PDA

View Full Version : My Half-Assed End o' da Year List

hellawaits77ny
12-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Just what the title says. Won't go into a ton of detail w/ each choice, but I felt like being cool and doing one of these. I'll list my top 10 albums, 5 worst albums, 10 best concerts, 5 worst concerts, and what I'm most looking forward to musically in 2012.

hellawaits77ny
12-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Top Albums (and EP's)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AtlM2oHCQ5U/TrFyL2GHLzI/AAAAAAAAEe0/OIUHln2rv9U/s1600/cover.jpg
Dying Fetus
History Repeats

Honestly, when I first got this EP, I was kind of disappointed. And I still am, a little bit. Still though, it's fucking Dying Fetus. This is my least favorite release of theirs, but it's still just, COOL. I guess. The opener, originally by Dehumanized is great. Slow and simple for DF song, it has some cool breakdowns and great riffs. Rohypnol is a 41 second joke song w/ some purposely over-the-top pig squeals. Cool song, though. Couple other ok songs, nothing great, but for whatever reason, I find myself listening to this EP quite a bit.

street_burial
12-21-2011, 11:27 PM
i love this list already :rocker:

hellawaits77ny
12-21-2011, 11:28 PM
http://reigninart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Krisiun-The-Great-Execution.jpg
Krisiun
The Great Execution

Same old Krisiun, same old solid album. I find it really tough to pick a favorite Krisiun song, cause they all sound so similar to me. But at the same time, I've yet to encounter a Krisiun song I haven't really enjoyed. Blood Of Lions is probably my favorite from this one. Have never seen these guys live, hope to do so soon. They're touring Europe w/ Malevolent Creation early next year :drool:

Dextrimental
12-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Good starting picks! The Krisiun album is awesome, not a game changer for me, but it's Krisiun doing what they do best! Not a huge Dying Fetus fan, but that EP has been quite well received around the internetz so I may give it a listen!

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Good starting picks! The Krisiun album is awesome, not a game changer for me, but it's Krisiun doing what they do best! Not a huge Dying Fetus fan, but that EP has been quite well received around the internetz so I may give it a listen!

Thanks! The EP is a little different than most of DF's stuff. Slower and a little simpler.

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 02:51 AM
http://www.thisisnotascene.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Full-Blown-Chaos-Full-Blown-Chaos.jpg
Full Blown Chaos
Full Blown Chaos

A very underrated hardcore/metalcore band from Queens, I've always liked these guys ever since I saw them open for Hatebreed in '05. This is another really strong album, that doesn't really have a weak song. Not many stick out, but the album is solid from beginning to end. Was able to see them twice this year, and they were excellent both times. And on a side note, their lead singer, Ray Mazzola, is one of the coolest guys in the music biz I've ever met. Real nice dude. Doomageddon and The Walking Dead are my favorites.

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 02:58 AM
http://s.cdon.com/media-dynamic/images/product/music/album/image0/brutalitarian_regime-15564587-frntl.jpg
Blood Red Throne
Brutalitarian Regime

To be honest, I had never checked these guys out until I saw they were opening for Grave. Glad I did. A great blackened death metal band, and out of the albums I've listened to of theirs, this is my favorite. Has some songs that are really brutal, while others are slower w/ some groove. Just really solid all the way through, and the tracks really standout from each other. Title track is probably the best song. My only diss to this band was their lead singers live voice. Couldn't pull off studio quality vocals live.

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 09:02 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Phoenix-Amongst-the-Ashes.jpg
Hate Eternal
Phoenix Amongst The Ashes

Another solid Hate Eternal release. While I don't agree completely w/ how much this album has been praised (some calling it a classic and such), I do agree that it's a great album. Really, really brutal. I just love it! What drags the album down a bit is how similar it all sounds (to me, at least). Not much variation.

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.metalized.ca/sites/default/files/Neuraxis-Asylon-2011-cover.jpg
Neuraxis
Asylon

This album was on my Top 30 Death Metal Album list, but the more I listened to the album, I liked it a little less. Still a great, great album. Has some real unique sounding gems. Has a great blend of brutality and tech, and a rarity for many death metal bands; some real variation between the tunes. I especially like how the middle tunes are great. In my opinion at least, it seems like many death metal albums kind of stall in the middle, and get strong again at the end. This one is solid from start to finish.

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 09:36 PM
http://www.recordsale.de/cdpix/m/machine_head-unto_the_locust.jpg
Machine Head
Unto The Locust

Another great album by MH. This album is a continuation of what made their previous 2 albums great: An excellent blend of heaviness, speed, technicality, and great, complex song structures. There are some really, really great songs here. I wasn't to sure what to expect after I heard the title track, as it was ok, but nothing spectactular. Then when I checked the album out and heard I Am Hell, I was no longer worried! As I've said before, I think some of their songs border on the pretentious and excessively lengthy side, but hey, that's Machine Head.

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 11:08 PM
http://reigninart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Trapped-Under-Ice-Big-Kiss-Goodnight.jpg
Trapped Under Ice
Big Kiss Goodnight

It took me a few listens to get into this album. After a few listens, I started to love it. It's definately a little different than their previous releases, but not in a bad way. The first few songs are all great, while the middle is average. Their re-recording of Reality Unfolds is fuckin awesome, my favorite song from the album. On a side note, I was able to see these guys 3x this year, and they are w/o a doubt one of the best hardcore bands I've ever seen live.

treghet
12-22-2011, 11:10 PM
On a side note, I was able to see these guys 3x this year, and they are w/o a doubt one of the best hardcore bands I've ever seen live.

Three times and you haven't come home with a broken jaw yet???

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 11:12 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ivN11tzqU0k/TWHUbNKSW4I/AAAAAAAABII/r7wlIBBEV-Y/s1600/to-hell-with-god.www.halifaxcollect.blogspot.com.jpg
Deicide
To Hell With God

While I didn't hate Deicide's last record as much as many people did, I certainly wasn't huge fan. Was pretty disappointed, as it was such a far cry from their previous album, The Stench of Redemption. I really "wanted" to like this album, and I do. I love it, actually. I was pleasantly suprised when I heard the first song they streamed, Into The Darkness You Go. When I checked the whole album out, I was even more pleased. Quality tunes throughout, and only 1 or 2 fillers, which is great for Deicide! Really solid production too, makes it even better.

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Three times and you haven't come home with a broken jaw yet???

LOL!!!

Well, twice I filmed them, and the other it was so packed I didn't wanna lose my spot on the balcony. Funny story.........TUI played right before Terror @ NEMHF, to who we did mosh. I actually DID get sucker punched in the jaw by some dick who wasn't even moshing. Hurt to chew for almost a week. Then last month I fucked my knee up (sprained MCL, damaged miniscus) moshing to Cruel Hand, who was opening for Terror. I mosh no more!

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 11:24 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/This-is-Where-it-Ends.jpg
All Shall Perish
This Is Where It Ends

These guys are really good. Yeah, they're deathcore, but whatever. I fucking love this album. The opening track, Divine Illusion, is one of the most brutal songs of 2011 IMO. <YOUR GOD CAN'T SAVE YOU..DUNDUNDUNN....jokes here>. There are a couple songs that can be annoying, as they have some wank-ass whiny tech guitars, but those couple don't over shadow the fuck that this album kills all the way through. Awesome solos and rythyms, and their vocalist is pretty solid, has some great range. My only other complaint is the production. Sound quality ain't the best. Overall though, my "most played" album of 2011.

street_burial
12-22-2011, 11:34 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/This-is-Where-it-Ends.jpg
All Shall Perish
This Is Where It Ends

These guys are really good. Yeah, they're deathcore, but whatever. I fucking love this album. The opening track, Divine Illusion, is one of the most brutal songs of 2011 IMO. <YOUR GOD CAN'T SAVE YOU..DUNDUNDUNN....jokes here>. There are a couple songs that can be annoying, as they have some wank-ass whiny tech guitars, but those couple don't over shadow the fuck that this album kills all the way through. Awesome solos and rythyms, and their vocalist is pretty solid, has some great range. My only other complaint is the production. Sound quality ain't the best. Overall though, my "most played" album of 2011.

Fuck yeah! :shred:

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2011, 08:41 PM
5 Worst Albums

http://www.metalinjection.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Megadeth_-_TH1RT3EN.jpg
Megadeth
TH1RT3EN

First off, I don't think this is a BAD album. However, I am disappointed w/ it, therefore it's on this list. I really liked Endgame, United Abominations and The System Has Failed. This album doesn't come anywhere close to it. Other than Sudden Death and Never Dead, I really don't listen to this album anymore. Most songs don't even classify as metal, and some tunes, like Drugs, Guns, and Money are just straight cheese. Nothing stands out on this album other than the 2 aforementioned tunes, and Megadeth's live performances have been shit as well. Big disappointment.

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2011, 08:47 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QA-JlcSkhs0/Tola9OEj5cI/AAAAAAAAAI8/wPzHAJScAUE/s1600/full_Trivium_InWaves_650px.jpg
Trivium
In Waves

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this album. Their last 2 records IMO were great. The Crusade and Shogun were both excellent, yet quite different, albums. That made me uneasy for this one. When I heard the 1-off they did, Shattering The Skies Above, I was excited. I really liked that song. Then the title track streamed, and while I didn't dig it as much as Shattering, I still liked it. I definately had hope for the album, then I checked it all out upon it's release. Don't get me wrong, there are some good songs on this album. The title track, Dusk Dismanted, and 2-3 towards the end are decent. But overall, this album is a huge disappointment to me. Nowhere near as heavy as any of their previous releases, too many whiny vocals, and certain sections on at least 4 songs are such arena rock cheese, I almost threw up.

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2011, 08:55 PM
http://mp3musicmatrix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/wpid-Winds_Of_Plague_2011_Against_The_World.jpg
Winds of Plague
Against The World

Most people here hate Winds Of Plague, but I really enjoyed their 1st 2 albums. I actually bought this album, as I was really looking forward to it. Big mistake. Their cheesy ass single, Refined In The Fire, actually made me excited for the release. For whatever reason, I like that song. That's the ONLY highlight of this album. First off, the production is awful. All instruments are blended together, and NOTHING sticks out. Even the keyboards are low in the mix. And didn't this band use to be a little technical? Their first 2 albums (especially Decimate The Weak), had some solid techincal riffs throughout. They are nowhere to be found on this album. So much DUNDUNDUNNNNDADADADUNDUNDUN riffs, they only thing seperating them from simple doo doo deathcore is some lame ass keyboards. On a plus note, I saw WOP twice this year, and they're still a great live band.

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2011, 08:59 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/The-Haunted-Unseen.jpg
The Haunted
Unseen

This album was so bad, I couldn't bring myself to listen to the whole thing. I mean seriously, what is this? It's an alternative album. What happened to these guys? They must be looking for record sales. I hope this album sold like shit.

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/killacopcop.jpg

Big suprise, huh?

BloodoftheKings
12-23-2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/killacopcop.jpg

Big suprise, huh?

:lol:

MPF
12-23-2011, 09:30 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/The-Haunted-Unseen.jpg
The Haunted
Unseen

This album was so bad, I couldn't bring myself to listen to the whole thing. I mean seriously, what is this? It's an alternative album. What happened to these guys? They must be looking for record sales. I hope this album sold like shit.

As much as I hate this album, The City is a good song.

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2011, 09:35 PM
As much as I hate this album, The City is a good song.

True, I don't mind that song.

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2011, 11:09 PM
5 Worst Concerts (or Individual Performances)

Bury Your Dead - New England Metal and Hardcore Fest : April 15

I was really looking forward to this, as Mat coming back to BYD was in my eyes, saving the band. That shit they were doing w/ Myke was just awful. It was Mat's 1st show w/ the band in 6 years, it was their new drummer's 1st show, combined w/ massive weight gain by both Slim and Mat, the band both sounded and looked like shit. They played without much energy; their drummer fucked up, a lot; the Palladium's PA sucked which made it that much worse, and Mat forgot the vocals a few times and instead made "sounds". Forgetting the lyrics does happen occasionally, so I will forgive him, but it happened at least 5 times. Also (and he did this even before he quit in '06), he just got plain lazy w/ some of the lyrics. His gruff ass barks were sort of just, spoken in a deep voice, I guess would be my best description.

I know this show got great reviews, even by some people here. I guarantee I was drunker than most of them, so it wasn't booze making them enjoy it more. Not sure why people thought it was great. An idea of how bad they look:

http://www.mediaskarerecords.com/mainsite/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Screen-Shot-2011-09-28-at-4.09.56-PM.png

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Oceano - New England Metal and Hardcore Fest : April 16

The only reason this isn't higher is because the set, thank God, was only 20 minutes. I knew these guys are bad, but I didn't realize their live show would be this awful. First of all, there was NOTHING differentiating any song. It all sounded the same, everything. Secondly, they are lifeless on stage except for the lead singer. Third, their lead singer is a dick. He kept telling everyone in front to turn around and push the person behind them towards the back barrier. He said (and this is the God's honest truth) he wanted to "hurt the people in back who weren't moshing". Seriously. He wanted people to actually hurt others. That's not just being a dick, that shows he is a sick human being. Then he kept saying shit afterwards like "fight for your fucking life". Yeah, real tough guy he is. I'd like to meet him alone w/o any cops around, we'll see how tough he really is. And their bass player (or maybe guitar player, whoever the fat guy is) is probably the laziest person under 40 in a metal band I've ever seen on stage. He did not move once. His only movement was slowly bobbing his head all the way down and up. And between songs he'd flip off the crowd. Yeah, real cool, buddy.

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Summer Slaughter - Montreal : August 10

It wasn't any individual performance, it was just the overall experience. First off all, the tix were $40 (shows are always more expensive in MTL), and combined w/ gas, $60 went into getting to the show. The traffic getting into the city was horrendous. It usually takes me about 80 minutes to get to downtown MTL, if I don't run into a shitload of traffic. Took me close to 3 hours.

Now onto the actual show. I'm a Six Feet Under fan, not a huge one, but I like a few of their albums. I have never seen them before and was looking forward to it. As is often the case in Montreal, the band couldn't make it. Had to sit through a couple bands I didn't care for. That's normal, but it certainly didn't help this show. To top it all off, Whitechapel, the co-headliner, played a whole fucking 37 MINUTES. Gee, thanks genius' behind this tour. The only thing that was good about this show was Dying Fetus killed it, as always. So combining the $ I spent, SFU not being there, WC playing a short ass set, traffic, it was just a waste of $ and time. As much as I love Dying Fetus, they certainly aren't worth that much time and $ for a 9 song set.

jhdeity
12-24-2011, 01:12 AM
very entertaining thread. we share 4 of the same 5 biggest dissapointments

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2011, 02:03 AM

Born Of Osiris - New England Metal and Hardcore Festival : April 16

First, I will give this young band credit, they are very talented musicians. My praise ends there. The first time I saw them, they sucked. This show was exacerbated by the fact their set was longer this time.

I hate their music, I hate the gay ass crabcore way they move on stage, I hate the way they dress (like fags), and I especially hate their keyboard player. Little ass young punk who probably barely bench presses the bar, walking around stage throwing his arms up to the crowd like he was a black gangster. I have no problem w/ African American's, but I despise when people try to be something they aren't. I wanted to leap from the balcony and clothesline his ass Kane style from the top rope, well balcony in this case :lol:. Fucking punk. They were awful. Very lifeless on stage for being so young, and they sound even worse live than do on record, cause you can't decifer anything. Both times I;ve seen them, everything has sounded the same, almost as similar as Oceano's songs sounded. They had nothing going for them that night. While the crowd seemed to dig them, they had absolutley no stage "prescence".

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2011, 02:08 AM

Megadeth - Mansfield, MA : July 22

I had actually never seen Megadeth live till last year. I had heard mixed reactions to their live performances ranging from shit to wonderful. When I actually did see them (Glens Falls - August 2010), I thought they were very good, and I had a great time and got a great video. This time, not so much............

.........I understand Dave has had some health issues. Still. Just, abysmal. No one in the band played with any energy. I know they're in their 40's. Then again, see Cannibal Corpse, Kerry King, various hardcore bands, etc. The band itself just didn't seem to be in sync with each other. Not that they were physically "out of sync", but they just didn't sound right. And as far as the individuals, all 4 of them lacked intensity, severely. Dave's much maligned voice was even worse than usual. He sounded absolutely terrible. Show was so bad I considered taking down my YT vids from the show.

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2011, 02:10 AM
very entertaining thread. we share 4 of the same 5 biggest dissapointments

Great minds think alike. I see you're seeing Biohazard in Feb. Have fun, DFL!

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2011, 03:52 AM
Top 10 Concerts

Malevolent Creation + Full Blown Chaos : Feb 15 @ Daniel ST Club - Milford, CT

Took a road trip for this one. Had been waiting forever to see Malevolent Creation, and had seen FBC before, and they were great live. MC definately didn't disappoint. Their set was short, ~45 minutes, but they killed. All the guys were tight, the venue for being a small club, had a suprisingly good PA system. The setlist itself had some great tunes, and their performance of Malevolent Creation was fuckin epic. Brett Hoffman can still pull off some amazing screams, even live. And to top it off, FBC set the stage well, they were also great. I've attached some clips.

Malevolent Creation - Eve Of The Apocalypse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqyDDQd5uzk)
Malevolent Creation - Malevolent Creation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKlTgtEpplU)

Full Blown Chaos - Heavy Lies The Crown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpb5a0Ah40A)

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2011, 04:18 AM

Agnostic Front : October 16 @ Foufounes Electriques - Montreal, QC

This concert was such a suprise. The last time I saw AF (April '09), Roger looked tired, sounded like shit, and most of the band lacked energy. This show was so much different. As always, the PA @ Fouf's was great, the band played w/ TONS of energy, and Roger was his usual self. Yeah, he's getting up there in age and looks rough, but he sounded awesome and was all over the stage. The setlist was great, the crowd was into the show, just an overall great show. Clips below:

Victim In Pain / Blind Justice / Last Warning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmkOhOxlc2Y)
United and Strong + Your Mistake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ipo4b5tKs0)
Riot, Riot Upstart + That's Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46C60u4Vle4)

mastodon421
12-24-2011, 04:57 AM
I was at NEMHF and Mayhem, I couldn't disagree more about Born Of Osiris and (especially) Megadeth. It was also my first time seeing Megadeth and they really impressed me. They were actually one of my top performances of the year.

jhdeity
12-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Great minds think alike. I see you're seeing Biohazard in Feb. Have fun, DFL!

Hell yeah man. Let me know if you get some good video

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I was at NEMHF and Mayhem, I couldn't disagree more about Born Of Osiris and (especially) Megadeth. It was also my first time seeing Megadeth and they really impressed me. They were actually one of my top performances of the year.

Well, agree to disagree. I can understand w/ BOO. I hate their music and them as individuals, so that certainly contributed. But Megadeth in Mansfield..........man.............maybe you were in the pit or something. Cause that show blew from the seats. My 3 friends, none of whom had seen MD before, all asked me if MD always sucked live.

Hell yeah man. Let me know if you get some good video

I definately will man.

hellawaits77ny
12-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Deicide - Feb 23, 2011 : @ Cafe Campus - Montreal, QC

Another band I had been waiting for a while to see, they definately didn't disappoint. Well, Jack and Ralph are corpses on stage, but they were tight as hell. Great atmosphere at the show, Glen's vocals were good, and everything sounded great. Even thought I knew the setlist in advance from other shows, it was still great to see so many classics, and a good mix of newer tunes. Got hammered before and had a good time w/ a couple friends at the venue. Cool venue, too. Not a lot of concerts at this place, which is a shame. Glen went on a couple funny rants between songs, he can be an idiot, but he;s also pretty funny. Just a great show. Some clips below.

Rant + Desecration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CfoCRCmDCw)
Into The Darkness You Go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_KFSISfpk)
Lunatic of God's Creation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVEkqcvFuYE)

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Kataklysm + All Shall Perish - March 20 : @ Club Soda - Montreal, QC

THis was the last show of the tour, it was in Kataklysm's hometown, and they were filming a video for their new single, so I knew it would be a great show. I hadn't seen Kataklysm since '07, and while I much prefer their older stuff, I think they're a great live band. Combining that w/ ASP being one of my favorite bands, I was psyched for this show, and it didn't disappoint. Club Soda was packed, probably close to sold out, and the crowd was really into both bands. Both bands played w/ a lot of energy and sounded great. Kataklysm played for almost 90 minutes. That should be a normal length for a headliner, but with how short shows are today, that was a real treat to see. While their set was predictable, it was still a great show. ASP's set had a couple minor suprises, and they played for over 40 minutes, which I can except for an opener.

Kataklysm - Crippled and Broken (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D80hJGRSQl7Y&sa=U&ei=pEz5ToDsNMP3rQeKmZ3hDw&ved=0CBEQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHM8WswVeCL1fDydGupN4utkYmPgg)

All Shall Perish - Divine Illusion (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DkUSgrXWuWNM&sa=U&ei=CU35TsfkIMjXrQft5dXeDw&ved=0CBIQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHnH1bGILeF2Nxv9r8QkX-yiUce0Q)
All Shall Perish - Wage Slaves (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D-b6cJEkGnPI&sa=U&ei=7kz5TtLAPMjsrAft2uz9Dw&ved=0CBEQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNH6On_di-rb63w1AlcQiyJHppYBaQ)

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Slayer - July 20 : Sovereign Center - Reading, PA

Long ass road trip for this one. Don't know how much longer the ol' dudes will be around, so I gladly took this trip. It was the first show of the tour w/ Rob Zombie, so I wasn't sure what the setlist would be. I think it can really make the show better when you don't know the setlist, and you're pleased w/ it. Slayer sounded great, their light and smoke show was better than usual, the crowd had good energy, and the Tom sounded FUCKING AMAZING. Had a fun time meeting up w/ a buddy from PA and pounding a few Beck's. I go to so many shows alone, it's become a treat when one of my friends comes w/ me, or I can meet up w/ a buddy from out of town. Just an overall great show, one of the top 3 Slayer shows I've been to.

World Painted Blood (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DFAStQAMzdXM&sa=U&ei=6U75TvHbCYfprAfhndzMDw&ved=0CCcQtwIwAjgK&usg=AFQjCNHhDv_gFlEU7ikW3nU54rZ8Da7USg)
Postmortem + Dittohead (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DxG5FL9RtNDs&sa=U&ei=wk75Tq-tIYjTrQe9h-nzDw&ved=0CBsQtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNF7txC3bxXIxyK0KVtSc-07HdNmxg)
Mandatory Suicide (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DrX5GJrAMLxk&sa=U&ei=6U75TvHbCYfprAfhndzMDw&ved=0CCEQtwIwADgK&usg=AFQjCNHO1p-Mg3lKCE0XX0kDdQVyJQCPGQ)
Black Magic (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DphFpgIXWVPk&sa=U&ei=Fk_5TsqICcbWrQfQirHRDw&ved=0CDkQtwIwCA&usg=AFQjCNFqpbb1xEgMN5lW8C5CLiwa2ebTIQ)

jhdeity
12-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Slayer - July 20 : Sovereign Center - Reading, PA

Long ass road trip for this one. Don't know how much longer the ol' dudes will be around, so I gladly took this trip. It was the first show of the tour w/ Rob Zombie, so I wasn't sure what the setlist would be. I think it can really make the show better when you don't know the setlist, and you're pleased w/ it. Slayer sounded great, their light and smoke show was better than usual, the crowd had good energy, and the Tom sounded FUCKING AMAZING. Had a fun time meeting up w/ a buddy from PA and pounding a few Beck's. I go to so many shows alone, it's become a treat when one of my friends comes w/ me, or I can meet up w/ a buddy from out of town. Just an overall great show, one of the top 3 Slayer shows I've been to.

World Painted Blood (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DFAStQAMzdXM&sa=U&ei=6U75TvHbCYfprAfhndzMDw&ved=0CCcQtwIwAjgK&usg=AFQjCNHhDv_gFlEU7ikW3nU54rZ8Da7USg)
Postmortem + Dittohead (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DxG5FL9RtNDs&sa=U&ei=wk75Tq-tIYjTrQe9h-nzDw&ved=0CBsQtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNF7txC3bxXIxyK0KVtSc-07HdNmxg)
Mandatory Suicide (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DrX5GJrAMLxk&sa=U&ei=6U75TvHbCYfprAfhndzMDw&ved=0CCEQtwIwADgK&usg=AFQjCNHO1p-Mg3lKCE0XX0kDdQVyJQCPGQ)
Black Magic (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DphFpgIXWVPk&sa=U&ei=Fk_5TsqICcbWrQfQirHRDw&ved=0CDkQtwIwCA&usg=AFQjCNFqpbb1xEgMN5lW8C5CLiwa2ebTIQ)

Great video of Kerry King shredding that solo in Black Magic

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Great video of Kerry King shredding that solo in Black Magic

Black Magic was epic that night!

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Metallica - 30th Anniversary Night 3 : December 9 : The Fillmore - SF, CA

I consider myself extremely lucky to have been able to attend 2 of the 30th Anniversary shows. Night 4 was better, but Night 3 was still amazing. The Metallica Museum was awesome, tons of cool stuff. When I get home, I will post some pics of some of the stuff. Night 3 had a solid setlist (as did all the shows), and some great guests such as Jerry Cantrell, Rob Halford, Pepper Keenan, and Glenn Danzig. I know some you elitists here will give me shit, but Metallica has the best fans in the world. I've never seen people so passionate about a band, it was a real treat to see. Unfortunately, I got busted filming, and only got the first 43 minutes, which of course were none of the rare songs! But the overall atmosphere of not just the show itself, but the pre-show parties, the Met Club gathering at Alcatraz, it was just a once in a lifetime experience and I'll never forget it!

...And Justice For All (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJiMKoHnI7g)
Of Wolf And Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMh3d8HvWw)

mankvill
12-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Metallica - 30th Anniversary Night 3 : December 9 : The Fillmore - SF, CA

I consider myself extremely lucky to have been able to attend 2 of the 30th Anniversary shows. Night 4 was better, but Night 3 was still amazing. The Metallica Museum was awesome, tons of cool stuff. When I get home, I will post some pics of some of the stuff. Night 3 had a solid setlist (as did all the shows), and some great guests such as Jerry Cantrell, Rob Halford, Pepper Keenan, and Glenn Danzig. I know some you elitists here will give me shit, but Metallica has the best fans in the world. I've never seen people so passionate about a band, it was a real treat to see. Unfortunately, I got busted filming, and only got the first 43 minutes, which of course were none of the rare songs! But the overall atmosphere of not just the show itself, but the pre-show parties, the Met Club gathering at Alcatraz, it was just a once in a lifetime experience and I'll never forget it!

...And Justice For All (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJiMKoHnI7g)
Of Wolf And Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMh3d8HvWw)

:party:

Of Wolf and Man is proabably my favorite Black Album track! Sounds punishing live.

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2011, 11:31 PM
:party:

Of Wolf and Man is proabably my favorite Black Album track! Sounds punishing live.

I agree, OWAM is a great tune. Probably my 2nd favorite, after The Struggle Within.

x-voltage
12-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Great thread so far man. I hated In Waves at first as well, and I'm a pretty big Trivium fan. But after 5 or 6 listens, I really like it. Some great guitar work on this album by Matt and Corey.

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Great thread so far man. I hated In Waves at first as well, and I'm a pretty big Trivium fan. But after 5 or 6 listens, I really like it. Some great guitar work on this album by Matt and Corey.

Thanks. Ya know, there really is some great guitar work. I guess what really kills that album for me are the arena rock-ish sections, and too many whiny, gay vocals.

hellawaits77ny
12-26-2011, 11:55 PM

The Big 4: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax : September 14 - Yankee Stadium

An epic day of metal. No particular set was anything amazing, but the overall atmosphere and aura of the show really made it special. Just like Metallica's 30 Year Anniversary, there were people from all over the world at this show. Seeing all these white metalheads on the train to Yankee Stadium, :lol::lol:. The locals were not impressed in the least!! Anthrax opened up w/ lot's of energy and got the crowd going, although thousands had yet to arrive. Megadeth was MUCH, MUCH better than they were earlier in the year at Mansfield (see earlier in thread - my worst show of the year). Dave's voice was actually listenable! Slayer was probably the best band of the night. Just as it was almost completely dark, the red lights hit the crowd and the Darkness of Christ intro starting. I get chills just thinking about it. And as was the case in Reading, Tom sounded awesome. I think how sounds as good now as he did in the late 80's. Seriously. Listen to some live recordings from the early 90's. He DEFINATELY sounds better now. Slayer killed as always. And of course, Metallica was Metallica. A long ass set as always, a decent setlist, and the fact that Yankee Stadium was fucking packed, was so awesome.

Megadeth
Sweating Bullets (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DsdpXEG0uImM&sa=U&ei=bnj5Tp6PL8nSrQe75rjkDw&ved=0CDUQtwIwBw&usg=AFQjCNHvqA0CfJ_ZpKtv0PZDDFgXlbCsaA)

Slayer
Disciple (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DQnIEGPrErfI&sa=U&ei=n3j5TvKvFcTJrAfqkf3aDw&ved=0CCUQtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNHMZc0OpKzz66JSaDKd7qH3CusDWw)
Psychopathy Red (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D0xLP-Epz2RQ&sa=U&ei=n3j5TvKvFcTJrAfqkf3aDw&ved=0CDEQtwIwBg&usg=AFQjCNHdbjCFXizJmWxYb462vlpBpag7_g)
Angel of Death (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dy7ULzXxKWLM&sa=U&ei=n3j5TvKvFcTJrAfqkf3aDw&ved=0CCgQtwIwAw&usg=AFQjCNEexTVIfB7uqsDsLrz6KqWXOO3_6w)

Metallica
Creeping Death (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DRZwKH2Ob4wI&sa=U&ei=_Xj5TvmGLcGzrAeWu6jxDw&ved=0CDsQtwIwCQ&usg=AFQjCNGvRvUr7ndk11457NVo8Yd5Uw5tMQ)
All Nightmare Long (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DqRS022k9_Is&sa=U&ei=_Xj5TvmGLcGzrAeWu6jxDw&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHkpAR5Xw0xjLDIU5BNWdFMpUjXaw)
Enter Sandman (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DafX4j6TDFwQ&sa=U&ei=_Xj5TvmGLcGzrAeWu6jxDw&ved=0CCMQtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNFa0YRuM6yEtwg0fMbs0nzy0v-wpQ)
Overkill (w/ members from all bands) (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DjY_iIkPttwA&sa=U&ei=_Xj5TvmGLcGzrAeWu6jxDw&ved=0CCYQtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNEMEMQMmvZuww6Udvo2AYVW5EZd3g)

hellawaits77ny
12-27-2011, 01:29 AM

Terror : NEMHF April 15 : @ The Palladium - Worcester, MA

This is the 2nd most intense show I've been to, as far crowd movement/moshing and shit (Slayer - Poughkeepsie '07 being the 1st). The Upstairs room at The Palladium supposedly has a capacity of 500, but it seems like it would hold less than that. We went up for Trapped Under Ice, and watched like 4 rows back from the tiny ass balcony, and the place was utter chaos during their set, so we knew what to expect from Terror. We moved down to floor, and it was suffocatingly (is that a word?) tight. Once I started moshing, most dudes stopped (I'm a big guy), but one guy, I could see the fucker outta the corner o' my eye, sucker punched me right in the jaw. Then took off. Piece o shit. The place soon after was just chaos everywhere. Scott was demanding that people dive not only from the stage, but from the massive speaker hanging from the roof. A bunch of people did, then some idiot young girl, probably 18-19 did a fuckin Swanton Bomb off of it, landing CLEAR on her head, knocking herself out cold. I'mm an EMT, so I was gonna help her, but before I could by buddy picked her up and carried her out to security. Nice guy, huh?

hellawaits77ny
12-27-2011, 11:09 PM

Metallica - 30th Anniversary Night 4 : Dec 10 @ The Fillmore - SF, CA

Another amazing night. Forgot to mention in the post about Night 3 that tickets were sold to people in 38 different countries. That's pretty fuckin cool if you ask me. Also, I have another thing to touch on in relation to Metallica fans being so passionate. This one dude behind would actually strat crying intermittently throughout the set. Never seen a male do that at a concert. This was the culmination of their Anniversary week, and the atmosphere was even more electric than Night 3. Setlist was good. I don't give a fuck what anyone here thinks, I like St Anger and was thrilled they played 2 songs from it. Was the best night of guests, too. In addition to Jason being there every night, Ozzy + Geezer Butler were there, along w/ Dave Mustaine and Ron McGoveny, and even Lloyd Grant (guy who played the solos in Hit The Lights on the original Metal Massacre compilation) played a couple songs at the end. A very, very cool way to end an amazing week of shows.

Rebel of Babylon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu-6-B6ioSU)
Dirty Window (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOZFwiSWfo)
Sabbra Cadabra w/ Geezer Butler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3EMs79QFds)
Whiplash w/ Jason Newsted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGc72PX8q0o)
Jump In The Fire w/ Dave Mustaine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9pJOv-jFCY)
Hit The Lights w/ Dave Mustiane, Ron McGoveny, Lloyd Grant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SejgLOqI_Ao)

mankvill
12-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Slayer
Angel of Death (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dy7ULzXxKWLM&sa=U&ei=n3j5TvKvFcTJrAfqkf3aDw&ved=0CCgQtwIwAw&usg=AFQjCNEexTVIfB7uqsDsLrz6KqWXOO3_6w)

Dat scream. :drool: He's still got it!

hellawaits77ny
12-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Dat scream. :drool: He's still got it!

Word :horns:

hellawaits77ny
12-28-2011, 02:10 AM

Biohazard -NEMHF : April 15 @ The Palladium - Worcester, MA

Part of this is the Biohazard fanboy that I am, but this really was the best show I went to this year, and one of the best I've ever been to. Biohazard doesn't play NA much (hence why I'm seeing them a bunch in Jan-Feb), and I had only seen them once before, so I was looking forward to this big time. Typical great energy out of the band. They sounded great, especially since other bands (even bands I liked) seemed to sound like shit over The Palladium's PA. It was a typical setlist, but it was a great one. They let people on stage about halfway through which was really cool. I was torn between continuing to stealth film from the balcony or run downstairs and hop on stage. Ended up continuing to film. Probably a good choice, as I was hammered. Probably woulda fallen and hurt myself, or punched someone. What's great about this band is that they (except Evan - who has since quit) really seem to enjoy playing live. I see a lot of bands, even bands who do indeed play w/ lot's of energy, seem to be just going through the motions. Wasn't the case here. A great show and a great weekend!

Howard Beach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYSBlNfD6pY)
Down For Life + Survival of The Fittest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mil-lVEj7a8)
5 Blocks To The Subway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c86NU_5Q5SA)
Punishment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Fji5msZ_M)
Hold My Own (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tno8yHGIeEM)

jd091
12-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Sweet lists, man! Agree on the TUI and Terror live reviews; great bands.

http://mp3musicmatrix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/wpid-Winds_Of_Plague_2011_Against_The_World.jpg
Winds of Plague
Against The World

Most people here hate Winds Of Plague, but I really enjoyed their 1st 2 albums. I actually bought this album, as I was really looking forward to it. Big mistake. Their cheesy ass single, Refined In The Fire, actually made me excited for the release. For whatever reason, I like that song. That's the ONLY highlight of this album. First off, the production is awful. All instruments are blended together, and NOTHING sticks out. Even the keyboards are low in the mix. And didn't this band use to be a little technical? Their first 2 albums (especially Decimate The Weak), had some solid techincal riffs throughout. They are nowhere to be found on this album. So much DUNDUNDUNNNNDADADADUNDUNDUN riffs, they only thing seperating them from simple doo doo deathcore is some lame ass keyboards. On a plus note, I saw WOP twice this year, and they're still a great live band.

I would have agreed with your points the week this album came out, but now, I have to disagree with everything you just said.

Think of it this way: Winds of Plague is no longer a Deathcore band. This album is not a deathcore album. It's Ignorant Wiggermosh, aka NU-METAL 2.0! Most of the breakdowns now are midpaced, strongly influenced by a hardcore vibe. The songs have ignorant and mindless lyrics, and are easy to mosh to. My least favorite songs on the album are actually the ones that sound the most Deathcore-y, like Most Hated or Monsters. Refined in the Fire, Drop the Match, and ESPECIALLY California are all the best songs. No joke. I was working out one day blasting California, and it all clicked in my head. It's cheesy, fun, and stupidly heavy hardcore, like 25 Ta Life or something. :lol: I'm probably the only person here that feels this way. Again... don't view it as deathcore.

hellawaits77ny
12-29-2011, 08:44 PM

I would have agreed with your points the week this album came out, but now, I have to disagree with everything you just said.

Think of it this way: Winds of Plague is no longer a Deathcore band. This album is not a deathcore album. It's Ignorant Wiggermosh, aka NU-METAL 2.0! Most of the breakdowns now are midpaced, strongly influenced by a hardcore vibe. The songs have ignorant and mindless lyrics, and are easy to mosh to. My least favorite songs on the album are actually the ones that sound the most Deathcore-y, like Most Hated or Monsters. Refined in the Fire, Drop the Match, and ESPECIALLY California are all the best songs. No joke. I was working out one day blasting California, and it all clicked in my head. It's cheesy, fun, and stupidly heavy hardcore, like 25 Ta Life or something. :lol: I'm probably the only person here that feels this way. Again... don't view it as deathcore.

Good points. But whatever it's considered, it still sucks to my ears.

jd091
12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Good points. But whatever it's considered, it still sucks to my ears.

Fair enough! Just giving my :2cents:

street_burial
12-29-2011, 09:47 PM

Biohazard -NEMHF : April 15 @ The Palladium - Worcester, MA

Part of this is the Biohazard fanboy that I am, but this really was the best show I went to this year, and one of the best I've ever been to. Biohazard doesn't play NA much (hence why I'm seeing them a bunch in Jan-Feb), and I had only seen them once before, so I was looking forward to this big time. Typical great energy out of the band. They sounded great, especially since other bands (even bands I liked) seemed to sound like shit over The Palladium's PA. It was a typical setlist, but it was a great one. They let people on stage about halfway through which was really cool. I was torn between continuing to stealth film from the balcony or run downstairs and hop on stage. Ended up continuing to film. Probably a good choice, as I was hammered. Probably woulda fallen and hurt myself, or punched someone. What's great about this band is that they (except Evan - who has since quit) really seem to enjoy playing live. I see a lot of bands, even bands who do indeed play w/ lot's of energy, seem to be just going through the motions. Wasn't the case here. A great show and a great weekend!

Howard Beach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYSBlNfD6pY)
Down For Life + Survival of The Fittest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mil-lVEj7a8)
5 Blocks To The Subway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c86NU_5Q5SA)
Punishment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Fji5msZ_M)
Hold My Own (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tno8yHGIeEM)

FUCK YEAH :fist::fist::fist:

hellawaits77ny
12-29-2011, 10:14 PM
FUCK YEAH :fist::fist::fist:

:rocker:

Was such a great show. I almost wish I hadn't drank so much Stoli O and Monster, so I could've gone on stage.

treghet
12-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Although the album saw a big stylistic change, I would still say they're a deathcore band. I mean, you know that "ignorant wiggermosh" is not a genre. ;) But yeah, they've pretty much gone that route. As for the music though, I think it was a disaster except for "Refined in the Fire". I think the band knows this too, since they only played two new songs when I saw them on Warped Tour. Take into consideration that the other 5 songs in their set were all from Decimate the Weak. I'm happy I saw them in their prime though, and got to hear "Anthems of Apocalypse" live.

hellawaits77ny
12-29-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm happy I saw them in their prime though, and got to hear "Anthems of Apocalypse" live.

That must've been sweet. DTW is a great album. What year was that, that they played Anthems?

They played 3 songs from Against The World when I saw them earlier this month. It's a shame they're down to 1 song from The Great Stone War. Not as good as DTW, but still a great album IMO.

treghet
12-29-2011, 10:54 PM
That must've been sweet. DTW is a great album. What year was that, that they played Anthems?

They played 3 songs from Against The World when I saw them earlier this month. It's a shame they're down to 1 song from The Great Stone War. Not as good as DTW, but still a great album IMO.

It was 2008. Their set was all of Decimate the Weak except for Unbreakable, if I remember correctly.

Yeah they should play more from The Great Stone War. I think I've only seen them play two songs from it. "Classic Struggle" would be cool live.

hellawaits77ny
12-29-2011, 10:59 PM
It was 2008. Their set was all of Decimate the Weak except for Unbreakable, if I remember correctly.

Yeah they should play more from The Great Stone War. I think I've only seen them play two songs from it. "Classic Struggle" would be cool live.

Nice. Yeah when I saw them in '09 on the Atticus Metal Tour, they played like 8 songs, and all were DTW songs, which was cool.

And as a side note, I left before Emmure ;)

hellawaits77ny
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Bored, so I thought I'd include some honorable mentions (in no particular order unless noted).

Top Albums - Honorable Mention

http://www.webofmetal.com/images/products/carnival-is-forever-decapitated/carnival-is-forever-decapitated.jpg?1311463232
Decapitated
Carnival Is Forever

While I'm not a fan of the new vocalist, I still liked this album quite a bit. Typical great musicianship from Vogg and crew. There are some really, really good riffs all over the place on this album. There is some filler toward the end, but songs like The Knife, the title track, and Homo Sum are quality tracks all the way around. As a side note, I've heard from a couple people that their new lead singer is awful live :bouville:

hellawaits77ny
01-01-2012, 10:26 PM
http://thedailyrotation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Pathology-Awaken-To-The-Suffering.jpg
Pathology
Awaken To The Suffering

I didn't hate their last album (and I've never checked out any earlier stuff) but I didn't really like it a whole lot either. I saw these guys open for Grave, and they played a few songs from this album. They sounded good, so I checked it out. It's solid, quality grindcore. Like much grindcore, the songs can be difficult to distinguish the first few listens, but there are a select few that are especially good. Ingestion of Creation is probably the best song. It has a great main riff, one of my favorites from 2011. Medica Consumption is another good one.

hellawaits77ny
01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/jfac_gloom.jpg
Job For A Cowboy
Gloom (EP)

Let the shit start. I really prefer the direction they went w/ Ruination, so after the first few listens, I was disappointed by this EP. It grew on me quite a bit though. Solid (almost technical?) death metal. As I said, I prefer the more straight forward death metal approach they took on Ruination, as they tried to get a little too technical and pretentious here IMO. Still a good listen. Signature of Starving Power is a solid track, vocal-wise my favorite song on the EP. Plastic Idols, for whatever reason, reminds me of the opening to Slayer's 'Show No Mercy'. JFAC seems to be losing quite a bit of their following (AKA all the dumbass deathcore kids don't like them anymore), so it will be interesting to see what they do with their full length, due later in 2012, I guess.

jd091
01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Pathology are a solid slam band. Never have a problem watching them open.

hellawaits77ny
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/0/2/9/302948.jpg
Origin
Conceiving Death

A band I had never heard of, let alone checked out, until this year. Thank you, metalsetlists.com :D. Great death metal. The production on this album is just the way I like it. Crystal clear, but not overdone. Perfect! A great mix of technical and brutal death metal. After checking out this album and some of their past work, I'm even more bummed I couldn't see these guys open for Hate Eternal over the summer. I love how the opener starts off at 1000 mph, no intro, no buildup, just in your face. Conceiving Death is another great track.

hellawaits77ny
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Honorable Mentions - Worst Albums

http://c438342.r42.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Lou-Reed-Metalica-Lulu-cover.jpg
Lulu
This almost made my top 5. In the end, I just KNEW it would be a piece of shit, so I expected nothing from it, wasn't bothered when I heard it, etc. I just knew it would be garabge, therefore I'm not disappointed. W/ that being said, it's just awful, awful, awful.

hellawaits77ny
01-02-2012, 12:16 AM
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/btbam_cover.jpg
Between The Buried And Me
Hypersleep Dialogues

I hadn't listened to much of their stuff other than the Silent Circus, and a few songs from their covers album. I liked a lot of it (except their butchering of Cemetery Gates. UGH!!), so when I read the reviews about this EP, talking about how amazing it was, how any metal fan will love it, it's awesome, it's the best thing to happen to metal in years, blah blah blah, I was excited to check it out. I hated it. I just can't really get into progressive metal, or whatever it is these guys are. I have all the respect in the world for them as musicians, because they're quite talented. I just think of Mordecai when I hear their name. Most people will disagree, but I can't stand any of this EP (or any of their post 2007 stuff) compared to Mordecai and a few others from The Silent Circus.