PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love your favorite band?

powerslave_85
01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Pretty self-explanatory. I feel like this board is mostly name-calling and yelling these days, so I wanted to spark some real discussion about something more positive. How did you fall in love with your favorite band, and why?

Dextrimental
01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
When it comes to music, I look for something that really speaks to me lyrically, but also gives me something musical to really latch onto, a hook. PanterA, when I first encountered them, apart from Walk, were exactly that. I was 15, just finished one of the biggest transitional periods of my life, was failing at school, and was hopeless when it came to girls. I was lost, and badly needed guidance, and that's exactly what they were. First album I owned by them was Vulgar Display Of Power, and I remember listening to it and thinking, this is the kind of music I have been looking for. The lyrics had a personal feel to them without being soppy and angst-ridden, the music was the right balance between technical and catchy, and the production had that perfect level between it sounding like the band jamming and having fun, and enough cleanliness that every note was perfectly audible. It's still my favorite album by them, I now have the tattoo, and I'm currently in the midst of what will probably turn out to be the second biggest transitional period of my life, and their music really does help me work through stuff. Every time I listen to that album, without fail, I come out of it more positive and ready to take on the world, which, to me at least, is exactly what anyone's favorite band should do for them.

mastodon421
01-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Mastodon became my favorite band intially because I had never heard better riffs in my life (I still haven't). I love a good riff and early Mastodon had them in droves. I will never forget the first time I heard "Iron Tusk". I have never been so impressed with a song in my life. Mastodon has continued to be my favorite band because they continually change their sound and remain consistently amazing. I can not think of any other band that has ever done that.

ravenheart
01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Because they're better than your favourite band.

;)

powerslave_85
01-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Way to contribute.

scream4icecream
01-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Black Dahlia Murder? Because I think they're the exception to the rule of bands putting out albums that decrease in quality each time, every album is something different. It also helps to see guys that are so in love with what they do and that appreciate their fan base so much, makes it a lot easier for me to justify actually buying albums instead of illegally downloading. Plus, i've seen them live 8 times and they get better and better.

ravenheart
01-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Way to contribute.

Way to miss the ;)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Don't really have a great answer for you other than my favorite bands just strike a chord with me that others don't.

My favorite metal bands don't really have all that much in common with each other, other than they play metal.

My favorite metal bands:

SLAYER
Iron Maiden
Fates Warning
Dio/Sabbath/Rainbow
Old Celtic Frost
The Crown
Pagan's Mind
Opeth
Voivod

JRA
01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
a fantastic question.

One problem, I don't quite have a favorite band.

Oh I have plenty of runner ups trying to squeeze in through the proverbial closingelevator door, but neither one can really budge through.

I can however, give you my criteria, which I think is what this thread is looking for.

They need to have a extraordinary characteristic of some kind, like Judas Priest always being able to come back hard after being knocked down, or Iron Maiden's seven album winning streak, or Lemmy's unflinching dedication to an idea, or Rakim's unchallenged ability to construct rhyme, or Dave Mustaine's unchallenged ability to shred. Or Jimi Hendrix, [David Lee Roth era) Van Halen or AC/DC's ability to reach mass audiences while pissing off nobody (and that includes the people who hate bands because of their massive popularity, like the Beatles or the Stones).

They also have to be able to not taint their legacy too hard, I'll gladly come out swinging at criticisms that have no basis in fact, but there are certainly crimes committed that no matter which way you look at them, negatively effects the proverbial package.

Example: you just can't divorce the fact that Ozzy's solo career his more than a passing resemblence to a Britney Spears, in that he's largely a personality-over-artist unit moving package that doesn't even write his own music (vocal melodies withstanding) and his voice isn't even that great in the traditional sense. There's nothing necessarily crucifying about that, but then The Osbournes happened.

mankvill
01-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Anaal Nathrakh

They were a blast of just pure hatred and chaos in a time of my life when I needed it most, and my love for them just grew from there. Pandemonic Hyperblast was one of the most evil and chaotic things I've ever heard, and it probably still is. From there, it was just exciting because every new song I heard from them was just as brutal, but each one sounded extremely unique to me. I love them today because I don't think any band out there can match them at all. Love <3

JRA
01-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Incidentally, I read a book in Borders called "The Rock Bible" and one of it's "commandements" if you will, is "If you only have one favorite band, you aren't in a fanbase, you are in a cult."

But they also said "Don't ever make conversation with the drummer." :finger2:

BloodoftheKings
01-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Here are some of my favorite things.

-Metal
-Punk
-Over the top b-horror
-Fucked up humor

As far as I know Gwar is the only group that has all of these things.

adamclark52
01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
My favorite band changed a lot in my younger days; Nirvana from 1991-1994, Nine Inch Nails from 1994-1995, Type O Negative from 1995-1997, anything Mike Patton from 1998 until 2005. But for probably the last ten years I've considered my favorite band to be:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

I got into them around late 2000. First song I heard was Sunshine + Gasoline (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwvqFUR_yk), not even an album track, sort of a demo/earlier version of another song called Moya (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsf2LoLk3SA). I've always been into emotional/depressive/trance-inducing music and no band does that better to me than GYBE. No band just gives me that feeling of awe and hopelessness and commands that I pay attention. I just have to stop and listen. I could just stare at a wall and listen to their music.

I also love their anonimity (sp?). I know there's a guy named Efrim who plays guitar, I know there was a Theirry and a Moya in the band at one point and I know they're from Montreal. That's about it. I've never seen a really clear picture or read too much of an interview. They've been able to keep up that image that so many black metal bands thrive for.

I listened to them a lot in the early 2000's and even still during their hiatus from 2002 until now. I never forgot them.

I wish that I could see them live someday because I've heard that they're an incredible live band but there are too many hipster-duffuses and scenesters in Toronto so I don't think I'd enjoy myself at one of their shows. I'll continue to listen to them in my own space.

Hopefully they'll release something new some day, but until then I'll enjoy the side-band Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra (who I am going to see live later this month despite all the hipsters, but since I don't have quite the attachment to them I don't think they'll bother me too much).

It's interesting how I first got into them; I was searching Napster for 'Emperor' back in 2000 and they popped up, as did another band called 'Emperor Pengin'. I remembered reading about them in some 'zine a year earlier and decided to check out the aformentioned Sunshine + Gasoline. It was about 2am and I was half asleep. I think I listened to that song ten times in a row and was hooked. The next day I downloaded everything I could find and made some mixed CD-R's, which I listened too until they fried. Three years later, when I actually had money, I was able to purchase all their albums legit. I should have downloaded some Emperor Pengin, maybe they would be my second favorite band?

Maiden33
01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
I managed to avoid the site for about a week, and no, I'm not coming back... I said I planned to kinda just lurk for a while and maybe post once in a while, but I actually was taken aback by this topic. One of the reasons I've lost interest over the past year or two is because of the lack of discussion like this. Maybe this thread will turn into name-calling and bitch-fighting as well, but for now, I liked it enough to warrant a reply.

I honestly have been going through a bit of an identity crisis over the past year or so because I'm not 100% sure who my favorite band is anymore. If I had to give an answer, I'd probably still say Iron Maiden, but it's not how it used to be. These days I would say it's a pretty fair toss-up between Iron Maiden, Savatage, Evergrey, Dream Theater, and a few others. I feel the band I can make the best argument for is honestly Evergrey:

Evergrey were one of the first more underground bands I discovered, back when I was 14. I was thumbing through the metal CDs at my local FYE, when I came across a copy of Solitude Dominance Tragedy. I believe there was a sticker on it with a description that caught my eye, either that or the artwork... This was back in the day before I downloaded anything or previewing full songs online, so I actually scanned it in the listening station in FYE and listened through the 30-second previews, and I was absolutely blown away. It really sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. I quickly bought the disc, as well as the A Night to Remember double-live CD which had just been released. I spun them non-stop for a while before venturing more into their catalog. I had never heard a band combine such a heavy edge maintain such a melodic vibe, especially in the really melodic vocals. That's still a huge part of why I love the band. I think they combine a really outstanding use of heavy, down-tuned guitars and technical guitar playing with a really strong sense of melody and songwriting. The early albums have a bit of a dark, gothic vibe, and all of their stuff just has a very emotional, personal touch to it that I just can't get out of any other band. Their songs have meant so many things to me over the years and helped me through so much. Moreover, Tom S. Englund is one of my biggest musical heroes, as he truly does it all and is the leader of the band. I finally had the pleasure of seeing the band twice in 2011 and getting to not only meet but hang out with the band and Tom and can now say they are truly great guys, and friends too.

They're also the first (and so far, only) band I've cared about deeply enough to have tattooed on me:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224403_2286972410857_1145330772_2853761_2329360_n. jpg

mastodon421
01-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Forgot to mention this in my first post. Kudos powerslave for making this thread:rocker:. I'm glad that someone made a interesting thread where people aren't yelling at each other and calling each other faggots every two seconds. Well done man.

