PDA

View Full Version : 2012.....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

dcmetal108
11-19-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't think Lamb of God will make the top 10. I was the most vocal fan of it and it's only at number 4 on my list. For the board's album of the year, I think it's a race between Rush, Between The Buried and Me, and maybe Testament. This year is definitely going to be the most interesting top 10 because there has been no album to be released this year that everyone was jizzing themselves over.

No way will Testament by #1. It'll either be BTBAM or Rush and I'm leaning more towards Rush being #1.

BloodoftheKings
11-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Yes. I think all of these will be high in the list: Lamb of God, Converge, Pig Destroyer, Testament, Periphery, Between the Buried and Me. Also, those of you that are into Death Grips may feel that the album is great, but realize that there are not that many of you. Some fans might not consider the new Lamb of God or Pig Destroyer to be great, but they will still receive a lot more votes than Death Grips. I think that will even out the scores.

Does anyone really care about the new Lamb of God? Doesn't pretty much everyone agree that album is mediocre?

I predict Rush will be #1

Probably, BTBAM is also likely.

treghet
11-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Does anyone really care about the new Lamb of God? Doesn't pretty much everyone agree that album is mediocre?

I'm not the one to ask. ;)

mastodon421
11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
No way will Testament by #1. It'll either be BTBAM or Rush and I'm leaning more towards Rush being #1.

Testament has a shot, It's a new thrash album by an 80's thrash band that had insanely positive reception. I would say Overkill has a shot too, but The Electric Age wasn't nearly as well-received as Ironbound so it might not even make the top 10.

DethMaiden
11-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Is anything a little more criticky gonna do well on here this year? I haven't really had my finger on the board's pulse this year.

Spiner202
11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Testament has a shot, It's a new thrash album by an 80's thrash band that had insanely positive reception. I would say Overkill has a shot too, but The Electric Age wasn't nearly as well-received as Ironbound so it might not even make the top 10.

As somebody who is completely obsessed with thrash, I found the new Overkill extremely disappointing. There were some good songs, and it is much better than their mid-era stuff, but it was still a huge step down from Ironbound.

kalfitegrdan
11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
I think that the new Alcest also has a chance. Maybe (hopefully) Royal Thunder too.

jhdeity
11-19-2012, 06:51 PM

Probably, BTBAM is also likely.

We're talking about the board that voted a totally mediocre Iron Maiden cd #1...

I think Resolution is one of the 5 best cd's I've heard all year. I just saw LOG live and Undertow and Ghost Walking were INCREDIBLE live. Actually Straight to the Sun, Ghost Walking and Undertow are 3 of the 20 best songs I heard this year and Number 6 and Desolation are strong also. Mediocre? Not to me...

PVH5150
11-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Top 10 of 2012 for me.

1. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
2. Rush - Clockwork Angels
3. Accept - Stalingrad
4. Testament - Dark Roots of Earth
5. UFO - Seven Deadly
6. Meshuggah - Koloss
7. Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65
8. Ahab - The Giant
9. Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
10. Candlemass - Psalms For The Dead

BloodoftheKings
11-19-2012, 07:30 PM
We're talking about the board that voted a totally mediocre Iron Maiden cd #1...

That's a good point.

IrritatedTrout
11-19-2012, 07:40 PM

I think Resolution is one of the 5 best cd's I've heard all year. I just saw LOG live and Undertow and Ghost Walking were INCREDIBLE live. Actually Straight to the Sun, Ghost Walking and Undertow are 3 of the 20 best songs I heard this year and Number 6 and Desolation are strong also. Mediocre? Not to me...

The fact that it bugs you this much two years on is hilarious.

Natrlhi
11-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Is anything a little more criticky gonna do well on here this year? I haven't really had my finger on the board's pulse this year.Pallbearer, maybe? Also Royal Thunder, as someone else said. Plus, I'll bet Yellow & Green ends up getting more love than many of us would have expected, considering what a divisive record it turned out to be. There were many who didn't care for it, but those who did will probably rank it fairly high, and there's a fair number of us around these parts... :allan:

jhdeity
11-20-2012, 02:46 AM
The fact that it bugs you this much two years on is hilarious.

Just stating facts. Doesn't bug me but that cd is the true definition of mediocre. I'm sure you think Carrie Underwood is better than Resolution so not like I'm trying to influence anyone. Those songs live slayed! To me that's the true test of great music. Which reminds me. I remember seeing video of your girl butchering one of her songs live on some award show recently... Just sayin'

DethMaiden
11-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Pallbearer, maybe? Also Royal Thunder, as someone else said. Plus, I'll bet Yellow & Green ends up getting more love than many of us would have expected, considering what a divisive record it turned out to be. There were many who didn't care for it, but those who did will probably rank it fairly high, and there's a fair number of us around these parts... :allan:

Cool. I'll be throwing votes at two of those three. :cool:

IrritatedTrout
11-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Just stating facts. Doesn't bug me but that cd is the true definition of mediocre. I'm sure you think Carrie Underwood is better than Resolution so not like I'm trying to influence anyone. Those songs live slayed! To me that's the true test of great music. Which reminds me. I remember seeing video of your girl butchering one of her songs live on some award show recently... Just sayin'

I do not care. At all.:lol:

I've seen them live. They're good, LOGs cool for what they are.

The attempted trolling under a nonchalant facade is entertaining. You can't hide the butthurt.

Natrlhi
11-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Cool. I'll be throwing votes at two of those three. :cool:The one you won't be voting for is going to be in my top ten for sure.

I literally cannot stop playing it, at least every now and then. It's SO fucking good. :drool: :lovedup:

jhdeity
11-20-2012, 03:32 PM
I do not care. At all.:lol:

I've seen them live. They're good, LOGs cool for what they are.

The attempted trolling under a nonchalant facade is entertaining. You can't hide the butthurt.

Whatever you say Man. Just stating facts.. otherwise known as my opinion in this case. hahaha I've been a Rush fan since I saw them open for Kiss but to say that cd is the best cd of 2012 is right along the lines of voting a mediocre Maiden album #1. While new Rush smokes the last Maiden cd, it's gaining Hipster status when people like you try to claim how incredible it is.

To each his own... should be an intersting list this year. If you had told me Meshuggah and Gojira would release new cd's and neither would be in my Top 5 I wouldn't have believed it. Time to give both a few more spins...

IrritatedTrout
11-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Shame on me for giving the new Rush album "hipster status". :tp: What the fuck does that even mean?

XDoomsayerX
11-20-2012, 07:26 PM
New deftones really amazing?

BloodoftheKings
11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
it's gaining Hipster status when people like you try to claim how incredible it is.

Huh? What does hipster even mean anymore?

ShatteredFlame
11-20-2012, 09:52 PM
So has the new Rihanna album released 2 days achieved "hipster status" yet? I'm pretty sure you can find hundreds that claim it is incredible.

BloodoftheKings
11-20-2012, 10:04 PM
So has the new Rihanna album released 2 days achieved "hipster status" yet? I'm pretty sure you can find hundreds that claim it is incredible.

That shit is almost as hipster as the new One Direction album.

Natrlhi
11-21-2012, 07:12 AM
If you had told me Meshuggah and Gojira would release new cd's and neither would be in my Top 5 I wouldn't have believed it. Time to give both a few more spins...They were / are both pretty damn good, but I don't know about top five either. Top ten or twenty, though, for sure - at least for me.

EDIT: Those two bands need to tour together, by the way. I have no idea why somebody hasn't figured out how awesome that would be by now.

mastodon421
11-21-2012, 08:14 AM
New deftones really amazing?

Depends on what side of Deftones you like. It's really mellow for the most part and Chino really lets his indie/dream pop influences run wild on this record so don't expect another Diamond Eyes. For me at it's least, It's a grower and I'm just now starting to really enjoy it (One of the few records this year that I've actually enjoyed a lot more upon further listens). Definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of theirs.

jhdeity
11-21-2012, 09:28 AM
They were / are both pretty damn good, but I don't know about top five either. Top ten or twenty, though, for sure - at least for me.

EDIT: Those two bands need to tour together, by the way. I have no idea why somebody hasn't figured out how awesome that would be by now.

Totally agree. I think I just might need to listen to both a few more times. My brain can't comprehend new Meshuggah at times. Actually seeing some of those songs live would probably help them click with me like what happened with Pravus and Lethargica last time. Now 2 of my favorite Meshuggah songs...

hellawaits77ny
11-22-2012, 05:45 AM
I've never been a Rush fan, but from reading the reviews here, I've given it a listen. Not bad at all!!!

jhdeity
11-22-2012, 01:05 PM
I've never been a Rush fan, but from reading the reviews here, I've given it a listen. Not bad at all!!!

Totally agree. The best Rush album in over a decade. Best cd of 2012? Wouldn't crack my Top 30 but Maiden didn't crack my top 50 2 years ago and people voted it #1. Hence my initial comparison...

New Deftones is truly a grower. Definitely more mellow but damn I'm hooked. Lock for my Top 3...

Spiner202
11-22-2012, 01:12 PM
The new Gamma Ray live CD was a major disappointment. The performance was good, but the song selection was awful and they changed some of the songs for the worse. At least Kai is back to focusing on Gamma Ray for 2013.

hellawaits77ny
11-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Totally agree. The best Rush album in over a decade. Best cd of 2012? Wouldn't crack my Top 30 but Maiden didn't crack my top 50 2 years ago and people voted it #1. Hence my initial comparison...

If the 2nd half of the album was as good as the first, it might be able to crack my top 10. Albeit I haven't even listened to 30 albums this year. I'll spin it a few more times and we'll see.

hellawaits77ny
11-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Got through the new Soundgarden a few times now. Very meh. First 2 songs are good, #6 is great, and oher than that, very very average. Where did the bit of metal they used to have go?

IrritatedTrout
11-24-2012, 08:47 AM
I like the new Soundgarden but it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping. I would have liked more songs in the vein of the Live To Rise single which I thought was awesome.

John The Drummer
11-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Got the new Cryptopsy.
Overall: Sucked

Last three songs are pretty good tho.

Nater
11-24-2012, 08:14 PM
I get a lot of the free comps that companies put out to promote bands and heard one called 7 Horns 7 Eyes so I checked the album out. Pretty good stuff. It's got an Insomnium Melodic Death Metal sound with some more midpaced Metalcore going on almost early ATR sounding at times.

XDoomsayerX
11-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Heard new Chariot and AILD, more of the same from both. So just solid overall.

John The Drummer
11-25-2012, 08:45 AM
I get a lot of the free comps that companies put out to promote bands and heard one called 7 Horns 7 Eyes so I checked the album out. Pretty good stuff. It's got an Insomnium Melodic Death Metal sound with some more midpaced Metalcore going on almost early ATR sounding at times.

7H7E is from here. They got signed to Century Media two or three years ago but have yet to break out. I'm not a fan of of them, but its kinda lame that the label has done practically nothing to promote them.

Nater
11-25-2012, 01:47 PM
7H7E is from here. They got signed to Century Media two or three years ago but have yet to break out. I'm not a fan of of them, but its kinda lame that the label has done practically nothing to promote them.

That is lame. I never understood why labels sign bands if they arn't even gonna promote them let alone be interested in them. I feel like Victory did this with Jungle Rot. Atleast it helps get their album out.

brutal_descent
11-25-2012, 01:59 PM
I feel like Victory did this with Jungle Rot.

>Victory Records
>Jungle fuckin' Rot

wat

BloodoftheKings
11-25-2012, 02:00 PM
That is lame. I never understood why labels sign bands if they arn't even gonna promote them let alone be interested in them. I feel like Victory did this with Jungle Rot. Atleast it helps get their album out.

Jungle Rot is on Victory records? I thought that label was just for bad pop punk and srscore bands.

Nater
11-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Jungle Rot is on Victory records? I thought that label was just for bad pop punk and srscore bands.

Yep they signed them early last year and released Kill on Command. I thought they were all about the core bands then they signed these guys. I'm pretty sure they still get themselves on tour too because they have yet to be put on any Victory Record band tour. Not even with Emmure or Blackguard. >_>

jd091
11-25-2012, 02:40 PM

the lead vocalist for 7H7E is one of the top posters on STUFFYOUWILLHATE.com he is so fucking funny

Nater
11-25-2012, 02:43 PM
1. Troglodyte - Don't Go In The Woods
2. Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth
3. Overkill - The Electric Age
4. Abominable Putridity - The Anomalies of Artificial Origin
5. Vaderbomb - DDPEP
6. Nile - At The Gates of Sethu
7. Fear Factory - The Industrialist
8. Aborted - Global Flatline
9. Lich King -Born of the Bomb
10. Pathology - The Time of Great Purification

hellawaits77ny
12-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Pleasently suprosed by the new Cryptopsy. Have listened to first few songs, and they're all at least decent.

HandOfDoom
12-02-2012, 02:38 PM
List has changed alot again;

1. Overkill - The Electric Age
2. Ufomammut - ORO: OPus Alter
3. Corrosion Of Conformity - Self Titled
4. Candlemass - Psalms For The Dead
5. Orange Goblin - A Eulogy For The Damned
6. Baroness - Yellow & Green
7 Wo Fat - The Black Code
8. Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65
9. Pallbearer- Sorrow And Extinction
10. Witch Mountain - Cauldron Of The Wild

Indestructible
12-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Apocryphon by The Sword is really good.:horns:

Natrlhi
12-03-2012, 09:56 AM
List has changed alot again;

1. Overkill - The Electric Age
2. Ufomammut - ORO: OPus Alter
3. Corrosion Of Conformity - Self Titled
4. Candlemass - Psalms For The Dead
5. Orange Goblin - A Eulogy For The Damned
6. Baroness - Yellow & Green
7 Wo Fat - The Black Code
8. Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65
9. Pallbearer- Sorrow And Extinction
10. Witch Mountain - Cauldron Of The WildI am all over 40% of the albums on this list. :D

HandOfDoom
12-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Really want to get Royal Thunder and HoF in there as well, gona be tough! Still have to give Apocryphon a proper run through.

Natrlhi
12-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Really want to get Royal Thunder and HoF in there as well, gona be tough! Still have to give Apocryphon a proper run through.RT is top ten for sure for me, HoF will be close, and Acopryphon is damn decent, but I don't see it making the cut. Top ten is saying quite a bit in a year such as 2012 has been.

All hail the year of DDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :bowdown:

HandOfDoom
12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
RT is top ten for sure for me, HoF will be close, and Acopryphon is damn decent, but I don't see it making the cut. Top ten is saying quite a bit in a year such as 2012 has been.

All hail the year of DDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :bowdown:

Yea it really has been a fantastic year, going to be a tough call :bouville:

christopher
12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
The new POOR album might be AOTY for me. Fucking amazing grind. Its streaming on fb here. (http://www.facebook.com/POORGRIND/app_204974879526524) All you Nasum worshipers will love this.

christopher
12-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm checking out the new Destroyed in Seconds album Becoming Wrath and its really good. Definitely top 10 material for me! Their new singer really brings it.

christopher
12-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't feel like writing up a review, so here's my top ten in no particular order:

Terrorizer - Hordes of Zombies
Black Breath - Sentenced to Death
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Murder Construct - Results
General Surgery - Like an Ever Flying Limb
POOR - Extinction of Trust
Highlonesome - The Gospel According to..
Saint Vitus - Lillie F-65
OFF! - OFF!
Viva le Vox - Dirt for Sale

zgodt
12-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Got through the new Soundgarden a few times now. Very meh. First 2 songs are good, #6 is great, and oher than that, very very average. Where did the bit of metal they used to have go?

I agree completely. Those three songs are about it. Chris Cornell sings in the first song that he's been away for too long, and is now "just filling in the holes from the lines to the cracks." Pretty good review of the album right there. Soundgarden by numbers.

kalfitegrdan
12-10-2012, 06:33 AM
I don't feel like writing up a review, so here's my top ten in no particular order:

Terrorizer - Hordes of Zombies
Black Breath - Sentenced to Death
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Murder Construct - Results
General Surgery - Like an Ever Flying Limb
POOR - Extinction of Trust
Highlonesome - The Gospel According to..
Saint Vitus - Lillie F-65
OFF! - OFF!
Viva le Vox - Dirt for Sale

Whoa! Didn't know General Surgery came out with a new one.

street_burial
12-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I've still got some albums to go through but my top 10 at the moment:

1. Converge- All We Love We Leave Behind
2. Suntorn- The Will To Power
3. From Atlantis- Pedestals
4. Kraanium- Post Mortal Coital Fixation
5. The Ghost Inside- Get What You Give
6. Dying Fetus- Reign Supreme
7. Death Grips- The Money Store
8. Secrets- The Ascent
9. Pig Destroyer- Book Burner
10. Odd Future- OF Tape Vol. 2

w00tasaurus
12-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Has there been any discussion of the new arsis EP here yet? I may have missed it. What do you guys think of it?

Nater
12-11-2012, 06:18 AM
I have it but I havn't jammed it yet. I prolly will tonight or later today.

GarageMetal468
12-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Whoa! Didn't know General Surgery came out with a new one.

It's an EP, but still awesome.

DethMaiden
12-11-2012, 06:50 AM
So when are we voting, ya dinguses?

mastodon421
12-11-2012, 07:25 AM
So when are we voting, ya dinguses?

Last year it started on New Year's Day, Which I hope is this case again this year because there are still quite a few records I still need to hear before my list is final.

SomewhereInTime72
12-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Last year it started on New Year's Day, Which I hope is this case again this year because there are still quite a few records I still need to hear before my list is final.

This.

well no i've only got two more to hear and then fix my ordering to make sure it's all cool by me, but yeah new years is safe and besides 2012 aint over til then

christopher
12-17-2012, 02:49 AM
New Exumer is pretty cool.

christopher
12-22-2012, 07:22 PM
I just found out ELO rerecorded a bunch of songs into a compilation called Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra. This might very well be the aoty for me! I'm loving the updated versions of these songs!

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2012, 04:17 AM
I just found out ELO rerecorded a bunch of songs into a compilation called Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra. This might very well be the aoty for me! I'm loving the updated versions of these songs!

I'll have to check that out.

Anyone check our Infant Annihilator? 2 kids from the UK, playing some solid deathcore. Probably the best deathcore album from 2012 I've listened to.

W0unds
12-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Anyone check our Infant Annihilator? 2 kids from the UK, playing some solid deathcore. Probably the best deathcore album from 2012 I've listened to.

The track or two I have heard were very solid. I think it is the guitarist + drummer from the UK, the singer is from the US.

Nater
12-23-2012, 08:06 AM

I was actually listening to it last night. From what I heard it's really bitchin stuff.

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2012, 08:36 AM
The track or two I have heard were very solid. I think it is the guitarist + drummer from the UK, the singer is from the US.

Oh, ok. Yeah I couldn't really find a lot of info on the band. The stupid (EDIT: really stupid) video they put out only features 2 guys, but yes, some people say there are 3. And there seems to be some disagreement on whether or not they feature an actual drummer, or instead a machine. I think the drums sound "machine-like" in parts, so I wouldn't be suprised.

I was actually listening to it last night. From what I heard it's really bitchin stuff.

Yep, suprised the shite outta me. Not a huge deathcore fan, but this is solid.

mastodon421
12-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I've only heard the single from Infant Annihilator, but it was pretty damn good actually.

BloodoftheKings
12-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Oh, ok. Yeah I couldn't really find a lot of info on the band. The stupid (EDIT: really stupid) video they put out only features 2 guys, but yes, some people say there are 3. And there seems to be some disagreement on whether or not they feature an actual drummer, or instead a machine. I think the drums sound "machine-like" in parts, so I wouldn't be suprised.

I think the drums were recorded with an electronic kit and sped up.

W0unds
12-23-2012, 10:29 AM
I think the drums were recorded with an electronic kit and sped up.

I'm not sure if they are machine or not as they have posted some play through videos, such as this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SImHi16cwqc).
I am not a drummer but this does sound crazy fast, would not be surprised if its sped up.

Regardless its refreshing to hear some good new music out of a very stagnant sub genre.

hellawaits77ny
12-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure if they are machine or not as they have posted some play through videos, such as its refreshing to hear some good new music out of a very stagnant sub genre.

Yes!!!

Nater
12-23-2012, 01:07 PM

Yep, suprised the shite outta me. Not a huge deathcore fan, but this is solid.

That's what I said. Deathcore has always been hard for me to get into but this was something that caught me off guard.

Also anyone here check out the Forceps EP? Jesus is that good shit.

christopher
12-28-2012, 01:22 AM
I feel like an idiot. I just remembered The New Elite by Master came out this year and not in 2011. That is definitely my album of the year! Such good riffs.

adamclark52
12-28-2012, 07:31 AM
I know a lot here don't like them, but new Cradle of Filth isn't very good. It's very bare-bones and straight up. Not even gothic, mostly thrash. I do like that they're making their songs and albums shorter (70 minutes is too much), and the last song has some neat guitar work. But it's pretty boring.

adamclark52
12-28-2012, 07:35 AM
New Anaal Nathkarh (I can never spell their name) is pretty good. Definitely better than 'Passion'.

The new My Dying Bride is just more of the same.

The new CoF is growing a bit more on me.

But none of them are AotY candidates.

electrocute1031
12-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Finally caught up on some of the albums I missed earlier in the year. Here is my top 30 list (in no particular order).
1. Dark Forest - Land of the Evening Star
2. Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
3. Woods of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light
4. Enslaved - RIITIIR
5. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill
6. Rush - Clockwork Angels
7. Gaza - No Absolutes in Human Suffering
8. Spawn of Possession - Incurso
9. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
10. Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay
11. Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
12. Swans - The Seer
13. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
14. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
15. Deftones - Koi No Yokan
16. Shining - Redefining Darkness
17. Killing Joke - MMXII
18. Overkill - The Electric Age
19. Sylosis - Monolith
20. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
21. Big Big Train - English Electric (Part 1)
22. Sigh – In Somniphobia
23. Asphyx - Deathhammer
24. Shadow Circus - On A Dark And Stormy Night
25. De Lirium's Order - Veniversum
26. Pyramid Theorem - S/T
27. Tame Impala - Lonerism
28. Off! - S/T
29. Bob Dylan - Tempest
30. High on Fire -De Vermis Mysteriis