PDA

View Full Version : 2012.....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Natrlhi
09-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Pshhh. This is the best action this thread has seen since, ever.

I think we need to hear more about Muse. I'm still not getting a strong sense of how anyone feels about it.STIR DAT POT MUTHAFUCKA

:lol: but srsly...check my post above about Caspian.

illuminatus917
09-26-2012, 06:27 PM
STIR DAT POT MUTHAFUCKA

:lol: but srsly...check my post above about Caspian.

Finally got Spin to work for me.

I'm still on the first track, which I've already heard, but... whoah. I was expecting it to lead into the next one. Porcellous kind of did away with that build up...

Time to devote my being to this album, better retire for the night.

NecroRob
09-26-2012, 06:36 PM
You really think I don't know how to spell "minutes"? Really? Do you think anybody here is buying that shit?

Your misuse of the word "then", however, is well-documented. You do it all the time, so clearly it's not a typo. Mine was. Obviously.

I fucking hate when people pull that shit There's a significant difference between a typo (which everyone makes from time to time) and not understanding proper grammar.

MPF
09-26-2012, 08:18 PM
You really think I don't know how to spell "minutes"? Really? Do you think anybody here is buying that shit?

Your misuse of the word "then", however, is well-documented. You do it all the time, so clearly it's not a typo. Mine was. Obviously.

..and as far as the ongoing argument about the music (which is about to stop now), the fact of the matter is that you bailed on the album and the band after giving them twenty lousy minutes. That's lame. End of story. I nearly hated Yellow & Green on first listen, but now it's one of my favorite releases of 2012. That happened because I took a patient approach with the music - fact. ...and as far as your pitiful excuse about having too many albums and too little time (you big bad media mogul, you :rolleyes:)...trust me, if there's a motherfucker on this forum who's busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger, then it's me way the fuck more than it is you.

...but I still find time to be objective. Either that, or I just keep my trap shut and let the people who have actually listened to the album give their (hopefully informed) opinions on it.

tl;dr: you ripped the fuck out of an album based on listening to half of it and that makes you lame

No need to post the tl;dr bullshit. If someone is posting shit about me, I read the whole thing.

Do you want me to check out the other half just to say that I'm not going to like it? I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong.

And more importantly, why does it matter to you what I do? You liked it, fine. Muse is a talented band. I didn't like the last 3 Muse albums because its in a style I don't like. I gave it a shot for half an album's worth, it didn't catch on with me. Why does that make me lame to not continue to listen to an album I didn't enjoy. I have no reason to do that to anyone who doesn't like an album I enjoy, that's just stupid. If you don't like a movie or a tv show and you stop watching it because it wasn't interesting to you, does that make you stupid. If you buy a video game, and you don't enjoy it so you stop playing it, does that make you lame too?

And now you're knocking what I do for a profession now. Jesus, seriously? I'm not sure what you do for a living, but you must be doing it right to remain as busy as you do and still find time to enjoy music. I don't. So why the fuck knock me for not taking the time to finish an album I didn't enjoy?

I know it's a hard concept to understand, but if someone doesn't enjoy something, unless they are subjected to it or have to do it for a living or a reason that is against their will, people choose not to partake in said thing anymore.

tl;dr I didn't enjoy it, get over it

Indestructible
09-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Do both of you realize that you are fighting because one of you did not give the new Muse album a fair chance? Do both of you realize that you are suppose to be adults?:rolleyes: I can't believe what you did MPF, YOU ARE CAUSING THE DOWN FALL OF THE ENTIRE PLANET EARTH!:D

MPF
09-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Do both of you realize that you are fighting because one of you did not give the new Muse album a fair chance? Do both of you realize that you are suppose to be adults?:rolleyes: I can't believe what you did MPF, YOU ARE CAUSING THE DOWN FALL OF THE ENTIRE PLANET EARTH!:D

I just think its funny that it actually matters. :lol:

Indestructible
09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
I just think its funny that it actually matters. :lol:
It doesn't matter.

I'm going to checkout the new Muse album. I liked some of the songs I have heard from The Resistance and Black Holes and Revelations. Music like that usualy isn't what I listen too but I agree with the bands views on the world and their lyrics, that's what drew me to them a few years ago.

brutal_descent
09-27-2012, 01:02 AM
hahaha my friend made that up. I just found it too funny not to post.

nice save

dcmetal108
09-27-2012, 05:23 AM
nice save

It wasn't a save or are you trying to say I don't have friends? ;)

IrritatedTrout
09-27-2012, 05:51 AM
I fucking hate when people pull that shit There's a significant difference between a typo (which everyone makes from time to time) and not understanding proper grammar.

Learn to use periods.:hmm:

:D

dcmetal108
09-27-2012, 06:07 AM
2012 thread has turned into grammar Nazi's and people criticizing others habits on listening to music.

Let's get back on topic people.

Apparently Three Day's Grace had a new album and it leaked, the site I saw it on has it listed as Alt. Rock. Weren't those guys considered hard rock at one point?

DethMaiden
09-27-2012, 06:39 AM
New Indesinence is tremendous. UK death/doom as it's meant to be.

dcmetal108
09-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Car Bombs new album is so fucking good.

slapguitarer
09-27-2012, 08:20 AM
I think The Seer changed my life. It was like being in solitary confinement.

Natrlhi
09-27-2012, 09:39 AM
[lengthy diatribe filled with butthurt, misdirection and sarcasm]

I just think its funny that it actually matters. :lol:It's not about Muse. It's not about you not liking something that I like, or vice versa. It's certainly not about your fucking job (the statement I made was merely a response to your lame excuse of being too busy to have listened to the whole album).

This whole shitstorm is about one thing, and one thing only - you railed on an album, and then on the band who made the album, based on listening to a fraction of the album's content. That is lame. You should have just kept your thoughts to yourself if you didn't have all the information. That's what intelligent / mature people do.

Furthermore, it's fairly easy to tell why you gave up on this album so quickly...and that's the preconceived bias you have towards dubstep (or whatever you choose to label with that term, which clearly extends beyond what dubstep actually is). The proof of this is that you claimed that the album was filled with dubstep, when in fact it is only present to a significant degree in one song.

So like I said, you slammed something without having all the info. That's lame. If you're gonna criticize something - no matter what it is - I suggest you have some facts to back that shit up or else you're just gonna keep having limited credibility and getting flamed by people who can see through your bullshit.

Do both of you realize that you are fighting because one of you did not give the new Muse album a fair chance?As explained above, this is not about Muse - or even musical taste in general. It's about MPF talking shit about something without having all the facts and while having a clear bias against it to begin with, so instead he should have just helped himself to a nice hot cup of shut the fuck up and went about his business. You might want to take some notes.

street_burial
09-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Muse sucks

/discussion

christopher
09-27-2012, 10:12 AM
I didn't think my post about Muse would lead to a huge fight like this. :lol: Carry on.

w00tasaurus
09-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Enslaved is great as expected. I'm almost running out of stuff to look forward to this year!

MPF
09-27-2012, 12:32 PM
It's not about Muse. It's not about you not liking something that I like, or vice versa. It's certainly not about your fucking job (the statement I made was merely a response to your lame excuse of being too busy to have listened to the whole album).

This whole shitstorm is about one thing, and one thing only - you railed on an album, and then on the band who made the album, based on listening to a fraction of the album's content. That is lame. You should have just kept your thoughts to yourself if you didn't have all the information. That's what intelligent / mature people do.

Furthermore, it's fairly easy to tell why you gave up on this album so quickly...and that's the preconceived bias you have towards dubstep (or whatever you choose to label with that term, which clearly extends beyond what dubstep actually is). The proof of this is that you claimed that the album was filled with dubstep, when in fact it is only present to a significant degree in one song.

So like I said, you slammed something without having all the info. That's lame. If you're gonna criticize something - no matter what it is - I suggest you have some facts to back that shit up or else you're just gonna keep having limited credibility and getting flamed by people who can see through your bullshit.

As explained above, this is not about Muse - or even musical taste in general. It's about MPF talking shit about something without having all the facts and while having a clear bias against it to begin with, so instead he should have just helped himself to a nice hot cup of shut the fuck up and went about his business. You might want to take some notes.

I know its peril at this point but I checked out the second half of The 2nd Law, if nothing else just to shut you up already. Save Me is the closest thing to a good song on the album. I think a lot of that had to do with Bellamy not writing and singing on the song. Other then that. I was right in face the 2 song suite at the end was even more unbearable then what I've heard other reviews say. To my ears, its bad. If they kept up the style of Save Me, I'd say it's closer to progress in the right direction, but its still not very good to me.

There, can you be done bitching now, or are you just going to bitch about how I should have done this in the first place?

Natrlhi
09-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Like I've said repeatedly, it was never about Muse.

I'll be done calling you out for talking shit whenever you decide to stop doing it.

mastodon421
09-27-2012, 02:11 PM
HEADBANG MOTHERFUCKER

dcmetal108
09-27-2012, 02:18 PM
August Burns Red Christmas Album leaked! Let the holidays begin mofos!

daimonos
09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
LP's/EP's
1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
2. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
3. Devin Townsend Project
4. Down IV Part I: The Purple EP
5. Ahab - The Giant
6. Deathspell Omega - Drought
7. Napalm Death - Utilitarian
8. Om - Advaitic Songs
9. Horseback - Half Blood
10. Mutilation Rites - Empyrean
11. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life
12. Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65
13. Ihsahn - Eremita
14. Vulture - Oblivious to Ruin
15. Unsane - Wreck
16. Mgla - With Hearts Towards None
17. Corrosion of Conformity - Corrosion of Conformity
18. Serpentine Path - Serpentine Path
19. Marduk - Serpent Sermon
20. Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
21. Dopethrone - III
22. Naam - The Ballad of the Starchild
23. Derketa - In Death We Meet
24. Goatwhore - Blood for the Master
25. Burzum - Umskiptar

Singles:
1. Eyehategod - New Orleans is the New Vietnam
2. Clutch - Pigtown Blues/Motherless Child (Acoustic)
3. Electric Wizard - Legalise Drugs and Murder/Murder and Madness

Need to listen to:
Swallow the Sun
Eagle Twin
Mongrel's Cross
Satanic Bloodspraying
Strong Intention
Black Pyramid

Awaiting the release of:
Enslaved
Yakuza
Weapon
The Sword
Early Graves
Dragged into Sunlight

ShatteredFlame
09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Enslaved leaked today dude!

daimonos
09-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Enslaved leaked today dude!

I preordered the Deluxe CD and LP, so I'm just going to wait til it gets here. It should only be a few more days ;)

Nater
09-27-2012, 05:14 PM
LP's/EP's
1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
2. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
3. Devin Townsend Project
4. Down IV Part I: The Purple EP
5. Ahab - The Giant
6. Deathspell Omega - Drought
7. Napalm Death - Utilitarian
8. Om - Advaitic Songs
9. Horseback - Half Blood
10. Mutilation Rites - Empyrean
11. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life
12. Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65
13. Ihsahn - Eremita
14. Vulture - Oblivious to Ruin
15. Unsane - Wreck
16. Mgla - With Hearts Towards None
17. Corrosion of Conformity - Corrosion of Conformity
18. Serpentine Path - Serpentine Path
19. Marduk - Serpent Sermon
20. Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
21. Dopethrone - III
22. Naam - The Ballad of the Starchild
23. Derketa - In Death We Meet
24. Goatwhore - Blood for the Master
25. Burzum - Umskiptar

Singles:
1. Eyehategod - New Orleans is the New Vietnam
2. Clutch - Pigtown Blues/Motherless Child (Acoustic)
3. Electric Wizard - Legalise Drugs and Murder/Murder and Madness

Need to listen to:
Swallow the Sun
Eagle Twin
Mongrel's Cross
Satanic Bloodspraying
Strong Intention
Black Pyramid

Awaiting the release of:
Enslaved
Yakuza
Weapon
The Sword
Early Graves
Dragged into Sunlight

Is the new Mutilation Rites good? I always look at it at the store and am tempted to get it I just havn't heard anything about it.

daimonos
09-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Is the new Mutilation Rites good? I always look at it at the store and am tempted to get it I just havn't heard anything about it.

I like it. It's some quality black metal, a nice blend of styles. Melodic where needed yet harsh and atmospherical at the same time.

BloodoftheKings
09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
The new Pig Destroyer should be leaking pretty soon. Metal Sucks just came out with their review and gave it a perfect score. God damn.

powerslave_85
09-27-2012, 06:21 PM
GAHHHH I WANT IT NOW

Nater
09-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I like it. It's some quality black metal, a nice blend of styles. Melodic where needed yet harsh and atmospherical at the same time.

Sounds good enough to me. I will pick it up this weekend. I wanna grab the new Hooded Menace as well

masterguy49
09-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I wonder if people who hate on Dubstep have ever listened to Burial....

Edit: Or Aphex Twin

BloodoftheKings
09-27-2012, 07:01 PM
I wonder if people who hate on Dubstep have ever listened to Burial....

Edit: Or Aphex Twin

Aphex Twin is IDM dude. I know of Burial and heard a couple of his songs but never gave him a serious listen. I have nothing against regular dubstep, brostep is fucking garbage though.

SomewhereInTime72
09-27-2012, 09:40 PM
http://www.lememe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/dear-aphex-twin-wherses-the-drop.jpg

BloodoftheKings
09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I've seen that picture 100 times but it still gets me mad every time.

electrocute1031
09-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Listening to Pneuma by Hail Spirit Noir right now. It's pretty awesome, psychedelic black metal I guess would be the best way to describe it. Has a lot of 60's, 70's prog thrown into the mix as well.

Nater
09-28-2012, 04:05 AM
Heard the new Three Days Grace single and they keep getting worse

illuminatus917
09-28-2012, 07:41 AM
That is disgusting.

Indestructible
09-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Heard the new Three Days Grace single and they keep getting worse

I'm listening to the new album now. It's alright. It will probably have to grow on me. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/26/three-days-grace-premieres-transit-of-venus

Natrlhi
09-28-2012, 07:59 PM
That is disgusting.Are you talking about the Skrillex / Aphex Twin thing? Are you also a fan of the many faces of Mr. Richard D. James?

illuminatus917
09-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Are you talking about the Skrillex / Aphex Twin thing? Are you also a fan of the many faces of Mr. Richard D. James?

Yes. I admire what he does, but I can't say I listen to Aphex Twin a whole lot.

On a somewhat related note, Crystal Castles is releasing a new album in November.

MPF
09-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Listening to the new Enslaved album and it is fantastic.

*Note, that I'm only 3/4ths of the way though, so I really shouldn't give my full opinion on the album until I hear the whole thing, so really I shouldn't have even made this post without hearing the whole thing.*

daimonos
09-28-2012, 08:50 PM

*Note, that I'm only 3/4ths of the way though, so I really shouldn't give my full opinion on the album until I hear the whole thing, so really I shouldn't have even made this post without hearing the whole thing.*

you mad?

MPF
09-28-2012, 08:57 PM
you mad?

Nope. If I added an emoticon, the irony would have been lost.

treghet
09-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Nope. If I added an emoticon, the irony would have been lost.

You try to stir the pot after every little argument you have on here. Quit acting like a child and put it to rest.

MPF
09-28-2012, 09:15 PM
You try to stir the pot after every little argument you have on here. Quit acting like a child and put it to rest.

It was a joke. Maybe I'm the only one who found it funny, but it was just a joke.

Natrlhi
09-29-2012, 10:00 AM
It was a joke. Maybe I'm the only one who found it funny, but it was just a joke.You would be the worst psychology student EVER, because your denial knows no bounds. Clearly it was sarcasm / passive aggression / butthurt, call it what you will. Grow up.

jd091
09-29-2012, 02:12 PM

Ah, I totally forgot they were making a new album. Checking this out today.

DethMaiden
09-29-2012, 03:23 PM

remember when we saw enslaved in chicago with sam <3

daimonos
09-29-2012, 04:33 PM

How the fuck do you forget something as important as that?

:lol:

remember when we saw enslaved in chicago with sam <3

Good times, good times.

MPF
09-29-2012, 05:37 PM
You would be the worst psychology student EVER, because your denial knows no bounds. Clearly it was sarcasm / passive aggression / butthurt, call it what you will. Grow up.

Not really faking anything. An emoticon with what I said would have ruined the joke, and it seems like no one got it anyways, so it was all in vain. Take it as you want. If you wanna look at me posting as Sarcastic, denial ridden, butthurt comebacks, feel free. To me it was topical dry humor.

But anyways in actual important stuff....

I think RIITIIR Top 20 Material. Roots Of The Mountain may be one of the greatest songs Enslaved has ever written. When Enslaved comes back to the states (I would hope sometime next year) this will go over very well live.

Dextrimental
10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
New As I Lay Dying isn't great in my opinion, probably will make my top 25 by a hair though. Glen Hansard's solo effort however is awesome, I recommend it to anyone who digs soft jams and well written songs. Lindsey Stirling's debut album will be getting a review at some point over the week when I can afford to buy it.

hb420
10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Pig Destroyer IS the best grind album to come out in a loooong time. The ferocity of Prowler and Terrifyer with the more mature and catchy song writing of Phantom. Goddamn...... :bowdown:

Indestructible
10-01-2012, 10:31 PM
New Stone Sour album House Of Gold & Bones - Part 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Gold_%26_Bones_-_Part_1) comes out this month. Part 2 will be released in 2013. Judging by Gone Sovereign and Absolute Zero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfrMNqxBPcU) it sounds like it is going to be better than Audio Secrecy.

ShatteredFlame
10-02-2012, 07:32 AM
CONVERGE LEAKED! :drool::party:

BloodoftheKings
10-02-2012, 07:34 AM
CONVERGE LEAKED! :drool::party:

I heard about that yesterday but no body posted links.

Does anyone know if Book Burner leaked yet? It should be out pretty soon cause I know the promo copies are out.

hb420
10-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I heard about that yesterday but no body posted links.

Does anyone know if Book Burner leaked yet? It should be out pretty soon cause I know the promo copies are out.

It hasn't leaked yet, Relapse just sent out the promos Friday but they I have that shit on lock down now because people in their promo circle leaked Hooded Menace and Serpentine Path a while back. Relapse stuff used to leak two weeks or a little less before release date but now i think that's going to change with the tighter security. Look at Weapon its out Oct 9th and has yet to leak.

DethMaiden
10-02-2012, 09:12 AM
I've got a pretty good shakedown of my list in terms of rough tiers at this point:

Tier 1:
Pallbearer
Baroness
The Men

Tier 2:
Jens Lekman
Aesop Rock
Ash Borer
Japandroids

Tier 3:
MONO
Dawnbringer
Nachtmystium
Indesinence
Spiritualized
Frank Ocean
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Yet to hear:
Pig Destroyer
Titus Andronicus
My Dying Bride
Converge
Bison b.c.

BloodoftheKings
10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey Brad, I've never seen you comment on anything Death Grips has put out since Exmilitary. Were you disappointed by The Money Store?

DethMaiden
10-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah, they kinda stopped being over-the-top insane hip hop and became some variant on digital hardcore/extreme electronica that I just don't dig as much. A lot of that has to do with losing the rights to sample that made Exmilitary so good, but Ride isn't really doing much rapping anymore either. I appreciate the punk aesthetic that they're successfully engineering more than their actual music at this point.

BloodoftheKings
10-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah, they kinda stopped being over-the-top insane hip hop and became some variant on digital hardcore/extreme electronica that I just don't dig as much. A lot of that has to do with losing the rights to sample that made Exmilitary so good, but Ride isn't really doing much rapping anymore either. I appreciate the punk aesthetic that they're successfully engineering more than their actual music at this point.

Fair enough, are you gonna bother checking out NLDW? The sound is kind of in between Exmilitary and TMS but there's still no sampling.

DethMaiden
10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Fair enough, are you gonna bother checking out NLDW? The sound is kind of in between Exmilitary and TMS but there's still no sampling.

Listened to the first two songs and wasn't really inspired to move on.

BloodoftheKings
10-02-2012, 09:46 AM

inb4 Nat.

DethMaiden
10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I made it zero songs into the Muse album and I don't like it.

MPF
10-02-2012, 10:09 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

illuminatus917
10-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I've got a pretty good shakedown of my list in terms of rough tiers at this point:

Tier 1:
Pallbearer
Baroness
The Men

Tier 2:
Jens Lekman
Aesop Rock
Ash Borer
Japandroids

Tier 3:
MONO
Dawnbringer
Nachtmystium
Indesinence
Spiritualized
Frank Ocean
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Yet to hear:
Pig Destroyer
Titus Andronicus
My Dying Bride
Converge
Bison b.c.

Hmm, well three of my top 5 are here. I'm surprised you have no Ahab anywhere. Have you not heard that one?

illuminatus917
10-02-2012, 10:30 AM
inb4 Nat.

Oh shit.

DethMaiden
10-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Hmm, well three of my top 5 are here. I'm surprised you have no Ahab anywhere. Have you not heard that one?

Underwhelmed by the two songs I have heard. I'll get around to hearing it in full by year's end.

Natrlhi
10-02-2012, 10:44 AM

inb4 Nat.Brad said he wasn't inspired to move on. That's totally acceptable and fair, and it's also a whole lot different from saying that the entire album sucks as a whole, and that the band has descended into an irrecoverable death spiral. If you're gonna make statements like that, it'd be nice if you could provide some backup other than "I listened to a few songs and, just as I suspected, this band and album are fucked for life". That kind of shit just rubs me the wrong way. Better to say nothing than to give an ill-informed opinion on something and try to come off as an authority on it when you're not - that's all I'm saying. It's not hard to understand.

I made it zero songs into the Muse album and I don't like it.The man doesn't like Muse. Fair enough. I have no problem with this.

MPF
10-02-2012, 12:02 PM
One of the best discoveries I've made all year. If The Ocean, Alcest and Scale The Summit formed a supergroup, it would be this band, Artic Sleep:

http://arcticsleep.bandcamp.com/album/arbors

dcmetal108
10-02-2012, 12:51 PM

I didn't know there was a new album out. I'll check it out since i enjoyed TMS.

slapguitarer
10-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I didn't know there was a new album out. I'll check it out since i enjoyed TMS.

No offense, but do you live under a rock?

dcmetal108
10-02-2012, 01:21 PM
No offense, but do you live under a rock?

I've been in the process of moving over the last month and currently don't have a room at my house since its under construction. I'm living on a matress in a spare bedroom with no internet/computer.

Quick answer is yes :lol:

slapguitarer
10-02-2012, 01:27 PM
I see.

Well there has been tons of hype about the new Death Grips album. If you frequent any major indie music site i.e. Pitchfork, Sputnik, etc, there's been tons of talk about No Love Deep Web. Also there's all the stuff that's happened on the music board on 4chan regarding the new Death Grips.

BloodoftheKings
10-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I see.

Well there has been tons of hype about the new Death Grips album. If you frequent any major indie music site i.e. Pitchfork, Sputnik, etc, there's been tons of talk about No Love Deep Web. Also there's all the stuff that's happened on the music board on 4chan regarding the new Death Grips.

But no matter how frequently you read those kind of sites you wouldn't have known the new album was coming out so soon. They only gave 5 hours noticed before they dropped it.

slapguitarer
10-02-2012, 01:44 PM
But no matter how frequently you read those kind of sites you wouldn't have known the new album was coming out so soon. They only gave 5 hours noticed before they dropped it.

True. I misinterpreted now knowing new album was out as not knowing new album was coming soon.

Sorry dcmetal. Hope I didn't come across as a dick

hb420
10-02-2012, 03:18 PM
New Converge is fantastic, Vanitas is dull besides the first song.

BloodoftheKings
10-02-2012, 04:41 PM
I just revised my top 10 and it has changed a lot.

1. Death Grips - The Money Store
2. Death Grips - No Love Deep Web
3. BTBAM - The Paralax II: Future Sequence
4. Aesop Rock - Skelethon
5. Woods of Ypres - Woods V: Grey Skies and Electric Light
6. Classics of Love - s/t
7. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
8. Torche - Harmonicraft
9. Baroness - Yellow & Green
10. BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNG2

Looking forward to Pig Destroyer, Wintersun, and a couple other things i'm sure i'm missing.

slapguitarer
10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Fanboi much?;)

BloodoftheKings
10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Fanboi much?;)

NLDW probably wont be #2 once I've fully digested it but i'm sure it will stay in the top 10. It's definitely not as good as The Money Store which I can't see being knocked out of my #1 spot at this point.

illuminatus917
10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Well, 2012 went from being a weak post-rock year to a strong one pretty quick. Between GY!BE and pg.lost, and to a lesser extend Caspian, Mono, If These Trees Could Talk and té, and with Summer Fades Away on the way... :fist:. Solid, to say the least.

DethMaiden
10-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Well, 2012 went from being a weak post-rock year to a strong one pretty quick. Between GY!BE and pg.lost, and to a lesser extend Caspian, Mono, If These Trees Could Talk and té, and with Summer Fades Away on the way... :fist:. Solid, to say the least.

This year came together crazily the past week or so. I had no clue what my top 10 looked like. Now I definitely know what albums, and even have some incredible ones that won't make the list. Embarrassment of riches lately.

HandOfDoom
10-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Just wanted to get this down since its changed so much

1.Overkill- The Electric Age
2.Accept- Stalingrad
3.High On Fire- De Vermis Mysteriis
4.Candlemass- Psalms For The Dead
5.Om- Advaitic Songs
6.Saint Vitus- Lilly F065
7.Wo Fat- The Black Code
8.Gojira- L'Enfant Sauvage
9.Rush- Clock Work Angels
10.Ahab- The Giant

larvtard
10-04-2012, 06:42 AM
All We Love We Leave Behind > Jane Doe

hellawaits77ny
10-04-2012, 06:43 AM
I made it zero songs into the Muse album and I don't like it.

Me too

DethMaiden
10-04-2012, 07:02 AM
All We Love We Leave Behind > Jane Doe

Huge statement but it's definitely top 3 with that and No Heroes. It's fucking great.

slapguitarer
10-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Not really feeling a lot of NLDW honestly. It just feels like a lot of unfinished/rushed ideas.

BloodoftheKings
10-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Not really feeling a lot of NLDW honestly. It just feels like a lot of unfinished/rushed ideas.

Many have said the scaled back sound of the album was intentional and that the beats were supposed to sound more minimal. It's not nearly as good as The Money Store but I still really enjoy the album.

slapguitarer
10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
It's not a bad listen overall but Lock Your Doors - Stockton is kind of a drag, besides Whammy. Whammy is my shit

MPF
10-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Too many good albums to leave my list as a top 20. so I'm bumping it up to the top 25.

Top 25 Albums of 2012, as of 10-4-2012:

1.) Devin Townsend- Epicloud/Ne Obliviscaris- Portal Of I
3.) Alcest- Les Voyages De L'Âme
4.) Woods Of Ypres- Woods V: Grey Skies & Electric Light
5.) Anathema- Weather Systems
6.) Between the Buried and Me- The Parallax II: Future Sequence
7.) Periphery- Periphery II: This Time It's Personal
8.) Ihsahn- Eremita
9.) Torche- Harmonicraft
10.) The Faceless- Autotheism
11.) Baroness- Yellow & Green
12.) Converge- All We Love We Leave Behind
13.) Enslaved- RIITIIR
14.) The Contortionist- Intrinsic
15.) Arctic Sleep- Arbors
16.) Brandon Small- Galaktikon
17.) For the Imperium- For the Imperium
18.) Katatonia- Dead End Kings
19.) Abigail Williams- Becoming
20.) Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth
21.) Pyramid Theorem- Pyramid Theorem
22.) Eluveitie- Helvetios
23.) Paradise Lost- Tragic Idol
24.) The 11th Hour- Lacrima Mortis
25.) Meshuggah- Koloss

mastodon421
10-04-2012, 12:50 PM
It's not a bad listen overall but Lock Your Doors - Stockton is kind of a drag, besides Whammy. Whammy is my shit

I'm not feeling Lock Your Doors or World of Dogs and the songs up until the last three are good, but not great. The first three and the last three songs though are fucking brilliant.

BloodoftheKings
10-04-2012, 01:44 PM

I'm not feeling Lock Your Doors or World of Dogs and the songs up until the last three are good, but not great. The first three and the last three songs though are fucking brilliant.

World of Dogs and Lock Your Doors are 2 of my favorite songs on the album. I think Pop and Hunger Games are the clear choices for weakest songs on the album. I don't know why so many people are talking down about Stockton either, dat hook.

mastodon421
10-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I fucking love Pop. The beat is really different for them and I thought it was a big risk that payed off very nicely.

treghet
10-05-2012, 04:30 AM
The new Okkultokrati album is out! :D For those of you who are not familiar with them, they are a black metal / hardcore punk band... and they rule. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIT1o9_u7Qw

Natrlhi
10-05-2012, 06:46 AM
black metal / hardcore punkThis does not sound like a good idea.

UPDATE: I listened to it, and it's less discordant than I thought it would be. I'll admit, they pull it off fairly well. It still seems like a bit of a force-fit, since the two styles rarely occupy the same space at any given time, but I give them credit for having the balls to do it.

OraclesofAgony
10-05-2012, 10:01 PM
As far as keeping up with new releases this year goes, I have given up. I probably won't even be able to make a best of list. I don't know what it is but I just haven't had the drive to keep up with new releases this year.

SomewhereInTime72
10-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm horribly behind as well, but I'm mostly hoping that I can catch up by the time the year ends, which depending on how the next 2 months go for me might be anywhere from dumb easy to impossible.

powerslave_85
10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
The last two weeks have really thrown a wrench in my possible list. Too much good stuff!

daimonos
10-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Checking out some new stuff tonight:

Cryptopsy
Royal Thunder
Swallow the Sun
haarp
Eagle Twin
High on Fire

christopher
10-09-2012, 01:25 PM
New Trash Talk kicks ass!

w00tasaurus
10-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Daylight Dies sounds very good so far.

daimonos
10-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Checking out some new stuff tonight:

Cryptopsy
Royal Thunder
Swallow the Sun
haarp
Eagle Twin
High on Fire

Pleasantly suprised with Cryptopsy. I'm not huge into death metal nowadays but they've got some quality stuff on that album.

Swallow the Sun, I didn't care for. Couldn't even make it past the third song. I liked New Moon, but this one just doesn't appeal to me at all.

haarp was also a nice surprise. Some heavy shit right there.

Eagle Twin I just picked up today. Listening now. Great so far.

High on Fire was also fantastic. Don't know why I didn't listen to it in April.

DethMaiden
10-10-2012, 12:40 PM
New Trash Talk kicks ass!

A little on the fence about it honestly. The song with Tyler and Hodgy fucking sucks.

mankvill
10-10-2012, 12:46 PM
A little on the fence about it honestly. The song with Tyler and Hodgy fucking sucks.

I like the song they made a video for. Those are the only two songs I've heard from it, though.

BloodoftheKings
10-10-2012, 01:22 PM
The song with Tyler and Hodgy fucking sucks.

:lol: I thought Hodgy doing hardcore vocals was at least a little amusing.

jd091
10-10-2012, 01:44 PM
The Acacia Strain are djent now? Lol wut

slapguitarer
10-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Deathcore/metalcore = djent, don't cha know?

mastodon421
10-10-2012, 01:52 PM

I would hardly say they're djent now Is there sporadic use of skip riffs and a little less intensity in their music overall? Absolutely, but that doesn't even mean they are even close to djent. Their new record was a lot better than I expected imo.

jd091
10-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I would hardly say they're djent now Is there sporadic use of skip riffs and a little less intensity in their music overall? Absolutely, but that doesn't even mean they are even close to djent. Their new record was a lot better than I expected imo.

djent

BloodoftheKings
10-10-2012, 06:49 PM
New Dethklok leaked.

dcmetal108
10-10-2012, 07:20 PM
That Revocation EP is fucking great.

OraclesofAgony
10-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I decided to listen to the new Cryptopsy tonight, I like what I'm hearing so far.

OraclesofAgony
10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Since I'm in the new releases mode I might as well finally listen to the new (well, not anymore) The Faceless.

BloodoftheKings
10-10-2012, 08:54 PM
The new Dethklok is just ok. It has a few standout tracks but most of it is pretty meh.

dcmetal108
10-10-2012, 10:10 PM
If someone can PM me the link for the new Trash Talk I'll love you forever.

kalfitegrdan
10-10-2012, 11:36 PM
The new Dethklok is just ok. It has a few standout tracks but most of it is pretty meh.

:(

christopher
10-10-2012, 11:47 PM
If someone can PM me the link for the new Trash Talk I'll love you forever.

use soulseek :)

dcmetal108
10-11-2012, 05:58 AM
use soulseek :)

No luck.

Spiner202
10-11-2012, 08:47 AM
I have the feeling everyone is going to love the new Incantation. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the style, but it's definitely quite a solid album even for me.

hb420
10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
New Indesinence is now streaming on YouTube, check out the absolute best death/doom you're ears hear this year. I've had it for weeks and it has been in constant rotation of what I hear daily. :drool:

Vessels of Light and Decay Stream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVmsM1iDVRs)

mNDAS
10-14-2012, 09:47 PM
New Wintersun is Killer:eek::rocker:

OraclesofAgony
10-15-2012, 03:23 PM
I have the feeling everyone is going to love the new Incantation. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the style, but it's definitely quite a solid album even for me.

The samples on Amazon sound awesome! :drool:

Nater
10-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I was kinda let down by the new Revocation EP

powerslave_85
10-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Now that it's streaming, I can finally comment on the new Pig Destroyer. And that comment is HOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY FUCKKKKKK.

Rocco44
10-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Ahab - The Giant
Enslaved - RIITIIR
Scott Kelly and The Road Home - The Forgiven Ghost In Me
Wino & Conny Ochs - Heavy Kingdom
Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay
Saint Vitus - Lillie F-65
Minus The Bear - Infinity Overhead
Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
Be'lakor - Of Breath and Bone
Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Cloudkicker - Fade
Agalloch - Faustian Echoes
Wino/Scott Kelly/Von Till - Songs of Townes Van Zandt
Panopticon - Kentucky
If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
Toundra - III
Alcest - Les Voyages
Les Discrets - Ariettes
Mono - For My Parents
Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction

w00tasaurus
10-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Time is good but disappointing I think the more I listen to it. So short, and never as good as the last album.

Alduin
10-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Time is good but disappointing I think the more I listen to it. So short, and never as good as the last album. you must remeber that its Time I, and theres going to be a part 2

IrritatedTrout
10-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Here's my ranking of everything I've heard this year:

1. Rush - Clockwork Angels (definite lock for AOTY)
2. Testament - Dark Roots of Earth
3. Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
4. Kiss - Monster
5. Blaze Bayley - The King of Metal
6. Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
7. Ian Anderson - Thick as A Brick 2
8. Baroness - Yellow & Green
9. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
10. Agalloch - Faustian Echoes
11. Lamb of God - Resolution
12. Metallica - Beyond Magnetic

Still waiting for The Sword - Apochryphon, Black Country Communion - Afterglow, and Soundgarden - King Animal.

mastodon421
10-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Let me just come out and say that Monolith by Sylosis is one of the best fucking records year imo. They really came out of nowhere with this one and it's a lock for my top 10, maybe even top 5.

w00tasaurus
10-16-2012, 12:50 PM
you must remeber that its Time I, and theres going to be a part 2

Yeah but as it's released on it's own I have to count it as its own album. Didn't he say he had 90 minutes of material? I feel like it's pretty much all done.. so why is it split up? Is that just a money grab, to get paid for two albums or what? Does anyone know why Time is split into two parts?

Sorry if I missed it.

BloodoftheKings
10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah but as it's released on it's own I have to count it as its own album. Didn't he say he had 90 minutes of material? I feel like it's pretty much all done.. so why is it split up? Is that just a money grab, to get paid for two albums or what? Does anyone know why Time is split into two parts?

Sorry if I missed it.

Jari said he's splitting up the material into 2 albums to keep people's attention longer and stay in the spotlight.

OraclesofAgony
10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
I got recommended an album by a friend that is a pretty fucking fun listen.

Chapel's "Satan's Rock 'N' Roll", they're Blackened Speed Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9YwNNturM

OraclesofAgony
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
I think originally I had Hideous Divinity and Hour of Penance ahead of Napalm Death this year months back, but in anticipation of seeing Napalm live next month and listening to the new album a lot lately, I'm putting it back at the top of the albums I've heard this year. It's so damn good.

Addicted2metal
10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
new Stone Sour:rocker::rocker::rocker:

dcmetal108
10-16-2012, 10:04 PM
new Stone Sour:rocker::rocker::rocker:

it leaked?!?!?!?!?!??!

Indestructible
10-17-2012, 05:16 AM
New My Dying Bride!A Map of All Our Failures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Map_of_All_Our_Failures)

Kneel Till Doomsday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G86dppRBtxs):horns:

Hail Odysseus
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tgJZNKJ6k):horns: :drool:

dcmetal108
10-17-2012, 07:42 AM
New Stone Sour is really good.

powerslave_85
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
smh that this whole page isn't everyone losing their shit over the new Pig Destroyer.

BloodoftheKings
10-17-2012, 01:21 PM
smh that this whole page isn't everyone losing their shit over the new Pig Destroyer.

Is it out yet? I haven't seen any links.

powerslave_85
10-17-2012, 01:27 PM
It's streaming on NPR.

mastodon421
10-17-2012, 02:29 PM

I haven't heard it yet, but the early reception (not from critics, all the critical reviews have been very high) is that is their weakest record yet. Like I said though, I haven't I heard it yet and clearly I'll reserve judgement till I hear it.

smearCampaign
10-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Even if it turns out to be the weakest Pig Destroyer album, it still slays 90% of the metal that came out this year.

BloodoftheKings
10-17-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm towards the end of my first listen and I think it's better than Phantom Limb.

mastodon421
10-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Even if it turns out to be the weakest Pig Destroyer album, it still slays 90% of the metal that came out this year.

Good point. I'm not even a big grind fan and I think Pig Destroyer is fucking badass.

OraclesofAgony
10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
I know I'm late to the party, since I just started checking out a lot of new releases recently, but the new Cattle Decapitation is pretty damn awesome.

IrritatedTrout
10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Got the new album from The Sword yesterday. It's cool.

slapguitarer
10-24-2012, 07:11 PM
New Bison B.C. is AOTY material.

OraclesofAgony
10-24-2012, 08:22 PM
So I listened to the new The Faceless more, and it's bad. :( Sorry to say. My expectations were probably way too high after Planetary Duality.

kalfitegrdan
10-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Almost all the way through Dethalbum III and not liking as much as the previous two, but it's still pretty awesome. I Ejaculate Fire, The Galaxy, Ghostqueen and Impeach God all kick ass.

Also, just listened to the new Anaal Nathrakh and :wow: Definitely top 10 material.

W0unds
10-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Almost all the way through Dethalbum III and not liking as much as the previous two, but it's still pretty awesome. I Ejaculate Fire, The Galaxy, Ghostqueen and Impeach God all kick ass.

I found it better than Dethalbum II not quite as good as their debut. I find that Rejoin and the Galaxy are my most listened to tracks off the new album, hoping to hear them live.

kalfitegrdan
10-25-2012, 07:11 AM
I found it better than Dethalbum II not quite as good as their debut. I find that Rejoin and the Galaxy are my most listened to tracks off the new album, hoping to hear them live.

I might like it more the more I listen to it. The first two are still in constant rotation in my playlists, so the familiarity pushes me to prefer them. Yeah, I really hope they play Galaxy live. I bet they will because the special edition comes with a music video for Galaxy and I Ejaculate Fire, so that's what will be on the screen behind the stage.

adamclark52
10-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Got the new PxDx. It's pretty good but yeah, probably their weakest. It's probably closest to their debut in terms of overall sound. It does lack is the catchier songs. I know grindcore shouldn't be catchy but throwing in songs like Pissangel, Thumbsucker and Gravedancer amoungst all the chaos was what I love about earlier PxDx. This album is more straight-up grind with a lot of hardcore. There are moments where I almost want to headbang (I don't headbang) but not too many. And those moments are so short that it's usually four songs later that I realize I wanted to headbang. I don't mind all the guest vocalists either, even though JR is probably one of my favorite vocalists of all-time.

Two things I hated. I hate that the last song ends in a fade-out (during the best riff of the album). I hate fade-outs, especially on an album like this. And the artwork is brutal, in a bad way. Hate it. The cover is ugly. All the white is ugly. And the booklet looks like something from a mid-nineties indie-hardcore band from Oshawa's demo tape.

So yeah, I guess I don't like a lot about it. I took me two years to fully appreciate Phantom Limb so who knows how I'll feel about this one in a year. I do think that after over five years the expectations were so high that it was bound to let some people down (other that the writers at Metal Sucks.com).

BloodoftheKings
10-25-2012, 08:21 AM

But Dethalbum II was leaps and bounds better than the first album. The onyy songs I really dig on III are I Ejaculate Fire, Crush the Industry, and Skyhunter. The Galaxy is pretty cool too.

Nater
10-26-2012, 08:03 PM
:rocker:The Sword album is alright but HOLY SHIT TROGLODYTE IS FUCKING AMAZING!

mankvill
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
:rocker:The Sword album is alright but HOLY SHIT TROGLODYTE IS FUCKING AMAZING!

:D:D:D:D

XDoomsayerX
10-27-2012, 10:40 PM
New Stone Sour is muuuy bueno! :D

300%_Density
10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Dammit. I was excited about the new Aerosmith. Then I listened to it. There's only like 3 redeemable tracks out of the 15. More disapointment when a band goes and tries to recapture old 70s glory w/ the guy who did your older, more successful albums. Lover Alot is one of the best songs Aerosmith has done in quite awhile. Everything else is meh.

What the hell? I didn't even know they did a song w/ Carrie Fucking Underwood? That should have tipped me off from the beginning. Idk if this would even be good for Aerosmith diehards.

IrritatedTrout
10-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Carrie Underwood > Aerosmith

jd091
10-30-2012, 11:39 AM
sup nerds, any doom fans should check out Sorcerer's Pledge. If anyone is into hardcore and knows Twitching Tongues, its the vocalist's side project. Pretty fucking sick.

http://sorcererspledge.bandcamp.com/album/behold

John The Drummer
10-30-2012, 11:58 AM
The new BTBAM and Enslaved are amazing!!!

slapguitarer
10-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Y'know I've come to actually really dislike the new BTBAM. Too try hard prog and ends up sounding like circus shit with rehashed heavy riffs. Only tracks I like are Astral Body, Bloom and Black Box

mastodon421
10-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Y'know I've come to actually really dislike the new BTBAM. Too try hard prog and ends up sounding like circus shit with rehashed heavy riffs. Only tracks I like are Astral Body, Bloom and Black Box

Nice troll;)

slapguitarer
10-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Except I'm not. It's by far the biggest disappointment of the year.

mastodon421
10-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Except I'm not. It's by far the biggest disappointment of the year.

I knew you weren't trolling, I just felt like being my typical sarcastic self because I strongly disagree with you.

street_burial
11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm really starting to like the new Converge album.

christopher
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm really starting to like the new Converge album.

I'm in love with it! Especially the title track!

street_burial
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm in love with it! Especially the title track!

It's always been hard for me to get into them for some reason, but after listening to the tracks off the split with ND I decided to check it out, and I'm really surprised with how good it is. I wish it was a couple tracks longer though.

street_burial
11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
New Every Time I Die confirmed for awesomeness

slapguitarer
11-01-2012, 09:22 PM
New Every Time I Die confirmed for awesomeness

Late as fuck

street_burial
11-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Late as fuck

Yeah I haven't had time to check out any new albums for a while. The next few days I'll be catching up.

Addicted2metal
11-03-2012, 07:22 PM
new All That Remains album :barf:

treghet
11-04-2012, 01:47 AM
The new Nile is just decent. Would have been completely mediocre if Karl Sanders wasn't such a fucking great guitar player. Easily the worst album of their career.

See, this is what I'm talking about. All these extreme comments. Jesus Fucking Christ.

To those who haven't listened yet (or who are waiting based on comments like these), don't be discouraged. It's a damn decent album - just maybe not their best.

I finally checked out the new Nile and I wanted to reply to this post specifically. I have to agree with mastodon421 here. That's not to say the album is bad, but it is the weakest link amongst Nile's discography. Now as much as I hoped that they would make another album on par with Those Whom the Gods Detest, I didn't expect it to happen. However, I also didn't expect to be let down like this. There are a lot of elements on this album that caused my disappointment, so I'll just highlight the main ones. Firstly, the lack of deep gutturals struck me as odd. That was really a staple of their sound, and while they are still there, they only pop up on occasion. But with that being said, the raspy mid-range vocals have grown on me a lot since I first listened to "The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased."

Moving on, the second part that disappointed me was the production. Those Whom the Gods Detest was very clean, but it also retained that immensely heavy sound. In comparison, At the Gate of Sethu just sounds flat. It's not a huge issue, but it does effect the album quite a bit. Lastly, what disappointed me the most was the lack of great songs. There are a couple that stand out, but they don't come close to blowing me away. As a stand alone album, At the Gate of Sethu is still very good, but it doesn't reach the bar that Nile has set with their previous releases.

MetalIsArt
11-04-2012, 02:33 AM
My God, Aerosmith's Music From Another Dimension! is a big letdown for me.

Sounds like JPP with vaguely incorporated elements from Pump, way too many ballads, way too many songs with Love in the title and Beautiful is just wtf?

I do like Street Jesus, Oh Yeah (despite the terrible lyrics) Loveralot & Out Go The Lights.

dcmetal108
11-04-2012, 04:42 PM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/Xtreme_Patriote/Covers/4534456.jpg

And that's some great ass cover.

mastodon421
11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I finally checked out the new Nile and I wanted to reply to this post specifically. I have to agree with mastodon421 here. That's not to say the album is bad, but it is the weakest link amongst Nile's discography. Now as much as I hoped that they would make another album on par with Those Whom the Gods Detest, I didn't expect it to happen. However, I also didn't expect to be let down like this. There are a lot of elements on this album that caused my disappointment, so I'll just highlight the main ones. Firstly, the lack of deep gutturals struck me as odd. That was really a staple of their sound, and while they are still there, they only pop up on occasion. But with that being said, the raspy mid-range vocals have grown on me a lot since I first listened to "The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased."

Moving on, the second part that disappointed me was the production. Those Whom the Gods Detest was very clean, but it also retained that immensely heavy sound. In comparison, At the Gate of Sethu just sounds flat. It's not a huge issue, but it does effect the album quite a bit. Lastly, what disappointed me the most was the lack of great songs. There are a couple that stand out, but they don't come close to blowing me away. As a stand alone album, At the Gate of Sethu is still very good, but it doesn't reach the bar that Nile has set with their previous releases.

Probably the first time this sentenced has been uttered in the history of the board:lol:

Rocco44
11-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Recently listened to the new Wintersun and have to admit I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's bloated, cheesy, and overproduced like I thought but it still puts a smile on my face. Disappointed in the absence of guitars but it's so damn catchy especially the title track. Only 30 minutes of material but that's probably just the right amount of Wintersun that should be listened to at one time at this point.

A few other albums I've heard and enjoyed recently include Daylight Dies, Evoken, Eis, Bison BC, Converge, and Neurosis.

BloodoftheKings
11-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Once I get power back i'm gonna check out the new Dragged Into Sunlight, maybe the new Bad Brains (though it will most likely be terrible), and the new Soundgarden once it leaks. Once I've heard those I think i'll be able to start finalizing my end of the year list.

Probably the first time this sentenced has been uttered in the history of the board:lol:

Off the top of my head the only really ridiculous thing you've ever said on here was that the new Baroness sounded like Neutral Milk Hotel.

DethMaiden
11-05-2012, 06:13 AM
I'll echo the "this Nile album is the worst Nile album but hey, it's still a Nile album" sentiment. It's probably in my top 20, but I do have huge gripes with it. Hoping the next one sounds more like Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest, which are goddamn all-time classics of death fucking metal.

kalfitegrdan
11-05-2012, 06:46 AM
I'll echo the "this Nile album is the worst Nile album but hey, it's still a Nile album" sentiment. It's probably in my top 20, but I do have huge gripes with it. Hoping the next one sounds more like Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest, which are goddamn all-time classics of death fucking metal.

:lovedup:
I agree.

larvtard
11-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Off the top of my head the only really ridiculous thing you've ever said on here was that the new Baroness sounded like Neutral Milk Hotel.

To be fair, I thought Green had somewhat of a Bon Iver/Mumford and Sons vibe. But then again, I don't really listen to those bands that much. In any case, I do like Green a lot.

dcmetal108
11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
New Green Day leaked.

powerslave_85
11-05-2012, 02:08 PM
My God, Aerosmith's Music From Another Dimension! is a big letdown for me.

Sounds like JPP with vaguely incorporated elements from Pump, way too many ballads, way too many songs with Love in the title and Beautiful is just wtf?

I do like Street Jesus, Oh Yeah (despite the terrible lyrics) & Out Go The Lights.
LOL @ listening to Aerosmith in 2012. Or at all, really.

christopher
11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I just heard the new Bad Religion song. Its good, but a big let down. They promised No Control part 2. I'm sure the song is a hit or something, so I'm going to wait for the rest of the album to come out before hating on it.

SomewhereInTime72
11-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Got my hands on the new Hiromi album finally. It's great, as usual. To consistently and quickly put out so much good music is why she is by and far my favorite jazz musician of the past... 30 or so years. :drool: also cuz she caters to my progboner sometimes

slapguitarer
11-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Got my hands on the new Hiromi album finally. It's great, as usual. To consistently and quickly put out so much good music is why she is by and far my favorite jazz musician of the past... 30 or so years. :drool: also cuz she caters to my progboner sometimes

She has another new one? Gonna have to find it...

SomewhereInTime72
11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Yeah, took me a good while before it showed up on my radar too, considering 75% of what I "follow" is metal I sometimes notice a little late in the game when cool non-metal things come out. :dorky: Oh, for shame.

hb420
11-05-2012, 11:03 PM
The new Amenra album Neurot Recordings is putting out in a couple weeks is fucking amazing. It's as if Jacob from Converge fronted Rwake in covering Neurosis. :drool:

MetalIsArt
11-06-2012, 01:29 AM
LOL @ listening to Aerosmith in 2012. Or at all, really.

How old are you, lil' Green Day fan?

El Gordo
11-06-2012, 02:52 AM
How old are you, lil' Green Day fan?

Aerosmith in 2012 is exactly as bad as Green Day. It's a wash!

dcmetal108
11-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Soundgarden leaked.

BloodoftheKings
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Aerosmith in 2012 is exactly as bad as Green Day. It's a wash!

In 2012 they're about equal but overall Green Day is better.

300%_Density
11-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Has anybody listened to new Soundgarden yet? I will listen tonight. Don't want to get let down.

BloodoftheKings
11-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Has anybody listened to new Soundgarden yet? I will listen tonight. Don't want to get let down.

I'm gonna listen to it once my power comes back. I can't really be let down cause I fully expect it to be mediocre.

Indestructible
11-06-2012, 04:38 PM
The new Soundgarden single is good but it could be better. Hopefully the new album sounds better.

El Gordo
11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
In 2012 they're about equal but overall Green Day is better.

Hahaha what? No. Toys in the Attic has more riffs than Green Day's entire career.

300%_Density
11-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm gonna listen to it once my power comes back. I can't really be let down cause I fully expect it to be mediocre.

Yea. Kinda my expectations too.

BloodoftheKings
11-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Hahaha what? No. Toys in the Attic has more riffs than Green Day's entire career.

So the quality of a band is measured by the quantity of riffs in their music? This is news to me.

mastodon421
11-07-2012, 01:09 PM
New Deftones leaked

DementedX14
11-07-2012, 05:27 PM
New Deftones leaked

Finally! :party:

I think this is a strong contender for AOTY for me.

hellawaits77ny
11-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Ok dudes, haven't been keeping up w/ too much that's been released this year, except for the bands I know and like. Heading to Toronto for the hockey card expo tommorrow, so I'll have 13-14 hours of drive time over the next 3 days. Gimme some good albums that've been released. Death metal, hardcore, etc. Many thanks!!

Spiner202
11-08-2012, 07:00 AM
The new Sinister record is pretty killer. I haven't really followed the band much, aside from hearing one of their older records, but the new album is really good. It is insanely heavy and intense, but it doesn't rely on blastbeats the whole time.

brutal_descent
11-08-2012, 07:11 AM
More than halfway through Koi No Yokan and I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I love everything the Deftones have done, but this is so underwhelming in comparison to Diamond Eyes. The only tracks that have stood out for me so far have been 'Poltergeist' and 'Leathers'.

Edit: False alarm. Four of the songs I've listened to since I wrote the above comment have really impressed me. Still not as good as Diamond Eyes, but I'm digging it a bit more than their self-titled release.

masterguy49
11-08-2012, 01:50 PM
More than halfway through Koi No Yokan and I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I love everything the Deftones have done, but this is so underwhelming in comparison to Diamond Eyes. The only tracks that have stood out for me so far have been 'Poltergeist' and 'Leathers'.

Edit: False alarm. Four of the songs I've listened to since I wrote the above comment have really impressed me. Still not as good as Diamond Eyes, but I'm digging it a bit more than their self-titled release.

You insane? I just started the album and Swerve City is awesome!

jhdeity
11-08-2012, 04:16 PM
You insane? I just started the album and Swerve City is awesome!

Yeah Swerve City slays. 2 listens in it won't top Diamond Eyes (possibly my cd of the decade) but it's still really cool.

Natrlhi
11-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Got the new PxDx. It's pretty good but yeah, probably their weakest. It's probably closest to their debut in terms of overall sound. It does lack is the catchier songs. I know grindcore shouldn't be catchy but throwing in songs like Pissangel, Thumbsucker and Gravedancer amoungst all the chaos was what I love about earlier PxDx. This album is more straight-up grind with a lot of hardcore. There are moments where I almost want to headbang (I don't headbang) but not too many. And those moments are so short that it's usually four songs later that I realize I wanted to headbang. I don't mind all the guest vocalists either, even though JR is probably one of my favorite vocalists of all-time.

Two things I hated. I hate that the last song ends in a fade-out (during the best riff of the album). I hate fade-outs, especially on an album like this. And the artwork is brutal, in a bad way. Hate it. The cover is ugly. All the white is ugly. And the booklet looks like something from a mid-nineties indie-hardcore band from Oshawa's demo tape.

So yeah, I guess I don't like a lot about it. I took me two years to fully appreciate Phantom Limb so who knows how I'll feel about this one in a year. I do think that after over five years the expectations were so high that it was bound to let some people down (other that the writers at Metal Sucks.com).I was a bit underwhelmed at first, but the fucker has really grown on me. I especially like the tracks where Kat does vocals. You're right, there's not exactly any tracks as catchy as "Gravedancer" on here, but it's still got a ton of tasty riffs once you give it a few spins and keep listening. Probably not their best album, though, I would agree.

On the other hand, I was VERY pleasantly surprised by Neurosis. I fully expected it to be good, but Gawd Dam! That shit is a fucking beastly album, my friends. It's a fucking sin that nobody on here seems to be talking about it. I'll be reviewing it soon (and by "soon" I mean sometime this year - maybe).

Other stuff I've listened to recently and liked:

Castle. Fuck yeah, that album rocks.
Converge was even better than I expected.
The new Isis isn't just for hardcore completists. There's actually some stuff on there that even casual fans need to hear. Plus, it's fucking Isis.
New Bison is pretty sweet. No surprise there.
Yakuza is good, but so far it hasn't wowed me as much as "Seismic" did.
I like what I've heard so far from the new Anal Athkrakh.

Haven't had time to check out The Sword, Early Graves or Mono yet, but am expecting good things from all of them. I've been so busy at work lately I don't even know which way is up. First time in a long time that I'm significant behind on listening to new shit (never mind commenting on it).

christopher
11-09-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm listening to the new Gaza and its soo sick!!

hellawaits77ny
11-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Finally got a chance to listen to the new Grave. I really like the first 2 songs, especially track 2. Man, that song kills. Rest of the album is solid, but a bit boring IMO. It's like a lot of Grave's albums to me. Couple great songs, the rest solid but kinda meh. They'll probably sound great live, though.

treghet
11-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Watain has signed to Century Media and will be releasing a new album next year.

Sanitarium78
11-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Has anyone listened to the new Soundgarden enough to form an opinion on it yet? I've heard it five or six times and it's not doing anything for me. There's some OK tunes but overall it's just meh.

IrritatedTrout
11-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I like it so far but I've only listened to it all the way through once.

BloodoftheKings
11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Has anyone listened to the new Soundgarden enough to form an opinion on it yet? I've heard it five or six times and it's not doing anything for me. There's some OK tunes but overall it's just meh.

I heard most of it when my friend played it in the car. It just sounds ok.

Dextrimental
11-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Koi No Yokan is top ten for me anyway. Deftones just can do no wrong. I'm only a fan these last two years, but they've now become one of my favorite bands. Incredible stuff!

kalfitegrdan
11-15-2012, 04:57 PM
The new Biohazard album would be pretty damn good if it weren't for all those quasi nu-metal moments.

hellawaits77ny
11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
The new Biohazard album would be pretty damn good if it weren't for all those quasi nu-metal moments.

Yeah, there are some shitty moments on the album.

kalfitegrdan
11-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah, there are some shitty moments on the album.

Yeah, definitely. I wish the majority of the album were as good as the song Vengeance is Mine.

New Cancer Bats album kicks a lot of ass.

Sinister_Chalupa666
11-15-2012, 09:27 PM

*SLAP*

New Tones album is amazing!!! The pacing and song placement is soooooooooooooooo much better compared to Diamond Eyes. I love DE but the song placements and pacing on that whole album is so bad.

For me Rosemary is one the best songs on the album. That riff :rocker:

smearCampaign
11-15-2012, 10:41 PM
*SLAP*

New Tones album is amazing!!! The pacing and song placement is soooooooooooooooo much better compared to Diamond Eyes. I love DE but the song placements and pacing on that whole album is so bad.

For me Rosemary is one the best songs on the album. That riff :rocker:

Did you go to the Deftones show in SA tonight? What did they play?!

hellawaits77ny
11-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Yeah, definitely. I wish the majority of the album were as good as the song Vengeance is Mine.

Yep, great tune.

treghet
11-16-2012, 04:44 AM
New Incantation is pretty good. I'm enjoying it more than Primordial Domination.

hellawaits77ny
11-16-2012, 04:50 AM
New Incantation is pretty good. I'm enjoying it more than Primordial Domination.

Shit that's right, gotta check that out.

Sinister_Chalupa666
11-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Did you go to the Deftones show in SA tonight? What did they play?!

NO! :mad::flame::mad::flame:

So pissed I didn't get to go. Just found out they added Swerve City as well :mad::mad::mad:

MPF
11-17-2012, 10:24 PM
I thought I had my Top 20 of 2012 set in stone.....then I heard this:

http://obsidiankingdom.bandcamp.com/album/mantiis

treghet
11-17-2012, 10:35 PM
And now you know why everybody was saying not to start so early.

XDoomsayerX
11-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Death Grips The Money Store=fucking quality! :drool:
Repeat repeat repeat.

MPF
11-17-2012, 10:42 PM
And now you know why everybody was saying not to start so early.

No one said that to me. I gave a very good explanation as to why I started my thread when I did, and I still stand behind it and will continue to do so. I don't wanna spend 2013, talking about 2012.

This just came out yesterday so I had no prior knowledge to it and there is very few albums that are coming out this year that would affect my top 20. And if this one does get in the Top 20 (with repeated listens, i think it will it's just that damn good good) that means an album moved to number 21, which means I still listen to it a lot.

Also my thread is meant more for you guys than me. Because I know there is music in there you haven't heard that you may like. if not, I still have a fuckload more to go to show off. ANd still if not, I tried :D

Till then, check them out!

treghet
11-17-2012, 10:54 PM
No one said that to me. I gave a very good explanation as to why I started my thread when I did, and I still stand behind it and will continue to do so. I don't wanna spend 2013, talking about 2012.

This just came out yesterday so I had no prior knowledge to it and there is very few albums that are coming out this year that would affect my top 20. And if this one does get in the Top 20 (with repeated listens, i think it will it's just that damn good good) that means an album moved to number 21, which means I still listen to it a lot.

Also my thread is meant more for you guys than me. Because I know there is music in there you haven't heard that you may like. if not, I still have a fuckload more to go to show off. ANd still if not, I tried :D

Till then, check them out!

I just looked at your thread again and realized you haven't started the top 20, so I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I'm not telling you that you have to start your list in the last week of the year, I'm just saying that you never know what you're going to find. I just recently found a band who put out their first album this year and it's in my top 10 now.

MPF
11-17-2012, 11:02 PM
I just looked at your thread again and realized you haven't started the top 20, so I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I'm not telling you that you have to start your list in the last week of the year, I'm just saying that you never know what you're going to find. I just recently found a band who put out their first album this year and it's in my top 10 now.

Oh yeah I don't plan on posting my Top 20 till January 1st, when I air it on my radio show. Everything up till then is still up for grabs. I discover new music every single day (a blessing and a burden) Its very rare that an album that I had no prior knowledge to jumps out at me. It's happen 3 times this year (I won't mention 2 of those 3 bands, the one is Obsidian Kingdom, whom people should check out immediately). Sometimes it takes a while to sink in, sometimes not at all. I just didn't think anything that came out after Mid November was going to make my top 20, and I have been proven wrong.

BloodoftheKings
11-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Death Grips The Money Store=fucking quality! :drool:
Repeat repeat repeat.

I'm gonna laugh when this album wins MS album of the year.

hellawaits77ny
11-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Absofuckinglutely digging the new Incantation. Vocals are awesome. Not an expert by any means, but this is the most gutteral I can recall their vocals being. I love it.

Spiner202
11-18-2012, 04:25 AM

This is a good point, but I think if you wait until mid-December, you know everything that will be out for the year. Earlier this week I found out Air Raid is releasing their full-length at the beginning of December, and then just yesterday I also discovered that Rocka Rollas new EP comes out the same day.

With that said, you've heard so many albums this year that I don't blame you. I started getting promos this year and even though I've heard a lot of new music, I don't make an effort to listen to all of them like you seem to :P

mastodon421
11-18-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm gonna laugh when this album wins MS album of the year.

If it did win, I have a feeling the bitching would exceed last year (which would be borderline impossible).

XDoomsayerX
11-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Yo to them peeps who like rap recommend me your top 10 rap albums this year and some rap artist/groups in general. :D

smearCampaign
11-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Yo to them peeps who like rap recommend me your top 10 rap albums this year and some rap artist/groups in general. :D

I don't listen to a ton of rap/hip-hop, but here is what I enjoyed this year in no particular order:
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Aesop Rock - Skelethon
El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
Nas - Life Is Good
Raekwon - Unexpected Victory Mixtape

ShatteredFlame
11-18-2012, 10:40 AM

I also recommend those Killer Mike and El-P albums.

And:
P.O.S - We Don't Even Live Here
Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva N a Day
Joey Bada$$ - 1999
Billy Woods - History Will Absolve Me
The Gift of Gab - The Next Logical Progression
Ab-Soul - Control System
Schoolboy-Q - Habits and Contradictions
Marijuana Deathsquads - Tamper, Disable, Destroy
Kendrick Lamar - good kid maad city

It didn't necessarily come out this year but the deluxe edition of the album XXX by Danny Brown came out with 3 extra songs that add to an already perfect album. I also recommend any tracks Danny Brown has been on this year, he is unstoppable.

mastodon421
11-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Kendrick Lamar-good kid, m.A.A.D city
Killer Mike-R.A.P Music
Nas-Life is Good
Big K.R.I.T-4eva na Day
Brother Ali-Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color
Aesop Rock-Skelethon

I still need to check out that El-P album, but I can say that this is easily the best year for hip-hop in recent memory

MPF
11-18-2012, 11:46 AM
This is a good point, but I think if you wait until mid-December, you know everything that will be out for the year. Earlier this week I found out Air Raid is releasing their full-length at the beginning of December, and then just yesterday I also discovered that Rocka Rollas new EP comes out the same day.

With that said, you've heard so many albums this year that I don't blame you. I started getting promos this year and even though I've heard a lot of new music, I don't make an effort to listen to all of them like you seem to :P

haha, well the radio show is the biggest reason why I check out every single album. But even if I didn't have that I'd still check them out just as much as ever since I was in 8th grade I've been looking for new music constantly.

BloodoftheKings
11-18-2012, 12:58 PM
If it did win, I have a feeling the bitching would exceed last year (which would be borderline impossible).

The bitching last year was really stupid, people just got mad that their favorite albums weren't in the top 5. If Death Grips won I think people would have the right to bitch though.

slapguitarer
11-18-2012, 01:26 PM
There's like 5 people that have TMS in a high place. I'm not saying it can't be Top 10, but won't be #1 by a long shot.

mastodon421
11-18-2012, 02:59 PM
The bitching last year was really stupid, people just got mad that their favorite albums weren't in the top 5. If Death Grips won I think people would have the right to bitch though.

I'm with you the bitching last year was fucking ridiculous. I guess people would have the right to bitch if The Money Store won, but I think it's stupid to excessively bitch about the year-end list since it's a group effort and it's a fair voting system.

dcmetal108
11-18-2012, 04:12 PM

I think it could break top 10 though.

Addicted2metal
11-18-2012, 04:18 PM
new All That Remains album still sucks :barf:

BloodoftheKings
11-18-2012, 04:45 PM
There's like 5 people that have TMS in a high place. I'm not saying it can't be Top 10, but won't be #1 by a long shot.

It's pretty much guaranteed top 10 and I actually think it might have a shot at #1. Think about it, has there been any album this year that most of the board can agree is great? If you look at past #1 winners they're usually albums that the board lost their collective shit over and about half the voters would put it in their top 10. As far as I can see no album released this year has had that kind of momentum. I believe that me and 2 other people have The Money Store at #1 and a few more people have it in their top 10. My point is that it looks like this year the votes are gonna be pretty spread out so those votes for TMS are really gonna count.

dcmetal108
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
TMS store is for sure within my top 10.

treghet
11-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Think about it, has there been any album this year that most of the board can agree is great?

Yes. I think all of these will be high in the list: Lamb of God, Converge, Pig Destroyer, Testament, Periphery, Between the Buried and Me. Also, those of you that are into Death Grips may feel that the album is great, but realize that there are not that many of you. Some fans might not consider the new Lamb of God or Pig Destroyer to be great, but they will still receive a lot more votes than Death Grips. I think that will even out the scores.

christopher
11-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Yes. I think all of these will be high in the list: Lamb of God, Converge, Pig Destroyer, Testament, Periphery, Between the Buried and Me.

You forgot Cattle Decapitation :eek:

treghet
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
You forgot Cattle Decapitation :eek:

You're right! :eyes:

ShatteredFlame
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I predict Rush will be #1

XDoomsayerX
11-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Title Fight number 1! :tongue:

treghet
11-18-2012, 10:27 PM
I predict Rush will be #1

Forgot that too. You will probably be right.

mastodon421
11-19-2012, 03:15 AM
I don't think Lamb of God will make the top 10. I was the most vocal fan of it and it's only at number 4 on my list. For the board's album of the year, I think it's a race between Rush, Between The Buried and Me, and maybe Testament. This year is definitely going to be the most interesting top 10 because there has been no album to be released this year that everyone was jizzing themselves over.

Nater
11-19-2012, 06:43 AM
I don't think Lamb of God will make the top 10. I was the most vocal fan of it and it's only at number 4 on my list. For the board's album of the year, I think it's a race between Rush, Between The Buried and Me, and maybe Testament. This year is definitely going to be the most interesting top 10 because there has been no album to be released this year that everyone was jizzing themselves over.

^thats because Vektor didn't release a new album