PDA

View Full Version : 2012 movies.....

Pages : 1 [2]

powerslave_85
08-19-2012, 06:20 PM
I need to see ParaNorman.

mastodon421
08-20-2012, 04:06 AM
Saw The Bourne Legacy last night. One of the slowest,pointless, and mind-numbingly average movies I've seen in quite some time. Glad I didn't pay to see it.

dcmetal108
08-20-2012, 04:12 AM
I need to see ParaNorman.

This.

Natrlhi
08-28-2012, 07:49 AM
I watched Jeff Who Lives at Home today. It definitely wasn't the kind of comedy you would typically expect from Ed Helms and Jason Segel but that's fine by me. It didn't really have any laugh out loud moments but it was pretty funny in some ways. Not one of the best I've seen this year but it was enjoyable.I watched this last night with my wife (first movie we've watched since the twins were born...yay!).

I'll say three things about it:

First, it isn't really a comedy. I mean, sure - there are some laughs, but that's not really the point of the movie. I could tell within the first ten minutes that this was going to be another wryly-funny-mostly-by-coincidence-but-primarily-existential movie about the interconnectedness of all things, and not surprisingly I was right. However, I have no problem with this whatsoever. It was good film for what it was - it's just that it was marketed as one thing and turned out to be something else, so the inherent problem with this is that the film's creators might actually be missing their target audience somewhat, but that's not my problem, so whatever.

Second, the film has absolutely no repeat watching appeal. This isn't necessarily a criticism, it's just a fact. Once you know how the story goes, the cat is out of the bag and the appeal of watching it again is absolutely zero. Again, this might hurt the movie from a DVD sales point of view, but it doesn't affect me as a rental viewer so I'm indifferent.

Third, the movie was entertaining - plus, it got a little rise out of me when I saw the ending. I liked that. Did I kinda see it coming? Sure, but this movie wasn't about trying to shock the viewer with a surprise ending that he never saw coming - it's about making the viewer care about the characters and then providing a nice creative way for things to work out. Simplistic? Maybe. Surprising? No. Satisfying and somewhat moving? Absolutely. So, I liked it.

Natrlhi
08-28-2012, 07:51 AM
I need to see ParaNorman.I want to see this with my six-year-old son. He watches "Monster House" on nearly a daily basis these days, so I figure he'll really enjoy this. Plus, "Coraline" was great, so I have no reason to doubt this will be good as well.

dcmetal108
08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm finally going to see The Campaign tomorrow!

Campaign was a disappointment.

ShatteredFlame
08-30-2012, 09:09 AM
the Apparition got absolutely thrashed. A straight up 2% on RT. The Possession is also getting bad buzz, so much for those two :(.

I'm not sure if this can be considered a 2012 release. It was on limited release in 2011 but most people didn't see it until 2012 and RT considers it to be a 2012 film. The movie "The Innkeepers". I watched it last night and found it to be decent. It's made by the same guy who made House of the Devil, great pacing between scares but overall I don't think it is a movie I will be coming back to due to very bland lead characters. Still decent for a rent.

dcmetal108
08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I dont care about the ratings for movies, I still kinda want to see The Apparition and The Possession.

dcmetal108
09-01-2012, 02:02 PM
The Possession was actually good. Slower build up but the end made up for it. Shocking actually that I liked it but its Sam Ramsi and he knows how to make a horror movie different

BloodoftheKings
09-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Sam Ramsi

http://asset0.venuszine.com/article_image/image/2046/viewer_wide/no-country-for-old-men-tommylee.jpg?1195153468

Anyway, I finally saw God Bless America tonight. I enjoyed but it could have been better. The bits where they made fun of reality tv and the conservative media were probably the best parts of the movie. I just wish they were a little more creative with the kills (all they really do is shoot people) and Roxanne wasn't a very likable character.

powerslave_85
09-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I watched Battleship because I don't know why, and I didn't totally hate it. I mean, it was bad, but it was watchable, and nowhere near as bad as the Transformers movies, despite having a similar style.

mastodon421
09-03-2012, 07:16 PM
I saw Lawless and Premium Rush this weekend. Lawless was fucking great. It had an engrossing story, is beautifully shot, and very well-acted (Tom Hardy deserves an Oscar nod imo and Shia LaBouef shows he can actually act!). Premium Rush was surprisingly pretty good too. Some cool stunts, a simple, but effective plot, and the whole bike messenger concept set it apart from other similar action. Fun, mindless movie that is a more than passable time-waster.

kalfitegrdan
09-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Shia LaBouef shows he can actually act!).

:eek:

Dextrimental
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Went to see The Possession and The Watch over the weekend. The Possession was disappointing, but still managed to be ok. The Watch is good, and a step in the right direction for comedies these days, if you ask me. Not great mind you, but still good.

John The Drummer
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
The new Resident Evil looks pretty fucking awesome :eyes:

dcmetal108
09-05-2012, 12:53 PM

I know.

On a related note I just got 4 tickets to a private screening the 20th for House At The End Of The Street. Movie looks like shit but for free plus its not even a public screening is worth going to.

kalfitegrdan
09-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Really? It's gotta be at least better than the fourth one. That movie was beyond terrible.

mastodon421
09-06-2012, 03:54 AM
New Resident Evil looks EXACTLY like the other ones or much shittier versions of the Underworld series. I love the Resident Evil games, but the movies are fucking awful (Keep in mind this also coming from a self-admitted action movie whore).

Dextrimental
09-06-2012, 04:07 AM
I will be seeing the new Resident Evil. While I dislike the movies, I am finding how ridiculous they get entertaining, and the mindless action with zombies is at least kind of entertaining!

kalfitegrdan
09-06-2012, 05:54 AM
I absolutely loved the second one, thought the first was pretty good and the third was okay, but the fourth one was just offensively bad.

John The Drummer
09-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Really? It's gotta be at least better than the fourth one. That movie was beyond terrible.

I know previews always just show the good parts, but the action scenes they have shown in this movies previews have looked really good!

When it comes to the movies....

Resident Evil - It wasn't bad, but it could have been much better if they made it based off the game a bit more.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse - I liked this better than the first one, but felt they were going off of RE: Nemesis a bit too much at times, and the "slow-mo zombie cam" got a bit annoying, but still felt more enjoyable!

The last two that came out blended together for me and I don't remember much of both. I've been meaning to watch the movies again so I can remember what happened.

Either way, I am being an optimist on the new one, it at least has to be better than the CG "Degeneration" movie (I was bored to tears with that one).

kalfitegrdan
09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Either way, I am being an optimist on the new one, it at least has to be better than the CG "Degeneration" movie (I was bored to tears with that one).

Yeah, that CG movie was pretty terrible. I still liked it more than the fourth movie though.

John The Drummer
09-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah, that CG movie was pretty terrible. I still liked it more than the fourth movie though.

Was the fourth movie the one where the scientist dude injected himself with the virus and turned into the "final boss"... or was that the third one?

kalfitegrdan
09-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Was the fourth movie the one where the scientist dude injected himself with the virus and turned into the "final boss"... or was that the third one?

I think so.

John The Drummer
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
I think so.

After rewatching them this weekend....

Extinction(3): Out in the wastelands of Las Vegas, find the undergroud base, scientest dude injects himself and becomes the "final boss"

Afterlife(4): Takes place mainly in the jail in LA, "Arcadia" ship, blah blah, fight Wesker.

Either way, stoked for the new one!

hinder5050
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
going to see branded and lawless this week

XDoomsayerX
09-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Resident Evil movies...:barf:

dcmetal108
09-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Saw the new RE tonight. It's not that bad, not too much horror though. Alot of shooting action scenes. Entertaining but story wise its shit. They will keep popping these out though.

BloodoftheKings
09-15-2012, 08:23 PM
>Resident Evil movies

goergecostanza.jpg

mastodon421
09-16-2012, 03:32 AM
>Resident Evil Movies
>Not much horror

No shit sherlock

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2012, 07:55 PM
The resident evil movies happen to horrify me.

dcmetal108
09-20-2012, 06:25 PM
House At The End Of The Street fucking sucks.

XDoomsayerX
09-21-2012, 12:43 AM

Of course it did. Most slashers and horror movies do.

mastodon421
09-21-2012, 11:36 AM

PG-13 horror being bad? Shocking.

dcmetal108
09-21-2012, 04:10 PM
PG-13 horror being bad? Shocking.

:confused::confused::confused::tp::tp::tp:

I can't tell if your serious. There are quite a lot of PG-13 horror movies that have been good. Hell even recently the Possession was PG-13 and that was actually good.

BloodoftheKings
09-21-2012, 04:22 PM

I can't tell if your serious. There are quite a lot of PG-13 horror movies that have been good. Hell even recently the Possession was PG-13 and that was actually good.

As far as I know, the only good PG-13 horror movie is Drag Me to Hell.

dcmetal108
09-21-2012, 05:38 PM
As far as I know, the only good PG-13 horror movie is Drag Me to Hell.

There are a large amount of PG13 horror movies that are watchable.

BloodoftheKings
09-21-2012, 06:10 PM
There are a large amount of PG13 horror movies that are watchable.

List 5.

dcmetal108
09-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Where to start :

Just off the top of my head :

The Ring
Poltergiest
The Others
White Noise
Prom Night (remake and it was not too bad)
The Possession
Drag Me To Hell

Thats a few and before someone trys saying stuff like 1408 isn't horror it is. Not a jump out scene type horror but still a horror movie.

BloodoftheKings
09-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Where to start :

Just off the top of my head :

The Ring
Poltergiest
The Others
White Noise
Prom Night (remake and it was not too bad)
The Possession
Drag Me To Hell

Thats a few and before someone trys saying stuff like 1408 isn't horror it is. Not a jump out scene type horror but still a horror movie.

2 good movies and a couple of decent ones.

illuminatus917
09-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Well, The Hobbit and Elysium are the only two movies on my radar right now... anything beyond those I either don't know about or couldn't care less.

dcmetal108
09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
See none are really too bad though. I said there are a nice amount of watchable PG13 horror movies.

Its just unfortunate that there are so many ones they pump out that are complete shit and just made for money from middle school kids.

XDoomsayerX
09-21-2012, 09:59 PM

What this guy said.

Dredd 3D was okay don't recommend to drop any cash on it; it was a super simple movie. End of Watch seems good. Was half way through the movie then the power went out in the whole theater/mall block. Some drunk driver crash or something. Hope to finish it.

mastodon421
09-22-2012, 03:40 AM

Dead serious. Personally I'm not a huge horror fan in general, but at least recently PG-13 horror is pretty much a guarantee that it's an awful movie.

dcmetal108
09-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Dead serious. Personally I'm not a huge horror fan in general, but at least recently PG-13 horror is pretty much a guarantee that it's an awful movie.

Yeah lately PG13 horror movies have sucked a lot. None of are scary and they all just relies on a horrible plot twist that to a adult seems like shit but the kids think its the greatest twist ever in a movie.

ShatteredFlame
09-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Killer Klowns From Outer Space is only rated PG-13 and nobody remembers that. Also Salem's Lot and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Anyway I watched Sound of My Voice last night and that was a disappointment. It had a very interesting concept and the trailer made it look creepy as fuck but it looks like the writers did not know where to go with the story. It feels very rushed and I am not sure if the movie even had a point.

BloodoftheKings
09-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Killer Klowns From Outer Space is only rated PG-13 and nobody remembers that. Also Salem's Lot and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Killer Klowns is more of a comedy and Invasion of the Body Snatchers is from an era where horror movies weren't that violent so the ratings argument doesn't apply. I think it's safe to say PG-13 horror is shit in general.

mastodon421
09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Saw Dredd last night. Great B-action movie. Hits all the right over the-top notes and it's bloody and entertaining as hell.

BloodoftheKings
09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Dredd 3D was okay don't recommend to drop any cash on it; it was a super simple movie.

Saw Dredd last night. Great B-action movie. Hits all the right over the-top notes and it's bloody and entertaining as hell.

I plan on seeing sometime in the next few days. My jaw dropped when I saw it got a certified fresh rating on RT. I thought it was gonna be awful judging by the trailer.

ShatteredFlame
09-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers is from an era where horror movies weren't that violent so the ratings argument doesn't apply.

I was referring to the 1978 version

ShatteredFlame
09-22-2012, 01:31 PM
I know it's not saying much but Resident Evil Damnation was easily the best Resident Evil movie ever made and a pretty decent movie on its own rights. I highly recommend it to any Resident Evil fans. If anyone is confused, I am talking about the new animated movie and not the live action one. I do not really remember anything about the first animated film and I do not remember it being very good but this one was a huge improvement.

dcmetal108
09-22-2012, 04:30 PM
I know it's not saying much but Resident Evil Damnation was easily the best Resident Evil movie ever made and a pretty decent movie on its own rights. I highly recommend it to any Resident Evil fans. If anyone is confused, I am talking about the new animated movie and not the live action one. I do not really remember anything about the first animated film and I do not remember it being very good but this one was a huge improvement.

I had never heard about it until surfing a movie site the other night. Now I have to check it out soon. The last RE animated movie was just okay.

makethemsuffer12
09-22-2012, 05:49 PM

I enjoyed Degeneration, so I'll have to check this out.

powerslave_85
09-22-2012, 05:55 PM
The Master was outstanding. At the risk of sounding like a quote on a movie poster, Joaquin Phoenix's performance is mesmerizing.

Natrlhi
09-22-2012, 06:54 PM

What this guy said.
Thirded.

Natrlhi
09-22-2012, 07:22 PM
The Master was outstanding. At the risk of sounding like a quote on a movie poster, Joaquin Phoenix's performance is mesmerizing.I almost saw that tonight. My wife and I went to see "End of Watch" (more on that in a minute), and we almost pulled the ol' illegal double feature to see "The Master", but we were too tired to make it through another movie and just decided to come home. We are truly getting old, because back in the day, that would have been a no-brainer. Then again, the second movie would have cost us another $20 (at least) in babysitting fees, so maybe we made the right choice. ;)

Naw, but "End of Watch" was, simply put, the best movie I've seen all year. Hands down. Jake Gyllenhall might even deserve an Oscar for his performance - he was that good. Michael Pena was excellent as well. I'm not going to say a damn thing more about it, because in my opinion, the less you know about the movie before going to see it, the better. Just fucking go. That is all.

