PDA

View Full Version : In Flames -- Brooklyn, NY -- November 19th, 1999

Maideneer
02-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Venue: L'amour

My first In Flames show I ever saw and I have been looking for AGES to find this set list. Somebody had a bootleg online and posted the set list so I almost found it through dumb luck. Moonspell was the opener on this tour, another thing I forgot!

I got to see Stand Ablaze and didn't even remember lol. This was an amazing tour, I bought a Colony long-sleeved shirt for $20. I had only slight knowledge who this band was, my friend dragged me along and thank god he did. Once I heard Ordinary Story, I was hooked. And god bless the internet, I would have never have found this set list had it not been for technology.

Embody The Invisible
Jotun
Gyroscope
Stand Ablaze
Clad In Shadows
Insipid 2000
Moonshield
Zombie Inc.
Scorn
Colony
Ordinary Story
Behind Space
Episode 666

InFlamesOfBirchmen
02-17-2012, 08:59 AM
I just flipped out at that set....then I noticed it was from 1999.

zerkz
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
I imagine it was something like this...

http://youtu.be/RdNULZtrS2w

Maideneer
02-17-2012, 09:14 AM
I imagine it was something like this...

http://youtu.be/RdNULZtrS2w

lol I was watching this exact video before I posted this.

maidenpriest
02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Fucking jealous. If they played half of these songs on any given tour I'd see them instantly

VoidFlame
02-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Holy fuck. I would kill for this.

bigguytoo9
02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Whoracle used to be a HUGE album for me.

Coma323
02-18-2012, 03:14 AM
God damn this is awesome.

Last time I saw them was Gigantour with Megadeth and the few older songs they played were played so lifelessly.

gabo03
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Bootleg link please

adamclark52
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Maideneer...You bastard!!! I found my set from the In Flames show I saw in Toronto (on this very same tour a few weeks after this one) and was going to post it to rub it in everyone's face...and you ruined it!!!!!

Anyways here it is. I too had very little idea of who In Flames were before this show. My friend Will told me we had to go and played me a bit of their stuff. To me they sounded like a radio-friendly version of Opeth. I've never been the hugest fan but it was still a really good show, with Moonspell, a Toronto band called Solus and one other band I forget, at a small club in Toronto called the Kathedral.

1. Embody the Invisible 

2. Jotun 

3. Gyroscope 

4. Stand Ablaze 

5. Clad in Shadows 

6. Scorn 

7. Colony 

8. Insipid 2000 

9. Zombie Inc. 

10. Moonshield 

11. Artifacts of the Black Rain 

12. Ordinary Story 

13. Behind Space 

14. Episode 666

fletchzer
02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Man, these setlists destroy. Their new live show incorporates barely anything from their best era.

First time I saw them was in '04 for the STYE tour in Australia, we at least got Episode 666, Food for the Gods, Gyroscope, Pinball Map & Behind Space. Would have killed for more off Colony.

Saw them last fortnight at the Wiltern. Good live show, but poor setlist.

They're doing Soundwave down here later this month, but I don't think it'd justify seeing them again!

Maideneer
02-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Bootleg link please

They had the set list up but the link was deactivated a while ago sorry.

WhatifCliffneverdied?
02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
.....wow, how the mighty have fallen.

I was at that show and it was unbelievable. Pure concentrated awesomeness by a band that was still on top of its game.

DrPogo
02-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I have the bootleg of this show, PM for files.

Steve, I compressed it and can send it to you or burn it for you for the next show we go to.

(Or you can borrow one of my flash drives with the files on it)

Maideneer
08-15-2014, 08:56 AM
With the recent announcement of the In Flames/Opeth 2014 tour, I got all sad because I might not get to go to it...unless I drive to Chicago. I then got nostalgic so forgive me...it's really hitting me hard right now about where my life has taken me all these years after this show. I essentially grew up with In Flames and 15 years has gone by in a flash. I still remember being front row for this and giving Jesper my brand new NY Yankees hat as a welcome to NY for the first time gift. I was leaning against his monitor and tapping along with what they were playing, but apparently was covering up part of the speaker. He started tapping on my arm with his foot along with the music at the same time but in truth it was to ask me to move my arm haha. It's the smallest things that stick with you for some reason.

Thank the good lord I'm old enough to have seen this 1999 tour and every tour since. I remember the build up like it was fucking yesterday...the Milwaukee Metalfest was really the absolute first time a bunch of European bands like this gathered to play in the US. Sure there were some tours before here and maybe there (At The Gates 1996 comes to mind), but that event was the catalyst and beginning to why all your favorite bands play the states so often now. It was so incredibly rare to see one of these bands tour, but good luck finding a record in a store...hell back then, you couldn't even find Helloween records at retail. It was mail-order only baby, I used to sit there with a yellow magic marker and the Relapse, Nuclear Blast and Century Media (Century Black especially!) catalogs and hours and hours would go by with me highlighting which records I wanted. The little printed lines with the band and album and underneath that a small description of what the band was categorized in was what you did to learn. No Youtube, Amazon (it existed but there were certainly no In Flames records there), etc., this was work, but fun work...I would take that any day.

Anyway, Jack Koshick who ran that Milwaukee Metalfest event was a sleazy swindling cheat and thief, but by some divine order, that event used to go off without a hitch until he got run out of town basically. Opeth, Cradle of Filth, In Flames, Krisiun, Marduk, Mental Home, Mactatus, Satyricon, Dawn, Emperor, Hypocrisy, just unreal. Those 97-99 festivals allow you to see Children of Bodom every 6 months. Know your history!

I got to see Stand Ablaze, Jotun, Moonshield, most of the Colony record, and Episode 666 closed every show for years after that. Now look at the state of things.

I literally can't believe I was lucky enough to be around and actively into this music at this exact time in the world, what a blessing.

markrz
08-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Good reminiscing, man. Getting into metal for me was a slow process; I was first becoming aware of bands like this in circa 1998-99, but I wasn't really immersed until several years later.

AnthG
08-15-2014, 12:45 PM
I think Katatonia played Milwaukee Metalfest (not sure which year, if there were more than one) and I think they said it was one of the worst shows they've ever played.

Maideneer
08-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Yup that was 2000 I believe. It started to go down hill after '99 with numerous cancellations and confusion on all sides.

Opeth played the same show, so did King Diamond and Entombed. Actually so did Children of Bodom and Mayhem.

Anathema, Einherjer and Limbonic Art did 2001, not bad either now that I see it!

Naglfar, Enslaved, Lullacry and FUCKING Windir did 2003, the last year of the fest.

Coma323
08-15-2014, 01:02 PM
I think Katatonia played Milwaukee Metalfest (not sure which year, if there were more than one) and I think they said it was one of the worst shows they've ever played.
Yeah that was 2000. I've read that on the internet before also. I know someone in Opeth has also listed one of the Milwaukee Metalfest shows as one of their worst shows also.

Maideneer
08-15-2014, 01:12 PM
/tq_a3aZ31RM

/_06mrHDB1tY

/XqKtfVmPTDQ

/RsqeoHN1CrU

/DjqeIW5OSvQ

Chris_M_S
08-15-2014, 05:27 PM
I first got into them in 2002 when Reroute to Remain had just come out. It's not their best record, but it has its place and purpose. It was definitely a stepping stone for me as I was getting into heavier stuff. I saw them open for Mudvayne in Oklahoma City and thought it was great (this was when they were in their short-sleeve business shirt and tie mode, like your 8th grade science teacher). Once I got more into their catalog I realized it wasn't them at their best, but it was still better than pretty much every subsequent show of theirs that I'd see. I do have to say I saw them on the Lamb of God tour in 2012 and they had some fresh life in them. But I'll always have a soft spot for those guys, even if I'm not compelled to go see them anymore. And I made a vow that I'd never sit through an Opeth set again, so I'll probably miss this one.

Piroxen
08-17-2014, 07:13 AM
This set is almost perfect. However, it should contain few more songs from The Jester's Race. It is their most obscure album when it comes to live shows.

Star MTN.
08-23-2014, 04:46 PM
I was at this show as well! what a show, my buddies band was the first opener called Arbitrary back then. I remember earth crisis playing that show as well, dont remember moonspell though. Was my first time hearing in flames and fell in love with them there. when they teased raining blood during scorn, that was freaking awesome!

Thanks for posting!:rocker:

Derelict
08-25-2014, 01:00 PM
I also went to one of these shows on this tour

http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=9282

adamclark52
08-25-2014, 01:44 PM
I also went to one of these shows on this tour

http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=9282

Wow, this forum really has had an exodus of posters. Who are all those people?

Derelict
08-27-2014, 06:24 AM

Haha, was thinking that too.

MetalIsArt
08-28-2014, 05:42 AM

They quit after hearing In Flames' last couple of albums.

YippiCola
08-28-2014, 07:25 AM
I was at this show as well! what a show, my buddies band was the first opener called Arbitrary back then. I remember earth crisis playing that show as well, dont remember moonspell though. Was my first time hearing in flames and fell in love with them there. when they teased raining blood during scorn, that was freaking awesome!

Thanks for posting!:rocker:

I think you're talking about a different show that took place the next year as that is when they were touring with Earth Crisis. I also don't think they were already doing the Raining Blood bit in '99.

es156
08-28-2014, 06:32 PM

There are some that I don't even remember. But posters tend to only last for awhile here. They grow up/move on, various reasons, whatever. There is almost no one left from the early days. Actually, yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the board. That probably deserves a thread or something.

Xenocide
09-02-2014, 07:55 AM
That set :drool: