PDA

View Full Version : Ravenheart's 2011

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 06:02 AM
OK, so, I don't normally do this, but fuck it, I'm bored.

Will do a full top 20 albums in due course, but I've still got a lot of stuff to listen to.

So some of the smaller-scale, just for fun type stuff first, starting with biggest disappointments, not really in order:

Opeth - Heritage
Was totally on board with the idea of this album, I just think the execution of that idea was a failure. The album is just too dull, and to be honest, hasn't really achieved the '70s sound they wanted to achieve. It's like someone took Opeth's sound and said "what would happen if we just didn't growl, but played exactly the same way as normal with a different, less-heavy guitar tone". This is what would happen.

Cathedral's Final Ever Performance
Scheduled for December 3 at The Forum in London, and had been on the calendar for a good six months or more. After the 20th Anniversary show in 2010, where they had no support and played two full sets, including a one-time reunion of the original line-up, playing the debut album front to back for the first time ever, I was expecting something equally special for their farewell. Instead, three (count 'em) support bands playing just half an hour each, one of which was completely-mismatched '70s prog band Cressida, then a ordinary 95-minute Cathedral set with no special songs (they've got 40+ songs they've never played live that they could have debuted), none of the new songs off the forthcoming final album, no guests.

Additionally, the event shirts didn't have the date on them, the new 12" single was a ridiculous £13, and the opening band were on so quickly after the doors opened, most people didn't get into the venue in time to see them.

On top of all that they changed the designationo of the event (but not on the merchandise) to "Cathedral's Final Northern Hemisphere Performance", so they they could go and play their actual final ever shows on the Soundwave tour in Australia in January 2012.

Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare
No point re-writing an explanation. Just read this (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/alice-cooper-welcome-2-my-nightmare/).

Other disappointments from 2011: Kenny Wayne Shepherd live, London concert promoters (particularly those responsible for the L.A. Guns, Onslaught, Solstice, Nomad Son and Helstar shows), Gregg Allman live, Thrashfest's line-up.

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 06:07 AM
This should be interesting :D

I pretty much agree with you on the Opeth record, about it being too dull and whatnot. Though I did genuinely enjoy portions of it.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 06:13 AM
More small stuff:

Top HOLY FUCK, YES! moments

Finally seeing Rob Zombie live
Seeing Iced Earth with Matt Barlow at Sweden Rock
Rage acoustic at Sweden Rock
My Dying Bride's anniversary show
Katatonia playing all of Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Finally seeing Goatsnake live
Deep Purple with an orchestra
Interviewing Jon Schaffer and Stu Block
Overkill pulling rare songs out of nowhere at Sweden Rock

Best live performances *

Rob Zombie (Brixton Academy, London)
Alice Cooper (Alexandra Palace, London)
Dio Disciples (Islington Academy, London)
My Dying Bride (Islington Academy, London)
Pain of Salvation (Brixton Academy, London, supporting Opeth)
Goatsnake (The Forum, London, supporting Godflesh)
Accept (The Garage, London)
Steelheart (Sweden Rock Festival)
Judas Priest (High Voltage Festival)
Pentagram (The Garage, London)

* one show left this year, which could get added to this list

Worst live performances

Destruction (Islington Academy, supporting Overkill)
L.A. Guns (The Underworld, London)
Gregg Allman (Barbican Centre, London)

IrritatedTrout
12-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Welcome 2 My Nightmare, while not a great album, is a major improvement over Along Came A Spider. I really enjoyed it.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Welcome 2 My Nightmare, while not a great album, is a major improvement over Along Came A Spider. I really enjoyed it.

I prefer everything on ACAS over everything on W2MN with the exception of 'When Hell Comes Home'.

IrritatedTrout
12-09-2011, 06:22 AM
:lol:Don't know what to say, I think When Hell Comes Home is easily one of the three worst tracks from the whole album.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 06:27 AM
:lol:Don't know what to say, I think When Hell Comes Home is easily one of the three worst tracks from the whole album.

S'ok to be wrong ;)

I'd get used to it too if I were you, being in Germany. You're not allowed to be right there ;)

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
I would not have taken you for a Rob Zombie fan, ravenheart.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 06:42 AM
I would not have taken you for a Rob Zombie fan, ravenheart.

:lol: Where've you been? ;)

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 06:53 AM
:lol: Where've you been? ;)

Just out of curiosity, how would you rank his solo albums? Since I know that you tend to hear a lot of things differently than some of us :lol:

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, how would you rank his solo albums? Since I know that you tend to hear a lot of things differently than some of us :lol:

Educated Horses
The Sinister Urge
Hellbilly Deluxe
Hellbilly Deluxe II

Different to you, right? ;)

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Educated Horses
The Sinister Urge
Hellbilly Deluxe
Hellbilly Deluxe II

Yes... as I expected :D

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 07:14 AM
If he'd managed to make twice as many actual songs for Hellbilly Deluxe, and half as much filler, that might be higher. But it's an EP with a load of crap between the actual songs.

And HD2 just has too many bad songs. Educated Horses has none, and is also easily his most creative and varied album, and The Sinister Urge is basically what Hellbilly Deluxe should have been.

Spiner202
12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
That Alice Cooper review was just plain wrong in a few parts:

It was the beginning of a truly wide-ranging collection of music which would see him through a very successful period with albums like Goes To Hell and Lace And Whiskey following suit

These albums weren't really successful. They each had a hit single, but I don't see how the albums themselves marked a good period for Alice. Especially since his descent into alcoholism got worse (there was no tour for Goes to Hell, and he had to go to rehab after Lace & Whiskey).

Steven doesn’t even get a mention by name

Does he need to be mentioned? He wasn't until the trilogy of songs on the original, and that sort of thing didn't need to be done again. In fact, I think this Nightmare is about Alice. He has repeatedly said "what would it be like if Alice had another nightmare 35 years later?".

The album feels like it wants to be a sequel to Dirty Diamonds more than it does Welcome To My Nightmare.

Firstly, Alice has said this wasn't supposed to be a direct sequel. It was another nightmare. Also, I've heard way more opinions that it's more of a sequel to Goes to Hell, but I really can't think of another Alice album that sounds like this.

As for the music itself, I could see how someone could dislike it. There are a lot of reasons this album should suck: auto-tune, disco, surf-rock songs, Ke$ha, and the list goes on. I hate all of those things, but I really think Alice pulled it off here. With the exception of Ghouls Gone Wild (it isn't awful, it's just not up to the rest of the album), every track is pretty enjoyable here. For me, it worked really well as a concept, especially if you follow the story that Alice laid out.

DethMaiden
12-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Educated Horses
The Sinister Urge
Hellbilly Deluxe
Hellbilly Deluxe II

This is my ranking, though I love Hellbilly Deluxe and third is no slight against it.

HDII on the other hand... :barf:

Epidemic Reign
12-09-2011, 07:38 AM
If he'd managed to make twice as many actual songs for Hellbilly Deluxe, and half as much filler, that might be higher. But it's an EP with a load of crap between the actual songs.

And HD2 just has too many bad songs. Educated Horses has none, and is also easily his most creative and varied album, and The Sinister Urge is basically what Hellbilly Deluxe should have been.

Well we agree on HD2 anyway ;) I would rank Educated Horses below HD and Sinister Urge (which are basically tied for me), though you're absolutely right about it being his most creative and varied album. And I kind of figured you would put it first for that reason.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 07:51 AM
That Alice Cooper review was just plain wrong in a few parts

Nothing in there is factually incorrect.

These albums weren't really successful. They each had a hit single, but I don't see how the albums themselves marked a good period for Alice. Especially since his descent into alcoholism got worse (there was no tour for Goes to Hell, and he had to go to rehab after Lace & Whiskey).

Read it more carefully. It says there were successful albums, THEN there was Goes To Hell and Lace And Whiskey, which follow suit stylistically. In actual fact, those two albums are every bit as good as the successful ones before it. Especially School's Out, which is actually a pretty shitty record.

Does he need to be mentioned? He wasn't until the trilogy of songs on the original, and that sort of thing didn't need to be done again. In fact, I think this Nightmare is about Alice. He has repeatedly said "what would it be like if Alice had another nightmare 35 years later?".

Firstly, Alice has said this wasn't supposed to be a direct sequel. It was another nightmare.

This is purely a point of whether or not you care about the lack of continuity. If it's not a sequel, don't call it 'Welcome 2 My Nightmare'. He tried to make a sequel. Whether or not he really wanted to continue the story, or he just wanted to re-access the cache of the original, only he could say.

Incidentally, it's not another nightmare. It's a collection of nightmares, like the first one was. And I don't agree it's auto-biographical in any way. Except that in a sense the character of Alice was always Steven's sub-conscious or alter-ego anyway.

Also, I've heard way more opinions that it's more of a sequel to Goes to Hell, but I really can't think of another Alice album that sounds like this.

It doesn't sound like any others per se, but that's not what I was saying. It's taking the same approach as Dirty Diamonds, which is to say he's trying to be varied for the sake of being varied, not because he needs to be. Dirty Diamonds had the benefit of some good songs, which W2MN doesn't have, but both are purely attempts to recapture what made him big in the first place.

As for the music itself, I could see how someone could dislike it. There are a lot of reasons this album should suck: auto-tune, disco, surf-rock songs, Ke$ha, and the list goes on. I hate all of those things, but I really think Alice pulled it off here. With the exception of Ghouls Gone Wild (it isn't awful, it's just not up to the rest of the album), every track is pretty enjoyable here. For me, it worked really well as a concept, especially if you follow the story that Alice laid out.

And there are lots of reasons parts of it do suck. The disco track is awful. Ghouls Gone Wild is awful (actually, probably the worst Alice Cooper song of the last 30 years, at least). The Ke$ha track is good, but Alice has proven before that he can do those kinds of cross-over tracks well before, so that's not really a surprise. When Hell Comes Home and I Am Made of You are brilliant. The rest is, at best, boring, albeit catchy. I'll Bite Your Face Off is fine live - it really benefits from being much heavier - but otherwise it's just a weak rock track.

It's annoying how catchy things like The Last Man On Earth are, and I can't really fault it for that, but the way he makes upbeat music then pretends to be this evil character singing about nightmares really irks me. If you want to make an upbeat rock 'n' roll album then fine, do it, but stop pretending to be something else at the same time.

That's why for me Brutal Planet worked so much better. It was about negative subjects and it sounded like it.

ravenheart
12-09-2011, 07:52 AM
HDII on the other hand... :barf:

Have you heard the extra tracks he did for the limited edition? Those are better.

DethMaiden
12-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Have you heard the extra tracks he did for the limited edition? Those are better.

Yeah, I heard they were but I haven't gotten around to hearing them yet.

ravenheart
12-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Top 5 EPs of 2011

This will be dominated by doom metal (1-3), and particularly by tiny doom label Eyes Like Snow (1 and 3), because they're just awesome at EPs, frankly.

Can't be bothered with mini reviews for these. Links provided where they've been reviewed previously.

And y'all can bloody well find links to listen to it yourself. I'm not Google :finger:

5. Pharaoh
Ten Years
Cruz Del Sur Music

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519fhMOLWjL._SS250_.jpg

4. Voodoo Johnson
Black Powder Mother Loader

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AhS1ZIZHL._SS250_.jpg

3. Lord Vicar/Funeral Circle
Split
Eyes Like Snow

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512LZ1GrimL._SS250_.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/lord-vicar-funeral-circle-split/

2. Gallow God
False Mystical Prose
PsycheDOOMelic Records

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6141uAIM2UL._SS250_.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/gallow-god-false-mystical-prose/

1. Apostle of Solitude/Rituals of The Oak/The Flight of Sleipnir
Split
Eyes Like Snow

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519IqUqhaWL._SS250_.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/apostle-of-solitude-rituals-of-the-oak-the-flight-of-sleipnir-split/

I have no doubt the new Cynic EP would have made my list had I heard it, but I haven't.

larvtard
12-12-2011, 09:41 AM
That Lord Vicar/Funeral Circle split is great.

Also, the point of putting links in is that many of us will be too lazy to look it up ourselves, and with a link we won't be lazy. I know you're thinking to yourself, "well, it's not my problem," and that's fair, but don't you want people to listen to the stuff on your lists? I know it's sad that so many of us won't even bother listening to this stuff if it doesn't have a link, but that's how it is.

ravenheart
12-12-2011, 09:54 AM
the point of putting links in is that many of us will be too lazy to look it up ourselves, and with a link we won't be lazy

That's precisely it, and I'm not encouraging laziness. I already know how lazy most people are here when something happens with a band and every goes "oh, had never heard of this band", when they'd been talked about on here months previous and they just didn't bother Googling.

Yeah, I want people to check these bands out, but if they don't... they don't get listen to cool stuff.

S'not like I'd be helping the bands out either, since most of the clowns here would just download it from some blog anyway.

Can you feel my cynicism coming out of your screen? I'm like a cynical version of the girl from 'The Ring' ;)

larvtard
12-12-2011, 11:29 AM
That's precisely it, and I'm not encouraging laziness. I already know how lazy most people are here when something happens with a band and every goes "oh, had never heard of this band", when they'd been talked about on here months previous and they just didn't bother Googling.

Yeah, I want people to check these bands out, but if they don't... they don't get listen to cool stuff.

S'not like I'd be helping the bands out either, since most of the clowns here would just download it from some blog anyway.

Can you feel my cynicism coming out of your screen? I'm like a cynical version of the girl from 'The Ring' ;)

Fair enough. I just don't understand why you'd go through the trouble of posting a list if you don't even care if people listen to it or not.

Maiden33
12-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Pharaoh are actually from my general area (greater Philadelphia area, I believe) - but they never do anything or play shows so I don't even really think of them as being from around here. I've been recommended them before but never really got around to checking them out for real.

ravenheart
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Fair enough. I just don't understand why you'd go through the trouble of posting a list if you don't even care if people listen to it or not.

Because I've done my bit, same as the other lists (the onerg who don't just do it for the attention, by posting the recommendations and views, it's up to you whether you take people up on it or not. That's the point of doing it. Catering for laziness isn't. If you want to be lazy, fine, but you miss out on great music and people who can be bothered to make an effort don't.

People who want to be spoonfed are no better than pop radio fans. How much effort does it take to Google a Myspace page or whatever and hit play? Especially when browsers have built in Google now.

ravenheart
12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Pharaoh are actually from my general area (greater Philadelphia area, I believe) - but they never do anything or play shows so I don't even really think of them as being from around here. I've been recommended them before but never really got around to checking them out for real.

Give them a shot. The new EP is probably my favourite release by them. They're not especially varied, like most of their ilk, but they're good at what they do.

larvtard
12-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Because I've done my bit, same as the other lists (the onerg who don't just do it for the attention, by posting the recommendations and views, it's up to you whether you take people up on it or not. That's the point of doing it. Catering for laziness isn't. If you want to be lazy, fine, but you miss out on great music and people who can be bothered to make an effort don't.

People who want to be spoonfed are no better than pop radio fans. How much effort does it take to Google a Myspace page or whatever and hit play? Especially when browsers have built in Google now.

I actually just have YouTube open, so it's not hard at all, but I'm speaking on behalf of other people.

ravenheart
12-16-2011, 06:40 AM
2011 in figures:

Recorded
Studio Albums/EPs heard: 139 *
Live Albums heard: 4
Live DVDs seen: 3

Live
Different bands seen: 114
From gigs seen: 64
And festivals attended: 2

I'm beginning to get my album list in order. Narrowed down to the 25 which are going to make the list (top 20 plus five honourable mentions), but no clue on order yet besides #1.

* Still a handful to listen to (pre-emptively included in the "albums heard" figure above), but not expecting any of them to dislodge anything from my top 25. There's a chance other things will be heard before the year finishes too.

ravenheart
12-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Top 5 Live Releases of 2011

There are only a handful of factors which make a live release worth purchasing, and they apply to pretty much everything.

a) Sound quality (+video quality if it's a DVD)
b) Song selection
c) How many other live releases the band has, and how similar they are
d) They're probably only of interest to existing fans

Additionally, DVDs also have
e) Quality of performance/show/pyro etc. - this rarely matters on a live CD
f) Whether or not the concert has been fucked with (stupid effects, interruptions with backstage footage/interviews, etc.)

Therefore, no point really highlighting anything extra about each of these as they all have positives in each of the areas above, and review links are provided. All of these are highly recommended for anyone already a fan of these bands:

Gotthard
Homegrown: Alive In Lugano (CD+DVD/2LP)
Nuclear Blast

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZcMxguY3L._SS250_.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/gotthard-homegrown-live-in-lugano/

Hypocrisy
Hell Over Sofia: 20 Years of Chaos And Confusion
(DVD+2CD/Blu-Ray)
Nuclear Blast

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oF%2BpGzsnL._SS250_.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/hypocrisy-hell-over-sofia-20-years-of-chaos-and-confusion/

Iced Earth
Festivals of The Wicked
(2DVD+CD/2DVD/CD)
Century Media

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61yi009IE-L._SS250_.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/iced-earth-festivals-of-the-wicked/

Bonfire
Fireworks... Still Alive!
(CD)
Yesterrock Records

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Guw3wg02L._SS250_.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/bonfire-fireworks-still-alive/

AC/DC
Live At River Plate
(DVD/Blu-Ray)
Columbia Records

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61zSEogqTKL._SS250_.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/acdc-live-at-river-plate/

ravenheart
01-01-2012, 01:04 PM
OK, after much deliberation my top 20 is finally nailed down now that I've eliminated my final decision.

There's still some minor placing ordering to work out, but I can definitely now kick off with my honourable mentions. I honestly thought a few of these would make the top 20. There's some damn good stuff here.

Not in any particular order:

Venom - Fallen Angels (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/venom-fallen-angels/)
Evangelist - In Partibus Infidelium
Demon's Eye - The Stranger Within (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/demons-eye-the-stranger-within/)
Jon Amor Blues Group - Jon Amor Blues Group (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/jon-amor-blues-group-jon-amor-blues-group/)
Destruction - Day of Reckoning (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/destruction-day-of-reckoning/)
Grifter - Grifter
Onslaught - Sounds of Violence (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/onslaught-sounds-of-violence/)
Firebird - Double Diamond (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/firebird-double-diamond/)
Flotsam & Jetsam - The Cold
Havok - Time Is Up (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/havok-time-is-up/)
Castle - In Witch Order (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/castle-in-witch-order/)
Surtr - World of Doom (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/surtr-world-of-doom/)
Doogie White - As Yet Untitled (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/doogie-white-as-yet-untitled/)
Memory Driven - Animus (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/memory-driven-animus/)
Overdrive - Angelmaker (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/overdrive-angelmaker/)
DoomDogs - Unleash The Truth (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/doomdogs-unleash-the-truth/)
Fastway - Eat Dog Eat
U.S. Christmas - The Valley Path (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/us-christmas-the-valley-path/)
Pombagira - Iconoclast Dream
Premonition 13 - 13 (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/premonition-13-13/)
Pylon - Armoury of God
J.D. Overdrive - Sex, Whiskey & Southern Blood (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/jd-overdrive-sex-whiskey-southern-blood/)
Leather Nun America - Kult Occult
The Flight of Sleipnir - Essence of Nine (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/the-flight-of-sleipnir-essence-of-nine/)

ravenheart
01-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Top 20 of the year will go up in batches of 5 over the coming days. Predictions welcome!

hb420
01-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Arch Enemy, Orchid, Pentagram, Funeral, Hammers of Misfortune, Krux, Memory Driven, Anthrax

ravenheart
01-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Arch Enemy, Orchid, Pentagram, Funeral, Hammers of Misfortune, Krux, Memory Driven, Anthrax

Not bad. Memory Driven were actually in the honourable mentions above. Hammers of Misfortune didn't make it and I dropped Funeral when I realised the disc is a compilation remastered demos from 1996. The others feature, although none are higher than 5th.

Natrlhi
01-01-2012, 06:24 PM
It'd be a nice surprise to see Bloodiest in there somewhere. I know you liked it when you first reviewed it.

hellawaits77ny
01-01-2012, 09:45 PM

Sinister Urge is my favorite album of his. I despised Educated Horses and was indifferent on HD2, so I don't really listen to him much. I will say though, I saw him live this past summer, and he still has it. First time I saw him was in 2002, when I was a junior in high school. Doesn't seem to have lost anything.

ravenheart
01-02-2012, 05:33 AM
It'd be a nice surprise to see Bloodiest in there somewhere. I know you liked it when you first reviewed it.

And because it's the only chance of something being on both our lists? ;)

ravenheart
01-02-2012, 05:35 AM
Sinister Urge is my favorite album of his. I despised Educated Horses and was indifferent on HD2, so I don't really listen to him much. I will say though, I saw him live this past summer, and he still has it. First time I saw him was in 2002, when I was a junior in high school. Doesn't seem to have lost anything.

I don't get people who don't like Educated Horses. Almost all of his best writing and most inventive music is on that album. He made his cleverest stuff since White Zombie, all the Zombie fans who just want 10 versions of Dragula on every album cried, so he went back to making stupid shit. And look what we ended up with.

Sinister Urge definitely comes in second though. For its riffs alone, if nothing else. Ardent fans of Hellbilly 1 actually whined about Sinister Urge too. Fortunately he ignored them that time. It's sad that he caved with Hellbilly 2.

But live - holy crap. Saw him twice in 2011. Never seen him before that because he's scared of flying, or water, or foreign people, or something. Finally though, and SO worth the wait.

Epidemic Reign
01-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Saw him twice in 2011. Never seen him before that because he's scared of flying, or water, or foreign people, or something.

A friend of mine who used to work at a concert venue met him backstage once. She described him as a very, very strange person.

ravenheart
01-02-2012, 05:58 AM
A friend of mine who used to work at a concert venue met him backstage once. She described him as a very, very strange person.

:lol: I'd love to interview him one day.

Natrlhi
01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
And because it's the only chance of something being on both our lists? ;)

That too.

ravenheart
01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
That too.

Did you hear the new US Christmas? I seem to remember their last one making your 2010 list?

Only an honourable mention for me, but it's still an awesome CD.

ravenheart
01-03-2012, 04:35 AM
Right, let's get this rolling. Shouldn't take long. First batch is numbers 16-20. The first couple appeared in my best Doom Metal of 2011 thread. The other three are definitely not doom.

20. Orchid
Capricorn
The Church Within Records

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/orchid-capricorn/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WmJM3UmuL._SS250_.jpg

19. Krux
III: He Who Sleeps Amongst The Stars
GMR Music

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/krux-iii-he-who-sleeps-amongst-the-stars/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61HRSeANJ0L._SS250_.jpg

18. Thalamus
Subterfuge
Transubstans Records

Bluesy hard rock from Sweden very similar to The Quill in many respects. Surprisingly better than their 2008 debut Beneath A Dying Sun, it's all big, heavy, bluesy riffs, proper solos, proper choruses, low on the cliche-factor. Along with The Quill's record they make up two of the five best hard rock albums of the year. It will probably be found on outstanding US label Grooveyard Records in North America.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Y9fcEQGUL._SS250_.jpg

17. The Quill
Full Circle
Metalville

Losing Magnus Ekwall on vocals could have been disasterous, but what a choice in recruiting Magnus Arnar from Ground Mower. He's absolutely perfect for them and they've heavied up considerably, giving them a bit of a fuzzier edge but losing none of their massive riffs and chorus hooks.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DgCCsm8kL._SS250_.jpg

16. Riotgod
Invisible Empire
Metalville

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/riotgod-invisible-empire/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414MC4O6TJL._SS250_.jpg

Natrlhi
01-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Did you hear the new US Christmas? I seem to remember their last one making your 2010 list?

Only an honourable mention for me, but it's still an awesome CD.I did, and I liked it. It was better than their last full-length, in my opinion. Don't know yet where it will fall on my list, but obviously it's not in the top twenty-five (which isn't necessarily a negative for the album, since I listened to so much great stuff this year).

ravenheart
01-03-2012, 07:33 AM
I did, and I liked it. It was better than their last full-length, in my opinion. Don't know yet where it will fall on my list, but obviously it's not in the top twenty-five (which isn't necessarily a negative for the album, since I listened to so much great stuff this year).

Well no, it's not in your top 20 because it's not in any of our top 20s. See, it turns out, you're the hipster of the group. Your top 10 is the only one which contains at least one entry from each of the other four top 10s ;)

In before you say that's because you're right ;)

MetalIsArt
01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Ravenheart likes teh doom & many other styles of methul.

Cool. :allan:

ravenheart
01-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Second batch, numbers 11-15.

15. Burden
A Hole In The Shell
Van Records

Very easy to sum up. This is what Crowbar's album should have been.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Pzq5mEz6L._SS250_.jpg

14. Arch Enemy
Khaos Legions
Century Media

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/arch-enemy-khaos-legions/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515zmxxD1BL._SS250_.jpg

13. Artillery
My Blood
Metal Mind Productons

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/artillery-my-blood/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fHhtX-7GL._SS250_.jpg

12. Bloodiest
Descent
Relapse Records

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/bloodiest-descent/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c1GE-S3uL._SS250_.jpg

11. Kruk
It Will Not Come Back
Metal Mind Productions

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/kruk-it-will-not-come-back/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uJdEVT5VL._SS250_.jpg

ravenheart
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Predictions on the top 10, anyone?

To help narrow it down, it consists of: 2 x prog, 1 x doom, 1 x thrash, 1 x blues, 1 x acoustic, 1 x heavy metal, 1 x rock, 2 x hard/retro rock

Natrlhi
01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Well no, it's not in your top 20 because it's not in any of our top 20s. See, it turns out, you're the hipster of the group. Your top 10 is the only one which contains at least one entry from each of the other four top 10s ;)

In before you say that's because you're right ;)Any of the folowing responses will do:

That's because I can sniff out the gems from the garbage in each of your weak, pathetic lists.
That's because each of your lists contains as many as nine pieces of poop.
That's because I like a variety of music and not just one or two genres.
That's because I'm awesome.
That's because I'm right.

...and since when did the word "hipster" become synonymous with the word "copycat"?

Are you on drugs, son?

Oh, and one more thing...WHERE'S THAT FUCKING LIST?!? :finger:

Natrlhi
01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
...and I'm guessing the doom album is Funeral.

ravenheart
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
...and I'm guessing the doom album is Funeral.

Nope, that one gets dropped because its old material.

ravenheart
01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Any of the folowing responses will do:

That's because I can sniff out the gems from the garbage in each of your weak, pathetic lists.
That's because each of your lists contains as many as nine pieces of poop.
That's because I like a variety of music and not just one or two genres.
That's because I'm awesome.
That's because I'm right.

Whatever gets you through the day, pops ;)

...and since when did the word "hipster" become synonymous with the word "copycat"?

I wasn't suggesting you were copying, I was suggesting you only listen to the stuff that's been designated "in" by others. Hipster ;)

Hilariously, even James said "But... Brad?" when I said the results show Chris is the hipster of the group ;)

Oh, and one more thing...WHERE'S THAT FUCKING LIST?!? :finger:

I plan to post my last two batches of five on here tomorrow, therefore all five lists will go up on J:M tomorrow too. Assuming I can not play Batman Arkham City for long enough ;)

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Next 5, numbers 6 to 10.

10. Pentagram
Last Rites
Metal Blade

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/penagram-last-rites/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J601YoiVL._SS250_.jpg

9. Graveyard
Hisingen Blues
Nuclear Blast

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/graveyard-hisingen-blues/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KNvpp8xTL._SS250_.jpg

8. The Wheel
The Wheel
Music Buy Mail

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/the-wheel-the-wheel/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JviaB0mUL._SS250_.jpg

7. Iced Earth
Dystopia
Century Media

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/iced-earth-dystopia/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515hSFYbEJL._SS250_.jpg

6. Karl Demata Band
Cross The Mountain
Green Lizard Records

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/karl-demata-band-cross-the-mountain/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51I9m6hPNsL._SS250_.jpg

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 05:07 AM
Top five later. Predictions welcome. Remaining: 2 x prog, 1 x thrash, 1 x acoustic, 1 x rock.

treghet
01-04-2012, 05:18 AM
1 x thrash

Warbringer, right? ;)

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Warbringer, right? ;)

How'd you guess? ;)

Akumu
01-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm guessing Leprous is in there. :D

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 07:07 AM
I would say that given my past comments on various albums/bands/shows etc. throughout the year, three of the top five are obvious, and the other two aren't. To be fair though, they did mount a rather late charge on the list.

Natrlhi
01-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Nope, that one gets dropped because its old material.Ah, Pentagram. Should've known.

Warbringer, right? ;)
Nah, it's probably Havok.

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Nah, it's probably Havok.

Actually, no. Although I did love that disc, it was relegated to honourable mentions back on page 3.

I'm using "thrash" in the loosest possible sense for this album, by the way.

Natrlhi
01-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Dude. Somehow I totally missed your entire Page 3. That's odd. Unfortunate, too, because there's some good stuff there.

All caught up now. :D

DethMaiden
01-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Actually, no. Although I did love that disc, it was relegated to honourable mentions back on page 3.

I'm using "thrash" in the loosest possible sense for this album, by the way.

Obviously Worship Music.

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Right, let's drag this out a bit ;)

5. Ancient VVisdom
A Godlike Inferno
Shinebox Recordings

Holy shit. Actually got round to listening to this right at the end of 2011, and it romped straight into the top 5. Honestly, there's a real chance that if I'd been able to play through it a bit more, it might have even made 4. It's doom-rock-based, but it's entirely acoustic. Magnificent playing and vocals, and great songs. Bit short, but some real complexity in there.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41soRacaeVL._SS250_.jpg

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Obviously Worship Music.

Obviously ;)

4. Anthrax
Worship Music
Nuclear Blast

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/anthrax-worship-music/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yGluoH0wL._SS250_.jpg

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Down to the top 3 now. Two prog albums and one rock album.

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
3. Pain of Salvation
Road Salt Two
InsideOut

I don't think this is quite as good overall as Road Salt One (which I sadly heard too late to include in my list for 2010), but Jesus H. Christ could this band get any more creative? Sure at times they sound a little like they're trying to be Muse or Queen, but songs like She Softly Cries are just unbelievably good.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n3zNuMOzL._SS250_.jpg

SomewhereInTime72
01-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Fuck yeah Ravenheart and I agreeing on something. :rocker:

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Fuck yeah Ravenheart and I agreeing on something. :rocker:

There was Arch Enemy too ;)

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
2. Ray Wilson & Stiltskin
Unfulfillment
Jaggy Polski

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/ray-wilson-stiltskin-unfulfillment/

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/media/wilson/unfulfillment/RW_Stiltskin_Unfulfillment-250px.jpg

ravenheart
01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
1. Leprous
Bilateral
InsideOut

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/leprous-bilateral/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Jqh0-qsXL._SS250_.jpg

maidenpriest
01-05-2012, 02:32 AM
I really liked The Longest Night by Pharaoh but didn't realize they had made anything since...definitely checking this EP out!

ravenheart
01-05-2012, 03:02 AM
I really liked The Longest Night by Pharaoh but didn't realize they had made anything since...definitely checking this EP out!

New album is out in February.

Natrlhi
01-05-2012, 08:50 AM
1. Leprous
Bilateral
InsideOut

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/leprous-bilateral/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Jqh0-qsXL._SS250_.jpgI just gave this another listen. It's quite good, actually. Given more time, this may have really crept up my list. The vocals kept me away from it after the first few (albeit half-hearted) attempts, but I'm really starting to see the appeal here.

Ah well - I chose to omit quite a few albums like this from my list this year completely, because I don't have enough "evidence" to warrant ranking them highly, and I don't want to rank them low just because I didn't have a chance to listen to them more.

Anyway, nice pick. :fist: