Michael Bay is the best.

illuminatus917
01-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Needs more Transformers

Michael Bay is the best.

:LOLFC:

dcmetal108
01-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Rango was a amazing animated movie but you should watch Hugo as its one of the best kids movies this year.

And The Muppets is within my top 3 movies this year and BY FAR the best kids movie this year and one of the best comedies.

DethMaiden
01-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I did see Hugo; it was one of the last five I cut. ;)

And I'm not seeing the Muppets. I don't care about them. You can't separate the nostalgia people have for it from this movie. I'm SURE it's not objectively good if you have no background in Muppet lore.

JRA
01-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I agree. I watched the Muppet Show reruns every night when I was a kid but I just have no desire to see this. Maybe it's because I grew out of the Muppets, maybe I realized they weren't that good. Maybe because it was Vince McMahon's retarded idea to have them guest host RAW. But either way I just don't care about them anymore.

Random rant: Fuck Miss Piggy. She was a female bully that people thought was charming because she was female and a pig. A shit person is a shit person.

You know what else I realized? Muppet Babies > Muppets.

powerslave_85
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
All this anti-Muppet talk makes me want to start punching faces.

And man, I liked Midnight In Paris, but better than Drive and Hugo? NOPE.

dcmetal108
01-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I still gotta see Drive. REALLY WANT TO!

But I know alot of people with no background Muppet love that loved the new muppet movie. I just have this HUGE love for Muppets so that helps.

DethMaiden
01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
All this anti-Muppet talk makes me want to start punching faces.

And man, I liked Midnight In Paris, but better than Drive and Hugo? NOPE.

It's infinitesimally better than Drive, but a pretty big margin better than Hugo. Honestly, if Hugo dropped the fucking 3D (I think shooting in 3D forces directors to include scenes they otherwise wouldn't, and basically everything fast-moving in Hugo was completely superfluous to the narrative) and the Sacha Baron Cohen running around the train station like Buster Keaton scenes, it would have been a hell of a lot better. Pacing was weird, too. They should have fixed the automaton much earlier if the movie was really about getting Melies back into film.

I absolutely loved the moment where they discover that Melies was a filmmaker through the end, and on the whole it was still somewhere in that 11-15 range, but with a few of its flaws fixed it could have been movie of the year. The fact that it blew its potential that much makes it a minor disappointment, even though I enjoyed it.

EDIT: And I'm not precisely anti-Muppets. I just can't watch a movie that's so rooted in the idea that we all already love the Muppets so hey let's bring them back. Never watched them growing up, have no attachment, can't buy into that premise. I've been told to watch the original movie, and once America stops being fad-obsessed with them, I will, but right now, I'm annoyed.

powerslave_85
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I think Hugo was the best use of 3D I've seen so far, by a long shot.

I'll have a list together in a week or two. I want to see Warhorse and Tintin first.

masterguy49
01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Being a huge film buff myself (planning on going to film school and become a director) I've been really behind this year. I don't know why, I guess lack of money and no film really drove me to go to the movies much this year... I will definitely see the movies on your list that I haven't. I loved Girl with the Dragon Tattoo though :D

BloodoftheKings
01-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't keep up with movies lately cause not much of the movies coming out really interest me. I saw 5 movies this year and the only 2 I really liked were The Muppets and Hobo With a Shotgun. Scream 4 and Captain America were decent and i'd rather not talk about the other movie I saw. I still need to see Human Centipede 2 and X-Men First Class and I heard Drive is good so I guess i'll check that out eventually.

EDIT: I also saw Super 8. That was pretty great.

mastodon421
01-02-2012, 03:41 AM
I have been subjected myself to as many films as possible this year. My goal is to see a majority of the films released in 2011, regardless If I wanted to see them or not. So far, I've seen 83 (clearly I'm not even close to my goal). I will post my favorites of the year later this week (I am waiting to see Girl With The Dragon Tattoo).

I have only seen 3 films from your list so far Brad. Super 8 and Moneyball are both in my top 10 as well, both excellent films. Rango, on the other hand, I thought was really average. Although it had some elements I liked (like you said in your review, the animation is amazing) It lacked the spark and wit that most Pixar films have and I didn't really care what happened to the characters.

DethMaiden
01-02-2012, 06:39 AM
How did you see 83 movies and manage to miss all but three of these? You must have been seeing some real shit. :lol:

mastodon421
01-02-2012, 06:46 AM
How did you see 83 movies and manage to miss all but three of these? You must have been seeing some real shit. :lol:

A good majority of the movies I saw this year were on DVD and most of the those seven aren't on DVD yet (I actually haven't even heard of Weekend :eyes:). I believe Midnight In Paris is the next movie I'm getting on Netflix, so that will knock another one off your list.

DethMaiden
01-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Ahh, I gotcha. Well, Weekend and Meek's Cutoff are both streaming on Netflix Instant, and you owe it to yourself to see War Horse while it's still in theaters. Absolutely gorgeous on that massive screen.

dcmetal108
01-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I think Hugo was the best use of 3D I've seen so far, by a long shot.

I'll have a list together in a week or two. I want to see Warhorse and Tintin first.

Yea Huge was great in 3D and I HATE the whole 3D fad.

Still want to see Tintin and for some reason I just can't get myself to want to see War Horse.

Natrlhi
01-02-2012, 09:21 AM
I knew this would happen. I read your list and got fucking depressed - mainly because I've only seen 1 1/2 of the movies on it (saw all of Moneyball and half of Paris - more on those in a minute).

Clearly I just saw way too few movies this year (and by this I mean too few movies in general, but especially in theaters), and I was well aware of that before clicking the link. Still, I was glad to read the reviews. For one thing, your writing style keeps getting better and better (although don't let that go to your fucking head, ya punk ;)), and also because of the obvious benefit of getting some good ideas about what to try to watch next. I'm most looking forward to Drive, Super 8 and Rango (in that order). For the record, that was already the case before reading your reviews, but reading them did help confirm what I was already thinking.

One thing, though. I fucking hated what I saw of Paris. I mean, I think I get the general plot and I see what the filmmakers were trying to do, but even though I love art in all its various forms, I just could not understand why I should give a fuck what was happening on the screen the whole time. I saw the second half of the movie, if that helps explain anything, but to me the movie just did not make me care about what was happening. Wilson was comical and likeable as always, but beyond that, I just don't know.

Anyways, nice list. :fist:

DethMaiden
01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
You really shouldn't judge a movie by its back end considering all the setup takes place in the first half. ;) I'm sorry you didn't like what you saw, but yeah, give it a full go and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Natrlhi
01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Well, it certainly doesn't hurt that Rachel McAdams is the female lead. I've got a weakness for that gal that I can't quite explain. My wife already returned it to Blockbuster, though, so who knows when it'll end up back in my queue. We'll see.

Seriously, though - see Dragon Tattoo. It's fucking tits (both literally and figuratively speaking). ;)

DethMaiden
01-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I liked the Swedish one a lot and have consistently heard every critic I respect call this one "competent but worse," so I'm not in a hurry.

Natrlhi
01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
They are fucking wrong. You'll be sorry.

dcmetal108
01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Saw Dragon Tattoo tonight and in short. Holy shit it was awsome.

Natrlhi
01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Saw Dragon Tattoo tonight and in short. Holy shit it was awsome.Yeah, Brad's not gonna watch it - or at least if he does, he'll never admit it on here. Once he's made his statement for the record, he'd rather suck a bag of dicks than change his position or admit he was wrong in the first place.

dcmetal108
01-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I went into it with a open mind having read the book a long time ago and it blew me past my expectations. They both deserve best actor/actress and best picture for sure along with best soundtrack.

Natrlhi
01-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I went into it with a open mind having read the book a long time ago and it blew me past my expectations. They both deserve best actor/actress and best picture for sure along with best soundtrack.Yeah, I was a fan of all three of the original Swedish films, and was only cautiously optimistic at best about the U.S. version. The remake did just what you said, though - surpassed my expectations. Also, I think you're right on track with some of the movie's strengths - the soundtrack was awesome (and no, not just because it's by a guy who's loosely connected to the metal world), and the acting by Mara and Craig was great. As I've stated before, I also liked Skarsgard and Plummer better than the actors who were cast in the original roles, and I've had quite a few folks agree with me there, too.

It was just a great film. I'm sincerely shocked that some critics are choosing to bag on it (although it currently has an 86% tomatometer score and a 71% score on Metacritic, which are both good scores), but I do know that it can be fun - not to mention easy - to write bad reviews about something that other folks are digging.

Oh well - at least you and I and a bunch of other folks got to see it and enjoy it. :fist:

DethMaiden
01-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah, Brad's not gonna watch it - or at least if he does, he'll never admit it on here. Once he's made his statement for the record, he'd rather suck a bag of dicks than change his position or admit he was wrong in the first place.

I'm going to see it, but definitely not in theaters.

dcmetal108
01-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I was a fan of all three of the original Swedish films, and was only cautiously optimistic at best about the U.S. version. The remake did just what you said, though - surpassed my expectations. Also, I think you're right on track with some of the movie's strengths - the soundtrack was awesome (and no, not just because it's by a guy who's loosely connected to the metal world), and the acting by Mara and Craig was great. As I've stated before, I also liked Skarsgard and Plummer better than the actors who were cast in the original roles, and I've had quite a few folks agree with me there, too.

It was just a great film. I'm sincerely shocked that some critics are choosing to bag on it (although it currently has an 86% tomatometer score and a 71% score on Metacritic, which are both good scores), but I do know that it can be fun - not to mention easy - to write bad reviews about something that other folks are digging.

Oh well - at least you and I and a bunch of other folks got to see it and enjoy it. :fist:

I feel like once award show season gets closer the movie will again alot more popularity by the average movie goer.

MetalIsArt
01-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I've only seen two movies in 2011, in the cinema that is.

Mostly lack of time, but also because I HATE 3D with a passion.

illuminatus917
01-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Well, it certainly doesn't hurt that Rachel McAdams is the female lead. I've got a weakness for that gal that I can't quite explain.

I'm continually surprised by how much we have in common.

For a number of years now I've been more attracted to Rachel McAdams than any other actress in Hollywood. She gives off some sort of vibe that just draws me to her. The only reason I didn't go see Sherlock Holmes was because I read they killed her off near the beginning of the movie. :(

powerslave_85
01-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I liked War Horse a lot, but not enough to rank it that high. It certainly was expertly crafted, though I would expect nothing less from Spielberg. This kind of thing is his bread and butter.

SPOILERS AHOY

I found it kind of funny that, early in the war, Joey almost seemed to be more of a harbinger of doom than anything. "Here, brother, take this banner for good luck. I got it off a guy who got shot in the face 5 minutes into his first battle."

I chuckled quite a bit at the part where the German soldier corrects the grammar of the British soldier.

MetalIsArt
01-08-2012, 01:53 AM
I take the music was nice as always?

mastodon421
01-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Finally saw Dragon Tattoo last night. It was fucking amazing. The acting, writing, directing, and music was all top-notch. I can't say how it compares to the Sweedish one, but I was very impressed.

Now that I've finally see Dragon Tattoo, I can post my year-end film round-up on my blog:party:

MetalIsArt
01-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Finally saw Dragon Tattoo last night. It was fucking amazing. The acting, writing, directing, and music was all top-notch. I can't say how it compares to the Sweedish one, but I was very impressed.

Now that I've finally see Dragon Tattoo, I can post my year-end film round-up on my blog:party:

I must see this too, and the whining about "it's teh remake!" is unnecessary. It's an ADAPTATION! :tp: