PDA

View Full Version : Official MetalSetLists.Com Best Of 2011 Albums!

mankvill
01-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Alrighty. Here are the results. 231 separate albums. A great year for metal, and I think a MetalSetLists.com first, a tie in the top 10! So technically there are 11 albums up here this year!

So let the bitching commence.

====

====

====

====

====

====

====

Vektor - Outer Isolation

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/88/vektorouterisolation.jpg

15 Votes
107 Raw Points
30 Multiplier Points
137 Total Points

====

Mastodon - The Hunter

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6671/mastodonthehunter.jpg

17 Votes
98 Raw Points
34 Multiplier Points
132 Total Points

====

Revocation - Chaos of Forms

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8604/revocationchaosofformse.jpg

13 Votes
99 Raw Points
26 Multiplier Points
125 Total Points

====

Anthrax - Worship Music

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9145/anthraxworshipmusic.jpg

13 Votes
81 Raw Points
26 Multiplier Points
107 Total Points

====

The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/889/ritualr.jpg

10 Votes
70 Raw Points
20 Multiplier Points
90 Total Points

====

The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5536/coverwow.jpg

9 Votes
71 Raw Points
18 Multiplier Points
89 Total Points

====

7A.

Cormorant - Dwellings

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/488/cormorantdwellings.jpg

10 Votes
65 Raw Points
20 Multiplier Points
85 Total Points

====

7B.

Iced Earth - Dystopia

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4445/iceddystopia.jpg

11 Votes
63 Raw Points
22 Multiplier Points
85 Total Points

====

SubRosa - No Help For The Mighty Ones

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4416/3203dde669bede8a807627f.jpg

11 Votes
60 Raw Points
22 Multiplier Points
82 Total Points

====

YOB - Atma

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6613/yobatmaalbumcover.jpg

9 Votes
59 Raw Points
18 Multiplier Points
77 Total Points

====

Machine Head - Unto The Locust

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6994/65648363.jpg

12 Votes
52 Raw Points
24 Multiplier Points
76 Total Points

====

ChildrenofSodom
01-07-2012, 10:47 PM
FUCK THIS. I'M OUT.

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2012, 10:47 PM
キタ━━━(゜∀゜)━━━!!!!!

i actually don't like this at all though

mankvill
01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
11. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
12. Symphony X - Iconoclast
13. Vader - Welcome To The Morbid Reich
14. Touche Amore - Parting The Sea Between Brightness And Me
15. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
16. Cannabis Corpse - Beneath Grow Lights Thou Shalt Rise
17. Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
18. Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
19. Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
20. Origin - Entity

BloodoftheKings
01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Better then last years. Anthrax really shouldn't be that high up.

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
A few thoughts:

Why is Anthrax even on this?
Why is Mastodon above Revocation and SubRosa?
Fuck yeah, Vektor! :fist:
Dystopia > Dwellings
Really fucking happy that YOB made it into the top 10. :)

EDIT:

MANKVILL WHERE THE FUCK IS ANAAL NATHRAKH

:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

mankvill
01-07-2012, 10:51 PM
A few thoughts:

Why is Anthrax even on this?
Why is Mastodon above Revocation and SubRosa?
Fuck yeah, Vektor! :fist:
Dystopia > Dwellings
Really fucking happy that YOB made it into the top 10. :)

EDIT:

MANKVILL WHERE THE FUCK IS ANAAL NATHRAKH

:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM

I SAW :mad:

ChildrenofSodom
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Vektor, Revocation, and YOB perfectly describe the trend in M-S users this past year....well, it's been a fun 6 years anyway.

jd091
01-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Who the fuck voted for Anthrax, and how the fuck is it above Anaal Nathrakh?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/50smh.gif

illuminatus917
01-07-2012, 10:55 PM
People had better tastes last year.

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Only 1 album I voted for in the entire top 20, and only 3 albums I even like at all in the top 10. :( :snivel: :boohoo:

jd091
01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Also really disappointed in Vektor being #1. Meh. Really sick of thrash. Would have liked to see Anaal/Cormorant/Wolves in the Throne Room come out and take the crown for awesome, unique metal releases this year.

/flameshield

slapguitarer
01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Dystopia > Dwellings

You're gay.

I'm surprised Mastodon didn't take first, but Outer Isolation is way better so I'm okay with this.

If Cormorant isn't number 1, they're too low.

I'm surprised Symphony X wasn't top 10.

Overall, good list. 5 of my Top 10 in this. Not as good as last year, but I listened to a lot more music, so that was to be expected.

GarageMetal468
01-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Only 1 album I voted for in the entire top 20, and only 3 albums I even like at all in the top 10. :( :snivel: :boohoo:

Pretty much this, except 3 I voted in the top 20.

And again, why no Exhumed?! :flame:

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Who the fuck voted for Anthrax, and how the fuck is it above Anaal Nathrakh?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/50smh.gif

this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this

mankvill
01-07-2012, 10:59 PM
And again, why no Exhumed?! :flame:

66th, only 2 votes. :(

Tied with STEEL PANTHER LOL

Rocco44
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM
People had better tastes last year.

I'll take the credit ;)

rjturtle9
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM
I can live with this list :)

elturtleboy
01-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Gayballs.

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 11:03 PM

:crash::bricks::LOLFC:

mankvill
01-07-2012, 11:04 PM
I really liked the diversity this year.

The stuff everyone knew would end up here (Anthrax, Mastodon, Iced Earth), the harder stuff that's still real popular (Revocation, The Black Dahlia Murder, Machine Head), and then the stuff that I think really came out of left field (Vektor, DTP, SubRosa)

:D

jd091
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Really glad Black Dahlia made the top 10, but I would have liked to see it a liiiiiiiiittle higher. Again, the fact that Anthrax is above that is so facepalmworthy. Ritual was a great example of the current/near future trend for good extreme metal, rather than a band 20 years past their prime churning out another record, not deviating from their style.

Also kind of sad that Touche Amore didn't break the top 10; I thought it might have a chance.

slapguitarer
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm actually most surprised by Yob.

