PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (12/14/12) - trailer released!

Maideneer
12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
http://youtu.be/G0k3kHtyoqc - in HD no less. There is a god, I'm convinced now.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
12-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Looks cool. I'm sure I'll see it but it's hard to get excited about a movie that doesn't come out for another year.

SomewhereInTime72
12-21-2011, 02:58 AM
I never liked The Hobbit quite as much as the LOTR trilogy, but this does look pretty cool. I'll be seeing if for sure.

powerslave_85
12-21-2011, 03:16 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

jd091
12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
At first I was like:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu0j2oz6os1qzvyc8.gif

But now, I'm kind of a little disappointed. I just have this feeling deep in my gut that these movies are only gonna be a shadow of the greatness that was LOTR.

adamclark52
12-26-2011, 08:58 PM
It's got a lot to live up to. I did prefer the Hobbit to the LoTR as a book. It was a little more childish, as I can see in the trailer. And 2012 is a totally different market than 2001 was, so who knows who the makers will try to cater to.

However, Peter Jackson is such a huge fan that I can't see him fucking it up one bit.

maidenpriest
01-18-2012, 09:52 PM
I think the feel of this movie will be along the same lines of LotR. Like parts are obviously more childish like the party scene but I did not expect the dwarves singing so solemnly. And with Thorin telling Gandalf that he wouldn't be responsible for Bilbo, i have high hopes for this movie.

Dextrimental
01-18-2012, 09:54 PM
I'll get excitedabout this for real in December, but that trailer definitely bodes well for it!

IrritatedTrout
12-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Saw it this afternoon, it was great! Anyone want to have a nerdy discussion about what you liked, didn't like, how it was different from the books, etc?:D

powerslave_85
12-15-2012, 05:42 PM
I saw it last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it; I unanimously disagreed with the criticisms of most of the reviews I read. I also saw it in 48fps, which was pretty impressive IMO. There were one or two scenes where it made the CGI look really bad, but otherwise I thought it was cool-looking.

IrritatedTrout
12-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Is it in that format in every theater? I don't know anything about that kind of stuff.

My favorite part was the meeting in Rivendell between the wizards, Elrond, and Galadriel. It felt just like something out of LOTR. I really like how they're tying this movie in even closer to LOTR with the idea that attacking Smaug is a preemptive strike against Sauron's potential capabilities.

PowerMaiden
12-16-2012, 10:03 AM
saw it yesterday, pretty good

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

powerslave_85
12-16-2012, 10:05 AM
No, only about 400 theaters are showing it in 48fps.

IrritatedTrout
12-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Ah, ok.

I think I'm probably gonna go see it again for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

adamclark52
12-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm not a huge Tolkin fanboy but I thought it was fantastic. I can remember reading the Hobbit and thinking it would make a better movie than the LotR's. I was skeptical about stretching it out over three movies but what they added was fine by me. I don't remember the Stone Giants or the Brown wizard being in the book. The only part I didn't really like was the cheap CGI of Smaug at the end. And the battles didn't have that overwhelming build that the ones in any of the LotR trilogy did.

I'm interested if they incorperate Gollum into the next two movies in anyway. A lot of casual viewers will want to see him.

Laugh all you want, but during Frodo and Bilbo's scene at the beginning I welled up a little. I don't fucking care; he's Frodo and he fucking rules.

IrritatedTrout
12-16-2012, 01:31 PM
The stone giants are in it but if I remember correctly they're far off and throwing rocks at each other that inadvertently hit near the company instead of them being right on the damn things. :lol: The ending with Smaug was exciting because I wanted to see him but yeah, it didn't look the best.

adamclark52
12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
I still give it a 10/10.

powerslave_85
12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
I can really only think of one way that they could incorporate Gollum into the next two movies, and if they did it, it wouldn't be till the third one probably.

adamclark52
12-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I can really only think of one way that they could incorporate Gollum into the next two movies, and if they did it, it wouldn't be till the third one probably.

What are you thinking?

powerslave_85
12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Ah, nevermind. I was thinking they might show him being tracked down by Gandalf and Aragorn, but a.) there's no indication that Viggo Mortenson has a cameo in any of the films, and b.) I believe the timeline would put that in the events of the Fellowship of the Ring.

IrritatedTrout
12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
I was kind of expecting that the people on horseback slaying the orcs as the dwarves jumped into that hole that lead to Rivendell were going to be Aragorn and the rangers. That would have been cool.

adamclark52
12-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I think he'll still be in it in some capacity, be it a small scene showing him stalking Bilbo or a (less-likely) major scene. But whatever they do with him it'll probably still be good.

And I really wouldn't be surprised to see Aragorn, Arwin, Éomer or Théoden in it in some capacity. The first two especially. Since I've heard the third movie acts as more of a tie-in to the first trilogy it'll probably happen then.