Oh, and the 15% of critics polled by Rotten Tomatoes who didn't like it should be shot in the head for being "I'm to cool for school" elitist fucktards.

powerslave_85
09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Funny, because I almost went to see End of Watch instead. Maybe next weekend; I still really want to see it. Glad to hear it was good.

Both Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman deserve Oscars for The Master. Hell, Amy Adams deserves a Supporting Actress award, because she totally steals the few scenes she was in.

I think that talking about Best Actor is a moot point this year, though. Daniel Day Lewis is playing Abraham Lincoln. Game over, man.

dcmetal108
09-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Funny, because I almost went to see End of Watch instead. Maybe next weekend; I still really want to see it. Glad to hear it was good.

Both Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman deserve Oscars for The Master. Hell, Amy Adams deserves a Supporting Actress award, because she totally steals the few scenes she was in.

I think that talking about Best Actor is a moot point this year, though. .
Daniel Day Lewis is playing Abraham Lincoln. Game over, man

This. Hands down and the movie hasn't even come out.

Natrlhi
09-23-2012, 08:41 AM

I think that talking about Best Actor is a moot point this year, though. Daniel Day Lewis is playing Abraham Lincoln. Game over, man.re: paragraph 1...see that shit. Definitely see that shit.

re: paragraph 2...yeah, PSH and Amy Adams were both fanfuckingtastic in "Doubt" a few years back too, but were probably overshadowed a bit by the hype surrounding Streep's performance (which was also outstanding). They both deserve Oscar nods at some point for sure.

re: paragraph 3...Yeah, you're probably right. Daniel Day Lewis is the fucking man. :fist: You'll see what I mean about JG though.

mastodon421
09-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I really, really want to see End of Watch and the excellent feedback is only elevating my anticipation. I'll hopefully/probably double feature it with Looper or Taken 2 within the next 2 weeks.

Natrlhi
09-23-2012, 05:36 PM
This may not be the right thread for this, as I'm not sure if all of these are coming out this year, but my previous post about "End of Watch" reminded me of some kickass-looking previews I saw last night:

Argo - re-telling of the Iran hostage crisis of the 1970's starring (and directed by) Ben Affleck, with a host of other A-list cast members.

Alex Cross - a suspense thriller starring Tyler Perry as the hero and Matthew Fox from "Lost" as one badass-looking villain.

The Man with the Iron Fists - a pulpy-looking martial arts flick starring Russell Crowe, Lucy Liu, RZA and Pam Grier (among others), with awesome action and music galore. Written and directed by RZA with additional writing by Eli Roth. Sponsored by Quentin Tarantino. The tagline is "they put the F.U. in kung fu." That pretty much says it all. :D

powerslave_85
09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Argo looks awesome. Will definitely be seeing that one.

illuminatus917
09-23-2012, 06:08 PM
"Lost"

If you ever want some cool reading material, go here (http://forum.lostpedia.com/showthread.php/66284-Flash-Sideways-answers-in-Daniel-s-Journal) and here (http://forum.lostpedia.com/showthread.php/50825-I-can-explain-the-Sideways-Timeline).

On one page they try to explain the vertical (imaginary) and horizontal (real) timelines with Donkey Kong.

dcmetal108
09-23-2012, 06:53 PM
This may not be the right thread for this, as I'm not sure if all of these are coming out this year, but my previous post about "End of Watch" reminded me of some kickass-looking previews I saw last night:

Argo - re-telling of the Iran hostage crisis of the 1970's starring (and directed by) Ben Affleck, with a host of other A-list cast members.

Alex Cross - a suspense thriller starring Tyler Perry as the hero and Matthew Fox from "Lost" as one badass-looking villain.

The Man with the Iron Fists - a pulpy-looking martial arts flick starring Russell Crowe, Lucy Liu, RZA and Pam Grier (among others), with awesome action and music galore. Written and directed by RZA with additional writing by Eli Roth. Sponsored by Quentin Tarantino. The tagline is "they put the F.U. in kung fu." That pretty much says it all. :D

Argo and Man With The Iron Fists will both be great.

I just can't get sold on Alex Cross though. I'll still see it but it just hasn't struck anything with me yet.

Natrlhi
09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Argo and Man With The Iron Fists will both be great.

I just can't get sold on Alex Cross though. I'll still see it but it just hasn't struck anything with me yet.Now that I think of it, I might be inclined to agree with you here. I just watched the Alex Cross trailer again online, and this time around, it looks like it has potential to be really cheesy if not executed well. Plus, it's gonna be tough accepting Tyler Perry in this role when we've seen him 2,874,565 times dressed as an old lady.

EDIT: Matthew Fox still looks creepy as fuck though.

mastodon421
09-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Argo looks fantastic and I'll probably be seeing that opening weekend. The Man with the Iron Fists should be fun given the cast and RZA's obsession with old-school martial arts movies , Hopefully it's better than Ninja Assassin. Alex Cross looks like shit imo, Looks incredibly cheesy (in a bad way) and Tyler Perry's presence is never a good sign.

hellawaits77ny
09-24-2012, 03:40 AM
Argo looks fantastic and I'll probably be seeing that opening weekend. The Man with the Iron Fists should be fun given the cast and RZA's obsession with old-school martial arts movies , Hopefully it's better than Ninja Assassin. Alex Cross looks like shit imo, Looks incredibly cheesy (in a bad way) and Tyler Perry's presence is never a good sign.

Tyler Perry is a fucking joke. Can't stand that asshole.

dcmetal108
09-24-2012, 04:08 AM

Ninja Assassin was awesome. Just insane over the top action.

mastodon421
09-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Ninja Assassin was awesome. Just insane over the top action.

Eh I thought it was alright. I mean I don't tend to judge mindless action movies on their stories, but the story in Ninja Assassin was fucking awful beyond the point of overlooking. The action was good, but there was too little of it to overpower the horrible story.

Dextrimental
09-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Going to see Dredd Wednesday, and hopefully going to see Paranorman over the weekend!

Looper is my next big hit after that then.

kalfitegrdan
09-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Eh I thought it was alright. I mean I don't tend to judge mindless action movies on their stories, but the story in Ninja Assassin was fucking awful beyond the point of overlooking. The action was good, but there was too little of it to overpower the horrible story.

Every single bit of this. That story was horrendous.

Natrlhi
09-25-2012, 06:02 AM

Every single bit of this. That story was horrendous.Wait, what? It occurs to me that judging an action movie - in particular, a martial arts film - by its lack of plot or character development is somewhat like judging a porno by its lack of plot or character development. Just sayin'.

In other words, I think maybe some folks are missing the point. The classic kung fu movies of the 1970's had horrendous plots, no character development, and the dialog was barely understandable (plus, even when you could understand it, it didn't even make sense half the time), and they were still awesome. Why? Because the fighting, although highly choreographed, was impressive as hell while still being fairly realistic because the actors were actually doing it - they weren't suspended from wires.

