PDA

View Full Version : Hipster black metal

DethMaiden
12-09-2011, 05:39 AM
I wrote a column two nights ago I think some people on here would be interested in reading/flaming me for:

http://www.idsnews.com/news/weekend/story.aspx?id=84578

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Obviously I have no interest in either black metal or indie, and I tend to love genre cross-overs and varied influences in music, because staleness is just about the worst thing that can happen to any genre (hello, power metal), but nothing you describe (perfectly well) in that article sounds like anything I would consider a good thing were it to be happening to a genre I did care about.

DethMaiden
12-09-2011, 06:32 AM
It's kind of more of a fanbase thing than anything else. The black metal people who don't like Wolves in the Throne Room dislike them as much because they bring in fans who aren't normally into black metal as because they don't sound like Mayhem circa 1994. My argument is that you should embrace the fact that more people are getting into good music and not feel the need to draw so many arbitrary genre lines to delineate what is true from what is false.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 06:34 AM
My argument is that you should embrace the fact that more people are getting into good music and not feel the need to draw so many arbitrary genre lines to delineate what is true from what is false.

All well and good until the shows are full of pretend fans who are just going along to the latest cool thing to be able to say they were there.

GarageMetal468
12-09-2011, 06:36 AM
:hmm: Why do we have to use the term "hipster" when talking about metal?

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 06:42 AM
:hmm: Why do we have to use the term "hipster" when talking about metal?

This

Until a band crops up wearing corpsepaint and flannel simultaneously, I refuse to acknowledge the term "hipster black metal". :hmm:

Not to trash your article Brad, I found it entertaining.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Really not getting the flannel=hipster references...

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 07:05 AM
The flannel=hipster correlation is probably about 95% stereotype to be honest.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 07:08 AM

95% US stereotype?

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 07:16 AM
95% US stereotype?

Precisely.

Though I don't really see the purpose in acknowledging "hipsters" as their own species whatsoever.

IrritatedTrout
12-09-2011, 07:16 AM
I only know anything about half the bands and terms used in that article. I think I like it that way.:cool: Not even really into the early BM bands except for Mayhem and Burzum. Respect their work though.

Seventhzealot
12-09-2011, 07:28 AM

I can see why it is such a rage though. A couple of hipsters I know do wear flannels regularly :eyes:

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 07:34 AM
I can see why it is such a rage though. A couple of hipsters I know do wear flannels regularly :eyes:

I guess maybe hipster needs to be broken down into various subgenres :lol:

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 07:44 AM
I guess maybe hipsters need to be broken

Yep.

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Yep.

Awesome. ;)

Sanitarium78
12-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I must be getting old. Am I the only one who doesn't know who/what the fuck people are talking about on here when they make all these "hipster" referrences:confused:

Seriously, this is the only place online where I read anything about them.

Maiden33
12-09-2011, 08:01 AM
I read things about hipsters everywhere, but this is probably the only place where I constantly see it used as a modifier for forms of music. I'm with Ravenheart's old point about how "Hipster" isn't necessarily the correct word, but this concept is a substantial thing that ought to be acknowledged.

IrritatedTrout
12-09-2011, 08:04 AM
I must be getting old. Am I the only one who doesn't know who/what the fuck people are talking about on here when they make all these "hipster" referrences:confused:

Seriously, this is the only place online where I read anything about them.

I might vaguely understand what it is but I think it's mostly just become a derogatory term for something that sucks.

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I might vaguely understand what it is but I think it's mostly just become a derogatory term for something that sucks.

Exactly. It's pretty much devolved into meaninglessness.

Seventhzealot
12-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Exactly. It's pretty much devolved into meaninglessness.

My interpretation of it was someone who has an opinion or a taste which is completely different to what the "mainstream" signifies, just for the heck for it and with a degree of condescension at considering oneself "underground".

Atleast that is what I think it meant to start with.

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 08:35 AM
My interpretation of it was someone who has an opinion or a taste which is completely different to what the "mainstream" signifies, just for the heck for it and with a degree of condescension at considering oneself "underground".

Atleast that is what I think it meant to start with.

Yeah, but nowadays it's used too often and too inappropriately. Some people will call anything they dislike "hipster".

And even when the term is properly applied, it's still used too goddamn much. Why is there so much conversation about these people? I think what it boils down to is that a lot of people like to target their general dislike for anything/everything at hipsters.

Seventhzealot
12-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah, but nowadays it's used too often and too inappropriately. Some people will call anything they dislike "hipster".

And even when the term is properly applied, it's still used too goddamn much. Why is there so much conversation about these people? I think what it boils down to is that a lot of people like to target their general dislike for anything/everything at hipsters.

Yeah I agree about the part where it is just bandied around too often these days. For what it is worth I think the people who force themselves to have an opinion contrary to the mainstream are just fooling themselves and its not really worth wasting anyone's time to bracket them into any form of sub-culture.

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 08:46 AM
This made me chuckle.

http://www.last.fm/group/If+You+Aren't+A+False+Don't+Entry

jhdeity
12-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Hipsters are growing like weeds around here. Every chick on facebook has a iphone pic with those stupid black rimmed glasses. While I can agree the beared flanel guy is probably Example A, the black rimmed glasses are the #1 Hipster apparatus. It's gotten so bad I see artists on Kimmel or whatever wearing those douchetacular black rimmed glasses with no lenses just to make the fashion statement.

Anyone who says they haven't seen hipsters just wasn't looking at their faces...

As far as metal hipsters, I haven't read the article yet but that Agalloch video I saw from Baltimore was full of them. Flanel, beard and black rimmed glasses. Little sheep clones who are used to 8-sided dice and World of Warcraft trying to be metal but instead all with cameras in hand taking video to post how "troo" they are on facebook. I'm not judging anyone for any of those things, just stating facts.

Metal Hipsters definitely exist and I don't have a problem with them really. Just those glasses...

brutal_descent
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM
^ I wear thick rimmed glasses, but they actually have lenses. I've had a prescription for glasses since 3rd grade, and the reason why I got the thick rimmed kind is because I prefer those over the wired ones.

Spiral_Slave
12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I'd really like to read this, but for some reason it keeps saying the site cannot be opened...any one care to help a brother out and do some copy paste action?

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Yep, silly clown glasses are a massive fashion thing here too.

They looked stupid on Elvis Costello in the '60s, they look stupid now, but with the extra element of being totally fake in 90% of cases.

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 11:50 AM
http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time/306x306/buddy-holly.jpg

mankvill
12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
>liking or disliking a band depending on their image or their fanbase

I sure hope you guys don't do this.

DethMaiden
12-09-2011, 12:12 PM
^ I wear thick rimmed glasses, but they actually have lenses. I've had a prescription for glasses since 3rd grade, and the reason why I got the thick rimmed kind is because I prefer those over the wired ones.

Precisely this. Terrible eyesight means glasses, not wanting to look like a middle-aged accountant means black plastic frames.

jhdeity
12-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Precisely this. Terrible eyesight means glasses, not wanting to look like a middle-aged accountant means black plastic frames.

Just telling it like it is. Not judging people who chose that style because they liked it but the trend is borderline obnoxious at this point. Funny as I was typing this I saw Willis McGahee on JRIB wearing them. hahahaha

jhdeity
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Cool article. Very well written. I like Sleigh Bells for what it's worth. I would like to add Metal Hipsters love the word "shoegaze" more than any other word in the English language... but you already knew that.

ChildrenofSodom
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Honestly, I only ever hear about this kvlt black metal vs hipster black metal conflict when I read your articles. That either means you're aggregating a ton of the decentralized rumblings of the scene and presenting a unique narrative....or you're making a mountain out of mole hills. ;)

I don't go to shows much anymore, and don't associate with many metalheads IRL, so I don't experience the conflict. I don't dress kvlt OR hipster-y, so I can't relate to this war. Then again, I also like Satyricon and Cradle of Filth, so maybe my black metal opinion isn't worth much :lol:

Maiden33
12-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Yes Brad, because every person who wears glasses without black plastic frames looks like a middle-aged accountant. :tongue:

powerslave_85
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
They looked stupid on Elvis Costello in the '60sIncorrect. Nothing about Elvis Costello is stupid.

MPF
12-09-2011, 03:35 PM
In case you didn't see this early this morning:

From Ken Sorceron (Singer/Guitarist of Abigail Williams)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/376140_10151017901700459_629590458_21866624_170526 3500_n.jpg

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 04:02 PM
http://i.qkme.me/D12.jpg

powerslave_85
12-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Yeah, because when I think "whose opinion on black metal is important?" I think "the guy from Abigail Williams."

xStructualDefect
12-09-2011, 04:10 PM
>disliking a band depending on their image or their fanbase

I sure hope you guys don't do this.

Too bad many metalheads do this as much as many won't admit it.

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Too bad many metalheads do this as much as many won't admit it.

Honestly, I try not to. But it's hard sometimes.

http://www.billboard.com/photos/stylus/1064929-black-veil-brides-617-409.jpg

Although this is a poor example because they legitimately suck.

mankvill
12-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, because when I think "whose opinion on black metal is important?" I think "the guy from Abigail Williams."

New album is really good, but it's basically WITTR worship.

ChildrenofSodom
12-09-2011, 04:17 PM
CoF look absolutely ridiculous, but goddamn, a few of their songs are pretty good.

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 04:21 PM
CoF look absolutely ridiculous, but goddamn, a few of their songs are pretty good.

I agree.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 04:33 PM

I'm actually stunned this sentence has come from you.

ChildrenofSodom
12-10-2011, 05:57 AM
I'm actually stunned this sentence has come from you.

I'm offender, actually. Economist and accountant aren't the same thing. ;)