PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place online to purchase CDs?

kalfitegrdan
02-22-2012, 04:56 AM
I'll be quite honest, I usually just download most of my music, but I've decided this year to start purchasing more CDs (Mostly because of the closure of my personal favorite torrent site, but it's the thought that counts ;)) and there aren't any record stores in my town, except for Best Buy, which doesn't cut it for 90% of what I want. I usually just use Amazon, but I'd like to get some opinions on this, like what site is best for used CDs and which one for new and which one has the best selection and where has the best prices.

IrritatedTrout
02-22-2012, 05:36 AM
I either use Amazon or Ebay.

MetalIsArt
02-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Amazon mostly.

I have Itunes and an Ipod (which is more good looking than good working), but I'll be a "CD man" until it's impossible to buy them.

kalfitegrdan
02-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Amazon mostly.

I have Itunes and an Ipod (which is more good looking than good working), but I'll be a "CD man" until it's impossible to buy them.

Yeah, I have an iPod and I absolutely hate buying stuff from iTunes because they don't actually really let you 'have' the songs you buy and I like to actually have the album booklet and such, not their digital version of it.

smearCampaign
02-22-2012, 06:09 AM
For more obscure stuff I have had good experiences ordering from Hell's Headbangers (http://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/Metal_CDs_black_death_thrash_grind_heavy_doom.asp) and Nuclear War Now (http://www.nwnprod.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24).

Natrlhi
02-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Amazon is good for leading you to sellers of used stuff, if you're into that. I almost never buy stuff brand new anymore. Actually, I take that back. I buy stuff from bands on tour if I like their albums, but when it comes to back-filling my CD collection with stuff I've been meaning to buy from the bands while on tour and didn't, then I usually go to the brick & mortar used CD stores, or the web.

That said, back to my main point. Amazon can point you in the direction of some good used CD sellers. I've had good luck in the past with goHastings, MovieMars and Newbury Comics.

I've also had good luck buying from individual sellers on Half.com (a sister site of eBay that specializes in books, CD's and DVD's, and follows the same structure as eBay in terms of having a buyer / seller feedback system and the like).

If you're looking to buy stuff new, I would actually recommend going directly to the web sites for the various labels, or the distros they work with. I've bought from sources such as Relapse, Profound Lore, Hydra Head (bluecollardistro), Sargent House (hellomerch.com), The End (theomegaorder.com), and the like. Also, indiemerchstore.com is a distro that covers a number of different labels like Translation Loss, Prosthetic, Earache, Temporary Residence, Willowtip, TeePee, etc.

Hope that helps. Happy shopping. IF YOU LIKE IT, FUCKING BUY IT.

ravenheart
02-22-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't care who the individual sellers are on Amazon when I buy stuff. It's irrelevant who has a track record of being good and who doesn't. You're protected either way.

Just buy whatever you want on the Amazon Marketplace. If it turns up and it's not in the condition described, you email the seller and say so. If they're decent they'll replace or refund. If they're not you put in a formal claim on the order to Amazon and they'll get your money back for you. You can't lose.

Natrlhi
02-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Andy is correct. I was just mentioning the couple of seller's I've purchased from in the past because I know they're OK.

illninoese
02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
CD Baby usually carries a lot of hard to find stuff and decent prices. If you have an FYE around you go there and check the used CD's on a weekly basis. EveryDay Music in Portland,OR takes orders via telephone. It is honestly the biggest used record store I have ever been to and they have 4 locations just in the Portland area. Used CD's range from $3 to $8.50 on most. They do special orders too.

MetalIsArt
02-22-2012, 09:17 AM
I have had nothing but good experiences on Amazon, but I must add that I always buy "new". When it's possible to buy a digipack and/or a limited edition, I surely won't hesitate.

Not only the CD's are in good quality, the PS3 games and the occasional other stuff (like the Sony hifi system with Ipod dock I bought at the end of last year) are always top notch.

MetalIsArt
02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I have an iPod and I absolutely hate buying stuff from iTunes because they don't actually really let you 'have' the songs you buy and I like to actually have the album booklet and such, not their digital version of it.

In belgium you can't even buy long songs, say 10 minutes or more, from bands like Dream Theater, UNLESS you buy the whole album.

:eyes:

TonyD
02-22-2012, 09:47 AM
That's the way it is a lot of the time on iTunes.
They're obviously not gonna let you have two 10-minute songs for $2 when the 4 song album is $8.

adamclark52
02-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Amazon is really good and can be more reliable but eBay has pretty much everything you could ever want. You can find some RARE old shit on eBay and I've only had two problems with sellers on eBay out of one hundred purchases (neither were CD's). Those are pretty mainstream sites, maybe if you dig deeper like some of the other posters have said you may find something better. But as a starting base those two sites.

In the debate of which is better, in my opinion: eBay.

kalfitegrdan
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm gonna have to check out some of these places. I guess I'll have to make an eBay account. I never have before because I was too lazy to make a Paypal account. I usually buy most shit used, unless I can find it close to the same price new, so eBay should work well.

powerslave_85
02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Half.com in general. You can usually get a ridiculous deal, and I've never had anything arrive in worse condition than advertised.

JRA
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Amazon.

DementedX14
02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Can't go wrong with Amazon. I find ebay a little too complicated sometimes.

dcmetal108
02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Find a Disc Replay around you. That's where I buy most of mine.

metallicbrian666
02-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Find a Disc Replay around you. That's where I buy most of mine.
This guy has the right idea

GarageMetal468
02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
The nearest Disc Replay from where he lives (and where I go to school) is like 35 minutes away. And even then it's really hit or miss at that one.

dcmetal108
02-22-2012, 03:50 PM
I'd also suggest trying to find a "Half Price Books" near you though those are closer to the city I think. Found TONS of metal cds there for $1.00.

mankvill
02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
I've always found through record labels themselves. I also subscribe to some and get newsletters from them on a pretty frequent basis so I can see what they have. Willowtip, Ibex Moon and Nuclear War Now! immediately come to mind. Century Media also has a pretty good websotre, as does Nuclear Blast and Relapse.

@dcmetal: We have a Half-Price Books here, but I can never find metal. :'(

dcmetal108
02-22-2012, 04:16 PM
I've always found through record labels themselves. I also subscribe to some and get newsletters from them on a pretty frequent basis so I can see what they have. Willowtip, Ibex Moon and Nuclear War Now! immediately come to mind. Century Media also has a pretty good websotre, as does Nuclear Blast and Relapse.

@dcmetal: We have a Half-Price Books here, but I can never find metal. :'(

The one by me has tons of metal cd's in their clearence section. For vinyl they mainly have hard rock and 80's metal.

But I mean I download alot of cds but I also buy tons of vinyl, cds, and go to alot of shows so I don't feel bad for downloading stuff.

Seventhzealot
02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
I follow a lot of labels on Facebook and usually prefer ordering CDs from them directly. A lot of occasions they also provide many attractive offers so its well worth it.

Other times I'd just purchase it directly from the band or there are some really good offers on Amazon too with the Prime shipping if you're a college student.

hellawaits77ny
02-22-2012, 08:51 PM
As many people have already said, Amazon.com is the way to go. eBay can be ok, too. I may buy 5-6 new CDs a year, and the majority of the others are used from Amazon.

ravenheart
02-23-2012, 03:07 AM
In belgium you can't even buy long songs, say 10 minutes or more, from bands like Dream Theater, UNLESS you buy the whole album.

:eyes:

That's the same here.

By the way, check out WOW-HD. Free delivery to most countries in Europe, and prices can often be very good because one of their suppliers is in South America. South American editions usually have the bonus tracks from European special editions on them. Very good for labels like Frontiers, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Metal Blade and Napalm. You just have to keep checking back and wait for the inevitable reduction to £5.99 :D I've bought loads of stuff like Jon Oliva's Pain, Savatage, Edguy, etc. from there at that price. I guess you'd probably be best off with the Dutch version at www.wowhd.nl, or the UK version at www.wowhd.co.uk

There's a US version too. www.wowhd.us

kalfitegrdan
02-23-2012, 04:35 AM
God damn, DeKalb sucks, there used to be three awesome independent record stores here, but they all went out of business. I wish I had a FYE within like 30 miles of me. I might have to check out a Disc Replay or a Half Price Books next time I'm out in the suburbs. Until then, I'm stuck with online purchases and Best Buy's shitty selection, but on the plus side, I have a bunch of new websites to check out.

Does anyone from the Chicago area know if there's any of those three stores mentioned above in Elgin? I'm gonna be there on Saturday and would like to check it out. I'm pretty sure there's no FYE. I already checked that a few days ago.

Epidemic Reign
02-23-2012, 05:03 AM
I also prefer to go through the band's label or official merch store, or Amazon. Though we have some decent record stores in AZ and I'm also a big fan of the iTunes store. I rather like to sacrifice the piece of plastic sitting on my shelf for the convenience of being able to purchase and listen to an album instantly from the comfort of my home computer.

kalfitegrdan
02-23-2012, 05:06 AM
I also prefer to go through the band's label or official merch store, or Amazon. Though we have some decent record stores in AZ and I'm also a big fan of the iTunes store. I rather like to sacrifice the piece of plastic sitting on my shelf for the convenience of being able to purchase and listen to an album instantly from the comfort of my home computer.

Personally, I like my pieces of plastic.

MetalIsArt
02-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Other Amazon advantages: very quick delivery and not too many "extra costs".

I used to buy everything at Dis-order (now Discorder), but there were too expensive, even their base prices. They are no longer a metal only seller, but that's not a problem of course.

ravenheart
02-23-2012, 05:11 AM
being able to purchase and listen to an album instantly from the comfort of my home computer.

I do the first part, and am not impatient enough for the second part to matter.

Natrlhi
02-23-2012, 05:57 AM
Amazon is good for leading you to sellers of used stuff, if you're into that. I almost never buy stuff brand new anymore. Actually, I take that back. I buy stuff from bands on tour if I like their albums, but when it comes to back-filling my CD collection with stuff I've been meaning to buy from the bands while on tour and didn't, then I usually go to the brick & mortar used CD stores, or the web.

That said, back to my main point. Amazon can point you in the direction of some good used CD sellers. I've had good luck in the past with goHastings, MovieMars and Newbury Comics.

I've also had good luck buying from individual sellers on Half.com (a sister site of eBay that specializes in books, CD's and DVD's, and follows the same structure as eBay in terms of having a buyer / seller feedback system and the like).

If you're looking to buy stuff new, I would actually recommend going directly to the web sites for the various labels, or the distros they work with. I've bought from sources such as Relapse, Profound Lore, Hydra Head (bluecollardistro), Sargent House (hellomerch.com), The End (theomegaorder.com), and the like. Also, indiemerchstore.com is a distro that covers a number of different labels like Translation Loss, Prosthetic, Earache, Temporary Residence, Willowtip, TeePee, etc.

Hope that helps. Happy shopping. IF YOU LIKE IT, FUCKING BUY IT.I think my post on the first page pretty much covered everything that's been re-iterated so far, so yeah.

Amazon
eBay
Half.com (a variation on the eBay idea)
Buy direct from the labels / bands
Online distros

Also, the brick-and-mortar stores are always good, but you didn't ask about that. In my experience, Half Price Books has fuckall of a selection for metal. dcmetal must just be lucky. There are places like The Exchange (they sell new and used music, movies and vidja games) near me that are decent, though. My favorite store is the local indie record shop, but they are generally high priced because they are independent and thus have relatively high overhead costs to pay.

Speaking of which, since you did seem to express an interest in this option, why aren't you hitting up Reckless Records, Laurie’s Planet of Sound, the music store at Reggie's, or other places like that? Fuck the fuck out of Best Buy and FYE, man. That would be my absolute last resort. Shitty selection and high prices for no reason? No thanks.

Epidemic Reign
02-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Personally, I like my pieces of plastic.

I don't have anything against the plastic, but for me personally, I have no need for them. I still buy them when it's convenient enough but I run all of my music through my computer or iPod either way.

The artwork and the booklets don't really matter to me. Not saying they shouldn't to somebody else, but really the music is all I care about.

Epidemic Reign
02-23-2012, 06:21 AM
I do the first part, and am not impatient enough for the second part to matter.