At any rate, on topic: I saw "God Bless America" last night. I thought it was...interesting. Best movie ever? Fuck no. Best movie of the year? Hardly. Most novel concept for a movie ever? Not really. This type of "what would happen if we started purging all the assholes of the world?" thing has been done before in slightly different ways. The point here is, it was done by a middle-aged sad sack who thought he had nothing left to lose and a troubled teen girl who was smart way beyond her years. The social commentary was pretty interesting, anyway. Many of the things they made fun of in this movie are things that get under my skin as well, so I felt I could relate. Not bad for an innocent little socio-political comic satire disguised as a mindless carnage fest.

mastodon421
09-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Wait, what? It occurs to me that judging an action movie - in particular, a martial arts film - by its lack of plot or character development is somewhat like judging a porno by its lack of plot or character development. Just sayin'.

In other words, I think maybe some folks are missing the point. The classic kung fu movies of the 1970's had horrendous plots, no character development, and the dialog was barely understandable (plus, even when you could understand it, it didn't even make fucking sense half the time), and they were still awesome. Why? Because the fighting, although highly choreographed, was impressive as hell while still being fairly realistic because the actors were actually doing it - they weren't suspended from wires.

At any rate, on topic: I saw "God Bless America" last night. I thought it was...interesting. Best movie ever? Fuck no. Best movie of the year? Hardly. Most novel concept for a movie ever? Not really. This type of "what would happen if we started killing all the assholes of the world?" thing has been done before in slightly different ways. The point here is, it was done by a middle-aged sad sack who thought he had nothing left to lose and a troubled teen girl who was smart way beyond her years. The social commentary was pretty interesting, anyway. Many of the things they made fun of in this movie are things that get under my skin as well, so I felt I could relate. Not bad for an innocent little socio-political comic satire disguised as a mindless violence-fest.

Normally I agree 110%. I take every movie for what it is and never try to over-analyze anything (especially action movies). Ninja Assassin is one of the rare exceptions to the rule. There are movies like The Protector, which has a horrible plot, but the action is frequent and awesome, so the poor story doesn't matter at all. On the other hand, Ninja Assassin's plot took up way more time than it should of and a vast majority of the action (which is pretty good, but not great mind you) takes place in the first scene and at the very end.

dcmetal108
09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
If we are on the talk of amazing martial arts action movies with little to no plot then The Raid Redemption wins. Easily within my top 10 movies this year.

hellawaits77ny
09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
V/H/S was pretty creepy. Thought it would be a little more "fucked up", though.

kalfitegrdan
09-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Normally I agree 110%. I take every movie for what it is and never try to over-analyze anything (especially action movies). Ninja Assassin is one of the rare exceptions to the rule. There are movies like The Protector, which has a horrible plot, but the action is frequent and awesome, so the poor story doesn't matter at all. On the other hand, Ninja Assassin's plot took up way more time than it should of and a vast majority of the action (which is pretty good, but not great mind you) takes place in the first scene and at the very end.

Yeah, again, what he said.

BloodoftheKings
09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
I saw Dredd 3D tonight. It was just straight up fun. It's 90 minutes of pure, violent action with little to no story or character development. It's also one of the few movies these days that actually puts the 3D to good use. It doesn't have much re-watch value but I would still recommend it.

Dextrimental
09-26-2012, 04:44 AM
I saw Dredd 3D tonight. It was just straight up fun. It's 90 minutes of pure, violent action with little to no story or character development. It's also one of the few movies these days that actually puts the 3D to good use. It doesn't have much re-watch value but I would still recommend it.

Seeing it tonight. Judge Dredd was my comic book hero as a kid so hopefully this is at least in some way the movie I've been waiting for!

Natrlhi
09-28-2012, 11:21 AM
If we are on the talk of amazing martial arts action movies with little to no plot then The Raid Redemption wins. Easily within my top 10 movies this year.I've heard that was pretty tits.

In other news, I watched "The Hunger Games" last night. I was...pretty underwhelmed if I'm to be honest. I thought it was fairly predictable and somewhat boring. It wasn't awful, but I just wasn't impressed. I got the distinct impression that the books might be better than the film, but since I haven't read the books I would have no idea about that.

mastodon421
09-28-2012, 11:48 AM
The Raid: Redemption was fucking fantastic. One of the best pure action movies in recent memory imo. If you even have a slight interest in action/kung-fu movies, See it ASAP.

dcmetal108
09-28-2012, 02:50 PM
I've heard that was pretty tits.

In other news, I watched "The Hunger Games" last night. I was...pretty underwhelmed if I'm to be honest. I thought it was fairly predictable and somewhat boring. It wasn't awful, but I just wasn't impressed. I got the distinct impression that the books might be better than the film, but since I haven't read the books I would have no idea about that.

I went and saw Hunger Games in theaters since my brother is insane about that shit, I walked out thinking not only was it average but it dragged on for too long. Too many boring spots.

Natrlhi
09-28-2012, 07:07 PM
I went and saw Hunger Games in theaters since my brother is insane about that shit, I walked out thinking not only was it average but it dragged on for too long. Too many boring spots.Yeah, exactly. There wasn't enough emotion maintained to make me feel like anything awesome was about to happen, and in fact, it really never did. I mean, like I said, what with all the strangeness of this weird dystopian world that they were living in, I'm sure a nice descriptive book would be very compelling, but it just seemed that with the movie they weren't really even trying very much to hold my interest. Consequently, very few fucks were given by me.

That, and I could tell the whole time that this is just going to be another slightly more adult version of the Twilight saga, only with humans fighting humans instead of vampires fighting werewolves. I think I might pass on the remaining installment(s).

larvtard
10-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Looper was amazing. JGL <3 :lovedup:

kalfitegrdan
10-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Looper was amazing. JGL <3 :lovedup:

I NEED to see that.

Natrlhi
10-02-2012, 09:03 AM
...Cabin In The Woods is phenomenal, haven't enjoyed a film like that in a LOOOOOONG time. Top class entertainment! Will need to re-watch before I'm certain, but it could be my new favorite film. It's definitely top 3.

Oh my god, I fucking can't get over how much I loved this movie.

Seen Cabin In The Woods again tonight, I went with some friends who hadn't seen it, and it is still as as the first time, having a crisis of faith with it and my favorite film, Dawn of the Dead, the original.

Of the movies I've seen so far:

1. Cabin in the Woods
2. The Avengers
3. Chronicle
4. 21 Jump Street
5. Jeff, Who Lives at Home
6. The Grey
7. Safe House
8. This Means War
9. Underworld: Awakening
10. Haywire
11. A Thousand Words
12. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
13. Contraband (The worst by a very large margin)Guys. Seriously? I watched it with my wife last night, and she hated it. I didn't quite hate it - I appreciate what Whedon and company were trying to do here - but in the end I was rather unimpressed. For example, I couldn't have given a fuck less about the characters - and without that, it's hard to give a fuck about the plot or the movie itself, I think. You don't have to like them, but you have to want them to either survive or get shredded, right? I couldn't have cared less, though.

