PDA

View Full Version : VH1 Metal Evolution

JRA
01-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Has anybody been watching this? Thoughts? I haven't been able to see much since I don't have Vh1 Classic and Vh1 won't fucking put it up for free on their website unlike That Metal Show.

I've only seen two episodes, the NWOBHM and Thrash. NWOBHM was interesting since we got the weigh in for how NWOBHM was affected by glam, and to Steve vehemently and repeatedly state that punk didn't affect shit on metal.

The Thrash episode is ok. As I expected it wasn't going to outdo the Get Thrashed DVD, though it makes me want to slap the shit out of Lars Ulrich for his bullshit strawman arguments about "selling out to your fans."

First of all, what the fuck is wrong with catering to what your fans want musically? When did this become a crime that all the Peter Frickes of the world turn their noses up at? Fans are people who only want enjoyment and satisfaction from your music, as opposed to record executives who just want to steal your money? Second of all, the reasons thrashers hate ballads is because it was a Motley Crue move. You know, that band that you and your crony Scott Ian were saying you were so much better than?

And all this whining on how thrash is limiting? THEN BREAK UP YOUR FUCKING BAND. You wanna experiment with new sounds outside of your extreme genre? Then go somewhere else and start up a completely different band with a completely new sound. But you'll use the excuse of "I don't want to limit the boundaries of what artist x" can do, but what you really don't want to do is stop the money train because you can make more money just releasing another album with shit that does not belong in your sound rather than starting a separate project.

I don't care one iota about SOD, but at least Scott Ian had enough integrity to realize he should start a separate band (even though I'd rather Anthrax put out a song like Fuck The Middle East instead of Safe Home)

rant over.

One final thing on the show, I really don't like how Sam is mugging the camera again. I thought he learned his lesson from that on the Iron Maiden and Rush docs but I guess not. Anyways, your thoughts on the show?

slapguitarer
01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I like it. The only thing I don't like about Sam is his genre classifications. Also, I found a list of the episodes that will air and am disappointed.

Nov 11: Pre Metal
Nov 19: Early Metal US
Dec 3: Early Metal UK
Dec 10: New Wave Of British Heavy Metal
Dec 17: Glam
Dec 31: Thrash
Jan 7: Grunge
Jan 14: Nu Metal
Jan 21: Shock Rock
Jan 28: Power Metal
Feb 4: Progressive Metal

I was disappointed that there was no Death Metal or Black Metal. Stuff like Grunge, Nu-Metal, and Shock Rock are things I don't believe fit.

JRA
01-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I like it. The only thing I don't like about Sam is his genre classifications. Also, I found a list of the episodes that will air and am disappointed.

Nov 11: Pre Metal
Nov 19: Early Metal US
Dec 3: Early Metal UK
Dec 10: New Wave Of British Heavy Metal
Dec 17: Glam
Dec 31: Thrash
Jan 7: Grunge
Jan 14: Nu Metal
Jan 21: Shock Rock
Jan 28: Power Metal
Feb 4: Progressive Metal

I was disappointed that there was no Death Metal or Black Metal. Stuff like Grunge, Nu-Metal, and Shock Rock are things I don't believe fit.

WHAT?!?! I figured that shit would be a lock. I'm actually impressed he's giving a special to power metal, but he's not even touching two cornerstones of metal so he can cater to the trappings of nu-metal? Fuck you Sam, I just lost all my respect for you.

BloodoftheKings
01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I only saw the first episode and I though it was pretty great. I gotta catch up. Definitely gotta see the shock rock episode. That should be the best one.

slapguitarer
01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
WHAT?!?! I figured that shit would be a lock. I'm actually impressed he's giving a special to power metal, but he's not even touching two cornerstones of metal so he can cater to the trappings of nu-metal? Fuck you Sam, I just lost all my respect for you.

I don't think it's all his fault. I think VH1 plays a role in that, but it's still disappointing.

Maiden33
01-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Honestly the Power Metal episode will probably be an hour talking about how bands like Iron Maiden, Accept, Rainbow, The Scorpions, Dio, and Yngwie Malmsteen are Power Metal - while getting no further into the real genre than Helloween, Hammerfall, and Blind Guardian.

NickLed19
01-02-2012, 09:21 PM
VH1 Classic just does not want to have an hour for Black/Death metal. VH1 Classic is trash.

BloodoftheKings
01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
It's lame that there won't be any Death or Black metal episodes but VH1 Classic s the only channel on tv that shows anything metal related so I won't trash them.

ravenheart
01-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Metal documentaries suck.

hellawaits77ny
01-02-2012, 11:18 PM

Yeah Man, that's some straight BS. As I've gotten older, death metal has without a doubt become my favorite sub genre.

makethemsuffer12
01-03-2012, 06:15 AM
The amount of butthurt in this tiny thread is making my butt hurt.

Natrlhi
01-03-2012, 06:20 AM
The amount of butthurt in this tiny thread is making my butt hurt.:party:

DethMaiden
01-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Haven't seen the show, imagine it's stupid and reductive, but won't comment for sure without seeing an episode. However...

First of all, what the fuck is wrong with catering to what your fans want musically?

Everything. It defies the nature of art. If everyone did what was expected of them, there would never be any innovation. It's true that the only intrinsic value of a record lies in how it's received, and cultural studies as a discipline has been pretty consistent in saying it's up to the consumer to decide what they take away from a work, but they don't know what to ask for because the stuff that's consistently engaging is the stuff we haven't heard. I'm sure when Black Sabbath was called Earth and playing the blues circuit in Birmingham, their fans (a small number, but for argument's sake, let's say they were all passionately in agreement on this) probably wanted to hear more blues albums, because they were good at the blues. Then they recorded Black Sabbath. Then they recorded Paranoid. They lost their blues-loving locals by Master of Reality, I'm sure. But that doesn't matter. What matters is they got an entirely new fanbase by conjuring up sonic demons and down-tuning. Eventually, they recorded the Dio and Tony Martin albums and the same thing happened. Lose some doom nuts, pick up a whole new group of people who like what they had moved on to. Is this a perfect analogy for, say, Metallica? I suppose not, since what they did was unarguably to become more mainstream, but there's people who loved "Enter Sandman" who would have hated "Metal Militia," and that's okay. We don't have to be those people, but Metallica is allowed to make them exist. A band owes you nothing. If anything, they owe you the freedom to do their own shit, ad infinitum, to help move music as an idea forward. In any given year, most of the albums I truly love are the ones that surprise me the most, the ones that defy my expectations even (or especially) when they come from artists who I'd expect something different from. Write the album you want to write. Not the one you're pressured to by some people who have trouble envisioning anything better than what you've already done. Fuck them.

JRA
01-03-2012, 07:04 AM
- while getting no further into the real genre than Helloween, Hammerfall, and Blind Guardian.

I wouldn't be so sure, all three of those bands are in his classification of power metal. I think we'll be seeing a couple of interviews with Hansi and Michael.

Metal documentaries suck.

Someone never watched Get Thrashed.

Everything. It defies the nature of art. If everyone did what was expected of them, there would never be any innovation. It's true that the only intrinsic value of a record lies in how it's received, and cultural studies as a discipline has been pretty consistent in saying it's up to the consumer to decide what they take away from a work, but they don't know what to ask for because the stuff that's consistently engaging is the stuff we haven't heard. I'm sure when Black Sabbath was called Earth and playing the blues circuit in Birmingham, their fans (a small number, but for argument's sake, let's say they were all passionately in agreement on this) probably wanted to hear more blues albums, because they were good at the blues. Then they recorded Black Sabbath. Then they recorded Paranoid. They lost their blues-loving locals by Master of Reality, I'm sure. But that doesn't matter. What matters is they got an entirely new fanbase by conjuring up sonic demons and down-tuning. Eventually, they recorded the Dio and Tony Martin albums and the same thing happened. Lose some doom nuts, pick up a whole new group of people who like what they had moved on to. Is this a perfect analogy for, say, Metallica? I suppose not, since what they did was unarguably to become more mainstream, but there's people who loved "Enter Sandman" who would have hated "Metal Militia," and that's okay. We don't have to be those people, but Metallica is allowed to make them exist. A band owes you nothing. If anything, they owe you the freedom to do their own shit, ad infinitum, to help move music as an idea forward. In any given year, most of the albums I truly love are the ones that surprise me the most, the ones that defy my expectations – even (or especially) when they come from artists who I'd expect something different from. Write the album you want to write. Not the one you're pressured to by some people who have trouble envisioning anything better than what you've already done. Fuck them.

The "nature of art" is the biggest strawman argument corporate assholes use to justify a band becoming pussified. Tony Iommi has said the bands response on the blues front was lukewarm at best and it wasn't until they played the song "Black Sabbath" that they not only starting getting fans, but passionate fans. Passionate fans matter more than anybody.

