PDA

View Full Version : Christianity involved in metal.

street_burial
03-06-2012, 06:04 AM
I think there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. Bands like For Today and The Great Commission tend to cross that line. Having your lyrics mean something is one thing but to constantly talk about god and constantly just repeat bible verses is crossing the line. What do you think about it?

EDIT: Just so it's cleared up. I am talking strictly from lyrical content and live aspects. And also talking about the pro-religion side.

JRA
03-06-2012, 06:08 AM
In Metal: A Headbangers Journey, Donna Weinstein said it best: "If it wasn't for Christianity we wouldn't have metal as we know it."

brutal_descent
03-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Well, bands like For Today and Sleeping Giant can do whatever the fuck they want to pertaining their religion and their music, because I don't listen to them. I don't care about what bands I don't listen to do, because it's their thing; if they get a kick out of it, let them do whatever they feel like. Metal (or any other genre of music for that matter) shouldn't have limits set, even when most of the musicians in metal oppose it; after all, music is an art form, and artistic freedom is all about not being bullied into anything, and doing what floats your boat.

Outside of music, however... fuck Christianity. :666:

ravenheart
03-06-2012, 06:25 AM
I can't vote in this because it depends entirely on how it's done. If every song is just saying "God loves you" all the time, then fuck off. That said, there are exceptions. Seventh Power being one. I love their stuff, yet it's all practically bible readings set to riffs.

If the songs are just about regular stuff and the artist happens to be Christian (Megadeth, W.A.S.P., etc.) then fine, couldn't care less.

So basically, are we talking song content, or just religious beliefs of the band?

And are we talking exclusively about positive song content? There are, after all, anti-Christian songs that are still about Christianity. And there are simply factual songs about it too.

I agree with The Russian that there shouldn't be limits on music, but I also think that songs shouldn't be trying to drive home a religious belief under the guise of a popular music form.

ShatteredFlame
03-06-2012, 06:31 AM
It really doesn't matter as long as the music is good. Metal in general doesn't really have lyrics that interest me, it's mostly about the music.

El Gordo
03-06-2012, 06:34 AM
I won't vote in this poll either because, like ravenheart, it depends on how it's done. If it's preachy and shit, no I don't want to hear it. If the artist happens to believe in something but keeps it more or less out of their music, I'm OK with it. That said, I think the idea of a Christian Metal Band is a bit of an oxymoron. Metal has always been about chaos, something that Christianity is very much against.

Fe Maiden
03-06-2012, 06:34 AM
1st Amendment....that's all I got to say!

brutal_descent
03-06-2012, 06:35 AM
I agree with The Russian that there shouldn't be limits on music, but I also think that songs shouldn't be trying to drive home a religious belief under the guise of a popular music form.

I think that name could stick ;)

street_burial
03-06-2012, 06:35 AM
I can't vote in this because it depends entirely on how it's done. If every song is just saying "God loves you" all the time, then fuck off. That said, there are exceptions. Seventh Power being one. I love their stuff, yet it's all practically bible readings set to riffs.

If the songs are just about regular stuff and the artist happens to be Christian (Megadeth, W.A.S.P., etc.) then fine, couldn't care less.

So basically, are we talking song content, or just religious beliefs of the band?

And are we talking exclusively about positive song content? There are, after all, anti-Christian songs that are still about Christianity. And there are simply factual songs about it too.

I'm talking strictly from the musical content/show content. Personal beliefs outside of the music I don't care about. And also the positive-side of Christianity.

ravenheart
03-06-2012, 06:47 AM
I think that name could stick ;)

It stuck a long time ago ;)

brutal_descent
03-06-2012, 06:49 AM
It stuck a long time ago ;)

http://img.soundtrackcollector.com/movie/large/Russians_are_coming.jpg

;)

smearCampaign
03-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I believe in freedom of speech so I don't really care if any religious person chooses to use metal as an outlet. That also means I have the right to disagree with and criticize those views.

In my opinion, outside of music Christianity is a vicious cycle of glorified ignorance whose negative consequences far outweigh it's positive impact.

Natrlhi
03-06-2012, 08:40 AM
In Metal: A Headbangers Journey, Donna Weinstein said it best: "If it wasn't for Christianity we wouldn't have metal as we know it."This...

It really doesn't matter as long as the music is good....this...

I believe in freedom of speech so I don't really care if any religious person chooses to use metal as an outlet. That also means I have the right to disagree with and criticize those views.

In my opinion, outside of music Christianity is a vicious cycle of glorified ignorance whose negative consequences far outweigh it's positive impact....and this.

Indestructible
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Christianity just like all faiths play roles in metal lyrics. They might not always say praise God and love him etc but they might take stories from the bible etc and write about them because it is interesting. So I find nothing wrong with Christianity or any faith in metal. What you believe is what you believe, and if you are musician those beliefs should play a big part in your music. I don't see why Christianity in metal should bother any metal fan, if you like the music and the message then listen to it, if you don't like the music and the message don't listen. I don't listen to Christian bands much, I started listening to Stryper recently but that's the only one. I have heard a few Christian metal songs from different bands, and I am fine with it. They don't seem like they are forcing their beliefs on the listener, they are not talking about hate and violence towards another like a lot of ignorant Christians do.

I use to be bothered by Christianity and anyone who talked about how they love God and Jesus, but that doesn't bother me anymore. Love and peace is the true message of Christianity, that is the message of all faiths. Im sure there was a good message in Christianity and other faiths, there still is a good message, the true message is peace and love, anything that deals with bringing positivity to yourself and others, but that message has been buried, corrupted and twisted by people in power to fit their own hate filled agenda of violence and war. Religion was created to indoctrinate and divide the masses. Religion tries to destroy any idea that tells us we should be one with each other and the universe, it tries to destroy anything that says we should not preach hate and violence but instead live in love and peace.

brutal_descent
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Well, actually, now that I think about it, I love Christianity in metal! My favorite Christian metal band is Deicide :rocker:

jd091
03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Two of my favorite genres are over-the-top Straight Edge punk and militant Christian moshcore. I. Fucking. LOVE over-the-top Christian lyrics. :lol: I actually don't like it when bands are only sorta Christian, like a lot of metalcore out there. Go balls out.

Dextrimental
03-06-2012, 10:01 AM
As long as the music is good, I don't care. Some great bands have come from religion/christianity, from both a positive or negative influence.

I personally don't conform to any particular religion myself, but they (excluding scientology) are, and will only continue to be, a great source of inspiration and each of them, including Christianity, have some incredible history and stories worth reading up on.

That said, I can't wait for the anti-scientology wave of bands to surface!

Seventhzealot
03-06-2012, 10:15 AM
One of my all-time favorite songs since I was a kid was "After Forever" which has deep religious themes. Its not really something I'm that bothered with because like a lot of things, it tends to go either ways.

mankvill
03-06-2012, 10:26 AM
A band singing satanic lyrics and using satanic imagery doesn't bother me, so neither does a christian band using christian lyrics and christian imagery.

Same goes for all religions/etc.

Anyone who says otherwise is dumb.

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Mortification is a pretty awesome death metal band, and they're Christian and write Christian lyrics. So yeah as long as I like the music it doesn't bother me.

Shit like Demon Hunter and Impending Doom though, well I hate the music.

Seventhzealot
03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Mortification is a pretty awesome death metal band, and they're Christian and write Christian lyrics. So yeah as long as I like the music it doesn't bother me.

Shit like Demon Hunter and Impending Doom though, well I hate the music.

:fist:

dcmetal108
03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
See what I hate is how bands like For Today give a long speech about their religion. The one time I saw them it was nearly 5 minutes and the second time was a few minutes.

Just do like TDWP does now and say their believe in god while thanking the crowd. No speech needed.

MPF
03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I listen to as much Behemoth as I do Neal Morse. and lyrics are the last thing I pay attention to in a band.

The music is what matters most. If you can't write good music, it doesn't matter how much you worship God, Satan, Titties, etc. YOU SUCK!

Indestructible
03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I listen to as much Behemoth as I do Neal Morse. and lyrics are the last thing I pay attention to in a band.

