PDA

View Full Version : METALLICA Beyond Magnetic EP

ravenheart
12-13-2011, 03:32 AM
It's now been confirmed it will be a digital-only EP, obviously containing the four unreleased songs from 'Death Magnetic' premiered at the anniversary shows.

It will be available exclusively on itunes in North America for one week (next week), then will be made available worldwide through most major digital retailers.

This, frankly, sucks.

IrritatedTrout
12-13-2011, 03:34 AM
I wish it was released on CD.

ravenheart
12-13-2011, 03:49 AM
I wish it was released on CD.

Yep. Digital only releases are one of the worst things to happen to music.

hellawaits77ny
12-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Yep. Digital only releases are one of the worst things to happen to music.

Agreed. The songs actually aren't bad. Nothing outstanding, but I like them.

DethMaiden
12-13-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm fine with digital-only FREE downloads, but yeah, I'm gonna pay you for a file, okay.

(just did that with the Louis CK special but you know what I mean)

ravenheart
12-13-2011, 07:39 AM
I'm fine with digital-only FREE downloads, but yeah, I'm gonna pay you for a file, okay.

I'm still not OK with this part. Give me the option to pay for a CD. It's not like I'm demanding a free CD as well.

Epidemic Reign
12-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm not going to miss cds, to be honest. MP3 files are much more convenient. They can't become warped, cracked or worn out over time. They take up zero physical space in your home or car. You can take a massive music collection anywhere and plug into nearly anything with a speaker. It's practically a perfect format, and naturally the lesser format will be phased out in due time.

larvtard
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm not going to miss cds, to be honest. MP3 files are much more convenient. They can't become warped, cracked or worn out over time. They take up zero physical space in your home or car. You can take a massive music collection anywhere and plug into nearly anything with a speaker. It's practically a perfect format, and naturally the lesser format will be phased out in due time.

And people say all the time "but mp3s sound like shit compared to CDs!" I know there is a substantial difference, but I can't hear it for whatever reason.

I don't mind buying a couple CD's that I'll just keep in my car stereo all the time, though.

Epidemic Reign
12-13-2011, 11:23 AM
And people say all the time "but mp3s sound like shit compared to CDs!" I know there is a substantial difference, but I can't hear it for whatever reason.

I don't mind buying a couple CD's that I'll just keep in my car stereo all the time, though.

Truth is, the difference in quality isn't substantial. It's nearly non-existent. The only reason some people claim they can hear a difference is because they WANT to believe it :lol: Granted it has to be a legit MP3 file that's been properly ripped, but the files provided by digital music retailers are generally CD quality.

IrritatedTrout
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM
I generally can't tell much of a difference between CD and MP3 but I want a CD for the artwork and when I pay for a product I prefer to get something "real", not just some files. I guess it's personal preference but I can't see why anyone would rather pay for an MP3 album rather than buy a real CD version.

Dextrimental
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm fine with free downloads, but I wish they would give me the option to pay for a CD as well. It's Metallica, they simply can't lose money on any sort of set of unreleased material. I can understand a smaller band not wanting to take the risk of replicating CD's that may not sell, but Metallica don't need to worry about those sort of risks.

mankvill
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm with the Brit. I really hate digital download ONLY albums. It makes all the sense in the world and I should love them, but I just don't.

Travis The Dragon
12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
As far as the quality difference goes, it depends on the bitrate. 160 and lower and you'll notice quite a difference, but when you get higher, it's much less noticeable. Since the EP won't be free, it better be 320 or even better, available in FLAC format.

velvetgrass
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I actually got a $15 itunes card as a gift today, so I'll be buying this EP, and also the Megadeth album The System Has Failed, one of the two Megadeth albums I don't already have.

Regarding the digital vs. physical issue, to me it doesn't matter as long as I am getting an official edition of the music. The only thing I'm against is music sharing sites such as limewire, napster, etc...

Wizzbang11
12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
The only thing I'm against is music sharing sites such as limewire, napster, etc...

Pfft, this aint 2003. Get with the times bro :cool:

TonyD
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
As far as the quality difference goes, it depends on the bitrate. 160 and lower and you'll notice quite a difference, but when you get higher, it's much less noticeable. Since the EP won't be free, it better be 320 or even better, available in FLAC format.

For once I agree with something you say :lol:

I'd bet they're going to put it out as a Vinyl EP, probably including a CD in there, so don't get your panties in a bunch.

velvetgrass
12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Pfft, this aint 2003. Get with the times bro :cool:

Well, I know there are newer music sharing sites out there, I could only remember the names of those two older ones lol

SomewhereInTime72
12-13-2011, 07:25 PM
The audio difference between MP3 and CD is completely negligible at higher bitrates (noticeable at 128kbps but once you hit 320 you can't honestly tell me there's an audible difference). I'm ok with digital releases for bands that aren't exactly well known and can't completely afford to press a full release for us all to buy, especially in the current music climate. However for a band like Metallica to do a digital-only release is pretty unacceptable. :hmm:

Epidemic Reign
12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that these tracks are just rough cuts, not fully mastered which is probably the main reason they decided to pass on a CD release.

hellawaits77ny
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that these tracks are just rough cuts, not fully mastered which is probably the main reason they decided to pass on a CD release.

This. They are the rough mixes. Not mixed, from March 2008. Quality is still pretty good.

darkguardian50
12-14-2011, 02:37 AM
As for CD vs MP3, difference isn't non existant if you have a good sound system. Most people don't.

I sold high end audio for a living and there is a huge difference. I didn't like to ever use my ipod for demoing even if it was a uncompressed file. In fact if I could get the track on Vinyl that was the preferred. But a good quality cd player and a killer amp and speakers does the trick.

As for the EP, its pretty damn solid. Nothing bad, nothing amazing though. My favorite Death Magnetic song (both EP and the normal release) is still All Nightmare Long.

I love the galloping opening riff for Just A Bullet Away and just the riffing in that song in general. This is probably my favorite of the 4 songs, but it also gets disjointed in spots, I can also sorta see why it didn't make the cut despite some great parts, the sum wasn't quite up to snuff. It was sorta reminiscent of a Dream Theater song, oddly progressive with a wierd breakdown halfway through that was just jarring, but the song ends up being the better for it cause the way the heavier riffs get worked back in really worked.

Hate Train had some nice solo work that wasn't oversaturated with wah. Otherwise it was solid but unremarkable.

Hell and Back sorta reminded me of Cyanide for some reason, but not as catchy. The song gets pretty awesome about halfway through.

Rebel of Babylon is a bit overlong, the opening riff is kinda interesting and this one reminds me of My Apocalypse with the super heavy riffing during the verse. The chorus is a bit generic but the bridge riff and vocals is rather neat. Interesting solo, not sure if I liked it or not honestly but it got my attention. Interesting major key riff following the first solo that disappears very quickly but its wierd to hear that in a metallica song. Bass solo in this song which is also unusual to hear.

So all in all Rebel and Bullet are the only ones on the EP that I would say that you would include in an album IF you had room. Still this isn't bad material. Certainly better than 90% of the stuff they did between Black Album and Death Magnetic.

Epidemic Reign
12-14-2011, 03:07 AM
As for CD vs MP3, difference isn't non existant if you have a good sound system. Most people don't.

I sold high end audio for a living and there is a huge difference. I didn't like to ever use my ipod for demoing even if it was a uncompressed file. In fact if I could get the track on Vinyl that was the preferred. But a good quality cd player and a killer amp and speakers does the trick.

I can't comprehend the motive behind this statement unless you're just straight-up schilling turntables. Given the fact that you were a salesman, however, I know the bullshitting comes naturally ;) I'm currently staying at a friend's house, and my friend happens to have a state-of-the-art sound system. My purchased audio files on my ipod sound fucking flawless and absolutely amazing on his rig.

Also, despite the fact that people love vinyl for the nostalgia behind it, vinyl quality doesn't stand a chance against CD quality. There's a fifty-year technology gap there, for one thing.

ravenheart
12-14-2011, 03:22 AM
Also, despite the fact that people love vinyl for the nostalgia behind it, vinyl quality doesn't stand a chance against CD quality. There's a fifty-year technology gap there, for one thing.

It's not the quality people prefer so much as the way vinyl sounds. It's a warmer sound.

Epidemic Reign
12-14-2011, 03:29 AM
It's not the quality people prefer so much as the way vinyl sounds. It's a warmer sound.

To be honest, I've never taken temperature into consideration when judging audio :lol: But please, elaborate if you will...

makethemsuffer12
12-14-2011, 06:48 AM
This. They are the rough mixes. Not mixed, from March 2008. Quality is still pretty good.

I think it sounds better than the actual album. :lol:

Anyway, I absofuckinglutely loved the EP. I am a Metallica fanboy, but the songs are really solid and better than some of the tracks that ended up on on DM, IMO. "Hate Train" is all pretty killer. "Bullet" is awesome, though the mid-section is totally random. "Hell and Back" is excellent. Very catchy song. "Rebel" might technically be the best song of the four. My only complaint is that the transition from the chorus to the verse riff again is just a little disjointed, but other than that I have no complaints. Also, the midsection has some of the best instrumental work the band has done, if you ask me.

I know I'm probably excited just because these songs are new to me, but fuck, these are some of my favorite songs the band has done. Though it's probably me being overly-happy that the band can still write kick-ass metal.

BloodoftheKings
12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
I know I'm probably excited just because these songs are new to me, but fuck, these are some of my favorite songs the band has done.

By that do you mean just in the past 20 years?

IrritatedTrout
12-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I think these tracks sound better than the mix on DM too.

Wizzbang11
12-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Technically speaking, high quality vinyl has a larger frequency range (especially on the low end) than CDs do, although most humans would not be able to pick this up, especially without a really nice sound system. It's also a matter of the mastering used on modern CDs and vinyl, for some reason CDs are usually compressed to fuck and suffer significantly in an attempt to make them louder. There really isn't any technology gap...it's the same recordings and vinyl records have a wider range and can be more dynamic so if anything aside from the portability records are more high tech.

Minor audio differences are not really why most non-audiophiles buy records though, the experience of listening to a record is different that popping a CD in or playing your iPod, the art is at its full size, and as raveheart said vinyl has a warmer and more analog sound, as opposed to the more cold and digital vibe of MP3s.

ravenheart
12-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Technically speaking, high quality vinyl has a larger frequency range (especially on the low end) than CDs do, although most humans would not be able to pick this up, especially without a really nice sound system. It's also a matter of the mastering used on modern CDs and vinyl, for some reason CDs are usually compressed to fuck and suffer significantly in an attempt to make them louder. There really isn't any technology gap...it's the same recordings and vinyl records have a wider range and can be more dynamic so if anything aside from the portability records are more high tech.

Minor audio differences are not really why most non-audiophiles buy records though, the experience of listening to a record is different that popping a CD in or playing your iPod, the art is at its full size, and as raveheart said vinyl has a warmer and more analog sound, as opposed to the more cold and digital vibe of MP3s.

All of this, plus, very simply, I want something for my money. Not a digital copy of something.

darkguardian50
12-14-2011, 08:32 PM
To be honest, I've never taken temperature into consideration when judging audio :lol: But please, elaborate if you will...

Vinyl is awesome but I'm not schilling it, lets face it, the format is all but dead. Aside from audiophiles and collectors most people don't follow it anymore.

In regards to the statement above, not to be a dick but the fact that you don't get what he is saying sorta proves my point. Thats not a knock. But its not bullshit. Ravenheart is 100% correct btw. Its a warmer sound. Think of it in comparison to the older Marshall Tube amps that alot of guitarists love so much. Or Tubes vs Solid State in general.

Also not everyone can hear this stuff, that doesn't mean its not there. Again thats not a insult, its just the way it is.

TonyD
12-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Vinyl is awesome but I'm not schilling it, lets face it, the format is all but dead. Aside from audiophiles and collectors most people don't follow it anymore.

In regards to the statement above, not to be a dick but the fact that you don't get what he is saying sorta proves my point. Thats not a knock. But its not bullshit. Ravenheart is 100% correct btw. Its a warmer sound. Think of it in comparison to the older Marshall Tube amps that alot of guitarists love so much. Or Tubes vs Solid State in general.

Also not everyone can hear this stuff, that doesn't mean its not there. Again thats not a insult, its just the way it is.

Warm sound isn't really what makes a tube amp different... but that's different story.

I think one of the things about vinyl that doesn't get noticed is that a lot of the time you get a low frequency chorus effect, whether it's the hole in the record that's not perfectly centered or being slightly warped.

KillerCannabis
12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Warner Brothers will re-release Beyond Magnetic by Metallica on CD on January 31 after its DD release on December 13.

MUSICTAP.net

BloodoftheKings
12-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Warner Brothers will re-release Beyond Magnetic by Metallica on CD on January 31 after its DD release on December 13.

MUSICTAP.net

So can we count this for 2012 end of the year list?

DisposableJustice
12-30-2011, 10:26 AM

MUSICTAP.net

:party:

nice I'd rather have CD

hellawaits77ny
12-30-2011, 04:21 PM
:party:

nice I'd rather have CD

Me too

Onioner
12-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Cool that there's gonna be a physical release, but if they have it mastered for CD it's probably going to sound just as bad as Death Magnetic did.

IrritatedTrout
12-31-2011, 09:29 AM
I'll be buying the CD when it's released.

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 07:15 AM
I'll be buying the CD when it's released.

Yep.