah, I started the pit right when Kafir started. Come at me, bros. I was wearing my cutoff Harm's Way shirt. #coolhardcorebro #i'mafagfordoinghashtags. I actually saw another guy with a Harm's Way shirt after and we briefly talked about how amazing they were, and in the middle of the show I talked with this old hardcore bro in the back who was wearing a Warhound shirt! :fist: Great fucking band; we both complimented each other. Overall for Nile, I think I definitely enjoyed them way more when they headlined in 2010, but the set was still tits. I've seen all those songs live before, I think. Still, fucking Sarcophagus live is heavy as tits, and those riffs in Hittite Dung and Permitting the Noble dead = :drool:! Wish I could have seen them longer.

Second time seeing Black Dahlia, and I've got to say that I enjoyed them waaaay more this time. Immediate rush towards the stage as soon as they started, and pretty decent pits the whole show. I really loved that set; very long, too. They played a fuckton off of Ritual! SO good. My only complaint on their set was the lack of a.) Statutory Ape, b.) Black Valor (I'd love to see that live), c.) more songs off of Miasma or Nocturnal. I really want to see Dave Goes to Hollywood before I die. :lovedup: Still, great show!

There's nothing more to be said about the security and stagediving; it's all true. For me, this could have been one of the best shows I've seen if I could have been diving for Black Dahlia the whole time. There was the perfect amount of people to dive on; you couldn't have hurt yourself unless you were a goddamn idiot. There were a couple kids who tried diving during Skeletonwitch, but they've obviously never seen a Sick Of It All video, 'cause I think they landed straight on their heads. :tp: People wouldn't get hurt stagediving if they would study how to do it correctly beforehand.

"Funeral Thirst" was actually "Unhallowed -> Funeral Thirst", which is always sweet. I miss how they had a slight resemblance of a breakdown in Unhallowed. :lol: So tits live! I think I might email the Bottom lounge later in the future about The Rumble, hardcore, what stagediving means, etc, later. I completely understand why they don't want it to happen, but it doesn't mean I agree with it.

Anyway, great show, cool review, glad I went. See ya guys next time.

Nickweiser
03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
i was at this show last night and boy was it insanity! For those who may remember, i was the guy with red bandana, black shorts, combat boots and Exhumed shirt.

I know garagemetal from here.

But boy where do i start with last night?! how many times did Ryan Knight stop what he was doing to aid the fans?! Major kudos to him. I even saw Brian arguing with some of th guards while he was playing his guitar as well. I get the idea of security doing their job, but these "guards" weren't doing that. So it was a good thing seeing the BL crew getting a taste of their own medicine.

First time seeing Hour Of Penance and Nile, both who were excellent!

BDM and the Witch were great as always as well:D

SomewhereInTime72
03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Not a BDM fan, but I must say, that story is excellent.

kalfitegrdan
03-29-2012, 04:01 AM
This vaguely reminds me of when I saw Devildriver in 2010 with Suffocation and Goatwhore. I wasn't impressed with Devildriver live except for the fact that the House of Blues staff was getting rough with some of the crowd surfers and Dez noticed this and said something to the effect of "Hey, motherfucker, don't fuck with my fans or I'll come down there and kick your ass." :lol: Not exactly alike, but commendable all the same.

Also, I believe I said it when leaving the venue, but I'll reiterate. It was really awesome meeting you guys and I look forward to hanging at future shows. :fist:

Oh, and also:

Of course for me though "Beyond The Permafrost" was my greatest part of their set.

Fuck yes! :horns:

I really want to see Dave Goes to Hollywood before I die. :lovedup:

And fuck yes! :horns: Probably in my top 5 Black Dahlia songs.

mastodon421
03-29-2012, 04:42 AM
This story is awesome. Good to see Black Dahlia getting pissed at the poor treatment of their fans. I'm glad there is no venues up here where the security is that douchey (The security at the House of Blues in Boston is kind of douchey, but nothing compared to this.)

The setlists are great all-around, I just wish Skeletonwitch would have changed up their set up more from the Unearth tour.

kalfitegrdan
03-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Must be a House of Blues thing. Security at House of Blues Chicago are a bunch of douchebags, they've seemed to lighten up though in the last few years. Back when I first started going there they wouldn't allow sitting, which was ridiculous considering I was there for Summer Slaughter, an all day thing.

VoidFlame
03-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Wow that sounds like an epic time, especially the confrontation with security part (except for those who got thrown out, that sucks). Some people take their jobs a bit too seriously. By the way, cool review, it was fun to read.

GarageMetal468
03-29-2012, 08:55 AM
jd you're right about the security at Reggies. Of course they have to enforce the no stage diving/crowd surfing rule but they aren't dicks about it. I don't think I've seen a security guy there hurt anyone while pulling people down/out of the venue or start a fight. It's usually the other people that don't cooperate. They're all really cool guys.

ShatteredFlame
03-29-2012, 11:45 AM
When I saw Touche Amore, Jeremy saw a security guard punch a girl in the face, too which he jumped into the crowd and pushed him to the back of the venue, yelling at the guard. No security guards for the rest of the show after that.

dcmetal108
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I mean like I said I've seen security at every venue before and no one was close to this. HOB security I've never had a problem with.

Best security though is at Tinley Park at the amplitheater. Go crowdsurfing during their shows all the time and those guys will pick you from the crowd, set you down gently, pat you on the back, and say have a good time.

rjturtle9
03-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I mean like I said I've seen security at every venue before and no one was close to this. HOB security I've never had a problem with.

Best security though is at Tinley Park at the amplitheater. Go crowdsurfing during their shows all the time and those guys will pick you from the crowd, set you down gently, pat you on the back, and say have a good time.

The best kind of security! The guys at The House of Blues in Hollywood are like that. I always shake their hands after shows I crowd surf at. Chill ass dudes!

Sepultura69
03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Awesome review. Pretty fucking crazy story. :rocker:

dcmetal108
03-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Awesome review. Pretty fucking crazy story. :rocker:

Yea it was insane. People were posting stuff about it BDM's FB wall.

rjturtle9
04-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Do you know how much TBDM shirts were?

mastodon421
04-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Do you know how much TBDM shirts were?

I believe dcmetal mentioned in his post, but their shirts have been $15 every time I've seen them and I believe that's the case once again.

rjturtle9
04-05-2012, 07:03 AM
I believe dcmetal mentioned in his post, but their shirts have been $15 every time I've seen them and I believe that's the case once again.

Not the shirt price. But ehh, I'm broke anyways. :bouville:

dcmetal108
04-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Yea all shirts (including tour shirts) were $15 and hoodies were $30.

Newest album on vinyl was $20, patch was $5, all cds were $10.