I simply am. To each his own.

ravenheart
02-23-2012, 06:31 AM

Someone EMP his house ;)

MetalIsArt
02-23-2012, 07:30 AM

I like teh magic of them nice booklets. Luckily we metalfans are still buying CD's & LP's. It's perfectly possible to do it and have Itunes too, like when you're on yer bike or on holiday.

To those who disagree:

http://i43.tinypic.com/25phb8m.jpg

adamclark52
02-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm glad to hear people are still buying CD's, even if the artists get very little money from them it's a matter of principle to me. It is way too expensive sometimes but I can't justify it. How can you say you're a fan of a band when you don't even pay money for their music? I went download crazy when Napster first started in 1999 but stopped cold about seven years ago and threw out all my ripped CD's. Now I've downloaded a grand total of five songs of iTunes and don't even know what a "torrent" is.

MetalIsArt
02-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm glad to hear people are still buying CD's, even if the artists get very little money from them it's a matter of principle to me. It is way too expensive sometimes but I can't justify it. How can you say you're a fan of a band when you don't even pay money for their music? I went download crazy when Napster first started in 1999 but stopped cold about seven years ago and threw out all my ripped CD's. Now I've downloaded a grand total of five songs of iTunes and don't even know what a "torrent" is.

I used to download from Shareaza. I tried Kazaa for a while, but it ruined my computer. After that, I had a strong firewall which made it impossible to install that junk. It won't start on my laptop (which I have since the end of 2008) too, factory made already lol.

I've a few full albums on Itunes, like Ride The Lightning or Appetite For Destruction. Most of those I also own as a CD and he rest of the songs are selected ones that I just can't miss or from other genres than Metal/Hardrock.

There a few Metalbands that I only have on Itunes, like Arch Enemy or Morbid Angel I must admit. But that's because I want to have something from every metalgenre and I only pick their best songs then.

I currently own about 4-500 albums and there are 60 something that I still need to buy; gotta watch my space.

kalfitegrdan
02-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Speaking of which, since you did seem to express an interest in this option, why aren't you hitting up Reckless Records, Laurie’s Planet of Sound, the music store at Reggie's, or other places like that? Fuck the fuck out of Best Buy and FYE, man. That would be my absolute last resort. Shitty selection and high prices for no reason? No thanks.

I have no idea where the first two are and I do buy stuff from Recordbreakers (Reggie's) some of the time when I'm there for shows, but I do live about sixty miles from the city which makes it like $25 dollars in gas for a trip to the record store

dcmetal108
02-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I have no idea where the first two are and I do buy stuff from Recordbreakers (Reggie's) some of the time when I'm there for shows, but I do live about sixty miles from the city which makes it like $25 dollars in gas for a trip to the record store

You, me , JD, and Garagemetal all need to go record shopping together since I've never been to the record store at Reggies.

GarageMetal468
02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
You, me , JD, and Garagemetal all need to go record shopping together since I've never been to the record store at Reggies.

It's pretty good. I've been meaning to check out Reckless Records for sometime, I've heard that place is the closest thing to Metal Haven in terms of CDs/vinyl.

dcmetal108
02-23-2012, 05:59 PM
It's pretty good. I've been meaning to check out Reckless Records for sometime, I've heard that place is the closest thing to Metal Haven in terms of CDs/vinyl.

I've only been to the Reckless Records on Milwaukee by the Double Door and it is like Metal heaven and I heard the one I go to is the smallest one of them all.

OraclesofAgony
02-23-2012, 06:17 PM
My three sources for CDs are:

1. Amazon
2. Record Label Sites (If I'm preordering a bundle or something that can't be found on Amazon)
3. The Record store near my college. Can usually find a lot of good stuff there and people trade in used CDs all the time.

kalfitegrdan
02-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I've only been to the Reckless Records on Milwaukee by the Double Door and it is like Metal heaven and I heard the one I go to is the smallest one of them all.

I'm interested as shit in this Reckless Records place.

dcmetal108
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm interested as shit in this Reckless Records place.

It really is almost music heaven. It mainly has vinyl though.

kalfitegrdan
02-24-2012, 07:36 PM
It really is almost music heaven. It mainly has vinyl though.

Awww...

dcmetal108
02-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Awww...

The one by me has small sections of cd randomly around the place. I don't know how the others one are. JD's been to them so you'll have to ask him.