And if a band spends the first 5 years or so of their career shit talking other bands, saying that they're music is cheap poser crap, they absolutely owe everything to their fans. Those were probably good bands they were slamming, and quite a few of their fans were fans of those other bands but turned their backs on them in order to fit in to this new thing. Like when all those hardcore punk bands were talking their shit about the status quo like Fleetwood Mac, most of their fans probably liked all those bands but wanted to fit in, then they start changing direction and sounding more and more like the status quo. Fuck you, if you're holding your dick and saying you are more extreme or whatever, you have no business going in any direction then what your bands perceive you to be. Interviews are just as much a part of the package as much as the music. Let your music do the talking and shut up.

and yes, fans who love Enter Sandman but hated Metal Militia have no business liking the band. That's probably the strongest reason for the frivolous idea of "bands wanting to have a mass audience and make more money being sellouts" exists. Jocks and alphas who probably heard Metal Militia or old Metallica and beat the metal kids up because they were different are now saying "I guess your band is pretty cool now, fag" and going to shows to beat more people up in the moshpit. The masses are by definition a bunch of mouthbreathing bullies, and while I of course I endorse new avenues of exposure in order for fans who might be into that music but not be aware of it to see it, once the people who beat you up or mock you for liking a band start attending the shows, all bets are off.

elturtleboy
01-03-2012, 09:22 AM
I really thought he'd have Black/ Death on this season. Hopefully there's a 2nd season which includes Grindcore, Punk, Hardcore, and Crossover. I ain't watching Glam or prog.

ravenheart
01-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Someone never watched Get Thrashed.

I have it on DVD. It blows.

adamclark52
01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
As much as I hate Nu-metal now it was an important part of metals history and deserves an episode. Metal was heavily underground in the mid-90's and nu-metal was a big part of bringing it back to the mainstream. Yes, mainstream bad, but I'm sure it helped all metal artists in terms of touring and sales and just getting the word out. I doubt there are many people here who didn't start their metal journeys with nu-metal or at least enjoy it when it first started. I still love the first two Korn albums, the first Static-X album and the first four Deftones albums(if they are nu-metal).

JRA
01-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I doubt there are many people here who didn't start their metal journeys with nu-metal or at least enjoy it when it first started. I still love the first two Korn albums, the first Static-X album and the first four Deftones albums(if they are nu-metal).

Not me. In the interest of full disclosure I did dabble with Godsmack for a bit. but a) they weren't nu-metal, b) I am 100% sure I would have continued the path I was on regardless of whether or not I liked them.

dcmetal108
01-03-2012, 12:18 PM
I am going to go get the first 5 episodes and watch them just to see how they how.

MPF
01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't have VH1 Classic so I can't comment or complain, but if it at all comes out on DVD I'll buy it. Sam knows what he is doing, but VH1 does have the control in the end. You can't be too pissed. This is as good as it can get, especially coming from VH1.

street_burial
01-03-2012, 03:36 PM
tl;dr

powerslave_85
01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I really thought he'd have Black/ Death on this season. Hopefully there's a 2nd season which includes Grindcore, Punk, Hardcore, and Crossover. I ain't watching Glam or prog.
Why would they include punk in a metal documentary?

slapguitarer
01-03-2012, 05:03 PM

The same reason they're including Grunge.

JRA
01-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Especially since quite a few metal people wrote it off as shite in the doc.

That said, I'd rather see an episode on Punk's influence on metal than on fucking rap metal.

powerslave_85
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
The same reason they're including Grunge.
Because the people who came up with this are morons?

elturtleboy
01-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Because I assume he's gonna do the charts he had listed. Punk and Hardcore were one of them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I've been watching it and I dig it. I'd rather watch a metal doc any day over what passes for TV these days.

powerslave_85
01-04-2012, 03:04 AM
I mean, punk deserves to be mentioned because of the influence it had on certain metal sub-genres, but there's no reason to stick in an episode about The Clash and the Dead Kennedys in the middle of a history of metal.

Same goes for grunge. A couple bands (Alice In Chains, Soundgarden) had metal roots/influences, but most didn't, other than the fact that they pumped the last bullet in the corpse of hair metal.

JRA
01-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Without punk there would be no crossover. Crossover would be a good way to spend an episode, even if the conclusion of it leads to "and today you have bands like Hatebreed flying the flag."

BloodoftheKings
01-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Same goes for grunge. A couple bands (Alice In Chains, Soundgarden) had metal roots/influences, but most didn't, other than the fact that they pumped the last bullet in the corpse of hair metal.

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are metal and 2 of Kurt Cobain's biggest influences were Black Sabbath and The Melvins. I think Grunge is kind of deserving of a place in this doc but not more then Death and Black.

adamclark52
01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
That chart a few posts up; Today is the Day as stoner metal? I don't see it. Sure he's probably fucked up when he makes music but if being a pothead makes you a stoner rock band that means pretty much every band out there are a stoner rock band. I can't really say where I'd classify Today is the Day in that chart. They've dabbled in grindcore and classic heavy metal, but they're just Today is the Day.

On the topic of a black metal or death metal episode; don't count on it. Mainstream america WILL NOT watch a show with bands they've never heard of or have no intrest in. Most people have at least heard of Iron Maiden, Nirvana and Limp Bizkit, the latter two being why there's grunge and nu-metal episodes. If anything there could be an "extreme" metal episode that covers death, black, grind and whatever else but even that would be a stretch for VH1 because they no that virtually no one will be watching.

JRA
01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
This shouldn't be something that caters to casual fans though. This should be something that caters to hardcore metal fans cries of never having a great metal program on Vh1.

Natrlhi
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Ummm...Cradle of Shit are from Great Britain, not Norway. :rolleyes:

adamclark52
01-04-2012, 11:37 PM
This shouldn't be something that caters to casual fans though. This should be something that caters to hardcore metal fans cries of never having a great metal program on Vh1.

It's all about ratings, and while you and me may love to watch an hour about the history of Carcass 99% of the people watching VH1 will change the channel.

JRA
01-05-2012, 06:38 AM
It's all about ratings, and while you and me may love to watch an hour about the history of Carcass 99% of the people watching VH1 will change the channel.

Yea, because Power Metal, Progressive Metal and NWOBHM will totally bring the ratings.

Jasonic
01-05-2012, 06:57 AM
The thrash episode was an abomination.
Sure, it is airing on VH1 which means the focus was going to be on the big 4.
How can you ignore Sodom, Kreator, and Destruction?

Also, since this is about how metal evolved, he is 100% incorrect in making claims that thrash evolved into the New Wave of American Heavy Metal (IE - Lamb of God).

That whole genre is marketing. ALL of those bands (IE - Shadows Fall, LOG, Killswitch, etc) were marketed as hardcore bands and were on hardcore labels up until OZZFEST became a household name.

That scene did not in any way evolve from thrash.

The only part of the episode that was dead on was that the LA scene was more open than the NY scene in terms of cross-breeding genres (IE - punk / hardcore / metal) at shows, even though many think the whole NYHC scene was more open to it.

Fe Maiden
01-05-2012, 07:12 AM
It's lame that there won't be any Death or Black metal episodes but VH1 Classic s the only channel on tv that shows anything metal related so I won't trash them.Those were addressed in one of the episodes but I don't remember which one......Or maybe I'm thinking of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey????

makethemsuffer12
01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Again, I don't really get why so many people are getting so pissed about this. If Dunn did this independently, I'm sure it would cover death, black, thrash other than the Big 4, etc. But with VH1 backing and (probably) funding the project, I'm sure they have a big say in it. You should be happy that they at least gave Testament and Exodus airtime on the show, coming from a channel that caters to people that are nostalgic of the POPULAR music of the '90's and prior.

JRA
01-05-2012, 08:20 AM
The thrash episode was an abomination.
Sure, it is airing on VH1 which means the focus was going to be on the big 4.
How can you ignore Sodom, Kreator, and Destruction?

Also, since this is about how metal evolved, he is 100% incorrect in making claims that thrash evolved into the New Wave of American Heavy Metal (IE - Lamb of God).

That whole genre is marketing. ALL of those bands (IE - Shadows Fall, LOG, Killswitch, etc) were marketed as hardcore bands and were on hardcore labels up until OZZFEST became a household name.

That scene did not in any way evolve from thrash.

The only part of the episode that was dead on was that the LA scene was more open than the NY scene in terms of cross-breeding genres (IE - punk / hardcore / metal) at shows, even though many think the whole NYHC scene was more open to it.

No way were they gonna talk about German Thrash, though they could have brought up Pleasure To Kill and Agent Orange when Slagel was talking about thrash albums popping up all over the world.

And yea, I would have much rather Dunn bring up the thrash revival like Municipal Waste and Revocation than Lamb of God and fucking In Flames.

BlackDiamond
01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I actually like the show, but my biggest complaint(s) about the show is I think that some of the episodes should have been more than an hour long. Especially the NWOBHM and Thrash episodes. I also don't care for how some of the bands where placed in categories that don't really fit their style.

I'm also disappointed that their is no Black Metal episode. In Metal: A Headbangers Journey that was my favorite segment in the movie, so I was really hoping to see it covered.Black Metal might not be mainstream but it's extreme and extremes do sell.

DementedX14
01-05-2012, 06:03 PM
You guys have to remember that this VH1 classic and with that they won't put any death or black metal on there. It is all about the old stuff. Anyways, I enjoy most of Sam Dunn documentaries and even on his first DVD Headbangers journey he does a segment about Black and Death metal even if it is very short.

JRA
01-05-2012, 06:06 PM
You guys have to remember that this VH1 classic and with that they won't put any death or black metal on there. It is all about the old stuff.

Which totally explains the presence of the nu-metal episode.

300%_Density
01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Couple of thoughts on this show:

First episode was best bc I learned most from it because a lot of it was stuff I didn't know and I loved the blues stuff they talked about. Definitely a genre I need to get into.

The NWOBHM was a great episode outside of Dunn actually using NWOBHM as a word instead of just saying what the letters stand for.

Thrash episode was great. But somehow towards the end they talked and interviewed LOG. I personally have no problem w/ them but why the hell are they in the thrash episode? No Municipal Waste? Toxic Holocaust? Why not interview newer thrash bands?

A death/black episode would be nice but cmon people. This is vh1, I'm just grateful there's actually a metal series being done. We can still hope for a season 2 as there's a ton that'll be left out. Still fun watch.

Crionics
01-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Couple of thoughts on this show:

First episode was best bc I learned most from it because a lot of it was stuff I didn't know and I loved the blues stuff they talked about. Definitely a genre I need to get into.

The NWOBHM was a great episode outside of Dunn actually using NWOBHM as a word instead of just saying what the letters stand for.

Thrash episode was great. But somehow towards the end they talked and interviewed LOG. I personally have no problem w/ them but why the hell are they in the thrash episode? No Municipal Waste? Toxic Holocaust? Why not interview newer thrash bands?

A death/black episode would be nice but cmon people. This is vh1, I'm just grateful there's actually a metal series being done. We can still hope for a season 2 as there's a ton that'll be left out. Still fun watch.

1. This, I cringed everytime he pronounced "Nwobhm"
2. Municipal Waste are right in Richmond with LOG, he couldn't have stopped by?

Anyway, I do think it's an enjoyable series if you don't take all the details, classifications, errors, etc. to heart.

JRA
01-05-2012, 07:13 PM
1. This, I cringed everytime he pronounced "Nwobhm"

I think he did that because that's how Bruce pronounced it as a humorous afterthought in the "Number of the Beast" episode of the Classic Albums series. Still it was a little much, but so is saying New Wave of British Heavy Metal every single time.

BloodoftheKings
01-21-2012, 07:05 PM
The shock rock episode was pretty disappointing. He had the nerve to say Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, and Rammstien are the furthest shock rock has gone and didn't even mention GG Allin. I felt like turning it off in rage when after talking about Venom and King Diamond he skipped over the rest of the 80's and started talking about Manson. They should have had segments about GWAR, The Mentors, and GG Allin.

slapguitarer
01-21-2012, 07:12 PM
I'll probably get mad too, but I'm just happy to see King Diamond on there.

BloodoftheKings
01-21-2012, 07:20 PM
They covered:
Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Arthur Brown
Alice Cooper
Kiss
Venom
King Diamond
Marilyn Manson
Slipknot
Rammstien

I know they cant talk about everybody but they needed to cover GG at least because he is the single most shocking artist in the history of rock n' roll.

Spiner202
01-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Is Canada one week ahead or something? I just saw the Power Metal episode and it was great. If anything, it proved that we need a full-length Power Metal documentary and then tons of bonus features where they cover a whole bunch of bands (like in Get Thrashed).

JRA
01-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Is Canada one week ahead or something? I just saw the Power Metal episode and it was great. If anything, it proved that we need a full-length Power Metal documentary and then tons of bonus features where they cover a whole bunch of bands (like in Get Thrashed).

I guess so. This is not the first instance I've heard about an episode ahead airing before what's scheduled.

And good to know the Power Metal episode was worthwhile.

elturtleboy
01-22-2012, 10:34 AM
The shock rock episode was pretty disappointing. They should have had segments about GWAR, The Mentors, and GG Allin.

My girlfriend and I were saying the exact same thing the whole episode. No ones more shocking than GG. And I was hoping for Gwar and Mentors bring mentioned.

BloodoftheKings
01-22-2012, 10:42 AM
My girlfriend and I were saying the exact same thing the whole episode. No ones more shocking than GG. And I was hoping for Gwar and Mentors bring mentioned.

They had Oderus doing commentary and some of the artist and Gwar was on the chart so they kinda got mentioned but GG and the Mentors got completely ignored. The Mentors are definitely noteworthy because they caused probably the single lulziest moment in the history of shock rock. Al Gore reading the lyrics to Golden Showers.

slapguitarer
01-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Yeah, after they covered the 80's with Venom and King Diamond, it went down-hill.

BloodoftheKings
01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
I think they make poor choices for bands to cover in this series. The nu metal episode didn't even cover that many individual bands so instead of covering Limp Bizkit for a whole 30 minutes they should have had Slipknot and SOAD in there and kept Slipknot out of the shock rock episode to make room for all the shit they didn't cover.

dcmetal108
01-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Yea I was surprised watching the Shock Rock one and seeing Slipknot in there. I mean other than the masks they aren't really a shock rock band.

elturtleboy
01-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Yeah, after they covered the 80's with Venom and King Diamond, it went down-hill.

I guess no first wave of black metal episode

elturtleboy
01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I think they make poor choices for bands to cover in this series. The nu metal episode didn't even cover that many individual bands so instead of covering Limp Bizkit for a whole 30 minutes they should have had Slipknot and SOAD in there and kept Slipknot out of the shock rock episode to make room for all the shit they didn't cover.

THIS x 8442124578000532126

JRA
01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
They had Oderus doing commentary and some of the artist and Gwar was on the chart so they kinda got mentioned but GG and the Mentors got completely ignored. The Mentors are definitely noteworthy because they caused probably the single lulziest moment in the history of shock rock. Al Gore reading the lyrics to Golden Showers.

Can you imagine Sam in his cadence saying that the Mentors cause VP caused Al Gore to read "bend up and smell my anal vapor?" My God that would rule.

I heard someone say Cannibal Corpse should have been on this show and while I think death metal for the most part misses the point of shock rock, they are the exception to that rule.

dcmetal108
01-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Just watched the thrash episode. It kinda sucked. I do think it's funny that everyone said they felt like Metallica betrayed them by making a ballad and Lars goes and says that he felt Slayer betrays everyone by staying the same.

Also why was there really no talk about Anthrax!

powerslave_85
01-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Can you imagine Sam in his cadence saying that the Mentors cause VP caused Al Gore to read "bend up and smell my anal vapor?" My God that would rule.

I heard someone say Cannibal Corpse should have been on this show and while I think death metal for the most part misses the point of shock rock, they are the exception to that rule.
Bands like Cannibal Corpse don't have exposure to a big enough audience to really be "shock rock" like Alice Cooper or Marilyn Manson.

NickLed19
01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
How is Slipknot shock rock?

BloodoftheKings
01-22-2012, 07:07 PM
How is Slipknot shock rock?

The only thing about them that shocks me is their pretentious faggotry.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-22-2012, 08:05 PM
What the fuck was nickelback doing anywhere near that show?!?!

JRA
01-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Bands like Cannibal Corpse don't have exposure to a big enough audience to really be "shock rock" like Alice Cooper or Marilyn Manson.

That's part of it, but there is a minute portion of mainstream conscience that has heard of Cannibal Corpse or seen one of their album covers.

JRA
01-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Just watched the thrash episode. It kinda sucked. I do think it's funny that everyone said they felt like Metallica betrayed them by making a ballad and Lars goes and says that he felt Slayer betrays everyone by staying the same.

Exhibit A of Ultraboris's claim that Lars does nothing but scheme and cover one's self in a heavy does of bullshit. Slayer betraying everyone? Betraying who? Critics and so called "art buffs"? Fuck those losers.

dcmetal108
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Exhibit A of Ultraboris's claim that Lars does nothing but scheme and cover one's self in a heavy does of bullshit. Slayer betraying everyone? Betraying who? Critics and so called "art buffs"? Fuck those losers.

Yea I like when they were talking to Kerry about it he was like "Who are we betraying?? He said we backing into a corner. Well you know this is the best corner I've ever been in" :party:

JRA
01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
If anything they betrayed their fans when they made two back to back nu-metal albums with Diablous in Musica and God Hates Us All.

JRA
02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Ok, I finally saw the power metal episode.

First off, holy shit was it awesome to see Kai Hansen get a respectable amount of interview time. On fucking VH1! Second of all, considering this was a 45 minute special and not a "Get Thrashed" like retrospective, I thought they did a damn good job.

That said, there definitely were flaws. This is more of a complaint of the series as a whole, but Sam has fuckin learned nothing from making the Rush and Maiden documentaries and their successes being a result of staying the fuck off the screen. I don't hate the sight of the guy, but a rule of filmmaking is show, don't tell. I also thought him awkwardly filming waiting for Yngwie and getting blown off by Manowar was very unprofessional.

Speaking of Yngwie and Manowar, Sam was very wrong in presenting his facts. He claims Manowar took power metal back from Yngwie and brought it back to its roots. Except Manowar had two albums before Rising Force and already had a reputation by then so if anything Yngwie took it away from them.

He did the exact same thing with Nightwish and Dragonforce. "Nightwish evolved the sound of power metal further than Dragonforce." Ok yes, Nightwish evolved the sound of metal...in the fucking 1990's!! The first 4 Nightwish albums or so were what European metal fans were finding salvation in while American was jacking off over Limp Bizkit, Slipknot and nu-metal. By the time Through The Fire and Flames came out, Tarja had been shitcanned from Nightwish and even hadn't been, their period of importance and unfluence was pretty much over.

I know this sounds really nerdy, but I don't think assbag groove metal fans would appreciate it if I said Pantera took metal back to a stripped down level after Sepultura's overtribalization(not a real word) of metal with Chaos AD and Roots.

Also, I have to take points off for that marching band version of Final Countdown. That was the gayest fucking thing I have ever seen. The original version was terrible to begin with, but that was Liberace, Richard Simmons and Fred Phelps joining that Penn State guy for an underage boys room shower rape orgy.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
02-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I think the power metal episode was one of the best so far and I don't even like power metal.

elturtleboy
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Power Metal nerds will dig it I'm sure. Ill be ditching the last episode of the season. Hopefully season 2 has Black/Death Metal

slapguitarer
02-03-2012, 07:00 AM
The Prog Metal episode should be really cool, assuming they actually interview some Prog Metal bands and not just bands like Rush, King Crimson, Yes, etc. Also, if the only modern-ish Prog Metal band they interview is Dream Theater, I will throw a brick at my TV.

King Slender
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
The Prog Metal episode should be really cool, assuming they actually interview some Prog Metal bands and not just bands like Rush, King Crimson, Yes, etc. Also, if the only modern-ish Prog Metal band they interview is Dream Theater, I will throw a brick at my TV.

In the preview I saw, Brann from Mastodon is one of the interviews.

slapguitarer
02-05-2012, 08:50 AM
So, anybody watch the prog episode yet? It's my favorite of them all.

I'm surprised that they actually went to the extent of interviewing Meshuggah and Dillinger, and actually played their music on VH1. That was pretty cool. Also, I'm glad they didn't suck DT's dick like I thought they might have. And giving Mastodon a good chunk of the spot light made it that much better! :D

I'm disappointed they didn't get to interivew anybody associated with Opeth and they best they could do with Tool was a producer, but it was still a really cool episode.

Blacktooth85
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah the Prog episode was pretty good. I just wished they included Opeth too. I mean they put in Dillinger Escape Plan? WTF.

Blacktooth85
02-06-2012, 08:59 PM
If anything they betrayed their fans when they made two back to back nu-metal albums with Diablous in Musica and God Hates Us All.

I still don't agree when everyone says that those 2 albums are nu-metal. I mean i never heard any rapping, or turn tables, or whining about not being popular in high school in any of those songs... Yeah so what if they weren't going a million miles a hour. If anything I'd say they were experimenting more with groove metal... None of those songs sound remotely close to any Korn, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach shit.

SomewhereInTime72
02-07-2012, 11:52 PM
I still don't agree when everyone says that those 2 albums are nu-metal. I mean i never heard any rapping, or turn tables, or whining about not being popular in high school in any of those songs... Yeah so what if they weren't going a million miles a hour. If anything I'd say they were experimenting more with groove metal... None of those songs sound remotely close to any Korn, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach shit.

Plenty of nu-metal doesn't have those elements. Not that I would call those albums nu-metal, more like... particularly lame groove metal. :hmm::mad:

BloodoftheKings
09-15-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.indiegogo.com/ExtremeMetal

They've started an indie go go thing to raise funds to make 1 final episode that will cover death metal, black metal, and grindcore. I don't think it absolutely has to be made and I don't plan on donating myself but it would be cool I guess.

JRA
09-15-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.indiegogo.com/ExtremeMetal

They've started an indie go go thing to raise funds to make 1 final episode that will cover death metal, black metal, and grindcore. I don't think it absolutely has to be made and I don't plan on donating myself but it would be cool I guess.

Honestly, putting everything under one episode is a really terrible idea. They'll only be able to cover basic stuff that pretty much everyone knows at this point. I don't need to hear about the church burnings for the zillionth time. I need to hear how Fenriz came up with the Transilvanian Hunger riff!

dcmetal108
09-15-2012, 06:19 PM
The high prices and gifts are insane.

elturtleboy
09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
All in one episode? No! I want each to have its own. Especially Grind.

dcmetal108
09-16-2012, 04:07 PM
I want a hardcore episode! (could be included into a 2 hour episode with that and grind)

BloodoftheKings
09-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I want a hardcore episode! (could be included into a 2 hour episode with that and grind)

But hardcore is a punk subgenre. Grindcore also is to an extent but has just as much roots in metal so it still counts.

dcmetal108
09-16-2012, 06:06 PM
But hardcore is a punk subgenre. Grindcore also is to an extent but has just as much roots in metal so it still counts.

When you dig deeper into hardcore and grindcore though they start to mesh.

For example powerviolence crosses grind and hardcore it seems for some bands.

powerslave_85
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I still think trying to shoehorn punk into this is stupid. The amount of punk that influenced metal is really small; really they had parallel but separate histories. I think you guys have kind of narrow view of it because of the kinds of metal you listen to. There's soooo much punk that has absolutely nothing to do with metal.

I find it kind of shocking that they wouldn't bother to do separate black and death metal episodes. Though the black metal one would only be interesting if they dug really deep and went into the many sub-sub genres. Like JRA said, no one wants to hear about the church burning shit again.

dcmetal108
09-17-2012, 04:58 AM
I think even if we got seperate episodes for everything some of us will still want more.

Sinfulsot
10-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Despite Dillinger Escape Plan, i liked the prog metal episode.

i think we had to endure grunge, nu-metal and glam because such genres made it to the charts. and for VH1, if it didn't chart, it's like it didn't happen.

JRA
10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
NWOBHM never charted. Not in this country.

mankvill
10-01-2012, 11:11 AM
NWOBHM never charted. Not in this country.

what

JRA
10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
what

Certainly never as high as grunge, nu-metal, hair-metal and all the other sub-genres of metal VH1 wants to shoehorn in.

mankvill
10-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Certainly never as high as grunge, nu-metal, hair-metal and all the other sub-genres of metal VH1 wants to shoehorn in.

every Iron Maiden release with Bruce on vox has charted above #35, usually within the top 20, and AMOLAD was #9 and FF was #4!

rjturtle9
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
The only reason all the metal documentary shows cover New Wave of British Heavy Metal is so the can talk about Iron Maiden. There is no other reason. You never see them spend more then a few seconds talking about Saxon or Tygers of Pan Tang. If it wasn't for Maiden, NWOBHM would never be touched on, since no bands really went anywhere.

JRA
10-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Very true, but I think Diamond Head got a decent chunk of time.

slapguitarer
10-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Very true, but I think that band Metallica covered got a decent chunk of time.

That's how they see it.

JRA
10-02-2012, 12:10 PM
True. But Metallica covered quite a few of them.

El Gordo
10-02-2012, 04:32 PM
That's how they see it.

That's how most people see it, and really, how can you blame them?

SomewhereInTime72
10-02-2012, 07:29 PM
That's how most people see it, and really, how can you blame them?

As condescendingly as possible.

Sinfulsot
10-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Dunn's treatment of the material is his own, but the genres covered mirror VH1's 4 part heavy metal documentary.

El Gordo
10-04-2012, 02:35 PM
As condescendingly as possible.

Meh. The only reason most people and most metalheads know anything about them is because of Metallica. Lightning to the Nations was a good album. That's it, really.