PDA

View Full Version : The Official 'Fitness' Thread

street_burial
03-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I noticed a lot of you are talking about your work out routines and stuff so I figured why not centralize it in 1 thread.

So yeah. What do you do to stay in shape?

OraclesofAgony
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
6 day-a-week workout routine. Just basic weight training exercises, with cardio afterward. Been going to the gym for about 2 years now. I've gotten much much stronger and lost a lot of weight, but I'm still far from being in the shape I'd like to be.

Sepultura69
03-03-2012, 10:10 PM
For My work out routine i devour little puppies and quench my thirst after a hard work out with Scotch and rum.

OraclesofAgony
03-03-2012, 10:11 PM
For My work out routine i devour little puppies and quench my thirst after a hard work out with Scotch and rum.

Sounds like I've been doing it wrong.

BloodoftheKings
03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I first started working out about 9 months ago. I've lost about 25 pounds since then (went from 210 to 185). I don't follow a strict diet, I don't eat too great overall but I never eat fast food. During the summer I went to the gym almost every day but once the school year started it became more complicated and i'm often tired so these days I only make it about twice a week. I check my BMI recently and i'm considered average weight but I still feel like I should lose more. I also want to gain more muscle and I do lift weights whenever I go to the gym but i'm not making it my main focus til I feel like I've completely achieved my weight loss goals.

mankvill
03-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Sometimes I drink water instead of soda. That's about it.

Seventhzealot
03-03-2012, 10:27 PM
I was a fat fuck until February of 2011 but I started a proper gym routine complemented with the right diet plan and I lost close to 40 pounds over the period. Now I mainly do weight training five days over the week, with one day for cycling and one day as a rest day. I'm still only 155 pounds for a guy who's 5'9 so I'd definitely like to put on more muscle but I think I'm on the right track because I always strive to push up the weights I lift, every two months or so. Its still a work in progress though.

street_burial
03-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I do p90x twice a week and run 3 miles once a week

BloodoftheKings
03-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I do p90x twice a week and run 3 miles once a week

Is there any place I can try this p90x thing for free?

street_burial
03-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Is there any place I can try this p90x thing for free?

you can always try and torrent them or search around youtube.

hellawaits77ny
03-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Lift heavy, run fast. Well, till I fucked up my knee in November at the Terror show. Just started my physical therapy.

Looking to break my Bench Press PR of 315x11 by June.

ShatteredFlame
03-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I've been working out almost every single day since I started college and I managed to gain 20lbs of muscle (140lbs to160lbs) in 6 months. During the first few months I only would run a couple of miles and that just helped me trim the little fat I had. In the past 2 months I've began some serious weight lifting and ab routines. I take GNC wheybolic protein which really helps me pump up. My routine is pretty sloppy though since I'm not really consistent with balancing out what I'm focusing on, but I'm learning.

I also have given up greasy food completely except for the traditional White Castle after every concert when I'm home.

Magson13
03-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I work out daily. Minimum of two hours. High protein diet, no sweets whatsoever. Only thing I drink is water, with the exception of alcohol, once a week at most. At the gym I start with 20-30 minutes of cardio, then lift weights for the remainder of the time. Upper body one day, lower body the next day. I also do Judo twice a week. Plus red light therapy with a vibration pad on intense, three days a week.

Magson13
03-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I first started working out about 9 months ago. I've lost about 25 pounds since then (went from 210 to 185). I don't follow a strict diet, I don't eat too great overall but I never eat fast food. During the summer I went to the gym almost every day but once the school year started it became more complicated and i'm often tired so these days I only make it about twice a week. I check my BMI recently and i'm considered average weight but I still feel like I should lose more. I also want to gain more muscle and I do lift weights whenever I go to the gym but i'm not making it my main focus til I feel like I've completely achieved my weight loss goals.

I would suggest focusing on building more muscle. Muscle is metabolic, so the more you put on, the more calories you burn at a resting rate. Since you've already gotten yourself down to a healthy wieght for your height, muscle building would be the better path for you rather than more cardio.

Natrlhi
03-05-2012, 09:58 AM
I do p90x twice a week...:lol: Dude, you're doing it wrong.

Just bustin' your chops a little, but as I'm sure you already know, the workouts are synergistic and they work best when done all together, and in the prescribed order. I'm guilty of breaking these rules myself, as I am a major P90X advocate, but due to time constraints, I can rarely do all six workouts in a given week. In fact, if I'm honest, I'm almost in the same boat as you are. The two workouts I never miss are the two upper body ones. I also rarely miss my weekly yoga routine, though I don't do the P90X version because it really isn't yoga per se. More on that subject in a separate post (later).

Thanks for creating this thread, though...seriously. :fist:

you can always try and torrent them or search around youtube.Torrents are how I did it the first time I tried it. YouTube will not work, because you really need the written stuff as well as the workouts...the diet program is an essential part of P90X.

I take GNC wheybolic protein which really helps me pump up.Me too. Great stuff, that. :fist:

Looking to break my Bench Press PR of 315x11 by June.Dude - that is fucking beastly. I have been lifting for twenty-five years, give or take, and often I'm one of the biggest guys in the club, and I've never been able to do that. The closest I came was when I was in college...I could do 315 for about 8-10 reps on the Smith machine while lying on a decline bench (I hurt my shoulder years ago, and decline is much more comfortable for me than flat bench).

I would suggest focusing on building more muscle. Muscle is metabolic, so the more you put on, the more calories you burn at a resting rate. Since you've already gotten yourself down to a healthy wieght for your height, muscle building would be the better path for you rather than more cardio.As much as I've never been very inclined to agree with Magson's posts (just being honest :snivel:), he is actually spot on here. I always tell people I know to think about adding muscle in the same way as increasing the capacity of a factory (which is what your body is). Building muscle increases the uptake of nutrients such as proteins and carbs, and so increases overall metabolism.

mankvill
03-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I worked up a sweat walking up some stairs so I rewarded myself with some pizza. Fitness!

Natrlhi
03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I worked up a sweat walking up some stairs so I rewarded myself with some pizza. Fitness!It's a good thing you have a decent brain, a goofy sense of humor and a little extra self-confidence, cuz otherwise the chicks would be blowing you off hard. ;)

mankvill
03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
It's a good thing you have a decent brain, a goofy sense of humor and a little extra self-confidence, cuz otherwise the chicks would be blowing you off hard. ;)

They already blow me off hard IFYAKNOWUTIMEEN

Natrlhi
03-05-2012, 10:06 AM
They already blow me off hard IFYAKNOWUTIMEENYeah I thought about that after I clicked "submit". That one was way too easy.

Seventhzealot
03-05-2012, 10:20 AM
:lol: That one didn't go exactly to plan.

Anyway I took this weekend off as I was still feeling the effects of the leg workout from Friday. Have a six day gym week coming up now, good stuff :party:

ShatteredFlame
03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I usually work on Monday nights so I make it my off day, but I skipped this past Saturday because I went to a party and it turns out that I have tonight off and it's a great day today so I'm pumped for my workout! :fist:

OraclesofAgony
03-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Finally starting to see some massive gains after a couple months of stagnation.

:party:

Seventhzealot
03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Finally starting to see some massive gains after a couple months of stagnation.

:party:

Nice! How much muscle did you put on?

OraclesofAgony
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Nice! How much muscle did you put on?

I'm not sure haha, I'm just gaging by how much weight I've moved up in in my exercises.

Seventhzealot
03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure haha, I'm just gaging by how much weight I've moved up in in my exercises.

haha fair enough. Yeah I had a gain in the weights I'm lifting too. I'm just glad I safely negotiated that "vegetarian" phase I had towards the end of last year :lol:

ShatteredFlame
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
So I just focused on my upper body today and I'm feeling awesome. I think I will balance it out 1 day upper body, 1 day abs, and 1 day legs; repeat.

I think that's pretty good, no?

street_burial
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
:lol: Dude, you're doing it wrong.

Just bustin' your chops a little, but as I'm sure you already know, the workouts are synergistic and they work best when done all together, and in the prescribed order. I'm guilty of breaking these rules myself, as I am a major P90X advocate, but due to time constraints, I can rarely do all six workouts in a given week. In fact, if I'm honest, I'm almost in the same boat as you are. The two workouts I never miss are the two upper body ones. I also rarely miss my weekly yoga routine, though I don't do the P90X version because it really isn't yoga per se. More on that subject in a separate post (later).

Thanks for creating this thread, though...seriously. :fist:

I don't have enough time to do all of them a week. I've found what I do works for me best. There for about 2 months I was able to do all of the workouts but I really didn't see much improvement. So I stick with what I do now, which I've done for the past 5 months. I've lost 65 lbs, and my muscles are very well defined. I still eat almost everything I used to just to a lesser amount.

You're welcome :horns:

Seventhzealot
03-05-2012, 05:57 PM
So I just focused on my upper body today and I'm feeling awesome. I think I will balance it out 1 day upper body, 1 day abs, and 1 day legs; repeat.

I think that's pretty good, no?

Well I usually tend to work on individual muscle groups each day. For instance, over the course of the week I'll do arms, chest, back, shoulders and legs with one day reserved for activities like cycling, racquetball, tennis or soccer.

But again I'm pretty used to this routine and it works well for me. Really all about finding out what works best for you and sticking to your aim of gradually increasing the weights you're lifting whilst maintaining the proper form to a large degree.

ShatteredFlame
03-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Increasing weights is actually a bit of a challenge for me because I have scoliosis (a curved spine that could get worse over time if I'm not careful). Admittedly I never really like lifting past 50lbs on regular weights, on the machines I can do about 80lbs but I'm pretty pathetic compared to most. It's why lifting is my least favorite part of my workouts.

Seventhzealot
03-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Increasing weights is actually a bit of a challenge for me because I have scoliosis (a curved spine that could get worse over time if I'm not careful). Admittedly I never really like lifting past 50lbs on regular weights, on the machines I can do about 80lbs but I'm pretty pathetic compared to most. It's why lifting is my least favorite part of my workouts.

Damn, that sucks. Oh well there are always specific workout regimes catered to your needs.

I've been pretty pathetic over the past year with my lifting too. The thing is I guess I lost all that weight too soon and thus a bit of my strength too. However I'm feeling like I'm getting back to where I was before as I can probably lift as heavy as most guys in my weight range(150-155 lbs)

GarageMetal468
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Went to work out today and my back didn't give me any problems at all! Looks like I'm back to my regular routine! :party:

I go to the gym 3 times a week every week. I usually do half an hour on cardio (running) and another half hour or more on weights. Mondays and Wednesdays upper body and Thursdays lower body.

SomewhereInTime72
03-05-2012, 08:46 PM
All I do is run now (since January at least, before which I had a MAJOR lapse of any athletic activity), and since I'm still out of shape I don't really get very far, literally or figuratively. But I try to do it 7 days in a row, with the 8th day being the break. I like that because it makes me exercise a lot and I get a different "day off" every week. :tongue:

Magson13
03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm currently on day 5 of the flu, so I haven't been to the gym in 5 days :( But my most recent dumbbell workout went as follows:

Circuit 1:
-Chest press- 75 pounds, 5-6 reps, 5 sets
-Shoulder lifts- 75 pounds, 6-7 reps, 5 sets
(Not sure what the actual name of this is, but it is the lift where you keep your arms at your side, and you pull your shoulders straight up)

Circuit 2:
-Bicep curls- 40 pounds, 7-8 reps, 5 sets
-Tricep extensions- 30 pounds, 6-8 reps, 5 sets
-Front delt lifts- 25 pounds, 5-6 reps, 5 sets

Circuit 3:
-Chest fly- 60 pounds, 5-6 reps, 5 sets
-Rear delt lift- 30 pounds, 6-7 reps, 5 sets
-Middle delt lift- 25 pounds, 4-5 reps, 5 sets

Circuit 4:
-Bent over row- 60 pounds, 8-10 reps, 5 sets
-Shoulder press- 45 pounds, 5-7 reps, 5 sets
-Scanner- 30 pounds, 5-7 reps, 5 sets
(Not sure what this is called either, it is the lift where you bend your elbow at ninety degrees, and go from holding it in front of your body, to the outside of your body, while keeping your elbow in place... Looks like a scanner going across)

Circuit 5:
-Zatterman curls- 25 pounds, 6-8 reps, 5 sets
-Wheel turn- 25 pounds, 4-5 reps, 5 sets
(Not sure about this one either. You hold a weight plate straight in front of you, and turn it like you tirn the steering wheel of a car)

That's for strength training. I alternate between strength training, endurance training, and a new one I have dubbed cardio-based weight training, which is basically just endurance training, but even less weight, more reps, and almost no break time between sets. I do 4-6 weeks of each session, then switch to the next one. Upper body one day, lower body the next day. I also switch between free weights and machines.

OraclesofAgony
05-01-2013, 07:46 PM
I've been really down pretty much this whole year so far, failing the last class I needed to get my degree and having to go an extra quarter now fucked up my spirits pretty bad.

And because of that I stopped going to the gym altogether during that time. I lost a lot of my strength and probably added 1-2 inches to my waist because of it. Now it's damage control time. I've been goin fuckin wild in the gym this week, and I've been feeling a lot better because of it. I need to get that routine started back up again so I can get my overall mood elevated.

My new class I'm taking to complete my degree isn't as bad as the last one, so hopefully everything goes smooth the next couple months.

Natrlhi
05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
I swam three miles without stopping the other day. It was to raise money for charity.

Top that, you young fucks. :finger: