Stinkfist
Sober :bouville:
PuShit
Schism
Intension
46&2
Lateralus
Aenima

I'd like to start by saying that this was my first time seeing Tool. They are an amazing live band who, up to this point, I would have given both of my testicles to see. Though, I had a major problem with this show: Sober.

Don't get me wrong, Sober is a great song. One of the first I ever heard by the band. I just was REALLLLLLLLY looking forward to Ticks and Leeches. It would have been one thing if they had just switched the songs, but no. When they played Sober, they stopped in the middle for someone named "Dave" to come out and play some kind of electronic noise over their feedback. It made literally no sense, and not only ruined the song, but kind of ruined the show for me.

It would have been another thing if they had switched out another staple for Sober, being that it is, generally speaking, a staple. If they had been switching between Sober and Schism, that would have made sense; but to switch out a song they never, and I mean FUCKING NEVER, play is just a straight up dick move.

Maybe it's just me, but oh well........

hellawaits77ny
02-01-2012, 11:24 PM
That's ghey. I wish bands knew (or even cared) that setlists mean a lot to hardcore fans.

christopher
02-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Damn, that really sucks you didn't get Parabola since they usually play that with Sober. I would have been so happy to see Sober. Sucks you didn't enjoy the show as much as you would've wanted to. I'm super jelly to all those who get to see this tour. I wish Tool would play an LA show before a new album comes out...

fletchzer
02-01-2012, 11:49 PM
That's ghey. I wish bands knew (or even cared) that setlists mean a lot to hardcore fans.

I think bands do, probably Tool to a fair extent as well. I think if anything, switching up sets between shows is a good thing - when I saw Tool last year in Sydney they played different sets each night.

Playing a shitty rendition is another thing altogether though.

Polock91
02-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Damn, that really sucks you didn't get Parabola since they usually play that with Sober.

that was another thing, too. They were supposed to be done at 11, they walked off stage at 10:45. They just didn't play it.

hiddenzombie013
02-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Damn dude that blows. I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me at the Orlando show. I've never seen them and T&L is my favorite song by them (other than Wings/10k Days). Oddly enough, my buddy's (that I'm going with) favorite song by them is Sober, so one of us is going to be disappointed that night.

hellawaits77ny
02-02-2012, 12:19 AM
I think bands do, probably Tool to a fair extent as well. I think if anything, switching up sets between shows is a good thing - when I saw Tool last year in Sydney they played different sets each night.

Playing a shitty rendition is another thing altogether though.

That's cool they switched it up for ya. Love when bands do that.

And yes, fucking up a song w/ ghey shit like that, that's just bad.

VoidFlame
02-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Yob Blows

You're an idiot.

IrritatedTrout
02-02-2012, 06:54 AM
They played Ticks in Camden which is so close to E. Rutherford that they made the switch I would think. I think they did the same thing in Texas and at the Toronto and London shows. Sucks you didn't get Parabola like those shows though.

ShatteredFlame
02-02-2012, 07:10 AM
wow that blows. I wouldn't have mind missing Ticks for Parabola but if all I got was Sober I would've been pissed. Honestly I don't have a problem with Sober but there are so many other songs in their catalog that are so much better, that it just baffles me how much people want Sober.

HandOfDoom
02-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Was wondering when they'd cut Ticks.

brutal_descent
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
You're an idiot.

I second this.

bt11763
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
I second this.

third'ed

street_burial
02-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I stopped reading after "YOB blows". fucking dumb ass.

IrritatedTrout
02-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Seeing this tour tomorrow and from what I've heard of them I fully expect YOB to suck.

brutal_descent
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Seeing this tour tomorrow and from what I've heard of them I fully expect YOB to suck.

There's a big difference between "they suck" and "they're inaccessible", Trout. As I said when YOB were announced as support for this tour, they shouldn't be playing large venues like these, it's meant for venues with capacities under 200-300 people.

Polock91
02-02-2012, 11:27 AM
so... I'm an idiot because I don't share the same taste in music? fantastic.

larvtard
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM

you're an idiot because you said a band that you personally do not enjoy sucks. music is subjective bro. (aside from emmure, they actually do suck)

NOW I'm done :mad::mad:

fletchzer
02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm a fan of both bands, I think both are great - but I still think Intronaut would have been a better support for the whole tour. YOB are definitely suited to a smaller audience and people that dig their music; Intronaut are a fairly easy band to listen to for the first time and get into.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM

They do. The only thing I can't speak poorly of is their ability to play in strange time signatures. But then again that is much easier to do when there is one riff being repetitively played for 30+ bars (I counted at one point, it was getting amusing.) Mind you the riff was mind blowingly simple.

If you enjoy incessantly cyclic music with weak singing and annoying yelling into the microphone, a terrible mixture of bass/guitar tone where they are indistinguishable in terms of tone, then I suppose they wouldn't suck. Otherwise, don't hold your hopes high.

illuminatus917
02-02-2012, 03:51 PM
They do. The only thing I can't speak poorly of is their ability to play in strange time signatures. But then again that is much easier to do when there is one riff being repetitively played for 30+ bars (I counted at one point, it was getting amusing.) Mind you the riff was mind blowingly simple.

If you enjoy incessantly cyclic music with weak singing and annoying yelling into the microphone, a terrible mixture of bass/guitar tone where they are indistinguishable in terms of tone, then I suppose they wouldn't suck. Otherwise, don't hold your hopes high.

Do you like any doom or sludge or stoner? Or are you down on the genres in general? Just curious.

El Gordo
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM

No, but you're an idiot if you think that your obvious troll wouldn't ruffle some feathers.

slapguitarer
02-02-2012, 05:01 PM
third'ed

fourth'ed

Polock91
02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
you're an idiot because you said a band that you personally do not enjoy sucks. music is subjective bro. (aside from emmure, they actually do suck)

NOW I'm done :mad::mad:

yea, and it is my subjective opinion that Yob blows. Hard.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Do you like any doom or sludge or stoner? Or are you down on the genres in general? Just curious.

I enjoy some Candlemass here and there, although I wouldn't call myself a fan. And besides the occasional early Mastodon, I don't enjoy sludge. Stoner is a definite no for me. I hardly enjoy any artist that comes out that is really obscure and has that "muddy" feel to it. It doesn't do anything for me except wish for better production and songwriting. Obviously this is just tastes talking though.

illuminatus917
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I enjoy some Candlemass here and there, although I wouldn't call myself a fan. And besides the occasional early Mastodon, I don't enjoy sludge. Stoner is a definite no for me. I hardly enjoy any artist that comes out that is really obscure and has that "muddy" feel to it. It doesn't do anything for me except wish for better production and songwriting. Obviously this is just tastes talking though.

Understandable. Though, judging by your second to last post, I feel you're judging this type of music by genres that are completely different, which isn't entirely fair. In doing so you're missing the reasons people like this type of music. The tone might sound nasty, but it's supposed to sound that way. Playing the same riff for four minutes straight isn't supposed to be technical. And sometimes it's the simplicity of the music that leaves an impression on the listener. Just listen to the last five minutes of "The Catechism of Depression" off Mournful Congregation's new album. That shit just burns its way into your mind. Playing in an odd time signature is useless to me if the music doesn't impact me in some emotional way.

Now don't get me wrong, YOB isn't one of my favorite bands out there. There are maaaany bands in their genre doing better things than they are. But I think it's important, at least before criticizing them, to understand their appeal to people who do like them (coincidentally, I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of deathcore to people out there *JDcoughcough* ;)).

I'm really not interested in seeing them live, especially in an environment like the one on this tour. I'll give an opinion though after seeing them at Maryland Deathfest. :D

hb420
02-02-2012, 10:50 PM
fourth'ed

Fifth'ed

While I understand YOB not clicking with someone there is absolutely no reason to bash them so aggressively. Pretty much what brutal said was true, they really do not fit well with venues that size, really intimate venues are where you would benefit the most from seeing them. Even if you disliked them that much, they are not talentless as some of you put it, Mike's guitar playing is absolutely stellar. It's not how technical or complex the riffing is but how well and what he does with what he gives us. He takes one riff and stretches it to the max without growing tiresome in anyway IMO of coarse.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Understandable. Though, judging by your second to last post, I feel you're judging this type of music by genres that are completely different, which isn't entirely fair. In doing so you're missing the reasons people like this type of music. The tone might sound nasty, but it's supposed to sound that way. Playing the same riff for four minutes straight isn't supposed to be technical. And sometimes it's the simplicity of the music that leaves an impression on the listener. Just listen to the last five minutes of "The Catechism of Depression" off Mournful Congregation's new album. That shit just burns its way into your mind. Playing in an odd time signature is useless to me if the music doesn't impact me in some emotional way.

Now don't get me wrong, YOB isn't one of my favorite bands out there. There are maaaany bands in their genre doing better things than they are. But I think it's important, at least before criticizing them, to understand their appeal to people who do like them (coincidentally, I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of deathcore to people out there *JDcoughcough* ;)).

I'm really not interested in seeing them live, especially in an environment like the one on this tour. I'll give an opinion though after seeing them at Maryland Deathfest. :D

Well I was never asking for technicality, as quite a few bands I listen to don't have extraordinarily complicated riffage or such. It's just the extremity of how simple it is, as I would say the same if it were over-the-top and all over the place (a strong reason why I dislike tech death a lot.) But you said it right, it's what stays with the listener, so if that simplicity works, then so be it. I certainly understand their appeal to those who enjoy them, but I find little ground to "sympathize" due to different genre tastes.

More than anything, I am pleasantly surprised at your sophisticated response, unlike most of the content that the ignoramus' post here. At the very least, thanks for contributing something that wasn't "u mad bro" or things of that nature.

Sepultura69
02-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Fifth'ed

24th'ed

smearCampaign
02-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Any band Tool brings on the road with them is subject to systematic hate regardless of the quality of the band, that's just how it goes. Those people came to see Tool and most are unaware of who the opening bands even are.

The Melvins, Meshuggah, Big Business, Wovenhand, Isis.... all hand picked as openers by Tool and all hated on by a significant portion of the crowd.

I've only seen YOB in tiny venues and I can't imagine an arena doing them any favors.

fletchzer
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Any band Tool brings on the road with them is subject to systematic hate regardless of the quality of the band, that's just how it goes. Those people came to see Tool and most are unaware of who the opening bands even are.

The Melvins, Meshuggah, Big Business, Wovenhand, Isis.... all hand picked as openers by Tool and all hated on by a significant portion of the crowd.

I've only seen YOB in tiny venues and I can't imagine an arena doing them any favors.

Spot on.

Polock91
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Fifth'ed

While I understand YOB not clicking with someone there is absolutely no reason to bash them so aggressively.

there's literally nothing aggressive about saying a band blows. that's all I said. Unless maybe you're talking about the other people here, which, even then, it isn't "aggressive."

I don't like Yob for the same reason I don't much care for most of the bands in the stoner genre. I can't listen to the same riff 7,593 times in a row. To me, "stretching a riff out" does not a song make. I also can't stand bands where guitars and bass are completely indistinguishable (i.e., High on Fire, Sleep, Stoned Jesus, Spacegoat, Drunken Joint, Electric Wizard (OH NOEZ, SOMEONE SAID THEY DON'T LIKE THE WIZARRRRDDDD, KILL IT WITH FIRE)).

I'm not shit talking people for liking them, but I can, and will shit talk the band because I don't like them. Everyone on this board is guilty of doing that for at least one band; just because I happen to say so about a band you like doesn't make me an "idiot."

Sepultura69
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I also can't stand bands where guitars and bass are completely indistinguishable (i.e., High on Fire, Sleep, Stoned Jesus, Spacegoat, Drunken Joint, Electric Wizard (OH NOEZ, SOMEONE SAID THEY DON'T LIKE THE WIZARRRRDDDD, KILL IT WITH FIRE)).

you're cool.

Polock91
02-04-2012, 12:44 AM
you're cool.

Thank you.

brutal_descent
02-04-2012, 01:02 AM
I also can't stand bands where guitars and bass are completely indistinguishable (i.e., High on Fire, Sleep, Stoned Jesus, Spacegoat, Drunken Joint, Electric Wizard (OH NOEZ, SOMEONE SAID THEY DON'T LIKE THE WIZARRRRDDDD, KILL IT WITH FIRE)).

I can definitely tell apart the bass and guitar in HOF (listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4pvC8eaNlQ)), Sleep, and Stoned Jesus, dude, as well as EW, but in EW's case I can definitely see how somebody couldn't, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here on them. Kudos for knowing who Stoned Jesus are, though!

Even though you probably won't check these out, I'm always glad to try to show someone music they might not like initially, so listen to these songs as well:

Monster Magnet - Space Lord (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscfeQOMuGw&ob=av3e)
Corrosion of Conformity - Senor Limpio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6PlNje33wg)
Orchid - Capricorn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfqYH_P-ayI)
Red Fang - Prehistoric Dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA)
Church of Misery - The Gray Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52tn2V7sYbA)
Down - Lifer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDWAMUcNDc)

Polock91
02-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Even though you probably won't check these out, I'm always glad to try to show someone music they might not like initially, so listen to these songs as well:

Monster Magnet - Space Lord (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscfeQOMuGw&ob=av3e)
Corrosion of Conformity - Senor Limpio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6PlNje33wg)
Orchid - Capricorn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfqYH_P-ayI)
Red Fang - Prehistoric Dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA)
Church of Misery - The Gray Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52tn2V7sYbA)
Down - Lifer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDWAMUcNDc)

I have nothing against Down (mainly because I love Pantera), and because I'm ok with Down, I'm ok with Pepper Keenan era COC. Red Fang, I've heard a couple times, again, nothing against them, Monster Magnet, I'm not a fan of, Church of Misery and Orchid honestly just sound the same to me.