PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Funeral Doom Albums of All Time

hb420
12-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Will commence this list shortly........;)

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/0/3/2/303251.jpg?1241
Loss - Despond
(Profound Lore, 2011)

This release I thought was good but nothing really special, when I first heard it in the beginning of this year. All of that changed this past couple of months, after really giving it a chance to soak in. Especially after the hard times that have been plaguing me recently this stuff is truly therapeutic, as another review had put it. Despond goes beyond the limitations most Funeral Doom have been stricken by. Bringing in outside influences such as black and progressive metal that create Loss's pretty unique sound, sometimes going faster than a glacial pace when called for, writing great songs that are perfectly clear, concise (none of them go past ten minutes) and above all else they're extremely catchy in a sublime way. All six songs are highlights and the four interludes add to the desolate atmosphere the album exudes, enhancing the already powerful songs. It is also the perfect gateway album to Funeral Doom in my opionion, because it is also the most non-funeral doom funeral doom album for lovers of doom or heavy/extreme music in general. The beautiful mournful guitar melodies of Mike Meacham and Tim Lewis worm their way into your head and nest in your brain never leaving as soon as they get stuck.The bass just a low rumble amidst them, letting they rhythm really come from the drums. Add Mike's unbelievably low growl to the formula and it makes for the perfect combination.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/7/2/7/172742.jpg
Worship - Dooom
(Endzeit Elegies, 2007)

Relying heavily on atmosphere to showcase their crushing heaviness. Germany's Worship uses droning guitar chords, demonic growls and melancholic chants to sustain a level of unrelenting sadness and depression throughout its ten tracks. Each song slowly building towards monolithic crushingly anti-climatic ends, using leads sparingly in between. It's an album I'd only recommend for lovers of the genre already.

ravenheart
12-25-2011, 03:06 AM
This is easy. There aren't any :p

MetalIsArt
12-25-2011, 03:51 AM
This is easy. There aren't any :p

This :D

ravenheart
12-25-2011, 03:57 AM
It often confuses people, given how a big a doom fan I am, but I really can't stand funeral doom. It's just doom for lazy people.

MetalIsArt
12-25-2011, 06:54 AM
It often confuses people, given how a big a doom fan I am, but I really can't stand funeral doom. It's just doom for lazy people.

I prefer Candlemass-style doom ty very much. :allan:

Rocco44
12-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Definitely disagree, although I don't listen to much of the genre. Ahab is essential. Not a lazy band.

ravenheart
12-25-2011, 12:06 PM
I prefer Candlemass-style doom ty very much. :allan:

So...proper doom, then? ;)

Pay attention to my thread ;)

mankvill
12-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Mournful Congregations latest!

hb420
12-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Mournful Congregations latest!

They will be on this list, just not that album. ;)

MPF
12-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Needs more Corrupted.

slapguitarer
12-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Ahab is essential.

This

hb420
12-25-2011, 08:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/homsar46/melodic20070131153616_0869652.gif

Asunder - A Clarion Call
(Life Is Abuse, 2004)

This album as I have stated before, is without a doubt the most heavy and punishing funeral doom album I have ever heard. It never loses its atmospherics while focusing mainly thundering riffs including a glorious guitar solo, earthquake inducing bass lines, and heavy handed precise drumming. I love all three tracks, each one spectacularly showing why doom metal in general is so awesome.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/2/9/3/12936.jpg?0608

Skepticism - Lead and Aether
(Red Stream Inc., 1998)

Finland's Skepticism managed to top their tremendous debut "Stormcrowfleet" with the sophomore masterpiece titled "Lead and Aether". It's probably my favorite release of the older funeral doom bands. While it keeps the slow pace most funeral doom manages to maintain. The use of the keyboards here are the best I've heard in this type of music. They add a level of versatility to the melancholic music to keep it from reaching repetitiveness. The first half of the album is stronger than the second, with opener "The Oraganium" and "The Falls" being the highlights.

MetalIsArt
12-26-2011, 06:02 AM
So...proper doom, then? ;)

Pay attention to my thread ;)

I'll check it out :allan:

illuminatus917
12-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Definitely disagree, although I don't listen to much of the genre. Ahab is essential. Not a lazy band.

The Call of the Wretched Sea is one of the greatest doom albums ever. Not just funeral doom...

hb420
12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
The Call of the Wretched Sea is one of the greatest doom albums ever. Not just funeral doom...

I think this album is a bit better ;)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/ahab_cover.jpg

Ahab - The Divinity of the Oceans
(Napalm Records, 2009)

Ahab's debut record was a phenomenal example of how you do funeral doom right. With their sophomore release which followed three years later, Ahab brought what should be extreme doom in general to an entire different level. Starting with the first song "Yet Another Raft of the Medusa (Pollard's Weakness)" which sounds the most like their other record. You could start making out some differences, the production is a little cleaner, the ambient parts are shortened, the drums are more technical, and the magnificent clean vocals that start out as mostly background vocals. Eventually worm their way to at least half of the entire lead vocals on the album. Along with riffs becoming a lot meatier, more in the vein of death metal at points. They no longer drone for long lengths, instead you get a much stronger sense of dynamics. Making nothing last longer than it should, and making every second and riff count. I would say this is probably the second most accessible album on this list next to Loss. I love this album I a lot, it's pretty much flawless. If I would have to pick a highlight though it would have to be "Redemption Lost". It has an absolutely dreamy shoe-gaze/post feel to it, that makes it standout heads and shoulders above most funeral doom for its uplifting atmosphere. One last thing their lyrics are awesome, and made me look into the story of the Essex. It's really interesting stuff.

EDIT: They have a new album this next year, can't come soon enough :party: Will definitely be high on my list next year.

hb420
12-27-2011, 01:23 AM
http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://distro.todestrieb.co.uk/images/large/covers11/mournfulcongregation-themonadofcreation_LRG.jpg&sa=X&ei=IJL5Tt7SEq39iQL2kKSkDg&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHaxqd2MTUFqofcD-l8QHZzMchHrQ

Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation
(Weird Truth Productions, 2005)

Mournful Congregation, while not having the claim to the greatest funeral doom album in my eyes are definitely the most consistent band in the genre. Staring from their first record onward to this year's "The Book of Kings". The band has released four epic records of majestic and ethereal funeral doom. The clear cut winner out of the four though is their second, "The Monad of Creation". It's overflowing with melancholia and despair, desolating anything in its path. Huge glacial riffing over deep bowel releasing growls it literally downs you in a sea of pitch black darkness. The acoustic flourishes are of the highest order as well, and just make the atmosphere that more vibrant. As in the third track "When The Weeping Dawn Beheld Its Mortal Thirst", which is a completely breathtaking instrumental that alleviates from the other songs negativity if only for its running time. Highly recommended, quality funeral doom that never becomes a burden even for genre beginners.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/5/0/4/15049.jpg

Funeral - Tristesse
(Wild Rag Records, 1994)

The first funeral doom album I heard (doom metal in general as well for that matter), to this day I still hold it in high regard. I remember being blown away by its sheer heaviness and how incredibly slow it was. Another one where I absolutely cannot pick a favorite, the entire album is really good. It's more death/doom than a funeral doom record but its where the genre originated along with Thergothon so I think it counts.

DethMaiden
12-27-2011, 05:11 AM
I think this album is a bit better ;)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/ahab_cover.jpg

Ahab - The Divinity of the Oceans
(Napalm Records, 2009)

Ahab's debut record was a phenomenal example of how you do funeral doom right. With their sophomore release which followed three years later, Ahab brought what should be extreme doom in general to an entire different level. Starting with the first song "Yet Another Raft of the Medusa (Pollard's Weakness)" which sounds the most like their other record. You could start making out some differences, the production is a little cleaner, the ambient parts are shortened, the drums are more technical, and the magnificent clean vocals that start out as mostly background vocals. Eventually worm their way to at least half of the entire lead vocals on the album. Along with riffs becoming a lot meatier, more in the vein of death metal at points. They no longer drone for long lengths, instead you get a much stronger sense of dynamics. Making nothing last longer than it should, and making every second and riff count. I would say this is probably the second most accessible album on this list next to Loss. I love this album I a lot, it's pretty much flawless. If I would have to pick a highlight though it would have to be "Redemption Lost". It has an absolutely dreamy shoe-gaze/post feel to it, that makes it standout heads and shoulders above most funeral doom for its uplifting atmosphere. One last thing their lyrics are awesome, and made me look into the story of the Essex. It's really interesting stuff.

EDIT: They have a new album this next year, can't come soon enough :party: Will definitely be high on my list next year.

Raft of the Medusa is maybe my favorite painting ever. Must have stared at it for two hours at the Louvre.

This album is pretty good, too. ;)

ravenheart
12-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Funeral - Tristesse
(Wild Rag Records, 1994)

Apart from the fact that I read that as "Wild Fag Records", the new band called Funeral are SO much better.

MetalIsArt
12-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Apart from the fact that I read that as "Wild Fag Records", the new band called Funeral are SO much better.

True doom? ;):allan:

ravenheart
12-27-2011, 06:37 AM
True doom? ;):allan:

Indeed they are, albeit quite slow.

MetalIsArt
12-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Indeed they are, albeit quite slow.

Gimme some links son :allan:

ravenheart
01-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Funeral - Tristesse
(Wild Rag Records, 1994)

Fuck me if it's not the same damn band. Seriously. Turns out this "new" record is actually a collection of unreleased tracks all recorded 15+ years ago. It's so coherent as a release it's just unbelievable.

Limited to 999 copies worldwide.

hb420
01-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Fuck me if it's not the same damn band. Seriously. Turns out this "new" record is actually a collection of unreleased tracks all recorded 15+ years ago. It's so coherent as a release it's just unbelievable.

Limited to 999 copies worldwide.

Nice, lol they're a great band though. So I'll have to check it out.