The music is what matters most. If you can't write good music, it doesn't matter how much you worship God, Satan, Titties, etc. YOU SUCK!

Why don't lyrics matter as much as the music? Lyrics matter to me. The music, the lyrics etc it all helps to create the song. Everything that goes into creating a song are important.

dcmetal108
03-06-2012, 01:05 PM

I want a band that worships nothing but titties.

MPF
03-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Why don't lyrics matter as much as the music? Lyrics matter to me. The music, the lyrics etc it all helps to create the song. Everything that goes into creating a song are important.

Think about it in Death Metal, Black Metal Grindcore, etc. Do you honestly understand all the words the first time you hear a new song. Of course not, it takes a couple listens. But the music is what draws you in.

I also listen to a lot of instrumental music as well. Lyrics can't and don't offend me. Shitty music does.

elturtleboy
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I haven't heard a good Christian Metal band yet.
I always thought it would be lame but then I heard Hardcore Punk legends Circle One.
Plus Bad Brains have very religious lyrics. So no I dont mind,but havent heard a metal Jesus band that rules.

mankvill
03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I haven't heard a good Christian Metal band yet.
I always thought it would be lame but then I heard Hardcore Punk legends Circle One.
Plus Bad Brains have very religious lyrics. So no I dont mind,but havent heard a metal Jesus band that rules.

>doesn't like Stryper
>likes faggotgrapple

BloodoftheKings
03-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I picked fuck christianity just saying in general but honestly I don't care if members of a band are christian. If the lyrics were about their religion that would probably take me out of it and keep me from enjoying the band.

mankvill
03-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I picked fuck christianity just saying in general but honestly I don't care if members of a band are christian. If the lyrics were about their religion that would probably take me out of it and keep me from enjoying the band.

That is very sad. :(

TonyD
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't mind so much about the content but there's nothing I really like that has it.
One of my friends is always posting anti-religion stuff on Facebook and it's more annoying than pro-religion stuff people post on Facebook, but the more you think about it, it's hard to believe how embedded Christianity is in our culture and politics in a bad way.

elturtleboy
03-06-2012, 05:06 PM
>doesn't like Stryper
>likes faggotgrapple

Isn't MxPx Christian? Man ur gay

illuminatus917
03-06-2012, 05:22 PM
To quote Diderot,

"humankind will celebrate when the last king is hung with the entrails of the last priest"

BloodoftheKings
03-06-2012, 07:25 PM
That is very sad. :(

I wouldn't really know since I've never heard a good band with religious lyrics but their music would have to really win me over if i'm going to be annoyed by their lyrics.

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't really know since I've never heard a good band with religious lyrics but their music would have to really win me over if i'm going to be annoyed by their lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9BtNgpZDFY

This is the only Christian band I've found that I like so far, it's Mortification as I mentioned before.

Most Christian metal bands these days are usually some form of deathcore/metalcore, which I hate. So of course I hate those bands.

There's probably some more older Christian metal bands out there or some underground ones that play a style of music I would like.

Indestructible
03-06-2012, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9BtNgpZDFY

This is the only Christian band I've found that I like so far, it's Mortification as I mentioned before.

Most Christian metal bands these days are usually some form of deathcore/metalcore, which I hate. So of course I hate those bands.

There's probably some more older Christian metal bands out there or some underground ones that play a style of music I would like.

What are the Christain Deathcore bands like lyrically? I couldn't picture a deathcore band singing about love for jesus, that would be strange.

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 08:27 PM
What are the Christain Deathcore bands like lyrically? I couldn't picture a deathcore band singing about love for jesus, that would be strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF5lIgJr3ws

This song seems to just be telling all the non-christians how worthless they are and that there is no hope for them. How nice of them.

Indestructible
03-06-2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF5lIgJr3ws

This song seems to just be telling all the non-christians how worthless they are and that there is no hope for them. How nice of them.

That's what I thought, I wouldn't expect a deathcore band to preach anything positive about christianity. Christianity or not I wouldn't expect a deathcore band the preach anything positive.

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
I kinda wish I was going to Metal Alliance just so I could tell Impending Doom to fuck off. But I don't feel like driving to House of Blues Sunset two days in a row. If Dying Fetus were getting a longer set I'd probably go.

mankvill
03-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I kinda wish I was going to Metal Alliance just so I could tell Impending Doom to fuck off. But I don't feel like driving to House of Blues Sunset two days in a row. If Dying Fetus were getting a longer set I'd probably go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

I saw Impending Doom and they didn't mention one word of their faith or beliefs or anything until they were done with their last song. They just said "I know some people out here really disagree with us because of our beliefs, but I just want to thank you all for giving us a chance and checking us out tonight."

Respect level for them is through the fucking roof, and I hate their music.

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

I saw Impending Doom and they didn't mention one word of their faith or beliefs or anything until they were done with their last song. They just said "I know some people out here really disagree with us because of our beliefs, but I just want to thank you all for giving us a chance and checking us out tonight."

Respect level for them is through the fucking roof, and I hate their music.

If you say so. Those lyrics do piss me off though.

Maybe I'd just throw out a "Hail Satan!" instead. :tongue:

mankvill
03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
If you say so. Those lyrics do piss me off though.

Maybe I'd just throw out a "Hail Satan!" instead. :tongue:

Pfft. Where's the hate for Deicide and their extreme anti-Christian lyrics!

treghet
03-06-2012, 09:10 PM

I actually knew someone who hated Deicide for that reason.

larvtard
03-06-2012, 09:11 PM

this is coming from the guy who hates r/atheism...

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM

I don't have a problem with anti-Christian lyrics.

So yeah, maybe I'm a hypocrite. Oh well.

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
If I liked Impending Doom's music I'd be able to look past those lyrics though. Just like I do with Mortification.

jd091
03-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Satanic lyrics = the most generic, boring shit around. If you're gonna do it, make it well articulated and poetic, like Behemoth, though they're more just anti-Christian than pro-Satan.

I'd take generic Christian lyrics over generic Satan lyrics any day.

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Satanic lyrics = the most generic, boring shit around. If you're gonna do it, make it well articulated and poetic, like Behemoth, though they're more just anti-Christian than pro-Satan.

I'd take generic Christian lyrics over generic Satan lyrics any day.

Or like Immolation :lovedup:, but they're also more just anti-Christian as well.

Seventhzealot
03-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Or like Immolation :lovedup:, but they're also more just anti-Christian as well.

or Morbid Angel ;)

OraclesofAgony
03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
or Morbid Angel ;)

Yeah, of course. :tongue:

Seventhzealot
03-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah, of course. :tongue:

:D

jd091
03-07-2012, 12:36 AM

If you were to actually do that, I would have to give you the "Internet metal nerd douchelord of the year award" and hate you forever, but since you didn't, you're still that cool guy on this site that likes Fleshgod a ton. :D

OraclesofAgony
03-07-2012, 12:37 AM
If you were to actually do that, I would have to give you the "Internet metal nerd douchelord of the year award" and hate you forever, but since you didn't, you're still that cool guy on this site that likes Fleshgod a ton. :D

I actually realize now how douchey that would be, and wouldn't do that. :lol:
Just a heat of the moment post in response to the lyrics I was reading from that single of theirs.

jd091
03-07-2012, 12:40 AM

Yeah, they're pretty well articulated, though I wish they would still stray from the path a bit. Behemoth do that type of shit way better than anyone I know of.

I think there's a ton of awesome potential for Christian lyrics, too, that For Today and Sleeping Giant take advantage of to an extent: the Bible is inherently a violent book. There are wars. There's tons of death. The whole thing lies on the crux of a huge battle that all the dead will come back to be judged and finally conquer evil with force. It's really awesome imagery if you look at it from an unbiased perspective, like how we look at Amon Amarth or Nile's lyrics and think they're awesome since they revolve around mythology of different cultures. This is just a different type of mythology.

OraclesofAgony
03-07-2012, 12:40 AM
If they're cool guys then I guess I can appreciate that.

OraclesofAgony
03-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Yeah, they're pretty well articulated, though I wish they would still stray from the path a bit. Behemoth do that type of shit way better than anyone I know of.

I think there's a ton of awesome potential for Christian lyrics, too, that For Today and Sleeping Giant take advantage of to an extent: the Bible is inherently a violent book. There are wars. There's tons of death. The whole thing lies on the crux of a huge battle that all the dead will come back to be judged and finally conquer evil with force. It's really awesome imagery if you look at it from an unbiased perspective, like how we look at Amon Amarth or Nile's lyrics and think they're awesome since they revolve around mythology of different cultures. This is just a different type of mythology.

The problem with that is that I'd assume most Christian Metal bands want to take the preachy approach, or not really preachy but that they don't want to talk about their faith from a mythological perspective. But I wouldn't know of course, I've never bothered to look into Christian Metal lyrics much since I only like 1 christian metal band. That would be pretty interesting though if there were bands out there that wrote like that. And played awesome death metal of course. ;)

The_jman
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I like demon hunter.

in general the concept doesn't bother me, religion in general gets on my nerves but I by no means think it shouldn't be allowed, If it were to bother me I just wouldn't listen to it.

slapguitarer
03-08-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm starting to dig Pro-Satan lyrics myself. Something about Satan as a character is just really fascinating. I'd say Light Bearer do a good job at making Satan something interesting. And you can't go wrong with Mercyful Fate! :D

SomewhereInTime72
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I think it's fine in concept but in practice it is sometimes obnoxious. Mostly because it tends to dominate their lyrical content and becomes something that they have to announce - being a "christian band." That's pretty annoying because it doesn't actually describe what kind of band they are at all. Anyway, having all your songs being about religion is the same as if all your songs were about satan - you have to be really fucking good for it not to be dull.

Fates Guardian
07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Are all the 'fuck Christianity' people deliberately going out of their way to forget Trouble? 'Psalm 9' is one of the best thrashy doom metal albums ever.

Rocco44
07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't have a problem with it as long as the music is good.

Griftegard is a prime example of this. Anyone that loves doom of the traditional variety should dig these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdam-B_qz5c

Travis The Dragon
07-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Think about it in Death Metal, Black Metal Grindcore, etc. Do you honestly understand all the words the first time you hear a new song. Of course not, it takes a couple listens. But the music is what draws you in.

I also listen to a lot of instrumental music as well. Lyrics can't and don't offend me. Shitty music does.

And with a lot of those bands, you can't understand the words at all unless you actually have the lyrics in front of you and follow along with them. I too could give a fuck less what the lyrics are as long as the musics good. Same with the main topic. I love As I Lay Dying just as much as Dimmu Borgir.

brutal_descent
07-12-2012, 08:30 AM
And with a lot of those bands, you can't understand the words at all unless you actually have the lyrics in front of you and follow along with them.

:lol:

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I have no problem with Christianity being in metal.The bible has a lot of cool story's,as people have already said.Just to let everybody know,I am a Christian.Even though I am ,my favorite bands are still Motley Crue,Poison,Helloween,etc.,because the lyrics really don't effect me.All that being said,it's unfortunate that most bands that are labeled "Christian Metal",are not good at all,besides Stryper and Skillet.I prefer bands that use Christianity as an inspiration,that have lyrics that have double meanings (Christian,Secular),but aren't labeled as a "Christian" band,like Switchfoot,Relient K,Anberlin,and U2,of course they are more rock then metal.

John The Drummer
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I have no problem with Christianity being in metal.The bible has a lot of cool story's,as people have already said.Just to let everybody know,I am a Christian.Even though I am ,my favorite bands are still Motley Crue,Poison,Helloween,etc.,because the lyrics really don't effect me.All that being said,it's unfortunate that most bands that are labeled "Christian Metal",are not good at all,besides Stryper and Skillet.I prefer bands that use Christianity as an inspiration,that have lyrics that have double meanings (Christian,Secular),but aren't labeled as a "Christian" band,like Switchfoot,Relient K,Anberlin,and U2,of course they are more rock then metal.

SINNER!!!

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-18-2012, 12:08 PM
SINNER!!!
lol:D

Onioner
12-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Is using spaces after commas and periods a sin too? Goddamn son.

