PDA

View Full Version : Mastodon421's Big, Overblown, Overlong, End Of The Year Thread

mastodon421
12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Now that I am done my long papers for the end of the semester, I can start my end of the year thread. Here's what you can expect from my list

-My top 50 albums of 2011 (with write-ups!)
-A recap of the other albums I heard this year(no write-ups)
- Top 10 Best Performances Of The Year
-Top 5 Album Covers
-Witty Banter
-Bunched Panties

I will me making my first post in the next few hours, so stay tuned bitches!

dcmetal108
12-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Now that I am done my long papers for the end of the semester, I can start my end of the year thread. Here's what you can expect from my list

-Top 5 Album Covers
-Witty Banter
-Bunched Panties

I couldn't possibly remember every album I've heard this year.

El Gordo
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM

-Top 5 Album Covers
-Witty Banter
-Bunched Panties

:party:

mastodon421
12-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Alright, let's get this show on the road. Here is a list of all of the albums I heard this year that did not make the top 50 (from worst to best).

92.Metallica/Lou Reed-Lulu
91.Emmure-Speaker Of The Dead
90.The Crimson Armada-Conviction
89.Incubus-If Not Now, When?
88.Morbid Angel-Illuid Divinum Insanus
87.Rings Of Saturn-Embryonic Anomaly
86.Black Tide-Post Mortem
85.Rise Against-Endgame
84.Limp Bizkit-Gold Cobra
83.Five Finger Death Punch-American Capitalist
82.Devin Townsend Project-Ghost
81.Suicide Silence-The Black Crown
80.Dream Theater-A Dramatic Turn Of Events
79.Jay-Z/Kanye West-Watch The Throne
78.Red Hot Chili Peppers-I'm With You
77.Winds Of Plague-Against The World
76.Bury Your Dead-Mosh N' Roll
75.Lazarus A.D-Black Rivers Flow
74.Wu-Tang Clan-Legendary Weapons
73.Harm's Way-Isolation
72.Betraying The Martyrs-Breathe In Life
71.Jedi Mind Tricks-Violence Begets Violence
70.blink-182-Neighborhoods
69.The Devil Wears Prada-Dead Throne
68.In Flames-Sounds Of A Playground Fading
67.Molotov Solution-Insurrection
66.Toxic Holocaust-Conjure and Command
65.Saviours-Death's Procession
64.Jamey Jasta-Jasta
63.Death Grips-Exmillitary
62.Abysmal Dawn-Leveling The Plane Of Existence
61.Alkaline Trio-Damnesia
60.Title Fight-Shed
59.This Is Hell-Black Mass
58.Texas In July-One Reality
57.Cave In-White Silence
56.Primus-Green Nogalydte
55.Tyler, The Creator-Goblin
54.Vader-Welcome To The Morbid Reich
53.Sepultura-Kairos
52.Threat Signal-Threat Signal
51.Devildriver-Beast

Epidemic Reign
12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
So far so good ;)

mastodon421
12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
LET THE COUNTDOWN COMMENCE!

50.Crowbar-Sever The Wicked Hand
http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/files/crowbar%20-%20sever%20wicked%20hand.jpg

Pretty damn fine comeback album for Crowbar. Kirk Windstien can still churn out plenty of headbang-worthy riffs (that was kind of obivious considering how much of a legend he is and his recent work with Kingdom Of Sorrow). The one thing that prevents this album from being higher up is Windstien's vocals. It's surprising considering how much I love sludge, but I don't really like his vocals. He doesn't sound any worse than on past records, it's just a personal taste gripe. Still, this is a solid release that any classic sludge fan should enjoy.
Standout Tracks
1.The Cemetery Angels
2.As I Become One
3.Protectors of the Shrine

49.Touche Amore-Parting The Seas Between Brightness and Me
http://deathwishinc.com/estore/graphics/00000001/toucheamore.parting.hi.jpg

Screamo isn't a genre I normally enjoy, but Touche Amore is too damn good at it to be ignored. This is definitely a more catchy record than their debut, but it maintains the raw, real emotion that makes Touche Amore a standout of the genre.
Standout Tracks
1.Method Act
2.Wants/Needs
3.Art Offical

OraclesofAgony
12-13-2011, 07:00 PM
92.Metallica/Lou Reed-Lulu
91.Emmure-Speaker Of The Dead
86.Black Tide-Post Mortem
84.Limp Bizkit-Gold Cobra
83.Five Finger Death Punch-American Capitalist
81.Suicide Silence-The Black Crown
77.Winds Of Plague-Against The World
69.The Devil Wears Prada-Dead Throne

These albums fall into my category of "Albums I didn't have to listen to to know that they are shit".

mastodon421
12-13-2011, 07:11 PM
These albums fall into my category of "Albums I didn't have to listen to to know that they are shit".

:lol: A few of them (Emmure, Limp Bizkit, Five Finger Death Punch) I listened to as a joke. I listened to Lulu just to see how bad it actually was.

larvtard
12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
LET THE COUNTDOWN COMMENCE!

50.Crowbar-Sever The Wicked Hand
http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/files/crowbar%20-%20sever%20wicked%20hand.jpg

Pretty damn fine comeback album for Crowbar. Kirk Windstien can still churn out plenty of headbang-worthy riffs (that was kind of obivious considering how much of a legend he is and his recent work with Kingdom Of Sorrow). The one thing that prevents this album from being higher up is Windstien's vocals. It's surprising considering how much I love sludge, but I don't really like his vocals. He doesn't sound any worse than on past records, it's just a personal taste gripe. Still, this is a solid release that any classic sludge fan should enjoy.
Standout Tracks
1.The Cemetery Angels
2.As I Become One
3.Protectors of the Shrine

49.Touche Amore-Parting The Seas Between Brightness and Me
http://deathwishinc.com/estore/graphics/00000001/toucheamore.parting.hi.jpg

Screamo isn't a genre I normally enjoy, but Touche Amore is too damn good at it to be ignored. This is definitely a more catchy record than their debut, but it maintains the raw, real emotion that makes Touche Amore a standout of the genre.
Standout Tracks
1.Method Act
2.Wants/Needs
3.Art Offical

I feel the same way about both albums, actually :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
12-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Crowbar didn't make it to my top 25 but personally I think they should be significantly higher than 50 too. ;)

mastodon421
12-14-2011, 06:43 AM
48.TesseracT-One
http://www.411mania.com/411mania_images/music/phpuxasqbpm.jpg

I have warmed up alot to this record since the first time I heard it. The vocals are pretty interesting and there is some intricate and interesting guitarwork in places. Hell, there are moments of complete greatness on this album. Even though I like the album more now, I still have one complaint, this band isn't really living up to their potential. There a lot of moments of great bulid-up with a dissapointing payoff. That being said, I am very excited for what that band has in store for the future. Their live show was very good when I saw them open for BTBAM and I actually like Elliot Coleman's vocals more than Dan Tompkins's (I know I am in the extreme minority on that one). This is their first full-length album, so they have ample time to learn from their weaknesses and progress as a band (which I think will happen come the writing process for the next TesseracT album) is a band I will keeping a very close eye in the next few years and I hope their next album is as good as I am expecting it to be.
Standout Tracks
1.Concealing Fate Part Two-Deception
2.Concealing Fate Part Six-Origin
3.Concealing Fate Part Three-The Impossible

47.Megadeth-TH1RT3N
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FqSgxQhSIo8/TqQk79tJmMI/AAAAAAAAJzY/Jo1ko92Xx0w/s400/img-1000601-megadeth-th1rt3en.jpg

Although it's clearly rushed, it's still pretty good (Even if the best song, "Black Swan", was recorded five years ago). It shows how special of a band Megadeth when throw a record together in no time at all and it's still a solid release. It lacks the fire and songwriting of Endgame, but this is still another respectable release from Mustaine and Co.
Standout Tracks
1.Black Swan
2.Sudden Death
3.Fast Lane

imanidiot777
12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
47.Megadeth-TH1RT3N
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FqSgxQhSIo8/TqQk79tJmMI/AAAAAAAAJzY/Jo1ko92Xx0w/s400/img-1000601-megadeth-th1rt3en.jpg

Although it's clearly rushed, it's still pretty good (Even if the best song, "Black Swan", was recorded five years ago). It shows how special of a band Megadeth when throw a record together in no time at all and it's still a solid release. It lacks the fire and songwriting of Endgame, but this is still another respectable release from Mustaine and Co.
Standout Tracks
1.Black Swan
2.Sudden Death
3.Fast Lane

I didn't like this album at all. BIG step down from Endgame.

ravenheart
12-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I didn't like this album at all. BIG step down from Endgame.

Didn't think this was possible.

mastodon421
12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
46.The Black Keys-El Camino
http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/2011/10/12/The_Black_Keys_El_Camino_Album_Cover.jpg?131842847 4

I wasn't a Black Keys fan for a long time. I listened to their last record Brothers earlier this year and it didn't really click with me. I saw them on Saturday Night Live a couple of weeks ago and they were awesome. I went and downloaded El Camino afterwards and their music finally clicked with me. This is some pretty rocking blues rock. It reminds me of a more blues-driven version of The White Stripes. There are plenty of catchy tracks and riffs in the same vein as The White Stripes (adding to the White Stripes similarites is the fact they are also a duo ). El Camino finally made me a Black Keys fan and I plan on revisting their discography soon.
Standout Tracks
1.Lonely Boy
2.Little Black Submarines
3.Dead and Gone

45.Chimaira-The Age of Hell
http://www.revolvermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/46992_chimaira_the_age_of_hell.jpg?9d7bd4

The Age Of Hell is Chimaira's redemption album after their mediocre last effort The Infection. It brings back their groove/riff-oriented sound (as well the tasteful use of clean vocals which has been absent for a while) which they are far better than the experimental and boring sound on The Infection. What makes this album pretty impressive is that was almost entirely written and recorded by Mark Hunter and Rob Arnold. They were defintely dedicated to making this album, even with the lack of a full band. It's not quite up to the level of their first few records, but it's a welcome return to form for Chimaira.
Standout Tracks
1.Losing My Mind
2.Time Is Running Out
3.Clockwork

Dextrimental
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
I had the opposite effect with Chimaira, that record made me stop caring about them almost entirely..! I wanted to like it, I really did, but it really felt like Chimaira's time was up.. That Black Keys record is pretty good though!

BloodoftheKings
12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Didn't think this was possible.

It's very possible cause Endgame was the best Megadeth album since Countdown and your complaint about the songs being incoherent rants only applies to one song.

SomewhereInTime72
12-14-2011, 06:47 PM
It's very possible cause Endgame was the best Megadeth album since Countdown and your complaint about the songs being incoherent rants only applies to one song.

I concur.

mastodon421
12-15-2011, 09:22 AM

+1

mastodon421
12-15-2011, 09:44 AM
44.Dropkick Murphys-Going Out In Style
http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/exclusive-stream-new-dropkick-murphys-album-going-out-in-style-20110118/1000x306/main.jpg

Boston's finest celtic punk band returned with ther first full-length in four years this year. As usual, this is a combination of some catchy, frantic celtic punk that will get stuck in your head and make you want to have a good time and some well-written ballads to balance out the record. Like BloodOfTheKings stated in his write-up, I really couldn't tell this was a concept album. But there are some cool stories in the lyrics ("Sunday Hardcore Matinee" especially where they tell stories about their glory days seeing 80's hardcore punk bands like Bad Brains and Agnostic Front). Another fine effort from the Dropkicks and I'm beyond excited to see them live again in March (there is nothing like seeing them in Boston, it's fucking incredible).
Standout Tracks
1.Going Out In Style
2.Sunday Hardcore Matinee
3.Peg O' My Heart

43.Hate Eternal-Phoenix Amongst The Ashes
http://www.angrymetalguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Hate-Eternal.jpg

I had lost interest in Hate Eternal for a while after seeing them live and being incredibly bored. This album brought me back in though. It's heavy as fuck. It's evident that Erik Rutan and co. wanted to massacre the listeners right off the bat with the unholy opening trio of "The Eternal Ruler", "Thorns Of Acacia" and "Haunting Abound". The album does take a bit of a dip in quality in the middle, but makes up for it with the last few tracks. Rutan shreds on this entire record and rips out some of his most impressive solos to date. I would of have enjoyed this record more if I didn't hear so much "OMG, IT'S A FUCKING MASTERPIECE" talk about this record (it's not even close to a masterpiece, all the masterpiece talk makes this one of the most overrated records of the year imo). That being said, this is still an impressive record that made me want to listen to Hate Eternal again (still don't plan on seeing them live again anytime soon though).
Standout Tracks
1.Thorns Of Acacia
2.Haunting Abound
3.The Fire Of Resurrection

DethMaiden
12-15-2011, 10:06 AM
I hated the Dropkicks album. Waaaaaaay too many ballads and weepy funeral songs. Just rip my head off and stuff Guinness down my neck-hole, you schmucks.

jd091
12-15-2011, 10:17 AM
73.Harm's Way-Isolation

http://www.meh.ro/original/2009_12/meh.ro563.jpg

jd091
12-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm also sad that I'm the only one here who can truly appreciate the ignorant mosh perfection that is Speaker of the Dead. :tp:

mastodon421
12-15-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.meh.ro/original/2009_12/meh.ro563.jpg

Decent hardcore nothing more imo.

jd091
12-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Decent hardcore nothing more imo.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/dasimbaking21/Gifs/ChipperJones.gif

dcmetal108
12-15-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm also sad that I'm the only one here who can truly appreciate the ignorant mosh perfection that is Speaker of the Dead. :tp:

What about me.

xStructualDefect
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
You thought Suicide Silence's new album was that bad? Besides 2 mediocre/bad songs (You Only Live Once and Fuck Everything), I thought it was a solid album. They've progressed a lot as musicians. I agree with you that new Winds of Plague is pretty bad though.

mastodon421
12-15-2011, 03:23 PM
You thought Suicide Silence's new album was that bad? Besides 2 mediocre/bad songs (You Only Live Once and Fuck Everything), I thought it was a solid album. They've progressed a lot as musicians. I agree with you that new Winds of Plague is pretty bad though.

I thought most of The Black Crown was very subpar. I only hated 2 songs (Fuck Everything and You Only Live Once) and I only like 3 songs (Smashed, Witness The Addiction, and Cancerous Skies). I do agree with you that they have progressed as musicians, but Mitch's vocals have gotten worse. Not a bad album, but very meh.

The new Winds Of Plague was alright also, but it's by far their worst record.

dcmetal108
12-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I liked the new WOP alot actually. I feel though as if its almost slower though than previous albums by them.

christopher
12-15-2011, 05:54 PM

I'm surprised you didn't include the Jay-Z/Kanye West album in that category as well :lol:

mastodon421
12-17-2011, 05:41 AM
42.Becoming The Archetype-Celestial Completion
http://www.hopecore.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/BecomingTheArchetype-CelestialCompletion-2011.jpg

Becoming The Archetype is a god damn talented band (no pun intended ;). I had never actually taken the time to listen to them before Celestial Completion, but I now plan on checking out the rest of their albums (Apparently the consenus is that this is their worst record, if that's the case then their other records must be REALLY fucking good). This is some pretty damn fine progressive death metal with some metalcore undertones. Plenty of guitar solos, unique instrumentation/arrangment, and meancing screams combined with excellent clean vocals. Not an album for everyone, but I'm sure plenty of people on here would dig this record.
Standout Tracks
1.Path of the Beam
2.The Magnetic Sky
3.Elemental Wrath

41.Cannabis Corpse-Beneath Grow Lights Thou Shall Rise
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Qy61pVGL4bE/ThytdUBEEJI/AAAAAAAADGs/DFjS4sPJanw/s320/cc.jpg

I was skeptical to listen to this record at first. I thought this was going to be a metal version of the Kottonmouth Kings where it's just mindless, annoying songs about weed. To my surprise, this is a record strictly about weed that's very good. This is some catchy fucking death metal. You really don't hear death metal with good hooks, but Cannabis Corpse has them in droves. I was shocked that album worked as well as it did. Cannabis Corpse may be a joke band, but this is some very good death metal even with it's humorous nature and song titles.
Standout Tracks
1.Immortal Pipes
2.Blaze Of Torment
3.Chapel Of Bowls

jd091
12-17-2011, 10:38 AM

I liked the new WOP alot actually. I feel though as if its almost slower though than previous albums by them.

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed the new Winds of Plague after listening to it a ton. I approach it as a pseudo-hardcore album rather than a metal album, actually. Most of it is mid-paced breakdowns, a pretty big departure from their earlier deathcore stuff.

mastodon421
12-17-2011, 03:17 PM
40.Scale The Summit-The Collective
http://www.rocksound.tv/images/uploads/scalethesummitcd300.jpg

Scale The Summit is one of the finest instrumental bands around right now. They have an immense amount of talent and they are able to create some interesting landscapes with their music. The Collective has a much darker vibe than their previous records. It's slower, eerier, heavier, and bleaker than any of their prior work. A radical change in tone from the first two albums, but it's just as effective.
Standout Tracks
1.Gallows
2.The Levitated
3.Origin Of Species

39.Amon Amarth-Surtur Rising
http://www.onemetal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/surturrising.jpg

Amon Amarth may be one of the most consistent bands in metal, but Surtur Rising is their weakest effort since Fate Of Norns. That being said, it's still pretty fucking great. There is still plenty of sick riffs, Johann Hegg's pitch-perfect vocals, and catchy, melodic sections. "Tock Taunt-Loke's Treachery Part II" is actually one of my favorite Amon Amarth songs ever. Sadly nothing else is on that level, but tracks like "A Beast Am I" and "Destroyer Of The Universe" kick a whole lot of ass. It's no With Oden On Our Side or Twilight Of The Thundergod, but Surtur Rising is still solid melodic death metal.
Standout Tracks
1.Tock Taunt-Loke's Treachery Part II
2.A Beast Am I
3.Destroyer Of The Universe

AnataFan4Life
12-17-2011, 03:26 PM
No Black Hills?

mastodon421
12-17-2011, 06:10 PM
No Black Hills?

It's my 4th favorite song on the record. Still great though.

Rocco44
12-17-2011, 07:53 PM
That Scale The Summit record is criminally underrated. It's top 10 for me but still glad it made someone's list.

mastodon421
12-18-2011, 09:39 AM
38.Evan Brewer-Alone
http://www.mp3crank.com/cover-album/Evan-Brewer-Alone-300x300.jpg

Evan Brewer has to be one of the best bass players I've ever heard. You would not expect a strictly bass album to be this good. Brewer's ability is awe-inspiring. Throughout much of the album he is playing two basses at once which is nothing short of amazing. Aside from being an excellent bass player, he is also a talented songwriter. He keeps the album fresh throughout it's 32-minute duration. His style ranges from frantic slap-bass to jazz-fusion stuff. Brewer is an incredible talent and Alone shows that. I can't wait to hear what he is going to bring to The Faceless.
Standout Tracks
1.Actualize
2.Currency
3.Degenerate

37.Uneven Structure-Februus
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/6856/cover_19461012112011_r.jpg

France's Uneven Structure is one of my top discoveries of 2011. For those who don't know of them (I have never heard anyone on here mention them before), they are essentialy a more ambient version of a band like Textures or TesseracT. Februus is their debut album and I wouldn't be surprised if they blew up from it eventually. They have some really heavy sections mixed with some gorgeous melodies and haunting ambient sections. The vocalist, Mattheiu Romarin, is spectacular. He mixes really powerful clean vocals with a fericous scream. People will toss around the "djent" term when it comes to this band which really pisses me off because people will right them off because of that. Anyways, this is some pretty fucking strong progressive metal and I am excited for what these guys will do on their second album. A band to watch out for in the next couple of years. (MPF check these guys out ASAP if you haven't already, I have a feeling you would fucking love them).
Standout Tracks
1.Frost
2.Awaken
3.Buds

jd091
12-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I'll have to check out Uneven Structures. They sound right up my alley. I also really couldn't get into Evan Brewer at all; pretty boring to me.

mastodon421
12-18-2011, 07:17 PM
36.Ulcerate-The Destroyers Of All
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d64/30753_ulcerate_the_destroyers_of_all.jpg

Ulcerate is one of the most unconventional death metal bands around. They have a huge atmospheric/sludgey doom aspect in their sound which really sets them apart from pretty much every band in the genre. The Destroyers Of All is a dark, crushing record that manages to set a haunting atmosphere that will strike you upon each listen.
Standout Tracks
1.Dead Oceans
2.The Hollow Idols
3.Cold Becoming

35.Thomas Giles-Pulse
http://www.rocksound.tv/images/uploads/pulse300.jpg

Pulse is a fascinating, varied solo record from Between The Buried and Me frontman Tommy Rodgers. It tackles pretty much every genre in the book from ambient to electronic to country to metal. It's a record with a shitload of twists and turns, but most of all it's a showcase for Tommy's wide range of influences. It's cool to see Tommy do a record on his own from BTBAM and I would definitely like to see him do more solo stuff in the future.
Standout Tracks
1.Hamilton Anxiety Scale
2.Medic
3.Reverb Island

jhdeity
12-18-2011, 08:27 PM
cool list so far

hellawaits77ny
12-18-2011, 10:13 PM

I just can't get into WOP's new album. I like Refined In The Fire, that's about it. It has grown on me A LITTLE, but I still consider it their worst. 'TGSW' really grew on me, so I figure 'ATW' would, but it hasn't.

hellawaits77ny
12-18-2011, 10:15 PM
I agree w/ some of your points about Phoenix Amongst The Ashes. I like the record quite a bit, but I agree it's overrated. Definately a solid album, but even after the several times I've listened to the album, it's all so similar IMO.

mastodon421
12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
34.Atmosphere-The Family Sign
http://abovegroundmagazine.com/images/photographs/Atmosphere-family-sign-tracklist-cover-art-300x300.jpg

It's show how special of a group Atmosphere is when they release the worst full-length of their career and it's still very good. Slug is such a passionate storyteller with his lyrics. This is easily their most dreary and depressing release to date and he puts raw and real emotion into every single verse on the album. The addition of a full band contributing to the album make for some interesting arrangements that weren't previously possible. As usual, Ant shows he is the best producer in the rap game. He comes up with some of the most diverse and amazing beats in all of hip-hop on a consistent basis. There are some misfires ("She's Enough" and "Bad Bad Daddy" are probably the two worst songs of Atmosphere's career), but there is enough quality stuff on here to make this another worthwhile album from Atmosphere.
Standout Tracks
1.Millennium Dodo
2.My Notes
3.The Last To Say

33.Anthrax-Worship Music
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61fyxTx3arL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Words can't express how excited I was that Joey Belladonna was back on vocals for Worship Music. He has always been my favorite Anthrax vocalist (by far) and it had been WAY too long since he did vocals for them. Clearly I wasn't expecting another Among The Living or Spreading The Disease and I'm glad I didn't because Worship Music has very little in common with either of those records. This is a record much more rooted in traditional heavy metal than thrash and it works pretty fucking well for Anthrax. Belladonna sounds as good as ever as he tears through every track with the same manic energy he had in the 80's. Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano do a great job with the guitarwork, Charlie Benante is still a monster on the drums, and the production is top-notch. A very welcome return from Anthrax and I hope Belladonna stays with Anthrax on a permanent basis.
Standout Tracks
1.Earth On Hell
2.Fight Em' Till You Can't
3.I'm Alive

DethMaiden
12-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Fucking HATE The Family Sign. Worst hip hop record of the year. Half of it sounds like Everlast's "What It's Like." Milennium Dodo is the best track, you got that right, but on the whole I can't abide that album one bit.

mastodon421
12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
32.Origin-Entity
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d82/42255_origin_entity.jpg

Origin is a band that I didn't like a few years when I checked them out, but Entity clicked right off the bat. It might be the new vocalist or maybe my taste has changed drastically, but this is some great tech-death that finally clicks with me. It does get a little stale at times which brings it down a few notches, but when it's on it's very good stuff.
Standout Tracks
1.Expulsion Of Fury
2.Saliga
3.Banishing Illusion

31.Arsonists Get All The Girls-Motherland
http://preview.gomusicnow.com/5730312/cover.jpg

Here comes the first pick I expect to get a fair bit of shit for. Arsonists Get All The Girls has come so far from their early records it's scary. The strength of the strongwriting and new vocalist Jared Monette (who joined them on their last record Portals) are the big reasons why they have improved so much. Motherland retains the spastic sound they are known for while adding melodic riffing, great hooks, and some of the best keyboard use in all of metal. I hope people look over their stupid band name and song titles and actually check this record out. One of the most pleasant surprises of the whole year I really hope they keep up the sound on this record on their next record (which they just started writing).
Standout Tracks
1.Will Someone Please Turn Down The Ocean?
2.Tempest
3.Dr.Teeth

street_burial
12-20-2011, 08:28 PM
31.Arsonists Get All The Girls-Motherland
http://preview.gomusicnow.com/5730312/cover.jpg

Here comes the first pick I expect to get a fair bit of shit for. Arsonists Get All The Girls has come so far from their early records it's scary. The strength of the strongwriting and new vocalist Jared Monette (who joined them on their last record Portals) are the big reasons why they have improved so much. Motherland retains the spastic sound they are known for while adding melodic riffing, great hooks, and some of the best keyboard use in all of metal. I hope people look over their stupid band name and song titles and actually check this record out. One of the most pleasant surprises of the whole year I really hope they keep up the sound on this record on their next record (which they just started writing).
Standout Tracks
1.Will Someone Please Turn Down The Ocean?
2.Tempest
3.Dr.Teeth

:fist::shred:

jd091
12-20-2011, 09:32 PM
waitwaitwaitwaitwait

wait

you had Arsonists Get All The Girls above Origin?

And it's all the way down in #32?!

mastodon421
12-21-2011, 05:41 AM
waitwaitwaitwaitwait

wait

you had Arsonists Get All The Girls above Origin?

And it's all the way down in #32?!

God damn right;) I am actually surprised you were the only want to comment on that. I was expecting to get flamed really hard for that one.:lol:

Next post is coming in a few minutes.

treghet
12-21-2011, 05:47 AM
I didn't realize Arsonists Get All the Girls still existed.

mastodon421
12-21-2011, 06:09 AM
30.Children Of Bodom-Relentless Reckless Forever
http://www.angrymetalguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Children-Of-Bodom-Relentless-Reckless-Forever-Front-Cover-by-Eneas-300x300.jpg

I know I was one of the 12 people that really enjoyed this album. It might be because my expectations were so low or the fact that's it's 1000x better than Blooddrunk. I think this record brought back some of the fire that was missing from the past couple Bodom records. "Not My Funeral" put my worries about this album to rest very early on. I found myself surprised my how good most of the songs on the album were (with the exception of the subar "Was It Worth It?" and "Pussyfoot Miss Suicide"). Alexi Laiho sounds (and plays) a lot better due to his cutdown in partying. It's defintiely Bodom's best record since Hate Crew Death Roll (thought it's still not even close to as good as that record) and a step in the right direction to getting back to the glory days of the band.
Standout Tracks
1.Not My Funeral
2.Northpole Throwdown
3.Roundtrip to Hell and Back

29.Decapitated-Carnival Is Forever
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d37/44326_decapitated_carnival_is_forever.jpg

Note to Morbid Angel: This is how you make a comeback album. After 5 long years filled with trauma and hardship, Varg reformed Decapitated and made Carnival Is Forever. New vocalist Rasta and drummer Krimh do a great job at their respective positions. Rasta has been getting a fair bit of criticism for his vocals, but I thought he was a beyond serviceable replacement for Covan. You can't expect him to be exactly like Covan, those are big shoes to fill and he does a damn fine job. Varg does what he does best, write a bunch of killer riffs that range from very heavy ("United" "Pest") to utterly haunting ("A View From A Hole", "Carnival Is Forever"). Decapitated has returned in pretty great fashion. I am happy that two iconic death metal bands didn't let me down with their comeback albums this year.
Standout Tracks
1.United
2.A View From A Hole
3.Pest

treghet
12-21-2011, 06:43 AM
bleh to both of those.

mastodon421
12-21-2011, 07:45 AM
FYI: I'm posting my whole list on Facebook today, so if your friends with me on there and you haven't had bowel movement in a week due to the sheer anticpation, you can look it. If you don't want the surprise spoiled then don't look;)

I will post my next write-up in the next few hours.

mastodon421
12-21-2011, 11:25 AM
28.Havok-Time Is Up
http://www.angrymetalguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Havok-TimeIsUp.jpg

Havok is one of the most refreshing new thrash bands. They might not be my favorite new thrash act, but they sound the most like an old-school thrash band out of all the new thrash bands. These dudes sound like they came out straight out of the late 80's/early 90's. From start to finish, Havok rips your face off with some pretty killer thrash. There is plenty of old-school riffing, frenzied vocals, and blistering solos throughout it's duration. "Covering Fire" is amongst the best songs I have heard in 2011. Every time I hear it I just want to start moshing. Time Is Up is some great thrash that is near-impossible to not headbang to.
Standout Tracks
1.Covering Fire
2.No Amnesty
3.Prepare For Attack

27.Textures-Dualism
http://mymetalbin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Textures_Dualism_300.jpg

Textures is a seasoned band that I really didn't check out until this year. I am disapointed I didn't check them out sooner. They are a great mix of progressive, math, and death metal. The progressive elements shine above the rest. This is album is at it's best when new vocalist Daniel de Jongh is using his clean vocals. His clean are amongst the best in metal currently. They are chilling and beyond impressive ("Reaching Home" is especially powerful). The heavy sections are thrown in very effectively and timed brilliantly. I really need to check out their earlier stuff to see how it compares to Dualism.
Standout Tracks
1.Reaching Home
2.Singularity
3.Arms Of The Sea

hellawaits77ny
12-22-2011, 03:01 AM
I like your pick of Havok. Not a big fan of theirs, but they were one of my biggest live suprises this year. Saw them open for Malevolent Creation to some empty ass crowds, yet they still gave their all and turned in some great sets.

mastodon421
12-22-2011, 09:52 AM
26.Warbringer-Worlds Torn Asunder
http://metalfields.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/warbringer-worlds-torn-asunder.jpg?w=300&h=300

Worlds Torn Asunder isn't anything new for Warbringer, it's just a more foucused and better version of their music. The energy and utter fucking madness of their music is more amped up than ever. The only breaks in the breakneck speed are the melodic bursts on "Echos From The Void" and "Demonic Ecstasy". These sections are short, but serve as a nice break in the action from the fucking chaos of the rest of the record.Worlds Torn Asunder is the most furious, frenzied, and most importantly, best Warbringer record to date.
Standout Tracks
1.Echoes From The Void
2.Enemies Of The State
3.Demonic Ecstasy

25.The Human Abstract-Digital Veil
http://www.altrocklive.com/cd_review_images/human-abstract-the-digital-veil.jpg

The Human Abstract regrouped from the disapointing Midhaven in very impressive fashion with Digital Veil. The return of founding guitarist A.J Minette has a lot do with the triumphiant comeback. Digital Veil is full of technical, complex musicianship and great songwriting. The Human Abstract is at their finest during the instrumental sections of their songs. "Complex Terms" and "Faust" especially, feature some of the most impressive guitarwork that I've heard all year. Another step-up is the addition of vocalist Travis Ritcher (who actually left the band a few months ago, which is a damn shame). His screams are a big improvement over former vocalist Nathan Ellis and his cleans are pretty good as well (though they do grating at times). Hopefully The Human Abstract regroups and finds another vocalist. Digital Veil shows just how much potential this band and it would be a shame if this was their last record.
Standout Tracks
1.Complex Terms
2.Faust
3.Holographic Sight

DethMaiden
12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Nice incredibly literal cover art, Human Abstract. I l'd ol.

jd091
12-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Yeah... it's pretty terrible. :lol:

mastodon421
12-22-2011, 10:07 AM

It is an awful album cover:lol: Might be the worst I've seen all year.

mastodon421
12-22-2011, 06:47 PM
24.Grieves-Together/Apart
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/media/grieves_together_apart.jpg

Grieves is one of the finest rappers around today. Like his mentor Slug from Atmosphere, he captures raw emotion in his lyrics and you can hear the pain in his voice. His delivery is completely amazing. What makes Grieves really diverse is his frequnet use of experimentation. He sprinkles tasteful uses of soulful vocals throughout the album. Note to shitty mainstream rappers (**coughcough Drake**) this how you use singing effectively in rapping without sounding like a whiny bitch. His longtime producer Budo's jazz-influenced beats add another layer to Grieves's music to make it even more dynamic. Grieves is one of the most underrated rappers, if not the most underrated rapper in the game right now. His lyrics, beats, flow, and sincerity are all amazing. The dying art of hip-hop needs more rappers like Grieves.
Standout Tracks
1.Prize Fighter
2.Pressure Cracks
3.Sunny Side Of Hell

23.Animals As Leaders-Weightless
http://espressoquickie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/AALWeightless.jpg

Animas As Leaders is my favorite instrumental band. There is just something so magical about Tosin Abasi's guitar playing. Their second album, Weightless, only solidfies their reign on the top of the instrumental metal world. Weightless is not only better than their debut, it blows the fucking doors off of it. The songwriting and flow is SO much better than on the debut. There's an enchanced focus on melody on this record. Tosin really took more time with everything and it pays off big time. The fact that there is a real band playing behind him instead of just a drum machine helps alot as well. It gets rid of the somewhat artifical sound of the first album (so does the production, which is actually very good on this record). Kudos to Animals As Leaders on this record. Tosin is able to blend his mind-blowing solos with some immense and gorgeous melodies (the melodies and harmonies are so much stronger than on the debut). This is Animals As Leaders 2.0.
Standout Tracks
1.Cylindrical Sea
2.An Infinite Regression
3.Weightless

Rocco44
12-22-2011, 11:08 PM
I dig that AAL album quite a bit. Took a while to grow on me but I think I like it more than the debut although that album had more standout songs. I'll still take Scale the Summit and Russian Circles over them for instrumental stuff.

mastodon421
12-23-2011, 08:06 AM
22.Red Fang-Murder The Mountains
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KLC_du8Lcjs/TgpsUglMI2I/AAAAAAAAATU/LRPGwGy21Ks/s1600/red%2Bfang%2Bcover.jpg

This is easily the grower album of 2011. When I first heard it in April, I thought it was pretty good, but I wasn't overly impressed. Every time I listened to it, it grew on me more and more. It absolutely skyrocketed up my list after that. This is some god damn good stoner rock/metal. Red Fang drinks the riff juice. There is an assload of amazing riffs on this record that range from more rock-driven ("Wires, "Hank Is Dead") to straight-up heavy, sludge ("Malverde", "Into The Eye"). None of the riffs though are better than the one on the album's finest track "Dirt Wizard". It's the standout riff on album full of standout riffs. This record is also catchy as all hell. You wouldn't expect sludgey stoner rock to be catchy, but this album has so many hooks that get stuck in your head. Murder The Mountains absolutely eviscerates their debut and is probably one of the biggest grower albums I have ever heard.
Standout Tracks
1.Dirt Wizard
2.Malverde
3.Into The Eye

21.Landmine Marathon-Gallows
http://meatmeadmetal.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/lm-gallows-300x300.jpg

Landmine Marathon is back with another new record in 2011. Gallows is just as monsterous as last year's Soverign Descent, if not more so (Although Gallows is lower on my list this year than Soverign Descent was last year because of the insane quality of music in 2011.) As usual, Landmine Marathon just rips your fucking face with how heavy they are. In such a short time (around 30 minutes), they are abole to capture the brutality of a record that's twice as long. Grace Perry is such an evil and savage vocalist. She has never sounded better or more demonic than on this record. This is one of the most underappreciated active extreme metal acts and I hope someday they will get the praise and recognition they deserve.
Standout Tracks
1.Three Snake Leaves
2.Beaten and Left Blind
3.Cloaked In Red

mastodon421
12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
20.Septic Flesh-The Great Mass
http://www.rocksp.com.br/lancamentos/2009-2011/lancamentos_2011_05_septicflesh.jpeg

I can't believe this hasn't been on anyone else's list. I actually had never listened to Septic Flesh before this year. I checked them out because they were opening for Children Of Bodom and I had heard a lot of great things about them. The Great Mass instantly made me a fan. It's an immense album. This is symphonic death metal that sounds like the soundtrack to the apocalypse. It's evil yet oddly beautiful. The use of the full symphony enchances the music alot. It's just done on such a grand scale that makes it completely epic in sound. Septic Flesh blends the death metal and symphonic elements seemlessly. A must-listen for all fans of extreme metal.
Standout Tracks
1.Mad Architect
2.The Vampire Of Nazareth
3.Pyramid God

19.Beastie Boys-Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DflKLGarL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My intial reaction to Hot Sauce Committee Part Two was "Holy Shit, The Beastie Boys still have it. Currently, that's still exactly how I feel. The Beastie Boys absolutely still have it. It sounds almost exactly like all of their classic albums. All the witty wordplay and balls-out energy that the Beastie Boys are known for is still as present as ever. Even with 25+ years in the game, they still know how to make infectious and fun songs. "Lee Major Come Again", "Too Many Rappers" (which features an excellent verse from fellow rap legend Nas), and "Nonstop Disco Powerpack" are some of their all-time best songs. Rap needs more artists like the Beastie Boys. They never sold out or bought out into any trends. They are complete fucking legends that are still making great rap deep into their career. Easily the best hip-hop album of 2011.
Standout Tracks
1.Lee Majors Come Again
2.Too Many Rappers
3.Nonstop Disco Powerpack

mastodon421
12-24-2011, 01:36 PM
18.August Burns Red-Leveler

http://www.indievisionmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/augustburnsredleveler.jpg

August Burns Red has risen to become one of the most popular metalcore bands and for good reason, they are a great band. Their lastest effort Leveler steps their game so much it's not even funny. Everything has improved substantially on this album. The most notable improvement is the songwriting. There is a lot more progressive material on the material. They are a lot more open to experimentation in the past and it works very well for them. "Carpe Diem" sounds like it could be by Between The Buried and Me. "Internal Cannon" features a latin-style guitar interlude, which was a completely fucking awesome surprise. It's not only their most progressive effort to date, it's also their heaviest. At time it's almost melodic-death metal esque, which was another very pleasant surprise. In addition to the stronger songwriting, the vocals have never better. Jake Luhrs has come so far as a vocalist since he joined the band onMessengers. Leveler takes August Burns Red's music in a different and most importantly, better direction.
Standout Tracks
1.Internal Cannon
2.Cutting The Ties
3.Carpe Diem

17.Devin Townsend Project-Deconstruction
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/432/cover_181661342011_r.jpg

Clearly The Devin Townsend Project is about Devin Townsend exploring different styles and making unique albums. Deconstruction is the heaviest and closest to Devin's roots, it's also the best of his material with the Devin Townsend Project. Don't get me wrong, I liked Addicted! and (to a lesser extent) Ki, it was just awesome to see Devin go back to a more metal-driven sound and exploring his twisted genius again. This album is such a fun time to listen to because of how many layers it has. It's heavy, chaotic, progressive, and hilarious. Adding to the greatness of Deconstruction is the slew of fantastic guest artists. Having some of the best vocalists in metal (Tommy Rodgers, Greg Puicato, Joe Duplantier) appear made these great tracks even better. Each guest vocalist is completely different from one another and provide an excellent contrast with Townsend's vocals. Deconstruction is the biggest triumph of Devin's solo career thus far.
Standout Tracks
1.Planet Of The Apes
2.Stand
3.Juular

Rocco44
12-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Maybe I should listen to Leveler again, because my first reactions were that it was generic and a step down from their previous couple albums.

mastodon421
12-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Maybe I should listen to Leveler again, because my first reactions were that it was generic and a step down from their previous couple albums.

You definitely should. It's without a doubt their best and most technical album to date.

illninoese
12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
19.Beastie Boys-Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DflKLGarL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My intial reaction to Hot Sauce Committee Part Two was "Holy Shit, The Beastie Boys still have it. Currently, that's still exactly how I feel. The Beastie Boys absolutely still have it. It sounds almost exactly like all of their classic albums. All the witty wordplay and balls-out energy that the Beastie Boys are known for is still as present as ever. Even with 25+ years in the game, they still know how to make infectious and fun songs. "Lee Major Come Again", "Too Many Rappers" (which features an excellent verse from fellow rap legend Nas), and "Nonstop Disco Powerpack" are some of their all-time best songs. Rap needs more artists like the Beastie Boys. They never sold out or bought out into any trends. They are complete fucking legends that are still making great rap deep into their career. Easily the best hip-hop album of 2011.
Standout Tracks
1.Lee Majors Come Again
2.Too Many Rappers
3.Nonstop Disco Powerpack

I completely forgot this got released this year!!!!!! I'm downloading it now as we speak. Good to hear it wasn't a flop. Not that I expected it to be since it's the fucking Beastie Boys.

mastodon421
12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Let's get the ball rolling on the countdown again...
16.Foo Fighters-Wasting Light
http://www.gearsofrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Wasting-Light-Foo-Fighters-300x300.jpg

The Foo Fighters return with a fucking vegeance on Wasting Light. This is exactly the kind of the record they needed after the lackluster Echos, Silence, Patience, and Grace. The songs on this record have more of a hard rock-edge to them. Tracks like "Bridge Burning", "Back and Forth", and "White Limo" are full-blown, kick-ass hard rock songs. It's not all about hard rock on this record though. You have your vintage Foo Fighters sounding songs ("Dear Rosemary", "Rope", "Walk"), some alt-rock driven tracks ("Arlandria") and even some blues ("I Should Have Known It"). No matter what style is approached, the Foo Fighters knock it out of the park on this album. Wasting Light is without a doubt the Foo Fighters best since The Colour and The Shape. It injects some much needed life into their sound and puts them back on top of the heap when it comes to modern rock bands.
Standout Tracks
1.Bridge Burning
2.Dear Rosemary
3.White Limo

15.Darkest Hour-The Human Romance
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GPhJjkJaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Darkest Hour has been around for quite some time. Over their 15-year career, they haven't really broken out despite being one of the longest tenured metalcore acts. A lot of people began to write them off when guitarist Kris Norris left after Deliver Us (which is my favorite Darkest Hour record). The people that were writing them off need to take a nice, long listen to The Human Romance because it's one of the finest records of their long career. It's the easily the most melodic Darkest Hour record to date. The melodic stuff works really well. The biggest example of that is on album standout "Love As A Weapon". It features an amazing slow riff and is extremely fucking catchy. It's not all about the melodic stuff, Darkest Hour still works their thrash influences in as well. "Your Everyday Disaster" and "Violent By Nature" are under 3-mintue ragers that go straight for your throat and don't let go. The Human Romance blends the heavy and melodic side of Darkest Hour seamlessly. Darkest Hour has been experimentating with their sound from record to record since 2005's Undoing Ruin and it always pays off. That is the mark of a band with ambition and true talent that doesn't get nearly enough credit for their music. The Human Romance shows yet another side of Darkest Hour and yet again, they have a high spot on my year-end list.
Standout Tracks
1.Love As A Weapon
2.The World Engulfed In Flames
3.Violent By Nature

Rocco44
12-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record but they aren't metalcore. Solid album for sure, I just think that describing them as metalcore give those who haven't heard them before a wrong idea about their sound.

Still have to check out the new Foo Fighters, it's been getting great reviews.

mastodon421
12-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record but they aren't metalcore. Solid album for sure, I just think that describing them as metalcore give those who haven't heard them before a wrong idea about their sound.

Still have to check out the new Foo Fighters, it's been getting great reviews.

I can see where your coming from on that. They do have a heavy melodic death metal influence and they could easily fit under that genre label as well.

PowerMaiden
12-26-2011, 05:02 PM
cool list bro, you have already poste 4-5 albums that make my top 10 list !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mastodon421
12-27-2011, 12:57 PM
14.Last Chance To Reason-Level 2
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aAlYUAG9zWU/TZ7PSej8O8I/AAAAAAAABr8/DkHBuQXSSDA/s400/Last+Chance+To+Reason+11.jpg

If there is any active band that I would dub the next Between The Buried and Me, it would be Last Chance To Reason. These progressive metal juggernauts from Maine are one of the most promising young bands around. Just like Between The Buried and Me, Level 2 is full of unpredictable tempo changes. The shredding guitars and crazy video-game inspired synths smoothly transition to the progressive sections on a whim. The BTBAM comparisions don't end there, Last Chance To Reason also has an amazing vocalist. Mike Lassard has an incredible range. He hits every octave known to man flawlessly. Last Chance To Reason is the top band I discovered in 2011. These guys are the future of progressive metal. I wouldn't be surprised if their next record was a masterpiece.
Standout Tracks
1.Coded To Fail
2.Apotheosis
3.Portal

13.Obscura-Omnivium
http://vampster.com/images/gallery2/Obscura_omnivium_news_big.jpg

I am kicking myself for not checking out Obscura sooner. Thankfully, I finally came to my senses and downloaded Omnivium out of curiousity. What struck me right off the bat is the off-the-charts technicality. From the fret-melting guitar solos, to the thunderous blast beats, to the godlike use of fretless bass, Obscura is just so insanely talented it's scary. Compared to their last record Cosmogenesis, Omnivium is a lot more progressive and ultimately better. The songwriting is a lot stronger and the progressive elements being more in the forefront has given Obscura a more diverse and refined sound. Don't get wrong, Obscura is still heavy as balls, it's just that the progressive elements play a greater role this time around. In the end, I'm so fucking glad that I got off my lazy ass and finally checked out Obscura.
Standout Tracks
1.Septuagint
2.Celestial Spheres
3.Velocity

MPF
12-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Great list so far!

The_jman
12-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I've enjoyed reading this list, there's a couple albums I should check out... I like the sound of a couple where you say there are good clean vocals mixed in. Hearing that makes me want to check them out.

mastodon421
12-28-2011, 09:49 AM
12.Times Of Grace-The Hymn Of A Broken Man
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.spinner.com/media/2011/12/41blg948hnl.sl500aa300_300x300.jpg

I have been waiting a long time to hear Jesse Leach do a project again (outside of The Empire Shall Fall, who aren't very good imo). Times Of Grace finally gives him a worthwhile project again. His reteaming with his ex-bandmate Adam D from Killswitch Engage makes for some pretty fucking brilliant material. It's definitely the most melodic stuff either one of them have ever worked on. There is a good number of songs ("Fight For Life", "The Forgotten One", "Live In Love", "Worlds Apart") that are all in the top teir of songs released this year. There is a lot of heartfelt emotion in Leach's lyrics and vocals (both are absoultely amazing). The ballad "The Forgotten One" is especially impressive from a vocal standpoint, it's just Leach and Adam D on acoustic guitar. It sends chills down my spine every time I hear it, one of the finest songs of 2011. Adam D also gets to show his guitar chops more than his work with Killswitch. He is an immensly talented player that can shred with the best of them (the solos on "Strength In Numbers" and "Worlds Apart" are particularally awesome). Those looking for an exact replica of the Alive Or Just Breathing? days of Killswitch are shit out of luck and probably won't dig this, but if you have open mind and are a fan of Leach's vocals, you should check this out. This album made me very curious as to how Killswitch would sound if Leach remained on vocals.
Standout Tracks
1.Fight For Life
2.The Forgotten One
3.Live In Love

11.All Shall Perish-This Is Where It Ends
http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ASP-Cover-CDsize_RGB-300x300.jpg

inb4 deathcore sucks
All Shall Perish are one of the few bands that really, really impress me (spoiler alert: the next album on my list is from another deathcore band I love). They have been steadily improving as a band since The Price Of Existence came out, but This Is Where It Ends is by far the best record of their career so far. Part of this major improvement can be attributed to new guitarist Fransesco Artusato. He is the best guitar player All Shall Perish has ever had and considering how many great guitar players All Shall Perish has had over the years, that is quite the accomplishment. The riffs and solos are outstanding. Artusato also brought a lot to the songwriting department. It's more cohesive, elborate, and experimental than ever before and it really pays off. The album's finest track, closer "In This Life Of Pain", is unlike any other All Shall Perish track and is their absolute best song to date. It starts off with a near-two minute piano intro then leads into the best solos, drum works, and vocals of All Shall Perish's career. Everything has been stepped up on This Is Where It Ends and it's just a fucking killer record, regardless of what genre it is. All Shall Perish is an elite deathcore band that most of the bands in the genre can't even come close to touching.
Standout Tracks
1.In This Life Of Pain
2.Procession Of Ashes
3.Spineless

slapguitarer
12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
deathcore sucks

I agree

xStructualDefect
12-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah I love the new All Shall Perish album. Their best album by far. If I were to make a top list that'd probably make top 5.

BloodoftheKings
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I got the new All Shall Perish and at first I figured they're pretty good for a deathcore band but after listening to it a couple times I started to realize they're only good in comparison to other deathcore bands.

jd091
12-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Nothing compared to The Price of Existence, in my opinion, but still some good stuff.

TiradesOfTruth
12-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Definitely a top 10 release from ASP.

mastodon421
12-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Before I break into my top 10, here my picks for the top 10 best performances I saw this year.

10.Deftones (5/9)
Outstanding headline set for the Deftones. They rocked the sold-out crowd at the House Of Blues. Chino sounded outstanding and the band varied their set with their heavy stuff and slow stuff. "Passenger" with Greg Puicaito was one of the best live songs I've ever seen.

9.Times Of Grace (4/16)
Seeing Jeese Leach perform live was incredible. He was spot-on, maybe even better on the record. Adam D was his usual energetic self. Very powerful and memorable performance. I hope they at least play another show in the area soon, they were amazing.

8.Skeletonwitch (4/16)
Another performance from NEMHF. This was my 2nd time seeing Skeletonwitch (I have now seen them 3 times), but this was for sure my favorite performance I've seen from them. They were so into their performance. Chance especially was having a blast. He was drinking beer and joking with the crowd the entire time and he started air-guitaring next to Nate during the solo to "Within My Blood". Skeletonwitch is always a ton of fun live, but ths time was especially fun.

7.Hatebreed (4/16)
Hatebreed closed out the best concert I've ever been to with their typical, high-energy performance. Jamey Jasta just commands the stage. Every time he performs he gives it 110%. Even at the end of a 13 hour show, Hatebreed still managed to get the crowd amped.

6.Unearth (11/19)
This performance marked the first time I saw Unearth headline and they were completely incredible. This show was in a bar and it was also the closest they were playing to Massachusetts on the tour, so the energy was off-the walls. They absolutely ripped up the small stage with a great setlist of old favorites and new stuff ( the intro to "Arise The War Cry" alone was worth the price of admission"). Unearth was absolutely amazing and I don't think I will ever see this special of a performance from them ever again.

5.The Black Dahlia Murder (8/12)
I was absolutely elated to see Black Dahlia for the first time in 2 years. This was also my first time seeing them headline and as usual, they slayed. Trevor Strnad has never sounded better and the whole band was tight as hell. The setlist was absolutely perfect blending the best tracks from the new album with some rarely played older tracks ("Nocturnal" was especially awesome).

4.The Dillinger Escape Plan (11/21)
Dillinger was nuts both times I saw them this, but their set opening for Mastodon was a little bit better. Greg stage dived, threw the mic into the crowd (and some kid broke it), the band jumped off of everything in sight, and Greg picked up the cymbal stand and swung it around like a towel. Typical Dillinger madness that makes them one of the most enjoyable and fun live acts to see. You will never see a more energetic live band than Dillinger.

3.Megadeth (7/22)
I had been waiting to see Megadeth for a very, very long time and they did not fail to impress me. Dave Mustaine sounded perfect, as did the band. Hearing the solos from "Holy Wars", "Hangar 18" and "Peace Sells" was jaw-dropping. I am sad it took me so long to see Megadeth. This is one of the top performance I have ever seen.

2.Mastodon (11/21)
Mastodon is (clearly) my favorite band of all time, but the first few times I saw them, I was letdown. Their first two times I saw them live they were so fucked up they weren't very good. This marked my 5th time seeing them and they FINALLY played as good as they are on album. It delights me to say that they finally go their shit together live. It only took me 2-3 songs to realize that was a special performance. Troy, Brann, and Brent all sounded amazing. Brent can still scream like a fucking madman and Brann might be tied with Troy for the best vocalist in the band. The setlist was near-perfect, it blended the best cuts off of everyone of their albums. Mastodon is finally a force to be reckoned with live.

1.Between The Buried and Me (4/16)
This might have been the best performance I have ever witnessed. There was just something so insanely magiclal about it. This was the best setlist I have ever seen from them. "Selkies" is the most gorgeous live song ever. There was a kid in front of me crying during the solo. Tommy Rodgers's vocals are almost scary in how good they are. The ending acoustics section of "Fossil Genera" was probably the most impressive clean vocal section I've ever heard. Even for an elite live band like BTBAM, this was a landmark performance.

Honorable Mentions: Revocation (4/16), Born Of Osiris (4/16), Machine Head (7/22), In Flames (7/22), Devin Townsend (7/19), Obscura (7/19), Dropkick Murphys (3/18), The Red Chord (10/30), Dying Fetus (8/12)

mastodon421
12-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Here is the start of my eagerly-awaited top 10 ;)

10.Born Of Osiris-The Discovery
http://www.revolvermag.com//wp-content/uploads/2011/03/born-of-osiris-the-discovery.jpg?9d7bd4

Now this is how deathcore is done. Born Of Osiris are now the best band in the genre, bar none. The growth they had from album to album is astonishing. The Discovery is the most complex, progressive, and technical effort from Born Of Osiris to date. They waste no time impressing the listener with the opening 1-2 punch of "Follow The Signs" and "Singularity". The keyboards are immense, the drumming is much improved, and the guitarwork is outstanding. This album continues to impress throughout with the dazziling guitar playing and unique keyboard arrangments. Jason Richardson might have been the best thing to ever happen to Born Of Osiris. He is one of the best guitarists in all of metal right now ( "Devastate", "Recreate" and "Behold" are all in the top 10 solos I heard this year) and is a huge asset to the band. On top of the instrumental improvment, Ronnie Canizaro's vocals have gotten 1000x better. He enuciates very well now and his highs and lows both sound top-notch now all the time (on the older stuff, they kind of muddled at times). Born Of Osiris has improved so much as a band. The breakdowns have been cut down and the songwriting is much, much better than on past album. It's experimental, catchy, and just plain bad-ass. Without a doubt, the best deathcore album ever made by far.
Standout Tracks
1.Recreate
2.Singularity
3.Automatic Motion

9.Fleshgod Apocalypse-Agony
http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/d0/6c/001d6cd0_medium.jpeg

Agony is the album that has divided Fleshgod Apocalypse fans. Some fans love the new sound, others have completely shunned it. Personally, I think Agony is completely fucking awesome. The symphonic elements are turned way up on this record. It adds this completely epic, massive sound that Fleshgod hasn't really accomplished previously. Don't get me wrong Oracles and Mafia had the symphonic elements, but they were subtle comparted to full-fledged onslaught on Agony. Each and every song is done on such a grand scale that it makes you feel like you should be going into battle. I honestly think tracks like "The Opression" and "The Betrayal" would fit in perfectly in the battle sequences of any of the Lord Of The Rings movies. All of the other Fleshgod staples are still present even with the beefed-up classical sound. Tommaso Ricardi sounds as evil as ever on vocals, Francesco Paoli breaks the speed of light with his drumming (I'm still convinced he has more than two arms and how he has is this good and has only been playing drums for 3 years is beyond me), and Cristiano Trionfera throws down some tasteful and sick guitar solos. This is a different sound for Fleshgod Apocalypse, but they fucking nailed it and that's why Agony is my favorite record of theirs to date.
Standout Tracks
1.The Opression
2.The Betrayal
3.The Egoism

jd091
12-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Here is the start of my eagerly-awaited top 10 ;)

10.Born Of Osiris-The Discovery
http://www.revolvermag.com//wp-content/uploads/2011/03/born-of-osiris-the-discovery.jpg?9d7bd4

Now this is how deathcore is done. Born Of Osiris are now the best band in the genre, bar none. The growth they had from album to album is astonishing. The Discovery is the most complex, progressive, and technical effort from Born Of Osiris to date. They waste no time impressing the listener with the opening 1-2 punch of "Follow The Signs" and "Singularity". The keyboards are immense, the drumming is much improved, and the guitarwork is outstanding. This album continues to impress throughout with the dazziling guitar playing and unique keyboard arrangments. Jason Richardson might have been the best thing to ever happen to Born Of Osiris. He is one of the best guitarists in all of metal right now ( "Devastate", "Recreate" and "Behold" are all in the top 10 solos I heard this year) and is a huge asset to the band. On top of the instrumental improvment, Ronnie Canizaro's vocals have gotten 1000x better. He enuciates very well now and his highs and lows both sound top-notch now all the time (on the older stuff, they kind of muddled at times). Born Of Osiris has improved so much as a band. The breakdowns have been cut down and the songwriting is much, much better than on past album. It's experimental, catchy, and just plain bad-ass. Without a doubt, the best deathcore album ever made by far.
Standout Tracks
1.Recreate
2.Singularity
3.Automatic Motion

Ugh. This album is beyond mediocre, honestly. BOO's only decent album was The New Reign. I have no idea why people love this one so much.

mastodon421
12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Ugh. This album is beyond mediocre, honestly. BOO's only decent album was The New Reign. I have no idea why people love this one so much.

It still shocks me that you don't love this band. Maybe if you stopped listening to garbage like Speaker Of The Dead, you would appreciate deathcore that's actually good;) (I'm just busting your balls on that one, you know I <3 you.)

jd091
12-29-2011, 05:18 PM
It still shocks me that you don't love this band. Maybe if you stopped listening to garbage like Speaker Of The Dead, you would appreciate deathcore that's actually good;) (I'm just busting your balls on that one, you know I <3 you.)

Don't get me wrong, their early stuff was solid and they're fun live. This new stuff just tends to put me asleep. I dunno; Sumeriancore tends to bore me more and more nowadays. Too many riffs/breakdowns that are too thought out and end up boring.

MPF
12-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Don't get me wrong, their early stuff was solid and they're fun live. This new stuff just tends to put me asleep. I dunno; Sumeriancore tends to bore me more and more nowadays. Too many riffs/breakdowns that are too thought out and end up boring.

Hearing about any band that has "core" in their genre that you don't like confuses and scares me. :D

jd091
12-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Hearing about any band that has "core" in their genre that you don't like confuses and scares me. :D

Yeah, maybe I should be scared myself. :lol:

slapguitarer
12-29-2011, 05:46 PM
It sucks it took you 'til your 5th time to get a good Mastodon set. I've only had an issue with them once, but every other time was amazing.

mastodon421
12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
It sucks it took you 'til your 5th time to get a good Mastodon set. I've only had an issue with them once, but every other time was amazing.

The first two times (Blood Mountain headlining tour and Mayhem Fest 08) were the only times they were bad. They weren't amazing on The Crack The Skye headline tour, but they were good. BlackDiamondSkye they were great and I could tell they were starting to get their together live. Still, their performance last month was flawless and finally matched up to my insane love of their studio stuff.

mastodon421
12-30-2011, 12:51 PM
8.Arch Enemy-Khaos Legions
http://www.angrymetalguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/arch-enemy-khaos-legions1.jpg

Arch Enemy came roaring back with Khaos Legions. It's been four long years since they released an album of new material and Khaos Legions was well worth the wait. This is a furious, relentless, ass-kicker of an album. It grabs you by the balls and does not let go for it's entire 55-minute duration. Arch Enemy has always been known for the excellent guitarwork from the Arnott brothers, but it's been kicked up another notch for this record. None of their previous material has had this many sick riffs. There is also no shortage of impressive solos The intro to "City Of The Dead" will leave most listeners jaws on the floor. The solos are not only awesome, they are also varied. From the melodic beauty of "Cult Of Chaos" to the thrashy, face-melting solos on "Vengeance Is Mine" and "Cruelty Without Beauty", Arch Enemy keeps every solo fresh and exciting. Angela Gossow once agains mightily impresses on this record. No matter what the speed of the music, her vocals sound perfect. She is such a special vocal talent and proves once again why is she one of the best vocalists in all of extreme metal. This isn't really uncharted territory for an Arch Enemy record, it's just an improved version of their trademark sound. It's faster, It's more melodic, It's catchier, and the riffs and solos are better than ever. Khaos Legions has topped Doomsday Machine as my favorite Arch Enemy record.
Standout Tracks
1.City Of The Dead
2.Cruelty Without Beauty
3.Vegeance Is Mine

7.Skeletonwitch-Forever Abomination
http://www.revolvermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Skeletonwitch-Forever-Abomination.jpg?9d7bd4

I have always dubbed Skeletonwitch as "80's Metallica with Satan as a vocalist". While this is still true for the most part, Skeletonwitch has embraced a more melodic sound on Forever Abomination. From the acoustic guitar sections on "This Horrifying Force (The Desire To Kill)" to the melodic black/death metal inspired soloing on "Cleaver Of Souls", Skeletonwitch is able to work melodic influences in with their frenzied thrash attack effortlessly. The new-found melody makes Skeletonwitch's sound more refined and varied than ever before which makes for some of the best material Skeletonwitch has ever crafted. While there is still plenty of straight-up thrash on this album, I found myself enjoying the melodic tracks (especially the aforementioned "This Horrifying Force" and "Cleaver Of Souls") more than the fast, raging ones. This new style has given guitarist Nate Garnette even more of a chance to shine. He has been one of the best guitarists in metal for a while, but he really stepped his game up on this record. He lays down great riffs and fret-ripping solos like they are going out of style. His brother, vocalist Chance Garnette, delivers his trademark demonic vocals in top-form. His screams are still amongst the most sinister and bad-ass in all of metal. Forver Abonomination brilliantly blends the classic Skeletonwitch sound with more a melodic sound and it works on every possible level. Just as good, if not better (I'm still not sure) than Beyond The Permafrost.
Standout Tracks
1.Cleaver Of Souls
2.This Horrifying Force (The Desire To Kill)
3.Of Ash and Torment

mastodon421
12-31-2011, 11:06 AM
6.Machine Head-Unto The Locust
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d66/47013_machine_head_unto_the_locust.jpg

It was going to be an extremely hard task for Machine Head to live up to The Blackening. It was considered to be their masterpiece by many (myself included) and it brought them back to the forefront of the metal scene. Thankfully, Unto The Locust lives up to the hype and continues Machine Head's streak of making quality albums since their revival on Through The Ashes Of The Empire as a legitmate metal force again. Unto The Locust isn't drastically different from The Blackening, which is a good thing, but it's different enough to make it standout on it's own. There is a lot more experimentation and melodic work on this record. "I Am Hell" and "Darkness Within" are the best examples of the expermentation on this record. "I Am Hell" kick off with a orchestra-esque into then thunders into an expectional, heavy riff and breakneck speed for the rest of the song. It's an epic tracks that instantly became one of my favorite Machine Head songs. "Darkness Within" is a completely different animal. It's a very pretty and emotional ballad that ends with a heavy bang. Machine Head has never done anything like this and it surprisingly works very well. Once again, Phil Demmel's guitarwork is the start of the album. Every solo blew my mind ("This Is The End" might have the best solo of the entire year). He will start a solo with some nice and slow melodic work then throw in a curveball and dazzle the listener with inhuman speed. His style of playing is very unpredictable and always amazing. Unto The Locust might be a tad-less enjoyable than The Blackening, but it's definitely in the same ballpark and is another excellent record from Machine Head.
Standout Tracks
1.I Am Hell (Sonata In C#)
2.Darkness Within
3.This Is The End

5.Mastodon-The Hunter
http://media.prefixmag.com/site_media/uploads/images/reviews/m/mastodon/mastodon-the-hunter_jpg_300x300_crop-smart_q85.jpg

I am sure some of you will be surprised how low this is considering how much of a Mastodon fanboy I am. I had my fair share of doubts about The Hunter before listening to it. The stupid album cover, song titles, and lead single "Curl Of The Burl" had me worried that this album would be a gigantic letdown. Even though The Hunter contains the absolute worst song by far in their discography ("Creature Lives"), it's still another amazing record from Mastodon. As usual, it sounds nothing like their previous records (which I have absolutely no problem with, it just shows how diverse of a band they are. I have to say this is their strangest and most varied album to date and it will definitely alienate some fans of the band. The Hunter has a little bit of everything that Mastodon has to offer. You have some classic-rock inspired jams ("Dry Bone Valley", "All The Heavy Lifting"), some very heavy stuff that will remind you of early Mastodon ("Blasteroid", "Spectrelight"), and even some really trippy, Pink Floyd-esque stuff ("The Hunter", "Bedazzled Fingernails"). The beauty of The Hunter is how how it's able to capture all of these different styles with a clear vision and (with the exception of "Creature Lives") consistent quality. Even with all the styles explored on this record, there is one thing that remains the same throughout, Mastodon's stunning level of musicianship. The insturmentation is highly complex and extremely precise from every one in the band as always, but the most impressive musical aspect of The Hunter is how the vocals were approached. Troy Sanders and Brent Hinds do a good amount of vocals like they did in the past, but now Brann Dailor joins to them give them 3 vocalists. Sanders, Hinds, and Dailor complement each other very well and give each song a unique vocal flavor. It's not my favorite Mastodon record ever, but it's still some killer stuff. It takes a special band to successfully reinvent themselves this many times. Mastodon continues to put out genre-bending masterpieces and (hopefully) that won't change anytime soon.
Standout Tracks
1.Blasteroid
2.Dry Bone Valley
3.Spectrelight

slapguitarer
12-31-2011, 12:07 PM
The Hunter is even lower on my list and I'm quite a fanboy as well. Still and amazing record though.

mastodon421
12-31-2011, 06:05 PM
4.Unearth-Darkness In The Light
http://metalholic.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Unearth-Darkness-in-the-Light-300x300.jpg

Let me start by saying that this is the most underrated record of 2011 imo. Completely overlooked by everyone (including big Unearth fans) and it's a god damn shame. Darkness In The Light is the ultimate Unearth record. It takes the best parts of the past three Unearth records and throws them all together. It has melodic undertones and clean vocals of The Oncoming Storm, the agression of III: In The Eyes Of Fire, and the excellent solos of The March. Of course, Unearth's classic breakdowns that have the unmatched ability to not get reduant and never feel forced in their music. "Eyes Of Black" deserves some kind of breakdown medal. It hits so fucking hard and is a contender for the best breakdown of their career. All of the shitty, breakdown-whoring deathcore bands (**coughcough Oceano, Chelsea Grin) should pay Unearth a lot of money for raping the artform that they have mastered. It's clearly not all about breakdowns with Unearth. More importantly, they have a plethora of catchy riffs and fret-ripping solos. "Arise The War Cry" has the best solo of Buz McGrath's career and it leaves me in awe every time I hear it (it's even more impressive in a live setting). Trevor Phipps also gives the strongest vocal performance of his career (A lot of people can't stand his vocals, but I really like them and find them to be very unique). It was also cool to hear Justin Foley play drums on a non-Killswitch Engage record. He does a damn good job and plays some faster and more intricate drum patterns that he doesn't get to play with Killswitch. Darkness In The Light is Unearth at their absolute best. A fucking monster of a record.
Standout Tracks
1.Arise The War Cry
2.Eyes Of Black
3.Coming Of The Dark

3.Protest The Hero-Scurrilous
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d68/36499_protest_the_hero_scurrilous.jpg

Before listening to Scurrilous, I didn't think Protest The Hero was going to be able to top Fortress. Let's just say I was dead fucking wrong. From the second the infectious, catchy masterpiece of a song "C'est La Vie" kicked in I knew Scurrilous was not only better than Fortress, it kicked the living shit out of it. The entire albums demands multiple listens immediately. Protest The Hero has always had excellent muscianship, but their music has never been catchier or more mature than is on Scurrilous. A big reason for this is Rody Walker taking over the lyric duty. The songs are now much more personal and the lyrics are nothing short of amazing on this record. Dealing with everything from cancer ("Tandem") to alcoholism ("Tapestry") to record executives ("Dunsel"), Walker's lyrics are always thought-provoking, clever, and filled with emotion. Just as impressive as the lyrics, is the energy in which these songs are delivered at. Every song is filled to the brim with 110% energy, but it peaks during the scat screaming sections of "Tapestry" and the tongue-in-cheek satire of album closer "Sex Tapes". Scurrilous shows major signs of growth for Protest The Hero. It has all the techinical precision of their earlier records with much better lyrics and an enhanced focus on hooks. Nothing short of brilliant.
Standout Tracks
1.C'est La Vie
2.Tapestry
3.Termites

jd091
12-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Agree on Unearth; it's amazing. The more I listened to it, the more I loved it.

slapguitarer
12-31-2011, 07:47 PM
One of the few lists that'll have Scurrilous, so I'm proud. It's an amazing album.:shred:

mastodon421
01-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I will be posting my final 2 in a bit. Before that, here some other for the year.

Riff Of The Year
Mastodon "Blasteroid"

Top 5 albums that I didn't get the chance to check out, but plan to in the near future.
1.Russian Circles-Empros
2.Black Cobra-Interval
3.Fit For An Autopsy-The Process Of Human Extermination
4.Diamond Plate-Generation Why?
5.Sylosis-Edge Of The Earth

Most Underrated Records Of The Year
1.Unearth-Darkness In The Light
2.Times Of Grace-The Hymn Of A Broken Man
3.Darkest Hour-The Human Romance

Most Overrated Records Of The Year
1.Hate Eternal-Phoenix Amongst The Ashes
2.Vader-Welcome To The Morbid Reich

I like both of these records, it's just that I didn't find them to be nearly as good as most people made them out to be.

Biggest Letdowns
1.Morbid Angel-Illuid Divinium Insanus (no shit Sherlock)
2.Rise Against-Endgame
3.Lazarus A.D-Black Rivers Flow

Top 5 Shows I regret not going to in 2011:
1.Queens Of The Stone Age (March 26th, House Of Blues)
2.Atmosphere (April 23rd, House Of Blues)
3.Converge (May 22nd, Middle East)
4.Protest The Hero/TesseracT (May 1st, The Palladium)
5.The Red Chord/Gaza (March 9th, Great Scott)

Top 5 Bands I Started Listening To/Discovered In 2011:
1.Obscura
2.Last Chance To Reason
3.Red Fang
4.Textures
5.Havok

mastodon421
01-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Here is the top 2. Thanks to everyone that read/comment on this :rocker:

2.Revocation-Chaos Of Forms
http://cdn.zmemusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Revocation-Chaos-Of-Forms-2011.jpg

Revocation has exploded over the past couple of years and rightfully so, they are one of the most refreshing, talented, and just plain best metal bands to emerge in the past decade. Chaos Of Forms is the next level for Revocation. It takes their death/thrash sound and adds a plethora of twists, turns and surprises. Things like the horn section on "The Watchers" and the prominent acoustic guitar sections on "Conjuring The Cataclysm" are something you wouldn't have come to previously expect from Revocation. Revocation doesn't even come close to abandoning their death/thrash sound, if anything they made it more intense. David Davidson outdoes himself with the guitarwork on this record. There's a reason he won the best metal guitarist from Metal Sucks, he completely fucking shreds. The solos on this album are nothing short of awe-inspiring, The standouts being "Chaos Of Forms" and "Beloved Horrifier". If you are a fan of thrash or death metal in any capacity, listen to this band and listen to this record.
Standout Tracks
1.Chaos Of Forms
2.Beloved Horrifier
3.Harlot

1.The Black Dahlia Murder-Ritual
http://metalholic.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/The-Black-Dahlia-Murder-Ritual-300x300.jpg

I know this is a complete shocker, but Ritual is my favorite album of the year. No album this year made a bigger lasting impression (and there were a lot of records that made a lasting impression) than Ritual. Plain and simple, Ritual blew my mind. I have loved all of Black Dahlia Murder's records (they are one of my favorite bands and the reason I got into death metal), but none of their previous albums even hold a candle to Ritual. This is the heaviest, fastest, most melodic, technical, and most mature record to date. It was evident from the first few seconds of "A Shrine To Madness" that this record was going to be a masterpiece. The subtle string arrangements at the beginning lead into the first of many killer riffs from guitarist Ryan Knight. Knight is a big reason that Ritual is so special. He had a major part in the songwriting and he brought a lot in that department. This album has so many layers and so many things that The Black Dahlia Murder has never done before yet maintains the classic Black Dahlia Murder sound. On top of Knight's songwriting contribution, he also throws down a shitload of amazing solos. He is one of the finest guitar players in metal and his addition to The Black Dahlia Murder lineup in 2009 was the best thing to ever happen to the band. Vocally, Trevor Strnad sounds more evil than ever and gives his best vocal performance. Shannon Lucas also steps up his game up. He always has been amazing drummer, but his work on Ritual is so impressive that it sounds like a completely different drummer. Ritual is a special album. Some bands at this point in their career get lazy, but not The Black Dahlia Murder, they are only getting better. Every song is amazing, which makes it virtually impossible to pick a favorite song from. These guys are modern death metal legends. One of those once in a generation bands that takes an entire sub-genre by storm. Ritual is an instant classic that will be forever embedded in my brain.
Standout Tracks
1.Carbonized In Cruciform
2.Blood In The Ink
3.A Shrine To Madness
The rest of the album too

hellawaits77ny
01-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Shit, I never checked out all of Unearth's new album. I was kinda "eh" about the 2 songs I heard, so was never in a rush to listen to the whole thing. Based on some reviews I've read, especially this one, I will check it all out.

xStructualDefect
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Just realized you finished your list. Very solid top 10, well top 15 actually. My top 10 would look very similar to yours, probably in a different order though.

mastodon421
01-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Just realized you finished your list. Very solid top 10, well top 15 actually. My top 10 would look very similar to yours, probably in a different order though.

Thanks man:horns: