PDA

View Full Version : Bands that shouldn't have reuinited/reformed

treghet
02-26-2012, 04:10 AM
Post any band you feel should have stayed in the past and explain why! It doesn't matter if they released any new material or not, doing a reunion tour counts.

I'll start off with a few that I thought of...

Death Angel

It's hard for me to say this, because I would still love to see them live, but they are a shadow of their former selves. Although their most recent album was an improvement over the previous two, they're all still less than impressive to me. They went out on a high note with Act III, and I think it should have stayed that way.

Decapitated

Decapitated has put very little effort into their reformation. Their return to the states on the Summer Slaughter tour in 2010 was a major let down for me. A nine song headlining set is just pathetic. Their newest album only made me loathe their return even more. It's essentially a completely new band parading under the Decapitated name and logo. The point that I don't enjoy the new style is not why it bothers me so much, it's more of the fact that it's just not a Decapitated album.

Septic Flesh

Being a fan of Communion, this is another tough one for me. While Septic Flesh has retained the lineup prior to the breakup, their change in direction irks me. Yes, bands evolve over time, but when I saw them opening for Behemoth they only played one old song and last year when I saw them they didn't play any at all. It just seems like they should have started a new band instead of reactivating Septic Flesh since they obviously have little to no regard for their earlier work.

Terrorizer

Darker Days Ahead absolutely destroyed Terrorizer's legacy. It's as simple as that. Anthony Rezhawk is a horrible vocalist and their writing skills deteriorated beyond belief. It just seems like a totally worthless reunion to me.

kalfitegrdan
02-26-2012, 04:43 AM
I disagree with Septic Flesh, but that's probably because Communion was my favorite album that I've heard by them.;) I personally disliked Revolution DNA and thought Sumerian Daemons was pretty good.

I'm pretty on the fence with Death Angel and Terrorizer.

Decapitated, I completely and utterly agree with. I absolutely hate their new vocalist :flame: for one and for two, the new album obviously sucked, although I liked a few songs on it, but none of them are anything compared to anything else in Decapitated's catalog.

MetalIsArt
02-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Sorry, don't agree about Death Angel.

brutal_descent
02-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Guns N' Roses should have broken up right after Use Your Illusion II.

MetalIsArt
02-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Guns N' Roses should have broken up right after Use Your Illusion II.

They lost their sound with Slash, if you like it or not.

Sepultura should've broken up right after that faithfull night in december 1996. And who bought Kairos anyway? I read some very good reviews, gave it short listen and I just couldn't get into it.

IrritatedTrout
02-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Thin Lizzy. It's not right without Phil.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Death Angel's last album was very good, so I don't agree at all about that. I'm sure their live performance is as good as thrash bands get as well, so I disagree with that.

I most especially disagree with SepticFlesh. Communion and The Great Mass are easily in the top three best albums of the year for their respective release dates. Those two albums make listening to the earlier albums a chore. Besides, just because they have taken a different approach doesn't mean they have to start a band under a different name with the same exact members.

MetalIsArt
02-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Death Angel's last album was very good, so I don't agree at all about that. I'm sure their live performance is as good as thrash bands get as well, so I disagree with that.

I most especially disagree with SepticFlesh. Communion and The Great Mass are easily in the top three best albums of the year for their respective release dates. Those two albums make listening to the earlier albums a chore. Besides, just because they have taken a different approach doesn't mean they have to start a band under a different name with the same exact members.

Death Angel is good fun live.

BloodoftheKings
02-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Death Angel are still killer live and all of their albums since the reunion have been good IMO.

treghet
02-26-2012, 07:35 AM

There are some songs on Relentless Retribution that I enjoy, but there are more that bore me. Even the songs I enjoy come nowhere close to the material on the first three albums. But yeah, I'm sure they still sound great live. I've been meaning to catch them, but it seems like every time they play here it's on a day I'm unable to go.

As for Septic Flesh, you are right that taking a new approach doesn't mean you have to start a new band, but why do they so often ignore their old material? It just doesn't make sense to me to reunite your band and then act like the older albums don't exist. Between that and changing direction it suggests that they want to start over, not continue what they had started.

ravenheart
02-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Death Angel

It's hard for me to say this, because I would still love to see them live, but they are a shadow of their former selves. Although their most recent album was an improvement over the previous two, they're all still less than impressive to me. They went out on a high note with Act III, and I think it should have stayed that way.

Holyfuckwhatareyoutalkingabout.

treghet
02-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Holyfuckwhatareyoutalkingabout.

Care to elaborate?

brutal_descent
02-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Care to elaborate?

What he said was "Holy fuck, what are you talking about?" ;)

treghet
02-26-2012, 07:52 AM
What he said was "Holy fuck, what are you talking about?" ;)

I think you need to look up "elaborate" in the dictionary. ;)

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-26-2012, 08:04 AM
There are some songs on Relentless Retribution that I enjoy, but there are more that bore me. Even the songs I enjoy come nowhere close to the material on the first three albums. But yeah, I'm sure they still sound great live. I've been meaning to catch them, but it seems like every time they play here it's on a day I'm unable to go.

As for Septic Flesh, you are right that taking a new approach doesn't mean you have to start a new band, but why do they so often ignore their old material? It just doesn't make sense to me to reunite your band and then act like the older albums don't exist. Between that and changing direction it suggests that they want to start over, not continue what they had started.

I think Relentless Retribution had some of the most memorable Death Angel tracks to come out in quite a while. Songs like the title track and Where They lay are just so good.

Well, their older material is just not as fresh as their newer stuff, to state the obvious. Especially in the case of SepticFlesh. More orchestrated material, and growth in terms of maturity, leaves it sort of strange for them to play the old stuff. It's out of place. Even with all that noted, I still think it's a continuation of what they were doing. Their early material was always more focused on songwriting and melodies than that of other black/death metal bands.

larvtard
02-26-2012, 08:24 AM
But yeah, I'm sure they still sound great live. I've been meaning to catch them, but it seems like every time they play here it's on a day I'm unable to go.

Well, if they didn't reunite, that wouldn't be possible at all;)

treghet
02-26-2012, 08:38 AM
I think Relentless Retribution had some of the most memorable Death Angel tracks to come out in quite a while. Songs like the title track and Where They lay are just so good.

Well, their older material is just not as fresh as their newer stuff, to state the obvious. Especially in the case of SepticFlesh. More orchestrated material, and growth in terms of maturity, leaves it sort of strange for them to play the old stuff. It's out of place. Even with all that noted, I still think it's a continuation of what they were doing. Their early material was always more focused on songwriting and melodies than that of other black/death metal bands.

That's true. Where They Lay was actually one of my favorites from it. But overall the bad outweighs the good for me. There were some great riffs throughout the album, just too much filler between them.

There are plenty of bands that go through a major change and still play old material though. I don't think it would throw things off for them to pick out some songs from their early albums. I think it would actually make the show more dynamic. And then there is of course the fan base. I know you enjoy the last two albums much more than the others, but there are plenty of fans who love the old ones. I think if they want to focus on playing newer material they should at least do a tour where they bring out some rarities, sort of like Iron Maiden did for the Somewhere Back in Time tour. I would be satisfied if they just did something like that.

ravenheart
02-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Not only are the recent Death Angel albums excellent, I actually enjoy them way more than the first two. In fact, I barely ever even listen to the first two anymore.

They're outstanding live too. In fact, there's only one negative about them, which is how shitty their live DVD/CD 'Sonic German Beatdown' is.

treghet
02-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Well, if they didn't reunite, that wouldn't be possible at all;)

Their live performance is not my gripe with them, it's the last three albums. As long as they still play some classics, why not take advantage of the opportunity to see them?

treghet
02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Not only are the recent Death Angel albums excellent, I actually enjoy them way more than the first two. In fact, I barely ever even listen to the first two anymore.

The last three albums more enjoyable than The Ultra-Violence? I've actually never heard anybody say that... ever. To each his own, but trust me when I say you're in the minority on that.

larvtard
02-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Their live performance is not my gripe with them, it's the last three albums. As long as they still play some classics, why not take advantage of the opportunity to see them?

:confused:

pick one:
>new albums that sound like nu-metal
>reunite to play the classics you've always loved

JUST KIDDING, YOU CAN'T JUST PICK ONE

So my question for you is, since you've expressed the desire to see them live, would you rather they didn't record shitty albums and never go on tour or record shitty albums and go on tour?

^That's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Voivod with Snake.

MetalIsArt
02-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Voivod with Snake.

That boring band? ;)

Death Angel's Five Steps To Freedom is one of their best!

treghet
02-26-2012, 09:14 AM
:confused:

pick one:
>new albums that sound like nu-metal
>reunite to play the classics you've always loved

JUST KIDDING, YOU CAN'T JUST PICK ONE

So my question for you is, since you've expressed the desire to see them live, would you rather they didn't record shitty albums and never go on tour or record shitty albums and go on tour?

^That's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

It's not that hard to understand. I would prefer they never got back together, but since they are, I might as well go hear some of my favorite thrash songs.

Also, ever since you started posting again you've had a shitty attitude towards everybody for no apparent reason. Pretty soon people are going to run out of patience with you.

ravenheart
02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
The last three albums more enjoyable than The Ultra-Violence? I've actually never heard anybody say that... ever. To each his own, but trust me when I say you're in the minority on that.

I know. But then, I find most old thrash pretty boring because it's all the same. Thrash (apart from Metallica and one or two others) didn't develop variety until later, and that's when it got FAR more interesting.

You're firmly in the "Death Angel shouldn't have reformed" minority, for sure.

You would presumably rather they pulled a Twisted Sister? Let's carry on playing but not risk recording anything new and just get all the suckers to pay for us to play the same hits over and over again?

I've had similar conversations about many bands over the years, some of whose new material I like, some of whose I don't, but it's all basically the same story. Everyone who says "they shouldn't have reformed" only ever does so with hindsight because they've not liked the albums since. You didn't know that until the albums were done, and taking the risk to create new music is ALWAYS preferable to not. Always. There's no place for cowardice or laziness.

larvtard
02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Also, ever since you started posting again you've had a shitty attitude towards everybody for no apparent reason. Pretty soon people are going to run out of patience with you.

Have I? My apologies. You've made no effort to hide the fact that you don't much care for me, so I will respond likewise. Nevertheless, I wasn't trying to convey a "shitty attitude," as you said, through my comment. My apologies if you read it that way.

Sorry if I sound like a snob now, but I'm trying not to be that awkward loser that every discussion board has.

treghet
02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I know. But then, I find most old thrash pretty boring because it's all the same. Thrash (apart from Metallica and one or two others) didn't develop variety until later, and that's when it got FAR more interesting.

You're firmly in the "Death Angel shouldn't have reformed" minority, for sure.

You would presumably rather they pulled a Twisted Sister? Let's carry on playing but not risk recording anything new and just get all the suckers to pay for us to play the same hits over and over again?

I've had similar conversations about many bands over the years, some of whose new material I like, some of whose I don't, but it's all basically the same story. Everyone who says "they shouldn't have reformed" only ever does so with hindsight because they've not liked the albums since. You didn't know that until the albums were done, and taking the risk to create new music is ALWAYS preferable to not. Always. There's no place for cowardice or laziness.

Yeah, I figured I would be. I wouldn't want them to pull a Twisted Sister either though. That would just reek of cash in. If they did one reunion tour or some select shows over the years that would be alright, but touring endlessly and consistently playing the same songs is a joke. But you are right, had I been a fan of Death Angel at the time they reunited, yeah, I would have been stoked they were writing new material. Unfortunately it just wasn't to my liking. There are a few bands I would rather not take that risk though. Carcass and Repulsion are good examples of that. I'm glad I saw both of them live, but the members of both bands have moved in totally different directions and I know if they ever recorded a new album it would just disappoint me.

mastodon421
02-26-2012, 10:09 AM
The only thing I agree with in this thread so far is Guns' N Roses should have broke up permanetly after Use Your Illusion 2.

treghet
02-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Have I? My apologies. You've made no effort to hide the fact that you don't much care for me, so I will respond likewise. Nevertheless, I wasn't trying to convey a "shitty attitude," as you said, through my comment. My apologies if you read it that way.

Sorry if I sound like a snob now, but I'm trying not to be that awkward loser that every discussion board has.

Apologies accepted man. And yeah, sorry I haven't been the nicest either. I know it's a hard transition and you'll find your way eventually. Learning to build confidence is a challenge. I don't want to go into a huge post about it here, but if you ever need some help or advice send a PM my way.

Spiner202
02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I have to disagree with Death Angel as well. I think their early output is overrated. The Ultra-Violence is amazing, but there are only a few tracks I like on Frolic Through the Park and Act III. The new albums aren't amazing, but they do have quite a few tracks I like, and the band is pretty good live as well. The one thing I wonder about is how popular bands like Death Angel would be if they didn't reform. It's hard enough to find their first two albums, but I imagine it would be extremely difficult to find them if they hadn't reformed.

brutal_descent
02-26-2012, 10:12 AM
The only thing I agree with in this thread so far is Guns' N Roses should have broke up permanetly after Use Your Illusion 2.

:fist:

BloodoftheKings
02-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Getting back to the original point of this thread, The Misfits reunion is completely pointless. When Jerry first put together the Misfits anniversary tour after the end of the graves era the idea of him, Dez Cadena, and Marky Ramone playing old songs wasn't too bad but then he kept it going way longer then it needed to. Project 1950 doesn't really need to exist and The Devil's Rain is an abomination. They also sound like shit live.

adamclark52
02-26-2012, 12:25 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I sorta wish Kyuss, Faith No More and Godspeed You! Black Emperor stayed broken up. Nothing bad has happened to all three yet but I don't want to see their reunions turn into something like the Smashing Pumpkins or Misfits reunions and tarnish their legacies.

I'd rather my last memory of Faith No More be Pristina rather than a bad album.

masterguy49
02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I wish for no band to stay broken up because I'm young and want to seem them live!

BloodoftheKings
02-26-2012, 12:40 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I sorta wish Kyuss, Faith No More and Godspeed You! Black Emperor stayed broken up. Nothing bad has happened to all three yet but I don't want to see their reunions turn into something like the Smashing Pumpkins or Misfits reunions and tarnish their legacies.

The Faith No More lineup is still the AOTY lineup so it's fine by me. If they do make another album I would have my doubts but nothing with Mike Patton on vocals has ever been bad.

elturtleboy
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Dead Kennedys
The Misfits
Terrorizer
Alice in Chains
Queen

Dextrimental
02-26-2012, 04:34 PM
The Misfits
Queen

Those are the two biggest for me, Misfits is a complete bastardization at this stage, and Queen just aren't the same without Freddy, he was too vital a member.

Alice In Chains, Thin Lizzy, and I've a funny feeling Guns N Roses when I see them this tour, all made believers out of me when I seen them.

With all the controversy, Black Sabbath shouldn't have pulled the trigger for this tour like they did!

IrritatedTrout
02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
I feel like Alice in Chains is one of those bands that did the reunion thing really well.

Sanitarium78
02-26-2012, 04:42 PM
but nothing with Mike Patton on vocals has ever been bad.

You must have never heard Anonymous from Tomahawk then. I seriously can't believe he would rather do that garbage instead of a new FNM album. I will say that FNM should've never reunited since it didn't result in anything. What pissed me off the most is that they screwed over their fans in north america who have been waiting years for them to get back together by not doing a tour here. Yet, they toured everywhere else in the world. If that isn't the biggest "fuck you" to their fanbase over here then I don't know what is.

ravenheart
02-26-2012, 05:27 PM
I've got one: Stone Temple Pilots.

Yes, a little hindsight maybe, but...

adamclark52
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
You must have never heard Anonymous from Tomahawk then. I seriously can't believe he would rather do that garbage instead of a new FNM album. I will say that FNM should've never reunited since it didn't result in anything. What pissed me off the most is that they screwed over their fans in north america who have been waiting years for them to get back together by not doing a tour here. Yet, they toured everywhere else in the world. If that isn't the biggest "fuck you" to their fanbase over here then I don't know what is.

I don't know about it being that much of a "fuck you" to their fans in North America. During their last days they were still pretty big in Europe and South America, while Album of the Year didn't make a dent in North American markets. So maybe it was just giving to the people who always loved them rather then the people who only cared when they were producing hits.

But they are notorious assholes...so it probably was a "fuck you" to North America.

Also I agree, Mike Patton has lent his voice to some terrible records. The last two Tomahawk (really all three suck), Peeping Tom and the last Fantomas especially.

adamclark52
02-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I feel like Alice in Chains is one of those bands that did the reunion thing really well.

Agreed, but Alice In Chains was/is largely Jerry Cantrell. I was surprised how they were able to find a new singer who had a voice so close to Layne Staley's.

powerslave_85
02-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Dead KennedysStarting what amounts to a tribute band with a new singer does not equal a reunion.

elturtleboy
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Starting what amounts to a tribute band with a new singer does not equal a reunion.

That's what they call it.

IMHO

Jello- probably punks best singer. Unfuckwithable.

Brandon Cruz- Meh ok, bleh. Obviously better in Dr. Know. And even then he wasn't my favorite singer for them.

Jeff Penalty - Really cool nice young guy. Obviously not Jello but I wouldn't mind seeing them. He too got fucked over by them.

Skip- officially killed the band.

BloodoftheKings
02-26-2012, 07:13 PM
At least the fake Dead Kennedys have the decency to not record any new material so it's easy to pretend they don't exist.

TonyD
02-26-2012, 10:06 PM
On paper I should hate everything about Alice in Chains, but given that I never saw the original lineup and that they sound great now, its not a big deal. Basically what AC/DC did but taking a 10 year break between singers.

Van Halen would have done themselves a favor by not waiting so goddamn long.

OraclesofAgony
02-26-2012, 11:24 PM
The only band I agree about in the Original Post is Terrorizer, even though I like the new album.

Epidemic Reign
02-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Black Sabbath, anyone? :lol:

MetalIsArt
02-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Isn't AC/DC the only band that had a popular singer replaced (unfortunately under bad circumstances, rock on Bon) and made a new album that was even more succesful than the previous ones?

It's still one of the best selling albums ever...

TonyD
02-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Black Sabbath, anyone? :lol:
Definitely, holding a fucking press conference to unveil "SUMMER DATES COMING SOON NEW ALBUM IN PROGRESS IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME" looks pretty bad already.

elturtleboy
02-27-2012, 12:19 AM
At least the fake Dead Kennedys have the decency to not record any new material so it's easy to pretend they don't exist.

They already wrote a new song and play it live. That's where I draw the line.

TonyD
02-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Isn't AC/DC the only band that had a popular singer replaced (unfortunately under bad circumstances, rock on Bon) and made a new album that was even more succesful than the previous ones?

It's still one of the best selling albums ever...

Yeah... but they probably have one good album worth of material out of the next 7-8 they released.

brutal_descent
02-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Yeah, the Dead Kennedys rewrote "MTV... Get Off the Air" to fit a modern setting, I think it's called "MP3... Get Off the Web".

hellawaits77ny
02-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Yeah... but they probably have one good album worth of material out of the next 7-8 they released.

If that. Maybe 1 EP

MetalIsArt
02-27-2012, 04:05 AM
If that. Maybe 1 EP

Don't agree. It started to go really downhill with Fly On The Wall.

The Razor's Edge was a great comeback, more in terms of sales, (even though it's not their worst imo) and I really like all the albums they've released since. Rudd is as important to their sound as Young/Young.

mastodon421
02-27-2012, 04:13 AM

This. The best reunion that I can think of by far. William DuVall completely does justice to the old songs live. At times, he honestly sounded so much like Layne that it was scary.

BloodoftheKings
02-27-2012, 04:18 AM
Yeah, the Dead Kennedys rewrote "MTV... Get Off the Air" to fit a modern setting, I think it's called "MP3... Get Off the Web".

That's ridiculous. While I don't have the lyrics to this new version "MP3 Get Off the Web" it sounds like something that would be the exact opposite of the old DK's point of view. Jello would never sing a song about how people should stop downloading.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zjh2tzCvVVE/Spsthd6_8gI/AAAAAAAACxI/SrbpxvwHhBQ/s400/dk.jpg

El Gordo
02-27-2012, 04:48 AM

I have no opinion on Faith No More or Godspeed, but I can't agree with Kyuss. People have been wanting a Kyuss reunion for a loooong time, and I'm glad they just said "fuck Josh, let's do this" because the show I went to was fucking awesome. If they end up doing a new album, my opinion may change however, so I know where you're coming from.

RampinUp46
04-12-2012, 09:33 PM
This. The best reunion that I can think of by far. William DuVall completely does justice to the old songs live. At times, he honestly sounded so much like Layne that it was scary.

Definitely.

I also agree about the Dead Kennedys and the Misfits. The former isn't the same without Jello, and I personally didn't care for the latter post-Danzig.

El Gordo
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Surprised nobody said Nuclear Assault. Third World Genocide was fucking horrible!

John The Drummer
04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Surprised nobody said Nuclear Assault. Third World Genocide was fucking horrible!

I hate that band. My band in high school got offered a slot to open for them, and they didn't even show up to the show. The management of the venue had no idea either, it was a mess.

El Gordo
04-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I hate that band. My band in high school got offered a slot to open for them, and they didn't even show up to the show. The management of the venue had no idea either, it was a mess.

That sucks. Game Over, Survive & Handle With Care are still great albums though.

Dextrimental
04-13-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing if Ugly Kid Joe can still produce the goods, they're playing Graspop so hopefully.