PDA

View Full Version : What's the heaviest song you've ever heard?

Epidemic Reign
02-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Thought this would be a cool idea for a thread becuase people seem to have differing opinions on what the definition of "HEAVY" is.

So! What's the heaviest song you've ever heard? Or perhaps, provide a list. Whatever floats your boat. But please explain *why* you feel that it is the HEAVIEST! :rocker:

christopher
02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Corrupted - El Mundo Frio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgPUqdOsU5U)

There's no need to explain.

Epidemic Reign
02-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Holy fuck dude, this song is long :lol:

mankvill
02-07-2012, 12:09 AM
I know a few that are super heavy, but the heaviest I've ever heard is Coffins - Under The Stench

Slow and crunching death doom. Oh god its amazing

christopher
02-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Holy fuck dude, this song is long :lol:

Imagine having to sit through that live!! I literally felt like I was in a trance. The heavy part starts around 10 minutes and then the vocals kick in around minute 15 or minute 25, I don't remember. Corrupted is the heaviest band out there. :rocker:

Epidemic Reign
02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
I know a few that are super heavy, but the heaviest I've ever heard is Coffins - Under The Stench

Slow and crunching death doom. Oh god its amazing

:rocker:

Good stuff! I have their split with The Arm and Sword of a Bastard God, but I've never heard this song before.

Epidemic Reign
02-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Imagine having to sit through that live!! I literally felt like I was in a trance. The heavy part starts around 10 minutes and then the vocals kick in around minute 15 or minute 25, I don't remember. Corrupted is the heaviest band out there. :rocker:

Jesus christ man, I wasn't expecting something that ridiculously fucking epic heavy :lol: thanks for sharing!

mankvill
02-07-2012, 12:24 AM
A few others that come to mind:

Bolt Thrower - The Killchain
Cannibal Corpse - Death Walking Terror
Asphyx - Serenade In Lead

Epidemic Reign
02-07-2012, 12:33 AM
A few others that come to mind:

Cannibal Corpse - Death Walking Terror
Asphyx - Serenade In Lead

Absolutely agree with all of those. Although I think "Scorbutics" may be possibly the heaviest Asphyx song ever!

adamclark52
02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Triptykon's 'Abyss Within My Soul'
the first verse in Messhuggah's 'Pravus' (around the 1:12 mark)

VoidFlame
02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
The last riff (or note) in Cough's Ritual Abuse. Extremely heavy.
The new Cannibal Corpse song, Scourge of Iron.
Burning the Altar by YOB.
Cathedral's Enter the Worms. :horns:

VoidFlame
02-07-2012, 10:39 AM

I agree A LOT with this.

makethemsuffer12
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
The new Cannibal Corpse song, Scourge of Iron.

:fist:

Off the top of my head, God of Emptiness.

OraclesofAgony
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
That is a very hard question to answer. But I can say that the most recent heaviest song for me is probably "Haunting Abound" by Hate Eternal. Those opening riffs sound and feel so crushing to me, then it builds up a little tension with an atmospheric melodic section, and breaks into a simple but incredibly headbangable riff. And then after the solo comes another ridiculously heavy riff to close it out.

Erik Rutan has written some of the heaviest stuff I think. "I, Monarch" is another good example. It builds the tension in the beginning with that eerie intro, then breaks into that earth shattering riff.

Natrlhi
02-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Curious choice. I would probably have picked something from "Realm of Chaos", like "World Eater" or "Eternal War" (or even "Through the Eye of Terror"). I love "The Killchain", but I've always considered that one more "riffy" than flat-out "heavy".

...and no Anal Athkrakh? Really? :eek: :nonono:

Anyhow, as has been previously said, it depends on one's definition of "heavy", but the following joynts come to mind:

Batillus - Deadweight
Indian - Los Nietos
Cobalt - Arsonry
Gojira - The Heaviest Matter of the Universe (or maybe Backbone)
Pig Destroyer - Loathsome
Origin - Antithesis
Obscura - Ocean Gateways
Nile - 4th Arra of Dagon
Meshuggah - Lethargica (or Perpetual Black Second)
Disma - Chasm of Oceanus
Torche - Meanderthal (or Tarpit Carnivore)
Zozobra - Heavy with Shadows

...and what would a list like this be without a couple of old-school shout-outs?

Death - Pull the Plug
Pestilence - Deify Thy Master
Morbid Angel - Chapel of Ghouls

mastodon421
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Suffocation-Thrones of Blood
Cattle Decapitation-Regret and the Grave
Gojira-Backbone

jd091
02-07-2012, 11:07 AM
A couple different definitions for me:

Option 1: Hatebreed (Burn the Lies, Conceived Through An Act of Violence, Perseverence, Bloodsoaked Memories)

Heavy hardcore is my personal favorite type of heavy, and nobody does it heavier than Hatebreed. It's just pure, unrefined hate in musical form, overflowing with energy. I love it. My favorite type of lifting music, too. Modern shit like Harm's Way or Nails come close to this type of heavy.

Option 2: Meshuggah (Lethargica, Rational Gaze, Stengah, Perpetual Black Second)

Self-explanatory. If you don't get the "heavy" here, you're deaf.

Option 3: Nile (Eat of the Dead, Sarcophagus, Ramses Bringer of War)

Some of the heaviest shit I've ever seen live, and my favorite "heavy" death metal band. Their fast stuff is awesome, but the slow stuff is just crushing.

Natrlhi
02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
^ Good picks, for obvious reasons (ref: my post above :D).

I had considered "Sarcophagus" and "Stengah" as well. ;)

EDIT: "Rational Gaze" is an interesting pick. Down-tuned? Yup. Heavy? Meh. I suppose.

jd091
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
^ Good picks, for obvious reasons (ref: my post above :D).

I had considered "Sarcophagus" and "Stengah" as well. ;)

Ah, nice pick on 4th Arra of Dagon. Forgot about that one. And I forgot Gojira... Vacuity was pretty fucking crushing live.

ravenheart
02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Down - Bury Me In Smoke, anyone?

OraclesofAgony
02-07-2012, 11:32 AM

Yeah for sure. Even heavier live!

street_burial
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLRGf4ZDvEs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gCvOoQbxg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7AQ7No84Uc

so. fucking. heavy.

Natrlhi
02-07-2012, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLRGf4ZDvEs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gCvOoQbxg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7AQ7No84UcMy responses are:

> You dick.
> Actually heavy, but extremely shitty and painful to listen to.
> That's just bad parenting right there.

...in that order.

El Gordo
02-07-2012, 11:44 AM

This is an excellent choice.

MPF
02-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Triptykon- A Thousand Lies

Musically, lyrically and overall the heaviest song I've heard.

treghet
02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Celtic Frost - Procreation (of the Wicked)
Death - Leprosy
Hate Eternal - I, Monarch
Malevolent Creation - Ethnic Cleansing
Nile - 4th Arra of Dagon
Obituary - Dying
Pestilence - Out of the Body
Suffocation - Liege of Inveracity

Natrlhi
02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Celtic Frost - Procreation (of the Wicked)Yes.

All of the Triptykon selections work for me, too.

Death - LeprosyI thought about this one as well.

Pestilence - Out of the BodyIt was either this or "Deify". I chose the latter, but this is also quite valid. :fist:

powerslave_85
02-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Sleater-Kinney- "The Fox"

Serious answer? I dunno. Probably something by Boris. "Loathsome" by Pig Destroyer is a pretty good pick too.

mankvill
02-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Procreation of the Wicked live by Celtic Frost or Triptykon...there's no equal. Heavy.

Also the whole Boris album Amplifier Worship.

:drool:

dcmetal108
02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
My responses are:

> You dick.
> Actually heavy, but extremely shitty and painful to listen to.
> That's just bad parenting right there.

...in that order.

It'd be alot better without the horrible lyrics.

illuminatus917
02-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Emmure is a turd. Better lyrics would be like trying to polish the turd. You can polish a turd all you want, but it's still a turd.

jd091
02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Emmure is a turd. Better lyrics would be like trying to polish the turd. You can polish a turd all you want, but it's still a turd.

http://ocobiega.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Poker_FaceCzyste.png

Sepultura69
02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
well i feel a little embarrassed right now :eyes: :hecho:

because I guess my definition of heavy differs greatly from a lot of people on this board, While I do love me some death metal,thrash and douse me some of that black while you're at it, I don't find any of those songs to be "Heavy" at all in the least. Awesome and great to go crazy too across the hallway? hell fucking yes. I guess when I think of heavy a lot of songs and shit that come to my mind are stuff like

Lord of This World(with some awesome headphones, cranked at maximum volume till your ears shatter) and pretty much every song off Master of Reality - Black Sabbath

SONIC TITAN - Sleep

Son of Nothing - Electric Wizard. hell, the entire "come my fanatics" album is the epitome of the word "HEAVY". I never said lighting fast, evil, satanic or even "metal" at all...just fucking HEAVY.

Every song by Pentagram live times a hundred. Pentagram is easily the HEAVIEST band that I have ever seen and witnessed in all my years of attending concerts and shows. All those songs cranked times a million are some of the heaviest shit that I have ever heard and seen. Easily the heaviest Band that I have ever seen in concert and all those songs on their albums are even thickened times a billion adding an earth shattering heaviness that i JUST can't quite describe. As i said before, these guys are the heaviest shit that I have ever seen in my life and i Hope to see more doom metal bands in the near future, more importantly Pentagram. :rocker:

Escape to the Void by Sepultura. That first two minutes just makes me wanna jump at someone and pound them to the fucking floor and douse there family on fire josh powell status, please don't hate me guys, not that i would ever do that. It is even more epic live in Concert. Thankfully It still gives me that rush that is equivalent to a speed junkie every time i have seen it, and thankfully I have seen the song 3 times in concert.

A Dying God Coming into Human Flesh By Celtic Frost is with out a doubt the most heaviest and most evil music video that i Have ever seen. I was totally and utterly blown away by the atmosphere that the music video brought. This is just my opinion only and a lot of people probably won't agree but oh well. Easily one of the heaviest tunes ever created. Great song, Even greater music video. Oh and Monotheist is just pure heavy fucking black metal in your fucking face. From start to finish

Sorry man, i really couldn't narrow it down to one song. Choosing one song for me is like choosing the best looking women in the world. In other words. TOO MANY, SON

*2 CENTs has been put in the slot machine*

:hmm:

Natrlhi
02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
And the vocals. And the breakdowns. And the headache I get from listening to it.

Exactly.

brutal_descent
02-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Well, I can't cut it down to a song, but I can say that YOB, Year of No Light (though I didn't enjoy them at all) and Meshuggah are the three heaviest bands I've seen live.

jd091
02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned Sunn O))) yet. I'd love to see them live.

Natrlhi
02-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned Sunn O))) yet. I'd love to see them live.I thought about them, but I've not really listened to them much. I'd have thought Manks would have mentioned them.

Meshuggah
Correct.

HandOfDoom
02-10-2012, 09:37 AM
The first song that came to mind is Iron Monkey's Bad Year.

hellawaits77ny
02-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Suffocation - Liege of Inveracity

Fuck yeah. Brutal heaviness

kalfitegrdan
02-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Hate Eternal - I, Monarch

Probably this. Or something by Krisiun. Or possibly Dechristianize by Vital Remains.

MetalIsArt
02-18-2012, 06:12 AM
As long as it it's still listenable (no Anal Cunt sh*t), I now know my "boundaries": Impaled Nazarene & Carcass. I don't need Cock & Ball Torture.

MetalIsArt
02-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Probably this. Or something by Krisiun. Or possibly Dechristianize by Vital Remains.

I monarch is awful. In fact, Hate Eternal as a band is awful.

makethemsuffer12
02-18-2012, 07:03 AM

:eek:

jd091
02-18-2012, 09:31 AM

lol

MetalIsArt
02-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Just an opinion.

The heaviest song I know is probably Coraxo by Impnaz.

Seventhzealot
02-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Beneath The Crown by SubRosa

mankvill
02-18-2012, 02:16 PM

:hecho:

kalfitegrdan
02-18-2012, 02:20 PM

:eek:

OraclesofAgony
02-18-2012, 02:32 PM

This Guy.