I mean, sure, it was a rather interesting twist and all that, and it was somewhat cool how they made it funny and creepy at the same time, but...I don't know. I just felt like it was all just a cheap attempt at manipulating me into being impressed because nothing like that had ever been done before...but my question is, "so what?"

I guess 91% of critics would disagree with me here, according to Rotten Tomatoes, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about, other than the fact that the movie took a tired old genre and shook it up a bit. Whedon gets points for that, in my book, but that doesn't make this a can't-live-without-it-in-my-DVD-catalog type of film. Speaking of which, it also occurs to me that this film has zero repeat viewing appeal, because once the cat is out of the bag, what's the point in watching it again?

To each his / her own, I guess. :shrug:

ShatteredFlame
10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Yea i was pretty disappointed with The Cabin In The Woods also. I loved the last 30 minutes when it basically became an R-rated version of Monsters Inc. but I just didn't think the rest of the movie was that entertaining.

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is a highly superior horror satire in my opinion. It honestly blows my mind how not many people know about that film. It should've gotten the recognition Scream got when it was released.

mastodon421
10-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I didn't quite enjoy Cabin in the Woods as much as some people on here, but I still thought it was pretty great. It was original, hilarious, and worked really well as a deconstruction of horror movies.

kalfitegrdan
10-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Guys. Seriously? I watched it with my wife last night, and she hated it. I didn't quite hate it - I appreciate what Whedon and company were trying to do here - but in the end I was rather unimpressed. For example, I couldn't have given a fuck less about the characters - and without that, it's hard to give a fuck about the plot or the movie itself, I think. You don't have to like them, but you have to want them to either survive or get shredded, right? I couldn't have cared less, though.

I mean, sure, it was a rather interesting twist and all that, and it was somewhat cool how they made it funny and creepy at the same time, but...I don't know. I just felt like it was all just a cheap attempt at manipulating me into being impressed because nothing like that had ever been done before...but my question is, "so what?"

I guess 91% of critics would disagree with me here, according to Rotten Tomatoes, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about, other than the fact that the movie took a tired old genre and shook it up a bit. Whedon gets points for that, in my book, but that doesn't make this a can't-live-without-it-in-my-DVD-catalog type of film. Speaking of which, it also occurs to me that this film has zero repeat viewing appeal, because once the cat is out of the bag, what's the point in watching it again?

To each his / her own, I guess. :shrug:

Dead Serious.

I cared about the characters in the movie for better or worse. I wanted the main chick to live because she's very hot. :D and the stoner to live because he's one of my favorite actors, although that obviously doesn't apply to everyone. Also, I wanted the black guy to die because he was basically just a cardboard cutout and wasn't interesting. Thor and blondie were somewhere in the middle likability wise for me.

I love the satire of traditional horror movies displayed throughout. I like when a movie can not take itself too seriously while still being firmly planted in its respective genre.

I saw the movie twice in theaters and was completely enthralled both times and considered going to see it third time, but couldn't find the time. To me at least, the movie is just entertaining all the way through. I can't think of a bad scene that was awkward or anything less than entertaining. Also, the main selling point to make it so great, in my opinion, was the ending, like the very end. Maybe I'm just a really nihilistic, misanthropic person (also probably why I held God Bless America in such high esteem), but I love, love, LOVE that ending and have wished for countless movies before it to end like that. It also helped that I hold a lot of the actors in high repute (Fran Kranz, Amy Acker, Richard Jenkins, Chris Hemsworth).

ShatteredFlame
10-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Horror fans be sure to watch Smiley (you know the movie that you see the trailer for when watching anything horror related on Youtube). It had some very stupid parts in the beginning, it mentions shit like 4chan, pedobears, wikileaks, internet trolls etc. but honestly by the middle and towards the end I thought it was a pretty entertaining film.

Natrlhi
10-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Also, the main selling point to make it so great, in my opinion, was the ending, like the very end. Maybe I'm just a really nihilistic, misanthropic person (also probably why I held God Bless America in such high esteem), but I love, love, LOVE that ending and have wished for countless movies before it to end like that. It also helped that I hold a lot of the actors in high repute (Fran Kranz, Amy Acker, Richard Jenkins, Chris Hemsworth).I did like the ending, and Richard Jenkins is the fucking man. :fist:

XDoomsayerX
10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Cabin in the Woods was good but just cuz it's different doesnt make it great. then again I aint a horror fan maybe I wouldve dug it more if I were.

Dextrimental
10-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Cabin in the Woods was good but just cuz it's different doesnt make it great. then again I aint a horror fan maybe I wouldve dug it more if I were.

It's a horror geek's sort of movie, I'll say that much alright.

Saw Looper recently, awesome. Going to see LAwles over the weekend and Paranorman next week!

masterguy49
10-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah, exactly. There wasn't enough emotion maintained to make me feel like anything awesome was about to happen, and in fact, it really never did. I mean, like I said, what with all the strangeness of this weird dystopian world that they were living in, I'm sure a nice descriptive book would be very compelling, but it just seemed that with the movie they weren't really even trying very much to hold my interest. Consequently, very few fucks were given by me.

That, and I could tell the whole time that this is just going to be another slightly more adult version of the Twilight saga, only with humans fighting humans instead of vampires fighting werewolves. I think I might pass on the remaining installment(s).
Sorry dude, the book is probably worse. I can't say so since I never read one in it's entirety, but I read the first few chapters and I couldn't do it, the description is so bland and the book is written like a 15 year old wrote it(which is the point, but still, god damn). She's just a bad writer IMO.

Also, as for Cabin in the Woods, it's basically a love letter to horror geeks. I for one, love Horror, so Cabin in the Woods was just beautiful to me.

In the past week I've seen Dredd and End of Watch, both were great. Dredd was just a badass action movie with great one-liners that I've been waiting to see in the theaters for awhile, loved it. End of Watch was great and really got me emotionally, which was a shock. Still need to see The Master and Looper!

Honestly though, Chronicle is still possibly my favorite movie of the year

dcmetal108
10-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I HATED Chronicle. Just my thoughts.

Went and saw Dredd 3D last night. Great use of 3D and overall just a really great campy action movie.

mastodon421
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
I saw End of Watch and Taken 2 this weekend. End of Watch was outstanding and is definitely one of the best movies of the year imo. The acting is fantastic (If I didn't know Jake Gylenhaal and Michael Pena were actors, I would've though they were real cops) and the relationship between Gylenhaal and Pena's character drives the movie. It also packs a surprising amount of emotional power which adds to the authenticity this movie gives off. Can't recommend this enough, Amazing movie.

Taken 2, on the other hand, fucking sucked. It takes everything that made the original great and just does away with it. The action scenes are horrible (You honestly can't even what it's happening 90% of the time. When you can hear the action, but not see it, you have a problem) and there are so many facepalm worthy moments that I lost track. It's not even rehash because a rehash would've at least still been enjoyable. One of the dumbest and just plain bad action movies I've ever seen. Dead serious it's only marginally better than Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

DethMaiden
10-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Let me get this straight. This thread's last ten pages aren't nothing but talk about "The Master." Maybe I should have stayed away after all.

Natrlhi
10-08-2012, 10:14 AM
The Master was outstanding. At the risk of sounding like a quote on a movie poster, Joaquin Phoenix's performance is mesmerizing.

Let me get this straight. This thread's last ten pages aren't nothing but talk about "The Master." Maybe I should have stayed away after all.The quote above yours is the only real "discussion" of The Master in this entire thread. What the fuck were you reading?

Anyway, yesterday I did end up seeing the movie that has apparently caused Brad some serious butthurt in some way. :finger:

I liked it. I agree that both Phoenix and Hoffman deserve praise for their performances - no doubt about that. I also thought Amy Adams was great, but of course her role was much smaller. The writing was very good as well, but the primary issue I had with the film was that I couldn't quite decide what it was that the filmmakers were trying to tell me here. The story was compelling for sure, because I was anxiously waiting the whole time for some sort of resolution, but in the end all I seemed to have gotten out of it was that Hoffman was frustrated by the fact that he had finally found someone that he couldn't control with his mind games - although, to be sure, he had definitely had an effect on Phoenix's behavior to some degree, as evidenced by his mid-coitus attempt to "process" the stranger he'd just met.

tl;dr: Excellent acting, but what the fuck just happened, and why am I supposed to care?

EDIT: Oh, and "Chronicle" was just as boring the first time when it was called "Cloverfield".

mastodon421
10-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Let me get this straight. This thread's last ten pages aren't nothing but talk about "The Master." Maybe I should have stayed away after all.

Nah no one else has seen it, You were the only snob around these parts;)

DethMaiden
10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
The quote above yours is the only real "discussion" of The Master in this entire thread. What the fuck were you reading?

Anyway, yesterday I did end up seeing the movie that has apparently caused Brad some serious butthurt in some way. :finger:

I liked it. I agree that both Phoenix and Hoffman deserve praise for their performances - no doubt about that. I also thought Amy Adams was great, but of course her role was much smaller. The writing was very good as well, but the primary issue I had with the film was that I couldn't quite decide what it was that the filmmakers were trying to tell me here. The story was compelling for sure, because I was anxiously waiting the whole time for some sort of resolution, but in the end all I seemed to have gotten out of it was that Hoffman was frustrated by the fact that he had finally found someone that he couldn't control with his mind games - although, to be sure, he had definitely had an effect on Phoenix's behavior to some degree, as evidenced by his mid-coitus attempt to "process" the stranger he'd just met.

tl;dr: Excellent acting, but what the fuck just happened, and why am I supposed to care?

I used a confusing double negative. What I meant was, WHERE IS ALL THE TALK ABOUT THE MASTER THAT SHOULD CLEARLY BE HERE.

Anyway, movie of the year, no question about it, come at me bros.

mastodon421
10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Woah, woah, woah Nat did you seriously just compare Chronicle to Cloverfield? The only similarity is the style they were shot in.

Natrlhi
10-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Woah, woah, woah Nat did you seriously just compare Chronicle to Cloverfield? The only similarity is the style they were shot in....which is essentially the primary thing that's supposed to make either of the movies interesting, so...yes.

...and apologies to Brad - I know what double negatives are, I just didn't notice that you'd done it. Maybe dial down the fancy word play a little for those of us who don't speak "pretentious blogster" on a daily basis. :finger:

mastodon421
10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
So does that make Paranormal Activity and the slew of other found-footage movies the same as Chronicle too? I'm not saying that your opinion of the movie is wrong (I happen to disagree, I thought it was great), but just because they are shot the same way does not mean they are the same movie. I also disagree that's the lone reason Chronicle had an appeal to audiences. The appeal to me least was the way it approached the superhero concept. It put an original spin on the traditional superhero concept and I felt like it developed the characters nicely and I really like the drastic tonal shift it had in the second half. Judging on the reviews and overall audience reception, I would say I'm far from being alone on that one. Agree, disagree, That's just my 2 cents.

Natrlhi
10-08-2012, 11:11 AM
The PA movies, which I liked even less than Chronicle or Cloverfield, were different because they were trying to use the same filming style to touch on a slightly different nerve - that being the scare impulse.

I just thought Cloverfield and Chronicle were basically trying to stimulate the exact same nerve endings in my brain, only Chronicle did so via a superhero vehicle instead of a giant alien. Just to be clear here, I liked Cloverfield and Chronicle to a very limited degree, but neither of them were worthy of the immense praise that I've seen some people (mainly teenage fanboys) lavish on them, and if you want my opinion, I think Chronicle was more or less a "me too" re-telling of the Cloverfield story, but through a slightly different lens.

Also for the record, I did enjoy how they treated the superhero thing in Chronicle differently from many other superhero movies, but c'mon - it's not like it was unique. Ever seen "Unbreakable"? Ever watched "Heroes"?

Plus, the so-called "tonal shift" in the movie was, to me, little more than an attempt at finishing strong with the teenage crowd through some good old-fashioned action to make up for the fact that they dropped the ball on character development. I was interested in the characters for a while, but when it became an all-out slugfest at the end I was somewhat disappointed. The filmmakers could have done better than that, which to me comes off as being a bit lazy.

But, glad you liked it. To each his own. :hippie:

mastodon421
10-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Fair enough.I have seen Unbreakable and it's a decent movie. I tried to watch Heroes, but I couldn't get into for the life of me. I do agree with you on the quality of Cloverfield though. It's not awful, but it was way overhyped and I ended up being really disappointed with it (especially since J.J Abrams was involved with it).

dcmetal108
10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Taken 2.

good but not great. The daughter becoming good at doing all these action things randomly killed it for me.

I just wanted to see Liam Neeson kill people with his hands.

illuminatus917
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan_%282013_film%29

Tarzan will be played by one of the vampires from Twilight.

EDIT: I just read the part about it being animated. :lol:

*sigh of relief*

ShatteredFlame
10-15-2012, 06:48 AM
Sinister was pretty damn good for a mainstream horror film. I think it actually deserves the hype, unlike Insidious and Paranormal Activity. Creepy atmosphere throughout, the found footage killings could be quite disturbing too many, Ethan Hawke was great at handling both serious and comedic tones, the cop was also good and the scenes involving him and Hawke are pretty entertaining, the story was good and well panned out, the ending didn't suck, not a lot of unnecessary jump scares, when the movie had a somewhat comedic tone it didn't feel forced, mention of Norwegian Black Metal etc.

Not the best movie I have seen all year but overall, I approve.

I wanna see Seven Psychopaths, really looks like something up my alley.

Dextrimental
10-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Sinister was pretty damn good for a mainstream horror film. I think it actually deserves the hype, unlike Insidious and Paranormal Activity. Creepy atmosphere throughout, the found footage killings could be quite disturbing too many, Ethan Hawke was great at handling both serious and comedic tones, the cop was also good and the scenes involving him and Hawke are pretty entertaining, the story was good and well panned out, the ending didn't suck, not a lot of unnecessary jump scares, when the movie had a somewhat comedic tone it didn't feel forced, mention of Norwegian Black Metal etc.

Not the best movie I have seen all year but overall, I approve.

I wanna see Seven Psychopaths, really looks like something up my alley.

Agreed on all counts, very solid in my opinion. That said, it's not strictly a horror film, and I think it would have greatly benefited from a less horror-orientated marketing campaign. Overall though, it was very solid, and I think as a stand alone title it works, but there's a bit of wiggle room for a franchise, perhaps with the cop character in the sequel.

Looper is my second favorite film of the year, absolutely awesome.

BloodoftheKings
10-15-2012, 09:26 AM

I think i'll check this movie out. I didn't like Insidious at all so I wasn't going to bother with this one.

dcmetal108
10-15-2012, 02:40 PM
I just watched Rock Of Ages and I really liked it. I mean I REALLY liked it and I normally FUCKING HATE musicals. Something is wrong with me.

illuminatus917
10-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is playing Abraham Lincoln. Game over, man.

His acting will be great. The movie probably won't be.

Dextrimental
10-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Paranormal Activity 4 sucks crazy amounts of dick. Terrible film.

ravenheart
11-03-2012, 02:26 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjI1NTQ4MjkwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE4NTQ2OA@@.. jpg

:eyes:

masterguy49
11-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't know if I mentioned Argo being fucking awesome, Ben Affleck is a great director.
Also Wreck-It Ralph and Skyfall were seriously awesome. Skyfall is probably better than The Dark Knight Rises for me.

dcmetal108
11-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Skyfall was awesome but not close to Dark Knight Rises IMO.

So while working on my site I watched a shitty version of Breaking Dawn Part 2 with my brother and it sucked. Prolly give it a 4/10 and its sadly the best one of the series.

BloodoftheKings
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm thinking of seeing a few movies this week if I can get anyone to go with me. I want to see Lincoln, Wreck It Ralph, and Skyfall and then I need to get around to seeing A Cabin in the Woods and The Raid. Once I've seen all those I think i'll be able to finalize a top 10.

Dextrimental
11-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Argo ruled hard. Need to check out Killing Them Softly, Paranorman and Atlas Cloud next.

I might see Skyfall, I'm not a huge Bond fan.

dcmetal108
11-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Killing Them Softly looks awesome and I want to see Lincoln but I don't think I want to see it badly enough to see it in theaters.

ShatteredFlame
11-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I saw Life of Pi tonight. It's probably the first movie I have seen where I have read the book beforehand :eyes:. Since I read the book, it felt pretty pointless watching the movie. My family, who hasn't read the book loved it though.

XDoomsayerX
11-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Most recent flicks I saw were Moonrise Kingdom(my movie of the year so far) and Safety Not Guaranteed. Both were great. Had Safety had a different ending I'd prob put it on par with Moonrise Kingdom. Still need to see a bunch of movies! lol

BloodoftheKings
11-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Most recent flicks I saw were Moonrise Kingdom(my movie of the year so far) and Safety Not Guaranteed. Both were great. Had Safety had a different ending I'd prob put it on par with Moonrise Kingdom. Still need to see a bunch of movies! lol

Moonrise Kingdom is my movie of the year by far.

dcmetal108
11-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Saw Looper last night. That movie is so god damn great.

mastodon421
11-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I saw Skyfall earlier this week and it was pretty great. The action scenes are top-notch and Javier Bardem is the first legitimate villain to be in any recent Bond movie. Easily the best Daniel Craig Bond movie. I'm going to try and see Silver Linings Playbook and Red Dawn next week. December has a lot of intriguing stuff as well, I'm curious to see what will end up in my top 10 for this great year for film.

dcmetal108
11-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I saw Skyfall earlier this week and it was pretty great. The action scenes are top-notch and Javier Bardem is the first legitimate villain to be in any recent Bond movie. Easily the best Daniel Craig Bond movie. I'm going to try and see Silver Linings Playbook and Red Dawn next week. December has a lot of intriguing stuff as well, I'm curious to see what will end up in my top 10 for this great year for film.

Sky Fall was awsome and Silver Linings Playbook looks like it will be great. Also going to see Red Dawn tomorrow I think.

kalfitegrdan
11-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm really behind on movies this year. I only feel strongly about five of my movies in my top ten. Also only been to the theater five times this year, which is, admittedly, more than most. Although I did see the same movie (Cabin in the Woods) twice in theaters. I wish the cheap movie theater in my town would open again. I saw way more movies when they were only four dollars a pop.

Also, can't wait for Django Unchained to come out.

dcmetal108
11-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm really behind on movies this year. I only feel strongly about five of my movies in my top ten. Also only been to the theater five times this year, which is, admittedly, more than most. Although I did see the same movie (Cabin in the Woods) twice in theaters. I wish the cheap movie theater in my town would open again. I saw way more movies when they were only four dollars a pop.

Drive down to the Super Saver Theater in Joliet. Only $2

kalfitegrdan
11-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Drive down to the Super Saver Theater in Joliet. Only $2

Yeah, but that'd be like $30 bucks in gas. :lol:
I did go visit my friend in Elmhurst the other week and we went and saw The Expendables 2 at this one theater for $1.75 (about all that movie is worth). I'm thinking 'bout going out there sometime before the year is over and just seeing like 4 or 5 movies in a row.

dcmetal108
11-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Red Dawn was surprisingly very enjoyable.

mastodon421
11-26-2012, 12:14 PM

I have seen 54 movies this year between the theater and DVD. As I've mentioned before on here, I have the luxury of having two of my best friends work at the movie theater closest to me so I'm able to get in for free most of the time (The only movies I've paid to see in theaters this year have been Contraband, American Reunion, The Avengers, The Dictator, Men In Black III, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Watch.) Being the movie nerd that I am, I always saw a lot of movies, Now I see more in theaters opposed to DVD because I can get in for free more often than not.

I also can't wait for Django Unchained. If it's as good as I think it's going to be, It should take the crown of being my favorite movie of 2012. I'm also looking forward to Jack Reacher, This is 40, Zero Dark Thirty (Although it's not opening wide until January) and The Hobbit in December.

mastodon421
11-26-2012, 12:17 PM
My top 10 looks like this at the moment:
1.The Dark Knight Rises
2.21 Jump Street
3.The Expendables 2
4.The Avengers
5.Ted
6.End of Watch
7.The Raid: Redemption
8.American Reunion
9.The Dictator
10.Looper

Just outside: Chronicle, Safe House, Lawless, Cabin in the Woods, Argo

dcmetal108
11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
My top 10 looks like this at the moment:
1.The Dark Knight Rises
2.21 Jump Street
3.The Expendables 2
4.The Avengers
5.Ted
6.End of Watch
7.The Raid: Redemption
8.American Reunion
9.The Dictator
10.Looper

Just outside: Chronicle, Safe House, Lawless, Cabin in the Woods, Argo

Take out Ted and The Dictator and add Cabin In The Woods and that's a great list.

Now I really liked Ted and Dicatator they just are both movies that I don't have a strong urge to rewatch.

kalfitegrdan
11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
I have seen 54 movies this year between the theater and DVD. As I've mentioned before on here, I have the luxury of having two of my best friends work at the movie theater closest to me so I'm able to get in for free most of the time (The only movies I've paid to see in theaters this year have been Contraband, American Reunion, The Avengers, The Dictator, Men In Black III, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Watch.) Being the movie nerd that I am, I always saw a lot of movies, Now I see more in theaters opposed to DVD because I can get in for free more often than not.

Lucky! I'm a pretty big movie nerd too. I just don't have the money to see most new movies. I miss having a Blockbuster movie pass. I used to watch like 100 new movies a year.

Oh yeah, I forgot about The Hobbit, which is weird because that's been my most anticipated movie all year. :lol:

kalfitegrdan
11-26-2012, 01:29 PM
My top ten so far even though I only feel strongly about the first five:

1. Cabin in the Woods
2. The Avengers
3. Chronicle
4. The Raid: Redemption
5. Project X
6. 21 Jump Street
7. Safe
8. Jeff, Who Lives at Home
9. Lockout
10. The Dictator

Only saw twenty six new movies this year so far.

dcmetal108
11-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Between theater and dvds its safe to say i've seen 200 + new movies this year.

Been to the theater at least 50 + times this year so far.

Natrlhi
11-27-2012, 08:04 AM
I liked The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, End of Watch and The Master quite a bit. 21 Jump Street, MIB3 and American Reunion were both surprisingly good, but not great. Jeff, Who Lives at Home and The Amazing Spider-Man weren't too bad. Chronicle and Cabin in the Woods were just OK.

Nothing else comes to mind at the moment. I haven't seen many movies this year. Twins and all. Go figure.

John The Drummer
11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Ive seen like ... 2 or 3 new movies... MAYBE EVEN 4!!!! :eyes:

Sinister_Chalupa666
11-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Still need to see Lawless, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and some others. So far right now it's:

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Avengers
3. Skyfall
4. Wreck-it Ralph
5. Looper
6. Argo
7. The Amazing Spider-Man
8. The Raid: Redemption
9. 21 Jump Street
10. Cabin in the Woods

Honorable mentions:

Dredd
Men In Black 3
Prometheus
Expendables 2
Brave
The Woman in Black
Haywire
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
The Dictator
The Grey
The Possession
Contraband
Goon
Project X
End of Watch

Will probably look different once Djano Unchained, Jack Reacher, and The Hobbit come out.

XDoomsayerX
11-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Project X a good movie? Y'all crack me up. :lol:

kalfitegrdan
11-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Project X a good movie? Y'all crack me up. :lol:

That movie was awesome.

And there was nothing honorable about Haywire or Contraband.

mastodon421
11-29-2012, 03:41 AM
That movie was awesome.

And there was nothing honorable about Haywire or Contraband.

Project X was definitely a fun movie, I just bought it on Black Friday. I'm with you on Haywire too, Incredibly boring and stupid. One of the worst movies I've seen all year without a doubt. Contraband, on the other hand, I liked quite a bit. I thought it was a very good crime drama (I know you said you hated because of Mark Wahlberg, but I thought he was fine in it).

kalfitegrdan
11-29-2012, 05:52 AM
Project X was definitely a fun movie, I just bought it on Black Friday. I'm with you on Haywire too, Incredibly boring and stupid. One of the worst movies I've seen all year without a doubt. Contraband, on the other hand, I liked quite a bit. I thought it was a very good crime drama (I know you said you hated because of Mark Wahlberg, but I thought he was fine in it).

My number one complaint with Haywire was the atrociously shitty acting by the main chick. The scenes with Channing Tatum were like the only interesting ones in the movies.

I kept hearing that SNL sketch (Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals) throughout all of Contraband. Also, the plot just didn't interest me as much as it should have.

mastodon421
11-29-2012, 06:23 AM
My number one complaint with Haywire was the atrociously shitty acting by the main chick. The scenes with Channing Tatum were like the only interesting ones in the movies.

I kept hearing that SNL sketch (Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals) throughout all of Contraband. Also, the plot just didn't interest me as much as it should have.

Gina Carano was fucking awful in that movie. She should probably just stick to MMA in the future. Unfournately, She is in the new Fast and Furious movie so her acting career isn't over yet:bouville:.

XDoomsayerX
11-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Project X was bad, just not funny. Cool idea, not good execution. To each their own though.

dcmetal108
12-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Just saw End Of Watch.

Not only amazing but also was tugging on my emotions a little.

Dextrimental
12-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Seven Psychopaths is awesome. Going to see The Hobbit next Wednesday, then watch a few films I missed this year, like Killing Them Softly and Men In Black 3.

XDoomsayerX
12-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Just saw End Of Watch.

Not only amazing but also was tugging on my emotions a little.

Still need to finish it, theater blacked out like half way lol

Natrlhi
12-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Just saw End Of Watch.

Not only amazing but also was tugging on my emotions a little.Excellent film.

Speaking of which, my wife and I just got back from seeing Flight. Yet another fine performance by Denzel Washington - no surprise there - and John Goodman was a hoot as his drug dealer. Touching story based on true events. Great stuff.

mastodon421
12-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Excellent film.

Speaking of which, my wife and I just got back from seeing Flight. Yet another fine performance by Denzel Washington - no surprise there - and John Goodman was a hoot as his drug dealer. Touching story based on true events. Great stuff.

Flight wasn't based on a true story. The plane crash was very loosely based on a crash in Alaska in 2000, but that crash had no survivors unlike in Flight where most of the people on board survived. Regardless I agree it's a great movie and Denzel Washington was unsurprisingly outstanding as always.

XDoomsayerX
12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Django was the tits, dragged a bit but good stuff! :D

kalfitegrdan
12-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Django was the tits, dragged a bit but good stuff! :D

Yeah, this. I think it might edge out The Avengers for second best movie I've seen this year. Christoph Waltz deserves an award for his phenomenal performance.

OraclesofAgony
12-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Django Unchained is one of those movies you want to see in the theater for the second time. But then again I'm a Tarantino fanboy. ;)

OraclesofAgony
12-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah, this. I think it might edge out The Avengers for second best movie I've seen this year. Christoph Waltz deserves an award for his phenomenal performance.

Cristoph Waltz was amazing once again just like he was in Inglorious Basterds.

mastodon421
12-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Django was a god damn masterpiece. Without a doubt my favorite movie of the year and honestly my favorite movie to come out since The Departed.

BloodoftheKings
12-27-2012, 08:07 PM
I just saw Django Unchained. I loved every second of it. It's close with Moonrise Kingdom for my favorite movie of the year.

christopher
12-27-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm watching Resident Evil Retribution and its not that good so far.

John The Drummer
12-28-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm watching Resident Evil Retribution and its not that good so far.
:(
i still want to get it, i love me some RE

hb420
12-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Saw Jack Reacher last night, pretty good action flick.

hb420
01-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Saw Hitchcock last night, Anthony Hopkins was fantastic as usual. Helen Mirren was superb as well, top notch biographical Pic.

BloodoftheKings
01-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I saw Zero Dark Thirty last night. It was pretty good but I don't think it's best picture material.

hellawaits77ny
03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Rented Sinister the other night. I thought it was pretty damn good. Man, those snuff films were friggin creepy!