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Ritual was a great example of the current/near future trend for good extreme metal, rather than a band 20 years past their prime churning out another record, not deviating from their style.

obviously didn't listen to Worship Music

jd091
01-07-2012, 11:06 PM
and then the stuff that I think really came out of left field (Vektor, DTP, SubRosa)

Oh let's be serious, with all the pointless jacking off over that guy here, I'm surprised it wasn't #1.

jd091
01-07-2012, 11:07 PM
obviously didn't listen to Worship Music

Yep. And guess what? Could care less. Making generalizations of a genre of metal I could care less about. ;)

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Oh let's be serious, with all the pointless jacking off over that guy here, I'm surprised it wasn't #1.

JD YOU FORGOT TO EQUIP THE FLAMESHIELD

here comes MPF

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Yep. And guess what? Could care less. Making generalizations of a genre of metal I could care less about. ;)

Isn't it "couldn't care less"? I make that mistake all the time because of that DevilDriver song.

BloodoftheKings
01-07-2012, 11:09 PM

There's nothing pointless about how much we jack off Devy.

GarageMetal468
01-07-2012, 11:09 PM
66th, only 2 votes. :(

:wallbang:

Damn, and yet Machine Head is in the top 10. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

slapguitarer
01-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Really it should be "Couldn't care less about" but a lot of people say "Could care less about" for some reason. Me no comprehendo.

jd091
01-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Isn't it "couldn't care less"? I make that mistake all the time because of that DevilDriver song.

Really it should be "Couldn't care less about" but a lot of people say "Could care less about" for some reason. Me no comprehendo.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/7/7b/Grammar_nazi_logo.png

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 11:15 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/7/7b/Grammar_nazi_logo.png

u just mad cuz we smarter den u

Maiden33
01-07-2012, 11:21 PM
We need to just ban everyone who wasn't here before mid-2009.

Kidding, of course. But seriously, bleh.

jd091
01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
It has nothing to do with grammar.

Case in point

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2012, 11:25 PM
It ceases to be merely a grammar issue when the thing you say is the exact opposite of what you mean. :eyes:

illuminatus917
01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
I honestly don't think of it as a grammar issue as much as just the misinterpretation of a phrase, but technically it is a grammatical mistake, hence my comment deletion.

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 11:32 PM
It ceases to be merely a grammar issue when the thing you say is the exact opposite of what you mean. :eyes:

:lol: this

also; thread succesfully hijacked http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/images/blank.gif

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2012, 11:37 PM
my thoughts because why not

1. Vektor album was quite good and I'm ok with it making the list though I think #1 is a little ridiculous.
2. The Hunter is overrated shit. Mastodon's last album worthy of praise on the level of #2 on a list was Leviathan and frankly both albums after Blood Mountain are pretty much just bad. :hmm:
3. I'm not majorly into the genre and Revocation never struck me as being special among it but since it's just not my thing, whatever.
4. Really good album, ok with it being on this list but #4 is too high.
5. I almost half-like this album because I liked it on my first listen, but it had the least staying power of anything I've heard this year, boring the shit out of me every time I tried to listen to it afterwards. I think it's insane that this is on here tbh.
6. Didn't listen to this album at all because I'm not a fan of DTP, whatever.
7a. I have no idea why this is so popular because honestly I think it's bad when weighed against other similar music. But it's not my specialty area so maybe I just don't get it.
7b. Exciting because it's the first good IE album in a while. But I think it's only good in a year with lots of music better than good. I think the excitement over a 'comeback' has given this album more love than it deserves.
8. SubRosa album was great and unlike Vektor/Anthrax I don't think that it coming in at #8 is questionable, so this is probably the entry I most agree with.
9. Never listened to this because I'm a bad person.
10. We can do better guys.

mankvill
01-07-2012, 11:38 PM
my thoughts because why not

1. Vektor album was quite good and I'm ok with it making the list though I think #1 is a little ridiculous.
2. The Hunter is overrated shit. Mastodon's last album worthy of praise on the level of #2 on a list was Leviathan and frankly both albums after Blood Mountain are pretty much just bad. :hmm:
3. I'm not majorly into the genre and Revocation never struck me as being special among it but since it's just not my thing, whatever.
4. Really good album, ok with it being on this list but #4 is too high.
5. I almost half-like this album because I liked it on my first listen, but it had the least staying power of anything I've heard this year, boring the shit out of me every time I tried to listen to it afterwards. I think it's insane that this is on here tbh.
6. Didn't listen to this album at all because I'm not a fan of DTP, whatever.
7a. I have no idea why this is so popular because honestly I think it's bad when weighed against other similar music. But it's not my specialty area so maybe I just don't get it.
7b. Exciting because it's the first good IE album in a while. But I think it's only good in a year with lots of music better than good. I think the excitement over a 'comeback' has given this album more love than it deserves.
8. SubRosa album was great and unlike Vektor/Anthrax I don't think that it coming in at #8 is questionable, so this is probably the entry I most agree with.
9. Never listened to this because I'm a bad person.
10. We can do better guys.

Everyone should do something like this, instead of shitposting. ;)

I really liked the new 'dong!

treghet
01-07-2012, 11:41 PM
This list is actually better than I expected it to be.

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I feel like I'm somehow a crazy old school purist about Mastodon because I love Remission and Leviathan and cannot bring myself to like the last two ones at all. :mad:

mankvill
01-07-2012, 11:44 PM
I feel like I'm somehow a crazy old school purist about Mastodon because I love Remission and Leviathan and cannot bring myself to like the last two ones at all. :mad:

Yeah, I got heavily into Mastodon around the time CtS came out, so I missed the whole big "Holy shit, Remission/Leviathan/Blood Mountain" phase.

MPF
01-07-2012, 11:45 PM

I was going to say something....

JD YOU FORGOT TO EQUIP THE FLAMESHIELD

here comes MPF

I was then requested to say something...

There's nothing pointless about how much we jack off Devy.

That covers anything I would have said on that topic :lol:

Everyone should do something like this, instead of shitposting. ;)

This covers everything else I would have said.

Maiden33
01-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Rather than quote all 11 albums, this is much easier:

I think Anthrax and Iced Earth are both great albums (ranked 20th and 8th on my own list), and awesome comebacks.

Outside of those two albums, I haven't heard any of these albums in full, nor do I have any desire to do so. I'm sure I'll be berated and called closed-minded for this, but come on - I'm sure even most of you guys are familiar with the idea that you can sometimes tell whether or not you have any desire to hear something just based on reading a description or a review of it. You can call me closed-minded all you want, but the bottom line is that a lot of you guys here feel pretty much exactly the same about most of what I listen to.

