PDA

View Full Version : MESHUGGAH - KOLOSS

Natrlhi
03-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Well now that the thing has leaked, you undeserving fucks might as well leave your thoughts in one central location.

I'll contribute my own thoughts later. I've heard the album several times already, but I don't have time to write about it now. Some of us have day jobs, y'know.

So, discuss.

street_burial
03-19-2012, 12:58 PM
meh. not as good as expected.

w00tasaurus
03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Pretty meh, but I have never thought meshuggah were anything but meh.

Natrlhi
03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Fair enough. It didn't blow me away on the first listen either (except for tracks 2, 6 and 8).

Turn the volume up and give it another spin or two when you get a chance. You'll be glad you did. :D

street_burial
03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Swarm was the only track that impressed me.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
03-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Wha? Where'd it leak? I can only find the two lyric videos on youtube...

street_burial
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
google it

TonyD
03-19-2012, 06:15 PM
I would edit that post if I were you

InFlamesOfBirchmen
03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
i typically browse the web on my ipad, so I was hoping the album was streaming somewhere. I promise you guys I'm capable of googling something, but regardless, thank you. Somehow I've never come across GetMetal.org.

slapguitarer
03-19-2012, 07:34 PM
It was kind of disappointing. A lot of the tracks just groove on one idea, which can be cool, but they do it for too long and those riffs aren't really that exciting. There were a few tracks that had the aggression that I love about Obzen, but the rest were okay or mediocre. I'll listen to it more, but as of now I don't think it's that great..

anomynous
03-19-2012, 10:11 PM
I think it's pretty killer, but I don't have Meshuggah up on a pedestal like a lot of people.

kevouellet
03-20-2012, 04:51 AM
"Behind the Sun" is hands down one of the best songs in Meshuggah's catalogue.

Natrlhi
03-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Swarm was the only track that impressed me.I do like a few other tracks a whole lot as well, but this is by far my favorite on the album (in terms of immediate gratification, at least). It's quite obviously this album's "Bleed".

"Behind the Sun" is hands down one of the best songs in Meshuggah's catalogue.Interesting. That might be one of my least favorite tracks on the album. It just seems to meander aimlessly for a while, never really eveloping into anything significant. There are a few decent riffs here and there, but to me this was a fairly weak track.

I think it's pretty killer, but I don't have Meshuggah up on a pedestal like a lot of people.I guess I have to admit that I do consider Meshuggah to be one of my all-time favorites, so I'm trying hard to stay objective in the reviewing process. I think this one is a grower, like most of their other albums. Hell, I even seem to remember thinking obZen was pretty meh until I had listened to it a few times - now I think it's one of Meshuggah's best albums.

It's odd to think that a band that is this heavy and brutal in their attack would be one that you'd have to settle in and listen to for a while before appreciating their material, but I think this album is teaching me that one of the strengths of Meshuggah is that they write albums which function on multiple levels. Some of their compositions clearly go for the jugular right away, while others take several listens to fully appreciate. I suppose you could say this about any band, but it just seems to be more of a factor for these guys.

MetalIsArt
03-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Never liked this band anyway.

Natrlhi
03-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Look what just happened.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aRxPMXDaDxs/Sjuxr_y4M6I/AAAAAAAAAFI/BFEPvMzmhOs/s320/circle_1_m.jpg

:(

MetalIsArt
03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Look what just happened.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aRxPMXDaDxs/Sjuxr_y4M6I/AAAAAAAAAFI/BFEPvMzmhOs/s320/circle_1_m.jpg

:(

Opinions.

mastodon421
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Gonna give this a listen tonight. Downloaded it yesterday, but thanks to the lovely Deposit Files (seriously the worst fucking torrent ever) it took almost 3(!) hours to download and I had no motivation to listen to it once it completed.

mastodon421
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Just finished listening. Not that impressed. The Demon's Name Is Survilence, Marrow, and Swarm are good, Behind The Sun and The Hurt That Finds You Frist have their moments and the rest are just straight-up boring. I'll give it another listen, but so far it's just a decent record and easily the weakest record of Meshuggah's career.

TonyD
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Not sure how many full listens I got in, but after hearing it a few times I don't really have song titles matched with songs.

There isn't a definite standout track like Bleed, Rational Gaze or FBM, but so far Demiurge is the one sticking to me.

Behind the Sun immediately brings Catch 33 to mind.

Started my run with The Demon's Name is Surveillance today, that was intense.

After hearing some samples and some not so hot reviews, I wasn't expecting as much as I was initially so I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I like to production better than obZen and they have a nice mix of slow and fast material, neither of which is formulaic from previous material or even within this album.

The biggest thing I notice is that there are some songs like this, but the middle of the album doesn't drag on with slow polyrhythmic droning.

Natrlhi
03-21-2012, 06:33 AM
^ Nice assessment. You and I are in agreement on a lot of things about this album so far (imagine that ;)).

mastodon421
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
My full review if anyone cares: http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/2012/03/album-review-meshuggah-koloss.html

Natrlhi
03-23-2012, 02:12 PM
...one of the most disappointing records in recent memory...

...easily one of the biggest letdowns of the past five years or so...Yet you still give it a three out of five. Yeah.

The primary problem with your review is that you, like so many other folks on this site and rookies to the reviewing game, haven't yet learned the value of a little thing called restraint. It's all or nothing with you people. You either love something to bits, or you fucking hate it with all your might. It's all about superlatives and extremes with you. You lack good language skills to describe the middle ground, and so you give the correct score to fit your true opinion, but your words sound like you hated the damn thing with every fiber of your being.

....and by the way, by saying that the album is "one of the biggest letdowns of the last five years", you're lumping it in with monumental piles of shit like Illud Divinum Insanus, which is clearly a whole different fucking neighborhood than where Koloss belongs (again, at least based on the score you granted).

Sorry to be harsh, but obviously I'm tying to get not only your attention, but perhaps that of a few other folks as well who may read your review before listening to the album and decide that it's not worthwhile - which it definitely is. This album is a grower - something you probably wouldn't realize because it seems that you were more worried about getting your opinion out there before anybody else than you were about giving the album a fair assessment (glaring issue number two).

Take your time. Use some restraint. Find the middle ground and get comfortable describing it. Say positive things in the midst of even the most negative reviews (unless whatever you're reviewing really is utter horseshit - which I will tell you is much more rare than you think). Learn to say negative things without coming off as someone who just likes to criticize just to hear himself speak.

Do these things, and you will be taken more seriously, I promise.

Or don't. After all, what do I know?

treghet
03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Nat, you need to teach the people at Metal-Archives how to write reviews.

JLRedWing13
03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Just finished my first listen. I liked it, much more than I thought I would after reading the mostly negative reactions. I'm not as familiar with Meshuggah as most on here, but I enjoyed it and look forward to spinning it again, as well as seeing them live. :rocker:

ravenheart
03-24-2012, 02:02 PM

Then why are you in a thread about them?

Dextrimental
03-24-2012, 03:51 PM
First impression, I prefer it to ObZen, probably the best first impression I've gotten from a latter day Meshuggah record. Hopefully the album has lasting appeal!

illuminatus917
03-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Nat, you need to teach the people at Metal-Archives how to write reviews.

Natrlhi > 70-75% of the reviewers there. There's a little coterie of reviewers there though that are truly excellent at what they do, and I'd be willing to bet Natrlhi would admit that.

Just finished my first listen. I liked it, much more than I thought I would after reading the mostly negative reactions. I'm not as familiar with Meshuggah as most on here, but I enjoyed it and look forward to spinning it again, as well as seeing them live. :rocker:

Where the fuck have you been?

llama lom
03-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Although I can get why people were disappointed, I am really happy with this album. It's definitely a lot slower and more of a groove oriented album, but I love the way they did it. The fact that they worked with less riffs made it simpler and a lot easier to enjoy. It also had more of an album feel as opposed to a compilation of tracks they just happened to write. I even enjoyed the two tracks they released beforehand a lot more in this run through than when they came out. My heart was pounding the entire way through it and I don't think any album has ever done that for me ever. The Last Vigil was actually a nice way to bring it back down. This is easily my favorite Meshuggah album.

mastodon421
03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Yet you still give it a three out of five. Yeah.

The primary problem with your review is that you, like so many other folks on this site and rookies to the reviewing game, haven't yet learned the value of a little thing called restraint. It's all or nothing with you people. You either love something to bits, or you fucking hate it with all your might. It's all about superlatives and extremes with you. You lack good language skills to describe the middle ground, and so you give the correct score to fit your true opinion, but your words sound like you hated the damn thing with every fiber of your being.

....and by the way, by saying that the album is "one of the biggest letdowns of the last five years", you're lumping it in with monumental piles of shit like Illud Divinum Insanus, which is clearly a whole different fucking neighborhood than where Koloss belongs (again, at least based on the score you granted).

Sorry to be harsh, but obviously I'm tying to get not only your attention, but perhaps that of a few other folks as well who may read your review before listening to the album and decide that it's not worthwhile - which it definitely is. This album is a grower - something you probably wouldn't realize because it seems that you were more worried about getting your opinion out there before anybody else than you were about giving the album a fair assessment (glaring issue number two).

Take your time. Use some restraint. Find the middle ground and get comfortable describing it. Say positive things in the midst of even the most negative reviews (unless whatever you're reviewing really is utter horseshit - which I will tell you is much more rare than you think). Learn to say negative things without coming off as someone who just likes to criticize just to hear himself speak.

Do these things, and you will be taken more seriously, I promise.

Or don't. After all, what do I know?

You're not being harsh at all! I appreciate any form of feedback. I've been writing reviews for a couple of years now and am always trying to improve and you gave me some good tips. I'm going to be honest, I don't always write like I did in the this review, I just couldn't over how letdown I was by the record. I agree, I was definitely too negative in my wording considering it got a decent score, but again it all comes back to how disapointing this record is to me. I had listened to Koloss three times through before I wrote that, so that wasn't just my first impression. I like to give records at least a couple of spins before I write a review. As of right now (I haven't listened to again since I wrote the review), It hasn't grown on me one bit. I still echo what I wrote in the review, the memorable riffs and grooves just aren't there and that's a big part of what makes Meshuggah so great. Anyways, I do appreciate your advice Nat and I will do my best to apply your advice to my writing in the future.

Seventhzealot
03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Then why are you in a thread about them?

He likes to go against the grain.

..Oh wait

Natrlhi
03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
You're not being harsh at all! I appreciate any form of feedback. I've been writing reviews for a couple of years now and am always trying to improve and you gave me some good tips. I'm going to be honest, I don't always write like I did in the this review, I just couldn't over how letdown I was by the record. I agree, I was definitely too negative in my wording considering it got a decent score, but again it all comes back to how disapointing this record is to me. I had listened to Koloss three times through before I wrote that, so that wasn't just my first impression. I like to give records at least a couple of spins before I write a review. As of right now (I haven't listened to again since I wrote the review), It hasn't grown on me one bit. I still echo what I wrote in the review, the memorable riffs and grooves just aren't there and that's a big part of what makes Meshuggah so great. Anyways, I do appreciate your advice Nat and I will do my best to apply your advice to my writing in the future.Glad to see you didn't get too put off by my comments. I was hoping you wouldn't be offended, because of course that wasn't my objective. I was hoping you'd actually consider what I was trying to say, but sometimes my delivery can be a bit "direct". ;)

I wouldn't argue at all about the feeling of disappointment you had on the first couple of listens, for at least two reasons. First, it's your opinion, and we're all entitled to our own. Secondly, and maybe more importantly, to feel a bit of disappointment after listening to this album a few times, I think is actually natural, because it does represent a bit of a departure for the band. They issued some statements before there were any samples to listen to, and at that time they mentioned (warned?) that there might be some groovier moments on it that are not like what Meshuggah typically does.

Indeed, there are tracks like that, and just like you, they caught my attention big time. The thing is, there is actually a lot of variety on the album. There are groove-laden tracks such as "Do Not Look Down" and "Break Those Bones...", but then there are also typical Meshuggah brain destroyers such as "The Demon's Name...", "Marrow" and "Swarm". Then, there are also some uber-heavy mid-tempo tracks such as "Behind the Sun" and "Demiurge" that remind me a great deal of "Lethargica".

The more I listen to it, there's something here for everybody. The problem is that many of us may have wanted an album full of straightforward aggressive songs like "Bleed" (Why? Because it's a fucking awesome track, that's why!), or an album full of mind-benders like "Pravus" (Why? Because it's a fucking awesome track, that's why!), and so when we didn't get that, maybe we were disappointed. The truth is, maybe, that this is one of the most balanced albums they've ever released, and as Meshuggah fans, maybe "balance" isn't what we were looking for.

Speaking of all this, I think a good portion of my review may have just written itself... ;)

Natrlhi
03-27-2012, 09:18 AM
So yeah, some idiot wrote an online review for this album (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/meshuggah-koloss/) that I just happen to agree with completely. Imagine that. ;) :cool:

300%_Density
04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Woot

"Koloss", the new album from Swedish experimental extreme metallers MESHUGGAH, sold 18,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 17 on The Billboard 200 chart.

Released in March 2008, MESHUGGAH's previous CD, "obZen", opened with 11,400 units to debut at No. 59. This was substantially more than the 7,000 first-week total achieved by its predecessor, "Catch 33", which entered the chart at No. 170 back in June 2005.

mankvill
04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Apparently it's the biggest first-week numbers in Nuclear Blast's history :O