PDA

View Full Version : Ghoul -- Berkeley, CA -- January 8th, 2012

Wizzbang11
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Tankcrimes show at Gilman. Im still fucking destroyed and half alive so I will be brief, but it was incredible. First two bands were really forgettable, Fucktard were amazing and were part of the 'storyline' of the show (which was from what I could piece together that the now corporate Ghoul-man Sachs was taking over Gilman and John the Baker + the Gilman punks were trying to reclaim the venue for the crusties and get corporate metal out of there) so between songs John trashed Ghoul and had some sort of protest sign as well as talking about ANS bailouts etc. Kicker annoy the shit out of me despite having Mauz from Dystopia as their guitarist, and their set was exactly what I expected it to be, meh. ANS are goddamn amazing and it's a shame much of the crowd just stood there, I was expecting the place to go completely insane but there couldn't have been more than 15 people overall in the pit. I don't know the ANS full length but they closed with the last song off the Ramming Speed split.
This was definitely the best Ghoul show I've seen, and without a doubt the wildest. The whole crowd went crazy for every second of it which caused a few technical difficulties, but punk shows are absolutely the best way to see Ghoul. They decapitated a fake chicken during Voodoo, had some sort of blood spraying skull device, Killbot was redone as a UC Davis cop with a huge pepper-spray arm (which sadly I don't think worked because I didn't see anything spraying out of it) and then they had whatever the new beastly-looking character is fight Killbot. Dissector wore a fancy fur coat for half the set and the rest of Ghoul spent the between song sections mocking occupy, crusties etc. The setlist looks really disappointing on paper, but live all the new material transferred excellently and despite the lack of old songs was their most solid set I've witnessed.

Off With Their Heads
Splatterthrash
Mark of Voodoo
Brain Jerk
Bury the Hatchet
Bloodfeast
Transmission Zero
Rise Killbot Rise!
Destructor
As Your Casket Closes
Graveyard Mosh
Ghoul
Gutbucket Blues
---
Numbskull

GarageMetal468
01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah only one song each from the first 2 albums is disappointing... but you're right, even if it's mostly the new album and Splatterthrash material, they're still awesome live anyway. But a majority of old material played live would make the show even more sick! Hopefully they stick to a lot of the old stuff at MDF.

mankvill
01-09-2012, 12:17 PM
:party:

2nd best show I saw last year!

VoidFlame
01-09-2012, 12:53 PM
:D Can't wait for MDF!

elturtleboy
01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
My ANS show got raided on Friday :(

brutal_descent
01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Hopefully they don't close Gilman's soon, I fucking love that place. :(

Wizzbang11
01-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Hopefully they don't close Gilman's soon, I fucking love that place. :(

There's been talk of it shutting down for the last 20 years, I doubt it's going anywhere. The current dude booking shows apparently doesn't give a fuck about the traditional Gilman rules, hence the Murder Junkies last may and the upcoming Mentors show (although that might have been canceled) so I guess there might be less of a communal spirit about the place, but it's still as cool as it ever was, and some doom show last week had 347 people in attendance, so people still care to come out and see shows there.