TheWildAndTheYoung
12-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Is using spaces after commas and periods a sin too? Goddamn son.
Sorry,have a problem with that, have a bad habit of not paying attention when I'm typing.

adamclark52
12-22-2012, 08:17 AM
It really doesn't matter as long as the music is good. Metal in general doesn't really have lyrics that interest me, it's mostly about the music.

+1

If I really had a problem with the message I just wouldn't pay attention. But if it makes some people happy, whatever.

JRA
12-23-2012, 06:03 AM
There is a line you do not cross....

...which is of course arugula sodomy.

RampinUp46
12-28-2012, 09:21 PM
faggotgrapple

:confused:

illuminatus917
12-31-2012, 08:23 PM
In my opinion, outside of music Christianity is a vicious cycle of glorified ignorance whose negative consequences far outweigh it's positive impact.

Christianity does a lot of good in the world, and I only say this because I've taken part in things in the past and continue to take part in things that I couldn't otherwise take part in without Christian based organizations. Simply because there's no other accessible medium through which to do these things, unfortunately. But I agree, overall it's a negative influence in the world and a force that negates progression, and eventually it needs to dissolve.

Overall I fall in the "if the music is good, it doesn't matter" crowd, but I'm generally quick to be apologetic and post-modernistic when it comes to this, while simultaneously feeling some sense of cognitive dissonance. It's not at all surprising that Christianity is so involved in metal, given it has a long history of colonizing pre-established forms to suit evangelicalizing/proselytizing needs. This is just a contemporary example of it. 
 What is irksome to the non-xian metal subculture is that, as a form, it developed as a means (whether or not explicitly remains arguable) to criticize the greater project of the Abrahamic religions' co-opting and super-cession of pre-xian pagan and atheist metaphysics. So when xians start coming around again and claiming that space for themselves, it's going to start pissing people off and causing them to react. (Adverse reactions usually prove the opinion is not without foundation). Xians run/own/dominate enough public space as it is, yet they continue to act out whatever persecution complex they see fit.

This is why no matter how good the music is, how talented the artist, or how intrusive or non-intrusive the artist is to the extent to which they project beliefs, there will always be an attitude among the metal community (at least as a subcurrent) that if you are a Christian, you have no business listening to metal, being involved in metal, or making metal. You are not welcome. And you will always know and feel that.

energymetal14
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
When bands say homophobic shit like this For Today asshole, that's when Christianity needs to be kept out. I guess I support people having their own views, but I just really can't stand hateful stuff. I'm not sure if it's in their lyrics, but I don't care to find out. Metal should be about acceptance to me, especially metalcore, since hardcore is huge on that. Sorry for my rant, but acceptance and anti-hatred are super important to me, and it just pains me to see people saying stuff like this.

RampinUp46
01-11-2013, 10:08 AM
When bands say homophobic shit like this For Today asshole, that's when Christianity needs to be kept out. I guess I support people having their own views, but I just really can't stand hateful stuff. I'm not sure if it's in their lyrics, but I don't care to find out. Metal should be about acceptance to me, especially metalcore, since hardcore is huge on that. Sorry for my rant, but acceptance and anti-hatred are super important to me, and it just pains me to see people saying stuff like this.

:agree:

Epidemic Reign
01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Figured I'd post here since I am currently listening to a Christian metal band of my own free will for the first time ever, to my knowledge.

The album that I'm listening to is "Infinite Journey of Soul" by Rivera/Bomma from New Jersey. I'm listening to it because it was released today and I'm trying to keep up with my 2013 releases.

Now I have some pretty negative views on religion and particularly Christianity in general. I'm not going to get into that, because I don't like to "promote" my beliefs or push them on others. But it's worth noting.

The lyrics on this album aren't really "preachy" in my opion, but they are very openly Christian in theme most of the time, even quoting the bible at one point.

The music itself is pretty badass, old school heavy metal with some seriously killer riffs and nice melodies. The vocals don't always seem to match up with the music perfectly but they're pretty good. So in the end, I listened to Christian metal and I liked it because the music was good.