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I got heavily into Mastodon around the time CtS came out, so I missed the whole big "Holy shit, Remission/Leviathan/Blood Mountain" phase.

Leviathan wasn't even out yet when I first fell in love with Remission. :( That might have something to do with why I find their new shit hard to impress me. :eyes:

BloodoftheKings
01-07-2012, 11:53 PM
1. Agree with SWIT72, good album but #1 is a little much.
2. Same spot it was on my list :D
3. No problem
4. Too damn high
5. No problem
6. Should be #1
7. didn't listen to either
8. didn't listen
9. didn't listen
10. this album was just ok

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Rather than quote all 11 albums, this is much easier:

I think Anthrax and Iced Earth are both great albums (ranked 20th and 8th on my own list), and awesome comebacks.

Outside of those two albums, I haven't heard any of these albums in full, nor do I have any desire to do so. I'm sure I'll be berated and called closed-minded for this, but come on - I'm sure even most of you guys are familiar with the idea that you can sometimes tell whether or not you have any desire to hear something just based on reading a description or a review of it. You can call me closed-minded all you want, but the bottom line is that a lot of you guys here feel pretty much exactly the same about most of what I listen to.

Yeah... this place used to have less people and a more balanced representation of subgenres. Now the balance is clearly pointed in the direction of the more 'extreme' subgenres, but honestly I do miss having the best of both worlds. :radar:

brutal_descent
01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Doing this because I don't want to start my English assignment that I've procrastinated against all break.

1. Good album, probably not good enough to be #1 but I'd rather have it there than The Hunter.
2. Definitely shouldn't be this high, least of all higher than Revocation or SubRosa.
3. Just where'd I'd put it. :)
4. Wouldn't make the top fifteen if it was up to me. The fact that it's this high is a massive disappointment.
5. A bit too high for it's own good, but a good album nonetheless.
6. Too high, maybe would've been better off in the 11-15 zone.
7A. Great album, maybe a #10 spot?
7B. Better than Dwellings.
8. About where I'd put it, but better than Dwellings, Dystopia, Worship Music, and Ritual.
9. Great album, and very glad to see it up so high, especially higher than Machine Head.
10. ...guys? This is better than Symphony X and/or Anaal Nathrakh? What the fuck is wrong with you?
11. DESERVES TO BE #1 FAGGOTS

BloodoftheKings
01-08-2012, 12:03 AM
6. Too high, maybe would've been better off in the 11-15 zone.

This is the worst thing I've read in this thread so far.

MPF
Ok I guess I will say more.

Is this the perfect list? By no means. But I do think it is very well covered and represented from Thrash, to Power Metal, to Prog, To Doom, To Groove Metal to Extreme Metal. What's really missing?

Maybe I'm delusional, hell, not even all these albums made it in my top 55. But It's pretty well rounded, and again there is at least one album for everyone on here.

jd091
I'm the biggest "meh-er" about post-Leviathan Mastodon, but if you've heard Curl of the Burl and think that The Hunter shouldn't be in the top 10, you're crazy. 2 may be a little high, but still.

Also, I should have put Anaal Nathrakh a few spots higher. It might have pushed it over the edge. :(

BloodoftheKings
01-08-2012, 12:05 AM

Is this the perfect list? By no means. But I do think it is very well covered and represented from Thrash, to Power Metal, to Prog, To Doom, To Groove Metal to Extreme Metal. What's really missing?

Not enough crunkcore.

jd091
01-08-2012, 12:05 AM
What's really missing?

My cores. :bawling:

SomewhereInTime72
01-08-2012, 12:07 AM

Maybe I'm delusional, hell, not even all these albums made it in my top 55. But It's pretty well rounded, and again there is at least one album for everyone on here.

It's really a stretch to say the presence of an IE album makes Power Metal represented. :(

MPF
01-08-2012, 12:08 AM
My cores. :bawling:

Again....what is really missing? :D:D:D

But honestly, even if a couple of those albums made it on there, I wouldn't really be disappointed.

It's really a stretch to say the presence of an IE album makes Power Metal represented.

Power Thrash is still Power Metal. And Hell just the fact Iced Earth even made it in the top 10 is an accomplishment to me.

brutal_descent
01-08-2012, 12:18 AM
I don't recall hearing anything Power-ish on Dystopia. :eyes:

mankvill
01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
For people not liking Iced Earth for power metal, Symphony X was #12, Dream Theater was #15, and Redemption was #27.

MPF
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
For people not liking Iced Earth for power metal, Symphony X was #12, Dream Theater was #15, and Redemption was #27.

Except there is no Power Metal in DT or Redemption.

Symphony X, yes. Light Up The Night is pure Power Metal.

Rocco44
01-08-2012, 12:25 AM
This is the worst thing I've read in this thread so far.

I know right? Should be more like the 81-85 range.

brutal_descent
01-08-2012, 12:26 AM

boooooom roasted

daimonos
01-08-2012, 12:29 AM
1. Don't care
2. Was good, but I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Not surprised to see it this high.
3. Impartial
4. Didn't really enjoy the songs I saw live; haven't heard other than that.
5. Nope.
6. Expected to see this on here. I would probably say this is my #1 of the year.
7A. Haven't heard. Read good things about these guys though.
7B. I would probably like it, but I haven't heard.
8. I liked it, but it's overhyped around here.
9. Glad to see this on here. One of my favorites from this year.
10. Still need to hear this. The Blackening was a big deal for me years ago.

BloodoftheKings
01-08-2012, 12:41 AM

boooooom roasted

http://i.imgur.com/tHPDu.gif

hb420
01-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Great list far better than last year in my opinion. Really happy about #s 7a,8, and 9. :party:

Epidemic Reign
01-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Wow. Very disappointing that Novembers Doom didn't even make the top 20, and the fact that Thy Catafalque isn't up there is clearly due to the simple fact that nobody listened to it.

Epidemic Reign
01-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Albums that I am legitimately surprised didn't make the top 10 (or 20, for that matter):

1. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
I personally don't see the appeal to this band whatsoever. They wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making my top 100 for the year. However, quite a few people ranked them awfully high and I'm very surprised they're not on the list.

2. Landmine Marathon - Gallows
How in the fuck did this (not) happen!?!?! Once again, I didn't vote for it. But still, this site may as well have as many faps as the Official Grace Perry Dot Com. Unbelievable.

3. Russian Circles - Empros
When this album first leaked, it may as well have been the new Alcest the way people were jizzing themselves over it. Where'd the love go?

4. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony
As tremendously mediocre as it is, this album has somehow caught a lot of attention this year. I'm amazed that it didn't work it's way into the top 20... did all the Fleshgod Advocates listen to this album too many times and finally realize there's little here to be desired?

Epidemic Reign
01-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Albums that I found to be criminally underrated this year:

1. Electric Six - Heartbeats & Brainwaves
I myself did not give this album a vote simply due to the fact that I knew none of you would. One thing that you all need to understand is that Electric Six is the greatest band in the history of the world, period.

2. Novembers Doom - Aphotic
We all know that Opeth is one of the most respected bands in the greater realm of metal, and anyone who was disenchanted by Opeth's latest effort should have found their solace here. Why this album was not acknowledged on a wider scale I can't even begin to comprehend.

3. Blood Stain Child - Epsilon
It's not at all difficult for me to understand why this album isn't in the upper ranks this year. To be blunt, IT'S MASSIVELY GAY. Still, it's top ten-worthy.

4. Thy Catafalque - Rengeteg
As I stated earlier, the only reason this album didn't crack the top 10 is because nobody listened to it. 2011 was a triumphant year for hipster shit, and Rengeteg is by far the most incredible hipster-metal album released this year. SHAME ON Y'ALL.

5. Spectral Mortuary - Total Depravity
Probably without a doubt the single best death metal release this year. Unarguably the heaviest record of 2011. This album is what all of the people who made "Welcome to the Morbid Reich" #13 should have spent their votes on.

/drunken rant

jhdeity
01-08-2012, 03:02 AM
I think it's a great list. How many people still think the #1 from last year was the best cd of 2010?

Glad to see Vektor getting their proper due and like MPF said everything was represented to an extent.

treghet
01-08-2012, 03:10 AM

:LOLFC:

I'll second this.

Epidemic Reign
01-08-2012, 03:24 AM
The fact that Revocation came in 3rd completely blows my mind. Fleshgod barely snubbed them for Mediocre Album of the Year in my book.

ravenheart
01-08-2012, 04:49 AM

There are more albums from your list in the top 20 than normal.

ravenheart
01-08-2012, 04:51 AM
The list seems to reflect what everyone voted for perfectly well. I don't see the problem, or any need to whine like pussies about it. The more diverse tastes of the board now is WAY better than the one dimensional "we're basically a Maiden fan site who don't like other Maiden fans" that it used to be.

treghet
01-08-2012, 05:00 AM
The more diverse tastes of the board now is WAY better than the one dimensional "we're basically a Maiden fan site who don't like other Maiden fans" that it used to be.

But Iron Maiden didn't release an album this year. ;)

http://metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=327952&postcount=1

ravenheart
01-08-2012, 05:05 AM
But Iron Maiden didn't release an album this year. ;)

http://metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=327952&postcount=1

They didn't release a top ten worthy album last year either ;)

brutal_descent
01-08-2012, 05:07 AM

Amen :bouville:

HandOfDoom
01-08-2012, 05:19 AM
YOB :party:

ChildrenofSodom
01-08-2012, 05:49 AM

Seconded.

ChildrenofSodom
01-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Ghost > Deconstruction. I liked both A LOT, but the fucking silly lyrics and fart noises on the latter ruined it in comparison. And Iced Earth was good, the only other one (besides DTP and Cormorant) that I liked, but again, the lyrics were SOOOO bad. And there was nothing special musically.

Dextrimental
01-08-2012, 06:42 AM
I can get behind that list, its pretty diverse. The albums out of it I dislike are in the minority, and Vektor and Revocation thoroughly deserve those high spots.

ravenheart
01-08-2012, 06:49 AM
I actually only like three albums in the top 20, and one of those didn't make my own top 20, but that isn't the point. The site isn't one person's view, and I think this list is actually pretty reflective.

mastodon421
01-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Solid list for the most part. Glad to see my top 2 albums (Black Dahlia and Revocation) make the list along with 2 more of my top 10 (Mastodon and Machine Head) and another from my top 20 (Devin Townsend) make the site's top 10. 11-20 is not too shabby either (hell yeah Skeletonwitch and Warbringer). I will say that I can defintiely not get behind Vektor for album of the year, they are sooooooooooo overrated imo. I don't know what is about them (I think it might be the insane hype they get on here), but I really don't think they are anything special.

ShatteredFlame
01-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Mastodon isn't #1 so it's a good list.

brutal_descent
01-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Mastodon isn't #1 so it's a good list.

I thought the same thing ;)

ravenheart
01-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Solid list for the most part. Glad to see my top 2 albums (Black Dahlia and Revocation) make the list along with 2 more of my top 10 (Mastodon and Machine Head) and another from my top 20 (Devin Townsend) make the site's top 10. 11-20 is not too shabby either (hell yeah Skeletonwitch and Warbringer). I will say that I can defintiely not get behind Vektor for album of the year, they are sooooooooooo overrated imo. I don't know what is about them (I think it might be the insane hype they get on here), but I really don't think they are anything special.

No one who likes Warbringer is allowed to state that any other thrash band is overrated. Ever.

brutal_descent
01-08-2012, 08:37 AM
No one who likes Warbringer is allowed to state that any other thrash band is overrated. Ever.

http://emotibot.net/pix/1694.jpg

powerslave_85
01-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Let's see here

1. Didn't hear it
2. Liked it; made my list
3. Didn't hear it
4. Didn't hear it
5. Didn't hear it
6. Didn't hear it
7a. Didn't hear it
7b. Didn't hear it
8. Didn't hear it
9. Didn't hear it
10. Didn't hear it

Yep, sounds about right :lol:

Maiden33
01-08-2012, 08:58 AM
There are more albums from your list in the top 20 than normal.

Not really, it's about the same. There may have been one or two years where it was different, but one album from my own top 10 in the final top 10 is about what I'm used to, along with 2-3 more in the top 20.

The list seems to reflect what everyone voted for perfectly well. I don't see the problem, or any need to whine like pussies about it. The more diverse tastes of the board now is WAY better than the one dimensional "we're basically a Maiden fan site who don't like other Maiden fans" that it used to be.

This board was NEVER like that though. Maybe for the first year or two, long before you were ever here, but our top 10 lists have never, ever screamed "We're a bunch of Maiden fanboys who don't like anything else", aside of the placement of Maiden albums arguably "too high" on the list.

jhdeity
01-08-2012, 09:00 AM

:blaze:

This list smokes last year and I wasn't going to say it but the lack of hipster post rock is a good thing also. I enjoy some of that stuff but Chevelle is heavier than some of the stuff people drool over on here. I almost used the word "shoegaze" for the 1st time in my life but just couldn't bring myself to do it. hahaha

Personally I have a love/hate relationship with The Hunter. Bash it as you want, it's still better than last year's #1 but I too am glad it didn't wind up #1. Glad I dropped it from my Top 10 for Chimaira now...

Maiden33
01-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I still think this is a fairly pointless exercise. Every single year we do this and every single year, about 60-70% of the board is very discontent with it, and every single year it turns into a 20-page thread, usually resulting in a lot of completely pointless arguing between the board members.

powerslave_85
01-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Not really, it's about the same. There may have been one or two years where it was different, but one album from my own top 10 in the final top 10 is about what I'm used to, along with 2-3 more in the top 20.I think you and I are more alike than you think, just on opposite ends of the spectrum ;)

Dextrimental
01-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I still think this is a fairly pointless exercise. Every single year we do this and every single year, about 60-70% of the board is very discontent with it, and every single year it turns into a 20-page thread, usually resulting in a lot of completely pointless arguing between the board members.

Seems this year the majority are happy with it. We're a music nerd forum, with tastes all across the board, so doing a top 20 makes sense in my books. Seems to me, that as much as we enjoy making this list, you enjoy complaining about it more than anyone.

masterguy49
01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Ghost > Deconstruction. I liked both A LOT, but the fucking silly lyrics and fart noises on the latter ruined it in comparison. And Iced Earth was good, the only other one (besides DTP and Cormorant) that I liked, but again, the lyrics were SOOOO bad. And there was nothing special musically.
If the lyrics and fart noises bothered you, then you didn't "get" the album ;)

Also my thoughts:
#1. I liked it a lot. #1 may be a little too high, but better than Mastodon being the top album.
#2. I enjoyed the album, but this is WAY, WAY too high. This is coming from a guy who adores Mastodon too.
#3. My #1, upset it's behind Mastodon, but #3 is fucking awesome :fist:
#4. Enjoyed this album a good deal, too high though and way too overrated.
#5. I liked this album a lot, glad it made the top 10. Deserves it.
#6. I loved this album, I think this is a good place for it. :D
#7a. Awesome album, deserved to be higher.
#7b. It was a good album, no problem with it being here.
#8. I LOVE this album, way too low. Especially since it has been getting so much love here.
#9. I liked it a good deal, but I need to listen to it more. Glad it made it here.
#10. I'm pretty sure I'm alone here saying I'm glad this is here. There were better albums but I really enjoyed the new release. Touche Amore and Anaal Nathrakh deserve this spot more though.

brutal_descent
01-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I guess Cormorant saw this, because they linked the list on their Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/CormorantMusic/posts/273537092700276) :lol:

Spiner202
01-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm not surprised given what everyone else's lists looked like, but I am somewhat surprised at those lists. Maybe my choice of Metal is just a bit too mainstream or something, but none of those albums besides Vektor and Warbringer are really worth listening to for me. And I find Vektor to be vastly overrated. I will listen to Revocation though, because I've heard a lot about them and haven't really given them a fair shot. The new Anthrax is horribly overrated. Yes, it's good, but it's way too long, and it's very front-loaded.

ChildrenofSodom
01-08-2012, 09:26 AM
If the lyrics and fart noises bothered you, then you didn't "get" the album ;)

Oh, bullshit. The first 46.75 minutes were fun, interesting, and metal. Then the shit about testicles showed up...

ravenheart
01-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm not surprised given what everyone else's lists looked like, but I am somewhat surprised at those lists. Maybe my choice of Metal is just a bit too mainstream or something, but none of those albums besides Vektor and Warbringer are really worth listening to for me. And I find Vektor to be vastly overrated. I will listen to Revocation though, because I've heard a lot about them and haven't really given them a fair shot. The new Anthrax is horribly overrated. Yes, it's good, but it's way too long, and it's very front-loaded.

There rest aren't worth listening to? Yeah, possible candidate for silliest post of this thread there.

brutal_descent
01-08-2012, 09:27 AM
I will listen to Revocation though, because I've heard a lot about them and haven't really given them a fair shot.

Listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zB6di2yR4), this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlPYV-Y10uc&feature=related), and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmg3jr7Bhfo) :)

There rest aren't worth listening to? Yeah, possible candidate for silliest post of this thread there.

He's going to Wacken, so why are you surprised? ;)

ravenheart
01-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I still think this is a fairly pointless exercise

No. It would be a pointless exercise if we all agreed. These things are ONLY worth doing when drawn from varied tastes within a broad shared interest, in our case "metal".

ravenheart
01-08-2012, 09:31 AM
This board was NEVER like that though. Maybe for the first year or two, long before you were ever here, but our top 10 lists have never, ever screamed "We're a bunch of Maiden fanboys who don't like anything else", aside of the placement of Maiden albums arguably "too high" on the list.

Bull and shit. It was like that when I arrived, and for about a year after that, then it started branching out more. Some people are either still like that, or still want it to be like that.

This right now is better.

EDIT: Also, if you think it's such a pointless exercise, and indeed have thought so every year we do it, don't contribute a list anymore. The act of joining in basically condones its taking place.

mankvill
01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I guess Cormorant saw this, because they linked the list on their Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/CormorantMusic/posts/273537092700276) :lol:

Hi Cormorant, give me free stuff plzkthx :D

Spiner202
01-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Keywords: "For me". I'm sure there's some music out there that you don't consider worth listening to, and yet, it probably has quite a decent fan base.

But if you really think opinions are silly, then I'm surprised you participated in this.

DethMaiden
01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Well, at least SubRosa was there, I guess. Terrible list otherwise.

BloodoftheKings
01-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Vektor's response to this thread and being named #1. (from facebook)

"Funny how so many people are complaining about it even though they made it happen haha. Still totally awesome to see, flattery will get you everywhere."

mankvill
01-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Well, at least SubRosa was there, I guess. Terrible list otherwise.

Pfft, subrosa was the only terrible part ;)

dcmetal108
01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Other than BDM nothing on that list was mine.

I'm surprised Fucked Up didn't make the list.

jd091
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm surprised Fucked Up didn't make the list.

I think that was an album that only a specific group of people loved, but they were very vocal about their love for it, making it seem like it would get higher on this list. Personally, I couldnt get into it at all, but I appreciate their musicianship.

powerslave_85
01-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Well, it got quite a few votes, including a couple in the top 3, but it seems like there were more voters this year than in previous years.

illuminatus917
01-08-2012, 12:26 PM

You seemingly being the most discontent. Don't expect us to believe your discontentedness is indicative of the board's, because it isn't.

Nobody else is talking about banning members because of their discontent with an EOY list.

So, here are my thoughts on the list. SomewhereInTime72 covered it pretty well, but my :2cents::

1. A fabulous album, and I'd rather it be #1 than The Hunter.
2. Not a top 10 album, but of course not surprised to see it here.
3. Of all the technical death metal bands out there, Revocation is more appealing to me than most, for whatever reason. I just don't like the genre enough to support it being this high on the list. Did you people forget about Origin and Obscura?
4. It's nice to see Anthrax release a good album again. It's easily their best since the Sound of White Noise. But #4? :confused:
5. I've never liked this band. I won't comment against it being on the list because if my bias.
6. :eyes:
7A. :party:
7B. Agree with SIT72 wholeheartedly. I'm not against this album being in the top 10, but it's probably here for the wrong reasons.
8. Super stoked this one made it. Definitely my favorite album on this list.
9. Nice to see doom getting some love, even though I wasn't particularly fond of this album.
10. I really didn't expect this one to make the top 20, much less the top 10. I thought its reception was luke warm at best. Who the fuck voted for this album?

2 of my top 10 in this top 10
3 of my top 20 in this top 20
4 of my top 50 in this top 50

Overall a well rounded list. Not overly pleased, but not dissatisfied either.

illuminatus917
01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
And, I think we all owe mankvill a special thanks for doing this.

Thanks mankvill! :party::rocker::party:

slapguitarer
01-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah, thanks Manks!

metallicbrian666
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Damn that list blows.

mankvill
01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
And, I think we all owe mankvill a special thanks for doing this.

Thanks mankvill! :party::rocker::party:

<3

SomewhereInTime72
01-08-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't know what happened over the past year that this years list disagrees with me so much more than any year's past list.

Only 1 from my top 10 in the top 20, none in the top 10.
Only 2 from my top 25 in the top 20.
Only 6 from my top 50(!!) in the top 20.

I remember agreeing much more than this in the past. :eyes:

DementedX14
01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
1. No sir, I don't like it.
2. Decent album for what it is, but sounds boring and unworthy of being in the top 10.
3. Good album.
4. I hate Anthrax and they suck.
5. Great band, but album does really deserve to be in top 10.
6. Devy album is ok but didn't do that much for me. Top 20 easily.
7A. Haven't listened to this band and have heard good things but not enough to really check out at this time.
7B. Haven't listened and don't care.
8. No sir, I don't like it.
9. No sir, I don't like it.
10. This album was just ok and maybe worthy of top 25 at least.

Overall this list sucks.

mankvill
01-08-2012, 02:14 PM
:bouville: sheesh, I honestly thought people would really like this list, even more than last year.

ChildrenofSodom
01-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't know what happened over the past year that this years list disagrees with me so much more than any year's past list.

Influx of new users. Lowering of the median age. Influx of new thrash and djent (or whatever Revocation is, "technical death"?) bands. Decreased frequency of posting by old guard users (Brad, Div, Natty, me).

All this has coincided with a drastic increase in the presence of memes, and epitomized by the use of ">". I think I'm going to follow Brad out the door in a little bit...

mankvill
01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Influx of new users. Lowering of the median age. Influx of new thrash and djent (or whatever Revocation is, "technical death"?) bands. Decreased frequency of posting by old guard users (Brad, Div, Natty, me).

All this has coincided with a drastic increase in the presence of memes, and epitomized by the use of ">". I think I'm going to follow Brad out the door in a little bit...

Unfortunately, anytime you say anything about it they just respond with more memes. :(

slapguitarer
01-08-2012, 02:20 PM
:bouville: sheesh, I honestly thought people would really like this list, even more than last year.

I actually thought it was a good list.

JRA
01-08-2012, 02:22 PM
I honestly don't understand what the problem is. All of our yearly top 10 lists sucked with the popular band of that year being #1. Mastodon was #2 this year, that's all I needed. If the health of the board was solely determined by this lists I would have left a long time ago. Just be grateful no one voted in Iwrestledabearonce.

Epidemic Reign
01-08-2012, 02:25 PM

>implying teh interwebz is srs bsns

ChildrenofSodom
01-08-2012, 02:38 PM
>implying teh interwebz is srs bsns

According to a quick analysis...

16 lists were submitted (publicly, not sure who sent Mank PMs) by users who joined in 2010. 7 were submitted by users who joined in 2011. Together, these are 43% of the lists submitted. I don't have a comparison to last year, but to me that shows a dramatic shift. Of the 11 Vektor votes (again, that were made public), 7 came from this new wave of users. I won't crunch the numbers, but it appears that most of the Revocation and YOB votes came from these newer users as well.

That's my aspergers moment of the day. Take it for what you will.

mankvill
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
According to a quick analysis...

16 lists were submitted (publicly, not sure who sent Mank PMs) by users who joined in 2010. 7 were submitted by users who joined in 2011. Together, these are 43% of the lists submitted. I don't have a comparison to last year, but to me that shows a dramatic shift. Of the 11 Vektor votes (again, that were made public), 7 came from this new wave of users. I won't crunch the numbers, but it appears that most of the Revocation and YOB votes came from these newer users as well.

That's my aspergers moment of the day. Take it for what you will.

I don't know why you'd put YOB in the same group as "new extreme bands these new kids like"

ChildrenofSodom
01-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I don't know why I did that, to be honest. I guess the worship of each annoys me.

mankvill
01-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I don't know why I did that, to be honest. I guess the worship of each annoys me.

:flame: well go make a band that sings about eating crazy food!

ChildrenofSodom
01-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge

jd091
01-08-2012, 02:57 PM

wut

mankvill
01-08-2012, 02:57 PM

:lol:

El Gordo
01-08-2012, 03:18 PM
In case anyone cares, my thoughts on "The List":

1. I voted Vektor in the #1 slot, so I have no problem with this whatsoever. Absolutely the best album I heard all year, and I'm not one of the people who consider Black Future to be one of the best thrash albums ever.

2. I was afraid Mastodon would take the top spot, so at least this is slighty better than what could have happened. Honestly this is a mediocre album, and just not indicative of what these guys are capable of. It features some very strong songs, but not nearly consistent or interesting enough to be a true #2.

3. Revocation aren't really my cup of tea, but I didn't hate this one.

4. Much like Mastodon, I think Anthrax get in because of their reputation and the hype surrounding the record. Not a bad album by any means, but also nothing special.

5 - 7a. Didn't listen to these three, will have to check them out. Never been a fan of them though.

7b. I don't have a problem with Iced Earth being in the top ten, as Dystopia grows on me a little every time I listen to it. I had it ranked around 14 on my list though, I think.

8. Again no problem with this being in the top ten, but quite a bit higher than I had it ranked.

9. I had YOB ranked 9th too, go figure. Excellent album.

10. I don't even know what to say. I've made my feelings on MH pretty well known around here. I guess I just don't get it.

- Surprised Symphony X and Anaal Nathrakh didn't make the top ten, considering their popularity around these parts.
- Disappointed Vader didn't crack the top ten with what was a massive return to form.
- Also disappointed strong releases from Vreid, Crowbar & Havok didn't garner much interest at all.
- Surprised/Disappointed in the amount of bunched panties over this. It's just a list, ladies. If everyone had the same opinion on things, the internet would be pretty fucking dull.
- Nice work, Manks. Your efforts are much appreciated.

ShatteredFlame
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I honestly don't understand what the problem is. All of our yearly top 10 lists sucked with the popular band of that year being #1. Mastodon was #2 this year, that's all I needed.

This guy gets it :D.

Rocco44
01-08-2012, 03:33 PM
As lists go I can't really complain about this one. It's not full of mainstream garbage and there aren't any shitty albums so what more can you ask for.

jhdeity
01-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Obviously people love music for various reasons. I happen to really like great riffs and memorable, thought-provoking lyrics. I also like tempo changes, a breakdown here and there and vocals that are audible and sing-a-long-able. I appreciate good guitar work and really like ripping solos. Basically I really like music that when I see it live I can headbang to, mosh to and sing-a-long and release stress to.

So when someone asks "Who voted for this shit?" it's usually me. hahaha

I heard thousands of songs in 2011 and 4 of the Best 15 songs I heard in 2011 are on the new Machine Head cd. Granted they took a while to grow on me but they did and I stand by that cd 100%. It's not perfect and that child choir still grates my nerves but I can't wait to hear these songs live and jam out to them. To each his own I guess...

4 of my Top 10 made the list and it would have been 5 if I didn't drop The Hunter. I'll take that...

GarageMetal468
01-08-2012, 04:07 PM

That's my favorite Necrophagist song! :rocker:

AnthG
01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Outside of Machine Head and Revocation, both of which I voted for, I haven't heard any of the albums. Not even Anthrax. Yep.

SomewhereInTime72
01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
At least manks did a job well done even if I don't like the results. :horns:

Maiden33
01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
You seemingly being the most discontent. Don't expect us to believe your discontentedness is indicative of the board's, because it isn't.

Nobody else is talking about banning members because of their discontent with an EOY list.

You clearly missed the part where I said I was joking.

Also, please don't make me go back through this thread and quote the probably 15+ people who posted saying they thought the list sucked in at least one way, if not several. I'm willing to admit I may be the most upset about it, but you're not going to make me out to be the one guy shitting on everyone else's parade.

illuminatus917
01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
You clearly missed the part where I said I was joking.

Also, please don't make me go back through this thread and quote the probably 15+ people who posted saying they thought the list sucked in at least one way, if not several. I'm willing to admit I may be the most upset about it, but you're not going to make me out to be the one guy shitting on everyone else's parade.

I'm pretty sure everyone who has commented has thought the list sucked in at least one way, if not several. The difference is, nobody else is as adamant in voicing disproval as you are. Excepting maybe Childrenofsodom.

I get the feeling this board is about to face an identity crisis.

Natrlhi
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
So, here are my thoughts on the list. SomewhereInTime72 covered it pretty well, but my :2cents::

1. A fabulous album, and I'd rather it be #1 than The Hunter.
2. Not a top 10 album, but of course not surprised to see it here.
3. Of all the technical death metal bands out there, Revocation is more appealing to me than most, for whatever reason. I just don't like the genre enough to support it being this high on the list. Did you people forget about Origin and Obscura?
4. It's nice to see Anthrax release a good album again. It's easily their best since the Sound of White Noise. But #4? :confused:
5. I've never liked this band. I won't comment against it being on the list because if my bias.
6. :eyes:
7A. :party:
7B. Agree with SIT72 wholeheartedly. I'm not against this album being in the top 10, but it's probably here for the wrong reasons.
8. Super stoked this one made it. Definitely my favorite album on this list.
9. Nice to see doom getting some love, even though I wasn't particularly fond of this album.
10. I really didn't expect this one to make the top 20, much less the top 10. I thought its reception was luke warm at best. Who the fuck voted for this album?

2 of my top 10 in this top 10
3 of my top 20 in this top 20
4 of my top 50 in this top 50

Overall a well rounded list. Not overly pleased, but not dissatisfied either.This. Every single fucking word of it, right down to the comments about "how many of my top x are in this top x". The only exceptions are that four of my top 20 are in this top 20, not three...and my top 50 isn't quite finalized yet, but there will definitely be more than four in common between this list and mine.

Also thanks to Manks for doing this again. I'll even forgive the comment about SubRosa because I'm sure you were either (a) trolling, or (b) off your fucking meds when you typed it.

My least favorite thing about this list is that it made Brad leave. :(

treghet
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
My least favorite thing about this list is that it made Brad leave. :(

If only more people had voted for Fucked Up...

Natrlhi
01-08-2012, 09:15 PM
^ I don't think that would have done it.

I think he saw / felt that the "new guard" was going to take over the asylum, and left before his name got any more attached to it - kinda like a rat bailing from a sinking ship.

I'm not so sure he was wrong about that, but I feel I'm risking very little to stick around and find out. :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
01-08-2012, 09:20 PM
:(

illuminatus917
01-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I think he saw / felt that the "new guard" was going to take over the asylum, and left before his name got any more attached to it - kinda like a rat bailing from a sinking ship.

I'm not so sure he was wrong about that, but I feel I'm risking very little to stick around and find out. :lol:

That's pretty much a perfect way to describe it. Though he mentioned that's in addition to his final semester in school and the soon-to-consume-his-life job hunt/post-college stress.

I think we have some interesting times ahead of us.

treghet
01-08-2012, 11:23 PM
I think we have some interesting times ahead of us.

That's for sure. :hecho:

The_jman
01-09-2012, 06:34 PM
A few things...

1. I didn't get to vote cause of the shortened time to vote, but ah well nothing I would have voted for would have made it, save maybe symphony x or evergrey.

2. I want to say this list sucks, but I've not really heard 99% of it, so yeah. But don't really care to either.

3. the board does seem to be changing, even since I joined in 2009, and I don't think all the changes are for the best.

4. I read this whole thread, how did I miss brad saying he was leaving? That really sucks if true... I enjoyed his posts.

5. the median age of the board does seem to be going down, I feel old.

6. I'm not sure I had a 6th comment. carry on.

oh yes, last years list owned this years....

hellawaits77ny
01-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Cool list, interesting to see so many suprises. Well, suprises to me, at least.

I had only 1 album from my Top 10 in the top 20 list :eek:.

jhdeity
01-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Am I the only one cracking up over guys who have 10K posts on this site claiming they're leaving over a year end list? 3 words...

best.list.ever

jd091
01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Am I the only one cracking up over guys who have 10K posts on this site claiming they're leaving over a year end list? 3 words...

best.list.ever

I don't think any of them left because of the list...

daimonos
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
3. the board does seem to be changing, even since I joined in 2009, and I don't think all the changes are for the best.

this.

ravenheart
01-10-2012, 02:43 AM
I don't think any of them left because of the list...

It was certainly the last straw for Maiden33. But not the sole cause.

ravenheart
01-10-2012, 02:45 AM
1. I didn't get to vote cause of the shortened time to vote, but ah well nothing I would have voted for would have made it, save maybe symphony x or evergrey.

Rubbish excuse. The list this year came out a day later than last year ;)

4. I read this whole thread, how did I miss brad saying he was leaving? That really sucks if true... I enjoyed his posts.

He actually said it mostly in the What Are You Doing thread. He hasn't left because of this list.

SomewhereInTime72
01-10-2012, 02:55 AM

best.list.ever

it's pretty obvious that the list is just a solid representation of the changes that have occurred in this place over the past two years. if you think it's silly for that to solidify a cause to leave, then you fail to understand this place.

also if you think this place will be better without brad or jeff you also fail to understand it. :allan:

jhdeity
01-10-2012, 08:33 AM
it's pretty obvious that the list is just a solid representation of the changes that have occurred in this place over the past two years. if you think it's silly for that to solidify a cause to leave, then you fail to understand this place.

also if you think this place will be better without brad or jeff you also fail to understand it. :allan:

I don't think I fail to understand anything. Both of those guys are cool but pulling an Eric Cartman, screw you guys, I'm going home is the most anti-metal thing I've heard in my life. Just sayin...

Like they're actually leaving...

ravenheart
01-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Definitely. It's always sad when there are less people to make fun of ;)

jhdeity
01-10-2012, 08:40 AM
And people cry about the list every year. Why is this year any different? Vektor is far more deserving than last year's #1 by a mile.

Seems like less people voted so I may be wrong but I don't see why people are acting like this list is worlds different than previous years. Anthrax was too high in peoples eyes like Maiden last year because of their legacy. Thrash and Doom are making huge comebacks and were represented also.

So are people saying the lack of shoegaze, elves and viking songs and vomitorium vocals is the biggest flaw of the list? Really?

Dammit I use the dreaded "S" word. hahahaha

ravenheart
01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I think you're reading too much into the list being the reason for it. It's really not.

jhdeity
01-10-2012, 09:15 AM
I think you're reading too much into the list being the reason for it. It's really not.

I was referring to Sodom's Fuck it, I'm out then following Brad out the door comments but regardless... why announce it like you're KK Downing? hahaha

Natrlhi
01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
My least favorite thing about this list is that it made Brad leave. :(For the record: For those who don't yet understand how my posts work, I didn't believe a word of this when I typed it.

Just had to throw that out there.

EDIT:
Also, this.

jhdeity
01-10-2012, 03:01 PM
For the record: For those who don't yet understand how my posts work, I didn't believe a word of this when I typed it.

Just had to throw that out there.

EDIT:

Also, this.

The 1st post after the list was posted said FUCK THIS, I'M OUT!

Funny thing is I laughed and figured he was joking. Who would say something like that seriously? Then I saw the following Brad out the door comment and actually laughed my ass off. none.less.metal.

hahaha

mankvill
01-10-2012, 03:08 PM
The 1st post after the list was posted said FUCK THIS, I'M OUT!

Funny thing is I laughed and figured he was joking. Who would say something like that seriously? Then I saw the following Brad out the door comment and actually laughed my ass off. none.less.metal.

hahaha

Cameron was being silly, he didn't actually leave

Crionics
01-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm content with this list, but I'm one of those who voted Vektor as #1.

jhdeity
01-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Cameron was being silly, he didn't actually leave

That's cool. I did get a good laugh out his initial post.

IrritatedTrout
01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Disappointing list.