PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With My Senior Paper

dcmetal108
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm going to do it on why mainstream society looks down on metal and need some examples.

If this doesn't work out I'll just change topics.

hellawaits77ny
02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Are you looking for "actual" physical examples, or valid stereotypes? I.E., something thinking metalheads are dirtbags when they see someone w/ disgusting greasy hair and reeks of B.O.?

rjturtle9
02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Come to Los Angeles and go to any backyard show. Many answers will be revealed to you.

christopher
02-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Come to Los Angeles and go to any backyard show. Many answers will be revealed to you.

:lol:

mankvill
02-06-2012, 09:52 PM
You could report on that shit that happened in like Indonesia a few months ago about police cracking down on a metal show and forcing all the kids there to cut their hair and shit.

Epidemic Reign
02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
You could report on that shit that happened in like Indonesia a few months ago about police cracking down on a metal show and forcing all the kids there to cut their hair and shit.

If I remember correctly it was a punk show, but still that's a great idea.

jd091
02-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I mean, the obvious example in my opinion would be the whole satanic imagery that normal people tend to associate with metal. Believe it or not, most people aren't a fan of satan... ;)

And the death/gore-centered lyrics never help.

dcmetal108
02-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Any examples help but steriotypes work also.

I mean the main point that came into my mind would be Columbine being blamed on Manson and Slayer and the such.

SomewhereInTime72
02-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Metalheads as a (real) stereotype:
-Dress and act in unusual ways that often are deliberately 'intimidating' to normal folk, or at the very least look (or are) dirty
-Act very exclusive and territorial about their music/lifestyle
-Use dark/scary/satanic imagery on their perma-metal t shirts and things they say
-Most metal that's gotten radio play in the past 20 years has been simple and angry, which bewilders those who aren't fans.
-Just in general appear and/or act very abrasive to people who aren't into the genre.

So it's clearly something that would rub a lot of 'outsiders' the wrong way. As for why they often receive persecution (various levels of it at least, not sure how comfortable I am with using that word for it, but whatever), it's probably the same reason it happens to any other group of people. People are stupid dicks. :)

edit: lots of people find lifestyles they can't understand to be scary in a way. for many nonmetalheads, the metal 'lifestyle' is both impossible to understand and scary in addition to that because of the imagery/negative energy involved.

Natrlhi
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM
People are stupid dicks. :)Pick your favorite response:

Ding ding ding! Tell the man what he's won, Bob!
Yeah, so what's your point?
This is the very reason metal (and thus metalheads) exist in the first place.
What do you mean, you people?
You've been hanging around ravenheart lately, haven't you?

SomewhereInTime72
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
sorry what i meant is (specific group of people) are dicks and that is why we must all hate them

Magson13
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Mainstream society doesn't look down on metal. A small group of people look down on metal. And to write a paper on why that small group of people is 'picking' on your musical tastes, is quite a whiny thing to do.

dcmetal108
02-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Mainstream society doesn't look down on metal. A small group of people look down on metal. And to write a paper on why that small group of people is 'picking' on your musical tastes, is quite a whiny thing to do.

Who would that small group of people be? Please explain.

I decided to write a paper on it because I know there are many valid points about it and the other people here made valid points also.

Mainly everyone I know and even random people I've asked gave me valid reasons on why people constantly look down on it or blame it for random problems.

300%_Density
02-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Also don't forget the big uproar back in the day w/ Ozzy's "Suicide Solution", Priest having to go to court & the whole PMRC thing back in the 80s.

Magson13
02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Who would that small group of people be? Please explain.

I decided to write a paper on it because I know there are many valid points about it and the other people here made valid points also.

Mainly everyone I know and even random people I've asked gave me valid reasons on why people constantly look down on it or blame it for random problems.

Mostly far-right conservatives. The majority of people don't care for the music, but do not "look down" on metal. Just by disliking something, doesn't mean they think it's scum and needs to be erased from the Earth.

Every point I read in this thread is a gross over-generalization with no statistical information to back it up. Try to write a paper like this in college, you'll get a 20. 10 points for the word count, and 10 points for the grammar. Hah

illuminatus917
02-09-2012, 09:18 PM
I'd say the bulk of the population is apathetic/indifferent towards metal in general. Very few actually "look down on it" or put forth the effort to "attack" it.

dcmetal108
02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Mostly far-right conservatives. The majority of people don't care for the music, but do not "look down" on metal. Just by disliking something, doesn't mean they think it's scum and needs to be erased from the Earth.

Every point I read in this thread is a gross over-generalization with no statistical information to back it up. Try to write a paper like this in college, you'll get a 20. 10 points for the word count, and 10 points for the grammar. Hah

What about the examples of the Columbine shooting being blamed on Manson since the kids that Manson shirts on, or West Memphis Three being deemed satanic and such for being metal fans, or just how the general population deems metal as satanic.

I have enough info to write a good paper, and plus I get to write about metal. Why not write about something I like then have to write a huge paper on something I could careless about.

Magson13
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
What about the examples of the Columbine shooting being blamed on Manson since the kids that Manson shirts on, or West Memphis Three being deemed satanic and such for being metal fans, or just how the general population deems metal as satanic.

I have enough info to write a good paper, and plus I get to write about metal. Why not write about something I like then have to write a huge paper on something I could careless about.

Again, that is a gross over-generalization. Just because it was reported on by the news that a small group of people were blaming metal, does not mean the whole population believes it.