PowerMaiden
01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
listening to Iron Maiden, or even better, being at one of their concerts, is in the top 3 things in life where I am the closest to pure happiness

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
and in all honesty I think it's chemical or something. They just fucking make me feel good all the time right from the get go when I first discovered them in 1983...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

powerslave_85
01-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Loving the replies so far. Keep 'em coming :) :metal:

I guess I should chip in. I wouldn't say they're my current favorite band, or that they ever will be again, but Maiden held that position longer than anyone else. As a 14 year-old, my metal background was pretty much just Metallica, Black Sabbath and Megadeth, so hearing Maiden for the first time was a rather profound change. Instead of chunky power chords, there were intricate, intertwining guitar leads. Instead of gruff shouting, the vocals were soaring and operatic. I've been a history nerd since I was a kid, so the fact that "Aces High" was the first song I heard was fortunate. I was thrilled to listen to this song about fighter planes and WWII. That, and the fact that all the songs were so insanely catchy. Every melody threatened to stick in your head for days. All those feelings did nothing but grow as I dove deeper into their catalog, and I was obsessed almost instantly (hearing Brave New World was what sent me over the edge). The sheer quantity of great music they put out is staggering, and it always brought new surprises. That, and the fact that they still put on the best live show around. Even if I don't listen to them as much as I did as a teenager, I still feel giddy every time a new album comes out or I see them live, and I don't think that will ever go away.

That brings me to my current favorite band, who've held that title for the last six years or so: Sleater-Kinney. Throughout my life, I never listened to a lot of women artists. It was limited to stuff my mom listened to, like Sheryl Crow and Bonnie Raitt, or the occasional pop-punk band. This band was a game-changer. They were angry, very loud, and simply did not give a fuck. Corin Tucker's voice is the biggest part of that: hearing her for the first time was like getting a hot needle jammed into my spine. In a good way. It's the kind of voice that says "sit down, shut up, and LISTEN." There truly isn't any other band that sounds like them. The guitars alternately careen off each other and weave together seamlessly, and Janet Weiss's thundering drums give each song authority and power. Their lyrics are brilliant and varied; they cover everything from love to desire to questioning the world around you. Strangely, I rarely feel an intense personal connection to their lyrics, but the songs feel so powerful and important that it reaches me on a different emotional level. Their indefinite hiatus in 2006, when I had been listening to them for barely a year, was devastating, especially since I hadn't seen them live. But all the side projects have whet my appetite, and it now seems that a reunion is right around the corner, which just makes it more exciting.

Dextrimental
01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm actually going to do one for Slayer as well, as they're dangerously close to PanterA for my favorite band. When I first heard Slayer, through Reign In Blood no less, I liked it, but it didn't click with me at the time, simply because I was still listening to a lot of modern stuff like Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park, so the production and overall package felt dated to me. I was 15, what ya gonna do? That, however, all changed when I heard God Hates Us All. It had the same level of ferocity and anger, but with the modern production and aesthetic of the current stuff I was still very into. I was floored. I still remembering listening to that record the first time in my room, it was like hearing Vulgar Display Of Power for the first time all over again. It was like a god dam jackhammer. THEN I seen them live at the Unholy Alliance, and seen what their music does to people. No band does what Slayer do, as good as they do it, the way they do it.

PowerMaiden
01-14-2012, 07:23 PM
God Hates Us All is a heck of an album

:rocker:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Epidemic Reign
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Electric Six is my all-time favorite band. They've only been around for about a decade, but they've been putting a quality album out every year since 2003, so they've already got a seasoned catalogue under their belts.

All of their songs are super catchy and fun and they play with a very diverse collection of styles. The heart of the band is rock 'n' roll, but they also incorporate disco, funk, dance/electronic and other styles into their music.

The #1 reason they're my favorite band, however, is vocalist and primary songwriter Dick Valentine. He is, in my eyes, the epitome of a mad genius. His lyrics are brilliantly absurd, twisted, and never meant to be taken too seriously, but he delivers them like a suave, calculated fucking badass. He's like a psychotic rock jedi :rocker:

BloodoftheKings
01-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Electric Six is my all-time favorite band. They've only been around for about a decade, but they've been putting a quality album out every year since 2003, so they've already got a seasoned catalogue under their belts.

All of their songs are super catchy and fun and they play with a very diverse collection of styles. The heart of the band is rock 'n' roll, but they also incorporate disco, funk, dance/electronic and other styles into their music.

The #1 reason they're my favorite band, however, is vocalist and primary songwriter Dick Valentine. He is, in my eyes, the epitome of a mad genius. His lyrics are brilliantly absurd, twisted, and never meant to be taken too seriously, but he delivers them like a suave, calculated fucking badass. He's like a psychotic rock jedi :rocker:

I should try to get into this band. I respect others who aren't afraid to admit so called "joke bands" are their favorite band.

PowerMaiden
01-14-2012, 07:55 PM

sounds like a cool band !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Dextrimental
01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
God Hates Us All is a heck of an album

:rocker:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Darkness of Christ going into Disciple is probably my favorite concert opener apart from The Wicker Man :horns:

Electric Six could be one of the most underrated bands ever, always touring and playing music, yet totally off the radar for the majority of people!

Epidemic Reign
01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
I should try to get into this band. I respect others who aren't afraid to admit so called "joke bands" are their favorite band.

Haha thanks man. I've always found it kind of odd to call them my favorite band because all of my other favorites are metal bands and this dance/rock band sticks out like a sore thumb :lol:

But definitely, I would recommend them to you and absolutely anyone with a sense of humor! Their first album "Fire" is a good place to start and might even have a song or two you've heard before.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, since you're obviously a big fan of over-the-top horror films you might find this interesting... Their song "Gay Bar" was used for one of the special features on the Cabin Fever DVD (the "Pancakes (http://youtu.be/OPX0XTPqpOA)" kid). It was one of the first times I ever heard them and played a huge part in convincing me to check them out.

Epidemic Reign
01-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Electric Six could be one of the most underrated bands ever, always touring and playing music, yet totally off the radar for the majority of people!

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure they would have a much bigger following if more people were exposed to their music, but fortunately the fans they do have are dedicated enough to keep them going. Clearly the band loves what they do!

BloodoftheKings
01-14-2012, 08:57 PM
But definitely, I would recommend them to you and absolutely anyone with a sense of humor! Their first album "Fire" is a good place to start and might even have a song or two you've heard before.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, since you're obviously a big fan of over-the-top horror films you might find this interesting... Their song "Gay Bar" was used for one of the special features on the Cabin Fever DVD (the "Pancakes (http://youtu.be/OPX0XTPqpOA)" kid). It was one of the first times I ever heard them and played a huge part in convincing me to check them out.

Just listened to Fire before. Good shit. I've never seen the whole movie but I must have watched that Pancakes scene about 20 times. :lol:

mankvill
01-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Darkness of Christ going into Disciple

I don't like too much of that album, but it really is the perfect Slayer set-opener. Crushing!

masterguy49
01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
I have two favorite bands, but I'll do the other later.
Deftones:
I remember in early 2010, I would watch the RockItOutBlog! constantly on youtube and he was discussing Deftones' new single Rocket Skates. I decided to check it out and my first reaction was "What the fuck is this shit". The song was just so goddamn awkward to me, I didn't get it. I mean I liked the heaviness and all, but it was all weird. After that I forgot about them for a while. Then the title track for their album Diamond Eyes came out. I decided to give the song a chance and holy shit. The song was heavy, beautiful, and catchy. It was just so perfect to me. I downloaded the song on itunes and probably listened to it over about a thousand times. I fell so in love with that song, I re-listened to Rocket Skates and for some reason it clicked with me, I then loved that song as well. Then the album came out. I'm not joking when I said since it came out, I've listened to that album hundred of hundred of times. It is my favorite album of 2010 and one of my personal favorite albums. Every song is just perfect to me, catchy, heavy when it wants to be, beautiful, and Chino's voice is perfection to my ears. I then got all the rest of they albums. That summer I went to Paris so I spent a lot of time listening to them. I fell in love with all their albums over time(Though Saturday Night Wrist took a while to click), but then one day at my hotel I saw a listing for a Deftones show near me. I freaked out and ended getting the VIP for the show. I was incredibly excited. Over the summer I listened to each album, all amazing in my ears. Adrenaline had the aggression, anger, and full out rage that I needed, Around the Fur had the heavy, aggression but in a more calm, melodic way(if that makes sense). Too be honest, I may find Around the Fur the hardest to classify, but no less I fell in love with it. White Pony is just full on awesome and beautiful, no words needed. Their self-titled was melodic mixed with some of their heaviest work, while some songs are a little, I still love the album. Saturday Night Wrist was definitely their most interesting release and while it gets some hate, it definitely is still a good, melodic album. Plus Chino's voice sounds awesome throughout. Diamond Eyes was everything awesome about their other albums, combined to create the ultimate Deftones album.
Even then, they still didn't reach the level they had in my life until the concert in September of 2010. I arrived around 5 and since I had VIP they took me and other to the VIP area. We were given a poster and a tour laminate. I was so nervous, once the band came in I was in total star struck the whole time(This was my first time really meeting any band). I just was in shock but the whole band was so nice and could probably tell how nervous I was being(It's apparent in all my pictures too). After that we were granted early admission into the venue. I managed to get a rail in front of where soon Stephen would be. Baroness came on and they were fucking awesome. After I talked to people around me about the show. They were shocked to see a 14 year old love Deftones so much and come to their show on a school day. They all loved me and we talked for about an hour until Deftones came on. Then the lights shut off, Stephen came out RIGHT in front of me and took a picture of us in front of him. Then Chino ran up and they blasted into Diamond Eyes.
Oh my fucking god.
That show was perfect, I just can't even put it into words without writing pages and pages. They played all their well known songs and pulled out some awesome, underrated, less popular songs such as Dai The Flu, Nosebleed, and Lotion. All which were epic live. It literally changed everything for me and stapled them into my favorite bands. I can listen to them whenever and they will still bring back all kinds of emotions for me. The second time live was just as perfect and they played a whole bunch of songs they didnt play before, making it just as unique. They are my favorite band on record and live. It was phenomenal. Chino just makes it for me, his voice is just everything I love and I also love both his side bands Crosses and Team Sleep.
So yeah, I feel like I've said everything. I love Deftones.

Dextrimental
01-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Couldn't agree more. I'm sure they would have a much bigger following if more people were exposed to their music, but fortunately the fans they do have are dedicated enough to keep them going. Clearly the band loves what they do!

It can't have been easy for them, but from the looks of things they must be doing at least ok to keep up the schedule they have. I mean they play here every year or so, usually in one of the university venues here, so they must be on SOMEONES party soundtrack to warrant returning so much!

Crionics
01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
I don't like too much of that album, but it really is the perfect Slayer set-opener. Crushing!

Exactly how I feel! I feel bad that I never got to hear that live.

I guess I will do one of these for Slayer and AC/DC later.

El Gordo
01-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Even though I'd probably choose the first six Sabbath albums or the first four Metallica albums if I had to choose one band to listen to for the rest of my life, Overkill is undeniably my favourite band. Why? Well, back in the late 90's when I was growing out of my Metallica fanboyism because I realized it wasn't 1986 and the band were doing the equivalent of masturbating and recording it, I started looking for bands like Metallica that were still making worthwhile music. One day, in an issue of Guitar World, I read of some thrash bands I wasn't familiar with, namely Overkill, and I made some mental notes. Of course this was 1998 and not 2008 so there wasn't much of an internet to be able to sample bands with, so I frequented the local used record stores quite often. Not much later I found Overkill's Wrecking Your Neck and decided it was a must-buy. Even though I thought the singer was a little weird, the neck-snapping riffs and fantastic guitar solos immediately started to fill that void left by my realization that Metallica were no longer the band I wanted them to be. These days, Overkill is a band that I can come back to time after time, and they really only have two albums I'm not fond of. To me they embody the true spirit of heavy metal: unchanging, unrelenting, never say die attitude. The fact that my favourite band is one that refuses to change or evolve probably says a bit about me, but I don't care. Overkill kicks ass.

JRA
01-15-2012, 09:22 AM
I actually think Overkill has evolved over the years. They became more groove oriented after Horrorscope in the 90's before morphing back to their traditional sound with a thicker bottom end with Killbox 13.

HandOfDoom
01-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Black Sabbath, because of two words; Tony Iommi :blaze:

El Gordo
01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
I actually think Overkill has evolved over the years. They became more groove oriented after Horrorscope in the 90's before morphing back to their traditional sound with a thicker bottom end with Killbox 13.

Well yeah they've made some slight changes in sound over the years, but it all really comes back to the same thing. Honestly without much tweaking, almost any song on Ironbound wouldn't sound too out of place on Feel the Fire.

Seventhzealot
02-27-2012, 11:26 AM
My favorite band is Agalloch and I've been asked multiple times why but I never really could put it into words concisely.

I suppose in a broader sense it was because their music got me through a lot of the darker times in my life. Apart from that they draw a lot of inspirations from several of my favorite films(The Seventh Seal, Werckmeister Harmonies etc) The pantheistic theme of their work is also something that appeals to me a great deal.

I guess to sum it all up, its just this inexplicable connection I've felt with their music right from the time I started listening to them and they've been my favorite band since.